FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > The cancel culture hinders debate.

The cancel culture hinders debate.

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *hagTonight OP   Man  over a year ago

From the land of haribos.

I watched an interesting program about it and this is also what jordan peterson have talked about.

Basically, the short version of what it means is "you cant partake in a discussion if you dont have the right view".

Another view of it is what we saw happened to gary linekar, where he got cancelled right away.

There are different examples of this and they concluded the program that in order to have a healthy debate, you should beable to question and have a debate with different views, otherwise it becomes rather one sided.

What is your view about it and do you also agree that in order to have a healthy debate you should beable to argue against, not just agreeing?

Reply privately (closed, thread got too big)

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Totally! It's become quite dreadfully boring ... love a really passionate healthy debate and I'd say most of my friends have differing views to me about most serious things. I'd be bored rigid if everyone thought or had the same beliefs as me ...

By *atricia ParnelWoman  over a year ago

In a town full of colours

It's only debating when people speak AND listen. To many times people can't handle differing opinions and let emotions overpower their words. I like the " we can agree to disagree"

Rather than constantly shaming views different to you own. A referees job is never easy

I'm currently listening to a podcast called the witch trials of JK Rowling. Talks about how cancel culture started and how Internet has created it.

So I totally agree, I may find the views of some people abhorrent but the best way to deal with it is to debate and show an alternative view and expose people. Cancel culture is an autocratic approach used in history by those who use fear to make sure people align to views and bahaviours they deem acceptable.

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman  over a year ago

King's Crustacean

It really isn't about not allowing others a view that differs to yours. It's about not allowing others to be racist, ageist, sexist , disablist , homophobic etc.....

It's still possible to discuss matters about the above without 'othering'

For the sake of keeping informed rather than misinformed Gary Lineker wasn't cancelled - his situation had less to do with what he said and more to do with the platform he said it on from the position he is in.

Cancel culture shows that the person/group aiming to do the cancelling has no valid argument. If they can't engage in a discussion/debate/argument without having another person/group excluded then they've lost the argument.

Also, recent examples of cancel culture being used in another way - using rumour/accusations as a base - have shown cancel culture isn't right. Johnny Depp is the highest profile one, cancelled, lost acting jobs, lost income, and in the end found to be innocent. The same is happening to Jonathan Majors, who based on a non-substantiated accusation has already lost his management company and could lose the multi film deal with Marvel.

There is no innocent until proven guilty anymore thanks to the court of social media.

King's Crustacean

Johnny Depp wasn't found 'innocent'.

Winning a case doesn't prove innocence.

There is also no evidence to say he lost work due to being believed to be a wife beater.

He lost work due to being involved in a very ugly public case which showed his very ugly lifestyle and made him too ugly to handle at the time.

He was just too uncool and that is his own doing.

"Johnny Depp wasn't found 'innocent'.

There is also no evidence to say he lost work due to being believed to be a wife beater.

He lost work due to being involved in a very ugly public case which showed his very ugly lifestyle and made him too ugly to handle at the time.

He was just too uncool and that is his own doing. "

In all fairness his former wife was just as bad as he was .

It does appear to be that one cannot disagree with with certain things these days.

It's not healthy really..

By *andyfloss2000Woman  over a year ago

ashford

"It really isn't about not allowing others a view that differs to yours. It's about not allowing others to be racist, ageist, sexist , disablist , homophobic etc.....

For the sake of keeping informed rather than misinformed Gary Lineker wasn't cancelled - his situation had less to do with what he said and more to do with the platform he said it on from the position he is in. "

This 100% x

King's Crustacean

"Johnny Depp wasn't found 'innocent'.

He was just too uncool and that is his own doing.

In all fairness his former wife was just as bad as he was ."

She was worse according to me. I still like him. Just wish I hadn't been privy to what they get up to within their marriage.

Yes it is tiring.

I noticed it when the Brexit vote was happening, people ended friendships etc. It's dangerous that the mentality is if you don't think exactly as I think your evil.

By *rHotNottsMan  over a year ago

Dubai & Nottingham

"It really isn't about not allowing others a view that differs to yours. It's about not allowing others to be racist, ageist, sexist , disablist , homophobic etc.....

For the sake of keeping informed rather than misinformed Gary Lineker wasn't cancelled - his situation had less to do with what he said and more to do with the platform he said it on from the position he is in. "

Not really , that’s he excuse used to cancel. They decided JK Rowling was transphobic because she said women have periods. It’s basically facism, controlling what can be thought about , talked about and debated and what cannot, any idea or opinion that threatens them is cancelled in a systematic and organised way to manipulate and redefine culture

Do you have your own opinions? I don’t mean that in a rude way at all. It’s just that I notice your posts are regularly saying “I saw a program that said this”… “I read an article that said this” and then you repeat their views.

Seems like you’re easily influenced.

Anyway - “cancel culture” is dying, luckily. Everyone is human, everyone makes mistakes. Also it’s becoming apparent that those doing the “cancelling” are weirdos who have no lives themselves

King's Crustacean

For the sake of keeping informed rather than misinformed Gary Lineker wasn't cancelled - his situation had less to do with what he said and more to do with the platform he said it on from the position he is in.

Not really , that’s he excuse used to cancel. They decided JK Rowling was transphobic because she said women have periods. It’s basically facism, controlling what can be thought about , talked about and debated and what cannot, any idea or opinion that threatens them is cancelled in a systematic and organised way to manipulate and redefine culture "

I never gave an opinion on J.K. Rowling

Who are they ?

No subject is cancelled. We can talk about anything.

Certain bodies , rightly or wrongly, refuse to have dealings with those who they believe have spoken against them - they cancel them. The whole of society doesn't cancel them.

Who are the 'they' that have spoken against platforming J.K. Rowling ?

Dubai & Nottingham

". Cancel culture is an autocratic approach used in history by those who use fear to make sure people align to views and bahaviours they deem acceptable.

"

Exactly, history is full of examples , but if your in a democracy and can’t get elected, the intelligentsia do it this way, through public administrations, universities etc

King's Crustacean

I only read the snippets of what she said at the time and didn't find any of it transphobic. Just scientific facts.

By *ou only live onceMan  over a year ago

London

"

Nailed it. I think it's quite possible to have debate and differing views - I personally don't see a shortage of debate - but lots of people call "cancel" just because they can't say things they frankly should never have been able to say, but used to get away with. It's the new "PC gone mad", which was also dull.

That said, I will also agree that some people do *appear* too easily offended. Both things can be true, but ultimately it's not my place to rule what is offensive to others, and vice versa.

Dubai & Nottingham

Not really , that’s he excuse used to cancel. They decided JK Rowling was transphobic because she said women have periods. It’s basically facism, controlling what can be thought about , talked about and debated and what cannot, any idea or opinion that threatens them is cancelled in a systematic and organised way to manipulate and redefine culture

Who are they ?

Certain bodies , rightly or wrongly, refuse to have dealings with those who they believe have spoken against them - they cancel them. The whole of society doesn't cancel them.

Who are the 'they' that have spoken against platforming J.K. Rowling ? "

They are the ones in positions of power in big public admin organisations, quangos, bbc , Rusel group universities.

The academic Trots after it became unfashionable to follow USSR , needed a new focus. Also organisations like momentum that are skilled in social media manipulation and fake news that infiltrated the Labour Party

"

The issue with some elements of cancel culture on social media is who gets to decide what is right and wrong?

And of course algorithms love negativity and push that stuff on people.

King's Crustacean

The issue with some elements of cancel culture on social media is who gets to decide what is right and wrong?

And of course algorithms love negativity and push that stuff on people."

It scares me to a degree. People drop tit bits and the crowd suck them up and spray it around without the brains to decide if it's true / reasonable or not .... definitely 'Death by Daft Twats'

King's Crustacean

Who are they ?

They are the ones in positions of power in big public admin organisations, quangos, bbc , Rusel group universities.

The academic Trots after it became unfashionable to follow USSR , needed a new focus. Also organisations like momentum that are skilled in social media manipulation and fake news that infiltrated the Labour Party "

Thank you.

Are you able to be more specific ?

"

"

Replaced in the Fantastic Beasts franchise.

Replaced in the Pirates of the Caribbean franchise.

Replaced in several ad campaigns for men's cologne and clothes.

As long as no one is purposely rude or antagonistic I love a good healthy debate! But starting a response with 'you are wrong/attention seeking/being stupid/a fool' is definitely not the way to go about replying to anyone in any situation I don't think.

King's Crustacean

[Removed by poster at 26/04/23 08:10:28]

King's Crustacean

"

Replaced in the Fantastic Beasts franchise.

Replaced in the Pirates of the Caribbean franchise.

Replaced in several ad campaigns for men's cologne and clothes.

"

No one denied he lost work. We don't know the reason he lost work.

By *penbicoupleCouple  over a year ago

Northampton

I don't believe it genuinely exists. Some people just don't like being held accountable.

By *ssex_tomMan  over a year ago

Chelmsford

"As long as no one is purposely rude or antagonistic I love a good healthy debate! But starting a response with 'you are wrong/attention seeking/being stupid/a fool' is definitely not the way to go about replying to anyone in any situation I don't think.

"

The trouble is that many snowflakes take any alternative view to their narrow-minded trope as antagonistic...

It's not antagonistic. It's just a different view

Dubai & Nottingham

Who are they ?

The academic Trots after it became unfashionable to follow USSR , needed a new focus. Also organisations like momentum that are skilled in social media manipulation and fake news that infiltrated the Labour Party

Thank you.

"

Ofqual produced a leaflet for 14-19 year olds on welding and motor vehicle college courses. On the front page was a young black woman welding, in nice jewellery and without safety goggles.

There was a lot of complaints at time particularly from colleges in the north west saying this does not speak to their candidates, people were laughing about it, the intake are in most colleges, 100% young white males without the GCSEs to study academic, Ofqual insisted the colleges were institutionally racist and sexist and that’s why young intelligent black females were not applying

By *nightsoftheCoffeeTableCouple  over a year ago

Leeds

A debate is not a debate if there are no opposing views.

If everyone is in agreement, then it’s a decision, a conversation nothing more.

The mr

"Totally! It's become quite dreadfully boring ... love a really passionate healthy debate and I'd say most of my friends have differing views to me about most serious things. I'd be bored rigid if everyone thought or had the same beliefs as me ... "
Yes, it does become boring doesnt it and yes, it is good to hear a healthy debate for and against

By *bi HaiveMan  over a year ago
Forum Mod

Cheeseville, Somerset

Nailed it. I think it's quite possible to have debate and differing views - I personally don't see a shortage of debate - but lots of people call "cancel" just because they can't say things they frankly should never have been able to say, but used to get away with. It's the new "PC gone mad", which was also dull.

That said, I will also agree that some people do *appear* too easily offended. Both things can be true, but ultimately it's not my place to rule what is offensive to others, and vice versa."

I feel those that shout 'cancel culture 'the loudest are often those with the weakest argument or those relying on antiquated theories and viewpoints.

The 2A supporters in the USA that scream every time any gun control legislation is mentioned.

The Tate supporters who had breakdowns when he was arrested.

'Angry from Bristol' when the Xolston statue was toppled.

People who think that any change is wrong, equality shouldn't exist and that any attempt to remove something offensive from public view, be it words in a book, pictures on a screen or government legislation, is an attempt to erase the past rather than just not celebrate it any more.

I didn't see anyone decry the removal of a statue of Saville despite him raising millions for charity.

I didn't see anyone scream when the Oompah Loompahs were changed from thr original 1964 pygmy s1aves from Africa, yet the recent changes were unacceptable.

People like to get angry just because times have changed and things are no longer seen as acceptable by modern, empathetic society. So the cry 'cancel' without even thinking of the reasons why change is proposed.

Because it requires no thought, no constructive argument and no discussion.

A

By *wingin CatMan  over a year ago

London

There are certain groups of people who should be excluded from adult debate. For example, conspiracy theorists who use false information as "proof", and far-right bigots who can't provide credible proof for their hatred. You're never going to engage in a sensible debate with them.

Forum Mod

Cheeseville, Somerset

"There are certain groups of people who should be excluded from adult debate. For example, conspiracy theorists who use false information as "proof", and far-right bigots who can't provide credible proof for their hatred. You're never going to engage in a sensible debate with them."

I disagree.

We see plenty of both on here sadly.

But excluding them just makes them think 'the illuminati' are trying to censor them. They need including in debates and to be able to say what they want in order for rational thought, evidence, science, peer reviewed data and facts to be used to counter any statement.

Only when these people are given a voice can any kind of education be attempted.

A

London

"Yes it is tiring.

I noticed it when the Brexit vote was happening, people ended friendships etc. It's dangerous that the mentality is if you don't think exactly as I think your evil. "

In many cases that ending of friendships was justified, due to Brexit being sold as many different lies, and how gullible people were to believe them. It showed the true colours (not to mention lack of intelligence) of some people, mainly believing that it would stop immigration from outside Europe, and that we could continue to trade with Europe.

So - what are the benefits of Brexit now?

By *astandFeistyCouple  over a year ago

Bournemouth

"Yes it is tiring.

I noticed it when the Brexit vote was happening, people ended friendships etc. It's dangerous that the mentality is if you don't think exactly as I think your evil.

In many cases that ending of friendships was justified, due to Brexit being sold as many different lies, and how gullible people were to believe them. It showed the true colours (not to mention lack of intelligence) of some people, mainly believing that it would stop immigration from outside Europe, and that we could continue to trade with Europe.

So - what are the benefits of Brexit now?"

Justified? I assume you were one who ended friendships over a difference of opinion?

In my mind of someone was willing to end a friendship over politics, I'm better off without them anyway.

Yes it not only hinders healthy debate but also divides us further. If there’s no middle ground to openly discuss and find a solution. It only helps push us further apart and let’s the far left or far right view become the dominating voice.

London

"There are certain groups of people who should be excluded from adult debate. For example, conspiracy theorists who use false information as "proof", and far-right bigots who can't provide credible proof for their hatred. You're never going to engage in a sensible debate with them.

I disagree.

But excluding them just makes them think 'the illuminati' are trying to censor them. They need including in debates and to be able to say what they want in order for rational thought, evidence, science, peer reviewed data and facts to be used to counter any statement.

Only when these people are given a voice can any kind of education be attempted.

A"

Good point. However, when you give such people a voice, it usually turns into them becoming abusive when they realise they've lost the debate. One good example is on a Facebook forum I was in some years ago, they invited the PR manager of UKIP in for discussion with the other (left-wing) members, and we were happy for him to be there for an open discussion. No one was abusive to him - in fact, we were all very constructive and diplomatic in trying to address issues with him, and spoke to him in a civilised, sensible manner. It didn't take long for him to start the usual name-calling and abuse of others, when he realised he was losing. Once the abuse started, he was blocked from the group - and quite rightly so.

Not good form, especially when you're views are expected to represent your members.

By *asyloversCouple  over a year ago

leicester

"I watched an interesting program about it and this is also what jordan peterson have talked about.

Basically, the short version of what it means is "you cant partake in a discussion if you dont have the right view".

Another view of it is what we saw happened to gary linekar, where he got cancelled right away.

There are different examples of this and they concluded the program that in order to have a healthy debate, you should beable to question and have a debate with different views, otherwise it becomes rather one sided.

What is your view about it and do you also agree that in order to have a healthy debate you should beable to argue against, not just agreeing? "

Cancel culture has been around as long as media and before that. Media barons have always been able to put only the views they want on prominent display. The public generally have very little impact on the point of view of the news they consume/have pushed down their throat.

By *icecouple561Couple  over a year ago
Forum Mod

East Sussex

There are very few people that it's possible to debate with. In my experience that has always been the case.

Cancel culture has also existed to an extent since humans could talk. It just has a name now.

London

"Yes it is tiring.

Justified? I assume you were one who ended friendships over a difference of opinion?

In my mind of someone was willing to end a friendship over politics, I'm better off without them anyway."

Yes I was. And that difference of opinion arose when the true racist colours emerged of a few friends. Likewise, I'm better off without bigots or conspiracy theorists in my circle of friends once their beliefs are made public.

Bournemouth

"Yes it is tiring.

In my mind of someone was willing to end a friendship over politics, I'm better off without them anyway.

Yes I was. And that difference of opinion arose when the true racist colours emerged of a few friends. Likewise, I'm better off without bigots or conspiracy theorists in my circle of friends once their beliefs are made public."

In which case you ended the friendship over racism, not a difference of political opinion.

There's a difference which often people confuse as being one and the same

Forum Mod

Cheeseville, Somerset

"There are certain groups of people who should be excluded from adult debate. For example, conspiracy theorists who use false information as "proof", and far-right bigots who can't provide credible proof for their hatred. You're never going to engage in a sensible debate with them.

I disagree.

A

Good point. However, when you give such people a voice, it usually turns into them becoming abusive when they realise they've lost the debate. One good example is on a Facebook forum I was in some years ago, they invited the PR manager of UKIP in for discussion with the other (left-wing) members, and we were happy for him to be there for an open discussion. No one was abusive to him - in fact, we were all very constructive and diplomatic in trying to address issues with him, and spoke to him in a civilised, sensible manner. It didn't take long for him to start the usual name-calling and abuse of others, when he realised he was losing. Once the abuse started, he was blocked from the group - and quite rightly so.

Not good form, especially when you're views are expected to represent your members."

Yep. Happens on here too.

But you have to give them a voice in order to counter their view.

Try and hide it and they go underground, as happens now. The Internet is the most common means for BS, fake news and conspiracy theory to be circulated because its a one sided conversation.

Look at all the memes circulated during brexit re the Lisobon Treaty. All the alleged new laws coming in that didn't exist, yet became fact simply because people saw it on Facey and clicked 'share'. I managed to speak to a few friends who'd done just that to point out they were lies and only by doing that with two way discussion and engagement did they come to realise they were being catfished.

The bigger the platform these people can be seen on in real life the easier it is to show how batshit they and their views are. But only if its an open, impartial discussion.

Hence podcasts are generally staged with a cast to fit an agenda.

A

London

"Yes it is tiring.

Yes I was. And that difference of opinion arose when the true racist colours emerged of a few friends. Likewise, I'm better off without bigots or conspiracy theorists in my circle of friends once their beliefs are made public.

In which case you ended the friendship over racism, not a difference of political opinion.

There's a difference which often people confuse as being one and the same"

I wouldn't end a friendship just because someone was on the opposite side of the political fence to me. Only when their views become extreme and in-your-face, and they become unreasonable to debate with.

By *ohn KanakaMan  over a year ago

Not all that North of North London

"Yes it is tiring.

Yes I was. And that difference of opinion arose when the true racist colours emerged of a few friends. Likewise, I'm better off without bigots or conspiracy theorists in my circle of friends once their beliefs are made public."

I'm the same, I've certainly ended friendships around covid because of conspiracy theorists and similarly I've tried ti never have racist or biggotted friends.

I don't expect to agree with my friends on everything buy I do want to be around people who don't share the sane core values.

Cancel culture is nothibg more than people assuming a victim complex when they are held accountable for their opinions bevause they believe they have a right not to be challenged on them

By *aggonerMan  over a year ago

for a penny

"Do you have your own opinions? I don’t mean that in a rude way at all. It’s just that I notice your posts are regularly saying “I saw a program that said this”… “I read an article that said this” and then you repeat their views.

Seems like you’re easily influenced.

Anyway - “cancel culture” is dying, luckily. Everyone is human, everyone makes mistakes. Also it’s becoming apparent that those doing the “cancelling” are weirdos who have no lives themselves "

People cite programmes they have heard etc to give their arguments validity. It’s a matter of fact that we get our information from the media and have to form our opinions on the sometimes limited data available to us.

Forum Mod

Cheeseville, Somerset

"Cancel culture is nothibg more than people assuming a victim complex when they are held accountable for their opinions bevause they believe they have a right not to be challenged on them "

I honestly believe that cancel culture itself is as much a conspiracy theory as all conspiracy theories themselves.

It's a response to change. Change that some don't like or feel comfortable with. Change that it's much easier to push a hidden agenda on to that accept it's just simply change based on evolving attitudes and opinions.

Happens with so many subjects, not just ones based on perceived censorship and 'erasure of history'. Whether it's climate change, world economics, government alert systems, 5G, 15 minute cities or whatever....it's easier for some to see a secret, hidden agenda, whether orchestrated by some unknown entity or clearly visible group rather than just accept simple change.

Cancel culture is just a convenient name to throw out, nothing more. Much like 'clique'.

A

By *naswingdressWoman  over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

"Cancel culture is nothibg more than people assuming a victim complex when they are held accountable for their opinions bevause they believe they have a right not to be challenged on them "

Yeah.

Some people really fetishise victimhood.

There's sometimes a herd mentality - on both sides of the aisle - but cancel culture as a phenomenon is mostly pretending to be victim kink.

King's Crustacean

Who are they ?

Thank you.

Ofqual produced a leaflet for 14-19 year olds on welding and motor vehicle college courses. On the front page was a young black woman welding, in nice jewellery and without safety goggles.

There was a lot of complaints at time particularly from colleges in the north west saying this does not speak to their candidates, people were laughing about it, the intake are in most colleges, 100% young white males without the GCSEs to study academic, Ofqual insisted the colleges were institutionally racist and sexist and that’s why young intelligent black females were not applying "

Thanks

You can't tell me who cancelled J.K. Rowling it seems......

Thanks for your effort tho

By *iltsTSgirlTV/TS  over a year ago

chichester

Problem is both sides want to cancel each other out rather than listening talking reaching compromises

The left are shit bags just as much as the right are shit bags. We see this hugely in America with their current right wing conservative ideology going full steam into liberal / gender / body laws

By *ansoffateMan  over a year ago

Sagittarius A

I agree that people should be able to express their opinions.

There's a balance between the freedom to do as you please Vs freedom from harm.

London

Have you ever tried to debate with someone who uses "woke" as a general term of abuse, without knowing the true meaning of the word?

Now there's a challenge.

London

"I agree that people should be able to express their opinions.

There's a balance between the freedom to do as you please Vs freedom from harm."

Of course. Some people, sadly, believe that "free speech" means "hate speech".

By *W1188Man  over a year ago

Kent, London

This 100% x"

Manchester (she/her)

"Have you ever tried to debate with someone who uses "woke" as a general term of abuse, without knowing the true meaning of the word?

Now there's a challenge."

I find it best to recognise that they're speaking a wildly different dialect. Most of the words mean the same thing, but there's some specialised language that is confined to their cultural milieu.

By *entlemanrogueMan  over a year ago

Barrhead

"I watched an interesting program about it and this is also what jordan peterson have talked about.

What is your view about it and do you also agree that in order to have a healthy debate you should beable to argue against, not just agreeing? "

To reach any reasonable conclusion many factors must be considered, the only way to do so is to allow varied views to be discussed.

By *hetalkingstoveMan  over a year ago

London

As ever, there is the conflation between being criticised and being "cancelled". Very few people get cancelled in the sense of being driven out of public life.

Celebrities who have said and done awful things have been criticised and then ultimately just carried on with their lives as normal.

Barrhead

"Have you ever tried to debate with someone who uses "woke" as a general term of abuse, without knowing the true meaning of the word?

Now there's a challenge."

What is the 'True' meaning of the word woke?

i am sure it varies vastly depending who you ask.

Barrhead

"As ever, there is the conflation between being criticised and being "cancelled". Very few people get cancelled in the sense of being driven out of public life.

Celebrities who have said and done awful things have been criticised and then ultimately just carried on with their lives as normal."

or sacked from their job

Manchester (she/her)

"As ever, there is the conflation between being criticised and being "cancelled". Very few people get cancelled in the sense of being driven out of public life.

Celebrities who have said and done awful things have been criticised and then ultimately just carried on with their lives as normal."

Or even whip up further attention and audience.

That's... the opposite of cancelling?

By *ansexualPandaMan  over a year ago

Near You

"Problem is both sides want to cancel each other out rather than listening talking reaching compromises

The left are shit bags just as much as the right are shit bags. We see this hugely in America with their current right wing conservative ideology going full steam into liberal / gender / body laws "

Absolutely! Social media and the left-right popular media divide allow people to jump further into their own echo chambers. I think that's why we're seeing more staunch views and less discussion.

"There are very few people that it's possible to debate with. In my experience that has always been the case.

Cancel culture has also existed to an extent since humans could talk. It just has a name now. "

Yes, there are only few ones too, as you say it is a big thing now, especially with all the narratives

Bournemouth

Now there's a challenge.

i am sure it varies vastly depending who you ask."

I can hazard a guess by what he thinks the 'true' meaning is..

The reason for this is 'the left' won't listen to the right when they tell them what they mean by it. They just spout the old 'alert to injustice, especially racism'

London

Now there's a challenge.

i am sure it varies vastly depending who you ask."

To quote: "In its modern-day, politicised (left-wing) context, ‘woke’ is defined by the Oxford English Dictionary as ‘originally: well-informed, up-to-date. Now chiefly: alert to racial or social discrimination and injustice’. The Urban Dictionary, meanwhile, explains that ‘being woke means being aware… knowing what’s going on in the community (related to racism and social injustice)’."

In other words, consciously awake. Nowadays, this also extends to injustice towards sex, gender, religion etc.

The term ‘woke’ is not inherently an insult - however, it has been weaponised in recent years to criticise people – usually in arguments surrounding identity politics. ‘Woke’ has dethroned ‘politically correct’ and ‘snowflake’ as the insult du jour for many internet trolls wishing to mock the hypersensitivity of the left (Piers Morgan, Laurence Fox, The Sun etc)

By *aggonerMan  over a year ago

for a penny

I’ve noticed in this thread that debate is talked about as allowing others to express their opinions or being an opportunity to oppose “unacceptable” views. I seem to have missed where it says that debate is also an opportunity to learn from others and use it to examine one’s own values in the light of new information.

London

Now there's a challenge.

The reason for this is 'the left' won't listen to the right when they tell them what they mean by it. They just spout the old 'alert to injustice, especially racism'"

What you mean is, we won't listen to your far-right definiton of "woke".

Bournemouth

Now there's a challenge.

The reason for this is 'the left' won't listen to the right when they tell them what they mean by it. They just spout the old 'alert to injustice, especially racism'

What you mean is, we won't listen to your far-right definiton of "woke"."

And there we have it, I'm far-right because I can see 2 sides of a coin.

This is why the left lose arguments..

Have I made any far-right comments here??

London

[Removed by poster at 26/04/23 10:50:58]

Bournemouth

Now there's a challenge.

You've denied the true meaning of the word "woke" in the same way the far-right do. See my post above."

I haven't denied anything...

I said the left won't listen to the right..

There are multiple meanings of many many words, words always adapt to language, you just won't listen.

Celebrities who have said and done awful things have been criticised and then ultimately just carried on with their lives as normal.

or sacked from their job"

Which celebreriesvd8byiu think have been unfairly sacked by cancel culture?

London

Now there's a challenge.

Have I made any far-right comments here?? "

You've behaved in a rather far-right and narrow-minded way by using "woke" as a disparaging term, and denying its true meaning. Also, your "this is why the left lose arguments" speaks volumes about your beliefs.

Bournemouth

Now there's a challenge.

You've behaved in a rather far-right and narrow-minded way by using "woke" as a disparaging term, and denying its true meaning. Also, your "this is why the left lose arguments" speaks volumes about your beliefs.

"

I did no such thing.. I didn't use the word woke apart from in the context of this conversation.

You keep running around screaming far-right, you've already lost.

London

"

I did no such thing.. I didn't use the word woke apart from in the context of this conversation.

You keep running around screaming far-right, you've already lost."

I've lost nothing. To quote your previous post:

"I can hazard a guess by what he thinks the 'true' meaning is..

The reason for this is 'the left' won't listen to the right when they tell them what they mean by it. They just spout the old 'alert to injustice, especially racism'"

And there you have it - now only do you use "woke" as an insult, but also "the left", which speaks volumes about your beliefs. Truth hurts, doesn't it!

By *iltsTSgirlTV/TS  over a year ago

chichester

"Problem is both sides want to cancel each other out rather than listening talking reaching compromises

The left are shit bags just as much as the right are shit bags. We see this hugely in America with their current right wing conservative ideology going full steam into liberal / gender / body laws

Absolutely! Social media and the left-right popular media divide allow people to jump further into their own echo chambers. I think that's why we're seeing more staunch views and less discussion."

Social media is a blight on conceptual free form thinking / debate. People just hide in reinforced echo chambers unfortunately that reinforces views

I am going to laugh when it all comes crashing down under heavy censorship inevitably. People will be united then crying over the loss of freedoms then. Without registering they have been walking into this for years and years.

In the real world most people appear to be in the middle or simply too busy living their life to worry about all this media stoked nonsense at best of times

In my experiences anyway of travelling around the western world .

Bournemouth

"

And there you have it - now only do you use "woke" as an insult, but also "the left", which speaks volumes about your beliefs. Truth hurts, doesn't it!"

Wtf are you on about?

I do not use the word "woke" as an insult. I also do not use the term "the left" as in insult.

You clearly use far-right as an insult to anyone who doesn't conform to your way of thinking, so yes, you have lost this particular battle.

You really should try harder.

London

"

And there you have it - now only do you use "woke" as an insult, but also "the left", which speaks volumes about your beliefs. Truth hurts, doesn't it!

Wtf are you on about?

I do not use the word "woke" as an insult. I also do not use the term "the left" as in insult.

You clearly use far-right as an insult to anyone who doesn't conform to your way of thinking, so yes, you have lost this particular battle.

You really should try harder."

You can deny all you want. The proof is in your previous comments for everyone to see. I could continue to debate this with you, but you obviously haven't quite grasped the meaning of the word "debate", and instead just insult the left and "woke" culture.

I think the real problem today is that people conflate "freedom of speech" with "freedom from consequences."

You are free to say what you want, but if your abhorrent views get you thrown off of a social media platform, or start a movement of people against you, or get your sponsorship deals revoked, that's not cancel culture, that's just you having reached a critical mass of people that happen to think you're an asshole.

The only difference between modern times and the old days is that we can all reach much broader audiences, so it's much easier for a lot of people to reach the conclusion that you're an asshole and act accordingly.

Bournemouth

"

Wtf are you on about?

You can deny all you want. The proof is in your previous comments for everyone to see. I could continue to debate this with you, but you obviously haven't quite grasped the meaning of the word "debate", and instead just insult the left and "woke" culture."

My previous comments are there for all to see. None of which are insulting.

Apart from if you class 'the left won't listen' as insulting

"

Wtf are you on about?

You really should try harder."

I'm sorry buy I agree with the comment Swinging-Cat made. The comments he quoted don't exactly suggest a Liberal perspective

Manchester (she/her)

"I think the real problem today is that people conflate "freedom of speech" with "freedom from consequences."

You are free to say what you want, but if your abhorrent views get you thrown off of a social media platform, or start a movement of people against you, or get your sponsorship deals revoked, that's not cancel culture, that's just you having reached a critical mass of people that happen to think you're an asshole.

The only difference between modern times and the old days is that we can all reach much broader audiences, so it's much easier for a lot of people to reach the conclusion that you're an asshole and act accordingly. "

Yeah, consequences isn't censorship

Bournemouth

[Removed by poster at 26/04/23 11:11:24]

Bournemouth

"

Wtf are you on about?

I'm sorry buy I agree with the comment Swinging-Cat made. The comments he quoted don't exactly suggest a Liberal perspective "

So by me saying the left will only see it in their own context means I'm not Liberal?

I guess it's OK for him to call me 'far-right' because I don't agree with him??

Forum Mod

Cheeseville, Somerset

"

I'm sorry buy I agree with the comment Swinging-Cat made. The comments he quoted don't exactly suggest a Liberal perspective

So by me saying the left will only see it in their own context means I'm not Liberal?

I guess it's OK for him to call me 'far-right' because I don't agree with him?? "

Out of curiosity why do you think 'the left' only see things in their own context, rather than the possibility that they've listened to opposing views and fundamentally disagree with them?

The argument that one side doesn't listen to the other always confuses me.

It's perfectly possible to hear an opposing view, disagree with it and continue to advocate your own stance.

That doesn't mean anyone isn't listening, or do you think that just because they don't change their mind?

A

By *arko2020Man  over a year ago

Sale

It feels like it's often the case that any form of exchange about an emotive subject will descend into name calling and/or finger pointing and ultimately end in further entrenchment in one's own, already strongly held, views.

The whole point of debate is just that...to debate, i.e. to put your point of view across and then *listen* to another point of view (without attempting to shout it down) so as to engage in a reasoned discussion. It feels like the ability to do this has been largely lost, with any attempt ending in "f*** you!!".

I don't know precisely why, but I suspect there are multiple factors...TV, internet, social media, peer pressures, etc. Maybe the biggest issue is simply human nature... we're all born with pride and pride naturally assumes that someone questioning our viewpoint is actually them questioning us as an individual. And pride's natural response to that is often aggressive and confrontational. Perhaps a little humility would go a long way...

But maybe I'm being way too simplistic!

Barrhead

"I’ve noticed in this thread that debate is talked about as allowing others to express their opinions or being an opportunity to oppose “unacceptable” views. I seem to have missed where it says that debate is also an opportunity to learn from others and use it to examine one’s own values in the light of new information. "

^ this is what it should be about.

Bournemouth

"

Out of curiosity why do you think 'the left' only see things in their own context, rather than the possibility that they've listened to opposing views and fundamentally disagree with them?

It's perfectly possible to hear an opposing view, disagree with it and continue to advocate your own stance.

That doesn't mean anyone isn't listening, or do you think that just because they don't change their mind?

A"

Maybe it's because you can show them the context of words used in many different manners yet they won't see it.

People can have their definition but when a particular word is clearly used and explained in a different context, there is no denying it, the left tend to deny it and stick with their perceived definition

By *ulieAndBeefCouple  over a year ago

Manchester-ish

"

I guess it's OK for him to call me 'far-right' because I don't agree with him?? "

So 'the right' aren't using woke as an insult? What is the one true definition they use then?

B

By *erence IIMan  over a year ago

Irrelevant

Whilst I agree with all of this, it is worth pointing out that what qualifies as racist, homophobic etc can and does vary from person to person. A classic example of this is the fairly regular threads that pop up on here about wolf whistling. There is always a range of opinions from women going from enjoyment at recieving a whistle, through indifference to dislike and even fear. Some see it as a compliment, others as sexist objectification.

With all these subjects there will inevitably be opinions/beliefs that pretty much everyone will agree are offensive while there are others that people will disagree on. Read through any thread on here about the police, clothing choices, abortion, sexual preferences etc etc and there will always be a range of opinions that some will be horrified at and apply the labels you have listed above while others consider to be perfectly acceptable.

The problem is, it has been shown that what we believe to be morally right or wrong is an instinctive reaction that we give rational justification to post hoc. Our moral reactions are instinctive and emotional and not readily influenced by reasoned arguments. Understanding this and taking a step back to consider why it is we believe our opinion on a subject is objectively more right than anyone else's is a talent that is in very short supply.

Bournemouth

"

So 'the right' aren't using woke as an insult? What is the one true definition they use then?

B"

'The right' do use it as an insult but not in the manner 'the left' think they do.

I haven't and never will use the word as an insult but apparently I'm 'far right'

Irrelevant

"It feels like it's often the case that any form of exchange about an emotive subject will descend into name calling and/or finger pointing and ultimately end in further entrenchment in one's own, already strongly held, views.

The whole point of debate is just that...to debate, i.e. to put your point of view across and then *listen* to another point of view (without attempting to shout it down) so as to engage in a reasoned discussion. It feels like the ability to do this has been largely lost, with any attempt ending in "f*** you!!".

I don't know precisely why, but I suspect there are multiple factors...TV, internet, social media, peer pressures, etc. Maybe the biggest issue is simply human nature... we're all born with pride and pride naturally assumes that someone questioning our viewpoint is actually them questioning us as an individual. And pride's natural response to that is often aggressive and confrontational. Perhaps a little humility would go a long way...

But maybe I'm being way too simplistic!"

Forum Mod

Cheeseville, Somerset

"

A

Maybe it's because you can show them the context of words used in many different manners yet they won't see it.

People can have their definition but when a particular word is clearly used and explained in a different context, there is no denying it, the left tend to deny it and stick with their perceived definition

"

But so do 'the right' ?

I've put both 'the left' and 'the right' in inverted comments purely because they're seen as opposing sides in most arguments but the same would be true for any two opposing factions.

But any definitions, like any opinions, will always be worded or phrased in a way to suit the agenda of a particular group. Nobody owns words and many can have different applicable definitions dependant on context, usage and intended message. So there's no surprise that two fundamentally different ideologies feel words mean different things.

Woke, snowflake, lefty and similar terms do seem to be the go to insults for anyone not agreeing with more liberal ideas and notions though. And the liberal community have their own choice words for those with more right wing views.

I honestly couldn't care less when people call me woke or snowflake just because I have compassion and empathy for certain groups of people that others feel are a blight on society and the root of all evil in the world. And I chuckle at being called a lefty, given I've voted for Labour once in my lifetime and they're pretty much a highly centric 'Tory light' party at present.

Words can be used in many ways. What's important is the message, context and opinion behind them, not the individual definition of each and every one.

A

"

Wtf are you on about?

I haven't said that its okay for anyone to call you far right.

I'll repeat that using woke as an insult and insulting the left hardly seems indicative of a Liberal viewpoint.

And personally I find one the easiest way to not be accused of being right wing is to not pist comments thst could be construed as right wing

Bournemouth

"

A

But so do 'the right' ?

I've put both 'the left' and 'the right' in inverted comments purely because they're seen as opposing sides in most arguments but the same would be true for any two opposing factions.

But any definitions, like any opinions, will always be worded or phrased in a way to suit the agenda of a particular group. Nobody owns words and many can have different applicable definitions dependant on context, usage and intended message. So there's no surprise that two fundamentally different ideologies feel words mean different things.

Woke, snowflake, lefty and similar terms do seem to be the go to insults for anyone not agreeing with more liberal ideas and notions though. And the liberal community have their own choice words for those with more right wing views.

I honestly couldn't care less when people call me woke or snowflake just because I have compassion and empathy for certain groups of people that others feel are a blight on society and the root of all evil in the world. And I chuckle at being called a lefty, given I've voted for Labour once in my lifetime and they're pretty much a highly centric 'Tory light' party at present.

Words can be used in many ways. What's important is the message, context and opinion behind them, not the individual definition of each and every one.

A"

I agree with everything you've said there. That was the point I was trying to make, definitions can be switched around depending on who is using said word. I personally only ever see the left getting touchy about it when the word 'woke' is used.

Surely the person using the word I'd the one who knows what they mean by it?

Bournemouth

"

Wtf are you on about?

I haven't said that its okay for anyone to call you far right.

I'll repeat that using woke as an insult and insulting the left hardly seems indicative of a Liberal viewpoint.

And personally I find one the easiest way to not be accused of being right wing is to not pist comments thst could be construed as right wing"

So it's not OK but you keep quiet on what he has said and want to pick up on what I've said? Gotcha

Which comments have I made that could be construed as 'far-right'?

"It's only debating when people speak AND listen. To many times people can't handle differing opinions and let emotions overpower their words. I like the " we can agree to disagree"

Rather than constantly shaming views different to you own. A referees job is never easy"

You are right there as well, as some people cant handle differing opinions

Manchester-ish

"

I personally only ever see the left getting touchy about it when the word 'woke' is used.

Surely the person using the word I'd the one who knows what they mean by it?"

Of course, people get touchy when they are being insulted, like you got touchy when you were accused of being 'far right'.

B

Forum Mod

Cheeseville, Somerset

"

A

But so do 'the right' ?

A

I agree with everything you've said there. That was the point I was trying to make, definitions can be switched around depending on who is using said word. I personally only ever see the left getting touchy about it when the word 'woke' is used.

I understand why some do get touchy though. The literal definition of woke relates to simply being informed, educated and aware.

How that has been weaponised to be an insult is insane.

Why is being informed and educated in any way negative? To use it as an insult makes zero sense and lacking basic logic.

If someone can explain to me and others the reasoning behind it's use, then maybe people would stop getting frustrated when the word is thrown around.

A

"

A

But so do 'the right' ?

A

Maybe the left get touchy because its used as an insult by the right?

I find it interesting you have taken offence at the suggestion you are far right by another poster yet seem to think the left are being 'touchy' when a deliberate insult is used towards them

Bournemouth

"

A

But so do 'the right' ?

A

I understand why some do get touchy though. The literal definition of woke relates to simply being informed, educated and aware.

How that has been weaponised to be an insult is insane.

Why is being informed and educated in any way negative? To use it as an insult makes zero sense and lacking basic logic.

If someone can explain to me and others the reasoning behind it's use, then maybe people would stop getting frustrated when the word is thrown around.

A"

Definitions are constantly updated, and as you said, can have multiple meanings.

The word 'woke' is used more often as an insult against people who 'think they are informed, educated and aware', key note there is 'think'

Bournemouth

"

A

But so do 'the right' ?

A

Maybe the left get touchy because its used as an insult by the right?

I find it interesting you have taken offence at the suggestion you are far right by another poster yet seem to think the left are being 'touchy' when a deliberate insult is used towards them"

I have asked for an explanation as to what words I used that would make someone think I was 'far right'.

BTW, I haven't taken offence.

Bournemouth

"

I personally only ever see the left getting touchy about it when the word 'woke' is used.

Of course, people get touchy when they are being insulted, like you got touchy when you were accused of being 'far right'.

B"

I'm not touchy, I just don't know what I've said that could be deemed 'far-right'

Especially as it was said after only one response. To me, the person who got touchy is the person who accused me

What is this far right and left?

"

B

I'm not touchy, I just don't know what I've said that could be deemed 'far-right'

Especially as it was said after only one response. To me, the person who got touchy is the person who accused me"

I've read all the comments. I think one can be critical of the left without being far-right. I am at times and I'm politically on the left. That's how I interpreted that you said.

By *nkyCplCouple  over a year ago

Northampton

Amusing to myself that this has come up after me trying to engage in a healthy debate on here yesterday. (I’m not saying the 2 are linked.)

It’s the extremes on both sides that struggle/fail with critical thinking.

"Amusing to myself that this has come up after me trying to engage in a healthy debate on here yesterday. (I’m not saying the 2 are linked.)

It’s the extremes on both sides that struggle/fail with critical thinking.

"

Some topics just always attract more people with extreme views I guess.

Northampton

"I think the real problem today is that people conflate "freedom of speech" with "freedom from consequences.""

We don’t have freedom of speech in the U.K.

Bournemouth

"

B

Especially as it was said after only one response. To me, the person who got touchy is the person who accused me

I've read all the comments. I think one can be critical of the left without being far-right. I am at times and I'm politically on the left. That's how I interpreted that you said. "

I'm also critical of the right even though I sit 'centre-right' on the politics scale.

Northampton

Just read all the way through and several on here have highlighted how NOT to debate.

I’ve gone through all posts multiple times and am yet to see ANY far right rhetoric from FastandFeisty. Personally think they’ve handled it pretty well (not perfect) and they’re just asking for the people to prove their point. I can’t say I agree on their thoughts on the use of the word “woke”, but they haven’t been insulting with it.

This is an awesome thread for showing how people that are so emotionally invested in a topic just respond from emotion.

Manchester-ish

"

B

Especially as it was said after only one response. To me, the person who got touchy is the person who accused me"

Maybe they weren't using 'far right' how you thought they were

B

Northampton

"

B

B"

Is why they’ve asked repeatedly for people that have said it to explain what they mean.

Bournemouth

"

B

B

Is why they’ve asked repeatedly for people that have said it to explain what they mean. "

Thank you, its exactly the reason I ask, no one hasn't answered me.

It just screams of a 'pack mentality' against someone (wrongly) perceived to be 'far-right' and why I said early on that the 'left' don't listen. Maybe don't listen isn't correct terminology but I've said it

Forum Mod

Cheeseville, Somerset

"Just read all the way through and several on here have highlighted how NOT to debate.

I’ve gone through all posts multiple times and am yet to see ANY far right rhetoric from FastandFeisty. Personally think they’ve handled it pretty well (not perfect) and they’re just asking for the people to prove their point. I can’t say I agree on their thoughts on the use of the word “woke”, but they haven’t been insulting with it.

This is an awesome thread for showing how people that are so emotionally invested in a topic just respond from emotion."

I don't really care whether someone considers themselves left, centre or right politically.

But i'm a little put off by the fact that woke has been phrased as being applicable to people who 'think' they're informed or educated.

I've known some very educated and informed people be accused of being 'woke' (myself included) over the years and on Fab too.

What makes someone capable of establishing if someone is informed and educated or just 'thinks' they are?

I'd suggest that use of rational argument, evidence based fact, clear and concise use of peer reviewed data and first hand specialist knowledge in certain areas would make someone both informed AND educated on a particular subject and yet people still throw 'woke' at them.

That is one of the reasons it's perceived as an insult thrown about when the person doing the throwing has no argument of their own to fall back on.

A

By *eorge1949Man  over a year ago

BroadwayWR11

An aspect that constantly dismays me is the inability of so many to come up with a reasoned response when faced with something with which they disagree, or with which they feel obliged to disagree.

There nearly always is another side to every opinion so why not simply state your own opposing view without malice or personal insults and let the readers decide which, if any, they support - with, hopefully, their reasons.

Shoot the messenger seems to apply more than shoot the message in that personal attacks are widely used as a substitute for reasoned debate about any topic.

It does seem that so many people are influenced by others who they feel obliged to follow because it is 'trendy' - what a horrible word - or politically correct.

It's an old adage - I may not agree with what your views but I respect your right to hold those views.

By *partharmonyCouple  over a year ago

Ruislip

The thing to remember about Jordan Peterson is that he talks utter shite and you shouldn't pay attention to him.

Northampton

"Just read all the way through and several on here have highlighted how NOT to debate.

This is an awesome thread for showing how people that are so emotionally invested in a topic just respond from emotion.

I don't really care whether someone considers themselves left, centre or right politically.

But i'm a little put off by the fact that woke has been phrased as being applicable to people who 'think' they're informed or educated.

I've known some very educated and informed people be accused of being 'woke' (myself included) over the years and on Fab too.

What makes someone capable of establishing if someone is informed and educated or just 'thinks' they are?

I'd suggest that use of rational argument, evidence based fact, clear and concise use of peer reviewed data and first hand specialist knowledge in certain areas would make someone both informed AND educated on a particular subject and yet people still throw 'woke' at them.

That is one of the reasons it's perceived as an insult thrown about when the person doing the throwing has no argument of their own to fall back on.

A"

I think I agree. I don’t consider myself “woke” (hate the term) and approach debates in the same way as yourself, with logic & reason.

Northampton

"The thing to remember about Jordan Peterson is that he talks utter shite and you shouldn't pay attention to him."

Couldn’t disagree more with this and would genuinely love to get into a healthy debate about, however it would totally derail this thread ha ha.

Sagittarius A

"What is this far right and left?"

I think you have to take into account authoritarianism and libertarianism. More like a compass than a simple left-right scale.

So Stalin would be Authoritarian left. Someone like Noam Chomsky would be libertarian left.

I'm far more forgiving of left-right differences than I am authoritarianism. In the words of Emma Goldman. If I can't dance, I don't want any part of your revolution.

London

"The thing to remember about Jordan Peterson is that he talks utter shite and you shouldn't pay attention to him."

Indeed so. The fact that right wing people hold him up as some kind of great thinker is pretty telling.

Forum Mod

Cheeseville, Somerset

"

It's an old adage - I may not agree with what your views but I respect your right to hold those views."

The problem there is that some views don't deserve respect, nor should people be respected for the views they hold.

Where do you draw the line as accepting the opinions of others when it comes to racism, sexism, misogyny, misandry, homophobia etc. ?

Do you really think people holding highly offensive viewpoints are deserving of any respect at all?

It's perfectly acceptable in my mind to detest both certain beliefs and opinions and the people who hold them.

A

By *yreGuy99Man  over a year ago

Wyre/Persh

It's just a bunch of sad morons pretending to be offended and effected so they can feel like they have some power in thier otherwise petty lives.

The newer generations are nothing but baby's in adults bodys

Northampton

"What is this far right and left?

I think you have to take into account authoritarianism and libertarianism. More like a compass than a simple left-right scale.

So Stalin would be Authoritarian left. Someone like Noam Chomsky would be libertarian left.

I'm far more forgiving of left-right differences than I am authoritarianism. In the words of Emma Goldman. If I can't dance, I don't want any part of your revolution."

I ADORE this and I’m totally going to pinch to describe how I feel when people quiz what side I sit on.

That is a golden quote too!

Sagittarius A

"The thing to remember about Jordan Peterson is that he talks utter shite and you shouldn't pay attention to him.

Couldn’t disagree more with this and would genuinely love to get into a healthy debate about, however it would totally derail this thread ha ha."

I agree, whilst much of what he says I do not agree with. It is far from utter shite. His debate with zizek was brilliant, and he acknowledged his assumptions were not infallible. I've also seen him display real emotion and share his experiences in interviews. That's never utter shite.

By *red333Man  over a year ago

Dorchester

Its just like being in the forums if we all thought the same and had the same opinion it would be monotonous, i realise a lot of guys have the exact same opinion as attractive women not absolutely sure why that is!

Northampton

"The thing to remember about Jordan Peterson is that he talks utter shite and you shouldn't pay attention to him.

Couldn’t disagree more with this and would genuinely love to get into a healthy debate about, however it would totally derail this thread ha ha.

I agree, whilst much of what he says I do not agree with. It is far from utter shite. His debate with zizek was brilliant, and he acknowledged his assumptions were not infallible. I've also seen him display real emotion and share his experiences in interviews. That's never utter shite. "

Very similar to me. Don’t agree with everything he says, but love the way he conducts debates and he is HIGHLY intelligent. The same can be said for Zizek. I’ve watched that debate soooo many times and it’s awesome.

Northampton

"What is your view about it and do you also agree that in order to have a healthy debate you should beable to argue against, not just agreeing? Its just like being in the forums if we all thought the same and had the same opinion it would be monotonous, i realise a lot of guys have the exact same opinion as attractive women not absolutely sure why that is! "

I wonder what would happen if those women were “woke”, or “far right”?

*opens can of worms*

Sagittarius A

I'm far more forgiving of left-right differences than I am authoritarianism. In the words of Emma Goldman. If I can't dance, I don't want any part of your revolution.

I ADORE this and I’m totally going to pinch to describe how I feel when people quiz what side I sit on.

That is a golden quote too! "

Ha we messaged each other at the same time. Peterson would call that Jungian synchronicity lol.

Please do I think many on the left or right are actually coming from a place of freedom and liberty. Whether that's free-market or socialism. They are both my kind of people, if that's their goal.

I was once quite the anarchist Emma Goldman is such an influence on me. Love her work.

Bournemouth

A"

Why are you put off by it?

If you can come back at those people with clear, reasoned and logical opinion then surely that just shows you in a better light than them.

Northampton

"

That is a golden quote too!

Ha we messaged each other at the same time. Peterson would call that Jungian synchronicity lol.

Please do I think many on the left or right are actually coming from a place of freedom and liberty. Whether that's free-market or socialism. They are both my kind of people, if that's their goal.

I was once quite the anarchist Emma Goldman is such an influence on me. Love her work."

I wish I was intelligent enough to appreciate that joke. Have done ZERO reading into Carl Jung so completely flew over my head…sounded wicked smaht though!

Exactly my thoughts on the left/right thing. Two sides of the same coin.

By *agerMorganMan  over a year ago

Canvey Island

I’ve stated that we lost the art of debating back in 2012 after Obama won his second term in office. The rise of the far right was then set in motion.

Debating topics is healthy & when presented with the facts and argued well, it can change a viewpoint considerably BUT should we debate those subjects which may cause harm to life and limb? Should we be debating sending people to gulags or bringing back the death penalty? No, we shouldn’t. It brings out the worst sort of people.

The far left has a problem in that it think its always right, the far right also thinks the same and hey presto, we now have a situation where, unless you’re in either camp, you’re a nobody.

Throw in social media and you have the perfect storm to build those echo chambers and let disgusting views be aired, and as we’ve seen the last few months, act on those views.

To end on this, to part quote Star Trek; “You’ll use competing ideas to bomb each other to rubble”, and that is what is going to happen unless we get around a table and debate the issues in our world and find a way forward

By *red333Man  over a year ago

Dorchester

"What is your view about it and do you also agree that in order to have a healthy debate you should beable to argue against, not just agreeing? Its just like being in the forums if we all thought the same and had the same opinion it would be monotonous, i realise a lot of guys have the exact same opinion as attractive women not absolutely sure why that is!

I wonder what would happen if those women were “woke”, or “far right”?

*opens can of worms*"

The guys agreeing would still agree and after sex do a runner

London

The problem with this "far left is as bad as the far right!" stuff is that there isn't any meaningful far left presence or advocacy in the UK. Far left would be hard communism; do we see that advocated anywhere across the media?

What we get is people being called "far left" for such outrageous positions as wanting fairer distribution of wealth, action on climate change, and protections for discriminated against groups.

There's no sense of balance in UK debate on this.

I'm far more forgiving of left-right differences than I am authoritarianism. In the words of Emma Goldman. If I can't dance, I don't want any part of your revolution."

I am none the wiser,but thanks

So is nobody going to explain this left and right malarkey,if they were news channels what would be left and right?

Sagittarius A

I agree, whilst much of what he says I do not agree with. It is far from utter shite. His debate with zizek was brilliant, and he acknowledged his assumptions were not infallible. I've also seen him display real emotion and share his experiences in interviews. That's never utter shite.

Very similar to me. Don’t agree with everything he says, but love the way he conducts debates and he is HIGHLY intelligent. The same can be said for Zizek. I’ve watched that debate soooo many times and it’s awesome."

Absolutely he's genius level really. He does not let others twist his words or misrepresent him. That's someone with self-respect. I value that over differences of opinion. And I am the same, I decide what my thoughts and feelings are. Don't be straw-manning me. You want to talk then that starts and ends with respecting my personal boundaries always. He's an experienced clinical practitioner he knows when someone oversteps that mark and how to deal with it.

Zizek is the polar opposite, a pluralist who tries to appreciate multiple perspectives. Rather than prove there is a specific answer. He seeks an optimal one. When Zizek at the start said, I am not arguing for communism. Peterson didn't say oh yes your are. He sat down and had a discussion. He admitted his assumption was wrong. Instead of rupture there was cohesion.

I value both qualities.

By *exyBums22Couple  over a year ago

Milton Keynes

You lost me at Jordan Peterson.

The guy is unhinged.

By *emorefridaCouple  over a year ago

La la land

I'm not sure if cancel culture is what stops the debate. I think the need to be the one in the right/perceived winner etc is what stops debate.

If it's a debate, to me it means there is no correct answer just differences of opinion. Nobody knows everything I think if more people accepted that rather than try and appear that they do. Better well informed debates would occur.

Northampton

"The problem with this "far left is as bad as the far right!" stuff is that there isn't any meaningful far left presence or advocacy in the UK. Far left would be hard communism; do we see that advocated anywhere across the media?

What we get is people being called "far left" for such outrageous positions as wanting fairer distribution of wealth, action on climate change, and protections for discriminated against groups.

There's no sense of balance in UK debate on this."

Using your logic there’s no far right then.

Northampton

Very similar to me. Don’t agree with everything he says, but love the way he conducts debates and he is HIGHLY intelligent. The same can be said for Zizek. I’ve watched that debate soooo many times and it’s awesome.

Absolutely he's genius level really. He does not let others twist his words or misrepresent him. That's someone with self-respect. I value that over differences of opinion. And I am the same, I decide what my thoughts and feelings are. Don't be straw-manning me. You want to talk then that starts and ends with respecting my personal boundaries always. He's an experienced clinical practitioner he knows when someone oversteps that mark and how to deal with it.

Zizek is the polar opposite, a pluralist who tries to appreciate multiple perspectives. Rather than prove there is a specific answer. He seeks an optimal one. When Zizek at the start said, I am not arguing for communism. Peterson didn't say oh yes your are. He sat down and had a discussion. He admitted his assumption was wrong. Instead of rupture there was cohesion.

I value both qualities. "

Me and you would get on very well my friend. I find it way more positive when people are open to every side of the discussion rather than focusing on their own, often skewed, “side”.

I started watching a lot of Zizeks debates & talks. He’s so calm & such a genuinely nice human it’s almost captivating even when I don’t necessarily align with what he’s saying.

Sadly the art of listening is one many seem to have lost and the nuances of typed text can be so easily misinterpreted, as we are all too often quick to assume ill intent behind what is typed. Offense is now too easily taken, as a default to someone whose views are different to our own.

Left or right if a group refuses to allow discussion or the offering of differing opinion then that group is advocating an autocracy .... and that damages democracy and freedom of speech and thought.

So I may find views that differ to my own challenging and at times abhorrent... I am willing to listen, to alter my views based on the weight of evidence presented to me just as I will also present my views and my evidence. Ultimately we may agree to disagree ... that is the joy of freedom and democracy.

"I'm not sure if cancel culture is what stops the debate. I think the need to be the one in the right/perceived winner etc is what stops debate.

If it's a debate, to me it means there is no correct answer just differences of opinion. Nobody knows everything I think if more people accepted that rather than try and appear that they do. Better well informed debates would occur. "

But cancel culture prevents debates. It stops it before it can even get to that stage. “You did something we don’t like therefore you are disqualified from partaking”

"You lost me at Jordan Peterson.

The guy is unhinged.

"

You lost me on that comment

By *emorefridaCouple  over a year ago

La la land

"I'm not sure if cancel culture is what stops the debate. I think the need to be the one in the right/perceived winner etc is what stops debate.

If it's a debate, to me it means there is no correct answer just differences of opinion. Nobody knows everything I think if more people accepted that rather than try and appear that they do. Better well informed debates would occur.

But cancel culture prevents debates. It stops it before it can even get to that stage. “You did something we don’t like therefore you are disqualified from partaking”"

But who is being cancelled? It's a buzz word in reality isn't it? As I only ever see it being applied to celebrities and famous people. Nobody is going to cancel me as I'm generally unimportant to the majority of people

Milton Keynes

The guy is unhinged.

You lost me on that comment"

Unhinged - unsettled, disordered, or distraught:

He became unhinged when his friend died.

Alternatively

Unhinged- having no hinge or hinges, or with the hinges removed:

an unhinged gate.

Northampton

The guy is unhinged.

"

This is another example of how NOT to engage in debates/discourse.

Irrelevant

Indeed so. The fact that right wing people hold him up as some kind of great thinker is pretty telling."

I think that the fact someone who is objectively very intelligent, highly educated and who has a very good grasp of a huge amount of scientific research is rejected as talking utter shite by any number of individuals with none of his talents is also particularly telling.

Do I like the guy? No not really, he comes across to me as far too preachy and almost evangelical in his approach which makes me dislike him. Do I agree with everything I've heard him say? No, not at all. Am I intelligent enough to understand that my like or dislike of a person and what they say isn't an effective way to judge whether their opinions are utter shite? Yes, of course I am. The kind of person who dismisses the work of someone who has a great deal of expertise and experience in their field simply because they have an emotional reaction to what they say is the exact reason for this whole thread. We cannot debate if we don't start from a baseline of mutual respect. If we start with the fixed and rigid belief that anyone we don't like is talking utter shite, there is absolutely zero point in any discussion. This mindset is cancel culture at it's finest. For what it's worth, I would consider myself someway left of centre in my outlook.

Northampton

Indeed so. The fact that right wing people hold him up as some kind of great thinker is pretty telling.

I think that the fact someone who is objectively very intelligent, highly educated and who has a very good grasp of a huge amount of scientific research is rejected as talking utter shite by any number of individuals with none of his talents is also particularly telling.

Do I like the guy? No not really, he comes across to me as far too preachy and almost evangelical in his approach which makes me dislike him. Do I agree with everything I've heard him say? No, not at all. Am I intelligent enough to understand that my like or dislike of a person and what they say isn't an effective way to judge whether their opinions are utter shite? Yes, of course I am. The kind of person who dismisses the work of someone who has a great deal of expertise and experience in their field simply because they have an emotional reaction to what they say is the exact reason for this whole thread. We cannot debate if we don't start from a baseline of mutual respect. If we start with the fixed and rigid belief that anyone we don't like is talking utter shite, there is absolutely zero point in any discussion. This mindset is cancel culture at it's finest. For what it's worth, I would consider myself someway left of centre in my outlook. "

Nailed it!

Milton Keynes

The guy is unhinged.

This is another example of how NOT to engage in debates/discourse."

I wasn't really looking for a debate

Northampton

The guy is unhinged.

I wasn't really looking for a debate "

Oh we can all tell.

By *adCherriesCouple  over a year ago

Cheshire/Northwest

Lol that made me laugh! what you think is 'racist, ageist, sexist , disablist , homophobic etc' may be perfectly reasonable to someone else. This is where debate comes in, without creating your own ground rules. You may hear things you dont like/agree with but then you persuade people with your argument.

Bournemouth

The guy is unhinged.

I wasn't really looking for a debate "

Why did you join in a 'debate' thread?

Having read some comments on here I now know I'm definitely right wing,I'd rather watch fox news than CNN,in fact CNN can fuck right off,I like Jordan Peterson and Ben Shapiro and also Katie Hopkins,I like Julia Hartley brewer and Mike Graham,you get the picture

Milton Keynes

Are we now having a debate about debating?

Northampton

"Having read some comments on here I now know I'm definitely right wing,I'd rather watch fox news than CNN,in fact CNN can fuck right off,I like Jordan Peterson and Ben Shapiro and also Katie Hopkins,I like Julia Hartley brewer and Mike Graham,you get the picture"

Honestly check some of Zizeks content for a view from the other side. If you appreciate JP you should get on well with him too.

Northampton

"Are we now having a debate about debating?

"

Not with you apparently.

"Having read some comments on here I now know I'm definitely right wing,I'd rather watch fox news than CNN,in fact CNN can fuck right off,I like Jordan Peterson and Ben Shapiro and also Katie Hopkins,I like Julia Hartley brewer and Mike Graham,you get the picture

Honestly check some of Zizeks content for a view from the other side. If you appreciate JP you should get on well with him too. "

Who is zizeks? It's ok I'll check him out

Milton Keynes

Not with you apparently. "

Exactly right. A little too right.

Northampton

"Having read some comments on here I now know I'm definitely right wing,I'd rather watch fox news than CNN,in fact CNN can fuck right off,I like Jordan Peterson and Ben Shapiro and also Katie Hopkins,I like Julia Hartley brewer and Mike Graham,you get the picture

Honestly check some of Zizeks content for a view from the other side. If you appreciate JP you should get on well with him too.

Who is zizeks? It's ok I'll check him out"

He’s an idiosyncratic philosopher. Some think he’s a Marxist, but have a watch of some his debates, the one with JP is good

Northampton

Not with you apparently.

Exactly right. A little too right."

Much like your other posts in here, I’m not sure where you’re going with that. Have an awesome day though.

He’s an idiosyncratic philosopher. Some think he’s a Marxist, but have a watch of some his debates, the one with JP is good "

I like JP but he can be too smart for his own good sometimes,he's a bit self indulgent with his words if you get my drift

Milton Keynes

I thought it was pretty obvious haha

Just trying to inject some humour.

But I agree, not really that funny.

"Having read some comments on here I now know I'm definitely right wing,I'd rather watch fox news than CNN,in fact CNN can fuck right off,I like Jordan Peterson and Ben Shapiro and also Katie Hopkins,I like Julia Hartley brewer and Mike Graham,you get the picture"

I am genuinely curious: how do you feel about Fox News now that the recent Dominion lawsuit and settlement has resulted in the public availability of un refutable evidence that Fox News hosts purposefully and knowingly lied to their audience in order to prevent them migrating to more extreme right-wing outlets like NewsMax and OANN?

Or were you genuinely unaware you were being lied to in the first place?

As I have a feeling you may question any source I provide, I will just link to a neutrally worded Google search to help you find out more, should you be interested:

https://www.google.com/search?q=fox%20news%20hosts%20texts

Northampton

He’s an idiosyncratic philosopher. Some think he’s a Marxist, but have a watch of some his debates, the one with JP is good

I like JP but he can be too smart for his own good sometimes,he's a bit self indulgent with his words if you get my drift"

Yup he can come across quite preachy at times. He’s the first to admit he’s not always right though and I admire that.

The guy is unhinged.

"

By "unhinged", are you rather offensively alluding to the fact that Jordan Peterson has had mental health problems? Do you believe that people with mental health problems are incapable of contributing logically to political or social issues?

I like JP but he can be too smart for his own good sometimes,he's a bit self indulgent with his words if you get my drift

Yup he can come across quite preachy at times. He’s the first to admit he’s not always right though and I admire that."

Agreed

By *ackformore100Man  over a year ago

Tin town

Yep agree. And sometimes any contrary view may be unfashionable or considered extreme but ill defend the right of people to hold those views and be free to debate them without fear of stupid repurcussions. Freedom of expression is important and one of the values our parents and gtandparents have fought so hard for.

Manchester (she/her)

This went about as well as I expected.

Northampton

"This went about as well as I expected."

I actually think it’s going a lot better than expected.

The guy is unhinged.

By "unhinged", are you rather offensively alluding to the fact that Jordan Peterson has had mental health problems? Do you believe that people with mental health problems are incapable of contributing logically to political or social issues?"

Oh that's a good answer,I wish I was intelligent enough to have thought of that,alas I'm stupid

Tin town

"I'm currently listening to a podcast called the witch trials of JK Rowling. Talks about how cancel culture started and how Internet has created it.

So I totally agree, I may find the views of some people abhorrent but the best way to deal with it is to debate and show an alternative view and expose people. Cancel culture is an autocratic approach used in history by those who use fear to make sure people align to views and bahaviours they deem acceptable.

"

Expose people? For what? Holding different views.? They are entitled to their views exactly the same as any of the more fashionable ones are

What is your view about it and do you also agree that in order to have a healthy debate you should beable to argue against, not just agreeing?

Yep agree. And sometimes any contrary view may be unfashionable or considered extreme but ill defend the right of people to hold those views and be free to debate them without fear of stupid repurcussions. Freedom of expression is important and one of the values our parents and gtandparents have fought so hard for. "

Wow....I don't often agree with you but that is bang on

By *ellhungvweMan  over a year ago

Cheltenham

I haven’t ever watched Jordan Peterson (or fully read the thread - too long) but my view is that any society that tries to ban discussion (because it is “offensive”, “subversive” or against a particular ideology) invariably ends up on the wrong side of history.

Book burning and inquisitions, which are the original mechanisms for “cancel” culture have taken place across all elements of the political spectrum and they usually result in a totalitarian regime of some type - basically unpleasant places to live.

Being able to be offended is one of the few reasonable predictors of a viable and energetic society and it is something that we would do well to protect in my view.

By *odgerMooreMan  over a year ago

Carlisle

Id only have to say J K Rowling stuck

Harry potters wand up My arse to get 20 grand off the gutter press for my exclusive … theyd spray it everywhere causing untold reputational damage then print a 2mm retraction on page. 133 of the sunday supplement advertising pages - she didn’t by the way… id probably let her though!! Am I digressing??

Manchester (she/her)

"This went about as well as I expected.

I actually think it’s going a lot better than expected. "

I see two camps who are speaking an increasingly divided language, talking past each other.

Hey ho.

Bournemouth

I see two camps who are speaking an increasingly divided language, talking past each other.

Hey ho."

I see one side doing that and the other asking them to explain their reasoning.

Maybe I see it one sided as it was aimed at me

Milton Keynes

The guy is unhinged.

By "unhinged", are you rather offensively alluding to the fact that Jordan Peterson has had mental health problems? Do you believe that people with mental health problems are incapable of contributing logically to political or social issues?"

What the hell! No way. I didn't even know he had mental health problems.

Hey ho."

You mean like the virus forum

Tin town

Hey ho."

More swear words and SHOUTING needed?

Irrelevant

The "infant CNN can fuck right off" attitude is no different to the "Jordan Peterson talks utter shite"

Both are a sign of a closed mind. I deeply dislike Katie Hopkins but that doesn't mean I dismiss her opinions out of hand. Off the top of my head I can't think of anything she's said I agree with but that is probably due to the fact she is championed by the right wing press who will obviously loudly publicise her opinions that fit with their ethos and so clash with mine. It's almost certainly true that my perception of her is skewed as a result of this so while I'm prepared to dismiss specific examples of her beliefs (for example her language when talking about immigration) I won't say she can fuck off.

Forum Mod

Cheeseville, Somerset

"The problem with this "far left is as bad as the far right!" stuff is that there isn't any meaningful far left presence or advocacy in the UK. Far left would be hard communism; do we see that advocated anywhere across the media?

There's no sense of balance in UK debate on this.

Using your logic there’s no far right then. "

Not at all. What's being said is that when people use the phrase 'far left' that the people being labelled aren't far left at all. Just decent, empathetic humans, with a heightened sense of awareness about inequalities, whether that involves economic issues, civil rights or simply about valuing all people the same way, rather than some artificial pecking order based on wealth, status or whatever.

Far left would, as has been said, be communism. Nobody is advocating that.

Whereas there's most definitely a rise in far right attitudes and politics across the globe. And that has trickled down into many facets of every day life to the extent that people don't even see those views as being right wing at all any more, which is seriously worrying.

A

Its been an interesting discussion everyone