FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Swimming lessons only for the Middle Classes

Swimming lessons only for the Middle Classes

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *ssex_tom OP   Man  over a year ago

Chelmsford

Reports that because of the cost of swimming lessons for children being very expensive that the poor can no longer afford them and only 42% of children starting secondary school can swim. Researchers saying that only the middle class can afford the lessons. And many schools no longer teaching kids to swim. What's going on here. It's all over the news.

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *he love catsCouple  over a year ago

South Wales

They have gone up by a considerable amount lately it's not just them, all the lessons our children attend are costing us a lot more than before.

I think in our leisure centre they are giving free lessons in holiday time's for people who can't afford it though, so hopefully this scheme can turn this trend around and more children can attend and learn this crucial life saving skill.

By *icecouple561Couple  over a year ago
Forum Mod

East Sussex

Our children are in their thirties and we couldn't afford swimming lessons for them, my parents couldn't for me. I left school unable to swim or ride a bike for that matter.

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman  over a year ago

King's Crustacean

Being able to afford swimming lessons has very little to do with social class and a LOT to do with income.

So ..... can we lose the middle classes bit thank you.

It's also a lifestyle thing. Some people can afford it but prefer to use their money in other ways.

King's Crustacean

BTW ...... I am a fully paid up loyal member of the working class before someone thinks otherwise.

By *ora the explorerWoman  over a year ago

Paradise, Herts

Mine never had them. We taught them. Is this something else people think they should be entitled to now

A lot of schools also do them if they’re near a pool.

Chelmsford

"Our children are in their thirties and we couldn't afford swimming lessons for them, my parents couldn't for me. I left school unable to swim or ride a bike for that matter."

You left school and could not ride a bike?

Have you learnt since?

King's Crustacean

"Our children are in their thirties and we couldn't afford swimming lessons for them, my parents couldn't for me. I left school unable to swim or ride a bike for that matter.

You left school and could not ride a bike?

Have you learnt since?"

No. She decided if she couldn't ride a bike then she would BE the bike !

JOKE !!!!

King's Crustacean

"Mine never had them. We taught them. Is this something else people think they should be entitled to now

A lot of schools also do them if they’re near a pool. "

Every child has to be able to swim at least 25mtrs before they leave primary.

Even if there is no pool near. The school has to find the funding for travel and pool hire.

No ifs or buts.....

Chelmsford

"BTW ...... I am a fully paid up loyal member of the working class before someone thinks otherwise.

"

There is nothing to be ashamed of in being lower class Granny. Every person and every creature has a part to play. Tom is upper class although he was not born with a silver spoon in his mouth. He jumped from lower to middle to upper class by working hard and being success. He was once nominated to be captain at his local golf club. He did not get elected but you take his point about the people he mixes with.

Paradise, Herts

"Mine never had them. We taught them. Is this something else people think they should be entitled to now

Even if there is no pool near. The school has to find the funding for travel and pool hire.

No ifs or buts..... "

Ah really? Didn’t know that. That’s good. My youngest does it at school but don’t remember my eldest (26) doing it.

By *usie pTV/TS  over a year ago

taunton

Lol in a minute someone is going to say they left school and didn't know how to shag lol when we all know its like riding a bike it comes naturally when you try, mind you swimming is in a different category.

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Meanwhile apart from it's boats in the Channel duties the RNLI provide swimming lessons in places like Bangladesh and sub Saharan Africa.

This is actually true lol

By *iltsTSgirlTV/TS  over a year ago

chichester

Good luck finding a local swimming pool as well. So many are closing down. / closed down

Forum Mod

East Sussex

"Lol in a minute someone is going to say they left school and didn't know how to shag lol when we all know its like riding a bike it comes naturally when you try, mind you swimming is in a different category."

There were a lot of things I couldn't do when I left school. I could read, write and do maths though. Just not while swimming

By *UGGYBEAR2015Man  over a year ago

BRIDPORT

A lot of schools also do them if they’re near a pool. "

This.

My parents took us to swimming baths 20 odd miles away a couple of times a month and taught us to swim.

Would never have dreamt of paying someone else to do it, or,as is the case these days, expecting it to be provided by others.

By *rHotNottsMan  over a year ago

Dubai & Nottingham

I taught all three of my daughters to swim, ride bikes and drive cars - never cost me a penny.

By *ools and the brainCouple  over a year ago

couple, us we him her.

Jesus when did it become someone else's responsibility?

Teach your kid's to swim yourself if you can't afford lessons.

Most kid's just need water confidence and to be tought basic water safety which is available free of charge via many sources such as YouTube.

Learning to respect the water is every bit as important as learning to swim.

Most people just need time in the water splashing around and with some practice can master even the most basic skills such as doggy paddle.

The single biggest skill is learning to lay on your back and float.

This is after not going in or near water in the first place.

Sadly every year the number of needless deaths occur and it's on the rise with people not respecting the water or having basic course common sense.

Then parents blame others instead of taking responsibility for not teaching their children.

There was a tragic case of a chap drowning a couple of years ago at Lepe Beach in Hampshire.

He went out half a mile on a paddle board with no life vest and couldn't swim a stroke he fell in and very sadly died.

So yes whilst I agree costs are ridiculous for lessons do they actually need lessons to gain basic water safety and skills?

As a keen swimmer and open water swimmer myself it's something I take extremely seriously and never underestimate the power and danger of water.

But then I guess it's seen as being uncool to take water safety seriously.

People are happy to spend Hours on social media but unwilling to spend a few minutes educating themselves and their children on water safety.

couple, us we him her.

"Jesus when did it become someone else's responsibility?

Most kid's just need water confidence and to be tought basic water safety which is available free of charge via many sources such as YouTube.

Most people just need time in the water splashing around and with some practice can master even the most basic skills such as doggy paddle.

Sadly every year the number of needless deaths occur and it's on the rise with people not respecting the water or having basic course common sense.

Then parents blame others instead of taking responsibility for not teaching their children.

There was a tragic case of a chap drowning a couple of years ago at Lepe Beach in Hampshire.

He went out half a mile on a paddle board with no life vest and couldn't swim a stroke he fell in and very sadly died.

So yes whilst I agree costs are ridiculous for lessons do they actually need lessons to gain basic water safety and skills?

As a keen swimmer and open water swimmer myself it's something I take extremely seriously and never underestimate the power and danger of water.

People are happy to spend Hours on social media but unwilling to spend a few minutes educating themselves and their children on water safety."

*Taught*

By *ad NannaWoman  over a year ago

East London

Is it up to individual schools to send children to swimming lessons, or a Borough decision?

I know one of my grandchildren had swimming lessons weekly for a term in the last 3 years of Primary school.

The pool was only a few minutes walk from his school so they didn't need to pay for transport.

As the pool is owned by the Borough I assume they didn't have to pay.

Paradise, Herts

People are happy to spend Hours on social media but unwilling to spend a few minutes educating themselves and their children on water safety."

Well said. Especially that last paragraph!

East London

I've just read that children in Barking and Dagenham who missed their school swimming lessons because of the pandemic got 4 hours free swimming lessons to make up for it.

As a parent I took my children swimming at a young age and taught them to swim myself.

Dubai & Nottingham

Agree, being a strong confident swimmer is so important, but not just for safety. I know people who can kind of swim but always refuse to dive or snorkel , even get nervous on boats.

I taught an adult to swim last year and now she enjoys swimming in the sea at weekends, it’s completely transformed her trips to the beach , she has so much more fun and loves going , before she’d reluctantly come along and hide on a lounger watching the rest of us have fun

King's Crustacean

"BTW ...... I am a fully paid up loyal member of the working class before someone thinks otherwise.

There is nothing to be ashamed of in being lower class Granny. Every person and every creature has a part to play. Tom is upper class although he was not born with a silver spoon in his mouth. He jumped from lower to middle to upper class by working hard and being success. He was once nominated to be captain at his local golf club. He did not get elected but you take his point about the people he mixes with. "

Oh Tom, my dear dear Tom.

Tell Tom for me that I said working class not lower class and also tell Tom that though he thinks he is upper class - the upper class do not think of him in this way. Tom needs to know that he remains working class and that he should note that financial success brings money not class, as Tom has clearly demonstrated in his delusional post. Also - give my love to Tom.

King's Crustacean

"Is it up to individual schools to send children to swimming lessons, or a Borough decision?

I know one of my grandchildren had swimming lessons weekly for a term in the last 3 years of Primary school.

The pool was only a few minutes walk from his school so they didn't need to pay for transport.

"

Schools fund swimming lessons out of their annual budget. Yes they do pay.

Dubai & Nottingham

"Is it up to individual schools to send children to swimming lessons, or a Borough decision?

Schools fund swimming lessons out of their annual budget. Yes they do pay."

They are shit, always missed and academy and free schools can just choose not to do them. Poor Kids without parents to teach them rely on lessons at local pools. Any single parent or working class person with kids knows this

Chelmsford

There is nothing to be ashamed of in being lower class Granny. Every person and every creature has a part to play. Tom is upper class although he was not born with a silver spoon in his mouth. He jumped from lower to middle to upper class by working hard and being success. He was once nominated to be captain at his local golf club. He did not get elected but you take his point about the people he mixes with.

Oh Tom, my dear dear Tom.

Tell Tom for me that I said working class not lower class and also tell Tom that though he thinks he is upper class - the upper class do not think of him in this way. Tom needs to know that he remains working class and that he should note that financial success brings money not class, as Tom has clearly demonstrated in his delusional post. Also - give my love to Tom. "

By *atisfy janeWoman  over a year ago

Torquay

"Meanwhile apart from it's boats in the Channel duties the RNLI provide swimming lessons in places like Bangladesh and sub Saharan Africa.

This is actually true lol"

You are fixated with migrants

By *ittleMissCaliWoman  over a year ago

trouble most likely, or creating it :)

No ifs or buts.....

Ah really? Didn’t know that. That’s good. My youngest does it at school but don’t remember my eldest (26) doing it. "

we had to do it at school and I'm much older than 26

"Meanwhile apart from it's boats in the Channel duties the RNLI provide swimming lessons in places like Bangladesh and sub Saharan Africa.

You are fixated with migrants"

Based on what? Just another left wing apologist without a clue.You and your ilk are the cause of most problems in this country

Paradise, Herts

No ifs or buts.....

Ah really? Didn’t know that. That’s good. My youngest does it at school but don’t remember my eldest (26) doing it. we had to do it at school and I'm much older than 26 "

Haha she probably did. My memory isn’t what it was

By *ohn KanakaMan  over a year ago

Not all that North of North London

This is actually true lol"

I'm not sure why you ended the comment with LOL?

And this is true, but a very selective, arguably inflammatory reflecton on what is happening.

Firstly let's not forget that as well as it's "channel duties" the RNLI have stations inland and on the coast throughout the UK.

And they teach water safety courses across the UK and have done for years.

Their overseas work is a fraction of their budget (less than 2%), its also mainly funded via targeted fund raising and grants fir international aid. And it's often in partnership with local charities who draw on the RNLI's experience and knowledge.

So I'm not seeing why you highlighted it as a negative?

By *bi HaiveMan  over a year ago
Forum Mod

Cheeseville, Somerset

No ifs or buts..... "

Ours couldn't. Still can't.

Despite lessons at school (they have a pool) and private lessons. And yes I was present so can't blame the instructors.

No ifs or buts......

A

Forum Mod

Cheeseville, Somerset

[Removed by poster at 31/03/23 10:50:26]

[Removed by poster at 31/03/23 10:59:53]

And this is true, but a very selective, arguably inflammatory reflecton on what is happening.

Firstly let's not forget that as well as it's "channel duties" the RNLI have stations inland and on the coast throughout the UK.

Their overseas work is a fraction of their budget (less than 2%), its also mainly funded via targeted fund raising and grants fir international aid. And it's often in partnership with local charities who draw on the RNLI's experience and knowledge.

So I'm not seeing why you highlighted it as a negative?"

Really cannot be bothered arguing with another apologist.RNLI ,what's the N stand for?

couple, us we him her.

Really cannot be bothered arguing with another apologist.RNLI ,what's the N stand for?"

wow angry much??

East London

I didn't learn to swim until I was 9 when I had swimming lessons at school.

My dad couldn't swim and was scared of water, and my mum had a severely disabled child and other younger children to take care of.

Really cannot be bothered arguing with another apologist.RNLI ,what's the N stand for?wow angry much??"

With stupid people? Constantly.

By *ornucopiaMan  over a year ago

Bexley

Learn to float first. The swimming will come naturally after that. It is all to do with breathing deeply.

Start in shallow water with something to hold onto. When the time is right let go with the last remaining finger tip once you feel at equilibrium in the water.

If you can only stop sinking by doing strokes, you are doing something wrong.

No need to pay, other than for access to the pool.

King's Crustacean

No ifs or buts.....

Despite lessons at school (they have a pool) and private lessons. And yes I was present so can't blame the instructors.

No ifs or buts......

A"

How old are they? Is there a special reason for them not swimming ?

Forum Mod

Cheeseville, Somerset

No ifs or buts.....

No ifs or buts......

A

How old are they? Is there a special reason for them not swimming ? "

Early teen.

And the special reason is that he just doesn't get it. Not for the want of us trying, not for lack of effort on our or the instructors part. He either is deliberately choosing not to for whatever reason or there's something that nobody can figure out that's blocking him from grasping the concept.

It's not unique.

Drives me nuts but I can't do it for him.

A

By *akeanyoneMan  over a year ago

LH

I teach my daughter myself, it's free with my gym membership. If I wasn't a member it'd be about £5 for us both.

King's Crustacean

Could be body proportion if he is long n lean n muscle dense.....

He'll get it eventually if it's not psychological. (fear)

Good luck ....

What if the parents can't swim, who teaches the kids then?? I can't, and wouldn't have a clue about teaching someone how to swim. My sister couldn't teach her daughter, as she can't swim, and also has a fear of water!

By *akeanyoneMan  over a year ago

LH

People are happy to spend Hours on social media but unwilling to spend a few minutes educating themselves and their children on water safety.

What if the parents can't swim, who teaches the kids then?? I can't, and wouldn't have a clue about teaching someone how to swim. My sister couldn't teach her daughter, as she can't swim, and also has a fear of water!"

It's never too late to learn and fears can be overcome

By *iamondsmiles.Woman  over a year ago

little house on the praire

I could swim at three which was really unusual in those days. My dad taught me. When I was abit older I did go to lessons to get better skills and certificates. My son went to swimming lessons as dies My grandson.

The kids that live here don't as we don't have a swimming pool in the whole of the county

By *asterR and slut mayaMan  over a year ago

Bradford

I fail my first swim certificate the first. Time because I'd seam three quarters of a length underwater I used to swim with my eyes closed

Because I was thin and didn't weight a lot I couldn't stay on top of the water but I those days swimming underwater wasn't a problem. For me .but the swim examiner didn't like it .I was pissed off because I could have gone all the way I didn't know I was doing anything wrong until they stopped me .

I taught my kids to swim, ride a bike and a whole load of other life skills. It’s a parenting thing and mostly fun anyway.

I am yet to be issued with my class card..

By *asterR and slut mayaMan  over a year ago

Bradford

"Our children are in their thirties and we couldn't afford swimming lessons for them, my parents couldn't for me. I left school unable to swim or ride a bike for that matter."

Well my lady I have a tandem I'll let you sit at the front I can teach to swim and ride a bike at the same time The stroke is called the breast stoke while I'm doing that we both can be peddling franticly I'm sure we stay. Afloat . but of course I'm also a trained lifegaurd so anything go wrong I can give you the kiss of life and do chest compressions .so win. Win .

By *inky_couple2020Couple  over a year ago

North West

"I taught my kids to swim, why on earth do people think they need to pay for it etc"

You are forgetting that not all parents can swim. My Dad is 84 and cannot swim a stroke and never has been able to. My mother was terrified of getting water on her face after having her head held under as a child so we were not taken swimming as children. We learned to swim at school and by occasionally going with our grandparents. My grandmother was a very strong swimmer, having grown up on Morecambe Bay.

North West

"Could be body proportion if he is long n lean n muscle dense.....

Good luck .... "

Yes, one bonus of being fat is I float more easily and will survive longer in cold water

By *r_PinkMan  over a year ago

london stratford

"Reports that because of the cost of swimming lessons for children being very expensive that the poor can no longer afford them and only 42% of children starting secondary school can swim. Researchers saying that only the middle class can afford the lessons. And many schools no longer teaching kids to swim. What's going on here. It's all over the news."

It makes sense.

Let the poor drown, after all, the poor are already drowning in financial ways.

The rich do not care and its the rich that rule.

By *9 kisses.Man  over a year ago

clacton on sea

It's never to late to learn to swim,

I took lessons six years ago, Best thing ive ever done, other than having kids of course,

I stopped about two years ago,

Most Fridays I do over a hundred lengths, Love it,

By *iamondsmiles.Woman  over a year ago

little house on the praire

My son was a premature baby so very small but I still took him swimming from a week of being out of hospital. I used to just walk around in the pool with him in my arms and occasionally splash him. He was very water confident. Both my grandchildren are water confident. They've both been going since young babies. My granddaughter calls it the sea.

Swimming lessons are great to build up skills but I think as parents we should get them in the water as soon as possible to give them the confidence. It's a great social activity for them to go with their friends when they are older

By *he love catsCouple  over a year ago

South Wales

""I taught my kids to swim, why on earth do people think they need to pay for it etc"

You are forgetting that not all parents can swim. My Dad is 84 and cannot swim a stroke and never has been able to. My mother was terrified of getting water on her face after having her head held under as a child so we were not taken swimming as children. We learned to swim at school and by occasionally going with our grandparents. My grandmother was a very strong swimmer, having grown up on Morecambe Bay. "

The reason we pay for lessons is that we did teach our children to swim when they were younger but taught them a lot of bad habits and with my son taking it to another level now with lifeguarding he has far surpassed our ability to teach him, so we had to get the lessons to teach him the correct way, almost like starting from beginning and unlearning a lot of things that we had taught him that we thought were right.

Sadly the costs of heating pools and running filtation systems has shot up in the last few years and local authorities have to pass the increase onto pool users. I've a swim instructor licence and if I do any teaching (as cover) my pay rate is minimum wage (which I never take)

Rebecca Adlington has a swimming school and the cost of her courses (run at private health clubs) are ridiculous.

But every child should be given the opportunity to learn to swim free of charge.

Bexley

"Could be body proportion if he is long n lean n muscle dense.....

Good luck ....

Yes, one bonus of being fat is I float more easily and will survive longer in cold water "

Some interesting comments on body mass factor.

I am actually an ectomorph and have never carried much fat.

However, I have trained myself to float vertically like a marker buoy or sometimes like a sleeping seal with my knees pulled up against my chest and held together with my arms, just for the fun of it. I seldom bother with conventional dorsal floating.

It is all to do with deep breathing and occasionally replenishing the oxygen but keeping the lungs full nearly all the time. If I breathe out too much I will sink. A lot of people dron when they fall into water because the shock/surprise causes them to breathe out. If I feel myself going over in a kayak, I always take a lungful of air to help with coming back up.

Swimming strokes, for me, are for propulsion, not survival.

Having some fat on board my aid buoyancy and help with keeping warm but for the skinny and bony among us, lung capacity is the secret.

Paradise, Herts

"Reports that because of the cost of swimming lessons for children being very expensive that the poor can no longer afford them and only 42% of children starting secondary school can swim. Researchers saying that only the middle class can afford the lessons. And many schools no longer teaching kids to swim. What's going on here. It's all over the news.

It makes sense.

Let the poor drown, after all, the poor are already drowning in financial ways.

The rich do not care and its the rich that rule."

You really are quite extreme aren’t you. The people who don’t get free everything on a plate are struggling too you know. Most people are. But nah let’s give everyone free bloody swimming lessons.

By *rder66Man  over a year ago

Tatooine

I taught my daughter same as iding a bike, instead of expecting the schools to do everything.

Parents can always get more involved.

By *uddy laneMan  over a year ago

dudley

"Reports that because of the cost of swimming lessons for children being very expensive that the poor can no longer afford them and only 42% of children starting secondary school can swim. Researchers saying that only the middle class can afford the lessons. And many schools no longer teaching kids to swim. What's going on here. It's all over the news."

The canal is free for aquatic hobbies Tom and they have never been so clean.

By *red333Man  over a year ago

Dorchester

It should be encumbent upon the parents to teach their children to swim i taught my daughters but they did actually both go to a swimming club as well but could already swim

By *ild_oatsMan  over a year ago

the land of saints & sinners

Slightly tangential to the topic as Easter holiday’s are approaching and families head to the coast for a break beach safety should be taught in schools.

Currently the life guards come to schools here to teach about beach safety…. But this is ingrained early on. It’s the visitors that need this guidance as on the whole they tend to be the ones who get into trouble by not knowing where it is safe to swim or what to look out for.

By *oubleswing2019Man  over a year ago

Colchester

One of my parent's ideas of teaching me to swim was to take me to an outside pool. I was 10 I think. I used a rubber ring at the time.

Unknown to me, they sabotaged it.

2 hours later, I got out and they said "so you don't need that then?"

It was completely deflated.

Looking back on it, a cheap trick and it could have gone so badly wrong. I never forgave them for it, and when we did go swimming as a family after that, I trained myself to swim exclusively underwater, only surfacing for air briefly. I felt safer under water and could do my own thing without one trying to murderise me.

By *ormorantMan  over a year ago

Lincolnshire

What’s middle class..??

Bexley

"What’s middle class..??"

What the working class perspire to become.

(but nobody would notice in the water)

By *ove2pleaseseukMan  over a year ago

Hastings

"Being able to afford swimming lessons has very little to do with social class and a LOT to do with income.

So ..... can we lose the middle classes bit thank you.

It's also a lifestyle thing. Some people can afford it but prefer to use their money in other ways. "

To be fair it's not about income it's about disposable income I think lots of middle class have large mortgages and with interest goinging up will also struggle.

That said the PTA at my primary school raised the money to build and run a pool. Out door and un heated so everyone learnt to swim. Then with Scouts we done more life saving swimming.

By *londebiguyMan  over a year ago

Southport

My siblings and I were taught by our parents.

I've no idea why it's necessary for kids to go to swimming lessons if parents could teach them at least the basics .

It's not really a necessity in life to be taught by a professional if you cannot afford it.

By *luffy FairyWoman  over a year ago

west LDN

No. She decided if she couldn't ride a bike then she would BE the bike !

Spat my drink out and still giggling

Chelmsford

Let's look at another perspective.. Tom cannot swim at all.. not even a meter

He is safe because of this. He avoids water at all costs. He does not swim in pools, seas or lakes. He avoids them. He will not travel by ferry or boat. He holidays inland. Being not able to swim has actual saved him from drowning...

Hastings

Ouch any one would think we lived on an island and no one was more then about 50 miles to the sea. Water safety is basic in the see in deep cold water it harder

Ook people actually pay for swimming lessons?

Hastings

"Ook people actually pay for swimming lessons? "

Yes people pay

But also there is a problem with UK pool operators allowing people to swim clothing losts of society then get excluded from public pool as there belif is to cover up. I was in India this year and it amazed me how meany could not swim.

When at school we were taken to "learn" in a bloody freezing outdoor pool. The lessons consisted of holding a block of polystyrene and trying to kick your legs to try to shop shivering and hypothermia. Consequently I hated it and learnt nothing. When I was 40 I had an annual bonus and joined a local private heath club with a warn indoor pool and paid for adult swimming lessions. I did learn then but not to any brilliant standard. One advantage was the club had a large jacuzzi room you could hire privately and after my lessons I used to fuck my girl friend in there... And then we'd have a meal in the bar.. Happy days.

My Dad taught me to swim, we had lessons at school but I hated the teacher, she was vile, if you were stood on the side she would just push you in, I ended up traumatised

I loved going to the pool with my Dad though, had no fear of the water with him.

My kids had lessons at School and both can swim well

I believe it's a lifeskill

By *ife NinjaMan  over a year ago

Dunfermline

"My Dad taught me to swim, we had lessons at school but I hated the teacher, she was vile, if you were stood on the side she would just push you in, I ended up traumatised

I loved going to the pool with my Dad though, had no fear of the water with him.

My kids had lessons at School and both can swim well

I believe it's a lifeskill "

Lifesaver course at school. Fetch a brick from the bottom of the pool

Chelmsford

50 meters from the sea,?

Bullshit

North West

"50 meters from the sea,?

Bullshit "

Yes, with all the sewage discharges, it quite possibly is

Chelmsford

"50 meters from the sea,?

Bullshit

Yes, with all the sewage discharges, it quite possibly is "

Not you again

By *estarossa.Woman  over a year ago

Flagrante

No ifs or buts..... "

My daughter is 10 and this year All of their year have had lessons, they arent optional.

Lol my dad just threw my off a boat. Jumped in with me and taught me.

Chelmsford

Tom refused swimming lessons at school but look at him now

North West

"Lol my dad just threw my off a boat. Jumped in with me and taught me."

My Dad would have drowned himself doing that. He's never learned to swim. That's the thing - not all parents can swim.

By *egasus NobMan  over a year ago

Merton

I can't swim

It's odd to me no offense.

By *SuperbMan  over a year ago

now in Germany

It’s a shame for the children not learning.

I’m a coach for military swimming in my spare time which is very rewarding, just hope more coaches help children too.

Both the first and middle school I went to had pools and as a result had swimming lessons twice a week spring to autumn. Both pools were closed a few years ago as too costly to maintain and repair.

I still swim regularly and can't remember not being able too x

Our kids school still takes them for lessons but we have to contribute now. We were a bit miffed about it at first but when they showed us the cost for the class including bud etc you can see why a lot have stopped doing it.

We’re lucky that we have the spare money for it but swimming shouldn’t be a privilege! I actually think it’s a disaster waiting to happen not ensuring kids can swim. Heaven forbid there’s a tragedy that changes things! Too many kids drown year on year already!

My dad took me swimming when I was 4 he taught me to swim but I was lucky my primary school gave us swimming lessons and my secondary school had a pool too.

By *asycouple1971Couple  over a year ago

midlands

We are not middle class and had to pay for our kids swimming lessons.

By * o yWoman  over a year ago

Liverpool

Ok Ill drop this and run. My parents taught me how to swim as did my friends parents..no swimming lessons

By * o yWoman  over a year ago

Liverpool

Well said. Especially that last paragraph! "

Typed like a Boss who understands

My children never had swimming lessons, i just took them swimming frequently from just after birth. It was the same for me too.

I couldn't have afforded actual lessons anyway but we all loved swimming for pleasure anyway.

I'm working class.

By *idnight RamblerMan  over a year ago

Pershore

Ultimately it's the parent's responsibility to impart life skills to their kids. That includes swimming, riding bikes, driving as well as social skills. We are increasingly morphing into a country which expects the government to do everything for us. Is that what we want?

By *usie pTV/TS  over a year ago

taunton

I don't think it is absolutely necessary for parents to be able to swim to teach their kids in a pool, obviously it would help but most kids love being in a pool and if they keep trying will soon learn and the parents could learn at the same time, you can use buoyancy aids to start with if need be and in a nice heated indoor pool it is quite pleasant time, going to have to pay to get in most likely but its not that expensive probably not much more than buying a coffee or a pint. I learnt at secondary school but have never mastered it to any degree to be of much use in an emergency can only now manage a length of the local pool with out stopping and never been able to float. My grandson who will be 6 soon can swim like a fish but he has had plenty of opportunity and loves it, when I took him last week he came back and told his mum that grandad was drowning lol.

PS I hope for the sake of any girlfriends that Tom may have that he is not adverse to contact with water in the shower.

Forum Mod

East Sussex

"Ultimately it's the parent's responsibility to impart life skills to their kids. That includes swimming, riding bikes, driving as well as social skills. We are increasingly morphing into a country which expects the government to do everything for us. Is that what we want?"

Only when it suits us...

» Add a new message to this topic