FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Macros. Does it work?

Macros. Does it work?

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

God knows how many diets or ways to lose weight. Keto, fasting, the list goes on. God knows how many different exercises, cardio classes etc.

It's a minefield right??

By the time you've researched them all you'd give up and think fuck it I'm having a pizza.

But I'm curious about macros.

Does anyone do it and does it work for weight loss or losing body fat?

And for the love of God please don't argue over it on the thread.

And yes I know I'm small, but I'm 45 and at my heaviest, no I don't have a body dismorphia or eating disorder, I'm just a smaller version of any woman that can put weight on and gain body fat. And if I don't start being mindful at some point then it's only going to be a bigger problem.

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *avexxMan  over a year ago

cheshire

what is macros,, you have a nice figure as you are

By *rder66Man  over a year ago

Tatooine

I can only speak from what I do and it works for me.

I do yoga and strenght yoga for most of my life.

I also have do intermittent fasting.

5am: Yoga and meditation

6am: Kale, various berries and seeds, wheat grass, spirilina in a juice.

6pm Dinner

7pm yoga and kettelbells then sleep.

I also do not drink acholhol and try to stay away from junk food although my kryptonite is cheesecake.

But you are you and I hope you find what works.

By *ou only live onceMan  over a year ago

London

Others will be much more expert than me, but yes, I think they work (for me anyway). Not a tool specifically, but a reliable way to track broadly, and make sure you're keeping up your protein etc.

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

I have friends that swear by it, but they're massively into the gym and fitness not sure if that makes a difference or not

By *red333Man  over a year ago

Dorchester

Diets don't really work they leave you feeling hungry the best thing I've found is no carbs you can eat as many non carb veg as you like plus a meat either chicken or fish

By *avexxMan  over a year ago

cheshire

"Diets don't really work they leave you feeling hungry the best thing I've found is no carbs you can eat as many non carb veg as you like plus a meat either chicken or fish "
,, dont forget the chips with that fish and 3 rounds of bread,,

By *moochyvibesMan  over a year ago

Nearby

Intermittent fasting and a weights session day then next day cardio, black coffee half an hour before you workout. Resistance bands and vibration plate x

By *rMonkeyMan  over a year ago

Somewhere

Yes, tracking macros and adjusting according to goals can help, coupled with consistent training.

I'm currently dropping fat very slowly while adding lean body mass, and staying the same weight.

London

"Diets don't really work they leave you feeling hungry the best thing I've found is no carbs you can eat as many non carb veg as you like plus a meat either chicken or fish "

Some might argue that cutting an entire food group out is a diet!

"what is macros,, you have a nice figure as you are"

I thought it was about Microsoft Excel

By *iscean_dreamMan  over a year ago

Llanelli

I thought this was about photography

By *ehindHerEyesCouple  over a year ago

SomewhereOnlyWeKnow

There are a lot of yeses coming your way

Yes it’s a complete midfield and I would say that you either do a lot of research or talk to someone who knows about these things.

Yes tracking macros does work for many different goals but you have to be very meticulous with it. What makes it more difficult odd that if you are using an app to track them the apps aren’t always accurate enough.

I hope this has helped just a little

Marc

Dorchester

"Diets don't really work they leave you feeling hungry the best thing I've found is no carbs you can eat as many non carb veg as you like plus a meat either chicken or fish ,, dont forget the chips with that fish and 3 rounds of bread,,"
lol

Dorchester

"Diets don't really work they leave you feeling hungry the best thing I've found is no carbs you can eat as many non carb veg as you like plus a meat either chicken or fish

Some might argue that cutting an entire food group out is a diet! "

lifestyle change

"what is macros,, you have a nice figure as you are

I thought it was about Microsoft Excel "

Me too, I got all excited

When it comes to food, I need simplicity or I can't follow it.

Fasting, lots of water and eating less calories is all that works for me.

By *ellhungvweMan  over a year ago

Cheltenham

Macros work for me. I don’t actively track stuff now as I know what I am eating and how much as I tend to eat the same types of things consistently. I know what I need to eat to put on weight and what I have to do to lose it and can adjust as needed.

The key, for me, is to be consistent over a week - if you have a bad day (or two ) then it doesn’t matter in the long run as long you get back in to the habit.

Me too, I got all excited "

Geeeeekkks.

Me too.

Wrt to the real question, I see macros as being a step beyond weight watchers. But other than IF (which isn't a diet in the sense of it's about what you eat) I dont like most diets as it's sticky plasters. I'm coming to believe the reason many people over eat is an unhealthy relationship (possibly addiction) with food, and diets don't help. The remainder are struggling due to either ability or access to cook food from scratch. Diets fail here too.

Me too, I got all excited "

Simple things eh?

By *oeBeansMan  over a year ago

Derby

It probably does, but the truth is that you can never accurately count every macro you consume. For me, I just have a set diet. If I find I'm gaining weight and want to lose some, I eat smaller portions and snack less. If I feel lethargic and lack energy, I'll eat more and that generally works for me

By *elvet RopeMan  over a year ago

by the big field

From looking at your profile, i certainly don't think you need to loose anything- unless you're aiming for full on goddess standard

By *VineMan  over a year ago

The right place

I'm not sure what macros are in relation to diet.

There are so many diets but weight loss ultimately comes down to eating healthily and burning more calories than you consume. ELMAM - Eat Less, Move Around More.

By *cott73Man  over a year ago

brighton

Personally, I have just employed the old fashioned, 'watch the calories and do daily exercise' method.

And I can promise you, if you stick at it and not cheat, that won't work either....

"God knows how many diets or ways to lose weight. Keto, fasting, the list goes on. God knows how many different exercises, cardio classes etc.

It's a minefield right??

By the time you've researched them all you'd give up and think fuck it I'm having a pizza.

And yes I know I'm small, but I'm 45 and at my heaviest, no I don't have a body dismorphia or eating disorder, I'm just a smaller version of any woman that can put weight on and gain body fat. And if I don't start being mindful at some point then it's only going to be a bigger problem. "

All that matters is energy in vs energy out. Macros matter if your looking to get very lean but not essential to weight loss.

Focus on

Calorie deficit (healthy one)

Sleep

Reducing stress

Drink 3 litres of water a day

Weight is impacted by hormones and water so ignore bar once a month.

Aim for sticking to this 80% of the time

"God knows how many diets or ways to lose weight. Keto, fasting, the list goes on. God knows how many different exercises, cardio classes etc.

It's a minefield right??

And yes I know I'm small, but I'm 45 and at my heaviest, no I don't have a body dismorphia or eating disorder, I'm just a smaller version of any woman that can put weight on and gain body fat. And if I don't start being mindful at some point then it's only going to be a bigger problem.

All that matters is energy in vs energy out. Macros matter if your looking to get very lean but not essential to weight loss.

Focus on

Calorie deficit (healthy one)

Sleep

Reducing stress

Drink 3 litres of water a day

Weight is impacted by hormones and water so ignore bar once a month.

Aim for sticking to this 80% of the time "

Sorry 10k steps a big part also

By *UGGYBEAR2015Man  over a year ago

BRIDPORT

At the risk of appearing even more of a lemon than usual…….. what are Macros?

"At the risk of appearing even more of a lemon than usual…….. what are Macros?"
protein, fat, carbs.

BRIDPORT

"At the risk of appearing even more of a lemon than usual…….. what are Macros?protein, fat, carbs.

"

That appears to cover the general concept of what I just call ‘food’.

Is that all there is too it.

Oh, and thanks for answering the question.

"At the risk of appearing even more of a lemon than usual…….. what are Macros?protein, fat, carbs.

Oh, and thanks for answering the question. "

yeah. Eat the right amounts of all three and you will lose weight.

It always came across as a bit of a gym bro thing : if it meets your macros. Allows you to eat a bit dirty.

By *929Man  over a year ago

newcastle

Protein is almost impossible to be stored as fat so they are important to a degree a diet higher in protein is best way to go fill the remaining calories in either carbs or fat depending on preference it makes no difference as long as under maintenance cals

By *hrek101Man  over a year ago

Herts

If you can pick it or kill it you can eat it. Add regular exercise of whatever you enjoy. At 45 weight bearing resistance training is very useful. More muscle you have the more efficiently you will burn fat. Don't complicate it.

BRIDPORT

Oh, and thanks for answering the question. yeah. Eat the right amounts of all three and you will lose weight.

It always came across as a bit of a gym bro thing : if it meets your macros. Allows you to eat a bit dirty. "

I’ve got a feeling I’m eating more than ‘a bit’ dirty.

By *irty_DeedsMan  over a year ago

Teesside

If you hit your macros and are in a calorific deficit, you will lose weight(mostly)

I mainly track protein. I'm not trying to lose weight just build muscle, dirty bulking

By *ldFashionedGentMan  over a year ago

Chelmsford

OP

Best advice is that it truly depends what you’re trying to achieve.

For anything the starting position is calories. In order to track those we (you) need to understand what you’re consuming on a weekly basis. So you’d weigh yourself at the start of the week. Eat normally (for you) for a full week tracking everything you eat and then at the end weigh yourself again. Preferably at the same time or the day as the first weigh in and wearing what you were the first time. If you can do it naked do so.

That’ll give you an indication as to calories required to maintain your current weight. And then you can adjust up or down depending on your goal.

Macros come in handy after that for fine tuning. If I’m looking to put on muscle and am training for that I might want to ensure I hit 0.8/1.5 gram protein per point of body weight (depends who you are and your body). If trying to lose weight I might want to keep my carbs low and on and on and on.

Personally for me I’ve found MyFitnessPal to be useful. It makes life a little easier especially with the ability to take a pic of the barcode. For it to work you have to be consistent and honest with yourself around portion sizes and some criticise it but it has worked for me.

I typically shy away from ‘diets’ as they tend to be restrictive. Watching what you eat and exercise tend to be best. And exercise can be made easy. Long fast paced walk counts. And for those reading this and interested but can’t find the time there are some fantastic workouts anyone can do at home via Netflix (just search Nike)

Hope this helps anyone who might read it. General things to remember, Balance is key, make what you’re doing to stay in shape fun,?Everyone is different, but the basics are the same for all, start slow and give your body time to adjust, this is a lifestyle not a quick fix (they never last) concentrate on the basis, drink plenty of water (good for you and keeps you ‘full’) and you’ll be just fine

By *irty_DeedsMan  over a year ago

Teesside

Balance is the big thing for most. You can't just cut out everything you enjoy. Most won't last on a diet they find boring and restrictive.

Changing up the workouts helps too. Even if it's simple as using dumbells for an exercise rather than a machine.

By *rHotNottsMan  over a year ago

Dubai & Nottingham

Like any diet it will work for a while for some people.

Ultimately you have to change your relationship to food. If you snack out because you are bored, diets won’t fix that, they will likely make you more unhappy !

By *ewisbi76Man  over a year ago

west edinburgh

TBH Macros can describe any of the popular diet approaches as most of them restrict fat or carbs in some way and once you know what you want to cut out you can express the food you have left as carbs x% Fat y% and protein z%.

What is useful with macros is making sure you get enough protein, to help prevent loss of muscle mass, and enough fat, which is absolutely essential to keep you healthy.

iirc the default calorie view in my fitness pal can be swiped to show your macros for the day.

as others have said, it doesnt appear you need to lose weight from your profile pictures.... but..... if you want to develop your physique to be more athletic or "lithe" then you could consider combining strength training with Low Intensity Steady State Cardio to reduce body fat and increase muscle.

if this is what you're looking for then there are 2 youtubers i'd recommend, Paul Revelia who promotes slow treadmill walking for calorie burning and who has a target based macro calculator on his website and Meg Gallagher (megsquats) who promotes weightlifting and nutrition advice for female (and male) bodybuilders.

"Protein is almost impossible to be stored as fat so they are important to a degree a diet higher in protein is best way to go fill the remaining calories in either carbs or fat depending on preference it makes no difference as long as under maintenance cals "

Yeh I agree with this. That's my approach plus reducing stress, good sleep and 10k steps a day.

Aim for a deficit of about 500 calories a day and tack using my fitness pal.

I have lost 19lbs since Christmas doing this plus weights 3x a week.

Most important thing for me was learning the environment I work in is dangerous so body is always in fight or flight which means my hormones and water wreak havoc on body weight but if I stick to the above fat will always being dropping and scales will eventually show this.

I've slowly gained body fat and weight in the past three years or so.

My eating habits are poor. I skip breakfast a lot. I tend to eat more carbs than anything. I hate the cold so stay in more in the winter. I don't drink enough water either.

But. I've got a hidden illness that dictates what I eat and don't and now on a medication for it. If I drink a lot of water it affects the medication. So a catch 22 in effect.

In those past years my cortisol level has been high. I've been looked at and certain things ruled out.

So need to rethink thing's. I know high cortisol is a pig for weight gain. And I'm at a loss as to how to get it lower.

Im curious about macros to see if it will make me more mindful at least about eating more balanced without having to go no meat and be too restricted when my hidden illness already has a bearing on what I can eat anyway.

By *hagTonightMan  over a year ago

From the land of haribos.

I think it does, but I have never used it in that way. I train and I have a 6pack and all I am focused on is to hit my calorie limit and not macros, within my calorie limit I make sure that I get enough protein, carbs and fat, that works for me and I get results from it

By *ohn KanakaMan  over a year ago

Not all that North of North London

"I've slowly gained body fat and weight in the past three years or so.

My eating habits are poor. I skip breakfast a lot. I tend to eat more carbs than anything. I hate the cold so stay in more in the winter. I don't drink enough water either.

But. I've got a hidden illness that dictates what I eat and don't and now on a medication for it. If I drink a lot of water it affects the medication. So a catch 22 in effect.

In those past years my cortisol level has been high. I've been looked at and certain things ruled out.

So need to rethink thing's. I know high cortisol is a pig for weight gain. And I'm at a loss as to how to get it lower.

Im curious about macros to see if it will make me more mindful at least about eating more balanced without having to go no meat and be too restricted when my hidden illness already has a bearing on what I can eat anyway. "

Of you're eating habits are poor would it maybe not be better to have a chat with a nutritionist and try to work on a more balanced diet? Macros seem to be overly complicated and I suspect require a considerable amount of discipline

People take something so simple and make it so so complicated.

If your sole purpose is for the scales to register a lower number (you want to get into those jeans you once could etc) maintain a calorific deficit - expend more calories than you consume.

What that weight lost consists of - water weight, muscle, fat….. is a slightly more complex story.

By *rHotNottsMan  over a year ago

Dubai & Nottingham

"People take something so simple and make it so so complicated.

If your sole purpose is for the scales to register a lower number (you want to get into those jeans you once could etc) maintain a calorific deficit - expend more calories than you consume.

What that weight lost consists of - water weight, muscle, fat….. is a slightly more complex story. "

Yup, millions of years of evolution have given us everything what we need to instinctively eat the right things at the right times and with a few simple adjustments putting on or losing fat or muscle is easy.

So why is it so hard, why are millions people constantly chasing the latest fad diet , spending huge money on all kinds of powders, tablets and other useless and unnecessary junk food marketed as health ?

By *adyJayneWoman  over a year ago

Burnleyish (She/They)

Im curious about macros to see if it will make me more mindful at least about eating more balanced without having to go no meat and be too restricted when my hidden illness already has a bearing on what I can eat anyway. "

I struggled with my weight because of health issues (PCOS, possible Addison's disease, chronic migraine) and their associated medication....

At my most consistent weight loss / lowest weight I was in a severe calorie deficit... But I only lost weight if I tracked my macros as well as calories.

25% carbs / 40% protein / 35% fats worked for me and is a tweak from what is commonly suggested for women with PCOS.

If you are already on a restricted diet it might be worth seeing if you can get a referral to a nutritionalist, they might be able to suggest things you wouldn't think of.

It's the body fat I want to lose. I don't particularly like the idea of calarie deficit as I don't want to lose weight. I'm 8st 2 which is my top weight. For years I was 7st 3. And I don't want to go back to that. I just want the body fat to go but stay around the weight I am. Losing 2 to 4 kilos I'll take if needed but any more than that and I'd be worried.

"It's the body fat I want to lose. I don't particularly like the idea of calarie deficit as I don't want to lose weight. I'm 8st 2 which is my top weight. For years I was 7st 3. And I don't want to go back to that. I just want the body fat to go but stay around the weight I am. Losing 2 to 4 kilos I'll take if needed but any more than that and I'd be worried. "
does that mean gaining 4kg of muscle ?

London

"It's the body fat I want to lose. I don't particularly like the idea of calarie deficit as I don't want to lose weight. I'm 8st 2 which is my top weight. For years I was 7st 3. And I don't want to go back to that. I just want the body fat to go but stay around the weight I am. Losing 2 to 4 kilos I'll take if needed but any more than that and I'd be worried. "

It won't be exact, but to maintain muscle and lose fat, you will need to be in a slight calorie deficit, but keep up resistance training to maintain/build muscle. This is where loosely tracking macros will help as it will ensure you keep your protein high, which you need for muscle building...

By *melia DominaTV/TS  over a year ago

Edinburgh (She/Her)

Keep it simple stupid!

Basic excerise

Sleep

Balanced diet

I.e. eat a slice of cheese cake and no half of the bugger sorta thing! A couple of glasses of wine, no the bottle! 7-8hrs sleep, dinnay pull an all nighter! Lastly go for a walk.. simples...

By *razytimesinloveCouple  over a year ago

SW Scotland

Yep they work for me pretty well.

My protein stays the same year round, I change the sources though.

For weight loss I’ll drop carbs to a minimum and use fats to make up the rest of my intake.

For weight gain I swap carbs and fats round depending of training

"It's the body fat I want to lose. I don't particularly like the idea of calarie deficit as I don't want to lose weight. I'm 8st 2 which is my top weight. For years I was 7st 3. And I don't want to go back to that. I just want the body fat to go but stay around the weight I am. Losing 2 to 4 kilos I'll take if needed but any more than that and I'd be worried. does that mean gaining 4kg of muscle ?"

If I have to keep the scales good then yes. But I really want to stay above 7 and half stones and not go any lower at the worst case scenario.

"It's the body fat I want to lose. I don't particularly like the idea of calarie deficit as I don't want to lose weight. I'm 8st 2 which is my top weight. For years I was 7st 3. And I don't want to go back to that. I just want the body fat to go but stay around the weight I am. Losing 2 to 4 kilos I'll take if needed but any more than that and I'd be worried. does that mean gaining 4kg of muscle ?

If I have to keep the scales good then yes. But I really want to stay above 7 and half stones and not go any lower at the worst case scenario. "

that's going to take some training... Just to warn you !

By *rMonkeyMan  over a year ago

Somewhere

Losing 2-4kg of bodyfat and replacing with muscle while staying the same weight can be done. Taken me a little over 2 months to do 1kg of lean mass up but down by the same amount of fat.

As a woman it will be much harder due to much lower testosterone levels.

Anyone trying to do this has to really push training, it's not pleasant or comfortable.

By *inky_couple2020Couple  over a year ago

North West

I might PM you about this (again).....

I'm now a bit pissed as I've just been weighed at doctors and her scales said 47.8kg and I got a bollocking for my bmi being too low.

My scales say 51kg.

Im pretty sure hers a wrong but I didn't argue it as was pointless.

I had a health check. All my other results are fine but I got crap about my bmi. Ffs.

Im curious about macros to see if it will make me more mindful at least about eating more balanced without having to go no meat and be too restricted when my hidden illness already has a bearing on what I can eat anyway.

I might PM you about this (again)....."

Feel free.

Burnleyish (She/They)

"I'm now a bit pissed as I've just been weighed at doctors and her scales said 47.8kg and I got a bollocking for my bmi being too low.

My scales say 51kg.

I had a health check. All my other results are fine but I got crap about my bmi. Ffs. "

Urgh I get so frustrated that they still use BMI because it's such a flawed metric.

I'm dreading my weight dropping towards a 'normal' range of BMI... I've already got people telling me I've lost too much weight and I have a BMI of about 27 at the moment (I had a gastric bypass a couple of years ago and I'm still dropping weight)

"I'm now a bit pissed as I've just been weighed at doctors and her scales said 47.8kg and I got a bollocking for my bmi being too low.

My scales say 51kg.

I had a health check. All my other results are fine but I got crap about my bmi. Ffs.

Urgh I get so frustrated that they still use BMI because it's such a flawed metric.

I'm dreading my weight dropping towards a 'normal' range of BMI... I've already got people telling me I've lost too much weight and I have a BMI of about 27 at the moment (I had a gastric bypass a couple of years ago and I'm still dropping weight)"

BMI does my head in. Always has. It's not accurate at all in my opinion. It's completely flawed.

By *ooking4othersMan  over a year ago

Here ...

My scales say 51kg.

I'm dreading my weight dropping towards a 'normal' range of BMI... I've already got people telling me I've lost too much weight and I have a BMI of about 27 at the moment (I had a gastric bypass a couple of years ago and I'm still dropping weight)

BMI does my head in. Always has. It's not accurate at all in my opinion. It's completely flawed. "

If its flawed ignore it and use a measure that you trust.

Burnleyish (She/They)

My scales say 51kg.

BMI does my head in. Always has. It's not accurate at all in my opinion. It's completely flawed.

If its flawed ignore it and use a measure that you trust. "

I do.

Unfortunately medical professionals do not.

By *ellinever70Woman  over a year ago

Ayrshire

Technically, my bmi has had me in the obese category for a number of years now.

Not once has a medical professional ever used it as anything but a guide and I've never been advised to loose weight on the basis of it

By *lltheboostCouple  over a year ago

Shefford

It's a minefield right??

And yes I know I'm small, but I'm 45 and at my heaviest, no I don't have a body dismorphia or eating disorder, I'm just a smaller version of any woman that can put weight on and gain body fat. And if I don't start being mindful at some point then it's only going to be a bigger problem. "

Macros definitely work. As long as combined with calorie counting and matched with what physical activity you do. My bf does meal plans for people based on their body type and their goals. Drop us a pm and he’ll do you one if you want.

» Add a new message to this topic