FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Decorating

Decorating

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *naswingdress OP   Woman  over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

Less edgy (!) spin off.

What plans do you have for your place, or what did you do most recently?

I'm redoing my whole place and it's a nightmare, but I'm loving the results.

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Its so lovely being able to transform your home and make it reflect who you are.

Sadly I rent my house and it's got to remain fairly neutral.

I add prints, accessories and little things to make it reflect me more.

By *olly_chromaticTV/TS  over a year ago

Stockport

Do you want to come do my place OP? Getting well overdue for a good sorting out...

By *opman121Man  over a year ago

stoke on trent

Paint paper decoration just love to do

By *ryandseeMan  over a year ago

Yorkshire

I am just waiting to find a good decorator to do the whole place. I mean a professional one of course

By *avinaTVTV/TS  over a year ago

Transsexual Transylvania

Yeahhh. I rent. I'll unfortunately never be able to buy my own place, so anything drastic is off the table. Sigh.

Manchester (she/her)

"Do you want to come do my place OP? Getting well overdue for a good sorting out..."

When I've finished mine, sure

By *eroLondonMan  over a year ago

Mayfair

"Do you want to come do my place OP? Getting well overdue for a good sorting out...

·

When I've finished mine, sure "

.....so that's in 2026?

"Less edgy (!) spin off.

I'm redoing my whole place and it's a nightmare, but I'm loving the results."

I am redoing most of my house atm..

New bathroom completely tiled, new kitchen..loads of repair jobs and decorating throughout.

Like you say a nightmare but when you finish a room, the results are uplifting..

Manchester (she/her)

"Do you want to come do my place OP? Getting well overdue for a good sorting out...

·

When I've finished mine, sure

.....so that's in 2026? "

piss off

By *elinda BeaverCouple  over a year ago

Nottinghamshire

Mr D is currently topless painting the living room. It seems to be the season for freshening up. He looks

If there weren't 4 others wandering around he would get it!

Manchester (she/her)

"Less edgy (!) spin off.

New bathroom completely tiled, new kitchen..loads of repair jobs and decorating throughout.

Like you say a nightmare but when you finish a room, the results are uplifting.."

I painted the bathroom this weekend and... not having to think about using the bathroom is a luxury I didn't know was a luxury.

By *he love catsCouple  over a year ago

South Wales

Top to bottom. Got the scaffolding up for the new bedroom starting in two weeks, followed by an attic room, all the bedrooms redone, hallways stair's and landing, new bathrooms, the living room, then finally the garden's landscaped, the only work completed so far is our garage and kitchen.

Recently done our downstairs toilet and currently working on the garden over the summer. Next big job will be re-tiling the kitchen and upstairs bathroom, can't stand the tiles they used when the house was built! Love working on making the house more "us" even though it takes me a bit longer to do.

Sir x

Manchester (she/her)

"Top to bottom. Got the scaffolding up for the new bedroom starting in two weeks, followed by an attic room, all the bedrooms redone, hallways stair's and landing, new bathrooms, the living room, then finally the garden's landscaped, the only work completed so far is our garage and kitchen."

By the time I'm done there'll be very little left that was here before I started, but there are some bits I don't have the money for yet

At the moment I'm painting everything and replacing bathroom and kitchen floors.

South Wales

"Top to bottom. Got the scaffolding up for the new bedroom starting in two weeks, followed by an attic room, all the bedrooms redone, hallways stair's and landing, new bathrooms, the living room, then finally the garden's landscaped, the only work completed so far is our garage and kitchen.

By the time I'm done there'll be very little left that was here before I started, but there are some bits I don't have the money for yet

At the moment I'm painting everything and replacing bathroom and kitchen floors."

We had to start on the kitchen and garage first as they were the worst but needing more room now we are converting a 3 bedroom to a 5, so may as well do the lot while the mess is here, it's going to be a long haul though and we are not going to be able to do much else this year.

By *illan-KillashMan  over a year ago

London/Sussex/Surrey/Berks/Hants

"Less edgy (!) spin off.

I'm redoing my whole place and it's a nightmare, but I'm loving the results."

Easter project, putting new flooring down in my bedroom. Long overdue.

Next project, feature wall in my lounge with brick slips.

After that, taking out part of a cupboard wall and putting in 3 sets of remvoving triangular display shelves. Plan is to fill each of the 9 sides with something different, books, ornaments, "stuff". If I get bored with the look of the wall, spin them around and make the "wall" look completely different.

Manchester (she/her)

"Top to bottom. Got the scaffolding up for the new bedroom starting in two weeks, followed by an attic room, all the bedrooms redone, hallways stair's and landing, new bathrooms, the living room, then finally the garden's landscaped, the only work completed so far is our garage and kitchen.

At the moment I'm painting everything and replacing bathroom and kitchen floors.

We had to start on the kitchen and garage first as they were the worst but needing more room now we are converting a 3 bedroom to a 5, so may as well do the lot while the mess is here, it's going to be a long haul though and we are not going to be able to do much else this year."

I hear that. I'm finding the will to fuck up room at a time to paint. I'm not building thank god, but there's just... stuff everywhere that I can't do anything with. And I'm looking forward to not finding this stuff interesting anymore, it's a time suck.

Manchester (she/her)

"Less edgy (!) spin off.

Easter project, putting new flooring down in my bedroom. Long overdue.

Next project, feature wall in my lounge with brick slips.

After that, taking out part of a cupboard wall and putting in 3 sets of remvoving triangular display shelves. Plan is to fill each of the 9 sides with something different, books, ornaments, "stuff". If I get bored with the look of the wall, spin them around and make the "wall" look completely different."

That sounds really cool.

A longer term project for my place is to rip out the carpet and replace it with cork. (I'm in a flat, not ground floor, so cork works for acoustics. Want to get rid of carpet because it's harder to keep spotlessly clean)

By *hrek101Man  over a year ago

Herts

New flooring in the living room, hated the carpets. Then painting kitchen cupboards.

Manchester (she/her)

"New flooring in the living room, hated the carpets. Then painting kitchen cupboards."

I'm measuring to buy the paint for kitchen cupboards this weekend. B&Q three for two offer again

By *oo..Woman  over a year ago

Boo's World

I've just extended and completed my whole house so no way ever again am I doing any decorating, a years worth of hard work was enough to break me!

Manchester (she/her)

"I've just extended and completed my whole house so no way ever again am I doing any decorating, a years worth of hard work was enough to break me! "

I've only just started, ask me how I'm doing in six months

By *ryandseeMan  over a year ago

Yorkshire

I should not be reading this thread. You are depressing me. So much to do, you can't get decent trades around here and not good/no time to do myself as I used to. Any good trades people come to the rescue, pretty please

South Wales

We had to start on the kitchen and garage first as they were the worst but needing more room now we are converting a 3 bedroom to a 5, so may as well do the lot while the mess is here, it's going to be a long haul though and we are not going to be able to do much else this year.

I hear that. I'm finding the will to fuck up room at a time to paint. I'm not building thank god, but there's just... stuff everywhere that I can't do anything with. And I'm looking forward to not finding this stuff interesting anymore, it's a time suck."

Yes I hate mess wish I could go somewhere until it's all finished and being the house is almost 150 years old, everything is more of a challenge.

Manchester (she/her)

"I should not be reading this thread. You are depressing me. So much to do, you can't get decent trades around here and not good/no time to do myself as I used to. Any good trades people come to the rescue, pretty please "

lol I have no professional help

Manchester (she/her)

I hear that. I'm finding the will to fuck up room at a time to paint. I'm not building thank god, but there's just... stuff everywhere that I can't do anything with. And I'm looking forward to not finding this stuff interesting anymore, it's a time suck.

Yes I hate mess wish I could go somewhere until it's all finished and being the house is almost 150 years old, everything is more of a challenge."

Oh god I can't even imagine. This block of flats is only about 20 years old and I still have to deal with... stuff. (Oil based paint on the skirting boards. ugh)

Our plans are to get the back garden fixed before summer. Lifting up the grass and replacing it with artificial because the kids are just killing it when they are playing outside. Whether it gets done or not is a different story. The thought of it is tiring enough

South Wales

Yes I hate mess wish I could go somewhere until it's all finished and being the house is almost 150 years old, everything is more of a challenge.

Oh god I can't even imagine. This block of flats is only about 20 years old and I still have to deal with... stuff. (Oil based paint on the skirting boards. ugh)"

Asbestos and lead piping dealt with as they were the most dangerous things, nevermind it will be nice to sit back when it's all done.

By *oinerbillMan  over a year ago

warrington

renewing the whole bathroom at the moment, then in a month or so im changing the conservatory to a orangerie - lucky im in the trade as bi fold doors and lantern roofs cost a fortune

House party this summer !!!

By *emorefridaCouple  over a year ago

La la land

The list is endless, but just bought a dust extractor so I'll generate less mess hopefully when doing DIY. In the process of doing the bedroom. Next is the porch so researching mitre saws, going to collect a sample tile on my way home from work. I weirdly kinda like DIY, though I prefer the demolition bit the most

By *andyfloss2000Woman  over a year ago

ashford

Plan to do the kitchen next! Have water mark on ceiling am going to attempt to paint the cuboard fronts as well after July when I retire ! Then gradually whole house! On a tight budget! Just done one of daughters room which she bought the materials for and there a fair bit left over so use those somewhere x

We've got the decorators in too - we're both crap with colours/styles etc so we got our designer friend to do their thing first. I used to quite enjoy decorating until I started to be able to afford somebody else to do it. Now it's much more fun

Manchester (she/her)

Oh god I can't even imagine. This block of flats is only about 20 years old and I still have to deal with... stuff. (Oil based paint on the skirting boards. ugh)

Asbestos and lead piping dealt with as they were the most dangerous things, nevermind it will be nice to sit back when it's all done. "

omg. nope nope nope

By *ife NinjaMan  over a year ago

Dunfermline

Rent mine. Landlord has started being arsey, so painting before I go. White. Not at all what I like.

When I owned a house, it was reds, browns and blacks. I'll never own a house again

Manchester (she/her)

"Rent mine. Landlord has started being arsey, so painting before I go. White. Not at all what I like.

When I owned a house, it was reds, browns and blacks. I'll never own a house again "

I'm getting rid of the white. Except the woodwork and ceilings.

Dunfermline

"Rent mine. Landlord has started being arsey, so painting before I go. White. Not at all what I like.

When I owned a house, it was reds, browns and blacks. I'll never own a house again

I'm getting rid of the white. Except the woodwork and ceilings."

Ceilings are a pain. At least there's no artex

By *2000ManMan  over a year ago

Worthing

Last job was new carpets a couple of years ago. I lived with old ones for years while rest was done.

By *icecouple561Couple  over a year ago
Forum Mod

East Sussex

We're about to start redecorating throughout and putting a new fence up. The mist recent thing we did was probably some new shelves.

This place needed an awful lot of work doing when we moved in and we're refining all that now.

Manchester (she/her)

I'm getting rid of the white. Except the woodwork and ceilings.

Ceilings are a pain. At least there's no artex "

I'm having fun with the polyfilla. Fuck knows what upstairs are doing, but there are holes everywhere in the fucking ceiling.

By *ong-leggedblondWoman  over a year ago

Next Door

Painting the kitchen this weekend.

Cupboards, tiles and walls. New worktops and then new flooring.

Once I've done that I going todo the bathroom.

I wallpapered my bedroom in Nov last year.

Hopefully will decorated lounge and hallway/stairs before the end of the year.

By *hrek101Man  over a year ago

Herts

"New flooring in the living room, hated the carpets. Then painting kitchen cupboards.

I'm measuring to buy the paint for kitchen cupboards this weekend. B&Q three for two offer again "

Can I ask what paint brand, type you went with?

Manchester (she/her)

"New flooring in the living room, hated the carpets. Then painting kitchen cupboards.

I'm measuring to buy the paint for kitchen cupboards this weekend. B&Q three for two offer again

Can I ask what paint brand, type you went with?"

Valspar for the colour match. Valspar trade is excellent on the walls - Valspar premium kitchen and bathroom is a little bit patchy and I'm going to have to go back for a third coat.

I'm going to use Valspar trade interior wood/metal for furniture, and add varnish to the kitchen cabinets.

Dulux for the ceiling, Dulux trade for the woodwork.

Zinnser AllCoat 4 in 1 primer for woodwork and furniture.

By *J5551959Man  over a year ago

Alford

I've just decorated my landing and stairs. Ceilings painted and walls papered.

It's a Victorian house, steep stairs and a high ceiling so it was a case of ladders and a scaffold plank to do the high parts.

Never again! Handling 16 feet of wallpaper perched on a scaffold plank = lots of swearing, aching back and sore arms.

When I move I'm buying a bungalow

By * and M lookingCouple  over a year ago

Worcester

Last year was a full kitchen upgrade and 6 months before the bathrooms and en-suites.

Next will be a refresh for the lounge and dining room and a new sofa.

I move into my forever home tomorrow! & I have so many plans for it excited!!

Manchester (she/her)

"I move into my forever home tomorrow! & I have so many plans for it excited!!"

Dunfermline

Valspar for the colour match. Valspar trade is excellent on the walls - Valspar premium kitchen and bathroom is a little bit patchy and I'm going to have to go back for a third coat.

I'm going to use Valspar trade interior wood/metal for furniture, and add varnish to the kitchen cabinets.

Zinnser AllCoat 4 in 1 primer for woodwork and furniture."

Always go trade. Best deals and they know there shit inside out

Manchester (she/her)

Always go trade. Best deals and they know there shit inside out "

Oh I'm using the trade paint myself. I know jackshit about anything

I didn't go trade for kitchen/bathroom because it's not available. So premium over regular.

Dunfermline

Always go trade. Best deals and they know there shit inside out

Oh I'm using the trade paint myself. I know jackshit about anything

I didn't go trade for kitchen/bathroom because it's not available. So premium over regular. "

I got 20% off for nothing. Stuff they sold me is good. I also know jack shit about paint.

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman  over a year ago

King's Crustacean

"Less edgy (!) spin off.

Like you say a nightmare but when you finish a room, the results are uplifting.."

Did you plumb in a bath ?

King's Crustacean

"Painting the kitchen this weekend.

Cupboards, tiles and walls. New worktops and then new flooring.

Once I've done that I going todo the bathroom.

I wallpapered my bedroom in Nov last year.

Hopefully will decorated lounge and hallway/stairs before the end of the year. "

Who puts your new worktops on ?

I do it for a living so I’m quite literally either always up a ladder or covered in paint

Once I fell down a whole flight of stairs

Dunfermline

"I do it for a living so I’m quite literally either always up a ladder or covered in paint

Once I fell down a whole flight of stairs "

Covered in paint

"I do it for a living so I’m quite literally either always up a ladder or covered in paint

Covered in paint "

Luckily this was before I started the paint!

By *orraine999Woman  over a year ago

Somewhere

I’ve recently painted my kitchen and replaced the old countertops with granite countertops

Dunfermline

Covered in paint

Luckily this was before I started the paint! "

You in paint sounds divine

King's Crustacean

"I’ve recently painted my kitchen and replaced the old countertops with granite countertops "

Did you do the worktops on your own ?

Dunfermline

"I’ve recently painted my kitchen and replaced the old countertops with granite countertops

Did you do the worktops on your own ?"

They're a bugger. Get a pro in for that

Manchester (she/her)

Once I fell down a whole flight of stairs "

That scares the crap out of me

By *atricia ParnelWoman  over a year ago

In a town full of colours

I have a neutral colour preference, so when I display my photography it really pops off the walls

By *uri00620Woman  over a year ago

Croydon

Zero practical skills but am painting my place. Have to do it at night as I can't get it done in the day. Getting a ladder out at 10pm isn't great

By *oding1Man  over a year ago

marlow

The old adage is so true!!!

The bloke who invented fucking should be decorated.

AND

The bloke who invented decorating need fucking

By *illan-KillashMan  over a year ago

London/Sussex/Surrey/Berks/Hants

Oh god I can't even imagine. This block of flats is only about 20 years old and I still have to deal with... stuff. (Oil based paint on the skirting boards. ugh)"

You're lucky, I'm in an apartment block that's a firetrap.

Non compliant cladding, no fire breaks.

And fucking idiots who think it's a good idea to have a barbecue on their balconies.

Never mind, I'm only on the 16th and 17th floors.

Twats.

Somewhere

"I’ve recently painted my kitchen and replaced the old countertops with granite countertops

Did you do the worktops on your own ?

They're a bugger. Get a pro in for that "

God no…got a pro for that

Somewhere

Did you do the worktops on your own ?"

Hired a pro

» Add a new message to this topic