FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > so the whole of the nhs looking for pay rise's but whos...

so the whole of the nhs looking for pay rise's but whos...

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *oxy j OP   Woman  over a year ago

somerset

so the whole of the nhs looking for pay rise's but whos.. looking out for the very hard working care workers ?? without whom this country and the nhs would be in a total melt down ... so when are care workers going to be paid a wage thats more than the living wage

the only wage that can be decent is the care sector is nurse's managers and care director yet the seniors and care workers dont stop all day unless its a break and even then alot will miss them ...if we want care workers to work in a job that as hard as it is then more money is needed.. care is hard work very very hard work

whos going to stand up for the care workers

this is not about live in care or family care thats a completely different subject with different problems

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *oxy j OP   Woman  over a year ago

somerset

oh and no im not a care worker but i see there hard work every day

By *reyToTheFairiesWoman  over a year ago

Carlisle usually

Maybe the first step is to take care of the NHS.

That's already a mammoth task, but one that needs doing. Don't bog it down or make it more complicated. Let it open the floodgates.

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Something I do know something about, and while everyone talks about care workers pay, the problem is the rates paid by councils and NHS to care companies is way too low.

Can't raise wages without paying more for it.

The NHS problems are mostly caused by lack of community care. This is widely acknowledged but nothing is done about it.

Care workers deserve so much more, whilst the average nurses pay is around £35k. They also deserve that but get all the media attention and public adulation, while the care sector is vilified.

By *inky_couple2020Couple  over a year ago

North West

"Something I do know something about, and while everyone talks about care workers pay, the problem is the rates paid by councils and NHS to care companies is way too low.

The NHS problems are mostly caused by lack of community care. This is widely acknowledged but nothing is done about it.

Care workers deserve so much more, whilst the average nurses pay is around £35k. They also deserve that but get all the media attention and public adulation, while the care sector is vilified. "

It's local councils paying for state funded care, not the NHS. Adult social care is completely separate from the NHS, which is exactly why there's such a disconnect between the two.

"Something I do know something about, and while everyone talks about care workers pay, the problem is the rates paid by councils and NHS to care companies is way too low.

Care workers deserve so much more, whilst the average nurses pay is around £35k. They also deserve that but get all the media attention and public adulation, while the care sector is vilified.

It's local councils paying for state funded care, not the NHS. Adult social care is completely separate from the NHS, which is exactly why there's such a disconnect between the two."

The NHS pays for a lot of social care under the guise of continuing healthcare funding. There are many areas that have joint commissioning structures and Integrated Commissioning Boards.

It is wrong to say it's completely separate but I agree there is still a huge disconnect even with the above mentioned systems in place.

If this was a thread about the NHS there would have been way more responses, but it's social care and nobody gives a shit about it until you need it and you can't get it.

North West

It's local councils paying for state funded care, not the NHS. Adult social care is completely separate from the NHS, which is exactly why there's such a disconnect between the two.

The NHS pays for a lot of social care under the guise of continuing healthcare funding. There are many areas that have joint commissioning structures and Integrated Commissioning Boards.

It is wrong to say it's completely separate but I agree there is still a huge disconnect even with the above mentioned systems in place.

If this was a thread about the NHS there would have been way more responses, but it's social care and nobody gives a shit about it until you need it and you can't get it.

"

I need it, can't get it. Ditto my dad. O have to pay for us both or rely on the charity of others (as I have this very week - there are very kind people in the world still).

By *ittleMissCaliWoman  over a year ago

trouble most likely, or creating it :)

"so the whole of the nhs looking for pay rise's but whos.. looking out for the very hard working care workers ?? without whom this country and the nhs would be in a total melt down ... so when are care workers going to be paid a wage thats more than the living wage

the only wage that can be decent is the care sector is nurse's managers and care director yet the seniors and care workers dont stop all day unless its a break and even then alot will miss them ...if we want care workers to work in a job that as hard as it is then more money is needed.. care is hard work very very hard work

whos going to stand up for the care workers

this is not about live in care or family care thats a completely different subject with different problems

"

it would be nice... nhs health care assistants get slightly more than private. What shocked me is that we get no paid sick pay, even when we have to still self isolated. Yes we get ssp... but thats it. I'm lucky as I'm paid quite well compared to other local homes.. but still not far over the new nmw

By *riel13Woman  over a year ago

Northampton

They don't work for the NHS, do they?

By *orkswatcherMan  over a year ago

Wakefield

I have a shop I pay above living wage. Every care worker I know gets living wage to my outrage especially as they are private

I have one staff member who moans at what she is paid and have to say you know people are paid less for doing a much harder job then you

By *ubal1Man  over a year ago

Newry Down

The "free at the point of delivery" model on which the NHS was originally devised in the 1940s will end and be replaced by an increasingly privatised system.

The realisation of pay and salary demands,will depend on the power wielded by a particular group: senior doctors and consultants will largely get what they demand but lower down the pecking order, pay rises will be abysmal, likely below the true rate of inflation.

Staffing issues will soon be at crisis point, and all waiting lists will lengthen, forcing many patients, where they can afford to do so, to get private treatment, from surgeons who are also being paid by the NHS.

The ultimate goal is to dismantle the NHS and move to an American model of health service delivery, funded by health insurance

Regrettably, this is the reality of 21st century medicine.

By *anguid_ReprisalMan  over a year ago

Newcastle upon Tyne

"Maybe the first step is to take care of the NHS.

That's already a mammoth task, but one that needs doing. Don't bog it down or make it more complicated. Let it open the floodgates."

I find this to be a really sane perspective. Thank you for putting it so well.

By *estless nativeMan  over a year ago

near Glasgow

The answer, join a union and organise

By *GermanInLondonMan  over a year ago

London

Totally agree. And would extend to other jobs which add so much to society ... Teachers for example.

If wages dont improve in public sector and social care the exodus of the workforce may just speed up even more. And who can blame them.

As a former care worker I was always paid minimum wage not a living wage. Working in state funded care was awful, back breaking work often 7 days a week and 12 hours a day. Understaffing, inadequate training and management who only cared about filling beds. Private care was better, for the staff and residents alike. The government should be doing a lot more for state funded care instead of funding their own parties and duck ponds. They find money for all sorts of other things so why not our elderly?

By *avexxMan  over a year ago

cheshire

care workers are paid a shocking wage in a lot of cases they deserve so much more,, for starts lets get rid of this vile goverment

The trouble with this sector is it now built for profit

Until it comes back to being a social responsibility, I don't see sector pay changing that much

My Dad is in care

I see how hard they work

I see how stretched they are

I see how appreciative they are when you ease their burden

We do really need a more social model with viable wages and conditions that attract new people to the sector

By *D of funCouple  over a year ago

Northampton

I'm a care worker.... work over 40 hours a week for 10.42 a hour

By *avexxMan  over a year ago

cheshire

"I'm a care worker.... work over 40 hours a week for 10.42 a hour "
,,, its not enough for what you do,

By *oodmessMan  over a year ago

yumsville

I do wonder why Nightingales or some form of care centres locally can't be brought online to ease NHS pressures. It'd mean care workers could (generally) be split between designated locations and provide home care, saving their time. Rehab teams could also convene freeing up space before returning home.

This is not to say pay doesn't need addressing just limited bed spaces/staff shortages coupled with commutes between homes could at least ease backlogs.

North West

"I do wonder why Nightingales or some form of care centres locally can't be brought online to ease NHS pressures. It'd mean care workers could (generally) be split between designated locations and provide home care, saving their time. Rehab teams could also convene freeing up space before returning home.

This is not to say pay doesn't need addressing just limited bed spaces/staff shortages coupled with commutes between homes could at least ease backlogs.

"

The Nightingale centres were in conference centres and the like, which have reverted back to their original purpose. Manchester Central (aka GMEX) hosted one, but that's back to holding mega expos and trade fairs. Also there were never enough staff to run the Nightingales as the government imagined, so staffing likely would remain an issue too.

yumsville

"I do wonder why Nightingales or some form of care centres locally can't be brought online to ease NHS pressures. It'd mean care workers could (generally) be split between designated locations and provide home care, saving their time. Rehab teams could also convene freeing up space before returning home.

The Nightingale centres were in conference centres and the like, which have reverted back to their original purpose. Manchester Central (aka GMEX) hosted one, but that's back to holding mega expos and trade fairs. Also there were never enough staff to run the Nightingales as the government imagined, so staffing likely would remain an issue too. "

The Nightingales were a concept to cope with a national emergency but the idea remains. The scale and cost of hiring arenas wouldn't be feasible but there has to be facilities available to repurpose in near enough every town. Beds cannot be freed up quickly enough so there is an issue, something like this (interim, if not ongoing) would focus all areas of the health service

North West

The Nightingale centres were in conference centres and the like, which have reverted back to their original purpose. Manchester Central (aka GMEX) hosted one, but that's back to holding mega expos and trade fairs. Also there were never enough staff to run the Nightingales as the government imagined, so staffing likely would remain an issue too.

The Nightingales were a concept to cope with a national emergency but the idea remains. The scale and cost of hiring arenas wouldn't be feasible but there has to be facilities available to repurpose in near enough every town. Beds cannot be freed up quickly enough so there is an issue, something like this (interim, if not ongoing) would focus all areas of the health service "

Who is going to staff them? Both the NHS and social care are already short.

yumsville

The Nightingales were a concept to cope with a national emergency but the idea remains. The scale and cost of hiring arenas wouldn't be feasible but there has to be facilities available to repurpose in near enough every town. Beds cannot be freed up quickly enough so there is an issue, something like this (interim, if not ongoing) would focus all areas of the health service

Who is going to staff them? Both the NHS and social care are already short. "

I don't know - I just solve world crises with a stroke of my pen

Instead of trying to create more hospital beds just get people back home with a properly funded social care system.

Cure the problem and not the symptoms.

Some home care providers get paid less an hour than the average nurses hourly rate. That's to pay the carer and all the business overheads which are substantial.

According to skills for care the average private sector carer hourly rate is around £11 and council employed care staff earn £14 with way better t&c.

Improved carers pay can only come with improved rates paid to care providers.

It's funny how the public is all for increasing NHS pay but not for increasing rates paid to care providers.

yumsville

Who is going to staff them? Both the NHS and social care are already short. "

They'd largely be discharged btw. Just unable to go home due lack of support or care so would stay there until full/partial recovery. It wouldn't need medical care as such, just managers to enable care workers, physios, dietary (that kind of thing) to access one place.

North West

Who is going to staff them? Both the NHS and social care are already short.

I don't know - I just solve world crises with a stroke of my pen"

If only it were so easy!

Current NHS and social care policy is to poach nurses and care workers from places like India and Nepal......

By *skyouneverknowMan  over a year ago

Calne

It's not a binary choice - I would suggest that both care workers and many nhs staff are not paid their true value to society.

It doesn't make sense to me that those who care for us are amongst the poorest paid in society.

» Add a new message to this topic