FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Irrational buying

Irrational buying

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

Does anyone buy something that they neither need or want to use, but just want it beacuse you like the way it feels or appreciate it's construction or other reasons?

Just last week I bought a straight shackle padlock. One of those brass ones. Not because I had a use for it, but just because I was fascinated by the engineering and the solid weightiness of it in my hand.

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *eroLondonMan  over a year ago

Mayfair

I once bought DreamyBoo a bowl of fine cut chips. I was overwhelmed by her underappreciations.

By *inky_couple2020Couple  over a year ago

North West

Seeing the amount of stuff we donated to charity or skipped before moving house, yes, we bought stuff we didn't need

"I once bought DreamyBoo a bowl of fine cut chips. I was overwhelmed by her underappreciations."

Can you unpack that sentence?

DreamyBoo and fine cut chips?

"Seeing the amount of stuff we donated to charity or skipped before moving house, yes, we bought stuff we didn't need "

I don't know if you're like me but I'll sometimes buy something, usually off eBay, that has no purpose other than looking interesting.

The last thing I bought was something called a thumbstone. A smooth, oval piece of fluorite.

I just carried it around with me and rubbed it in my hand.

By *inky_couple2020Couple  over a year ago

North West

"Seeing the amount of stuff we donated to charity or skipped before moving house, yes, we bought stuff we didn't need

I don't know if you're like me but I'll sometimes buy something, usually off eBay, that has no purpose other than looking interesting.

The last thing I bought was something called a thumbstone. A smooth, oval piece of fluorite.

I just carried it around with me and rubbed it in my hand."

I don't buy for no reason, but it's evident we'd accumulated loads that we didn't need to keep.

"Seeing the amount of stuff we donated to charity or skipped before moving house, yes, we bought stuff we didn't need

I just carried it around with me and rubbed it in my hand.

I don't buy for no reason, but it's evident we'd accumulated loads that we didn't need to keep."

Imagine if you kept everything you ever bought over your entire lifetime.

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

"Does anyone buy something that they neither need or want to use, but just want it beacuse you like the way it feels or appreciate it's construction or other reasons?

Just last week I bought a straight shackle padlock. One of those brass ones. Not because I had a use for it, but just because I was fascinated by the engineering and the solid weightiness of it in my hand."

I do this, I buy things I don't need just because I like the look of it or how it feels x

By *icecouple561Couple  over a year ago
Forum Mod

East Sussex

Yes. I have a small brass ashtray with the head of the Sphinx as a kind of handle. Neither of us smoke but its pleasantly weighted and looks nice.

By *icecouple561Couple  over a year ago
Forum Mod

East Sussex

However I don't think it's irrational to want to own something that gives pleasure

I'm thinking now shall i be the old me or the me now??

I am a vinyl LP junkie and got so many vinyls now ... I don't even listen to most of them ... madness

"I am a vinyl LP junkie and got so many vinyls now ... I don't even listen to most of them ... madness "

I've just got rid of some vinyl, all 7 inch with exception of a 5 incher, and limited editions/picture discs.

i went through a very short spell of collecting but it eventually fizzled out.

By *nightsoftheCoffeeTableCouple  over a year ago

Leeds

Yes, if I'm in a retail therapy frame of mind I'll buy all sorts of shit I don't need usually that has no place to go or all for other people and nothing for myself.

Mrs

By *ryandseeMan  over a year ago

Yorkshire

Most people do from time to time. Some more excessively than others.

By *imply DeeWoman  over a year ago

Wherever

I used to, mostly for the kids, but now I’m more cautious as I need to watch every penny.

I bought a kimchi bottle... I don't like kimchi

» Add a new message to this topic