FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Home security systems

Home security systems

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *ools and the brain OP   Couple  over a year ago

couple, us we him her.

Right off the bat I'm not talking about weird shit.

Looking for recommendations for a system that allows me to monitor my home when we are at work or out.

Without spending a small fortune.

Google searches just come up with endless ads.

Ring and the like are too common and likely to be easier to hack.

I purchased blink cameras for front door and back garden but frankly they are crap and they want an expensive monthly subscription.

Just looking for something easy to install that gives peace of mind when out at work.

Cheers.

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *hil39Man  over a year ago

Dagenham

I got a really good one from Amazon, it wasn't monitored but you could control from your phone and even "look around" left right up and down

By *bi HaiveMan  over a year ago
Forum Mod

Cheeseville, Somerset

"Right off the bat I'm not talking about weird shit.

Looking for recommendations for a system that allows me to monitor my home when we are at work or out.

I purchased blink cameras for front door and back garden but frankly they are crap and they want an expensive monthly subscription.

Just looking for something easy to install that gives peace of mind when out at work.

Cheers."

We have blink cameras and a sync module for storage. No subscription and can be viewed from my mobile, along with a blink video doorbell.

Never had an issue with them and with a large enough USB attached we've never run out of space.

A

couple, us we him her.

Cheers.

We have blink cameras and a sync module for storage. No subscription and can be viewed from my mobile, along with a blink video doorbell.

Never had an issue with them and with a large enough USB attached we've never run out of space.

A"

That's what I thought until the free subscription period ends and they make most of the features obsolete unless you subscribe.

Forum Mod

Cheeseville, Somerset

Cheers.

A

That's what I thought until the free subscription period ends and they make most of the features obsolete unless you subscribe."

Nope. We've never subscribed. It's all local storage.

You buy a sync 2 module - ours came as a bundle with the cameras - pop a USB stick in and plug it in.

It records from all cameras dependant on settings. We just switch on the motion sensors on the indoor cameras when out and turn off when home. No subscription to pay at all. Ever.

A

By *ucka39Man  over a year ago

Newcastle

Shouldn't cost you anything once you have the camera installed as the camera software can be linked to camera apps have you tried Martin Lewis money market online

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Just make sure that the cameras aren't linked to your internet!

Forum Mod

Cheeseville, Somerset

The sync module is £30. Add £15 for a 256gb USB slick and you're good to go to connect up to 10 indoor and outdoor cameras with no subscription ever.

A

couple, us we him her.

"Just make sure that the cameras aren't linked to your internet! "

Dumb question.

Why's that ( self confessed technophobe)

"Just make sure that the cameras aren't linked to your internet!

Dumb question.

Why's that ( self confessed technophobe)"

Because thieves now hack your internet so they can watch your comes and goings, plus where you leave stuff etc. ... it's getting way more common and it will more so

By *om and JennieCouple  over a year ago

Chams or Socials

We have a 4 camera Swann system from a Screwfix. Really easy to set up & use

J x

How much is a small fortune? Theres wireless system that run off the mains with mobile signal as back up in case of power outage. You could add home assistant with cameras, lights etc

By *oo..Woman  over a year ago

Boo's World

I've got Eufy security cameras, from Amazon.

Wireless set up with the App to view them from.

Great during the day.

Also good images on night vision as well.

Can speak to people and set off an intruder alarm from your phone as well.

Can also set a perimeter that you need for around your property.

Forum Mod

Cheeseville, Somerset

"Just make sure that the cameras aren't linked to your internet!

Dumb question.

Why's that ( self confessed technophobe)

Because thieves now hack your internet so they can watch your comes and goings, plus where you leave stuff etc. ... it's getting way more common and it will more so"

It's pretty tricky to hack most Internet unless you're daft enough to give access to passwords or allow viruses onto equipment.

Most WiFi works on WPA2 and that's secure enough.

A

By *ames_dieselMan  over a year ago

London

Cheers.

A

That's what I thought until the free subscription period ends and they make most of the features obsolete unless you subscribe.

You buy a sync 2 module - ours came as a bundle with the cameras - pop a USB stick in and plug it in.

It records from all cameras dependant on settings. We just switch on the motion sensors on the indoor cameras when out and turn off when home. No subscription to pay at all. Ever.

A"

London

Cheers.

A

A"

Sounds great, thanks for the info

By *wisted999Man  over a year ago

North Bucks

Got mine from Costco 12 cameras and they fitted them for an extra charge.

By *esmond and Molly JonesCouple  over a year ago

Watford

I bought a "Galayou" outside camera last month for about £40. I'm very impressed with it. It is a ball type which you can rotate 360 degrees remotely from your phone side to side and can also go up and down.

You can pay for a sub or alternatively, just stick in a memory card.

You get instant alerts when somebody passes the cam and with the memory card, it continuously saves the footage then overwrites when full.

Absolutely brilliant so far. I'm going to get another for the rear.

I’ve been looking at the Ubiquiti range but they aren’t cheap! My sticking point has always been - can you actually use the video footage. You can buy more affordable cameras but they often have such poor picture quality that it seems pointless. But the non-subscription systems that have good quality and record to a local drive are not cheap! So I haven’t bought anything LOL

By *ust RachelTV/TS  over a year ago

Horsham

I have often wondered if these camera systems that work via wifi, do they work if someone intentionally cuts your wifi cable to the house?

"I have often wondered if these camera systems that work via wifi, do they work if someone intentionally cuts your wifi cable to the house?"

If you record locally and/or have a mobile SIM for back up then a malicious disconnection of broadband won’t affect the system. A wired system that is a closed loop with the cables out of reach would probably be the most secure, but I’m no expert

Forum Mod

Cheeseville, Somerset

"I have often wondered if these camera systems that work via wifi, do they work if someone intentionally cuts your wifi cable to the house?"

Our WiFi cable is underground fibre so unless someone's bringing a mini digger they'd have a job.

And if the just unplugged the router once inside they'd already have been recorded by several cameras so pointless.

A

By *ust RachelTV/TS  over a year ago

Horsham

"I have often wondered if these camera systems that work via wifi, do they work if someone intentionally cuts your wifi cable to the house?

Our WiFi cable is underground fibre so unless someone's bringing a mini digger they'd have a job.

And if the just unplugged the router once inside they'd already have been recorded by several cameras so pointless.

A"

I was thinking more in the street, were the cable splits to different houses.

Sorry to derail the thread, but it has put me off buying a system like this, in case it can be bypassed.

Forum Mod

Cheeseville, Somerset

"I have often wondered if these camera systems that work via wifi, do they work if someone intentionally cuts your wifi cable to the house?

A

I was thinking more in the street, were the cable splits to different houses.

Sorry to derail the thread, but it has put me off buying a system like this, in case it can be bypassed."

That would be pretty unlikely to happen. If that kind of issue puts you off then there are literally very few options left, unless you're able to afford satellite coverage beamed wirelessly to a secure bunker with protected data servers, backed up in multiple countries. ??

A

By *ornyguyMan  over a year ago

Hillsborough, NI

"I've got Eufy security cameras, from Amazon.

Great during the day.

Can also set a perimeter that you need for around your property. "

I also have Eufy and happy with them; very easy to setup and lots of configurability. Could it be hacked, can't guarantee it wouldn't. Could it be bypassed if someone tried hard enough, probably? It comes down to effort vs risk.

By *rder66Man  over a year ago

Tatooine

I installed 360 eyes cameras, can view them anytime.

By *itvclaireTV/TS  over a year ago

Birmingham

"I've got Eufy security cameras, from Amazon.

Great during the day.

Can also set a perimeter that you need for around your property. "

We have the Eufy ones too. Added a solar panel to the one on the front wall as it's set to pick up everything, it saves having to get it down to recharge

XX

By *adbod2godbodMan  over a year ago

Manchester

I've got a self patroling system.

It's called a dog. Very effective

London

"I've got a self patroling system.

It's called a dog. Very effective "

Does it eat steak, laced with sleeping tablets?!

By *adbod2godbodMan  over a year ago

Manchester

"I've got a self patroling system.

It's called a dog. Very effective

Does it eat steak, laced with sleeping tablets?! "

Never tried him on it, probably make him quite lethargic. Probably stick to the kibble

By *owestoft ManMan  over a year ago

Lowestoft

First off, anything that is connected through the internet can be hacked. You have to understand that. But there are many ways to make things safer and that discussion is pretty large in some cases so wont go down that road.

All the larger company brands will have security built in and they have a lot of need and experience of doing this.

But the big questions are Cost, Ease of Installation and ability to remotely Monitor. But the big thing to remember is also to be able to view history. Pretty much all the existing big brands are able to do all this and are pretty safe.

I have installed a few and have all been the Ring brand. The first one for my elderly mum and she rarely leaves her place but gives her plenty of comfort knowing she can look outside at any time. Sadly her Mobility Scooter got taken from outside her front door and although everything was captured and recorded the thieves had full coverings including over the face. Caught the Van they used but was a bit to far away for capturing their number plate. The Cops were called straight away with the description of the Van but they were absolutely useless and would only give us a report number. That was before Covid. After a very recent and VERY bad incident happened to another elderly person very close by she wanted another one put on the back door. To say this was easy is an understatement.

I phoned Ring help line and chose another Ring doorbell to add to the existing system. Costs are in the region of about 70 quid and when it arrived was very simple to add to the existing system. All recordings are stored on the cloud which costs about 35 quid a year which I think is reasonable.

But like I said there are many out there to choose from but remember what every you choose you never get anything without paying lol. Similar to when I bought a Boat lol. Learnt very quickly that Boat is actually and Acronym for Bring Out Another Thousand LOL. You can get very cheap equipment but when you start adding on things like recording storage etc the prices will keep going up. So probably better to just pay up front and get a good well used system.

By *om and JennieCouple  over a year ago

Chams or Socials

Spookily we had the police knock out door last night to see if we had recorded some suspicious activity!!

J x

By *ig1gaz1Man  over a year ago

bradford

you get what you pay for with cctv if your a skinflint with it thats what you will get.

A dedicated system is the better option, theres a few versions out there.

dvr cctv recorder 8 channel is best 4 will do.

nvr cctv recorder is better

They both can be networked and also recorded online as much as you can view them from your phones.

cctv units are pinchable fasten them down well.

online recording does come in handy if unit is pinched.

amazon products becareful with them as they can be illegal in the uk.

doorbell cameras must not go over onto next doors property same with other cctv cameras and they must not view into a bedroom.

sound recording is allowed its such a grey area that no court has ordered against it being done.

By *adCherriesCouple  over a year ago

Cheshire/Northwest

Cheers."

We have blink and have never paid a subscription and they work perfectly. We get notifications whenever they go off and can live view with chat etc.. don't know why you were paying a subscription for

» Add a new message to this topic