FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > National alert tomorrow

National alert tomorrow

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *oungAtHeartCurvyCouple OP   Couple  over a year ago

Glasgow

What the hell is it all about? Anyone think there's a hidden agenda behind it?

Reply privately (closed, thread got too big)

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

I don't personally think there is a hidden agenda. In this day and age with the internet there should be a system like this..There has been the 4 minute warning system for decades, with equipment in place to sound alarms.

By *ichaelangelaCouple  over a year ago

notts

It’s just an updated version of the air raid sirens in WW2

By *naswingdressWoman  over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

I think those who think there's a hidden agenda are hilarious

By *ora the explorerWoman  over a year ago

Paradise, Herts

Nope

No tin hat theories here.

Turned mine off because I'll forget and jump out of my skin.

By *pen2UMan  over a year ago

Telford

"I don't personally think there is a hidden agenda. In this day and age with the internet there should be a system like this..There has been the 4 minute warning system for decades, with equipment in place to sound alarms.

"

I mean there is a potential attack on the UK from Russia as Russian spy ships have been seen around the seas around the UK, alas, the UK are failing in the preperation for it. (So I've read anyway?)

So yeah, I think the alarm test has a hidden agenda to a possible further more severe warning

By *iscean_dreamMan  over a year ago

Llanelli

It's just to warn us to hide when Putin sends nukes, nothing to worry about

By *andyfloss2000Woman  over a year ago

ashford

It's a good idea no hidden agenda! And to go into yr settings to disable it what's that all about? It's just a little alarm u swipe away! x

"It's just to warn us to hide when Putin sends nukes, nothing to worry about "

Read that as nudes

Llanelli

"It's just to warn us to hide when Putin sends nukes, nothing to worry about

Read that as nudes "

I'd rather he sent nukes than nudes

By *ichaelangelaCouple  over a year ago

notts

"It’s just an updated version of the air raid sirens in WW2"

And the more recent flood alert sirens installed in high risk areas

By *amelaXTV/TS  over a year ago

Swindon

"What the hell is it all about? Anyone think there's a hidden agenda behind it?"

There is definitely a hidden agenda behind all this.

I've deactivated my alerts, and would recommend the same to everyone else.

Jeez you're a suspicious bunch.

"Jeez you're a suspicious bunch.

"

It's those sneaky alerts (that you can turn off if you so wish), it'll do that to you

Read that as nudes "

Me too, I’d prefer nukes

By *inky_couple2020Couple  over a year ago

North West

"

We can't go on together, with suspicious minds...

Why does there have to be a hidden agenda? Weird.

Glasgow

Just curious as to why now?

North West

"Just curious as to why now? "

Why not? Is there a day that's more convenient?

"Just curious as to why now?

Why not? Is there a day that's more convenient? "

Week on Tuesday's good for me.

By *ou only live onceMan  over a year ago

London

St George's Day! And you're telling me it's just a coincidence?

Glasgow

There's always a smart ass lol

Is this only happening in Britain or is it worldwide?

St George's Day! And you're telling me it's just a coincidence? "

Do do do do do do do do....(in my head it's the right tune ok)

North West

Is this only happening in Britain or is it worldwide?"

Do you think that the UK Govt would broadcast a test alert to another nation's population?

Being serious for a minute, why not read about it. Gov.uk has information about it and you'll find news articles from 2018/19, explaining that the system would be introduced soon. It was delayed by the COVID pandemic impact.

Glasgow

Do you think that the UK Govt would broadcast a test alert to another nation's population?

Being serious for a minute, why not read about it. Gov.uk has information about it and you'll find news articles from 2018/19, explaining that the system would be introduced soon. It was delayed by the COVID pandemic impact. "

I don't listen to the news or politics I want to sleep at night and not worry about things I have no control over and was just curious about what all this was about

North West

Being serious for a minute, why not read about it. Gov.uk has information about it and you'll find news articles from 2018/19, explaining that the system would be introduced soon. It was delayed by the COVID pandemic impact.

I don't listen to the news or politics I want to sleep at night and not worry about things I have no control over and was just curious about what all this was about "

So, you wouldn't like a text alert if, for example, the river nearby has burst its banks and it'd be the difference between living and dying to remain at home? I know I'd like the opportunity to choose whether to drown in my bungalow or attempt to get to higher ground. The "old" method of broadcasting alerts on BBC radio is a bit pointless when lots of households no longer own a radio.

By *wisted999Man  over a year ago

North Bucks

So they have the means to contact you anyway.

But the fact They are going to use those means is the issue.

Ok.

Glasgow

I don't listen to the news or politics I want to sleep at night and not worry about things I have no control over and was just curious about what all this was about

So, you wouldn't like a text alert if, for example, the river nearby has burst its banks and it'd be the difference between living and dying to remain at home? I know I'd like the opportunity to choose whether to drown in my bungalow or attempt to get to higher ground. The "old" method of broadcasting alerts on BBC radio is a bit pointless when lots of households no longer own a radio. "

Of course I would want an alert if things like that happens I've been a bit dumb and nieve and thought this was all to do with what's going in Russia and not realising it's about natural disasters etc too x

By *ellinever70Woman  over a year ago

Ayrshire

"

I don't listen to the news or politics "

Now might be a good time to start

By *alandNitaCouple  over a year ago

Scunthorpe

So, you wouldn't like a text alert if, for example, the river nearby has burst its banks and it'd be the difference between living and dying to remain at home? I know I'd like the opportunity to choose whether to drown in my bungalow or attempt to get to higher ground. The "old" method of broadcasting alerts on BBC radio is a bit pointless when lots of households no longer own a radio. "

After our local area suffered a number of major floods, I can certainly see the benefits of this system. I have many friends who were flooded out of their homes when the Trent & Humber Estuary came over their banks, fields full of sheep were washed away, The nearby Rugby Cement works is unrecoverable, and lives were lost.

Cal

By *ittleMissCaliWoman  over a year ago

trouble most likely, or creating it :)

"What the hell is it all about? Anyone think there's a hidden agenda behind it?"

No hidden agenda. Mostly for things like floods or fires

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-65177316.amp

North West

So, you wouldn't like a text alert if, for example, the river nearby has burst its banks and it'd be the difference between living and dying to remain at home? I know I'd like the opportunity to choose whether to drown in my bungalow or attempt to get to higher ground. The "old" method of broadcasting alerts on BBC radio is a bit pointless when lots of households no longer own a radio.

Of course I would want an alert if things like that happens I've been a bit dumb and nieve and thought this was all to do with what's going in Russia and not realising it's about natural disasters etc too x"

If Russia launches a nuke at us, there's no point the Govt sending a text alert.

"Dear Citizen,

It's been nice taxing you. This will be the last thing you read before you are obliterated. Try not to cry "

The whole reason that the text alerts have been developed is for natural disasters, just like many other countries have developed similar systems. Using texts means alerts can be focused to smaller localities by using transmitter masts as the coverage zone (rather than whole-nation or region news bulletins) and let's face it, a greater % of the population own a mobile phone than own a TV capable of watching live telly and/or a radio.

By *erence IIMan  over a year ago

Irrelevant

The hidden agenda lot are frankly hilarious. To believe them you need to simultaneously believe that the government is somehow capable of hacking everyone's phone using a piece of software cunningly hidden in a signal that has been widely announced so anyone and everyone can record and analyse it, while at the same time believe they're incapable off doing this discreetly and have to invent a massive lie to cover it up.

After events like the 7/7 bombing and Manchester Arena, one of the complaints was the lack of ability to warn people. The government do something about this and we invent reasons to whinge.

By *otSoPoshWoman  over a year ago

In a ball gown because that's how we roll in N. Devon

"

"Dear Citizen,

It's been nice taxing you. This will be the last thing you read before you are obliterated. Try not to cry "

"

I hope to all that is good and right that this is the message.

Oh no the government are sending an alert to my phone. Next they’ll be taking our children

"The hidden agenda lot are frankly hilarious. To believe them you need to simultaneously believe that the government is somehow capable of hacking everyone's phone using a piece of software cunningly hidden in a signal that has been widely announced so anyone and everyone can record and analyse it, while at the same time believe they're incapable off doing this discreetly and have to invent a massive lie to cover it up.

After events like the 7/7 bombing and Manchester Arena, one of the complaints was the lack of ability to warn people. The government do something about this and we invent reasons to whinge. "

The same government that couldn’t even hide a lockdown party. My mate dangerous Dave had one every Saturday night and didn’t even get caught and he’s an idiot.

I have tin foil hats for sale

"I have tin foil hats for sale "

Do they stop 5G?

Scunthorpe

"Oh no the government are sending an alert to my phone. Next they’ll be taking our children "

To Disney Land?

"Oh no the government are sending an alert to my phone. Next they’ll be taking our children

To Disney Land?"

They’ll have to shake that magic money tree first. Disneyland is bloody expensive.

"I have tin foil hats for sale

Do they stop 5G?"

And 6G

"I have tin foil hats for sale

Do they stop 5G?

And 6G"

Marty McFly?

By *agneto.Man  over a year ago

Bham

Read that as nudes

Me too, I’d prefer nukes "

I now really want a photo of me naked on a horse like that topless Putin pic that I could then attach to every opening message.

People would most likely think it was code for bareback though

By *ucka39Man  over a year ago

Newcastle

Nope because when you go through the list it has other emergencies like notifying when a child has gone missing, tornado warning forest fires these apply more in a lot of other countries and their devices might supply further information or the warning itself might I have never clicked to find out all mine have always been switched off

By *ust RachelTV/TS  over a year ago

Horsham

"Nope because when you go through the list it has other emergencies like notifying when a child has gone missing, tornado warning forest fires these apply more in a lot of other countries and their devices might supply further information or the warning itself might I have never clicked to find out all mine have always been switched off "

I am sure we had a few forest and wild fires in this country last year, so in some areas this is handy.

Newcastle

"Nope because when you go through the list it has other emergencies like notifying when a child has gone missing, tornado warning forest fires these apply more in a lot of other countries and their devices might supply further information or the warning itself might I have never clicked to find out all mine have always been switched off

I am sure we had a few forest and wild fires in this country last year, so in some areas this is handy."

Yes we did and is very useful in many ways people go missing too. Not everyone could be sitting in front of the television yet everyone has a mobile device

By *icecouple561Couple  over a year ago
Forum Mod

East Sussex

When I was a kid they regularly tested the air raid sirens, we could also hear the fog horn on foggy nights. I just think it's a modern day version of these things.

By *ophieslutTV/TS  over a year ago

Central

It's just another tool, to help users filter out the incompatible. Preferences rule

Newcastle

"It's just another tool, to help users filter out the incompatible. Preferences rule "

Synchronise your watch

By *ikesEmBigMan  over a year ago

Herts

Who cares

Newcastle

It's no different from receiving on from the power grid notifying a possible power cut so it's useful

By *emorefridaCouple  over a year ago

La la land

Hidden agenda? Seriously it's the least stealthiest secret in the UK.

By *annyDanielleMan  over a year ago

Street, Somerset

"

After all the bollocks we were fed over covid is it that surprising that people are becoming increasingly sceptical of everything the government does or says in matters like this?

Manchester (she/her)

"Hidden agenda? Seriously it's the least stealthiest secret in the UK.

"

But the thing is, there's a cosmic law that you need to tell people what's happening so they can consent.

Therefore this plus some movie that someone thinks is proof of a nefarious plot spells doom because... Fucked if I know

After all the bollocks we were fed over covid is it that surprising that people are becoming increasingly sceptical of everything the government does or says in matters like this? "

It's an alert on your phone dude.

I don't think the government are particularly interested in following your every movement.

La la land

But the thing is, there's a cosmic law that you need to tell people what's happening so they can consent.

Therefore this plus some movie that someone thinks is proof of a nefarious plot spells doom because... Fucked if I know "

Don't worry all those who have opted out are now on a UK database of people who don't trust the government. They're the ones who need to be worried now

Manchester (she/her)

Therefore this plus some movie that someone thinks is proof of a nefarious plot spells doom because... Fucked if I know

Don't worry all those who have opted out are now on a UK database of people who don't trust the government. They're the ones who need to be worried now "

That sounds more plausible than there being a cosmic consent to doom in Toy Story

By *appycouple300Couple  over a year ago

North Dorset

Don’t be daft. Bloody conspiracy theorists.

Street, Somerset

After all the bollocks we were fed over covid is it that surprising that people are becoming increasingly sceptical of everything the government does or says in matters like this?

I don't think the government are particularly interested in following your every movement. "

I see it as a pointless intrusion. I don't believe it's anything nefarious.

I've turned off emergency alerts in my settings. Reality is that weather etc will be picked up long before I get an alert on my phone.

If we are all about to die with no escape then I don't want to spend my last moments in a panic either

Forum Mod

East Sussex

After all the bollocks we were fed over covid is it that surprising that people are becoming increasingly sceptical of everything the government does or says in matters like this? "

I'm suspicious of everything the govt says and does because they've actually proved themselves to be untrustworthy. As far as this alert goes I don't think there's a hidden agenda,if the powers that be wanted access to our phones they'd already have it...it wasn't that difficult for newspapers to gain access to them.

I don't think the government are particularly interested in following your every movement.

I see it as a pointless intrusion. I don't believe it's anything nefarious. "

Do you think a text from Domino’s on Two for Tuesday is an intrusion?

By *eFCUKaLotCouple  over a year ago

somewhere close

I don’t live near a river, I’m not on a flood plain, no known fault lines where I live & the last time I checked there wasn’t any volcanos near me. I’m pretty sure if anything serious did happen near me I’ll know about it because it’ll be on breaking news.

My problem with it is that it will warn you in the middle of the night about something that won’t affect you at all. Also what about the people that don’t have mobile phones, how are they meant to know that an emergency is happening?

Street, Somerset

"I've turned off emergency alerts in my settings. Reality is that weather etc will be picked up long before I get an alert on my phone.

If we are all about to die with no escape then I don't want to spend my last moments in a panic either "

If it's a warning of nuclear attack what exactly can you do in four minutes anyway, apart from maybe knock one out? Caught with your pants down.

Street, Somerset

Do you think a text from Domino’s on Two for Tuesday is an intrusion?"

Yes, i do.

Forum Mod

East Sussex

Do you think a text from Domino’s on Two for Tuesday is an intrusion?"

I do actually. I get occasional textd from a nearby restaurant about deals. If I block and report the number the next text comes from a different one.

Yes, i do."

Honestly mate, I'd just throw your phone away.

They're already watching you....

Yes, i do."

Your life must be pretty amazing if that’s all you have to worry about.

Manchester (she/her)

Yes, i do.

Honestly mate, I'd just throw your phone away.

They're already watching you.... "

Forum Mod

East Sussex

"I've turned off emergency alerts in my settings. Reality is that weather etc will be picked up long before I get an alert on my phone.

If we are all about to die with no escape then I don't want to spend my last moments in a panic either

If it's a warning of nuclear attack what exactly can you do in four minutes anyway, apart from maybe knock one out? Caught with your pants down. "

, that most relaxing of atmospheres...imminent nuclear annihilation

I do actually. I get occasional textd from a nearby restaurant about deals. If I block and report the number the next text comes from a different one. "

I’m sure you just text STOP and they remove you from their database.

By *idnight RamblerMan  over a year ago

Pershore

It seems sensible to have a tested method by which everybody could be contacted quickly in a national emergency.

Scunthorpe

I don’t live near a river, I’m not on a flood plain, no known fault lines where I live & the last time I checked there wasn’t any volcanos near me. I’m pretty sure if anything serious did happen near me I’ll know about it because it’ll be on breaking news.

My problem with it is that it will warn you in the middle of the night about something that won’t affect you at all. Also what about the people that don’t have mobile phones, how are they meant to know that an emergency is happening? "

The system is using Push Messages from local Towers. This at the very least ensures that it can be localised to areas covered by certain Network "Towers". That is much more accurate than most information given.

To those who turned off the alert, just double check. I turned the alert off, went to check and another alert had been added

Forum Mod

East Sussex

I do actually. I get occasional textd from a nearby restaurant about deals. If I block and report the number the next text comes from a different one.

I’m sure you just text STOP and they remove you from their database."

Nope, tried it. I just block and delete and get along with my life

Getting ready for ww3, brace yourselfs

Forum Mod

East Sussex

"Getting ready for ww3, brace yourselfs"

I was discussing this with my dad in all seriousness. He's convinced he's ready for war and has given me advice on what to do in an air raid. So I'm ok

By *eFCUKaLotCouple  over a year ago

somewhere close

"To those who turned off the alert, just double check. I turned the alert off, went to check and another alert had been added "

Is that on apple or android?

La la land

But more importantly I know it's going to go off, I'll be waiting for it to go off. And I know I'm still going to jump out of my skin when it does

"To those who turned off the alert, just double check. I turned the alert off, went to check and another alert had been added

Is that on apple or android? "

Android

By *teveanddebsCouple  over a year ago

Norwich

"Nope because when you go through the list it has other emergencies like notifying when a child has gone missing, tornado warning forest fires these apply more in a lot of other countries and their devices might supply further information or the warning itself might I have never clicked to find out all mine have always been switched off

I am sure we had a few forest and wild fires in this country last year, so in some areas this is handy."

And tornados, we've had lots of those.

I do remember a mini whirlwind in the 60s that uprooted my nans Lavender. She was devastated.

"Getting ready for ww3, brace yourselfs

I was discussing this with my dad in all seriousness. He's convinced he's ready for war and has given me advice on what to do in an air raid. So I'm ok "

Wonko has a bunker and unlimited Jaffa cakes.

Manchester (she/her)

"But more importantly I know it's going to go off, I'll be waiting for it to go off. And I know I'm still going to jump out of my skin when it does

"

Ditto!

By *teveanddebsCouple  over a year ago

Norwich

Seriously though, unless we have to confirm we got it what's the point of a 'test'

Forum Mod

East Sussex

"Getting ready for ww3, brace yourselfs

I was discussing this with my dad in all seriousness. He's convinced he's ready for war and has given me advice on what to do in an air raid. So I'm ok

Wonko has a bunker and unlimited Jaffa cakes. "

We're growing cabbage, keeping rabbits and chickens and hiding under the dining room table.

Newcastle

"To those who turned off the alert, just double check. I turned the alert off, went to check and another alert had been added "

Has it already went off mines switched off as for features it has many and think you can add as well

The UK is so far behind the rest of the world, and people here are ridiculously afraid of change.

Other countries have had SMS warnings for years - when I lived in the US and Thailand, they both had them and that was 10 years ago. It's really nothing to get excited about, or worried about. It's just a text message.

I was in Texas in December for a week, and I had 3 while I was there warning me about abductions locally (in a town on the Mexican border). Nothing else happened. Funny that.

Newcastle

"The UK is so far behind the rest of the world, and people here are ridiculously afraid of change.

Other countries have had SMS warnings for years - when I lived in the US and Thailand, they both had them and that was 10 years ago. It's really nothing to get excited about, or worried about. It's just a text message.

I was in Texas in December for a week, and I had 3 while I was there warning me about abductions locally (in a town on the Mexican border). Nothing else happened. Funny that."

Totally we're so far behind and it's nice to be prepared given past experiences it's not one of those it'll never happen to me best to be prepared than feel guilty

I'm in favour of it, not sure what 'hidden agenda' could be behind it but there are warnings re scammers sending links to be downloaded in the guise of an 'alert' so long as everyones aware that no action need be taken

By *imi_RougeWoman  over a year ago

Portsmouth

I've switched it off on my phone

Manchester (she/her)

"The UK is so far behind the rest of the world, and people here are ridiculously afraid of change.

I was in Texas in December for a week, and I had 3 while I was there warning me about abductions locally (in a town on the Mexican border). Nothing else happened. Funny that."

But if we let women on trains their wombs will fly away. And these vaccines will turn people into cows!

I was in Texas in December for a week, and I had 3 while I was there warning me about abductions locally (in a town on the Mexican border). Nothing else happened. Funny that.

But if we let women on trains their wombs will fly away. And these vaccines will turn people into cows!"

Your wombs are quite literally none of my business. If you choose to let them sprout wings & fly, then so be it.

You could probably also join a circus.

By *adyJayneWoman  over a year ago

Burnleyish (She/They)

Is this only happening in Britain or is it worldwide?"

Such alerts are common in Europe. When I was abroad a few years ago I actually got one... This is what it said:

"Extreme alert

PAGD at the Ministry of the Interior informs:,, Š. m. October 21-22 very windy weather is expected. Please take care of your safety and that of your loved ones."

Obviously that's the Google transaction as it came through in Lithuanian (it actually came through while I was in a car and the driver translated it for me when we got to our destination)

Forum Mod

East Sussex

Such alerts are common in Europe. When I was abroad a few years ago I actually got one... This is what it said:

"Extreme alert

PAGD at the Ministry of the Interior informs:,, Š. m. October 21-22 very windy weather is expected. Please take care of your safety and that of your loved ones."

Obviously that's the Google transaction as it came through in Lithuanian (it actually came through while I was in a car and the driver translated it for me when we got to our destination)

"

We got an alert when we were in Europe a few years ago for extreme weather. A couple were killed and a lot of people lost their homes despite being prepared, it would have been far worse had they not been

Burnleyish (She/They)

"Seriously though, unless we have to confirm we got it what's the point of a 'test'"

I could go into a technical description of how it works but I am aware I can over nerd out on things.

Simply put it's essentially a blast signal to anyone connected to a cell tower. As long as they have some people reporting back it was received then they know it works.

I got a alert for severe weather yesterday afternoon. It helps you stay vigilant.

Newcastle

We've had terrorist attacks, floods, strong winds, climate has changed loads so why not be prepared

By *ornucopiaMan  over a year ago

Bexley

Being of an enquiring technical mind, I am going to switch on at least two old phones, one with no SIM card and another with an expired one, to see if they can receive the alert.

I am basing this on the widely held notion that it is possible to make emergency calls from any phone without needing a network provider. if this is true, it stands to reason that a path to the phone must exist, regardless. Hard to believe but let's see.

The alert will give you enough notice to oil up, slip on your shades and enjoy the biggest mushroom you'll ever see.

Burnleyish (She/They)

"Being of an enquiring technical mind, I am going to switch on at least two old phones, one with no SIM card and another with an expired one, to see if they can receive the alert.

I am basing this on the widely held notion that it is possible to make emergency calls from any phone without needing a network provider. if this is true, it stands to reason that a path to the phone must exist, regardless. Hard to believe but let's see."

In theory yes, but the exact particulars aren't quite clear (and mobile telecoms aren't my area of expertise) But it depends on if those phones are 4/5G compatible and using those networks to make the emergency call.

If they only connect via 3G to make the emergency call then I'd say it's not likely to happen given the information available.

Related. In the UK a mobile has to have a sim to make an emergency call, the ability to call without one was removed because of too many hoax untraceable calls

By *ingle ex cuckMan  over a year ago

chester

With trying to scare anyone

We are in a current situation where the nuclear war threat has never been so great .

This is the 1st step of a warning.

If Russia dropped something into the channel it would flood London and a gas mask would be useless however a mask would help with certain types of fall out.

Hence the message on our phones.

North West

"With trying to scare anyone

We are in a current situation where the nuclear war threat has never been so great .

If Russia dropped something into the channel it would flood London and a gas mask would be useless however a mask would help with certain types of fall out.

Hence the message on our phones."

Do you have a gas mask? Alas, we do not, so the text is useless to us. We have a ball gag, but we'd have to roll a die to see who gets to use it.....

Manchester (she/her)

I only have FFP3s. I suspect I'm fucked

By *iking 777Man  over a year ago

Kirkwall

Would it not be cool if a 3 the mobile came out with this is the voice of the mysterons

Newcastle

"Being of an enquiring technical mind, I am going to switch on at least two old phones, one with no SIM card and another with an expired one, to see if they can receive the alert.

I am basing this on the widely held notion that it is possible to make emergency calls from any phone without needing a network provider. if this is true, it stands to reason that a path to the phone must exist, regardless. Hard to believe but let's see."

It's true if you use an old sim that is not active can still make emergency calls just the same as you can add additional numbers if no credit in case of any emergencies

Forum Mod

East Sussex

So similar to air raid warnings in WW 2

But if we let women on trains their wombs will fly away. And these vaccines will turn people into cows!"

You are quite correct re wombs, when trains were first invented women were not allowed on them because it was thought their Uteruses would fall out ..

North West

But if we let women on trains their wombs will fly away. And these vaccines will turn people into cows!

You are quite correct re wombs, when trains were first invented women were not allowed on them because it was thought their Uteruses would fall out .."

Maybe my uterus is falling out because I've travelled on trains

Bexley

Perhaps they want to find out if the infrastructure can cope with everyone phoning all and sundry immediately afterwards to ask whether they got the warning.

Hitherto, the biggest load on the system must have been New Year messages, or when the Queen died.

Bexley

Consider also, the potential for chaos it could cause on the roads with every driver being distracted simultaneously during this practice session - leave alone in a genuine nuclear attack scenario.

"

Well any software installed on a device that I have with me permanently that also listens to everything, which installed itself and isnt removable nor can you change its access rights doesn't sit well with me.

Bexley

Well any software installed on a device that I have with me permanently that also listens to everything, which installed itself and isnt removable nor can you change its access rights doesn't sit well with me."

That's why my naughty phone and my hospital phone are pre- smartphone technology. talk and text only. My hospital phone is also deliberately old technology because the battery lasts weeks!

Newcastle

Well any software installed on a device that I have with me permanently that also listens to everything, which installed itself and isnt removable nor can you change its access rights doesn't sit well with me.

That's why my naughty phone and my hospital phone are pre- smartphone technology. talk and text only. My hospital phone is also deliberately old technology because the battery lasts weeks!"

The battery also lasts longer if other things aren't using the battery in the background

Bexley

That's why my naughty phone and my hospital phone are pre- smartphone technology. talk and text only. My hospital phone is also deliberately old technology because the battery lasts weeks!

The battery also lasts longer if other things aren't using the battery in the background "

There ain't anything else using the battery in the background on an old blue and white Nokia. There is no background, other than waiting for nuclear war alerts!

"I've switched it off on my phone"

You've only actually managed to turn the alert off - the software itself still has access to your cellular connection and of more concern - any nearby device (I'd assume via Bluetooth)

Newcastle

The battery also lasts longer if other things aren't using the battery in the background

There ain't anything else using the battery in the background on an old blue and white Nokia. There is no background, other than waiting for nuclear war alerts!"

Oh the vintage ones were straight forward

Bexley

I'm now up to 10 phones in different configurations all waiting ready!

For anyone who hasn't yet realised, I can't throw things away!

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman  over a year ago

King's Crustacean

Yep. I actually think they've got a fucking cheek interfering with MY phone and MY phone line and I feel pretty powerless about it.

On the other hand it might serve a purpose one day but to be honest I feel more controlled by the day ......

I've just turned my phone off

By *ad NannaWoman  over a year ago

East London

It's bloody early

By *atricia ParnelWoman  over a year ago

In a town full of colours

By *otSoPoshWoman  over a year ago

In a ball gown because that's how we roll in N. Devon

That was anticlimactic

By *agerMorganMan  over a year ago

Canvey Island

1 minute early. Ah well, better early than late

By *iking 777Man  over a year ago

Kirkwall

That was early

By *oan of DArcCouple  over a year ago

Glasgow

"It's bloody early "

Thats what I thought!

Run for the hills.

By *luebell888Woman  over a year ago

Glasgowish

I would be well pissed off if I had been sleeping after a nightshift. Wasn't as loud as I expected though.x

Fright of my life whilst sitting atop the thinking throne hahaha

I logged into fab and it went off... made me jump!

East London

""

I'm heading for high ground with my kayak.

Llanelli

I knew it was coming and it still suprised me just now

By *drian HardthrobMan  over a year ago

Worcester

We're all going to die!

East London

I know people who would sleep through that.

By *aribbean King 1985Man  over a year ago

South West London

I got the alert a few minutes ago

By *ynecplCouple  over a year ago

Newcastle upon Tyne

Well I was busy ironing and thought the iron was about to blow up. Luckily Alexis remembered it was the national alarm.

By *amantha TSWoman  over a year ago

Swindon

Was that it? I was hoping for so much more....

(Not specific to this thread, just something I say on Fab a lot x)

It was 30 seconds early, they said 3pm it came at 2.59.31 seconds

Bexley

Only my O2 phone got it and that was a minute early...

Two other active phones, nothing. All the ones with expired SIMs nothing.

Anyone go to a supermarket to witness multiple distraction?

By *tsalwaysthequietonesCouple  over a year ago

Lancs

I didn't get one

But my 5 year olds (whos mega sensitive to loud noises) tablet did and totally freaked out even though we knew it was coming.

Edit, mine just went off at 3.08

Forum Mod

East Sussex

"We're all going to die!"

You're not wrong there

By *ealitybitesMan  over a year ago

Belfast

"It was 30 seconds early, they said 3pm it came at 2.59.31 seconds "

You can't say you weren't warned. You should have been standing at the door of the panic room ready to go.

"It was 30 seconds early, they said 3pm it came at 2.59.31 seconds

You can't say you weren't warned. You should have been standing at the door of the panic room ready to go. "

No, I would of been ready at 3.00pm I was not ready at 2:59.31 seconds....I was staring at my phone like a knobhead and it was a good job really as well

Newcastle

I didn't receive anything I guess I got sacrificed

Manchester (she/her)

Mine was two minutes early. The nanoparticle microchips installed by Bill Gates exploded and I died. I'm posting hoping someone comes to recover my corpse

Bexley

I'm beginning to suspect it is a 4G and above facility.

Anyone know?

By *olly_chromaticTV/TS  over a year ago

Stockport

Fuck me, was that it? How many billions given to ministers mates did that cost then?

Manchester (she/her)

"Fuck me, was that it? How many billions given to ministers mates did that cost then?"

While everyone has been worrying about the lizard people, the corruption rolls on uninterrupted.

That's the real agenda: distract people with bullshit (facilitated from school level - reduction in standards) and run off with public money.

Scunthorpe

"I'm beginning to suspect it is a 4G and above facility.

Anyone know?"

Yes, that's on the info under reasons why it might not work.

Scunthorpe

"Mine was two minutes early. The nanoparticle microchips installed by Bill Gates exploded and I died. I'm posting hoping someone comes to recover my corpse "

If it's still warm, we can use it

By *iamondsmiles.Woman  over a year ago

little house on the praire

"Only my O2 phone got it and that was a minute early...

Anyone go to a supermarket to witness multiple distraction?"

Yes I did. Was fun to watch

Manchester (she/her)

"Mine was two minutes early. The nanoparticle microchips installed by Bill Gates exploded and I died. I'm posting hoping someone comes to recover my corpse

If it's still warm, we can use it "

I have holes - pulse optional, as per

London

"Mine was two minutes early. The nanoparticle microchips installed by Bill Gates exploded and I died. I'm posting hoping someone comes to recover my corpse "

It was nice knowing you. But, you know, there will always be some sacrifices in the name of progress.

Bexley

Anyone go to a supermarket to witness multiple distraction?Yes I did. Was fun to watch"

I was thinking it could have provided a good chat up opportunity, having pulled at least twice before on the back of chance conversations.

Manchester (she/her)

"Mine was two minutes early. The nanoparticle microchips installed by Bill Gates exploded and I died. I'm posting hoping someone comes to recover my corpse

It was nice knowing you. But, you know, there will always be some sacrifices in the name of progress."

I'm glad to have been of service.

I hope my body is discovered before I begin to smell.

By *ife NinjaMan  over a year ago

Dunfermline

Never got it. Presumably unworthy

By *ovetoedgeMan  over a year ago

Dunstable

"Never got it. Presumably unworthy "

Likewise, hope it wasn't real!

London

It was nice knowing you. But, you know, there will always be some sacrifices in the name of progress.

I hope my body is discovered before I begin to smell."

You're fine. A special product in the Gates Particles was developed to ensure all the bodies didn't smell, so as not to arouse suspicion in those chosen to survive.

Manchester (she/her)

You're fine. A special product in the Gates Particles was developed to ensure all the bodies didn't smell, so as not to arouse suspicion in those chosen to survive."

I'm glad I won't be an inconvenience to the Bwave Twoo Twufe Tellers

By *andycandy88Woman  over a year ago

Northolt

Its stupid

Not interested in it, when we want anything done we do it ourselves what alert could they think to send that will automatically make me feel a sigh of relief

They take faster than give which is why its best to not give an F about it have a blessed Sunday

By *andycandy88Woman  over a year ago

Northolt

I meant not

London

You're fine. A special product in the Gates Particles was developed to ensure all the bodies didn't smell, so as not to arouse suspicion in those chosen to survive.

I'm glad I won't be an inconvenience to the Bwave Twoo Twufe Tellers"

We will not forget your sacrifice.

Manchester (she/her)

We will not forget your sacrifice."

I am a paragon of virtue

London

I am a paragon of virtue "

I proclaim that 23 April will now be known as St Swing's Day

Manchester (she/her)

I am a paragon of virtue

I proclaim that 23 April will now be known as St Swing's Day "

North West

Anyone go to a supermarket to witness multiple distraction?"

We were in Sainsbury's at the time. It was spectacularly underwhelming and everyone just carried on shopping, after swiping away the alert.

By *andyfloss2000Woman  over a year ago

ashford

So disappointed I didn't get one apparantly smarty didn't get them! Was on a coach of 30 odd and every one got it at different time! Bloke behind got 3 greedy bustard!

Well mine went off despite it being disabled

By *adbod2godbodMan  over a year ago

Manchester

Didn't get it, probably because I've got a knock off Chinese phone and my communism loving overlords deemed it unwise to warn me of any forth coming terror as I might go all John wick/bloke from 24 or ash Williams on their ass.

But probably just didn't get it

Bexley

It can safely be described as the 'non event of the year'.

The only one of my vast array of phones, which I switched on for the occasion, to receive it was one with a 4G O2 connection.

Manchester (she/her)

"It can safely be described as the 'non event of the year'.

The only one of my vast array of phones, which I switched on for the occasion, to receive it was one with a 4G O2 connection."

I'm imagining a symphony of phones

Bexley

"It can safely be described as the 'non event of the year'.

The only one of my vast array of phones, which I switched on for the occasion, to receive it was one with a 4G O2 connection.

I'm imagining a symphony of phones "

If they'd all gone off at once it could have sounded like Stockhausen.

However some were on test to see if they would receive with non current SIM cards. At least it proved they wouldn't, or,would they still not have even if the cards had been ok?

I will never know because I won't bother another time.

By *agneto.Man  over a year ago

Bham

"So disappointed I didn't get one apparantly smarty didn't get them! Was on a coach of 30 odd and every one got it at different time! Bloke behind got 3 greedy bustard!"

I got one. 3:07. Probably would have already been dead by that time but got one.

By *oubleswing2019Man  over a year ago

Colchester

2.59 pm ours went off.

So a minute early.

I can get the alert arriving late, as call tower congestion could delay it even if was sent at 3pm. But arriving at 2.59 pm just tells me that someone was tardy with their timekeeping.

I'm still waiting

Guess I'm not worth saving

By *nasuitMan  over a year ago

Ruislip

Apparently Three would rather all their customers die

By *iamondsmiles.Woman  over a year ago

little house on the praire

Not sure what time mine went off as I was in tesco and left my phone at home but I had a text when I got back

By *avinaTVTV/TS  over a year ago

Transsexual Transylvania

Someone forgot to turn off their phone at the film we were watching. The national alert wasn't too loud, fortunately.