FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Should nurses beable to strike?

Should nurses beable to strike?

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *hagTonight OP   Man  over a year ago

From the land of haribos.

Of course they should. I heard that they started the strike yesterday and it ends tonight at 12.

NHS organisations across the country will face significant disruption as the rcn holds industrial action

Do you know why they are on strike, is it because of pay or the working hours?

Reply privately (closed, thread got too big)

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

It's clearly about pay and not as much about working environments and the other stuff they want you to believe. They were made a pay offer and turned it down.

I think anyone working in the NHS shouldn't be allowed to strike just like the police aren't.

By *oofy321Man  over a year ago

moon base zero

No they shouldn't strike,nursing is a vocation not a job,they know the pay and conditions when starting.

By *nkyCplCouple  over a year ago

Northampton

I don’t think they should be allowed to strike.

By *icecouple561Couple  over a year ago
Forum Mod

East Sussex

Yes, they should

"No they shouldn't strike,nursing is a vocation not a job,they know the pay and conditions when starting. "

Yeah!! They should sleep on the hospital corridors to save money on houses and be available for more shifts!!

By *uri00620Woman  over a year ago

Croydon

The term 'vocation' is bandied around as justification for poor pay.

I'm not in healthcare but another 'vocational' profession. I don't see it as such. It's a job, I like it and I'm experienced and am good at it. Doesn't mean I should accept a shitty deal.

People across these sectors are leaving in droves. To simply say 'if you can't hack it leave' is laughably simplistic. They are, hence the situation we're in.

By *wist my nipplesCouple  over a year ago

North East Scotland, mostly

Yes, everyone should have the right to strike.

Mrs TMN x

Like all employees, they should be treated in a manner that makes striking unnecessary

I don't believe anyone but the most militant want to strike, people want to be treated fairly, paid properly and felt like they are heard

Northampton

"Yes, everyone should have the right to strike.

Mrs TMN x"

Do you believe the police and army should then out of curiosity?

Can you imagine the carnage if either downed tools over pay/conditions?

I believe striking is their right, change never comes from being passive.

However are the strikes affective? Where is the line drawn? We seem to be in this perpetual cycle now

By *endricks321Couple  over a year ago

Oxfordshire

[Removed by poster at 01/05/23 09:24:35]

By *endricks321Couple  over a year ago

Oxfordshire

"The term 'vocation' is bandied around as justification for poor pay.

I'm not in healthcare but another 'vocational' profession. I don't see it as such. It's a job, I like it and I'm experienced and am good at it. Doesn't mean I should accept a shitty deal.

People across these sectors are leaving in droves. To simply say 'if you can't hack it leave' is laughably simplistic. They are, hence the situation we're in. "

This!!!

By *hirdTimesACharmCouple  over a year ago

northamptonshire

Jr Dr’s, Dr’s and Nurses all have blood on their hands. You don’t go into the healthcare profession to make oodles of money

By *stbury DavenportMan  over a year ago

Nottingham

Everyone should be able to strike. We should all strike more. Part of the reason things are so shitty at the moment is that we don't do it enough.

One out, all out.

By *eavenscentitCouple  over a year ago

barnstaple

"No they shouldn't strike,nursing is a vocation not a job,they know the pay and conditions when starting. "

It's a job, I was a nurse, midwife, Team lead then health & social care manager. My responsibility was vast, I have since retired. Nursing fu..ed up my body and mind. In my generation we had little career choices as a bright working class females, many started training at 18 yrs old - how can you know what a career will turn out to be, we change and so do our expectations. Nursing cannot retain younger people, women have more choices now. Nursing and midwifery are careers. All power to them

Northampton

"Everyone should be able to strike. We should all strike more. Part of the reason things are so shitty at the moment is that we don't do it enough.

One out, all out. "

I’ll ask same to you regarding police & military then. Should they be allowed to strike?

If so what about the repercussions if/when they did?

moon base zero

"No they shouldn't strike,nursing is a vocation not a job,they know the pay and conditions when starting.

Yeah!! They should sleep on the hospital corridors to save money on houses and be available for more shifts!!"

The ops question was should they strike?

The issue is they feel dangerously understaffed and better pay will attract more people to the job. The friends I have that are nurses accept the pay, the unpaid overtime, but when the situation affects their ability to care for patients safely then it’s got to change

By *idnight RamblerMan  over a year ago

Pershore

Stiking is a right I guess. But it's only a right for those who can essentially hold us hostage - like nurses, doctors, train drivers, airport workers etc etc. If you're a butcher's apprentice or roof tiler you're knackered.

Mrs TMN x

Can you imagine the carnage if either downed tools over pay/conditions? "

Yes. Because striking is a last resort. We shouldn't be in a situation where people have to resort to strikes. But it should be everyone's right if pushed to it.

Of course, it only applies to those in employment with organised unions - the rise of self-employment and the gig economy is a whole other pickle.

By *heVonMatterhornsCouple  over a year ago

Lincoln

Everyone should be able to strike. Otherwise what's the choice if you're not happy with the conditions and you aren't being listened to? Leaving. And then that leaves a permanent hole instead, with knock on, spiraling effects.

Yes they chose the profession. They may have also chosen that profession twenty years ago when the pay was "good" but it hasn't risen since. And how is "they chose it" a defence for continually undervaluing any workforce?

*puts soap box away*

LvM

Northampton

"Stiking is a right I guess. But it's only a right for those who can essentially hold us hostage - like nurses, doctors, train drivers, airport workers etc etc. If you're a butcher's apprentice or roof tiler you're knackered."

Never actually considered that, but a very valid point!

By *heVonMatterhornsCouple  over a year ago

Lincoln

Mrs TMN x

Why do you think so many are leaving and they're struggling with recruitment instead now?

LvM

By *ucka39Man  over a year ago

Newcastle

Yes entitled to strike as it's been long overdue, over a decade and still no changes re pay and hours as they are over worked due to not enough staff

Northampton

Mrs TMN x

Yes. Because striking is a last resort. We shouldn't be in a situation where people have to resort to strikes. But it should be everyone's right if pushed to it.

Of course, it only applies to those in employment with organised unions - the rise of self-employment and the gig economy is a whole other pickle. "

So what on earth would happen if let’s say the police downed tools for the weekend to protest? Or during a peace keeping mission the army were just like “nah, taking today off to protest over pay?”?

moon base zero

"The issue is they feel dangerously understaffed and better pay will attract more people to the job. The friends I have that are nurses accept the pay, the unpaid overtime, but when the situation affects their ability to care for patients safely then it’s got to change"

So going on strike makes them care more or less for patients? And before anyone jumps in on me i believe our nurses shouldn't have to strike..pay nurses properly

"Jr Dr’s, Dr’s and Nurses all have blood on their hands. "

and,moreover, so do the governments who have underfunded and pulled apart health & social care system in this country piece by piece

capitalism is king now

there's very little social about it any more and what there is will be gone in your children's lifetime, if not your own

Northampton

Mrs TMN x

Why do you think so many are leaving and they're struggling with recruitment instead now?

LvM"

Oh I agree wholeheartedly, but to say they should strike is hugely narrow minded imo.

The day we aren't allowed to strike is a slippery slope for this country. I totally support everyone's right to strike and have access to a good living wage, its the least we all deserve. The media like to broadcast the strikes in a negative light to turn the public against each other, like they have for years with many different issues. If we are all pointing fingers at each other, we aren't pointing the finger at the people who caused all this mess in the first place. We all need to support each other and stop accepting our people struggling when the richest are thriving.

By *ove2pleaseseukMan  over a year ago

Hastings

"The term 'vocation' is bandied around as justification for poor pay.

People across these sectors are leaving in droves. To simply say 'if you can't hack it leave' is laughably simplistic. They are, hence the situation we're in. "

I agree totally with this.

Very few are going it to the profession so numbers are falling and all the UK dose is import more foreign cheep labour rather then value what is all ready there.

So I guess if NHS staff can't strick the only option is leave. How dose that help.

By *inda May SimmonsTV/TS  over a year ago

hexham

FOR GOD’S SAKE: YES!

Every working person should have the right to withhold their labour if their employer is not treating them fairly!

How hard is it to understand that very basic right?

Now move on

Northampton

"FOR GOD’S SAKE: YES!

Every working person should have the right to withhold their labour if their employer is not treating them fairly!

Now move on "

Please check my previous responses to similar and answer about police & military….or move on.

By *orksRockerMan  over a year ago

Bradford

Two years ago, most people were clapping and saying how wonderful and grateful they were for our actual REAL angels. Doesn't take long for everyone to forget...

Jesus, some in here and in the country, need a reality check.

"They knew what they were getting into when the went for that career." Ffs listen to yourself.

Jonathan Pie here nails the real reason....

https://youtu.be/Gljtvwhcdhc

Hastings

Mrs TMN x

For me yes Both should be allowed to strike as said if not the only option is leave. And retention in the police is poor at best I would guess it costs alot to train these people then they up and leave. For better roles

Northampton

"

Jesus, some in here and in the country, need a reality check."

I actually agree with this, but probably for the opposite reason.

I believe if you can't strike then you need protections in law.

After all, we have the triple lock... (Off topic: why isn't this inflationary ?)

By *addad99Man  over a year ago

Rotherham /newquay

I believe anyone should be able to with old there labour and at any time

Northampton

Mrs TMN x

For me yes Both should be allowed to strike as said if not the only option is leave. And retention in the police is poor at best I would guess it costs alot to train these people then they up and leave. For better roles "

Fair play for answering honestly bud. What do you think would happen if the police downed tools for the weekend, or the army say mid conflict?

Northampton

"I believe if you can't strike then you need protections in law.

After all, we have the triple lock... (Off topic: why isn't this inflationary ?)"

This is the sort of input I was hoping for. A bit of realism.

By *icecouple561Couple  over a year ago
Forum Mod

East Sussex

I'm reminded of Huw Pill the bank of England guy who said we must just all accept being worse off...before he went home to the London flat his parents bought.

By *ellhungvweMan  over a year ago

Cheltenham

I think nurses should be able to strike.

I also think we need to stop putting them on pedestals and claiming they are somehow doing a higher calling - they are just normal people doing a job and should have the rights that come with that.

By *UGGYBEAR2015Man  over a year ago

BRIDPORT

"FOR GOD’S SAKE: YES!

Now move on "

Therein lies the issue, ‘fairness’ is subject to opinion.

One parties ‘fair’ , is another parties ‘unfair’.

I say this whilst expressing no opinion of any specific dispute.

By *obilebottomMan  over a year ago

All over

Oh dear some people are really showing their truly undemocratic traits on here. I love the forums, it makes me see the kind of people I would want nothing to do with. People engrossed in so much political ideology and dogma that have forgotten about people, human rights and to be honest, kindness and fairness towards others. On that note, I am out as not keen on too much barking so early in the morning.

Rotherham /newquay

"Jr Dr’s, Dr’s and Nurses all have blood on their hands. You don’t go into the healthcare profession to make oodles of money"
no but you do enter it and expected to be treated and payed well.

By *oleraine-coupleCouple  over a year ago

coleraine

Yes they should be allowed to strike. It’s a shame so many people clapped for them who now don’t support them being paid and treated properly.

Northampton

"Oh dear some people are really showing their truly undemocratic traits on here. I love the forums, it makes me see the kind of people I would want nothing to do with. People engrossed in so much political ideology and dogma that have forgotten about people, human rights and to be honest, kindness and fairness towards others. On that note, I am out as not keen on too much barking so early in the morning. "

Can’t say I’ve seen any of that on this thread.

Rotherham /newquay

"Everyone should be able to strike. We should all strike more. Part of the reason things are so shitty at the moment is that we don't do it enough.

One out, all out.

I’ll ask same to you regarding police & military then. Should they be allowed to strike?

If so what about the repercussions if/when they did?"

yes they should repercussions will be on those in charge for failing

By *wo for luckCouple  over a year ago

Edinburgh

If you look at any job/industry with decent pay and conditions…. They all have unions. The loss of decent pay in most cases is directly linked with the collapse of unions. That’s all about the making of extreme profits.

coleraine

Of course it’s a job.

They knew the pay and conditions yes they have been arrived over many years

Northampton

One out, all out.

If so what about the repercussions if/when they did?yes they should repercussions will be on those in charge for failing "

No, it would be on the people and civilians affected by the strikes mostly.

Mrs TMN x

Of course, it only applies to those in employment with organised unions - the rise of self-employment and the gig economy is a whole other pickle.

So what on earth would happen if let’s say the police downed tools for the weekend to protest? Or during a peace keeping mission the army were just like “nah, taking today off to protest over pay?”?"

It would be pretty bloody disruptive. Kinda the point of a strike. When you've reached the point where nobody is listening to you, you've been undervalued and underpaid for years, apart from leaving you're backed into a corner.

It's about rights for me. If you take that right away from some people because it's too disruptive, where do you stop with that argument? I don't believe the vast majority of people want to strike. But consistent underfunding, underinvestment and erosion of our public sector institutions has pushed us here.

"Jr Dr’s, Dr’s and Nurses all have blood on their hands. You don’t go into the healthcare profession to make oodles of money"

They don't. The government who put them in that position in the first place has the blood on their hands....The NHS is on it's knees and people are ranging in the wrong direction

Hastings

Mrs TMN x

For me yes Both should be allowed to strike as said if not the only option is leave. And retention in the police is poor at best I would guess it costs alot to train these people then they up and leave. For better roles

Fair play for answering honestly bud. What do you think would happen if the police downed tools for the weekend, or the army say mid conflict?"

The same as when all A&E nurses strike but there not wife left this morning at 6.30 to go and do a 13hour shift in A&E.

So would be the same for the police & army they would have to keep a basic service.

Northampton

Mrs TMN x

So what on earth would happen if let’s say the police downed tools for the weekend to protest? Or during a peace keeping mission the army were just like “nah, taking today off to protest over pay?”?

It would be pretty bloody disruptive. Kinda the point of a strike. When you've reached the point where nobody is listening to you, you've been undervalued and underpaid for years, apart from leaving you're backed into a corner.

It's about rights for me. If you take that right away from some people because it's too disruptive, where do you stop with that argument? I don't believe the vast majority of people want to strike. But consistent underfunding, underinvestment and erosion of our public sector institutions has pushed us here. "

The thing is it wouldn’t just be disruptive if either took strike action. It would be bedlam and likely lives lost (particularly if forces decided to strike during conflict which is when stress & pay would be at the forefront of minds).

After all, we have the triple lock... (Off topic: why isn't this inflationary ?)"

Protections in law... We are hugely behind on this with the rise of the gig economy.

coleraine

I think you mean the Government. You go into healthcare like any other profession to be treated fairly and with respect. It’s a career not a hobby

Let's hope all the people who support the strikes don't have a life or death medical emergency whilst the strikes are on and someone they love life is in jeopardy because it would be awful for them to have to get off their high horse.

Mrs TMN x

It's about rights for me. If you take that right away from some people because it's too disruptive, where do you stop with that argument? I don't believe the vast majority of people want to strike. But consistent underfunding, underinvestment and erosion of our public sector institutions has pushed us here.

The thing is it wouldn’t just be disruptive if either took strike action. It would be bedlam and likely lives lost (particularly if forces decided to strike during conflict which is when stress & pay would be at the forefront of minds).

"

Are you looking to debate people's right to strike or just make a point about a hypothetical situation?

By *holelotofrosieCouple  over a year ago

newtown

"Everyone should be able to strike. Otherwise what's the choice if you're not happy with the conditions and you aren't being listened to? Leaving. And then that leaves a permanent hole instead, with knock on, spiraling effects.

Yes they chose the profession. They may have also chosen that profession twenty years ago when the pay was "good" but it hasn't risen since. And how is "they chose it" a defence for continually undervaluing any workforce?

*puts soap box away*

LvM"

At last some sense !

Northampton

Mrs TMN x

Fair play for answering honestly bud. What do you think would happen if the police downed tools for the weekend, or the army say mid conflict?

The same as when all A&E nurses strike but there not wife left this morning at 6.30 to go and do a 13hour shift in A&E.

So would be the same for the police & army they would have to keep a basic service.

"

Ok so only some people should be allowed to strike at any one time? Basic services should always be available?

I could go with that, but would take a lot of power away from unions. It’s not an easy one to answer.

Northampton

Mrs TMN x

Are you looking to debate people's right to strike or just make a point about a hypothetical situation? "

Both as they’re interlinked.

barnstaple

Mrs TMN x

Fair play for answering honestly bud. What do you think would happen if the police downed tools for the weekend, or the army say mid conflict?"

The police, well where to begin. My ex worked in the Met, he was an ex soldier. He got free travel in London, free prescriptions, housing or housing allowance, overtime where alot of it was sitting around. I appreciate these terms & conditions have changed but, the police could have stood together. He went in with 6 O levels, some had very little in the way of qualifications. Whilst in the army he was housed, fed and had a subsidised naff.

coleraine

"The day we aren't allowed to strike is a slippery slope for this country. I totally support everyone's right to strike and have access to a good living wage, its the least we all deserve. The media like to broadcast the strikes in a negative light to turn the public against each other, like they have for years with many different issues. If we are all pointing fingers at each other, we aren't pointing the finger at the people who caused all this mess in the first place. We all need to support each other and stop accepting our people struggling when the richest are thriving. "

This

Hastings

After all, we have the triple lock... (Off topic: why isn't this inflationary ?)

This is the sort of input I was hoping for. A bit of realism. "

I think for nurses the nail was 10% for benifit / out of work but 3% for Nurses and as said triple lock on penchens

Why not 10% to all?

By *holelotofrosieCouple  over a year ago

newtown

"Let's hope all the people who support the strikes don't have a life or death medical emergency whilst the strikes are on and someone they love life is in jeopardy because it would be awful for them to have to get off their high horse."

Do you honestly believe doctors and nurses have left critical care units unstaffed , give your head a wobble

Northampton

Mrs TMN x

The police, well where to begin. My ex worked in the Met, he was an ex soldier. He got free travel in London, free prescriptions, housing or housing allowance, overtime where alot of it was sitting around. I appreciate these terms & conditions have changed but, the police could have stood together. He went in with 6 O levels, some had very little in the way of qualifications. Whilst in the army he was housed, fed and had a subsidised naff."

Didn’t really answer my question tbh.

barnstaple

Auto-correct naffi

barnstaple

Mrs TMN x

The police, well where to begin. My ex worked in the Met, he was an ex soldier. He got free travel in London, free prescriptions, housing or housing allowance, overtime where alot of it was sitting around. I appreciate these terms & conditions have changed but, the police could have stood together. He went in with 6 O levels, some had very little in the way of qualifications. Whilst in the army he was housed, fed and had a subsidised naff.

Didn’t really answer my question tbh."

True though.

"Let's hope all the people who support the strikes don't have a life or death medical emergency whilst the strikes are on and someone they love life is in jeopardy because it would be awful for them to have to get off their high horse."
flip side of the coin. Let's hope the people who don't support the strikes, don't have a loved one who has an illness caught too late because of long waiting lists and lack of nurses as they have all found other jobs.

It's not black and white. And those who deal with life and death don't take this decision lightly.

It's possibly why we should consider not giving them consistent real term pay cuts and stretch their working conditions... Their job has real life consequences.

Northampton

Mrs TMN x

True though. "

Would be more than happy to get into it on a separate post if you wanted to start?

Northampton

"

It's possibly why we should consider not giving them consistent real term pay cuts and stretch their working conditions... Their job has real life consequences. "

Completely agree.

Mrs TMN x

Are you looking to debate people's right to strike or just make a point about a hypothetical situation?

Both as they’re interlinked. "

Call me naive, but I start with rights and treating people decently and go from there. Hypothetical disruption only occurs if we mess up the first part.

barnstaple

[Removed by poster at 01/05/23 09:59:08]

Northampton

"

Call me naive, but I start with rights and treating people decently and go from there. Hypothetical disruption only occurs if we mess up the first part. "

Very naive. It’s not hypothetical to ask what would happen if the police took strike action is it?

I think EVERYONE would agree people should be paid and treated decently.

barnstaple

Mrs TMN x

True though.

Would be more than happy to get into it on a separate post if you wanted to start?"

Start what, I'm stating facts

Northampton

Mrs TMN x

True though.

Would be more than happy to get into it on a separate post if you wanted to start?

Start what, I'm stating facts"

A discussion/debate into what you put. More than happy to take to message too if needed.

With that I’ll leave it there as it’s not what this thread is about.

Hastings

Mrs TMN x

Ok so only some people should be allowed to strike at any one time? Basic services should always be available?

I could go with that, but would take a lot of power away from unions. It’s not an easy one to answer."

But that is what is happening but the Government are upping the stakes all the time it might end up with all Nurses and J Dr out and A&E closed then what would that not be the governments fault?

Mrs TMN x

"

They are already running a basic service though. How many police officers do you think a town with a population of 10,000 would need as standard?

My fwb works for WMP, he got posted to help out in a Shropshire town known for county lines, just him and another officer there in a town of 10,000. That's not even a basic service. That's substandard and dangerous and it's the same all around the country

Northampton

Mrs TMN x

They are already running a basic service though. How many police officers do you think a town with a population of 10,000 would need as standard?

My fwb works for WMP, he got posted to help out in a Shropshire town known for county lines, just him and another officer there in a town of 10,000. That's not even a basic service. That's substandard and dangerous and it's the same all around the country"

I don’t get your point I’m afraid. If anything it means should they be allowed to strike it would cause more disruption.

barnstaple

"

Call me naive, but I start with rights and treating people decently and go from there. Hypothetical disruption only occurs if we mess up the first part.

Very naive. It’s not hypothetical to ask what would happen if the police took strike action is it?

I think EVERYONE would agree people should be paid and treated decently."

Reading the latest reports and having first hand experience of thirty years, some sections of society could say bring it on. The police in many instances leave a lot to be desired.

Mrs TMN x

My fwb works for WMP, he got posted to help out in a Shropshire town known for county lines, just him and another officer there in a town of 10,000. That's not even a basic service. That's substandard and dangerous and it's the same all around the country

I don’t get your point I’m afraid. If anything it means should they be allowed to strike it would cause more disruption."

I'm not expecting you too am I. My response was to someone else who said Police and Army should run a basic service. My point is how basic does it get.

Hastings

"Let's hope all the people who support the strikes don't have a life or death medical emergency whilst the strikes are on and someone they love life is in jeopardy because it would be awful for them to have to get off their high horse.

Do you honestly believe doctors and nurses have left critical care units unstaffed , give your head a wobble "

Not yet but I could happen.

The point is how to fund it surely.

Northampton

[Removed by poster at 01/05/23 10:05:43]

Nurses should be able to strike

Low pay long hours

Very undervalued

Well they are

Just a Mention to one particular nurse in Colchester that helped me immensely when I had operation

She was Star in sky when my life was dark

By *ittycock400Couple  over a year ago

Bristol

Yes, they should be allowed to strike.

Unless pay and conditions in nursing improve then there will simply be no one applying for the roles. Those who see it as a vocation may still join but will be quickly burnt out.

Only a few years ago we were all clapping the NHS. Now it seems it is open season on the NHS workers and they are not worthy of some extra money.

By *agnar73Man  over a year ago

Glasgow

Yes as clapping didn’t pay their bills

"

I think EVERYONE would agree people should be paid and treated decently."

That's the first time you've acknowledged that point. Your strikes remain hypothetical, because of the law in this country. So far you've focused on that rather than addressing the root causes of strikes. I think it's fair to say we differ

Northampton

"

I think EVERYONE would agree people should be paid and treated decently.

That's the first time you've acknowledged that point. Your strikes remain hypothetical, because of the law in this country. So far you've focused on that rather than addressing the root causes of strikes. I think it's fair to say we differ "

Didn’t think it needed acknowledging tbh. No one would say people shouldn’t be treated decently.

The post wasn’t about the root causes, it was “Should nurses be able to strike?” Which opens up an interesting debate to which my points are more than valid.

You’re right, we definitely differ and that’s cool as that’s how progress/change happens.

Hastings

Mrs TMN x

I don’t get your point I’m afraid. If anything it means should they be allowed to strike it would cause more disruption.

I'm not expecting you too am I. My response was to someone else who said Police and Army should run a basic service. My point is how basic does it get.

"

Police would only attend 999 calls for the strike period.

Forces well guess no traning for the strike period. To be honest if there not on deployment I don't know what they do I guess they could strike next weekend to piss the king off.

By *alking HeadMan  over a year ago

Bolton

And they also knew they had the right to strike when they started. Are you suggesting a changing all their contracts? Good luck getting that through court.

Northampton

Mrs TMN x

Forces well guess no traning for the strike period. To be honest if there not on deployment I don't know what they do I guess they could strike next weekend to piss the king off. "

So only certain members can strike and at certain times?

I’m sure you can start to see where the logic falters a bit.

Northampton

"No they shouldn't strike,nursing is a vocation not a job,they know the pay and conditions when starting.

And they also knew they had the right to strike when they started. Are you suggesting a changing all their contracts? Good luck getting that through court."

Love a logical rebuttal!

Bolton

Well actually, that's precisely the reason that quite a lot do.

Bolton

One out, all out.

Yes they should be allowed to. What are the repercussions? A better deal for them!

Northampton

One out, all out.

Yes they should be allowed to. What are the repercussions? A better deal for them!"

You don’t think there would be repercussions if there were no police/army for x period of time? That’s just wishful thinking.

"It's clearly about pay and not as much about working environments and the other stuff they want you to believe. They were made a pay offer and turned it down.

I think anyone working in the NHS shouldn't be allowed to strike just like the police aren't."

The question is should the police be able to strike? They are in other countries.

By *rispyDuckMan  over a year ago

Chinese Takeaway near you

They should be and they should strike!

Unless you have worked in a similar role, I think you’re opinion belongs in the bin in regards to which group of people can strike

They not striking for fun, they striking for a reason. Yes it might be an inconvenience to some people but if we were in their shoes we would be striking too. Word of the day: Empathy

By *inkerbell67Woman  over a year ago

Clacton on sea essex

Have a look at the money the head of unions are on ,£100,000 they are comfy ,..

Yes they should.

A very overlooked profession, until you need them

Hours and conditions are no doubt not appealing

So yes they should be allowed to strike strategically, done right for maximum effect in

Bolton

"Have a look at the money the head of unions are on ,£100,000 they are comfy ,.."

What's your point? I know full well how much the head of my union is on, but I still pay my subs. We have a large amount of staff (10%) going on 90 days notice next week. The union gets those people a very good deal on their redundancy package, as they have over the years on wages, H&S, training etc.

We know what we pay them, and we know we get our moneys worth.

By *UGGYBEAR2015Man  over a year ago

BRIDPORT

Mrs TMN x

Forces well guess no traning for the strike period. To be honest if there not on deployment I don't know what they do I guess they could strike next weekend to piss the king off. "

Haaaa haa, that would be an improvement on service around here.

"Have a look at the money the head of unions are on ,£100,000 they are comfy ,.."

Out of interest, what should they be paid?

Northampton

"

So no peacekeeping in Africa, no wildlife protection, no supporting Ukraine, no Cyprus border patrols etc?

It’s just not as easy as people think when suggesting everyone should be able to strike is the point I’m trying to establish.

By *ittlemissmistressKCouple  over a year ago

Southampton

"Of course they should. I heard that they started the strike yesterday and it ends tonight at 12.

NHS organisations across the country will face significant disruption as the rcn holds industrial action

Do you know why they are on strike, is it because of pay or the working hours?"

Both!! Pay is pretty crap for what they are expected do... I wholeheartedly support the nurses and the junior doctors strikes

Northampton

"Of course they should. I heard that they started the strike yesterday and it ends tonight at 12.

Do you know why they are on strike, is it because of pay or the working hours?

Both!! Pay is pretty crap for what they are expected do... I wholeheartedly support the nurses and the junior doctors strikes"

It’s absolutely horrific for what they do! I can’t justify how I get paid what I do while they get paid so little.

By *ongshanks65Man  over a year ago

Weymouth

Yes but would rather work to rule

By *wingamajigsCouple  over a year ago

Folkestone

100% behind them and rail workers.

Clapping on doorstpes does not help with paying your bills. It makes me so angry the way MPs get paid very well and then are able to claim for so many perks the likes of you and I have to find the money for.

By *naswingdressWoman  over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

Quite clearly doctors and nurses shouldn't be allowed to strike. They should recognise that the only way to make money is in the private sector, and leave. Police and military too. They should be grateful, and if they can't, they should get into marketing.

Anyone who has an accident, gives birth, is a victim of crime, wants to fight wars, gets old, has a medical condition etc - they should exercise personal responsibility like all the person who realise that vocations are for suckers who like being homeless.

"It's clearly about pay and not as much about working environments and the other stuff they want you to believe. They were made a pay offer and turned it down.

I think anyone working in the NHS shouldn't be allowed to strike just like the police aren't."

Yes. I also think that it is more about pay as well

Teachers get £42k in Scotland. Nurses get £32k.

Both hugely important jobs, but why the disparity in pay? It’s not fair.

Northampton

"Quite clearly doctors and nurses shouldn't be allowed to strike. They should recognise that the only way to make money is in the private sector, and leave. Police and military too. They should be grateful, and if they can't, they should get into marketing.

Anyone who has an accident, gives birth, is a victim of crime, wants to fight wars, gets old, has a medical condition etc - they should exercise personal responsibility like all the person who realise that vocations are for suckers who like being homeless."

Can’t say I agree with the way you put it, but do with a lot of what you said.

Northampton

"Teachers get £42k in Scotland. Nurses get £32k.

Both hugely important jobs, but why the disparity in pay? It’s not fair. "

Supply & demand at a guess.

By *eard and BoobsCouple  over a year ago

Portstewart

It's there right to do as they please my question is that if someone dies as a result of someone in particular striking instead of being on shift should they be arrested

I agree they need to strike for fair pay but the risk to crucial services isn't on.

The government and unions need to sort out a fair deal.

Hastings

"Quite clearly doctors and nurses shouldn't be allowed to strike. They should recognise that the only way to make money is in the private sector, and leave. Police and military too. They should be grateful, and if they can't, they should get into marketing.

Anyone who has an accident, gives birth, is a victim of crime, wants to fight wars, gets old, has a medical condition etc - they should exercise personal responsibility like all the person who realise that vocations are for suckers who like being homeless."

So if I was d*unk driving and drive in to you and your hurt its up to you to exercise personal responsibility for you.

Manchester (she/her)

Anyone who has an accident, gives birth, is a victim of crime, wants to fight wars, gets old, has a medical condition etc - they should exercise personal responsibility like all the person who realise that vocations are for suckers who like being homeless.

Can’t say I agree with the way you put it, but do with a lot of what you said. "

"Sport RR bois" is way better than pay. Pay the police and troops a penny across a lifetime. They should be grateful!

Midwives? We can't encourage reliance on public services. Giving birth is the ultimate exercise in scrounging, expecting medical care. Pfft.

Northampton

"Sport RR bois" is way better than pay. Pay the police and troops a penny across a lifetime. They should be grateful!

Midwives? We can't encourage reliance on public services. Giving birth is the ultimate exercise in scrounging, expecting medical care. Pfft."

I take back what I said about agreeing with you.

Hastings

"It's there right to do as they please my question is that if someone dies as a result of someone in particular striking instead of being on shift should they be arrested "

So if there are short staffed how should be held accountable the few doing there best.

Or the trust be accountable for letting in more then they can cope with. If A&E is full should they close till beds are free.

Manchester (she/her)

So if I was d*unk driving and drive in to you and your hurt its up to you to exercise personal responsibility for you. "

Yup! Vocations are about warm and fuzzies only. Rational people sell foundation.

Maybe you shouldn't be in that car. What were you wearing to deserve it?

Northampton

"

Yup! Vocations are about warm and fuzzies only. Rational people sell foundation.

Maybe you shouldn't be in that car. What were you wearing to deserve it?"

So what happens when you or your family get sick, have a crime committed against you, get stuck in a fire etc?

Manchester (she/her)

Midwives? We can't encourage reliance on public services. Giving birth is the ultimate exercise in scrounging, expecting medical care. Pfft.

I take back what I said about agreeing with you. "

Don't get me started on teachers. Why the fuck aren't four year olds filling the labour crisis? And for well over a decade? Children are useless eaters and should be eliminated from humanity. If you want to become literate, get a job that isn't so physically exhausting. These toddlers don't know they're born!

Do you know why they are on strike, is it because of pay or the working hours?"

The government will have you believe it is all about pay and conditions.

But it is also about patient care, I noticed that at the start of their strikes patient care was a reason to strike and also the future of the NHS as it is at breaking point.

Private investment companies will not invest in an NHS where they cannot make a profit, i.e not paying the staff fair wages, and giving to shareholders their huge dividends. This is about and always has been setting up the NHS as a investment tool mainly for the hedgefunds to invest in, Staff are cheap labour, who work long hours and are subsidised by benefits and foodbanks.

To pay them over inflation wages would put off private investment, but I say that's a good things as it would only end up as lives over profit again.

Manchester (she/her)

"

Maybe you shouldn't be in that car. What were you wearing to deserve it?

So what happens when you or your family get sick, have a crime committed against you, get stuck in a fire etc?"

I recognise that vocations can't pay because they're about love. As love doesn't pay the bills, and everyone has left, I pray to the god I don't believe in that it's not too horrific, because I'm on my own

Northampton

Don't get me started on teachers. Why the fuck aren't four year olds filling the labour crisis? And for well over a decade? Children are useless eaters and should be eliminated from humanity. If you want to become literate, get a job that isn't so physically exhausting. These toddlers don't know they're born!"

Ah I totally missed the sarcasm…still hungover so I blame that.

Yes. I support the right of nurses to strike.

By *issmorganWoman  over a year ago

Calderdale innit

Yes,as a healthcare worker I have seen the conditions on the wards and fully support them.

Its not just about pay ,but lack of staffing too,which means they miss breaks or have to stay late to finish tasks/documentation and it affects patients safety too.

Manchester (she/her)

Don't get me started on teachers. Why the fuck aren't four year olds filling the labour crisis? And for well over a decade? Children are useless eaters and should be eliminated from humanity. If you want to become literate, get a job that isn't so physically exhausting. These toddlers don't know they're born!

Ah I totally missed the sarcasm…still hungover so I blame that. "

As a childless woman in a country that's struggling to function, I see the light and your wisdom. I saw one commentator point out that since he'd started, junior doctors had lost 45% of their wages, plus accommodation, in real terms. Make it 450%! These fuckers should pay us for being so stupid as to want to help people.

Northampton

As a childless woman in a country that's struggling to function, I see the light and your wisdom. I saw one commentator point out that since he'd started, junior doctors had lost 45% of their wages, plus accommodation, in real terms. Make it 450%! These fuckers should pay us for being so stupid as to want to help people. "

The sarcasm has made it hard for me to decipher your point I’m afraid.

By *offiaCoolWoman  over a year ago

Kidsgrove

"Yes,as a healthcare worker I have seen the conditions on the wards and fully support them.

Its not just about pay ,but lack of staffing too,which means they miss breaks or have to stay late to finish tasks/documentation and it affects patients safety too."

Day in, day out.....it's relentless.

By *trueceltMan  over a year ago

Carms

Thank you for being the heroes of the pandemic but you're not allowed to strike for better pay and / or conditions?

It is every worker's right to down tools in protest and workers who condemn fellow workers - be they nurses, fire brigade or teachers or anyone else - for striking, play straight into the hands of the establishment and the privileged elite of the UK - because they are the REAL reason why there is so much inequality. The more people who wake up to that fact, the better we'll be as a nation.

By *orksRockerMan  over a year ago

Bradford

As a childless woman in a country that's struggling to function, I see the light and your wisdom. I saw one commentator point out that since he'd started, junior doctors had lost 45% of their wages, plus accommodation, in real terms. Make it 450%! These fuckers should pay us for being so stupid as to want to help people.

The sarcasm has made it hard for me to decipher your point I’m afraid. "

It's all been that. And scarily, it's not for others on this thread.

Northampton

"Thank you for being the heroes of the pandemic but you're not allowed to strike for better pay and / or conditions?

It is every worker's right to down tools in protest and workers who condemn fellow workers - be they nurses, fire brigade or teachers or anyone else - for striking, play straight into the hands of the establishment and the privileged elite of the UK - because they are the REAL reason why there is so much inequality. The more people who wake up to that fact, the better we'll be as a nation. "

In an ideal word perhaps, but alas there are significant repercussions if certain professions went on strike.

Manchester (she/her)

The sarcasm has made it hard for me to decipher your point I’m afraid. "

I'm taking your point and others and extending it to its logical conclusion.

If people want decent conditions, they should move to the private sector. People working in helping professions should take the thanks and forgo any money or benefits. If they can't, they're not fit for a profession. They should do important things, like sell shit you don't need.

If you're a victim of crime, your house catches on fire, you get sick, you get old, you're a child, you give birth, you're in the surrounds of a terrorist attack - well, personal responsibility, innit. How dare you expect help from others? Worthless scroungers.

Manchester (she/her)

"Thank you for being the heroes of the pandemic but you're not allowed to strike for better pay and / or conditions?

It is every worker's right to down tools in protest and workers who condemn fellow workers - be they nurses, fire brigade or teachers or anyone else - for striking, play straight into the hands of the establishment and the privileged elite of the UK - because they are the REAL reason why there is so much inequality. The more people who wake up to that fact, the better we'll be as a nation.

In an ideal word perhaps, but alas there are significant repercussions if certain professions went on strike."

Maybe those who don't want to give essential professionals fair pay should use their personal responsibility and consider that before screaming about decent pay and conditions being unfair

Northampton

"

If people want decent conditions, they should move to the private sector. People working in helping professions should take the thanks and forgo any money or benefits. If they can't, they're not fit for a profession. They should do important things, like sell shit you don't need.

If you're a victim of crime, your house catches on fire, you get sick, you get old, you're a child, you give birth, you're in the surrounds of a terrorist attack - well, personal responsibility, innit. How dare you expect help from others? Worthless scroungers."

I just tend to base my thoughts on things like this on reality instead of wishful thinking.

Like I said there are real word repercussions if certain professions went on strike. That’s just a fact.

Northampton

In an ideal word perhaps, but alas there are significant repercussions if certain professions went on strike.

Maybe those who don't want to give essential professionals fair pay should use their personal responsibility and consider that before screaming about decent pay and conditions being unfair "

Seeing as that’s a response to me please do point out where I’ve said people don’t deserve fair pay…

I’ll hazard a guess you won’t, but will instead Chuck in another ad hominem response.

By *riel13Woman  over a year ago

Northampton

One out, all out. "

Definitely this!!

Manchester (she/her)

"

If you're a victim of crime, your house catches on fire, you get sick, you get old, you're a child, you give birth, you're in the surrounds of a terrorist attack - well, personal responsibility, innit. How dare you expect help from others? Worthless scroungers.

I just tend to base my thoughts on things like this on reality instead of wishful thinking.

Like I said there are real word repercussions if certain professions went on strike. That’s just a fact."

And there aren't real world repercussions of other countries poaching our medical staff and leading to further shortages (in a time when many countries face shortages and UK pay is a lot lower than places like Australia)?

There aren't repercussions to nurses leaving an understaffed profession to work in Aldi?

Nah. These people work on claps alone. They're machines, not people. It'll be fiiiiine

Northampton

"

Like I said there are real word repercussions if certain professions went on strike. That’s just a fact.

And there aren't real world repercussions of other countries poaching our medical staff and leading to further shortages (in a time when many countries face shortages and UK pay is a lot lower than places like Australia)?

There aren't repercussions to nurses leaving an understaffed profession to work in Aldi?

Nah. These people work on claps alone. They're machines, not people. It'll be fiiiiine "

So you agree there are genuine repercussions, thanks.

By *etric5555Man  over a year ago

BISHOP AUCKLAND

People need to realise nurses can always leave like any other job iv worked in the NHS for over 25 yrs and I'm nowhere near the money there on please realise they not on that bad a pay,as are the Doctors

coleraine

"Let's hope all the people who support the strikes don't have a life or death medical emergency whilst the strikes are on and someone they love life is in jeopardy because it would be awful for them to have to get off their high horse.

Do you honestly believe doctors and nurses have left critical care units unstaffed , give your head a wobble "

Spot on.

Some people also seem eager to ignore the volume of deaths and lack of treatment the Government has caused by running the NHS down for years. Nurses are leaving in record numbers but hey let’s get mad at them for trying to improve things.

Manchester (she/her)

Maybe those who don't want to give essential professionals fair pay should use their personal responsibility and consider that before screaming about decent pay and conditions being unfair

Seeing as that’s a response to me please do point out where I’ve said people don’t deserve fair pay…

I’ll hazard a guess you won’t, but will instead Chuck in another ad hominem response. "

I'm responding to the argument in general, not you specifically.

"Fair" pay is also a slippery slope. It can mean anything you want it to mean. Who's to say that a penny isn't "fair" pay for a lifetime in the military, to some people?

I'd also love you to point out a single ad hom attack I've made. And hominem attacks are attacks on a person. I've attacked a broader argument with sarcasm, extending it to its logical conclusion.

If vocations shouldn't strike when all other options fail, then they're entirely at the whims of those who pay them. They can take worsening conditions or leave. They're leaving. But we still need to accept that vocations are about love not money. Therefore any need for those services - again, childbirth, being a child, being a victim of crime or fire, etc - is just a lack of personal responsibility. Get on with fixing it yourself

Northampton

I’ll hazard a guess you won’t, but will instead Chuck in another ad hominem response.

"Fair" pay is also a slippery slope. It can mean anything you want it to mean. Who's to say that a penny isn't "fair" pay for a lifetime in the military, to some people?

I'd also love you to point out a single ad hom attack I've made. And hominem attacks are attacks on a person. I've attacked a broader argument with sarcasm, extending it to its logical conclusion.

If vocations shouldn't strike when all other options fail, then they're entirely at the whims of those who pay them. They can take worsening conditions or leave. They're leaving. But we still need to accept that vocations are about love not money. Therefore any need for those services - again, childbirth, being a child, being a victim of crime or fire, etc - is just a lack of personal responsibility. Get on with fixing it yourself "

When you stop with strawmanning and start debating in good faith I’ll happily engage. Until then have an awesome day matey.

Manchester (she/her)

"

Nah. These people work on claps alone. They're machines, not people. It'll be fiiiiine

So you agree there are genuine repercussions, thanks. "

I'm saying there are repercussions for not paying essential services better.

(Hint: an ad hominem attack would be, at this point in the exchange, me drawing an inference about the value placed on teachers during your education )

Manchester (she/her)

If vocations shouldn't strike when all other options fail, then they're entirely at the whims of those who pay them. They can take worsening conditions or leave. They're leaving. But we still need to accept that vocations are about love not money. Therefore any need for those services - again, childbirth, being a child, being a victim of crime or fire, etc - is just a lack of personal responsibility. Get on with fixing it yourself

When you stop with strawmanning and start debating in good faith I’ll happily engage. Until then have an awesome day matey. "

So there aren't currently nurses leaving to work in Aldi, as reported in the media, and attempts by the Australian government to poach medical staff we're already short of, leading to similar problems?

"Strawmanning" doesn't mean "using sarcastic language and facts to make a point"

National strike should still be legal

Northampton

"

Nah. These people work on claps alone. They're machines, not people. It'll be fiiiiine "

Was a response to me so most definitely a strawman argument.

Last one before I just leave you to it as you never debate in good faith and just wanted to clarify. Toodles

One out, all out. "

Exactly look at the French striking because of the retirement age

Manchester (she/her)

"

Last one before I just leave you to it as you never debate in good faith and just wanted to clarify. Toodles

"

You do know that this isn't your inbox and I can bounce off anyone's argument to make a point, yes?

Hey ho.

Enjoy your personal responsibility

Northampton

"

You do know that this isn't your inbox and I can bounce off anyone's argument to make a point, yes?

Hey ho.

Enjoy your personal responsibility "

You do know the typical use of the reply&quote butto is to actually respond to the people you quote, yes?

Manchester (she/her)

"

Hey ho.

You do know the typical use of the reply&quote butto is to actually respond to the people you quote, yes?

"

I thought you were going?

Actions have consequences - including paying people so little that they leave.

Northampton

"

Hey ho.

I thought you were going?

Actions have consequences - including paying people so little that they leave."

I was, but it’s funny going back & forth with you and I’m bored.

By *ittlemissmistressKCouple  over a year ago

Southampton

No but we don't go into healthcare to be treated like shit either

"

So you agree there are genuine repercussions, thanks. "

Thats why they are striking, to cause repercussions, thus highlighting their arguments, and plight for fair pay, conditions and patient safety.

Power to the proletariat.

By *illowendMan  over a year ago

Halesworth

But you’re happy for there pay to have been reduced by 27% over ten years

Classy

"I don’t think they should be allowed to strike."

Manchester (she/her)

"

Classy

I don’t think they should be allowed to strike."

I read one person say 45% plus accommodation since 1991.

Are junior doctors (in this case) worth that much less now in real terms? Why?

Why don't they all leave? They probably should.

Northampton

"

Classy

Another strawman, I never said that so don’t put words in my mouth please.

By *illowendMan  over a year ago

Halesworth

But not the government who have run the NHS into the ground

Record waiting lists and record nurse doctor vacancies

Hardly rocket science

By *astandFeistyCouple  over a year ago

Bournemouth

"

Classy

Nurse pay fell in real terms by 9% over 10 years, not 27%.

Not 'real terms', their pay was not 'reduced' at all

Manchester (she/her)

Mrs TMN x

LvM"

Apparently this is a strawman argument. Lulz

Manchester (she/her)

"But not the government who have run the NHS into the ground

Record waiting lists and record nurse doctor vacancies

Hardly rocket science

Jr Dr’s, Dr’s and Nurses all have blood on their hands. You don’t go into the healthcare profession to make oodles of money"

It's never the powerful that can be held responsible for actions. That's silly

Northampton

Mrs TMN x

LvM

Apparently this is a strawman argument. Lulz"

I’ve quoted where you strawmanned, but as always you won’t debate in good faith. Lolzzz

Northampton

For the record as quite a few have put words in my mouth.

I’m ex army, my whole family are (ex) forces (little brother killed in Afghan), my sister is a teacher, have numerous family & close friends in the police & fire service and have two aunties that are nurses.

I haven’t ONCE said nurses don’t deserve better pay and working conditions, of course the fucking do! I just don’t think they should be allowed to strike. Same for some of the other professions I’ve mentioned.

I wonder how many who are anti payrises also pay for private insurance themselves. (Not via a company perk).

(Even then, we'd all call an ambulance or go to casualty in an accident or emergency. )

By *lixir of lifeMan  over a year ago

knob Creek

Nope

By *ansoffateMan  over a year ago

Sagittarius A

One out, all out.

Their working conditions and pay would be maintained leading to a more content and productive workforce. That is unlikely to seek industrial action in the future.

Northampton

One out, all out.

Their working conditions and pay would be maintained leading to a more content and productive workforce. That is unlikely to seek industrial action in the future."

You don’t think there would be any negative repercussions if the police and forced downed tools to strike?

By *ansoffateMan  over a year ago

Sagittarius A

One out, all out.

Their working conditions and pay would be maintained leading to a more content and productive workforce. That is unlikely to seek industrial action in the future.

You don’t think there would be any negative repercussions if the police and forced downed tools to strike?"

I'm the short term yes. However, the long term benefits would outweigh that. That's why they have voted for industrial action.

If their pay and conditions had been maintained, there wouldn't be a cause for industrial action.

Also, the standard of the service now. The repercussions of that for the community: is also a consideration when taking industrial action.

Workers don't strike to cause problems. They strike because the problems haven't been dealt with to the degree that they cannot in good conscience continue to remain silent and toe the line.

By *otSoPoshWoman  over a year ago

In a ball gown because that's how we roll in N. Devon

I haven't read any of the answers so far.

But yes. Everyone should be allowed to strike.

As long as they don't inconvenience me at any time, obviously.

(That last bit is dripping in sarcasm)

Northampton

One out, all out.

You don’t think there would be any negative repercussions if the police and forced downed tools to strike?

I'm the short term yes. However, the long term benefits would outweigh that. That's why they have voted for industrial action.

If their pay and conditions had been maintained, there wouldn't be a cause for industrial action.

Also, the standard of the service now. The repercussions of that for the community: is also a consideration when taking industrial action.

Workers don't strike to cause problems. They strike because the problems haven't been dealt with to the degree that they cannot in good conscience continue to remain silent and toe the line."

I pretty much agree with most of what you’ve said, but I just can’t agree with certain professions striking as even short term there are lives at risk. Yes I know they are at risk already and yes I know long term more lives will saved with better pay & conditions, I just don’t think striking is the best way to achieve it.

I also don’t know what the best way is.

They do however have the right to a fair wage given the job they do.

Northampton

"Jr Dr’s, Dr’s and Nurses all have blood on their hands. You don’t go into the healthcare profession to make oodles of money

"

And let’s be honest their wage is anything but fair.

[Removed by poster at 01/05/23 12:34:14]

"Jr Dr’s, Dr’s and Nurses all have blood on their hands. You don’t go into the healthcare profession to make oodles of money

And let’s be honest their wage is anything but fair."

Agreed. Totally x

Interesting points everyone. I have done a new thread that we can continue on