FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > What's the green stuff you get with sushi?

What's the green stuff you get with sushi?

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *partharmony OP   Couple  over a year ago

Ruislip

I got a tray of sushi from a local place for my dinner last night. There was a lump of green putty (I found festering under my armpit one summer's morn) that one could describe as a nugget of purest green.

The sushi had avocado in it so I thought this putty might be made principally of avocado. I took a big bite of it and very quickly regretted it.

What is it? Does anybody like it?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Wasabi, also called Japanese horseradish

By *iquidsilkyMan  over a year ago

Edinburgh

It's probably wasabi paste, a Japanese horseradish.. Hot and spicy, just the way we like it!!

By *o new WinksMan  over a year ago

BSE

If in doubt, go see your doctor.

Mm mm mmmmm. Pistachio Icecream.

*one for the Disney fans.

It’s disgusting is what it is. Wasabi can get in the bin with the pickled ginger.

By *dam1971Man  over a year ago

Bedford

It’s all about the quantity - dab a tiny amount of wasabi onto one side of what you’re eating, then dip the other side into the soy sauce and eat the whole lot. Yummy!

Some people mix a tiny bit of wasabi into the soy sauce, if you do this make sure you do it on the side of the plate so you can add a little more of either, to taste. That also leaves some of it separate because some foods taste better with one or the other, not the combined gloop.

By *bi HaiveMan  over a year ago
Forum Mod

Cheeseville, Somerset

I'd rather have the wasabi than the sushi to be honest.......

A

Shreks spunk

By *p4fun60Couple  over a year ago

Hampshire

You can actually buy nuts coated in wasabi as well, although they blow your head off & clear-cut your sinus they're really moreish lol

By *ushandkittyCouple  over a year ago

Gloucester

A lot of 'wasabi' in the UK is european horseradish, mixed with green food colouring and sometimes some Chinese mustard.

Oh side note, funny story - my friend and i went to our fave japanese restaurant (sadly closed now) and the sushi rocked up - I'm vegan and there was, what my friend proclaimed to be, smoked salmon on the plate. So she generously offered to eat it all, in one go... She was salivating at that point... She picked it all up and stuffed it in her gob.. And then turned the funniest of colours

It was pickled ginger which made much more sense on a plate of vegan sushi on relection

By *ackformore100Man  over a year ago

Tin town

"I got a tray of sushi from a local place for my dinner last night. There was a lump of green putty (I found festering under my armpit one summer's morn) that one could describe as a nugget of purest green.

The sushi had avocado in it so I thought this putty might be made principally of avocado. I took a big bite of it and very quickly regretted it.

What is it? Does anybody like it? "

... except, of course, it's not really a nugget, it's more of a splat.

By *ou only live onceMan  over a year ago

London

"It’s disgusting is what it is. Wasabi can get in the bin with the pickled ginger. "

Amen!

It's lush is what it is.

"Shreks spunk "

I laughed way too much at that.

It's always the stupid stuff that gets me

By *icecouple561Couple  over a year ago
Forum Mod

East Sussex

Wasabi?

I've got a lot of Japanese friends and until you've tasted actual Japanese wasabi you haven't had the top of your head properly blown off

By *ssex_tomMan  over a year ago

Chelmsford

There are little white grains that look like compressed rice. What is that stuff? Is it minced fish?

Love wasabi! The sinus blast you get is euphoric

Tin town

"There are little white grains that look like compressed rice. What is that stuff? Is it minced fish?"

Its been cut with bicarb of soda to stretch it..?

Ruislip

"I got a tray of sushi from a local place for my dinner last night. There was a lump of green putty (I found festering under my armpit one summer's morn) that one could describe as a nugget of purest green.

... except, of course, it's not really a nugget, it's more of a splat."

You got the Blackadder reference. I don't think many would have got the reference to Vogon poetry.

Ruislip

"It’s all about the quantity - dab a tiny amount of wasabi onto one side of what you’re eating, then dip the other side into the soy sauce and eat the whole lot. Yummy!

Some people mix a tiny bit of wasabi into the soy sauce, if you do this make sure you do it on the side of the plate so you can add a little more of either, to taste. That also leaves some of it separate because some foods taste better with one or the other, not the combined gloop."

This sounds a lot more sensible than what I did.

Tin town

... except, of course, it's not really a nugget, it's more of a splat.

You got the Blackadder reference. I don't think many would have got the reference to Vogon poetry. "

Guilty as charged.

» Add a new message to this topic