FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Electric Cars

Electric Cars

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *isaB45 OP   Woman  over a year ago

Fabville

Am considering my next car purchase, and EVs seem to be everywhere.

What are your experiences?

Reply privately (closed, thread got too big)

By *ormerWelshcouple2020Man  over a year ago

Stourbridge

Depends entirely on what you need. How many miles a day do you do? Can you fit a charge point at home?

Fabville

"Depends entirely on what you need. How many miles a day do you do? Can you fit a charge point at home? "

There's already a charge point here.

By *avexxMan  over a year ago

cheshire

well for me there still to expensive,,, charging points would bother me too not enough

By *4bimMan  over a year ago

Farnborough Hampshire

As a motorbike over car guy they are too expensive and don't do the miles right now.

Btw keep an eye on Toyota they are soon going to announce something which could be a better choice.

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Being a petrol head (so I am biased to burning dinosaurs to power my car) if I were to give any kind of serious advice towards electric motors, get a hybrid, you get the best of both worlds

By *randmrs17Couple  over a year ago

Wigan

Mr has one. It’s perfect if you don’t travel far. Great for driving round town, to and from work. But planning to go anywhere further is an absolute nightmare. Having to stop at services and wait for the chargers is a night mare. They’re popular and usually not that many chargers available at services. Going to your destination isn’t all bad. When you’re on your way home and want nothing but your bed. Awful!

"Am considering my next car purchase, and EVs seem to be everywhere.

"

I have a Polestar 2, wouldn’t swap it for anything else right now.

There’s a lot made about the infrastructure in the country, but if you have off road parking and can charge at home, the infrastructure itself is only a factor during longer trips and even then, the waits are only long when idiots insist on charging to 100%

The best description I gave the Polestar, it feels like a normal car, whereas when I tested a Tesla Model 3, it didn’t

By *obinBuckleyMan  over a year ago

Buckley

Don't do it. Unless you only drive local and can charge on your own drive, perhaps from your own solar. Otherwise avoid as they are nothing but a big money sink.

By *ustus56Couple  over a year ago

rugby

no no no and no again

By *ucka39Man  over a year ago

Newcastle

I think myself it's a messy idea might be good for the environment but holding everyone up and booking hotel rooms until fully charged if possible

As for a spare tyre will their be one for the battery

By *obinBuckleyMan  over a year ago

Buckley

Also, not that you ever want to but don't ever break down in one as your not going anywhere fast for a good long while.

By *ackformore100Man  over a year ago

Tin town

I need to replace my car. Ive got about 10k. Id think of an ev but cant get one for that sort of money. So petrol it is.

"

When you have finished your research let me know the result. I am having to get rid of my large diesel cos of the new ULEZ in August - not paying £12.50 per day for the little I use it.

I read an article stating that car dealers are not buying second hand ev's at the minute and many are losing thousands on the ones they have in stock

People just aren't buying into them

Entrance prices are sky high, electric isn't cheap and Musk reducing Tesla prices have all been cited as reasons for the slump

By *exyfuncouple-40Couple  over a year ago

Bloxham

Think hydrogen will be the way forward in cars , or even fully synthetic petrol

"Think hydrogen will be the way forward in cars , or even fully synthetic petrol "

I’d love to see fully synthetic but we are a long way away from that being affordable mass produced.

By *ustus56Couple  over a year ago

rugby

"I read an article stating that car dealers are not buying second hand ev's at the minute and many are losing thousands on the ones they have in stock

Entrance prices are sky high, electric isn't cheap and Musk reducing Tesla prices have all been cited as reasons for the slump"

or they are just expensive crap and ppl have finally woken up to the fact they have been conned again and they are not the cheap environmentally friendly car the government said they would be

Fabville

Are EVs the Betamax of the car world?

By *rder66Man  over a year ago

Tatooine

Not enough infrastructure:

More liithium for battery's need from mines in south america which harms the soil, kills plant and animal life, distroys cummunities by contaminating water supplies and cause local conflicts or perhaps from the Congo where children, pregnant women are forced to mine for pennies and dig through dust and contaminants that are very harmful as well as distoying the Congo itself.

We also need copper, see above.

Is it that green?

"Are EVs the Betamax of the car world?"

No hydrogen powered cars are.

By *avexxMan  over a year ago

cheshire

im sure lots of people on here know more about cars than me,,, but would a hybrid be better

By *idnight RamblerMan  over a year ago

Pershore

A point rarely mentioned is that EVs are around 33% heavier than ICEs meaning more energy, more road wear, more tyre wear.

I work in the motor trade and electric cars aren’t for one everyone, the charging infrastructure is not great here in uk yet. There is a thing called range anxiety. If you are doing a lot of miles per year it won’t work very well, who wants to wait 40 minutes to charge their car or even if the charging point work ! I found ev work well with people that are only driving short distances, like traveling to work locally or driving short journeys. If the electric infrastructure was better I don’t think we would bat an eye lid

By *red333Man  over a year ago

Dorchester

"As a motorbike over car guy they are too expensive and don't do the miles right now.

Btw keep an eye on Toyota they are soon going to announce something which could be a better choice."

a car that doesn't need to charge for a week I'd buy it

By *randMrsNorthernCouple  over a year ago

Cheshire

Internal combustion engines every day.

Electric cars are no fun and the infrastructure at present is crap.

When I get my next car

Will be hybrid petrol and electric

Sometimes long trips up to Liverpool

I have one. Love it.

It drives so smoothly and is shit off a shovel.

I've not had to use public charging poings often. When I have I've been multitasking. (eg shopping, dog walking,etc).

I've driven fair distances in it... Three hour journies. Any more than that and I should be taking a twenty minute break anyway. I've never quite worked out how far people drive in one go for ev to start to become a problem.

Range anxiety is slightly self fulfilling. Tbh it's more "can I get back to my cheaper charging points" than "will I find a charger". Obv not a problem you have with ICE.

Downsides are boots tend to be smaller (dog goes on back seat). People think I'm a twat. And people want to tell me why ice is better. Or EV isn't as green as I think it is.

By *outhweel2Man  over a year ago

Newark

With the latest EVs unless you're journeys are over 250 miles they are fine, serving costs are far less, running costs are less if charging at home and another same as petrol if charging at a charge station.

I had a Yaris hybrid for a little while on lease . I loved it and it was so economical.

However I did miss the roar of turning on the engine

"People think I'm a twat. And people want to tell me why ice is better. Or EV isn't as green as I think it is. "

I always love speaking to those people!

They tell me ICE is better, then I tell them I have a 2nd car, and I choose to take the EV out every time.

Regarding range anxiety, only winter months get twitchy, but never have I ever got to a position where I have been close to 0% before finding my way to a rapid charger, even for a splash and dash to get me home. By the time I've been for a piss after plugging in, I'll probably have stuck enough power in to make it home anyway.

We’ve looked at them, but I do far too many miles to be stopping and charging in the middle of a commute. I’m going to go hybrid I think next

300 mile drive tomorrow to HQ.

Train journey there is dire.

Cant see me not using ICE vehicle for yrs and yrs.

By *mo512Man  over a year ago

LONDON

"Think hydrogen will be the way forward in cars , or even fully synthetic petrol "

Agreed. Emissions is a global issue. I don't think a billion cars in India and China and other third world countries will be replaced by EVs.

Synthetic fuels is the best solution esp if engines of current cars can be adapted for new fuels.

By *ictoria_1976TV/TS  over a year ago

Newquay

But they don't have a gearbox or go Brum bruuuum - it's a red line for me

....and of course they're shite, over priced & not really environmentally friendly..

By *edeWoman  over a year ago

the abyss

Unfortunately and EV wouldn't suit me as I do a lot of longer journeys. Considering a hybrid for next car but just not sure as it kind of feels like when the TVs with dvd players in them came out

By *ove2pleaseseukMan  over a year ago

Hastings

"But they don't have a gearbox or go Brum bruuuum - it's a red line for me

....and of course they're shite, over priced & not really environmentally friendly.."

About 250 mile for me Wednesday in a van full of parts just in case ans not meany hybrid small van's as yet witch is disappointing. But have UKPN coming tomorrow up grade power as think it will be first come first served when it down to free upgrades.

By *he love catsCouple  over a year ago

South Wales

Haven't long bought my daughter one for her birthday, it cost almost double the amount of the petrol version and I still had to pay almost another 2 grand for the charging point to get fitted as it had to go from the front door, throughout the house, under the garden and then into the garage.

After all this cost it's not doing anywhere near the mileage it's supposed to as even having the heaters or any electrics on will shorten the range of the battery.

With the price of petrol going down and the price of electricity going up it's no cheaper to run.

It's not the future of motoring.

By *atriciayoiditTV/TS  over a year ago

hatfield

"

have a look on youtube...they come with their own cremation kit..??

Fabville

have a look on youtube...they come with their own cremation kit..??"

Li-ion fires are concerning.

By *laytime78Man  over a year ago

Oldham

"Mr has one. It’s perfect if you don’t travel far. Great for driving round town, to and from work. But planning to go anywhere further is an absolute nightmare. Having to stop at services and wait for the chargers is a night mare. They’re popular and usually not that many chargers available at services. Going to your destination isn’t all bad. When you’re on your way home and want nothing but your bed. Awful! "

100% agree with this, spot on!

By *hrek101Man  over a year ago

Herts

Hybrid as charging network is rubbish

Dorchester

What happens when we all have electric cars wheres all the power coming from

By *heRazorsEdgeMan  over a year ago

Wales/ All over UK

"What happens when we all have electric cars wheres all the power coming from "

Well the oil refineries won’t need to be using Thousands of MegaWatts a day for a start

By *icolerobbieCouple  over a year ago

walsall

Well electric cars are most likely the future, but they are definitely not the present.

Overpriced and under ranged.

"What happens when we all have electric cars wheres all the power coming from "

Those wind turbines that we have to turn off because we cannot store the generated electricity, will finally have a use!

By *ust RachelTV/TS  over a year ago

Horsham

The company has told me I am getting a Vovlo XC40 recharge, shame I don't have anywhere to put a charger. Still have finance running on my bike, so can't really buy another car.

By *oonloverWoman  over a year ago

bognor regis

Hubby has one as company car. Other than it's cheap to use locally I dislike it. Infrastructure isn't there, range is not great, and it's way too complicated,. Oh and it won't move if driver has no seat belt..very annoying when you just want to drive 6ft through a gate and get out to shut said gate

By *ames 1234566Man  over a year ago

Driffield

No good for us county bumpkins!

"Are EVs the Betamax of the car world?

No hydrogen powered cars are."

Exactly. Takes more energy to harvest it as it's always attached to something and does anyone remember what happened to the Hindenburg? Safe storage is an issue

Wales/ All over UK

Exactly. Takes more energy to harvest it as it's always attached to something and does anyone remember what happened to the Hindenburg? Safe storage is an issue"

100% this.

With hydrogen there’s a massive efficiency issue as the cleanest way to produce it is hydrolysis… using electricity to separate hydrogen from oxygen in water… but why not just use that electricity to power the vehicle instead?

I really like mine now.. I'm over my range anxiety... There are plentiful chargers, altho you do have to seek out the fast ones.. I find it baffling that so many slow chargers are being built??

Currently getting 280-300ish to my charge. Will be higher in summer 350ish

walsall

"The company has told me I am getting a Vovlo XC40 recharge, shame I don't have anywhere to put a charger. Still have finance running on my bike, so can't really buy another car."

Can you use your own car and charge mileage? My company does this.

Dorchester

"No good for us county bumpkins! "
James county?

Dorchester

"I really like mine now.. I'm over my range anxiety... There are plentiful chargers, altho you do have to seek out the fast ones.. I find it baffling that so many slow chargers are being built??

Currently getting 280-300ish to my charge. Will be higher in summer 350ish"

how long do you have to wait for a charge, fast or slow?

Horsham

"The company has told me I am getting a Vovlo XC40 recharge, shame I don't have anywhere to put a charger. Still have finance running on my bike, so can't really buy another car.

Can you use your own car and charge mileage? My company does this."

No, they don't allow me to use the motorbike, I only have a bike and the company car. They do give mileage but not for bikes.

By *ittleMissCaliWoman  over a year ago

trouble most likely, or creating it :)

"Hubby has one as company car. Other than it's cheap to use locally I dislike it. Infrastructure isn't there, range is not great, and it's way too complicated,. Oh and it won't move if driver has no seat belt..very annoying when you just want to drive 6ft through a gate and get out to shut said gate "
to be fair the seatbelt thing isn't an EV thing. My petrol new car does the same x

walsall

"Hubby has one as company car. Other than it's cheap to use locally I dislike it. Infrastructure isn't there, range is not great, and it's way too complicated,. Oh and it won't move if driver has no seat belt..very annoying when you just want to drive 6ft through a gate and get out to shut said gate to be fair the seatbelt thing isn't an EV thing. My petrol new car does the same x"

Mine allows you to drive, up to a certain speed then beeps you into submission.

walsall

"The company has told me I am getting a Vovlo XC40 recharge, shame I don't have anywhere to put a charger. Still have finance running on my bike, so can't really buy another car.

No, they don't allow me to use the motorbike, I only have a bike and the company car. They do give mileage but not for bikes."

Might be worth getting a cheap car and refusing the company car? Would your tax bill be lower to help ? Not sure how company car tax works these days?

By *abioMan  over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

"I read an article stating that car dealers are not buying second hand ev's at the minute and many are losing thousands on the ones they have in stock

Entrance prices are sky high, electric isn't cheap and Musk reducing Tesla prices have all been cited as reasons for the slump"

It’s not that people aren’t buying them because they actually are..

The reason why some dealers are not buying them is that the prices on them are dropping dramatically… for example a model 3 that was selling at 52k 4 months ago is now selling at 41k now!

It frustrates me when people talk about cost because there are ev cars if you search that are reasonably priced… for example the MG4, which is a fantastic car and has gotten all sorts of “car of the year” recommendations and recognitions actually retails cheaper than a ford focus.. 25-26k starting point!

In the next 18-24 months the price thing won’t be such a thing… the “baby tesla” will likely be available, fords entire European line will be EV.. so 9 new cars coming in the next 18 months, and other manufacturers will be bringing out stuff… the Kia/Hyundai EVs are fantastic

My next car will be an EV… I keep changing my mind on what I am aiming at getting

Newcastle and Gateshead

"Not enough infrastructure:

More liithium for battery's need from mines in south america which harms the soil, kills plant and animal life, distroys cummunities by contaminating water supplies and cause local conflicts or perhaps from the Congo where children, pregnant women are forced to mine for pennies and dig through dust and contaminants that are very harmful as well as distoying the Congo itself.

Is it that green?"

A) the type of lithium batteries used in most cars now don’t use colbolt……

B) next time you are so concerned about the amount of lithium… look at your iPhone or Samsung! you willing to give that up?

By *eard and BoobsCouple  over a year ago

Portstewart

At the moment the infrastructure of charging networks is woefully inadequate if the government wants it to succeed they need to spend millions getting things in place. It could be the same as when the motorways were first constructed

By *he AmbassadorMan  over a year ago

IRLANDA. / Prague. / Cil Dara

Anyone know if Rivian will go on sale over here,

Its the only EV im interested in at present.

"Hubby has one as company car. Other than it's cheap to use locally I dislike it. Infrastructure isn't there, range is not great, and it's way too complicated,. Oh and it won't move if driver has no seat belt..very annoying when you just want to drive 6ft through a gate and get out to shut said gate to be fair the seatbelt thing isn't an EV thing. My petrol new car does the same x

Mine allows you to drive, up to a certain speed then beeps you into submission. "

mine I can't even reverse off the drive or anything. It won't remove the handbrake till your seat belt is on

"

A lot of not all are made in China, and I would assume the main differences would be the trim on the inside. BYD are new to the UK market. As for small cars Fiat's are know for poor electronics, as are French cars. So I'd suggest avoiding Peugeot, Citroen and Vauxhall too.

By *host63Man  over a year ago

Bedfont Feltham

"

I drive hundreds of miles to dance events and to do my regular classes. Take Easter I drove to Yorkshire from London to visit a friend and go to a Tango workshop and to help out with her event.

I simply could not do this if I had an electric car.

However if you are just a city/ town driver with a charging point I would say go for it.

"I really like mine now.. I'm over my range anxiety... There are plentiful chargers, altho you do have to seek out the fast ones.. I find it baffling that so many slow chargers are being built??

Currently getting 280-300ish to my charge. Will be higher in summer 350ish"

Midnight - what make is yours?

By *opetop4UMan  over a year ago

Aberdeen

[Removed by poster at 11/04/23 11:24:59]

By *ister_ee_1981Man  over a year ago

Sunniest Exeter...

A friend of mine has a plug in hybrid. Electric for around town, petrol if you start to go over 40 mph. Petrol doesn't charge the motor, so fuel bill is good as you aren't wasting it on charging the batteries.

By *opetop4UMan  over a year ago

Aberdeen

drive one at work.

It is meant to have a range of 150 miles.

In the summer I get 120 miles out of a full charge.

On a cold day where I have the heater, wipers and lights on that drops to 80 miles.

People with umbrellas step out in front of you because they don't hear your vehicle but the acceleration is so good that I amuse myself by wheelspinning around them. It's priceless!

By *ootyfruityCouple  over a year ago

andover

We love ours!! Also if you have a home charger you can get on a really cheap tariff with octopus.

Arrange to test drive a few different ones, you will love them, there are also apps that tell you exactly where chargers are, what kind and if they are in use. Type in your route and it will show you where they are along the way

South Wales

"We love ours!! Also if you have a home charger you can get on a really cheap tariff with octopus.

Arrange to test drive a few different ones, you will love them, there are also apps that tell you exactly where chargers are, what kind and if they are in use. Type in your route and it will show you where they are along the way"

Are provider's still giving cheaper EV tariffs? As I'm currently on a variable at 40p per kWh, I did look around but couldn't find any new ones.

andover

"We love ours!! Also if you have a home charger you can get on a really cheap tariff with octopus.

Arrange to test drive a few different ones, you will love them, there are also apps that tell you exactly where chargers are, what kind and if they are in use. Type in your route and it will show you where they are along the way

Are provider's still giving cheaper EV tariffs? As I'm currently on a variable at 40p per kWh, I did look around but couldn't find any new ones. "

Yeah we are on 10 per kWh for about 6 hours at night then about 40 per kWh during the day

By *otsossieMan  over a year ago

Chesterfield

" I am having to get rid of my large diesel cos of the new ULEZ in August - not paying £12.50 per day for the little I use it."

Mine is a euro6, are they impacted by ULEZ?

IIRC the original point was that they would be exempt, but the goalposts keep moving.

Newcastle and Gateshead

Are provider's still giving cheaper EV tariffs? As I'm currently on a variable at 40p per kWh, I did look around but couldn't find any new ones. "

At the moment with the electricity price cap.. the answer is no! If prices start coming down which may happen in the next 6-12 months they may come back

By *ansduoCouple  over a year ago

Glasgow

Never read so much disinformation about EVs in my life. Is this the Daily Mail guide to EVs?

South Wales

Are provider's still giving cheaper EV tariffs? As I'm currently on a variable at 40p per kWh, I did look around but couldn't find any new ones.

At the moment with the electricity price cap.. the answer is no! If prices start coming down which may happen in the next 6-12 months they may come back "

Hopefully they will return, at the moment it's probably no cheaper than my petrol car, hybrids and diesel are probably cheaper to run.

andover

At the moment with the electricity price cap.. the answer is no! If prices start coming down which may happen in the next 6-12 months they may come back

Hopefully they will return, at the moment it's probably no cheaper than my petrol car, hybrids and diesel are probably cheaper to run."

Octopus energy ARE 100% still offering cheaper rates for electric cars owners, we have saved about £150 a month switching to an electric car

Newcastle and Gateshead

"Never read so much disinformation about EVs in my life. Is this the Daily Mail guide to EVs?"

it does feel like there are so many old EV tropes being used in this thread that people haven’t kept up with developments….

South Wales

Hopefully they will return, at the moment it's probably no cheaper than my petrol car, hybrids and diesel are probably cheaper to run.

Octopus energy ARE 100% still offering cheaper rates for electric cars owners, we have saved about £150 a month switching to an electric car"

Going to have a look at this, thank you.

Tatooine

Is it that green?

B) next time you are so concerned about the amount of lithium… look at your iPhone or Samsung! you willing to give that up? "

A) 70% of the worlds Cobolt is mined from the Congo.

B) I didn't say I was perfect.

C) I buy reconditioned phones as I try as a way of lessening my impact which I need for work and I'm a single parent.

They are worse than that. Atleast the betamax worked. Electric cars are rubbish. Hybrid is the next best thing. Best of both worlds.

I drive hundreds of miles to dance events and to do my regular classes. Take Easter I drove to Yorkshire from London to visit a friend and go to a Tango workshop and to help out with her event.

I simply could not do this if I had an electric car.

However if you are just a city/ town driver with a charging point I would say go for it."

depend where to where, that's 210 miles and four hours of driving.

I could just about do that range in one go. Charge over night, or while helping the friend. Then drive home.

Tho for a four hour trip, I'm stopping for a break. So I'm charging then. Wazz, coffee, and a leg stretch, and thats 20 Mons burned and range anxiety gone.

I get it's not for everyone, but I'm suprised how many people drive four hours straight.

By *olchester FunMan  over a year ago

Colchester

Did you know that certain EV charge points host dogging events, so charge your car and get sucked off at the same time

Exactly. Takes more energy to harvest it as it's always attached to something and does anyone remember what happened to the Hindenburg? Safe storage is an issue

100% this.

With hydrogen there’s a massive efficiency issue as the cleanest way to produce it is hydrolysis… using electricity to separate hydrogen from oxygen in water… but why not just use that electricity to power the vehicle instead?"

I once had a hydroxy unit installed on a car which split the water to provide Hydrogen and Oxygen to the engine to improve MPG.

Improvement was only marginal though

walsall

"Never read so much disinformation about EVs in my life. Is this the Daily Mail guide to EVs?

it does feel like there are so many old EV tropes being used in this thread that people haven’t kept up with developments…. "

Overpriced and under ranged is not a trope Fabio, they’re facts.

By *inky_couple2020Couple  over a year ago

North West

"Did you know that certain EV charge points host dogging events, so charge your car and get sucked off at the same time "

Are you sure that wasn't a vacuum to keep your EV nice and clean?!

By *ornucopiaMan  over a year ago

Bexley

[Removed by poster at 11/04/23 19:25:03]

Bexley

"

Octopus energy ARE 100% still offering cheaper rates for electric cars owners, we have saved about £150 a month switching to an electric car"

How have you factored the outlay on the car into that saving?

By *escourtesMan  over a year ago

hereford

Excessive tyre wear on electrics compared to fuel vehicles, due to to high torque on drive wheels.

Bexley

"Excessive tyre wear on electrics compared to fuel vehicles, due to to high torque on drive wheels."

...and how are differentials arranged?

Newcastle and Gateshead

Is it that green?

B) next time you are so concerned about the amount of lithium… look at your iPhone or Samsung! you willing to give that up?

C) I buy reconditioned phones as I try as a way of lessening my impact which I need for work and I'm a single parent.

"

Most electric cars now use LFP batteries rather than Li-on, which don’t use colbolt in the manufacture process… which is why I said that is a scare tactic!

By *ermite12ukMan  over a year ago

Solihull and Brentwood

Tesla trialed a way of swopping out used batteries, and replace with fully charged ones. - Took around 5 to 10 mins.

The USA public never went for that idea.

So agree with you, perhaps electric vehicles are going down the betamax route unfortunately.

Also, would be very dubious about buying an electric vehicle because if the batteries do require changing. The cost is huge, I think.

Newcastle and Gateshead

"Never read so much disinformation about EVs in my life. Is this the Daily Mail guide to EVs?

it does feel like there are so many old EV tropes being used in this thread that people haven’t kept up with developments….

"

Again… when there are new EV’s about that are the same price as a new ford focus then it is a trope… I never said it was perfect, I did say there a lots of reasonable priced models coming

Also… range… the sweet spot for real term range at the moment is somewhere between 250-350 miles, my Prius has a 40 litre tank… at 50mpg that is about a 425 mile range

The electric range is getting better and better…

Newcastle and Gateshead

Tesla trialed a way of swopping out used batteries, and replace with fully charged ones. - Took around 5 to 10 mins.

The USA public never went for that idea.

So agree with you, perhaps electric vehicles are going down the betamax route unfortunately.

Also, would be very dubious about buying an electric vehicle because if the batteries do require changing. The cost is huge, I think."

Again most manufacturers give a 7-8 year or 100,000 mile warranty, the same as they do on a ICE car…..

Again no one is asking people to be an early adopter.. in fact because technology is this form is relatively new the gains are going seem massive, charging speeds, infrastructure ect

Tatooine

Is it that green?

Most electric cars now use LFP batteries rather than Li-on, which don’t use colbolt in the manufacture process… which is why I said that is a scare tactic! "

Only 3% in Europe and you still need the infrastructer for recharging which is alot of copper and the power stations to generate the elecric which we don't have, well excluding the reopening of coal power stations.

I suppose coal is a scare tactic as well.

I can't see EV becoming the norm. I think the planned dates to stop producing normal cars will be scrapped.. simply because we don't have the infrastructure to convert. The cars are not fit for purpose and are to expensive to run. From all the research I did before picking a new car, it would cost me as much to charge an electric car as it would to put fuel in a petrol car.

It would add hours to journeys with waiting to charge and charging.

Where as now I will simply fill the car up and drive for 2 to 4 hours. I managed to stop just the once Derby to Edinburgh and didn't need to fill the car. Just stopped for a quick food stop and a drink.

There is also the point that they are too expensive. I only get a new car as its on motability. Otherwise 1 to 2 thousand £ is my limit on a car... 3 max

Bexley

"

I thought it was about time i looked up 'trope' which has all the hallmarks of a forum buzzword.

This then led me to think of another current forum favourite 'disingenuous', which made me wonder if non hybrid electric cars could be described as 'disengineous'?

By *ady LickWoman  over a year ago

Northampton Somewhere

We are getting a EV soon, only because its a company car and loads cheaper on tax. Would never be able to afford one otherwise. I'll still be driving my smelly Mini

Horsham

No, they don't allow me to use the motorbike, I only have a bike and the company car. They do give mileage but not for bikes.

Might be worth getting a cheap car and refusing the company car? Would your tax bill be lower to help ? Not sure how company car tax works these days?"

I will have to weigh up the running costs, see what is best. Failing that, relive my youth hanging round supermarket car parks while the car gets charged.

By *ewbietarnMan  over a year ago

barnsley

Iv have a Car through work via salary sacrifice and it’s an ev it’s amazing my favourite one was the Renault megane so high spec it surprised me.

I’m a massive car geek and always said I’d never have a French car due to the reliability and I was proven VERY wrong so nice and powerful

By *ewbietarnMan  over a year ago

barnsley

If anyone wants to ask questions about it message me

"

Get a Hybrid for now and wait for the hydrogen infrastructure to role out properly...

By *eorge1949Man  over a year ago

BroadwayWR11

Unless you do mega miles and have access to cheap charging why on earth would anyone want to lumber themselves with an overly expensive, less convenient, highly depreciationg, under developed, still evolving lunp of politically promoted, engineering flawed crap?

I won't buy one, as you may have guessed!

There is always 2 distinct groups, absolutely for and absolutely against. For those against, no one is forcing you into being an early adopter.

When solid state batteries become more common place, and the 800V architecture more heavily adopted by manufacturers. Charging will be quicker and easier. It’s not actually that much of a negative now, take it from someone who does 40k a year in his EV!

There is an EV premium, but honestly, if I were to get a 400bhp fastback ICE, I wouldn’t get much change from 50k, so the polestar was priced around the right number. The base spec was 40k, so about a 8k premium over entry level ICE cars in the same market segment.

I still don’t think Hydrogen is the answer, I wish it was, and synthetics are a long way off being affordable.

With 2030 on the horizon, May as well get in now

By *irefly007Man  over a year ago

st austell

I have had electric vehicles since 2007

They are the future

Main benefits

Zero RFL at the moment

Zero maintenance

Low cost per mile if using solar or night time electricity

Demand will increase and so depreciation will be low

Capital costs high but low running costs so depends on mileage . I used to commutte weekly from cornwall to london in a 40kwh Zoe with slow charging

If you do lots travel with work I would say Tesla due to infrastructure

Second hand prices have dropped in last 6 months ( they were over inflated recently due to shortage new EVs and do second hand were in some cases selling for more than new )

Look at zap map and assess your daily mileage and route snd whether you have charging stations locally

To install a 7kw wall box will cost approx £1200 done cars come with 3 pin granny charger but this will take twice as long as 7kW wall box

Make sure car has active thermal battery management ie battery is heated and cooled Nissan Leaf doesn’t have this

Go into speak EV website and look at brand and make you are interested in and look at forum

If car can be assessed using a OBD dongle to check battery degradation

Efficiency is key I had a Hyundai ionic 28 kWh and it was very efficient ie upto 7 mikes per kWh

Also if you are needing to rapid charge a lot don’t just look at the peak charging power but the charging curve from 5 to 90% of the battery

North West

Until the charging infrastructure is wheelchair accessible AND the equivalent of a typical estate car boot is available, I will be completely unable to join the EV revolution.

Next time you're looking at public EV charge points, notice that most are placed on plinths or up kerbs that have no wheelchair access. Touchscreen operations are at standing height. I have had to deconstruct my wheelchair to get into every single EV and hybrid taxi I've taken. I cannot go out independently if it needs taking to bits.

I cannot fit a hoist in a low height boot either.

My current car is a diesel Renault Sport Tourer and I would require a boot no smaller than that to be able to continue to be independent.

walsall

Again… when there are new EV’s about that are the same price as a new ford focus then it is a trope… I never said it was perfect, I did say there a lots of reasonable priced models coming

Also… range… the sweet spot for real term range at the moment is somewhere between 250-350 miles, my Prius has a 40 litre tank… at 50mpg that is about a 425 mile range

The electric range is getting better and better… "

Start at £26k for a focus petrol, start at £33k for a focus ev.

That’s not a trope.

walsall

"Iv have a Car through work via salary sacrifice and it’s an ev it’s amazing my favourite one was the Renault megane so high spec it surprised me.

I’m a massive car geek and always said I’d never have a French car due to the reliability and I was proven VERY wrong so nice and powerful "

I’ve driven one of those, they do get away from the traffic lights a bit lively!

Hastings

"I have had electric vehicles since 2007

They are the future

Main benefits

Zero RFL at the moment

Zero maintenance

Low cost per mile if using solar or night time electricity

Demand will increase and so depreciation will be low

Capital costs high but low running costs so depends on mileage . I used to commutte weekly from cornwall to london in a 40kwh Zoe with slow charging

If you do lots travel with work I would say Tesla due to infrastructure

Second hand prices have dropped in last 6 months ( they were over inflated recently due to shortage new EVs and do second hand were in some cases selling for more than new )

Look at zap map and assess your daily mileage and route snd whether you have charging stations locally

To install a 7kw wall box will cost approx £1200 done cars come with 3 pin granny charger but this will take twice as long as 7kW wall box

Make sure car has active thermal battery management ie battery is heated and cooled Nissan Leaf doesn’t have this

Go into speak EV website and look at brand and make you are interested in and look at forum

If car can be assessed using a OBD dongle to check battery degradation

Efficiency is key I had a Hyundai ionic 28 kWh and it was very efficient ie upto 7 mikes per kWh

Also if you are needing to rapid charge a lot don’t just look at the peak charging power but the charging curve from 5 to 90% of the battery "

UKPN came yesterday to up grade my power from 60A to 100A so could have a 7kw charger installed but it did not happen as the cable is to old and to low.

Check you can have a charger first or it will be public points only.

Hastings

"Until the charging infrastructure is wheelchair accessible AND the equivalent of a typical estate car boot is available, I will be completely unable to join the EV revolution.

Next time you're looking at public EV charge points, notice that most are placed on plinths or up kerbs that have no wheelchair access. Touchscreen operations are at standing height. I have had to deconstruct my wheelchair to get into every single EV and hybrid taxi I've taken. I cannot go out independently if it needs taking to bits.

My current car is a diesel Renault Sport Tourer and I would require a boot no smaller than that to be able to continue to be independent. "

I'm with you there is a long way to go and not seen one disabled bay with an adapted charger.

Newcastle and Gateshead

That’s not a trope."

See you misunderstood…. £26k for a focus petrol…. £26k for an MG4

walsall

That’s not a trope.

See you misunderstood…. £26k for a focus petrol…. £26k for an MG4 "

Not like for like though is it ?

Ford vs Chinese MG.

Newcastle and Gateshead

That’s not a trope.

See you misunderstood…. £26k for a focus petrol…. £26k for an MG4

Not like for like though is it ?

Ford vs Chinese MG.

"

You are right… one is potentially car of the year… the other isn’t!

But as cars go… actually they are a good comparison

Bexley

"Until the charging infrastructure is wheelchair accessible AND the equivalent of a typical estate car boot is available, I will be completely unable to join the EV revolution.

My current car is a diesel Renault Sport Tourer and I would require a boot no smaller than that to be able to continue to be independent. "

...and will an electric car go over Winter Hill in the snow? !!!

"

They're great, go for it.

"Being a petrol head (so I am biased to burning dinosaurs to power my car) if I were to give any kind of serious advice towards electric motors, get a hybrid, you get the best of both worlds"

Never buy a hybrid unless you are spending serious money, they're basically shit.

"Don't do it. Unless you only drive local and can charge on your own drive, perhaps from your own solar. Otherwise avoid as they are nothing but a big money sink. "

This isn't true.

North West

My current car is a diesel Renault Sport Tourer and I would require a boot no smaller than that to be able to continue to be independent.

...and will an electric car go over Winter Hill in the snow? !!!"

It's not me that goes dogging in the snow, it's that dude from Preston

"Well electric cars are most likely the future, but they are definitely not the present.

Overpriced and under ranged."

Not true either.

"I need to replace my car. Ive got about 10k. Id think of an ev but cant get one for that sort of money. So petrol it is. "

You won't get anything second hand for that price, it's not worth it. Buying new however is, if you can afford it of course, leasing may be an option for some.

have a look on youtube...they come with their own cremation kit..??

Li-ion fires are concerning. "

They aren't. And, you're already driving on 50 litres of fuel, basically a bomb.

"Internal combustion engines every day.

Electric cars are no fun and the infrastructure at present is crap. "

More nonsense.

The fastest car 0 to 60 is a Tesla.

By *2000ManMan  over a year ago

Worthing

I'd consider the fact that your journeys will be a worry. 'Do you have enough charge for there and back' will be a constant thought both before and during the journey. At present, there is no proper infrastructure so charging stops if travelling far requires careful planning.

"With the latest EVs unless you're journeys are over 250 miles they are fine, serving costs are far less, running costs are less if charging at home and another same as petrol if charging at a charge station. "

Absolutely.

Bexley

"

Never buy a hybrid unless you are spending serious money, they're basically shit."

Not quite sure how that squares with many thousands of mini cab drivers who have made the Prius their choice.

North West

It interests me that EV enthusiasts never respond to the issue of the public infrastructure being largely inaccessible to disabled drivers: https://www.standard.co.uk/optimist/plug-it-in/an-end-to-discrimination-for-disabled-ev-drivers-b1035865.html

And the fact that it's nigh on impossible to make fully wheelchair accessible EVs due to the way thr batteries have to be installed (can't share link as not a "news" website, but easy to validate by searching online about wheelchair accessible EVs)

Disabled people often rely on their cars/vans, due to the fact public transport is still very inaccessible in many places, or cannot be used independently and thus is a massive risk for being left behind (e.g. I was recruited abandoned on a train at Manchester Airport by the guard, who fucked off home. I had to get a member of the public to fetch station staff to deploy the manual and very heavy ramp for which a special key is needed).

North West

*RECENTLY abandoned.....

"Hubby has one as company car. Other than it's cheap to use locally I dislike it. Infrastructure isn't there, range is not great, and it's way too complicated,. Oh and it won't move if driver has no seat belt..very annoying when you just want to drive 6ft through a gate and get out to shut said gate to be fair the seatbelt thing isn't an EV thing. My petrol new car does the same x

Mine allows you to drive, up to a certain speed then beeps you into submission. "

The speed warning can probably be switched off if you look into it.

"

Never buy a hybrid unless you are spending serious money, they're basically shit.

Not quite sure how that squares with many thousands of mini cab drivers who have made the Prius their choice.

"

They don't have a choice, they need to go hybrid if they want to enter certain city centres.

It's just a tool to them, a way off making money, they won't shell out big big money just to drive d*unk people around.

North West

"

They don't have a choice, they need to go hybrid if they want to enter certain city centres.

It's just a tool to them, a way off making money, they won't shell out big big money just to drive d*unk people around."

Most taxis are leased. If driving for a big taxi firm, they will be effectively a type of company car.

"I'd consider the fact that your journeys will be a worry. 'Do you have enough charge for there and back' will be a constant thought both before and during the journey. At present, there is no proper infrastructure so charging stops if travelling far requires careful planning."
it doesn't require that careful planning tbh. Most of my round journies are well within my range (250miles). And even with longer journeys it's fairly easy to find a charge point to top up.

This does assume you can top up at home etc, and so are generally running in a fullish tank.

I had a lot more anxiety from running close to empty on ICE than I've ever had on my EV, as I always put off stopping at a station until I'm below a quarter of a tank. But with EV I top up every few days whilst parked.

I have an EV and won't go back.

I can charge at home which makes a huge difference. Vs petrol I think it's easier day to day but harder long distance. However it's not as bad as you may first think - more just picking which services to stop for a piss. In the two years I have had it, It's only maybe once a quarter that I need to worry about charging en route so definitely a net positive.

The key thing is, on long journeys you don't go from empty to full, you go empty to enough to get to the next

Stop/home which is much quicker. The charge rate slows as the battery fills.

I have even gone to south of France in my EV stopping to charge every few hours. No issue at all and never stopped just to charge or had to wait for the charge. By the time I had ordered my McDonald's for lunch or had my comfort break, the car was ready for the next leg. Didn't stop for longer or more frequently than those in petrol cars doing the same trip.

There is a lot of infrastructure improvements needed for mass adoption for sure but it's not all doom and gloom

By *izzy.Woman  over a year ago

Stoke area

"It interests me that EV enthusiasts never respond to the issue of the public infrastructure being largely inaccessible to disabled drivers: https://www.standard.co.uk/optimist/plug-it-in/an-end-to-discrimination-for-disabled-ev-drivers-b1035865.html

And the fact that it's nigh on impossible to make fully wheelchair accessible EVs due to the way thr batteries have to be installed (can't share link as not a "news" website, but easy to validate by searching online about wheelchair accessible EVs)

Disabled people often rely on their cars/vans, due to the fact public transport is still very inaccessible in many places, or cannot be used independently and thus is a massive risk for being left behind (e.g. I was recruited abandoned on a train at Manchester Airport by the guard, who fucked off home. I had to get a member of the public to fetch station staff to deploy the manual and very heavy ramp for which a special key is needed)."

As someone with a progressive disability who owns an EV I'm very aware of how inaccessible public chargers are. I'm aware of a wheelchair user who regularly campaigns about it and is in talks with many of the companies who install them. As with all things it seems, considering the needs of the disabled appears to be an after thought.

I had to have a new home charger fitted this month and that's smaller with a lighter weight cable attached compared to the one I've had previously.

North West

"It interests me that EV enthusiasts never respond to the issue of the public infrastructure being largely inaccessible to disabled drivers: https://www.standard.co.uk/optimist/plug-it-in/an-end-to-discrimination-for-disabled-ev-drivers-b1035865.html

Disabled people often rely on their cars/vans, due to the fact public transport is still very inaccessible in many places, or cannot be used independently and thus is a massive risk for being left behind (e.g. I was recruited abandoned on a train at Manchester Airport by the guard, who fucked off home. I had to get a member of the public to fetch station staff to deploy the manual and very heavy ramp for which a special key is needed).

As someone with a progressive disability who owns an EV I'm very aware of how inaccessible public chargers are. I'm aware of a wheelchair user who regularly campaigns about it and is in talks with many of the companies who install them. As with all things it seems, considering the needs of the disabled appears to be an after thought.

I had to have a new home charger fitted this month and that's smaller with a lighter weight cable attached compared to the one I've had previously. "

Yes, there's lots of campaigning and a new (optional!) British Standard for accessible EV points, but how long will it take? Disabled people are already being priced out of driving conventional vehicles via the ULEZ and similar zones, but often have no reasonable alternative. Disabled people, such as Dame Tanny Grey-Thompson, have B campaigning about inaccessibility of trains, but next to naff all has changed!

Newcastle and Gateshead

Disabled people often rely on their cars/vans, due to the fact public transport is still very inaccessible in many places, or cannot be used independently and thus is a massive risk for being left behind (e.g. I was recruited abandoned on a train at Manchester Airport by the guard, who fucked off home. I had to get a member of the public to fetch station staff to deploy the manual and very heavy ramp for which a special key is needed)."

I’ll talk about this… I absolutely admit that all the infrastructure isn’t there yet… but it will do, in Tesla superstation there are disabled bays and yes for this to work there are going to need to be more

And in the design changes there will need to be for petrol stations to be changed into charging stations I hope they think about that in the designs….

Is everything perfect at the moment with the rollout and changes that will need to be made… no

Is it as bad as some petrol engine owners seem to make it out to be… no

As with everything.. it will improve and the technology will improve and the infrastructure will improve…. I remember the first Nissan leafs… range was crap, max charging speed was rubbish…

From there we now have a huge network of rapid car chargers (not saying we have enough yet before people jump on me!) where most cars can do a 10-80% charge in 20-30 minutes

No one is saying we have to change everything tomorrow…. It will get there

this does suck. The infrastructure needs to evolve all around and this is one part. There are a load of other areas.

But now is the time to get it right.

Likewise EV cars.

Unfortunately we are still at early adopter stage and they'd likely focus on as large a market as possible.

More nonsense.

The fastest car 0 to 60 is a Tesla. "

your obviously not a petrol head.. speed does not equal fun and the infrastructure is still woefully inadequate.

By *UGGYBEAR2015Man  over a year ago

BRIDPORT

More nonsense.

The fastest car 0 to 60 is a Tesla. "

Unless your sole objective is racing people of the traffic lights then 0 to 60 times don’t really figure.

Having a lot of fun in a car ( in the appropriate environment) encompasses so much more.

More nonsense.

Unless your sole objective is racing people of the traffic lights then 0 to 60 times don’t really figure.

Having a lot of fun in a car ( in the appropriate environment) encompasses so much more. "

tbh cars become a lot less fun as soon as you move away from a manual.

BroadwayWR11

"Being a petrol head (so I am biased to burning dinosaurs to power my car) if I were to give any kind of serious advice towards electric motors, get a hybrid, you get the best of both worlds

Never buy a hybrid unless you are spending serious money, they're basically shit."

I have run Toyota / Lexus hybrids for 12 years, since 2011 when I bought mmy first Lexus CT.

Granted, perfect they are not, but neither is anything else - at any price.

In all of those years I have NEVER experienced any problems, totally reliable, rattle free, trouble free motoring with helpful dealers - exactly as it should be - although many makers still seem to be unable to grasp that principle.

Now with up to 10 years warranty if Toyota service the car what's not to like!

The car in front is a Toyota!

I try not to get drawn into the debate on EV ICE.

Being a mechanic petrol head, I have my opinions but I don’t need to voice them as it can get heated.

But I won’t be going over to EV myself. That’s more a personal choice then anything.

By *UGGYBEAR2015Man  over a year ago

BRIDPORT

More nonsense.

Having a lot of fun in a car ( in the appropriate environment) encompasses so much more. tbh cars become a lot less fun as soon as you move away from a manual. "

Agreed.

The best laugh I had was listening to my mate try and drive my car with its sc/cr dog box

By *tephanjMan  over a year ago

Kettering

It's cheap at the moment to run a normal car. Saying that I wouldn't mind an EV but got nowhere to charge it, as I live on a terrace street and can't even park outside my own house most of the time

BroadwayWR11

I believe that it is fair to say that for some people an EV is a cost effective solution to motoring.

But for most of us it is not.

Whether if or when it ever will be is as yet unknown.

Meanwhile - when in doubt - best do nowt - is my way of thinking.

North West

My problem is that people are already being penalised for driving conventional fuel vehicles, via ULEZ and other mechanisms, whilst the alternatives are simply not available or impractical. My 2012 diesel Renault estate does not meet ULEZ requirements so if I need to drive into a city with those zones, I have to pay full whack. As a wheelchair user, my diesel Renault has been adapted to have a boot hoist and a hand operated clutch (at my OWN expense, by the way). However it does not meet the criteria of a WAV because the adaptations are not substantial enough and/or not built into the original design. The public transport alternatives in this locality are very limited or absent. I could not attend my workplace and take my daughter to school in the morning with the current options for accessible public transport. It would take me well over 2.5hrs each way, to do what in my car takes under 1hr.

Until the infrastructure is there, accessible and there are affordable, suitable vehicles with proper boot space, then they should not be penalising disabled drivers. But they are already, and other cities want to follow suit.

Any public transport option from my home involves self propelling in a manual wheelchair, on rough pavements with absent dropped kerbs, for just short of 1 mile. In the rain, ice and snow, this is next impossible/extremely dangerous. One is soaking wet and with frozen hands within minutes. Doing it whilst getting a 6yo to school with multiple PE, lunch and other bags, plus my own work bag is ridiculous. Etc.

Bexley

"

Having a lot of fun in a car ( in the appropriate environment) encompasses so much more. tbh cars become a lot less fun as soon as you move away from a manual. "

Having 'fun' in cars like mine (Japanese home market shagging wagons) depends more on where you are parked than on what the drive train is. At the moment I chop seamlessly between an auto and a manual without giving a thought to the driving mode. It can also be 'fun' to make an automatic box respond to how you use it skillfully, in the knowledge that you are saving fuel by doing so.

My neighbour has a lovely all electric Vivaro van for work. I am most impressed by its design and I can't wait for the Honda, Mazda or Toyota shagging wagon equivalents to filter through to Britain from Japan via the grey import route.

There's generally more 'fun' for swingers in a parked car than a moving one. What we need is somewhere to park up within battery anxiety range!

I dare say that boy racer accessory shops will cater for future generations of "Pop, pop, phut, phut, bang, bang" exhaust afficionados by selling add on sound effects boxes so they can still impress admiring juveniles with their undoubted skill at belting noisily around housing estates, even when all other cars are quiet models aimed at a more civilised market. If not, there will probably be subwoofers installed for those who want to enjoy the 'fun' of tinnitus in later life.

By *atisfy janeWoman  over a year ago

Torquay

The new ID2 fully electric that's coming from VW, based on the Polo, is expected to sell for around £21-22k in the UK.

That's comparable with the entry cost of the current petrol Polo, prices are edging closer to petrol models.

With the vast majority of new VW's being purchased on PCP contracts and most being traded in for newer models after year 3 battery life is all but irrelevant.

BroadwayWR11

"

With the vast majority of new cars being purchased on PCP contracts and most being traded in for newer models after year 3 battery life is all but irrelevant."

Battery life may be less of an issue, range anxiety too may be less of an issue - but finding a working charge point that is not is use when a long way from home remains a huge issue.

Unlike like petrol stations where you pull in anywhere - no apps - no logging in - no faff - just buy your fuel and go.

Simples eh?

North West

We've got a new "benefits" package through work, which includes the ability to lease electric cars. I looked at the Skoda Enyaq, which actually has a suitable boot space for my wheelchair and hoist. I wouldn't actually be able to install the hoist unless I purchase the vehicle outright, but let's ignore that for now. If I buy a brand new Skoda Enyaq via work's salary sacrifice, I'll have to sacrifice about £600 a month. But to get a 2021 model with 5000 miles on the clock would be £380 on PCP.

Hoist - needs wiring into the car electrics and so it's not going to be permissible on PCP or the work lease scheme. I can't afford to buy a new Skoda with a starting price of £38,970

Wales/ All over UK

"

With the vast majority of new cars being purchased on PCP contracts and most being traded in for newer models after year 3 battery life is all but irrelevant.

Battery life may be less of an issue, range anxiety too may be less of an issue - but finding a working charge point that is not is use when a long way from home remains a huge issue.

Unlike like petrol stations where you pull in anywhere - no apps - no logging in - no faff - just buy your fuel and go.

Simples eh?"

Finding a working charging point is becoming less of an issue every day.

I’m in a relatively rural part of west wales but we have charging points at pretty much every major supermarket, most of the council car parks, and a fair few of the leisure businesses…. Hell, they’ve even got them in our local McDonald’s

"

A complete waste of time , everything about them is money money money, a guy recently arrived in Ireland on holiday , hired an electric car , weather was crap , everything was on ..lights , heater , wipers , the battery ran down in a small village , the village had no connection point , he had no choice but to stay there until things were sorted.Personally l wouldn't touch one with a barge pole but each to their own .

"Being a petrol head (so I am biased to burning dinosaurs to power my car) if I were to give any kind of serious advice towards electric motors, get a hybrid, you get the best of both worlds

I have run Toyota / Lexus hybrids for 12 years, since 2011 when I bought mmy first Lexus CT.

Granted, perfect they are not, but neither is anything else - at any price.

In all of those years I have NEVER experienced any problems, totally reliable, rattle free, trouble free motoring with helpful dealers - exactly as it should be - although many makers still seem to be unable to grasp that principle.

Now with up to 10 years warranty if Toyota service the car what's not to like!

The car in front is a Toyota!"

I drive a Toyota Corolla and l totally love it

BroadwayWR11

"

I’m in a relatively rural part of west wales but we have charging points at pretty much every major supermarket, most of the council car parks, and a fair few of the leisure businesses…. Hell, they’ve even got them in our local McDonald’s"

Easy when you know where they are and their availability traits - not quite so easy when a long way from home in a strange unknown area - wet -dark - cold - tired?

By *r_PinkMan  over a year ago

london stratford

My cousin, his wife and his inlaws all have electric cars in Israel.

All are happy with them and eachone raves about the car being fantastic.

If I where to have the cash, I would definitely buy one myself.

Wales/ All over UK

"

I’m in a relatively rural part of west wales but we have charging points at pretty much every major supermarket, most of the council car parks, and a fair few of the leisure businesses…. Hell, they’ve even got them in our local McDonald’s

Easy when you know where they are and their availability traits - not quite so easy when a long way from home in a strange unknown area - wet -dark - cold - tired?"

So the same problems as knowing where the next petrol station is you mean?

By *aughty_Smooth_OperatorMan  over a year ago

Birmingham

If only the chargers at home were as fast as the ones at service station or the fast chargers like Tesla have.

Torquay

"

With the vast majority of new cars being purchased on PCP contracts and most being traded in for newer models after year 3 battery life is all but irrelevant.

Simples eh?"

Unless you drive halfway around the country on a regular basis it's no Biggie.....I can get up to London in our ID3 from South Devon on a single charge, and plug it in at our son's house in Chiswick with no problem.

By *aulupforitMan  over a year ago

Corbridge

Be like when the government told us to buy diesel cars.Electric prices on the up as well.

BroadwayWR11

"

So the same problems as knowing where the next petrol station is you mean?"

I've never had an issue finding a filling station, even in Norway, Finland, Morrocco, and olther sparsley populatedtregions, mainly due to them being well lit and often on main roads or supermarkets, but more often because a 400 - 500 mile ICE range means I can buy when it suits me not when it suits the makers.

As I said, early days, under developed and over priced cars and network, and I am quite happy to let others pave the way if they wish.

By *aulupforitMan  over a year ago

Corbridge

"

Easy when you know where they are and their availability traits - not quite so easy when a long way from home in a strange unknown area - wet -dark - cold - tired?

So the same problems as knowing where the next petrol station is you mean?"

Plenty of petrol stations compared to electric

Wales/ All over UK

"

So the same problems as knowing where the next petrol station is you mean?

I've never had an issue finding a filling station, even in Norway, Finland, Morrocco, and olther sparsley populatedtregions, mainly due to them being well lit and often on main roads or supermarkets, but more often because a 400 - 500 mile ICE range means I can buy when it suits me not when it suits the makers.

As I said, early days, under developed and over priced cars and network, and I am quite happy to let others pave the way if they wish."

The thing is, that’s exactly where EV chargers are too. You’re just assuming a problem exists when it doesn’t, every single EV user here is saying it’s not an issue. Plus they are becoming more widespread too.

I also remember a period last year where there was a huge amount of range anxiety for ICE car users that lasted a fair few weeks… people not knowing where the next station that had fuel was etc…..

But that doesn’t fit the “EV bad!” narrative does it…..

"

Easy when you know where they are and their availability traits - not quite so easy when a long way from home in a strange unknown area - wet -dark - cold - tired?"

zap map.

Tbh, you have a point. However for every inconvenient stop, I'd imagine many will save a fair number if routine refuels.

I was filling up once a week. I'd guess that if you include the detour to the station, any queuing, pussing about with paying etc, it's at least five mins a pop.

So I'm saving 20 mins a month at least. For me, that saving far offsets the odd time I charge away from home, even if I had nowt better to do than wait for the charge. Finding a charge away from home is easier than finding a car park. And often, I'm killing two birds with one stone.

Bexley

"

Unless you drive halfway around the country on a regular basis it's no Biggie.....I can get up to London in our ID3 from South Devon on a single charge, and plug it in at our son's house in Chiswick with no problem."

What about all the people who don't have a convenient family member, etc. with a charging connection?

The people we really need to hear from are they who find themselves inconvenienced by kicking their heels at closed coffee shops while waiting for their turn to plug in, even if they are lucky enough to find a charging location.

I suspect they could well be in an increasing majority.

Torquay

People were having this conversation over a hundred years ago when they said the combustion engine cars would never replace the horse and carts.

I struggle to understand why those that don't want an electric car get themselves in such a tizz about it.....

Torquay

[Removed by poster at 13/04/23 12:04:49]

Torquay

[Removed by poster at 13/04/23 12:05:00]

Torquay

"

Unless you drive halfway around the country on a regular basis it's no Biggie.....I can get up to London in our ID3 from South Devon on a single charge, and plug it in at our son's house in Chiswick with no problem.

What about all the people who don't have a convenient family member, etc. with a charging connection?

The people we really need to hear from are they who find themselves inconvenienced by kicking their heels at closed coffee shops while waiting for their turn to plug in, even if they are lucky enough to find a charging location.

I suspect they could well be in an increasing majority."

Do you REALLY believe that my son's house is my only option in West London for charging my car?, Latest design charging points are springing up everywhere in London.

It really isn't an issue, it's simply an argument that petrol heads use because they don't like electric vehicles.

In days of wagon and horses ,the horses were changed every 20 miles or so ,according to an american gal in the states l met thats how America grew before the railroad. Maybe sooner or later cars could have their batteries swapped ,same way, like a battery screwdriver, with a previously recharged one . I don't know if it is possible moneywise ,who knows.Seems like a good idea to me.

By *3xDECouple  over a year ago

nottingham

The last thing I (mrs) will ever do is buy an electrical car.

I love the sound of a v10 being pushed to its limits.

Hearing the sound of your engine as you’re driving along and knowing by sound the best time to change gear and feeling the complete control you have over it as you’re approaching a bend and accelerating out of it.

A true petrol head will never Want to buy an electric car through choice.

Give me an Audi B7 RS4 saloon (or avant) with a twin oval straight through stainless non resonated exhaust and I will be the happiest and horniest girl in the world

By *2000ManMan  over a year ago

Worthing

Another issue to think about is that if it's moving slowly in a carpark for example, the vehicle cannot be heard. Was in walking in a supermarket carpark and one was overtaking me at my side before I knew it was there. I have good hearing and like to think I'm focused about my surroundings.

North West

"People were having this conversation over a hundred years ago when they said the combustion engine cars would never replace the horse and carts.

I struggle to understand why those that don't want an electric car get themselves in such a tizz about it....."

See comments above about wheelchair accessible chargers and affordable cars large enough to carry my rigid frame wheelchair and suitable for a hoist

Torquay

"People were having this conversation over a hundred years ago when they said the combustion engine cars would never replace the horse and carts.

I struggle to understand why those that don't want an electric car get themselves in such a tizz about it.....

See comments above about wheelchair accessible chargers and affordable cars large enough to carry my rigid frame wheelchair and suitable for a hoist "

You are hardly in the biggest group of typical vehicle purchasers though are you?

There will always be a group within the population that won't be a target audience for mainstream vehicle manufacturers, and they can't reasonably be expected to cover every permutation of vehicle purchaser.

By *obbienormalguyMan  over a year ago

oxford

Owning a electric car is like being a guy on fab..not enough points to plug your lead into when you need juice...

I'd wait 5 years,I'm sure the governments will adjust tax n availability to make these cars easier to own and the manufacturers get the distances up they can go on a charge..

North West

See comments above about wheelchair accessible chargers and affordable cars large enough to carry my rigid frame wheelchair and suitable for a hoist

You are hardly in the biggest group of typical vehicle purchasers though are you?

There will always be a group within the population that won't be a target audience for mainstream vehicle manufacturers, and they can't reasonably be expected to cover every permutation of vehicle purchaser.

"

Can you understand why I "get in a tizz" when there are already punitive financial penalties for driving a diesel car and when public transport is a complete pile of shite for wheelchair users? Or am I supposed to sit and fester at home, not work, not take my daughter to school etc?!

Some people are "in a tizz" for legitimate reasons. There are no good reasons to exclude disabled people from EV charging infrastructure, other than sheer idiocy the ignorance from the people who design the things. Ditto for the cars. If they can make an electric bus, they can make a decent estate car.

Dorchester

Exactly i watched a programme last night of a swap from petrol to electric it was a BMW and they transformed it i wouldn't say i liked the end result it was rather labour intensive and i think its range was 140 miles i mean thats no good for long journeys but it can be done buying a new electric car is very expensive but lots of incentives to help you

Bexley

"

I suspect they could well be in an increasing majority.

Do you REALLY believe that my son's house is my only option in West London for charging my car?, Latest design charging points are springing up everywhere in London.

It really isn't an issue, it's simply an argument that petrol heads use because they don't like electric vehicles.

"

Believe me, I am very pro electric as a drive train and am far from being a petrolhead.

If anything, I have been a dieselhead for the sheer enjoyment of torque and pulling power without racing up and down the box. Electric automotion must be as good if not better.

I simply don't accept that using public charging points can possibly be as simple and fast as pulling in at a pump and filling with piped fuel into a tank and being on one's way again within a few minutes. It is farcical to suggest that the electrical equivalent is comparable in terms of time taken.

Fine if you you can charge at home when the car doesn't need to be used. I am very tempted by something like the Citroen Ami (were such a model not French - I have said before that my ideal electric car is more likely to get made by Bajaj in India) to use for all my local trips, whilst keeping a compliant diesel utility MPV for longer runs and holidays/camping.

Nor am I knocking the concept of poodling around a retail outlet while waiting for a charge. However, we don't always have that much spare time on our hands!