FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > What a World we live in

What a World we live in

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

Uganda's parliament has passed a new law which criminalises identifying as LGBT, and threatens them with 10 years in jail.

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *avinaTVTV/TS  over a year ago

Transsexual Transylvania

This is, unfortunately, not uncommon in a lot of African countries. I lived in Botswana for a year, and homosexuality was illegal there (I don't know if that's changed).

South Africa now has a very progressive constitution, but when I was a teen it was illegal in Apartheid South Africa. The very first thing that the commanding officer announced to us on our first day in the army was that they didn't want "moffies" (derogatory term for gays) in this unit. If you were one, better transfer out now, because if you stayed you'd end up dead!

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Does seem like the world is going backwards

It's sad

20 years just for identifying as non straight!

"It's sad

20 years just for identifying as non straight! "

By *naswingdressWoman  over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

I believe homosexuality was technically illegal in Tasmania until 1997.

I think progress is fragile and increasingly threatened.

Still illegal in dubai too

By *hePerkyPumpkinTV/TS  over a year ago

Bristol

It's heart breaking to see it, makes you happy to live here

Unrelated but sort of relevant, States in the US are passing anti-Drag legislation now...

Manchester (she/her)

"It's heart breaking to see it, makes you happy to live here

Unrelated but sort of relevant, States in the US are passing anti-Drag legislation now... "

The US is what I had in mind when I said that progress is fragile

By *hePerkyPumpkinTV/TS  over a year ago

Bristol

Unrelated but sort of relevant, States in the US are passing anti-Drag legislation now...

The US is what I had in mind when I said that progress is fragile "

I guess these things just take time... A really long time

It's really bad. Seems as though so many countries going backwards. Hypocritical also as many involved in passing these laws are actually closeted. Dangerous too - it's ambiguous and could be applied to *anyone*, at any time, grudge dependent

Manchester (she/her)

The US is what I had in mind when I said that progress is fragile

I guess these things just take time... A really long time "

And the American right have been campaigning for fifty years to undo it.

We can never be complacent, unfortunately.

My answer is fill the global parliaments with drag queens

By *avinaTVTV/TS  over a year ago

Transsexual Transylvania

I feel very much that our human freedoms are very fragile, and constantly under assault. I particularly feel it having grown up in a repressive country (albeit on the advantageous side of the repression - i was still a brutalising and toxic environment).

It's very sad

By *red333Man  over a year ago

Dorchester

"Uganda's parliament has passed a new law which criminalises identifying as LGBT, and threatens them with 10 years in jail.

"

Yes but youd be in jail with a captive audience

And yet people still question the relevance of Pride in the new millennium.

There’s so much going on around the world including so called developed countries such as USA where simple expression is being criminalised. Yes folks, pride is still as relevant as ever

"Uganda's parliament has passed a new law which criminalises identifying as LGBT, and threatens them with 10 years in jail.

Yes but youd be in jail with a captive audience "

Meaning?

Manchester (she/her)

"And yet people still question the relevance of Pride in the new millennium.

There’s so much going on around the world including so called developed countries such as USA where simple expression is being criminalised. Yes folks, pride is still as relevant as ever "

Yes but youd be in jail with a captive audience

Meaning?"

I’m guessing a crude joke referencing prison sexual assault but perhaps I’m wrong ?

Unfortunately if two actual, physical human men or women desire each other they are destined for eternity in hell. A place that does not exist in any provable form. Its an ongoing issue in many areas.....

For what it's worth, I think these are the beginnings of the last days of Rome. Time for a global uprising

Manchester (she/her)

"Unfortunately if two actual, physical human men or women desire each other they are destined for eternity in hell. A place that does not exist in any provable form. Its an ongoing issue in many areas.....

For what it's worth, I think these are the beginnings of the last days of Rome. Time for a global uprising "

Many define hell as a place where God is absent.

If God is someone who'd penalise people for same sex attraction, then a place without him sounds ideal. Ta, God, off you fuck

By *rder66Man  over a year ago

Tatooine

Most countries use this as a form of control to maintain power over people, in a sense it is a form of population control. If you can create a form of discrimination and use laws to maintain the discrimination and education to brainwash people, people become more inclined to feel powerless to speak up as the result could mean punishment by death or prison as well as the shame to their families.

Even in this country people are not, in many cases, free to be who they are, regardless of gender or sexuality or even which sociol group they identify with.

But I normaly just talk bollocks anyway.

"I feel very much that our human freedoms are very fragile, and constantly under assault. I particularly feel it having grown up in a repressive country (albeit on the advantageous side of the repression - i was still a brutalising and toxic environment)."

This unfortunately people have misread freedoms to be do as exactly what they like, which to a point works, but they have forgotten the first principle of a humane society which is to look after each other, now in nature there is a percentage of animals that are homosexual and weirdly enough (don’t tell the religious zealots) that percentage is the same for humans, all this evidence is hidden because we have to abide by religious ideals which say that can’t be so, which over time creates division and tribalism, and now the media have control rather than religion then we have no chance, we are fucked because apparently society needs to be controlled, well of course it does, no control means anarchy, but rather than use outdated ideals and arbitrary rules, we should be having a nuanced conversation, if we did that the gender/ sexuality problem isn’t actually a problem, and we can get on with real issues, it will never happen because there’s more money in war

By *inky_couple2020Couple  over a year ago

North West

"Still illegal in dubai too "

Sadly, being LGBTQIA+ is illegal in a good number of countries around the world, with varying sanctions. From a slap on the wrist, all the way up to execution

It's abhorrent.

Someone once said that, homosexuality is nature’s form of population control. I guess from purely a biological perspective that makes sense!

I think people should be free to do as they will, dress and act as they want and governments represent the policies they were elected.

It’s not my place to judge how other countries, cultures, religions handle said issues. I am definitely uncomfortable with imposing perceived “enlightened” perspectives on anyone. All people should be free to think, talk and express themselves. That’s my perspective, however if people see things differently, it’s not for me to judge.

But the whole LGBTQBDAFG+-/@ i find really annoying. Massive bandwagon, and I cant bare a bandwagon. Much prefer a wagon wheel.

LGBT+ works for me.

The + acknowledges that there will be those who fall outside the 4 letters used, but still deserve acknowledgement.

In terns of Uganda, what seems to me to be additionally abhorrent is criminal arising those who identify as such regardless of whether they "commit" any act. Thats a whole extra level of nasty.

For the record I do not accept or condone criminalising homosexual acts between consenting adult people.

This is what the media want, they want you in a bandwagon with torches ready to shut down the opposition if there is any, nature has its way, we should just accept it embrace it, live everyone regardless of orientation skin colour etc, but to control the masses they invented religion and voila…. Derision through division, if that makes me some loony left hippy then peace and love to you all, and within all of this the media have created a shitstorm about pronouns, which in turn has created further problems with gender clinics and now it’s about rights, what about responsibilities, we have a responsibility to our nearest and our neighbour without question, we are in this mess because no one’s taking responsibility for anything, it’s just neanderthals throwing shit at each other

By *edeWoman  over a year ago

the abyss

It's like one dolly step forward, 10 giant steps back at the moment and that's just crap

By *4bimMan  over a year ago

Farnborough Hampshire

this has been going on for years in uganda.

its only just been made law.

North West

"this has been going on for years in uganda.

its only just been made law."

Ah, that makes it better then?! To be inscribed into law is, in my opinion, even worse than it "going on" within the culture of a country. For discrimination to be etched into the very rules that all are supposed to follow, with criminal sanction for breaching them, is horrendous. Remember, sanctions in some countries includes death.

its only just been made law."

That's what the post was about.

The passing of the law.

By *4bimMan  over a year ago

Farnborough Hampshire

The passing of the law."

look for the youtube video:

morning breeze topical discussion nbs interview with pepe julian onziema.

it goes on for just over an hour but that is what uganda is like.

North West

The passing of the law.

"

Do you mind clarifying if this is suggesting we should just be accepting of what Uganda is like? Perhaps we should also have been accepting of other discriminatory laws, like apartheid?

The passing of the law.

"

I have.

And others similar.

My outrage still stands

Manchester (she/her)

The passing of the law.

Do you mind clarifying if this is suggesting we should just be accepting of what Uganda is like? Perhaps we should also have been accepting of other discriminatory laws, like apartheid? "

One of the first laws in Australia as a nation was the White Australia Policy. And by "white", the policy was relaxed after WW2 to include Italy.

Indigenous Australians were not counted as people until the 1960s.

Meh. That's just how Australia is. Fuck all that can be done.

By *iltsTSgirlTV/TS  over a year ago

chichester

"

western countries should stop giving aid money and pull these heathens into line more if they wish to continue taking money .

By *ucka39Man  over a year ago

Newcastle

I'm sure it'll be same in Pakistan and most other countries

By *ove2pleaseseukMan  over a year ago

Hastings

I think for lots it's the unknown

As in prisons, and I belive athletes have just band trans men in women events. The world is so far behind with the basics. As a guy it's not as bad but as a lady I'm not sure how I would feel.

Sorry probably not want you want to hear..

By *ts the taking part thatMan  over a year ago

southampton

"It's like one dolly step forward, 10 giant steps back at the moment and that's just crap "

Surely only in the case of Uganda, this country has gone out of its way to ensure Gay/bi rights.

Sturgeon has set it back a bit sadly in many eyes but I would fully expect people to feel as protected here as they could be.

The vast majority of people here just want to live & let live.

Seeing this on the news made me so sad

Mrs C xx

By *ealitybitesMan  over a year ago

Belfast

Watch a series on Netflix called The Family to see how there are external influences involved in Uganda in relation to this law and in other countries as well.

Christian group with strong links to the White House and how they have dictated foreign policy.

The Family’s role in fiercely anti-LGBTQ politics in Romania and Uganda are discussed in some detail.

» Add a new message to this topic