FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Hip Replacement Coming Up

Hip Replacement Coming Up

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *lattyukbi OP   Man  over a year ago

Rugby

Hi guys,

In two weeks time I’m going under the knife for a hip replacement.

Anyone else out there in Fabland been through it?

Looking for some intel on recovery.

Thanks

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

If you follow the green arrow next to my username you'll find some information. I was asking more specifically about when someone is discharged from hospital but think you'll find some useful info in the thread.

Wishing you all the best when it's done and a speedy recovery x

By *opman121Man  over a year ago

stoke on trent

Must hip replacement s are caused by running and jogging ? Is this true

By *ormalfornorfolkMan  over a year ago

Norwich

"Must hip replacement s are caused by running and jogging ? Is this true "

No, not necessarily. Some injuries/overuse can predispose you to osteoarthritis in later life (assuming that’s your diagnosis) but, generally, exercise is protective and can relieve symptoms. Some evidence that high impact exercise can be a risk for some.

Rugby

In my case it’s wear and tear from my military service in the 80s, when the kit was made by the lowest bidder, they’d gone made for speed marches after the Falklands and the PTIs (Physical Training Instructors) were there to BEAST you.

Two seasons skiing competitively in all four disciplines didn’t help!

Rugby

"If you follow the green arrow next to my username you'll find some information. I was asking more specifically about when someone is discharged from hospital but think you'll find some useful info in the thread.

Wishing you all the best when it's done and a speedy recovery x"

Thanks, I’ll have a look.

By *UGGYBEAR2015Man  over a year ago

BRIDPORT

Yeah, running, jogging, cycling, all that exercise stuff, it’s no good for your health I’d stay well clear.

By *ormalfornorfolkMan  over a year ago

Norwich

"Hi guys,

Thanks"

Do you know what type you’re having? If cemented, you’ll be up and about in a couple of days. For uncemented it will be a little longer, but they’ll have you doing physio as soon as they can. Staples out in a couple of weeks. You should be pain free almost immediately.

By *oastal1968Man  over a year ago

London

I had it done 4 years ago. I did a 10km within a year of the op. Mine was brought on by military service and playing rugby.

Rugby

"Hi guys,

Thanks

Do you know what type you’re having? If cemented, you’ll be up and about in a couple of days. For uncemented it will be a little longer, but they’ll have you doing physio as soon as they can. Staples out in a couple of weeks. You should be pain free almost immediately."

Cement has been mentioned in passing so I guess it’s that kind.

The interesting, no terrifying, no exciting, no horrifying thing is… I’ll be awake… . Which came as a bit of a surprise! Epidural nerve block and a good book/box set! Though there is a sedation option… either before or during (if my man up and grow a pair plan crashes and burns! )

By *etWetWet453Couple  over a year ago

CAMBERLEY

Felt like a new man after mine (last April) - but couldn`t find one.

Was up walking the same day. Home the next. Only problem I had for a while was getting up out of bed. Only a 3 inch scar. Don`t know whether it is the norm now, but my surgeon didn`t cut any muscles,just pulled them out of the way, so healing time is a lot quicker. Supposed to use crutches for two weeks - although I had them attached to my arms, just in case, I didn`t need or use them. Wound healed really quickly. Rub Bio oil on the scar when it is healed for about three months. Like you, pretty sure the damage was started by all the route marches on tarmac when in the army. Hip`s ok now, but my knees are fucked. Surgeon says hang on for as long as possible before having them done. So I will.

I had the epidural, and you aren`t aware of anything. I was out of it. I had dissolvable stitches not staples.

Rugby

"I had it done 4 years ago. I did a 10km within a year of the op. Mine was brought on by military service and playing rugby."

Whilst I’m beyond running… I had been doing a 30k walk with the dog almost every Friday till the pain and instability made it impossible. Hoping to get back to that but no idea of the timescale that’s sensible, especially as the other one will be done in due course.

Rugby

"Felt like a new man after mine (last April) - but couldn`t find one.

Was up walking the same day. Home the next. Only problem I had for a while was getting up out of bed. Only a 3 inch scar. Don`t know whether it is the norm now, but my surgeon didn`t cut any muscles,just pulled them out of the way, so healing time is a lot quicker. Supposed to use crutches for two weeks - although I had them attached to my arms, just in case, I didn`t need or use them. Wound healed really quickly. Rub Bio oil on the scar when it is healed for about three months. Like you, pretty sure the damage was started by all the route marches on tarmac when in the army. Hip`s ok now, but my knees are fucked. Surgeon says hang on for as long as possible before having them done. So I will.

I had the epidural, and you aren`t aware of anything. I was out of it. I had dissolvable stitches not staples. "

Perfect, thanks! That’s exactly what I was looking for!

Like you my knees are also in shit state but I’ve heard knee ops aren’t nearly as successful. So ‘wait out’ on that one. Just hoping the new hips will help the knees somewhat.

By *oastal1968Man  over a year ago

London

"I had it done 4 years ago. I did a 10km within a year of the op. Mine was brought on by military service and playing rugby.

Whilst I’m beyond running… I had been doing a 30k walk with the dog almost every Friday till the pain and instability made it impossible. Hoping to get back to that but no idea of the timescale that’s sensible, especially as the other one will be done in due course."

Definitely build it up slowly mate. I started with gentle walks on a treadmill, built up surrounding muscle on the cross trainer, soon bike and rower eventually. All low impact stuff. Good luck pal.

CAMBERLEY

I should add, that I had my operation done in a private hospital, but paid for by NHS (that`s what the NHS are doing a lot these days to catch up on the backlog). If you are able bodied enough, it seems to be the norm to get to up and mobile ASAP. Being private, I don`t believe I was `got rid` of to free up beds - there were loads of empty ones.

Rugby

"I had it done 4 years ago. I did a 10km within a year of the op. Mine was brought on by military service and playing rugby.

Whilst I’m beyond running… I had been doing a 30k walk with the dog almost every Friday till the pain and instability made it impossible. Hoping to get back to that but no idea of the timescale that’s sensible, especially as the other one will be done in due course.

Definitely build it up slowly mate. I started with gentle walks on a treadmill, built up surrounding muscle on the cross trainer, soon bike and rower eventually. All low impact stuff. Good luck pal. "

Thanks matey…

By *arkyp_321Man  over a year ago

East Kilbride

"Hi guys,

Thanks

Do you know what type you’re having? If cemented, you’ll be up and about in a couple of days. For uncemented it will be a little longer, but they’ll have you doing physio as soon as they can. Staples out in a couple of weeks. You should be pain free almost immediately.

The interesting, no terrifying, no exciting, no horrifying thing is… I’ll be awake… . Which came as a bit of a surprise! Epidural nerve block and a good book/box set! Though there is a sedation option… either before or during (if my man up and grow a pair plan crashes and burns! )"

Had two as a result of two separate accidents ! Recovery v quick (if not complicated by other fractures, as was the case with my second one) but you are braver than me….I refused to be awake during the op !!!!

Ps. Hip thrusting, gyrating and anything else along these lines fully up to scratch ??

By *ustamanMan  over a year ago

weymouth

"Hi guys,

Thanks"

My dad was in and out in 48hrs, would of been 24 but he threw up due to morphine. Do the exercises and follow the guidance and you'll be fine

By *ixieAndHerKingCouple  over a year ago

Debauchery

My mum had an hip replacement after not running a day in her life. Anecdotal but maybe an example of where it’s not likely that exercise is to blame *shrugs

Hades

Rugby

"I should add, that I had my operation done in a private hospital, but paid for by NHS (that`s what the NHS are doing a lot these days to catch up on the backlog). If you are able bodied enough, it seems to be the norm to get to up and mobile ASAP. Being private, I don`t believe I was `got rid` of to free up beds - there were loads of empty ones."

It’s going to be NHS, whilst I have health cover through work it’s the claim money kind.

I asked my GP for a consultancy with the Veterans Clinic in Oswestry. Lt Col. Myers runs it and he’s brilliant. I came armed with all sorts of examples and arguments to sell my case, but he had a quick look at the x-rays, had me walk across the office (about four paces) and declared ‘yep, both hips…’. There is also a nice veterans vibe in the dedicated cafe there (‘The RV’… guess ‘The NAAFI’ wasn’t available!).

By *erriman69Couple  over a year ago

highworth

Had mine done on August and have so many tips to share. The first few days it's helpful to have support. Thereafter its all good.

The hospital should give you all the things you need but a grabber to pick things off the floor is helpful.

Sleep with pillows under your legs for the first month.

Buy a flask and a shoulder bag so you can make hot drinks and transport them to whenever you're sitting... impossible when you're on 2 crutches!!

Get a chair that is quite high and has armrests so its easier to get up. Apparantley you can get them from charity shops. Got mine from Next.

Get handles for the shower - you can get them online from Coopers. They stick to the wall using suction.

Make sure you do the physio!!

Message me if you have any questions. Happy to help.

By *ixieAndHerKingCouple  over a year ago

Debauchery

"Hi guys,

Thanks"

Follow the physios exercises for recovery religiously. People who I know who skipped the physio are still suffering years later

Rugby

"Hi guys,

Thanks

The interesting, no terrifying, no exciting, no horrifying thing is… I’ll be awake… . Which came as a bit of a surprise! Epidural nerve block and a good book/box set! Though there is a sedation option… either before or during (if my man up and grow a pair plan crashes and burns! )

Had two as a result of two separate accidents ! Recovery v quick (if not complicated by other fractures, as was the case with my second one) but you are braver than me….I refused to be awake during the op !!!!

Ps. Hip thrusting, gyrating and anything else along these lines fully up to scratch ??

"

Hip thrusting etc is currently fine… or… fine enough… it’s getting into position (everyday or exotic) that’s the challenge! Even worse is the recovering from them!!

Rugby

"Had mine done on August and have so many tips to share. The first few days it's helpful to have support. Thereafter its all good.

The hospital should give you all the things you need but a grabber to pick things off the floor is helpful.

Sleep with pillows under your legs for the first month.

Buy a flask and a shoulder bag so you can make hot drinks and transport them to whenever you're sitting... impossible when you're on 2 crutches!!

Get a chair that is quite high and has armrests so its easier to get up. Apparantley you can get them from charity shops. Got mine from Next.

Get handles for the shower - you can get them online from Coopers. They stick to the wall using suction.

Make sure you do the physio!!

Message me if you have any questions. Happy to help. "

Perfect, thanks. Already got the grabber (with built in shoehorn!) and the sock putter onner thingy.

Flask and bag is a good shout as is a charity shop chair. Shower handles I’d thought about but not acted on.

Appreciate it.

How long till you were driving?

CAMBERLEY

"I should add, that I had my operation done in a private hospital, but paid for by NHS (that`s what the NHS are doing a lot these days to catch up on the backlog). If you are able bodied enough, it seems to be the norm to get to up and mobile ASAP. Being private, I don`t believe I was `got rid` of to free up beds - there were loads of empty ones.

It’s going to be NHS, whilst I have health cover through work it’s the claim money kind.

I asked my GP for a consultancy with the Veterans Clinic in Oswestry. Lt Col. Myers runs it and he’s brilliant. I came armed with all sorts of examples and arguments to sell my case, but he had a quick look at the x-rays, had me walk across the office (about four paces) and declared ‘yep, both hips…’. There is also a nice veterans vibe in the dedicated cafe there (‘The RV’… guess ‘The NAAFI’ wasn’t available!)."

Unlike knees, it is possible to have both hips done at the same time.

Living where I do (a Military area) there is often assistance given to the NHS by the military. My anethesist looked like a twelve year old - he was in fact a full Colonel. Fuck - made me feel even older than I actually am.

CAMBERLEY

[Removed by poster at 23/02/23 20:34:23]

CAMBERLEY

Six weeks before you are allowed to drive. Although you are probably capable of driving before then, there could be possible insurance ramifications if you were to have a prang.

Rugby

"Six weeks before you are allowed to drive. Although you are probably capable of driving before then, there could be possible insurance ramifications if you were to have a prang."

Perfect… thanks.

And I hear you about the age thing… go to a Corps association meeting in the Sgt’s mess at a local barracks and they are all schoolkids!

By *erriman69Couple  over a year ago

highworth

You have to inform your car insurance company and ask what their criteria are before you can drive.

I have a car with bucket seats and found the pressure on my scar was really uncomfortable for weeks afterwards. Even on short journeys.

Rugby

"You have to inform your car insurance company and ask what their criteria are before you can drive.

I have a car with bucket seats and found the pressure on my scar was really uncomfortable for weeks afterwards. Even on short journeys. "

Oh... that's a really good call actually! I have a 27 year old Land Rover Discovery (3.9 V8 for the petrol heads!), so getting in and out will be easy and the big leather lounge chair should be comfy enough. Also automatic so left leg (the one being done) won't be used.

Assuming I get it through it's MOT again tomorrow!

By *redwilma666Couple  over a year ago

Kilbirnie

"In my case it’s wear and tear from my military service in the 80s, when the kit was made by the lowest bidder, they’d gone made for speed marches after the Falklands and the PTIs (Physical Training Instructors) were there to BEAST you.

Two seasons skiing competitively in all four disciplines didn’t help!"

Totally agree, got mine a year after the Falklands, parachuting accident

» Add a new message to this topic