FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Shopify website builder

Shopify website builder

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

Hi guys I need advice from any small business owners.

Anyone ever built their own website/e commerce business on shopify themselves?

I am getting quoted £1.5k for someone to build a site for me but he is gonna use shopify. Just wondering is it that difficult that I need him or can I do myself???

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *rHotNottsMan  over a year ago

Dubai & Nottingham

You really don’t need a website these days they are so 1990’s , unless you’re like a PLC.

Just use social media and e-commerce platforms it’s far better for most SME’s

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Are you selling services or products?

Products.

"You really don’t need a website these days they are so 1990’s , unless you’re like a PLC.

Just use social media and e-commerce platforms it’s far better for most SME’s"

I guess I should have been clearer, it's the ecommerce platform I'm asking him to build I was just wondering if it's worth spending them money to ask him to do or is it simple enough to do on your own

By *aui.Man  over a year ago

around here

I built both of my websites using godaddy. It was far, far easier than I expected. I don't direct sell from either website though.

"Products. "

I know quite a few small biz owners and they do fine without a website up to a point. But if you only rely on say, Etsy and TikTok to sell products - you're on borrowed land and relying on their platforms. Etsy can be a nightmare with high fees. TikTok force discounts. Shopify is meant for businesses with an established customer base.

The amount you've been quoted for a decent website sounds fine. Shopify websites aren't a doddle to sort. Is this person going to hook up the website with your social channels too for that price? Usually the issue with biz websites is getting charged a load afterwards to do any maintenance or being missold features you don't need. If you want a site you can maintain yourself have you asked them about this?

Dubai & Nottingham

"Products.

I know quite a few small biz owners and they do fine without a website up to a point. But if you only rely on say, Etsy and TikTok to sell products - you're on borrowed land and relying on their platforms. Etsy can be a nightmare with high fees. TikTok force discounts. Shopify is meant for businesses with an established customer base.

The amount you've been quoted for a decent website sounds fine. Shopify websites aren't a doddle to sort. Is this person going to hook up the website with your social channels too for that price? Usually the issue with biz websites is getting charged a load afterwards to do any maintenance or being missold features you don't need. If you want a site you can maintain yourself have you asked them about this?"

You can implement payment gateway and even catalog & stock using eBay / Amazon etc but I guess if you want to use your own banks merchant account etc to avoid platform fees then it’s an option but people tend to buy more easily from platforms they trust than things like shopify. Plus they nail the SEO as those platforms have higher google page rank on searches all you have to do is focus on content.

I wouldn’t use shopify , I’d just price higher and use a good solid and trusted platform

By *astandFeistyCouple  over a year ago

Bournemouth

It depends what you're selling. I have a shopify platform which I built myself.

Mainly because my products are restricted in other places.

Feel free to drop me a DM if you'd like a conversation about it

Dubai & Nottingham

"You really don’t need a website these days they are so 1990’s , unless you’re like a PLC.

I guess I should have been clearer, it's the ecommerce platform I'm asking him to build I was just wondering if it's worth spending them money to ask him to do or is it simple enough to do on your own"

Definitely Pay for good visual design, UI/UX, photographs , descriptions / USP’s, placement, SEM, SMM etc is also worth it if you can track ROI . I used to pay 20-30K a month for AdWords budget management and each month it bought in over 100K sales that dropped to zero without the SEM.so it’s not not rocket science , if your CPC and conversion is better than your margin etc it works

Technical API integration for e-commerce - ordering, payment , returns etc should be standard but you can get people off fiverr dot com to do it for $100 if you’re not confident

I guess I should have been clearer, it's the ecommerce platform I'm asking him to build I was just wondering if it's worth spending them money to ask him to do or is it simple enough to do on your own"

Shopify gives you a 14 free trial before having to pay anything, whilst it is not the easiest platform it also isn't the hardest at all and 1.5k seems a little high as I'm sure you could find someone cheaper on fiverr or people per hour. I use many different platforms for our business but the easiest to use when starting out was big cartel.

By *inchyorksMan  over a year ago

huddersfield

I set up both of my sites using Wordpress, its is pretty self explanatory and for the parts that aren't, there is always the you and the tube.

One sight I sell products, which I had to ask a friend to help set up with the commerce plug in, the other just looks people to another site to book tickets.

Its not too difficult but can be time consuming, the worst thing for me was the copy and spelling and grammar

"I set up both of my sites using Wordpress, its is pretty self explanatory and for the parts that aren't, there is always the you and the tube.

One sight I sell products, which I had to ask a friend to help set up with the commerce plug in, the other just looks people to another site to book tickets.

Its not too difficult but can be time consuming, the worst thing for me was the copy and spelling and grammar "

Wordpress isn't too bad - I did mine on it, but yes very time consuming and I'm not convinced I've gone a good job with it. I'd pay a professional and a copywriter if funds permitted.

By *niquemale17Man  over a year ago

Swindon

If you use WordPress there's a plugin called woocomnerce it's pretty easy to use

"

Wordpress isn't too bad - I did mine on it, but yes very time consuming and I'm not convinced I've gone a good job with it. I'd pay a professional and a copywriter if funds permitted. "

Don't need a copywriter these days, use chatGPT for your copy needs

"

Wordpress isn't too bad - I did mine on it, but yes very time consuming and I'm not convinced I've gone a good job with it. I'd pay a professional and a copywriter if funds permitted.

Don't need a copywriter these days, use chatGPT for your copy needs"

No thank you

That’s extortionate you can do it yourself follow on YouTube I done it an do really well from it and it’s very basic x

» Add a new message to this topic