FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Is Bob Geldof a Rat

Is Bob Geldof a Rat

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *ssex_tom OP   Man  over a year ago

Chelmsford

Reports that Bob Geldof twice called Sam Smith the James Bond Singer, he or him on breakfast TV. Should this cause outrage?

Reply privately (closed, thread got too big)

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

I'm very surprised as I thought he was decent. Perhaps it was a genuine mistake.

By *ixey and CopperCouple  over a year ago

Taunton

"Reports that Bob Geldof twice called Sam Smith the James Bond Singer, he or him on breakfast TV. Should this cause outrage?

"

For calling Sam Smith "The James Bond Singer?"

There's nothing that makes my blood boil more than someone I don't know misgendering someone else I don't know, Tom.

Do They Know It's Christmas will never sound the same.

"There's nothing that makes my blood boil more than someone I don't know misgendering someone else I don't know, Tom.

Do They Know It's Christmas will never sound the same."

By *illie fitMan  over a year ago

wonderland

What a load of bollocks

By *odgerMooreMan  over a year ago

Carlisle

I just refer to Sam Smith as ‘ that daft prick with the whiney voice’ which I believe is gender neutral as I would hate to cause offence obviously

"What a load of bollocks "

Smith is unequivocally and unambiguously a man so he is addressing him the way I would.

It’s good

I'm afraid to say that I'm with Sir Bob on this one. He's got more talent in his little finger than the attention singing screeching wannabee

By *ungleJayMan  over a year ago

Dublin

Well, yeah… a Boomtown Rat

By *iltsTSgirlTV/TS  over a year ago

chichester

Tbh I thought he passed away years ago. You learn something new each day

Sam Smith wants to be called "them", which is them's right. Bob Geldof called him "him" which is his right. Not confusing at all

Chelmsford

"I'm afraid to say that I'm with Sir Bob on this one. He's got more talent in his little finger than the attention singing screeching wannabee"

Bob never sang a Bond song though

By *hePerkyPumpkinTV/TS  over a year ago

Bristol

"Tbh I thought he passed away years ago. You learn something new each day "

Nah Sam Smith is still going

By *izzy RascallMan  over a year ago

Cardiff

I thought he was a Chinese inflatable spying device waiting for the right gust of wind.

"Bob never sang a Bond song though "

Surely he did, there was the song about silicon chips inside her head being switched to overload - clearly reference to View to a Kill?

By *izredCouple  over a year ago

mid cornwall

"There's nothing that makes my blood boil more than someone I don't know misgendering someone else I don't know, Tom.

Do They Know It's Christmas will never sound the same."

*Do HE know its Christmas?

By *ohn KanakaMan  over a year ago

Not all that North of North London

[Removed by poster at 24/02/23 15:37:22]

So can any of those celebrating misgendering on this thread explain what they get from that?

By *an4funMan  over a year ago

london

"Bob never sang a Bond song though

Surely he did, there was the song about silicon chips inside her head being switched to overload - clearly reference to View to a Kill?"

Or the COVID/Bill Gates theory

By *ora the explorerWoman  over a year ago

Paradise, Herts

No. After 52 years of doing it I would automatically call a man a he. If he did it on purpose then yeah he’s a twat.

"Smith is unequivocally and unambiguously a man so he is addressing him the way I would.

It’s good "

Only they aren't are they?

By *ou only live onceMan  over a year ago

London

"Smith is unequivocally and unambiguously a man so he is addressing him the way I would.

It’s good

Only he isn't is he?"

If I've understood correctly, John, it doesn't matter how people ask to be referred to, we just get to choose ourselves. It's all good.

By *heGateKeeperMan  over a year ago

Stratford

Watched it after the uproar and not seeing it. I think I’d have a different opinion if Phil/Holly corrected Bob and there was no effort to correctly gender Sam

"I'm afraid to say that I'm with Sir Bob on this one. He's got more talent in his little finger than the attention singing screeching wannabee

Bob never sang a Bond song though "

Neither did Sam Smith, just sounded like a death durge. When Heart radio was playing it constantly every 4 songs overnight, me and my colleagues had to add out own overture to it. It had customers and staff in fits of laughter

I'm with Bob on this, sorry but have no issue with people wanting to call themselves them etc but there's 2 genders male/female it'd on your birth cert love and when u die its on your death cert.

It’s good

Only he isn't is he?

If I've understood correctly, John, it doesn't matter how people ask to be referred to, we just get to choose ourselves. It's all good. "

I'm obviously gutted that you quoted my faux pas there

It’s good

Only they aren't are they?"

Yea he is.

By *cottish guy 555Man  over a year ago

London

"Well, yeah… a Boomtown Rat"

That was my first thought

By *orfolkboy90Man  over a year ago

kings lynn

"Tbh I thought he passed away years ago. You learn something new each day

Nah Sam Smith is still going "

Unfortunately haha

London

It’s good

Only he isn't is he?

If I've understood correctly, John, it doesn't matter how people ask to be referred to, we just get to choose ourselves. It's all good.

I'm obviously gutted that you quoted my faux pas there

"

Oh yes, sorry! And my comment wasn't referring to yours anyway! Doh!

"I'm with Bob on this, sorry but have no issue with people wanting to call themselves them etc but there's 2 genders male/female it'd on your birth cert love and when u die its on your death cert.

"

Ignoring the 2 genders falsehood, yiu know that bitgh certificates can be legally be reissued and a death certificate reflect reassignment?

By *aitonelMan  over a year ago

Liverpool

Shit happens. I can't speak for Geldof, but I have very little interest or knowledge in Sam Smith. I'm going to subconsciously drift in to saying he/him. Very likely multiple times in a conversation.

Same goes for any and everyone else I know little about, even more so when it comes to non-binary and less obvious gender choices. I'm not there to intentionally hurt feelings but respect that there is every chance I will get it wrong.

Paradise, Herts

"I'm with Bob on this, sorry but have no issue with people wanting to call themselves them etc but there's 2 genders male/female it'd on your birth cert love and when u die its on your death cert.

"

So even if they requested you to call them them you would purposely call them he/she ?

It’s good

Yea he is."

Okay as you are doubling down on this, what do you gain by refusing to acknowledge someone's chosen pronouns?

Cardiff

Is it Sir Bob Geldof? Or just Bob Geldof?

London

So even if they requested you to call them them you would purposely call them he/she ?"

Exactly this. You may or may not agree with it, and I'm an old man so it's confusing for me too, but if someone asks me to refer to them in a certain way, I'm going to do my best to do that. Feels like common decency to me.

It’s good

Yea he is.

Okay as you are doubling down on this, what do you gain by refusing to acknowledge someone's chosen pronouns?

"

Sanity.

""Smith is unequivocally and unambiguously a man so he is addressing him the way I would.

It’s good

Only he isn't is he?"

This is without doubt the most hilarious thing I've read in months.

Paradise, Herts

"Shit happens. I can't speak for Geldof, but I have very little interest or knowledge in Sam Smith. I'm going to subconsciously drift in to saying he/him. Very likely multiple times in a conversation.

Same goes for any and everyone else I know little about, even more so when it comes to non-binary and less obvious gender choices. I'm not there to intentionally hurt feelings but respect that there is every chance I will get it wrong."

I agree. I refuse to walk around on hot coals worrying about getting the he/she thing wrong but to do it on purpose is just fucking obnoxious.

Ignoring the 2 genders falsehood, yiu know that bitgh certificates can be legally be reissued and a death certificate reflect reassignment?"

Can you have your birth cert updated from her to them?

Didn't know that

London

It’s good

Yea he is.

Sanity. "

Genuinely? So if someone told you it upset them - and ignore Sam Smith for a second - you'd ignore their request for your sanity?

It’s good

Yea he is.

Sanity. "

So being deliberately disrespectful keeps you sane? Are you sure about that?

So even if they requested you to call them them you would purposely call them he/she ?"

If they asked I would but I'm not going to apologise if I got ot wrong, crikey I can't even remember my family members names half the time

It’s good

Yea he is.

Sanity.

So being deliberately disrespectful keeps you sane? Are you sure about that?"

In this case. 100% yes.

But hey let’s just agree to differ. It’s easier all round.

Ignoring the 2 genders falsehood, yiu know that bitgh certificates can be legally be reissued and a death certificate reflect reassignment?

Didn't know that "

I didn't say that. I was just pointing out the huge flaw in your birth and death certificate analogy as somehow confirming that there are only 2 genders is flawed as it is legally changed for people who have gender reassignment surgery

Paradise, Herts

So even if they requested you to call them them you would purposely call them he/she ?

If they asked I would but I'm not going to apologise if I got ot wrong, crikey I can't even remember my family members names half the time "

Yeah I get that. We automatically say he and she and always have. I won’t be worrying about it but I wouldn’t do it on purpose. I’m unlikely to have people in my life where I have to worry about that anyway to be honest

Do They Know It's Christmas will never sound the same.

*Do HE know its Christmas?"

Cardiff

What toilet would Sam Smith go in in Morrisons?

Male or Female?

It’s good

Yea he is.

Sanity.

In this case. 100% yes.

But hey let’s just agree to differ. It’s easier all round."

Sorry but I'm not agreeing to differ. I'm trying to understand the psyche of people who intententionally misgender people.

To me it seems unnecessary, it seems cruel, it seems like bullying. But I realise some people obviously view it as perfectly acceptable and I'd live to understand why.

So how does it help your sanity?

How would you feel if people started misegendering you as a female?

Didn't know that

I didn't say that. I was just pointing out the huge flaw in your birth and death certificate analogy as somehow confirming that there are only 2 genders is flawed as it is legally changed for people who have gender reassignment surgery "

' sex ' is understood as male or female , a trans person can change to male or female which is legally recognised but " they is not"

So if Sam wants to become Sally good for him/her

The point I was making " they/them"

And in all honesty with all the crap that's going on someone is annoyed because they weren't called they.

My mum calls me by sisters name regularly I dont get in a huff

""Smith is unequivocally and unambiguously a man so he is addressing him the way I would.

It’s good

Only he isn't is he?

This is without doubt the most hilarious thing I've read in months."

Really.

Person accidentally misgenders someone, immediately retracts it and corrects themselves.

I'll be honest it doesn't feel like comedy gold to me

If they asked I would but I'm not going to apologise if I got ot wrong, crikey I can't even remember my family members names half the time

Yeah I get that. We automatically say he and she and always have. I won’t be worrying about it but I wouldn’t do it on purpose. I’m unlikely to have people in my life where I have to worry about that anyway to be honest "

Yep true and I definitely wouldn't go out of my way to do it.

Carlisle

"What toilet would Sam Smith go in in Morrisons?

Male or Female?

"

Disabled …. Not for any other reason that its unisex…. So they wouldn’t have to make an incredibly difficult choice as to whether their non binary ….. ness precluded them from either binary choice or they could just piss themselves whilst wrestling with the decision.

If I remember I read an article lately where a " man" who had committed numerous serious sexual attacks on women had changed his gender to female and was not been charged for the actual offence,

Where do we go with that one ?

By *ad66Couple  over a year ago

Manchester

If I put a lamborghini body kit on my car & insist everyone refers to it as the lambo then that's just showing my total disregard for engineering & the glaringly obvious that it's really a Toyota avensis which now looks like a complete twat!

By *ad66Couple  over a year ago

Manchester

"If I remember I read an article lately where a " man" who had committed numerous serious sexual attacks on women had changed his gender to female and was not been charged for the actual offence,

"

I think that was in America?

"I'm afraid to say that I'm with Sir Bob on this one. He's got more talent in his little finger than the attention singing screeching wannabee

I'd argue that Sam Smith hasn't either - he screeched it.

"Reports that Bob Geldof twice called Sam Smith the James Bond Singer, he or him on breakfast TV. Should this cause outrage?

"

No. Only to those that are outraged.

Carlisle

Didn't know that

I didn't say that. I was just pointing out the huge flaw in your birth and death certificate analogy as somehow confirming that there are only 2 genders is flawed as it is legally changed for people who have gender reassignment surgery

' sex ' is understood as male or female , a trans person can change to male or female which is legally recognised but " they is not"

So if Sam wants to become Sally good for him/her

The point I was making " they/them"

And in all honesty with all the crap that's going on someone is annoyed because they weren't called they.

My mum calls me by sisters name regularly I dont get in a huff"

It raises their profile every time they’re discussed- if they complain then they get press coverage and become topical…

"If I remember I read an article lately where a " man" who had committed numerous serious sexual attacks on women had changed his gender to female and was not been charged for the actual offence,

"

I'm pretty sure no one has not been charged based on changing their gender

Cardiff

Male or Female?

Disabled …. Not for any other reason that its unisex…. So they wouldn’t have to make an incredibly difficult choice as to whether their non binary ….. ness precluded them from either binary choice or they could just piss themselves whilst wrestling with the decision. "

Good point

By *ealitybitesMan  over a year ago

Belfast

I'm pretty sure no one has not been charged based on changing their gender "

A man in Spain who beat his female partner for opposing his transition has avoided charges of gender-based violence by legally changing his identification to “female” and adopting a woman’s name.

The Iowa Attorney General’s Office is no longer seeking the commitment of a former Midwest Christian Services student convicted of myriad sex crimes because the individual now identifies as a woman.

Court records show the state dismissed the application on Jan. 9. Attorney general spokesman Lynn Hicks wouldn’t comment on the reason for the dismissal other than to say “an offender’s hormone levels are an important part of substantiating an offender’s likelihood of recidivism.”

Just two examples

I'm pretty sure no one has not been charged based on changing their gender "

Just looked it up, she has been charged alright

It’s good

Only he isn't is he?

Really.

Person accidentally misgenders someone, immediately retracts it and corrects themselves.

I'll be honest it doesn't feel like comedy gold to me "

"Accidently". Yeah, right. You did it because that's what you've been taught all your life, but now, because the fashion has changed, you're struggling to keep up the pose.

By *iltsTSgirlTV/TS  over a year ago

chichester

I had an experience similar with this. A woman was introduced to me by some friends and later in conversation told by a friend I am a transgender woman which up to that point she didn’t know .

The woman decided to start on referring to me as him / he / guy for about 10 minutes , I politely pulled her to one side and asked her quietly would she be so kind to remove her head out of her cunt for a few minutes mate .

She got really angry over it but I laughed it off by dismissing her with a click of my fingers / hand gesture wave Infront of her as I turned away telling her she can leave the group now .

She left but later told my friends she thought I was extremely rude arrogant and nasty but they told her I simply reflected back her ignorance / arrogance .

Now if we are in the group she either lurks In the back of the group when I show up. It’s quite funny really as I don’t feel awkward at all with it .

Paradise, Herts

"

What prison would they go in?

Might have just been an honest mistake if he wasn't told beforehand

By *ean counterMan  over a year ago

Kettering

I watched him perform live with the Boomtown Rats at Carfest a few years ago. I liked the Boomtown Rats but Bob Geldof was a rude, arrogant dickhead ! Chris Evans (one of the organisers of this family event) was sitting at the side of the stage with his head in his hands

What prison would they go in? "

She's going into a female prison but will be kept separate from general population till they assess if she's a danger

By *penbicoupleCouple  over a year ago

Northampton

"So can any of those celebrating misgendering on this thread explain what they get from that?"

I'm guessing it makes them feel safe, along with being big for mocking others?

I had an experience similar with this. A woman was introduced to me by some friends and later in conversation told by a friend I am a transgender woman which up to that point she didn’t know .

The woman decided to start on referring to me as him / he / guy for about 10 minutes , I politely pulled her to one side and asked her quietly would she be so kind to remove her head out of her cunt for a few minutes mate .

She got really angry over it but I laughed it off by dismissing her with a click of my fingers / hand gesture wave Infront of her as I turned away telling her she can leave the group now .

She left but later told my friends she thought I was extremely rude arrogant and nasty but they told her I simply reflected back her ignorance / arrogance .

Now if we are in the group she either lurks In the back of the group when I show up. It’s quite funny really as I don’t feel awkward at all with it .

"

I was at a social where there was a guy who sometimes dresses as a female, I've met him in both situations and called him by his name when he was a guy and when he was dressed as a female I called him by that name, and if was in the situation again I'd politely ask what to call them.

But in a general conversation I'm not going to stop everytime to think what am I supposed to say.

It's getting to the point when you have no idea what to call, or how to address people these days. It seems no matter what you do or say these days, someone is always going to be offended. If this is a major thing that we have to worry about in the world today, then society if fucked...

Just my opinion, sorry for any offence to anyone, none is/was intended...

Yeah I do think non binary people who like to be referred to as 'them' do need to appreciate it is a learning curve for alot of us even though most of us (me included!) don't mean to offend.

It isn't how we are used to speaking from primary school level education and I think alot of people will make mistakes without even knowing.

It’s good

Only he isn't is he?

Really.

I'll be honest it doesn't feel like comedy gold to me

"Accidently". Yeah, right. You did it because that's what you've been taught all your life, but now, because the fashion has changed, you're struggling to keep up the pose. "

Or possibly because I was responding to a post referencing he and followed their lead.

I'm not sure what point yiu are trying to prove here? That everyone, however conscious they are of respecting pronouns slips up occasionally?

"

Why on earth did your 'friend' inform her that you are trans?

I'd be pissed off at them both.

"It's getting to the point when you have no idea what to call, or how to address people these days. It seems no matter what you do or say these days, someone is always going to be offended. If this is a major thing that we have to worry about in the world today, then society if fucked...

Just my opinion, sorry for any offence to anyone, none is/was intended... "

This 100% people seem to get offended at the slightest thing so much going on in the world to be worried about.

I know as a person as long as I get through life knowing I've never I'll treated anyone and if I offend someone I'd apologise.

"It's getting to the point when you have no idea what to call, or how to address people these days. It seems no matter what you do or say these days, someone is always going to be offended. If this is a major thing that we have to worry about in the world today, then society if fucked...

This 100% people seem to get offended at the slightest thing so much going on in the world to be worried about.

I know as a person as long as I get through life knowing I've never I'll treated anyone and if I offend someone I'd apologise."

Exactly, it's not always our fault if we are not sure, this whole thing is steam rolling along quite fast, and a lot of us old dogs take time to learn new tricks

By *ools and the brainCouple  over a year ago

couple, us we him her.

Now I'm really outraged and offended.

I'm so angry,oh wait no I couldn't give a shit.

Northampton

"It's getting to the point when you have no idea what to call, or how to address people these days."

So what? Life's tough sometimes.

Presumably you made it through the 70's and 80's okay? Some dodgy fashion choices there made it unclear how to address people. But I'm sure you bravely soldiered on.

How do you refer to a baby if you're unclear if it's a boy or girl?

"

Spot on!

Liverpool

"It's getting to the point when you have no idea what to call, or how to address people these days.

Presumably you made it through the 70's and 80's okay? Some dodgy fashion choices there made it unclear how to address people. But I'm sure you bravely soldiered on.

How do you refer to a baby if you're unclear if it's a boy or girl? "

Call the baby a crotch gremlin and wait to be corrected by the parent

Northampton

"Yeah I do think non binary people who like to be referred to as 'them' do need to appreciate it is a learning curve for alot of us even though most of us (me included!) don't mean to offend."

Every nb I've ever met has been incredibly gracious. Doesn't always go both ways though, as this thread demonstrates.

Northampton

Spot on!"

Intersex?

I know as a person as long as I get through life knowing I've never I'll treated anyone and if I offend someone I'd apologise.

Exactly, it's not always our fault if we are not sure, this whole thing is steam rolling along quite fast, and a lot of us old dogs take time to learn new tricks "

I think the point has been made several times on this thread that there's a world of difference between accidentally and deliberately misgendering someone. I'm confident most people have no problem with an accidental misgendering but repeated or deliberate misgendering is completely different abd despite ehst some on here seem to feel not acceptable

By *eedsmale36Man  over a year ago

Leeds

"

I’m covering my ears like a kid, when your words mean nothing I go La La La !

Liverpool

"Yeah I do think non binary people who like to be referred to as 'them' do need to appreciate it is a learning curve for alot of us even though most of us (me included!) don't mean to offend.

Every nb I've ever met has been incredibly gracious. Doesn't always go both ways though, as this thread demonstrates. "

Oh I've met some right 'orrible cunts of multiple "accepting" genders that hurl all kinds of abuse as soon as you even look like you might even hesitate on which pronoun to use.

Witnessed it as the target of the abuse, and as a 3rd party witness.

Both sides are full of absolutely vile and unaccepting people - even when wanting acceptance themselves.

By *tsJustKateWoman  over a year ago

London

"I just refer to Sam Smith as ‘ that daft prick with the whiney voice’ which I believe is gender neutral as I would hate to cause offence obviously "

Snap!

By *tsJustKateWoman  over a year ago

London

I'd just not bother referring to them at all!

It’s good

Only they aren't are they?"

Only he is,isn't he?

By *eyond PurityCouple  over a year ago

Lincolnshire

We are going to get to a stage where we won’t know what to call different people soon. He/she/they/those.

My dad has called every woman flower since I’ve been born - I might start adopting this attitude . Pick something like boss for guys…

Spot on!

Intersex? "

No such thing. That would be a congenital defect,like a cleft palate.

By *etWetWet453Couple  over a year ago

CAMBERLEY

The only `Binary` I`ve ever known about was in maths, along with `Denary.`

It`s difficult to teach an old dog new tricks.

Spot on!

Intersex?

No such thing. That would be a congenital defect,like a cleft palate. "

Spot on!

Intersex? "

Nope. DSD people hate being lumped in with this

CAMBERLEY

"

IT

"We are going to get to a stage where we won’t know what to call different people soon. He/she/they/those.

"

Adding they to he and she, increasing the option from 2 to 3, surelynits not that complicated?

"

How do you refer to a baby if you're unclear if it's a boy or girl?

IT"

Oh my days

By *oeBeansMan  over a year ago

Derby

Sure, why not

"

Possibly referred to him as a fellow rat?

Big geldoff's band was called the boomtown rats

By *ortyairCouple  over a year ago

Wallasey

Didn't know that

I didn't say that. I was just pointing out the huge flaw in your birth and death certificate analogy as somehow confirming that there are only 2 genders is flawed as it is legally changed for people who have gender reassignment surgery "

There are only two genders aren't there?

By *ackformore100Man  over a year ago

Tin town

"

I think it's going to be a very long time before we get everyone's chosen gender right, especially when they change it after 29 years and not everyone is aware of everyone else chosen gender. Conceptually it's still a new thing for lots of the population. Perhaps a bit of tolerance from them would go a long way. I'd like to be called Dr Prof sir duke Prince lady dame Queen of the road please...

Tin town

"The only `Binary` I`ve ever known about was in maths, along with `Denary.`

It`s difficult to teach an old dog new tricks."

Fetch the stick... So it can be beaten into you

Tin town

He built some things though.. Yes he did.

By *oncupiscentTonyMan  over a year ago

Kent

In Faversham Geldolf is renowned as an asshole

Northampton

"There are only two genders aren't there?"

No.

Didn't know that

I didn't say that. I was just pointing out the huge flaw in your birth and death certificate analogy as somehow confirming that there are only 2 genders is flawed as it is legally changed for people who have gender reassignment surgery There are only two genders aren't there?"

There are innumerable genders - gender/to engender simply means 'act' or dress or behave a certain way, feelings dependant (simplest way to explain it!)

There are 2 sexes. There can only ever be 2 sexes

Wallasey

"There are only two genders aren't there?

No."

What others are there?

No.What others are there?"

take your pick!

Northampton

"Intersex?

Nope. DSD people hate being lumped in with this "

I don't know how many you've worked with, but many young people I've known prefer to be called intersex.

"Intersex?

I don't know how many you've worked with, but many young people I've known prefer to be called intersex."

and?

Wallasey

So you can say you identify as a particular gender but you are still male or female, right?

Northampton

"Intersex?

I don't know how many you've worked with, but many young people I've known prefer to be called intersex.

and?"

And I was referring to you lumping all people with so-called DSD into one group and saying they hate being lumped in with intersex.

In a good many cases, that's incorrect.

Either way, I'm pleased that you want to respect how they like to be referred to.

Tin town

Just wonder how that interaction would go... "hi (person I've never met before) make sure you call me them"... "right you are... I wasn't intending to call you anything but in the event I do have to reference you I will certainly try and call you them....but as I've called men men for the last 50 years please understand I may not get it as you've requested every time."...

And now to our commercial break.

Northampton

"Intersex?

No such thing. That would be a congenital defect,like a cleft palate. "

You seem to be confusing a birth defect with natural biological variations.

"

I think the point has been made several times on this thread that there's a world of difference between accidentally and deliberately misgendering someone. I'm confident most people have no problem with an accidental misgendering but repeated or deliberate misgendering is completely different abd despite ehst some on here seem to feel not acceptable "

What's misgendering? To my silly uninformed brain I know of two genders, male and female.

People have the right to refer to themselves as what ever they want but don't throw a hissy fit if someone else calls a spade a spade.

I'm 5.1ft tall (short) but I identify as being 6ft tall and don't none of you wokers dare to call me different.

Wallasey

"Intersex?

and?

And I was referring to you lumping all people with so-called DSD into one group and saying they hate being lumped in with intersex.

In a good many cases, that's incorrect.

Either way, I'm pleased that you want to respect how they like to be referred to."

So what is intersex?

Tin town

Male or Female?

"

I was in a pub a few weeks ago and they'd gone to the trouble of 3 doors... Male, female and not sure...

Paradise, Herts

Just wonder how that interaction would go... "hi (person I've never met before) make sure you call me them"... "right you are... I wasn't intending to call you anything but in the event I do have to reference you I will certainly try and call you them....but as I've called men men for the last 50 years please understand I may not get it as you've requested every time."...

And now to our commercial break. "

I was simply meaning I say he, they say I would prefer to be referred to as they. I then don’t be a prick and purposely refer to them as he.

Quite simple really

Wallasey

I was simply meaning I say he, they say I would prefer to be referred to as they. I then don’t be a prick and purposely refer to them as he.

Quite simple really "

But aren't they and them plural terms?

Paradise, Herts

Quite simple really "

Don’t get me wrong. I think the whole thing is bonkers but I don’t see the point in deliberately trying to wind people up and like I said earlier it’s unlikely to ever affect my life so let them get on with it.

Male or Female?

I was in a pub a few weeks ago and they'd gone to the trouble of 3 doors... Male, female and not sure..."

I’m really too old for this shit. Only had Men and women most of my life not changing now

Tin town

It’s good

Yea he is.

Sanity.

In this case. 100% yes.

But hey let’s just agree to differ. It’s easier all round.

Sorry but I'm not agreeing to differ. I'm trying to understand the psyche of people who intententionally misgender people.

To me it seems unnecessary, it seems cruel, it seems like bullying. But I realise some people obviously view it as perfectly acceptable and I'd live to understand why.

So how does it help your sanity?

How would you feel if people started misegendering you as a female?"

What does misgendering actually mean and why if someone I didn't know called me a her is that going to get my panties all bunched up?

It's the folks who a) make it a big deal when it really isn't and b) make it into something it isn't and c) start picking on folks who either don't understand or refuse to play.

If someone want s to change their name or gender... That's seemingly their choice... If others call them whatever they call them, that's their choice.

Northampton

"But aren't they and them plural terms?"

Not exclusively so.

Both words have been used as non-gender-specific singular pronouns for a good few hundred years in English.

Drama queen status. Wants to be

different to everyone else

Prince wanted to. Be a symbol for fk sake

Liverpool

"

I think the point has been made several times on this thread that there's a world of difference between accidentally and deliberately misgendering someone. I'm confident most people have no problem with an accidental misgendering but repeated or deliberate misgendering is completely different abd despite ehst some on here seem to feel not acceptable

What's misgendering? To my silly uninformed brain I know of two genders, male and female.

People have the right to refer to themselves as what ever they want but don't throw a hissy fit if someone else calls a spade a spade.

I'm 5.1ft tall (short) but I identify as being 6ft tall and don't none of you wokers dare to call me different."

Male and female are sexes - biological

Man and woman are genders - role /perception/mental/spiritual/everything elseual.

Paradise, Herts

"Drama queen status. Wants to be

Prince wanted to. Be a symbol for fk sake "

I do believe a lot of it is just attention seeking. No doubt about it.

Northampton

"I’m really too old for this shit. Only had Men and women most of my life not changing now "

It's funny that it's usually younger trendy 'woke' people who get called things like "snowflake." Yet a good number of people really flake out if asked to use someone's preferred pronouns.

Some get terrible headaches at the mere thought of being respectful. Others apparently lose their sanity over such things. Life is such a struggle at times.

Liverpool

I do believe a lot of it is just attention seeking. No doubt about it. "

Sam Smiths case? Absolutely.

That may be how Sam feels as a person and I get that, but the over the top stuff is the issue.

But just like the Roald Dahl thing, it is pushed to the top by a PR team and media as a publicity stunt, all about being seen and noticed as a business model. Its a niche to tap in to.

Great for awareness but it becomes obnoxious and starts to rub people up the wrong way often gaining less acceptance in the long run.

Tin town

"It's getting to the point when you have no idea what to call, or how to address people these days.

"baby" though if they grow up to be a fab member there's a good chance they will not like being called baby.

Tin town

"Yeah I do think non binary people who like to be referred to as 'them' do need to appreciate it is a learning curve for alot of us even though most of us (me included!) don't mean to offend.

Every nb I've ever met has been incredibly gracious. Doesn't always go both ways though, as this thread demonstrates. "

I've not met any to my knowledge and certainly not been corrected upon any conversations with folks. But it seems there's a lot of offence being taken on behalf of others who may or not be offended if someone were to ever meet someone who has made that choice.

I do believe a lot of it is just attention seeking. No doubt about it. "

Lots of celebrities go nuts with all the fame. Thems just another one

Wallasey

"I’m really too old for this shit. Only had Men and women most of my life not changing now

It's funny that it's usually younger trendy 'woke' people who get called things like "snowflake." Yet a good number of people really flake out if asked to use someone's preferred pronouns.

Some get terrible headaches at the mere thought of being respectful. Others apparently lose their sanity over such things. Life is such a struggle at times. "

So why do some use preferred pronouns to identify themselves. Why are the 'older" pronouns not sufficient?

Northampton

"But just like the Roald Dahl thing, it is pushed to the top by a PR team and media as a publicity stunt, all about being seen and noticed as a business model. Its a niche to tap in to. "

I mean, Dahl was an explicit and unrepentant anti-semite who relied on numerous racist tropes. His edited battled with him on almost every book and his family apologised for his anti-semitic remarks after his death.

So, not sure it's just PR. (And as for the latest Dahl row, that was actually pushed by a standards review, not a PR department.)

Tin town

No.What others are there?"

Like complex maths, real and imaginary numbers and the concept of n dimensions...it seems There are as many as you choose.

I wonder if a zebra crossing gets the huffy fit if someone calls it a pelican or toucan crossing?

The mind boggles.

Paradise, Herts

No.What others are there?

Like complex maths, real and imaginary numbers and the concept of n dimensions...it seems There are as many as you choose. "

Think there’s about 30. Someone listed them once. Was too much for my little brain

Liverpool

"But just like the Roald Dahl thing, it is pushed to the top by a PR team and media as a publicity stunt, all about being seen and noticed as a business model. Its a niche to tap in to.

I mean, Dahl was an explicit and unrepentant anti-semite who relied on numerous racist tropes. His edited battled with him on almost every book and his family apologised for his anti-semitic remarks after his death.

So, not sure it's just PR. (And as for the latest Dahl row, that was actually pushed by a standards review, not a PR department.)"

Sam smiths entire image is a PR stunt. Just like David Bowie and just like lady gaga. It's a brand.

Sam may very well feel none binary which I'm all fine with, but it is exploited to the max by PR especially through controversy since they know the media will lap that shit up and result in this.

Wallasey

What does non binary mean?

Tin town

Quite simple really "

Sure... But that isn't misgendering someone nor cause for outrage and cancelling. Its a normal social encounter... "hi love" "please don't call me love" "OK"...

How else are we supposed to know what someone likes to be called / referenced as?

Paradise, Herts

Quite simple really

Sure... But that isn't misgendering someone nor cause for outrage and cancelling. Its a normal social encounter... "hi love" "please don't call me love" "OK"...

How else are we supposed to know what someone likes to be called / referenced as? "

what? I just asked someone a question I never said anything about misgendering or causing outrage. I really don’t care. I just think people who deliberately call someone the wrong thing just to be obnoxious are idiots.

Tin town

"I’m really too old for this shit. Only had Men and women most of my life not changing now

Some get terrible headaches at the mere thought of being respectful. Others apparently lose their sanity over such things. Life is such a struggle at times. So why do some use preferred pronouns to identify themselves. Why are the 'older" pronouns not sufficient?"

Because life's such a struggle at times for them when they are called he or she.

"What does non binary mean?"

It means the snowflakes will never know the cluster fuck of programming in machine code because someone else does it for them and now they have time to get offended by literally everything.

Wallasey

Z80a or 6502

Tin town

"What does non binary mean?

It means the snowflakes will never know the cluster fuck of programming in machine code because someone else does it for them and now they have time to get offended by literally everything."

Unless its quantum computing...

CAMBERLEY

No.What others are there?

Like complex maths, real and imaginary numbers and the concept of n dimensions...it seems There are as many as you choose.

Think there’s about 30. Someone listed them once. Was too much for my little brain "

By *icolerobbieCouple  over a year ago

walsall

There’s only one Sam Smith…

By *phroditeWoman  over a year ago

(She/ her) in Sensualityland

It means the snowflakes will never know the cluster fuck of programming in machine code because someone else does it for them and now they have time to get offended by literally everything."

Hm - not sure sure about that - I am rather familiar with it...;-)

Northampton

Surely the snowflakes would be those who piss their pants and lose their minds because Oh, my, the world is so confusing these days!?

Northampton

"I wonder if a zebra crossing gets the huffy fit if someone calls it a pelican or toucan crossing?

The mind boggles."

The mind boggles that someone could compare a human being's identity and feelings with that of an inanimate bit of paint on the floor.

"I wonder if a zebra crossing gets the huffy fit if someone calls it a pelican or toucan crossing?

The mind boggles.

The mind boggles that someone could compare a human being's identity and feelings with that of an inanimate bit of paint on the floor."

You'd think a swinging site might be somewhere you'd find a bit more open mindedness amd tolerance towards gender identity wouldn't you?

Yet time and time again on these threads there are some incredibly crass and cruel comments directed at anyone that challenges gender norms.

Sam Smith will never see this thread but plenty of trans and non-binary people on fab will, I think some people need to maybe consider that

The mind boggles.

The mind boggles that someone could compare a human being's identity and feelings with that of an inanimate bit of paint on the floor.

You'd think a swinging site might be somewhere you'd find a bit more open mindedness amd tolerance towards gender identity wouldn't you?

Yet time and time again on these threads there are some incredibly crass and cruel comments directed at anyone that challenges gender norms.

Sam Smith will never see this thread but plenty of trans and non-binary people on fab will, I think some people need to maybe consider that"

Well said!

Chelmsford

"There’s only one Sam Smith…"

There is only one Essex Tom

Tin town

The mind boggles.

Sam Smith will never see this thread but plenty of trans and non-binary people on fab will, I think some people need to maybe consider that"

Very true. But I think it's also important to see it from all sides. Because you think something should be so. Does not invalidate others feelings or opinions.

Chelmsford

The mind boggles.

The mind boggles that someone could compare a human being's identity and feelings with that of an inanimate bit of paint on the floor."

Really? OMG

The mind boggles.

Sam Smith will never see this thread but plenty of trans and non-binary people on fab will, I think some people need to maybe consider that

Very true. But I think it's also important to see it from all sides. Because you think something should be so. Does not invalidate others feelings or opinions. "

I have yet to hear anything remotely convincing about why people can't or shouldn't respect pronouns though?

I mean the answer upthread of "for my sanity" didn't really explain much did it?

Again I'm all ears if you or anyone can explain what benefit deliberately ignoring pronouns adds to your life or what harm respecting them brings?

To me it boils down to respected and kindness but I've asked this multiple times on here and no one ever answers this question

The mind boggles.

Very true. But I think it's also important to see it from all sides. Because you think something should be so. Does not invalidate others feelings or opinions.

I have yet to hear anything remotely convincing about why people can't or shouldn't respect pronouns though?

I mean the answer upthread of "for my sanity" didn't really explain much did it?

Again I'm all ears if you or anyone can explain what benefit deliberately ignoring pronouns adds to your life or what harm respecting them brings?

To me it boils down to respected and kindness but I've asked this multiple times on here and no one ever answers this question"

Again agree!

[Removed by poster at 24/02/23 20:33:32]

Tin town

The mind boggles.

To me it boils down to respected and kindness but I've asked this multiple times on here and no one ever answers this question"

Nobody needs to convince you of anything.

Chelmsford

The mind boggles.

Maybe stop asking the question

Tin town

The mind boggles.

It's been answered but you're choosing not to see it. Just as you demand respect of your opinions then you should give respect to others opinions.

Paradise, Herts

The mind boggles.

I do agree to a certain extent. I wouldn’t intentionally be disrespectful. Doesn’t mean I agree with it all though.

The mind boggles.

Yeah but red means don't cross and green means do cross, which button is an ok im not sure I might think about it and get offended if I can't choose or just think every car in the world needs to stop for me as im special

Chelmsford

Forget pronouns..

Just call me Tom

The mind boggles.

To me it boils down to respected and kindness but I've asked this multiple times on here and no one ever answers this question

It's been answered but you're choosing not to see it. Just as you demand respect of your opinions then you should give respect to others opinions. "

I dint think I've ever demanded people respect my opinions

But it's interesting that people that are so opposed to using and respecting pronouns are so unwilling to explain why?

The mind boggles.

I do agree to a certain extent. I wouldn’t intentionally be disrespectful. Doesn’t mean I agree with it all though. "

I think your comments on this thread actually sum up how it should be. No big deal if an error is made but doing it deliberately is unnecessary.

The mind boggles.

I do agree to a certain extent. I wouldn’t intentionally be disrespectful. Doesn’t mean I agree with it all though. "

That is the essence for me - it does not matter what anybody thinks as long as they are not intentionally disrespectful, hurtful and seeking confrontation on somebody's personal leaning and choice. Well said!

Tin town

The mind boggles.

It's been answered but you're choosing not to see it. Just as you demand respect of your opinions then you should give respect to others opinions.

I dint think I've ever demanded people respect my opinions

But it's interesting that people that are so opposed to using and respecting pronouns are so unwilling to explain why?

"

You haven't seen any of the explanations then?

Lincolnshire

"We are going to get to a stage where we won’t know what to call different people soon. He/she/they/those.

Adding they to he and she, increasing the option from 2 to 3, surelynits not that complicated?"

So when you meet someone currently you instantly think he or she…you won’t know their pronoun or how they like to be referred to until they’ve stated or in terms of famous people like Sam Smith, then you are apparently meant to automatically know to refer to them to another pronoun.

So yes, adding even one more makes it massively complicated

K

"Forget pronouns..

Just call me Tom "

Hi Tim.

A.

I was just thinking (I know, I need to be careful there ...

When I tell somebody my name and they ask Mrs or Miss or Ms ... it is not the same thing as the gender and pronoun debate but I think at respect level there are similarities. I would expect them to accept and respect my choice.

Adding they to he and she, increasing the option from 2 to 3, surelynits not that complicated?

So when you meet someone currently you instantly think he or she…you won’t know their pronoun or how they like to be referred to until they’ve stated or in terms of famous people like Sam Smith, then you are apparently meant to automatically know to refer to them to another pronoun.

K"

If they are male presenting He, female presenting She, if you aren't sure 'they'.

If they correct you then apologise and use their preferred ones going forward.

I genuinely dont see where the complication is?

Paradise, Herts

K

If they are male presenting He, female presenting She, if you aren't sure 'they'.

I genuinely dont see where the complication is?"

There isn’t if you know someone wants to be referred to in a different way but say I was somewhere like in a shop I’d automatically say go and ask that lady over there. I wouldn’t say go and ask that person over there. It’s not natural to me.

Lincolnshire

K

Ok, no problem we see things differently

I’ve come on to find sexy people to have sex with not argue

K

Chelmsford

K

Agreed.. you just don't ..

Tin town

K

So Sam Smith is male presenting and Bob Geldof called him a he... Don't see where the complication is.