FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Nurses union will pause strike action.

Nurses union will pause strike action.

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *hagTonight OP   Man  over a year ago

From the land of haribos.

It comes as it enters intensive talks with the government, the royal college of nursing (rcn) said it will pause strike action while it enters “intensive talks” on pay, terms and conditions and “productivity enhancing reforms” with the government.

What do you think about it and will there be talks about other things too? I think that it is good step in the right direction.

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *uby StarCouple  over a year ago

Durham

Strikes should be stopped. People are dying because of them. Strikes are definitely not the right way to go about things.

Could you imagine if every single person in the country who weren't happy with the pay and conditions in their employment were to go on strike. The country would grind to a halt.

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

"Strikes should be stopped. People are dying because of them. Strikes are definitely not the right way to go about things.

Could you imagine if every single person in the country who weren't happy with the pay and conditions in their employment were to go on strike. The country would grind to a halt."

That's why Nurses are striking though, because people are dying. Underfunded, overstretched and overworked....

Don't blame the Nurses, blame the shtty government that put them in that position in the first place.

Good luck to them I say

By *rHotNottsMan  over a year ago

Dubai & Nottingham

"Strikes should be stopped. People are dying because of them. Strikes are definitely not the right way to go about things.

Could you imagine if every single person in the country who weren't happy with the pay and conditions in their employment were to go on strike. The country would grind to a halt."

Totally agree. If you work for sports direct on min wage and are mistreated fine strike and I’ll support you 100% but these nurses / teachers have good careers, well paid , job security , and great pensions all paid for by our taxes , they should do what we pay them to or leave

By *heGateKeeperMan  over a year ago

Stratford

I think a deal can be struck and there are various sections of the private sector who have already given their staff considerable rises.

I do get that the NHS is a little different given the vast number of staff that they employ but hopefully common sense prevails.

The next conversation will be about the last financial year because the government won’t reconcile the hit everyone just took when inflation and CoL were through the roof and will probably just settle for 8/9%

By *ogo1189Man  over a year ago

Rossendale

I agree. We are well overdue a general strike.

If there weren’t so many people unhappy with their pay and conditions, this country wouldn’t have anything to worry about but you’re right. There are so many that this country would grind to a halt

I don’t get why the government wont just properly find the NHS and pay their staff properly. This is about safety. If staff are overworked, they’re exhausted and lives are put at risk. Like you said, people are dying because the government have been refusing talks for so long and it needs to be wrapped up now. The people striking worked night and day to protect us during covid, unlike the government who were too busy with Christmas parties

Hopefully this isn’t rishi’s usual smoke and mirrors approach of “let’s promise something now while people care, let news move on and break our promise later”

Well done to anyone involved in or supporting the strikes. Know you have the countries support and will do still if you decide to walk away from these negotiations

By *heGateKeeperMan  over a year ago

Stratford

With ‘great pay’ (which isn’t that great btw) comes great responsibility.

It’s a little different getting flustered on the shop floor and getting someone’s trainer order wrong than being overstretched and having to choose between 3 sick patients and one dying as a result of not getting the care they need

Rossendale

"With ‘great pay’ (which isn’t that great btw) comes great responsibility.

It’s a little different getting flustered on the shop floor and getting someone’s trainer order wrong than being overstretched and having to choose between 3 sick patients and one dying as a result of not getting the care they need "

Well said. I support any trade that wants to strike but this is a great point. There aren’t many shops which require their staff to work double shifts

I.e a day shift followed by a night shift

Yet hospital staff do this regularly

Dubai & Nottingham

[Removed by poster at 22/02/23 08:35:57]

By *ools and the brainCouple  over a year ago

couple, us we him her.

Could you imagine if every single person in the country who weren't happy with the pay and conditions in their employment were to go on strike. The country would grind to a halt.

That's why Nurses are striking though, because people are dying. Underfunded, overstretched and overworked....

Don't blame the Nurses, blame the shtty government that put them in that position in the first place.

Good luck to them I say "

Well said

Dubai & Nottingham

It’s a little different getting flustered on the shop floor and getting someone’s trainer order wrong than being overstretched and having to choose between 3 sick patients and one dying as a result of not getting the care they need

Well said. I support any trade that wants to strike but this is a great point. There aren’t many shops which require their staff to work double shifts

Yet hospital staff do this regularly "

They either have the skills & right attitude or they don’t.

Not all nurses / carers are struggling and not all want to strike. Many just get on with what they love knowing whatever government you lot put in get to decide the policy, pay, conditions etc. it’s called being a public servant, it’s quite different from being a politician.

couple, us we him her.

Not all nurses / carers are struggling and not all want to strike. Many just get on with what they love knowing whatever government you lot put in get to decide the policy, pay, conditions etc. it’s called being a public servant, it’s quite different from being a politician."

What do you mean "you lot"? Do you not vote

Rossendale

Not all nurses / carers are struggling and not all want to strike. Many just get on with what they love knowing whatever government you lot put in get to decide the policy, pay, conditions etc. it’s called being a public servant, it’s quite different from being a politician."

The government, which I didn’t vote for, made it so that unions now have to ballot before they are recognized and again before they strike.

The fact that they won that ballot shows that either

- even those “with the right attitudes” are fed up and want change

- or certain people have the wrong idea of what counts as “the right attitude” and things need to change

Having a submissive attitude doesn’t make a person any less exhausted or less likely to make mistakes while exhausted anyway

Multi millionaire rishi should try a proper day’s graft. I don’t think he could make it to lunch

Sneaky move from the government.

Set a meeting

Cancels the big strike.

Leak an Offer of 3.5

Meet at 5%

Staff refuse but it takes time to arrange a fresh strike.

Then its time for the 2023/24 pay review.

Strikes end as 6.percent offered

Rossendale

"Sneaky move from the government.

Set a meeting

Cancels the big strike.

Leak an Offer of 3.5

Meet at 5%

Staff refuse but it takes time to arrange a fresh strike.

Then its time for the 2023/24 pay review.

Strikes end as 6.percent offered "

This, plus the £80k they’re offering nurses (more than double their existing) if they’re willing to leave the strikes as individuals so it looks like numbers are dropping for support

I imagine they’re hoping that they can pay a minority this high salary to make it look like the the strike has failed and make the rest give up

couple, us we him her.

I do worry.

Striking didn't help the miner's,once the government decides a course of action it's unlikely to change it's mind.

Not sure what the end game is for this current government is tbh?

They seemingly don't have the needs of the masses in mind.

Very much a bunch of elitists.

By *parrow77Man  over a year ago

cheshire

Not all nurses want to strike??? When balloted 18k said yes only 100 said no so nurses do want action as patient safety is at risk and lives.

When covid hit the govt said they would give them fair wage and support instead they got 2-4% spread over 3 yrs while govt got 15-18% yearly.

Nurses and drs pull double shifts I know ppl in nursing and office work and never have I known ppl work in offices be expected work double or nights yes it’s a career and great job but recent yrs it’s stretched esp as figures show less ppl going into due to uni fees etc.

Fire service have been offered 12% now and Scotland and wales nurses 12-14% so why England nurses can’t is shock.

I know strikes are never good and cause issues but only way govt will listen least nurses stopped the strike unlike teachers who still going ahead even though govt meeting for deals.

Good for those not struggling and good for them for not striking but many others are despite working however many hours during the week.....When Dr's, Nurses and Police Officers are using foodbanks to get by then surely that tells you that the Tory Government has royally fucked up somewhere.

We rely on these people to look after us, to protect us. How the fuck can they do that if they aren't looked after.

It’s a little different getting flustered on the shop floor and getting someone’s trainer order wrong than being overstretched and having to choose between 3 sick patients and one dying as a result of not getting the care they need "

This

There's nothing more to be said about this situation.

Not all nurses / carers are struggling and not all want to strike. Many just get on with what they love knowing whatever government you lot put in get to decide the policy, pay, conditions etc. it’s called being a public servant, it’s quite different from being a politician.

The government, which I didn’t vote for, made it so that unions now have to ballot before they are recognized and again before they strike.

The fact that they won that ballot shows that either

- even those “with the right attitudes” are fed up and want change

- or certain people have the wrong idea of what counts as “the right attitude” and things need to change

Having a submissive attitude doesn’t make a person any less exhausted or less likely to make mistakes while exhausted anyway

Multi millionaire rishi should try a proper day’s graft. I don’t think he could make it to lunch "

Rishi is too busy with his head in the sand picking faults with Roald Dahl's literature, much more his thing I think than playing in the big boy park

By *illingdon_ladMan  over a year ago

Bicester

Totally agree. If you work for sports direct on min wage and are mistreated fine strike and I’ll support you 100% but these nurses / teachers have good careers, well paid , job security , and great pensions all paid for by our taxes , they should do what we pay them to or leave "

I love a couple of answers on this reply

1) is £35k+ a good wage when your working 60+ hours a week?

2) imagine if every nurse who voted yes to strikes left because they didn't like it so jacked it in? Yep no health service.

Rossendale

Totally agree. If you work for sports direct on min wage and are mistreated fine strike and I’ll support you 100% but these nurses / teachers have good careers, well paid , job security , and great pensions all paid for by our taxes , they should do what we pay them to or leave

2) imagine if every nurse who voted yes to strikes left because they didn't like it so jacked it in? Yep no health service. "

Excellent points. Particularly the second. The government needs to remember that they owe these workers and rely on them for the NHS

Personally I think these strikes need to go further and include carers. Carers are on even less and with worse conditions

By *inky_couple2020Couple  over a year ago

North West

2) imagine if every nurse who voted yes to strikes left because they didn't like it so jacked it in? Yep no health service. "

£35k is the average for nurses, pulled up by the tiny number of consultant nurses at the very top. Most are Band 5, earning between £27,055 and £32,934 as an absolute max.

By *1bttmMan  over a year ago

Shoreditch east London

Quite a generalisation to say not all want to strike....source of yr information to clarify this would be great? Or better still yr knowledge or experience in this area/NHS? Unless yr actually a front line worker or have experience here yr general comments aren't really validated tbh.

By *2000ManMan  over a year ago

Worthing

Maybe agree a contract adjustment (pay/conditions) now and an increase in a year or so depending on countries finances.

Dubai & Nottingham

What do you mean "you lot"? Do you not vote "

Nope. I voted once at 18 and haven’t since , this country is what it is, I can’t see any government able to change the mindset of Little Britains people

By *sBlueWoman  over a year ago

Up North

By *entlemanrogueMan  over a year ago

Motherwell

Which is probably what we should do.

why do mps get ridiculous pay rises, why are companies allowed to bleed us dry and make £B's in profit off our work? all while ramping up prices and pushing more people into poverty.

By *ugby 123Couple  over a year ago
Forum Mod

O o O oo

If I had a clapping emoji I would give you it

By *inky_couple2020Couple  over a year ago

North West

If I had a clapping emoji I would give you it"

Can you not ask Admin for one?! Plus a FacePalm™ please

Forum Mod

O o O oo

NHS wages have had a cut in real terms over the last few years. You can't keep up with price rises when yours is going backwards.

They were the ones who went head first into Covid when they didn't know what they were dealing with, knowing they could get it themselves, some leaving their families for weeks on end so they couldn't pass it on if they caught it. Lots did catch it and lots died. Some sat with dying people every day holding their hands because their family couldn't. I couldn't have done that job. We clapped them then because we were grateful for what they were doing. Now we are saying sod off, you can't have a rise that will make up for the fact you have not had a proper one for years.

Of course it isn't just about covid but it is still a job most of us couldn't do. Imagine being so tired on a shift because you have not had a break all day ...this is the reality of some NHS staffs day , but they get a pension so that's OK (which they pay a big chunk of their wages into btw )

It is OK saying well go get a different job if you don't like the wages, but if everyone left there would be an even bigger shortage of nurses.

Sadly I think the Gov is only going into talks now to stop the more disruptive strikes that were planned

The govt can't afford inflation pay rises.

The economy is not doing well, Covid cost too much, there's not as much cash as expected.

Forum Mod

O o O oo

"

Personally I think these strikes need to go further and include carers. Carers are on even less and with worse conditions "

I think care homes are business's now so although not paid by the NHS

Forum Mod

O o O oo

"The govt can't afford inflation pay rises.

The economy is not doing well, Covid cost too much, there's not as much cash as expected.

"

https://www.ft.com/content/cfe31b5c-a3fb-43b1-8b61-87071855341b

It seems they have a few more bob now.

Does that Covid costs include the PPE contracts that were given out even if a lot didn't deliver good enough products? Or the billions that was "lost" by then then chancellor

I would happily pay more tax if needed as I wouldn't want someone to have to sell their 26 million pound yacht that they got as a cut of a PPE contract

Does that Covid costs include the PPE contracts that were given out even if a lot didn't deliver good enough products? Or the billions that was "lost" by then then chancellor

I would happily pay more tax if needed as I wouldn't want someone to have to sell their 26 million pound yacht that they got as a cut of a PPE contract"

It'll be interesting to see what happens to the economy come April.

With the business energy help ending in April a lot of businesses say they will go bust (leisure centres, swimming pools etc) less tax for the govt.

Rossendale

I would happily pay more tax if needed as I wouldn't want someone to have to sell their 26 million pound yacht that they got as a cut of a PPE contract"

Let’s not forget that much of the cost was from furlough fraud because god forbid Sunak introduce the well researched universal basic income scheme instead

Much better that he introduce a half baked idea he pulled out of his ass which was basically UBI without the safeguards

Second jobs while on furlough, anyone? Perhaps a ghost employee to claim for?

Bottom line is Sunak had an easy ride with Covid. Anything went wrong and he got to blame the pandemic

Now that he’s actually in charge and doesn’t have that excuse he’s showing me that he isn’t and never was capable. He’s taking us blindly into a recession from what I can see

The money is there if they want to spend it. The Wall Street crash showed that governments need to spend to recover from recessions. Look into why Hoover dam was built. Austerity makes things worse.

Sunak’s certainly managed to bump his own income over the last couple of years. Odd that he can’t quite manage for the rest of us

By *ouple in LancashireCouple  over a year ago

in Lancashire

The economy is not doing well, Covid cost too much, there's not as much cash as expected."

It would have cost a fair bit less if they had not ignored the advice to be much better prepared and resourced post 2016 and hadn't been caught short with PPE..

All the issues they got wrong, were full and squarely down to themselves and their policies since 2010..

Cutting the very essential services that were needed prior to the pandemic..

Add in the slapdash way they threw money at all and sundry which was massively exploited by criminals and there friends shafting the public purse with substandard PPE, writing off billions ..

Were still paying upwards of £700k per week to store the stuff..

They can afford to pay the essential workers a wage that keeps up with inflation, especially as their own has more than some that this last 12 years..

By *issmorganWoman  over a year ago

Calderdale innit

Good luck to them I say "

Yep spot on

By *uliette500Woman  over a year ago

Hull

Totally agree. If you work for sports direct on min wage and are mistreated fine strike and I’ll support you 100% but these nurses / teachers have good careers, well paid , job security , and great pensions all paid for by our taxes , they should do what we pay them to or leave "

Nurses are not well paid and in effect comparing pay rises to inflation over the last 5-10 years nurses have actually had a pay cut.

The cost of living has gone up massively yet nurses have had 1% pay rises. The number of nurses is dropping year on year and the workload increases.

I am currently doing my nurse training and a ward I was on recently on a day shift had 2 qualified nurses 1 student and 3 health care assistants for 30 patients. This was a ward full of dementia patients all needing a high level of care.

Nurses have been trying to get their voices heard for years now and the government won't listen.

Striking for nurses has become a last resort to try and be heard as all other channels have failed to produce results.

By *usie pTV/TS  over a year ago

taunton

What are nurses actually paid, I saw an advertisement for a nurse locally in the NHS and it said £25.00 £28.00 per hour that seems very good to me.

"What are nurses actually paid, I saw an advertisement for a nurse locally in the NHS and it said £25.00 £28.00 per hour that seems very good to me."

not a chance! Nurses who are employed by the NHS that are clinical do not get paid that much at all. Nursing Managers who aren't in the clinical areas may well get that kinda a pay but it won't be anyone on the front line providing care.

By *uliette500Woman  over a year ago

Hull

"What are nurses actually paid, I saw an advertisement for a nurse locally in the NHS and it said £25.00 £28.00 per hour that seems very good to me."

Band 5 nursing roles apply to newly qualified Nurses. The current starting salary for a Band 5 Nurse is £27,055. With 2-4 years' experience, a Band 5 Nurse will earn £29,180, and the very top of this banding pays £32,934.

These figures are from December last year.

By *rispyDuckMan  over a year ago

Chinese Takeaway near you

Nurses are some of the most underpaid & over worked people! They deserve this and more!

By *r Costa xxMan  over a year ago

stirling

I don’t have a problem with nurses, but reality is cost of living has gone up for everyone, we can’t all have 10% pay rises, if we do everything goes up by at least the same margin to fund it, striking is everyone’s choice, but for me it’s holding to random, train workers are good example, decided to strike on London marathon weekend for greatest impact, how many runners didn’t turn up because they could t get there, yip thousand’s, and who suffered? Charities, giving to those in most need

Haha. How much unpaid overtime do you do per chance? Overtime you have no choice but to complete because lessons would grind to a halt if lesson plans weren't completed?

How many breaks do you miss, and are expected to work through because your short staffed and children and sick people need watching?

I have worked in teaching (left for this exact reason.) And the amount of people leaving, suffering from burnout is horrible. My dad earns more working in a warehouse than I did teaching.

Unless you know the situation don't comment like you do.

Haha. How much unpaid overtime do you do per chance? Overtime you have no choice but to complete because lessons would grind to a halt if lesson plans weren't completed?

How many breaks do you miss, and are expected to work through because your short staffed and children and sick people need watching?

I have worked in teaching (left for this exact reason.) And the amount of people leaving, suffering from burnout is horrible. My dad earns more working in a warehouse than I did teaching.

"

Well said....

Same for early years, lots of responsibility, low pay, long hours and working through holidays. Same level of teaching and learning on top of caring for the children's needs. Children and Parents seem to be more demanding than ever....

couple, us we him her.

That'll be Bank work, which is basically a zero hours contract as and when.

No holiday,no Sick,no rights you are there to be used.

Also probably nights as well.

Well said....

Same for early years, lots of responsibility, low pay, long hours and working through holidays. Same level of teaching and learning on top of caring for the children's needs. Children and Parents seem to be more demanding than ever....

"

I left my job during the pandemic' it seemed to me I was being taken for a ride people clapping me in my street as I was a key worker.

(when the conservatives first came to power one of the first things they did was to take my job off the key worker list)

Now these same people are saying I do not deserve a pay rise, I felt I was being taken for a ride before, but now I know I was right.

People like myself and others are leaving in mass from public sector jobs, and it is not the government whole fault in part it is the public bias, want to have a service but unwilling to pay what these workers worth really is.

The masses only get what they deserve.

By *tirling DarkCouple  over a year ago

Stirling

For those criticising nurses, I dare you to work on n.shift and then tell me they aren't worth the pay rise. The NHS has had 13 years of austerity and is at breaking point. When you have a 98% vote to support junior doctors strike action people should be very worried about the state of the NHS. Just think about that, 98% voted for strike action.

It is time nurses became more militant, fck the Florence Nightingale BS!

By *inx.x3Woman  over a year ago

Bath

By *.T.Man  over a year ago

Belfast

The public sector has been rinsed repeatedly. Below inflation pay rises during the austerity years, some pay freezes because of the pandemic etc etc.

Those who chose a vocation like the medical profession, teaching, Police, Armed Forces etc have been the whipping boy of successive governments. Whenever the purse strings have to be tightened, they get hit first.

Squaddies being brought home in body bags? Either increase their wage or give them an Armed Forces Day in lieu of a pay increase.

NHS working all the way through the pamdemic? Either increase their pay or clap on the doorstep.

The list goes on.

Yes,there were lots of key workers who kept the country running, but pay, conditions, recruiting and retention are all factors. If the government can't fix conditions and recruiting, retention will be dependent on wages.

It isn't even about the money at times. It is about being valued.

I support the nurses as there isn't a hope in hell I'd want to swap places with them.

This and yes, there are some sectors that arent allowed to strike, like the armed forces. I wonder what they do if they are not happy with their wages.

"

I believe that is what needs to happen, grind to a halt until a fair and considered approach is taken with employment.

A nurse cannot have a pay rise even though they are leaving in mass.

Bankers can have their bonus back so they can be retained.

That alone tells me what the governments priorities are, so strike as long as they can hold out.

If I am effected I will think if it was me on poor wages I want people to support me and my profession.

By *.T.Man  over a year ago

Belfast

Could you imagine if every single person in the country who weren't happy with the pay and conditions in their employment were to go on strike. The country would grind to a halt.This and yes, there are some sectors that arent allowed to strike, like the armed forces. I wonder what they do if they are not happy with their wages."

Police can't strike but can refuse overtime and get the "Blue Flu".

Armed Forces have to suck it up. If they don't like it, they sign off and resign.

By *ommando4Man  over a year ago

South Co. Dublin

Couldn't agree more

By *ebauchedDeviantsPt2Couple  over a year ago

Cumbria

They are leaving, in their tens of thousands, because their real terms pay has reduced by 20% and their conditions are bad to a point it is endangering patients.

They are leaving, in their tens of thousands, because their real terms pay has reduced by 20% and their conditions are bad to a point it is endangering patients."

I find it very worrying that the government narrative is being taken in by some and the truth from strikers are being ignored.

Nurses, railway workers, blue light staff have all said yes we want to be paid with respect, but its our patients who we see suffer everyday that they are really striking for.

I haven't been admitted to hospital yet!

but my time will come as I lie in a corridor fearing for myself I will remember those who didn't support this action, but Murphy's law states those people will be right next to me moaning of how they are being treated..

If we support those who are striking, then things will get better for us all.

By *ebauchedDeviantsPt2Couple  over a year ago

Cumbria

[Removed by poster at 23/02/23 16:18:11]

By *phroditeWoman  over a year ago

(She/ her) in Sensualityland

They are leaving, in their tens of thousands, because their real terms pay has reduced by 20% and their conditions are bad to a point it is endangering patients.

I find it very worrying that the government narrative is being taken in by some and the truth from strikers are being ignored.

Nurses, railway workers, blue light staff have all said yes we want to be paid with respect, but its our patients who we see suffer everyday that they are really striking for.

I haven't been admitted to hospital yet!

but my time will come as I lie in a corridor fearing for myself I will remember those who didn't support this action, but Murphy's law states those people will be right next to me moaning of how they are being treated..

If we support those who are striking, then things will get better for us all."

I fully support them for those reasons.

» Add a new message to this topic