FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > People's attitudes to people

People's attitudes to people

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

There is a bit of a resurgance in the 'men be like' and 'women be like' threads. It's exasperating.

Am I naive in trying to see the world in terms of people? Just that? Not women, men, black, brown, penis lovers, vagina lovers etc etc.?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *naswingdressWoman  over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

People? How divisive!

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Vagina lover present and accounted for

By *a LunaWoman  over a year ago

South

I love cock. And I tell you what Jennie, NOTHING will ever change that!

By *icecouple561Couple  over a year ago
Forum Mod

East Sussex

I don't think you're naive at all.

An idealist maybe? This is how I try to see people, just as that, people/humans/mammals.

I try not to put people into categories as I think it's leads to narrow ideas.

By *eliWoman  over a year ago

Why would that be naive?

By *ou only live onceMan  over a year ago

London

People, Jenny? That's so cute. I don't think these kind of fringe ideas get the traction they deserve.

By *andycandy88Woman  over a year ago

Northolt

If a person speaks about what they have experienced, why would it offend those here who haven't done anything to the person posting their experiences in society so far?

By *ittlebirdWoman  over a year ago

The Big Smoke

I don’t think it’s being naive at all

It’s not naive at all.

Taking someone by face value and getting to know them as an individual seems to be a thing of the past.

Oh God, I sounds so old.

By *adyJayneWoman  over a year ago

Burnleyish (She/They)

"There is a bit of a resurgance in the 'men be like' and 'women be like' threads. It's exasperating.

Am I naive in trying to see the world in terms of people? Just that? Not women, men, black, brown, penis lovers, vagina lovers etc etc.?"

While I'd love to be able to say you're not naive and that's how we should see the world I've been doing some learning and personal growth and realised that often when we say we just want to see people, what that often means is that we don't want to see inequality that arrises from being in a minority group.

We are all human and should all treat people with the same respect and courtesy as we would want.

Sadly some people get bogged down by other things.

By *rder66Man  over a year ago

Tatooine

"There is a bit of a resurgance in the 'men be like' and 'women be like' threads. It's exasperating.

Am I naive in trying to see the world in terms of people? Just that? Not women, men, black, brown, penis lovers, vagina lovers etc etc.?"

I agree 100%

It's not something that will ever end unfortunately

I like this thread. This is a good thread. There should be more threads like this. But not only like this. Cause that undermines the thread.

Northolt

"If a person speaks about what they have experienced, why would it offend those here who haven't done anything to the person posting their experiences in society so far?"

A reply from someone active on the thread please

Why is a generalised statement taken personally if you haven't done anything to a person?

By *4bimMan  over a year ago

Farnborough Hampshire

Best not to entertain them.

Once the mind is closed its best to leave them with their own thoughts.

By *red333Man  over a year ago

Dorchester

Well you're on the fence albeit a feathered edge one

No, not nieve at all. People are people, some are lovely, some are arseholes.

Pxx

Northolt

"Best not to entertain them.

Once the mind is closed its best to leave them with their own thoughts."

Would you consider one person's thoughts on something as them being closed minded?

Northolt

"No, not nieve at all. People are people, some are lovely, some are arseholes.

Pxx"

that's right and sadly the one thing a person does which one or a few finds offensive they'll view them as an asshole over that one thing

It amazes me considering people shout all day long no one is perfect

No. I show everyone the same respect they show me regardless of who they are.

By *isfits behaving badlyCouple  over a year ago

Coventry

I think this it's not surprising when a huge proportion of the population identify as male or female and in gerneral there are prominent differences societal attitudes and norms between men and women. Yes we are all individuals and many of us with a huge spectrum of opinions, behaviours, outlooks, history, heritage and genders etc. But for most they just talk about things that are generally specific their identity, their own reality and how they experience the world. And obviously for the vast majority of people this is similar and they recognise the same things.

Personally I get what your saying. I like to take people individually as I find them without preconceptions. And some of this men be like and women be like stuff is BS and toxic to society. For example I find that new Meghan Trainor song Mother a bit toxic and reinforcing negative stereotypes about men and encouraging toxic attitudes towards men (but also annoyingly catchy). However we have to also be nuanced enough to understand there are prevalent trends, attitudes, experiences and behaviour in society regarding the traditional sex divide. Simply the traditional male experience is different from the traditional female experience. So although I don't think you should say all men be like and all women be like you can talk in terms of things that can generally be identified in the male and female population and experience.

I think there is also a tendency to get you back up when people talk about your sex negatively in a way you don't identity with. I get when people say be be like this, but I thinking I'm nothing like this. However then you have to remember the world doesn't revolve around you or is about you. Then you can take yourself out of the equation as an individual and look to see if the point being made about the general male population is valid or not. An observation of general trends is not an attack on you or makes you less valid as an individual.

So to me to just say we are all individual and there is no prevalent general differences between the sexes is just a inaccurate and disingenuous as to say all men and women be like this. I think our understanding of society needs to both understand prevalent trends/attitudes between the vast majority of men and women while also recognising the individual and huge spectrum of differences in or society. What most important is to give credit to stuff being said that has validity and to ignore the stuff that just rubbish.

Mr

By *inky_couple2020Couple  over a year ago

North West

Am I naive in trying to see the world in terms of people? Just that? Not women, men, black, brown, penis lovers, vagina lovers etc etc.?

While I'd love to be able to say you're not naive and that's how we should see the world I've been doing some learning and personal growth and realised that often when we say we just want to see people, what that often means is that we don't want to see inequality that arrises from being in a minority group.

"

I both agree and disagree with this but can't verbalise exactly my feelings. But yes. And no. Sorry if that's confusing

Example. I use a wheelchair. I'm in the "minority" of being disabled. But I don't want being a wheelchair user to be the first thing that people see and act upon, when they meet me. Yes, we'll need to be sure we meet in a wheelchair accessible space etc, BUT what a lot of people do is make assumptions based on stereotypes or ignorance, and try to impose their version of "help" upon me. Which is annoying.

What I'm trying to explain is I don't want to be viewed as a white, disabled female. I want to be viewed as a human being and for people to find out my specific needs and wants before acting upon anything.

Does that make any sense at all?!

Northolt

"No. I show everyone the same respect they show me regardless of who they are. "

So you wouldn't make a general statement seemed personal at you?

By *ose-tinted GlassesMan  over a year ago

Glasgow

People are great. But they’re also crap. We contain multitudes.

Generalisations can be a useful tool for talking about stuff. I guess we just always need to keep in mind that they’re just that - generalisations. And try not to overuse them. Or believe they’re some sort of concrete truth when they ain’t.

"If a person speaks about what they have experienced, why would it offend those here who haven't done anything to the person posting their experiences in society so far?"

Northolt

"People are great. But they’re also crap. We contain multitudes.

Generalisations can be a useful tool for talking about stuff. I guess we just always need to keep in mind that they’re just that - generalisations. And try not to overuse them. Or believe they’re some sort of concrete truth when they ain’t.

"

Precisely if a person speaks from their experience that is their experience we all have our own journey in life even if we are in the same place at once at a time.

There would have been times where a person did their journey and path before we met each other on the fab forums

I wouldn't frown on anyone here unless they constantly show their negative, they can never try uplift another soul here or try get involved in the fun and games that goes on in the forums too

Its not all negative in the forums even if the negative overshadows the good on here

By *ts the taking part thatMan  over a year ago

southampton

[Removed by poster at 21/04/23 12:20:39]

By *ts the taking part thatMan  over a year ago

southampton

Yea Naive or have an Agenda?

» Add a new message to this topic