FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > back pain

back pain

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *southguy OP   Man  over a year ago

D18

Presumable from always sitting at work. Apart from the obvious , that i need to get up and move more, does anyone know any ways to relieve this?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *ames-77Man  over a year ago

milton keynes

"Presumable from always sitting at work. Apart from the obvious , that i need to get up and move more, does anyone know any ways to relieve this?"

Stretch touch your toes

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Heat

Hot water bottle or patch

By *k8888GLWWoman  over a year ago

Glasgow

As you said take breaks, make sure your desk, chair and screen height are in the right position to your height. Depending on the chair you can get back supports.

Some physio and even some basic yoga all help.

By *nightsoftheCoffeeTableCouple  over a year ago

Leeds

I put my back out few years ago. Best thing I found was just try and keep it moving. Walk!, dr and chiropractor both told me hot and cold help ( did nothing for me ) but get some ice packs and hot water bottle, 15 mins cold, 15 mins hot and so on and so on.

The mr

Yogas

Learn to breathe correctly, dialling in the core properly will help relieve back pain.

Posturally we are all over the place these days

By *ablo minibar123Woman  over a year ago

A tens machine

Following because my back is awful. I know I've got bad posture when sitting (desk job) so that'll be the first thing to deal with

F

By *estrel girlWoman  over a year ago

Wokingham

Zapain

By *lynJMan  over a year ago

Morden

"As you said take breaks, make sure your desk, chair and screen height are in the right position to your height. Depending on the chair you can get back supports.

"

Ask if you can have a "standing desk" so that you can spend some of the time standing up whilst working.

Regular Yoga and Pilates. If you don't want to do classes there are some great channels on youtube

By *radesman87Man  over a year ago

Gloucester

Pilates and physio helps me , due to job always have back pain

Do some core exercises, things like dead bugs, bird dog, single knee fall outs, windscreen wipers, Russian twists. Basically, ab exercises, but try to avoid situps, they can aggravate back issues. Work on activating your transverse abs when doing the exercises, search for a video on how as it's not the easiest thing for people to get the hang of (I always say trying to stop yourself from weeing haha). Piliates is also a fantastic option.

By *orksRockerMan  over a year ago

Bradford

I very rarely get this but while doing nothing, mine went out last week. Smarts initially and at times, can't walk properly. Over compensating and bending over slightly while walking because it's hard to straighten up. I'm combatting it with Volterol and paracetamol... And looking it up, more gentle exercise, the better and it goes back to normal.

Can't wait for that to happen. You don't realise how often you use it. More clumsy dropping things, coughing, laughing all hurt and sneezing is yelp time. Good luck OP.

By *929Man  over a year ago

newcastle

Train the back muscles, many times I’ve seen people completely alleviate back pain by regular working and strengthening of the back muscles.

By *llaandGCouple  over a year ago

London

Agree with all the comments about yoga, pilates and core strengthening. Lots of back pain is due to poor posture and weakening of core stability. Workspace set up really important too, I jokingly say the hidden cost of lockdown is going to be backpain from lots of young people getting bad backs from being hunched over laptops in their living space....

It's also really important to keep doing the exercises even after this episode is over.

Simple painkillers are important to enable exercise but current guidelines say avoid anything too strong or addictive. Warm baths can help

Versus Arthritis website has a good exercise sheet (Google "versus Arthritis back pain exercises")

Hope that helps

G

DSE assessment to check everything is in the correct place. Stand up every 20 minutes. Decent posture and back support for your desk. If your company allows, a standing desk is great.

Mrs

By *hrek101Man  over a year ago

Herts

Had really bad back issue few years ago. Was always very active. Key part of recovery was increasing core strength. Never had a problem since plus I look better. Dedicate 10 minutes to increasing your core strength daily.

After two spinal fusions I now sit on a gym ball when working

It's way better than any kneeling chairs

There are so many amazing tutorials online to give advice for this….. slow & steady make little changes and they soon start to show the improvement

See an osteopath. They'll assess you and give you any necessary treatments x

By *otsossieMan  over a year ago

Chesterfield

Hope the tips above help, OP. I found heat, voltarol gel, and physio helped. Mine was a combination of factors including tight hamstrings pulling my hips out of position.

I find Yoga cobra pose helpful.

If you get any changes in sensation below the waist then please get it checked out by gp.

"As you said take breaks, make sure your desk, chair and screen height are in the right position to your height. Depending on the chair you can get back supports.

Ask if you can have a "standing desk" so that you can spend some of the time standing up whilst working. "

Second this, standing desk is a game changer

By *inky_couple2020Couple  over a year ago

North West

Ask if you can have a "standing desk" so that you can spend some of the time standing up whilst working. "

Yes to all but to add, consider a sit-stand chair that can either be sat on or perched on. A saddle chair can be good for people with sciatic pain and other pain. I have a Hag Capisco office chair both at home and the office. I can't sit in a regular office chair at all. Most basic office chairs offer no support and are the wrong height. Employers have a duty to make work space adequate, especially under regulations relating to computer use.

Short term try and find a decent acupuncturist that knows backs to rebalance your back - severe pain can be down to very stressed muscles and spine misalignment - Bizarrely I am sat here with tremendous pain in my right shoulder blade. Last time this happened to me the NHS were utterly useless and shockingly dismissive. Acupuncture eased the muscle tensions and allowed her to move my spine back where it should be.

Long term core reinforcement exercise will work on prevention, rowing machine and cross training is a good gentle start if you do literally nothing now and help your cardio at the same time. Exercise doesn't need to be tedious, try some sports, we love paddle boarding and kayaking both are awesome core builders but most sports require increased mobility.

Disclaimer - I'm not a medical professional or physio so that advice is based on what works for me. By all means consult your GP and get a physio referral if they'll even listen to you

By *eneralKenobiMan  over a year ago

North Angus

I’ve been visiting a masseuse the last month and it’s worked wonders for a few of my ailments

By *nliveneTV/TS  over a year ago

Selby

Practicing surfing or swimming .

I had back in January chronic back pain , the pain was just immense , i went to hospital because i was recovering from major surgery that i had in November and they were worried could be the cause but fortunately with co-codamol and ibuprofen gel the pain got away in a week time

By *icecouple561Couple  over a year ago
Forum Mod

East Sussex

Find out the cause then take it from there.

In general core strength and gentle exercise are key but I had back pain for a very long time that has only been relieved by surgery.

Good luck with finding a doctor to take you seriously though.

By *hGlobbitsMan  over a year ago

Leeds

I had the same issue. Bought a cheap posture corrector from Amazon. Fixed me right up, ridiculously quickly.

Also pilates or yoga. My back is always so much better when I'm doing one of those.

Amatsu massage, worked wonders for me

Lee

If you've had it for more than 6 months & especially if you have the pain radiating to other limbs, get your GP to refer you to a physiotherapist.

If after a month or so of doing the exercises they give you, you don't feel improvement, the physiotherapist can then refer you to get an MRI scan.

Depending on what that shows you can then be referred from there to a neurosurgeon.

No amount of chiropractic treatment can fix a serious internal bone/disc structural abnormality. An an MRI will show clearly if you have one.

Go private if you have to have an MRI and you feel you can't deal with waiting with the pain on the NHS (you'll be in for a long wait otherwise.)

A bit about me -

I've been to 4 chriropracters over the years (i wouldn't bother doing this again, it's not really a proven science. Though perhaps it can be mildly beneficial in the beginning stages of back complications..)

& I've had to have 2 surgeries on my spine so far.

There was a point at the beginning of my back problem where i couldn't stand up for months, so i couldn't even get to a sink to brush my teeth (my legs felt like they were breaking if i tried to stand). I was on a morphine and a cocktail of other drugs aswell as cannabis oil, I had sourced illegally. Not of this did anything for me except make me tired.

- Your GP will most likely give you some of these pain killers first.

Having a one to one session with a physiotherapist is a lot better than watching youtube videos and trying to work out which excerises to do yourself (i did this first..)

In summary, GP, physio(hopefully you might improve at this point), MRI, consultant surgeon...

By *obby3264Man  over a year ago

Cambridge

Look up the symptoms on NHS and look at the stretching exercises. Helps me with my on going back issues.

By *obby3264Man  over a year ago

Cambridge

"Look up the symptoms on NHS and look at the stretching exercises. Helps me with my on going back issues. "
and have a bath or at least hotwater bottle for immediate pain and rest.

By *londebiguyMan  over a year ago

Southport

Yoga, tai chi , calanetic exercise etc.

Swimming and sauna or steam could all help you.

Regular Swedish massage could do you good too.

» Add a new message to this topic