FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Footballers bonuses

Footballers bonuses

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

I'm not a football fan in any way, and the subject of Premier league players wages is for another thread.

However, I've long been of the opinion that ALL bonuses awarded to Premier league players should go to charity.

It's unbelievable that a player who is getting 20 million pounds a year should also be getting a 75 thousand pound attendance bonus.

And correct me if I'm wrong but I believe some clubs offer a bonus of 50 thousand pound goal scoring bonus.

Please tell me I'm not the only one who thinks this.

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

"I'm not a football fan in any way, and the subject of Premier league players wages is for another thread.

However, I've long been of the opinion that ALL bonuses awarded to Premier league players should go to charity.

It's unbelievable that a player who is getting 20 million pounds a year should also be getting a 75 thousand pound attendance bonus.

And correct me if I'm wrong but I believe some clubs offer a bonus of 50 thousand pound goal scoring bonus.

Please tell me I'm not the only one who thinks this."

Can't dictate what people do with money earned as part of their contract. No matter how ridiculous the figures are.

"I'm not a football fan in any way, and the subject of Premier league players wages is for another thread.

Can't dictate what people do with money earned as part of their contract. No matter how ridiculous the figures are.

"

Sadly, this is true. However, if more fans cared about this issue, then maybe they could force a change.

It still gets my blood boiling though, that a player who is on a multi-million pound per year contract has to be bribed to turn up for work.

Not only that, they may very well be getting further millions from sponsorship deals.

So that 75 grand is nothing more than pocket change to them.

Sadly, this is true. However, if more fans cared about this issue, then maybe they could force a change.

It still gets my blood boiling though, that a player who is on a multi-million pound per year contract has to be bribed to turn up for work.

Not only that, they may very well be getting further millions from sponsorship deals.

So that 75 grand is nothing more than pocket change to them."

I thought you weren't a fan?

Fortunately people have the choice to donate or not.

By *ifty grades of shadyCouple  over a year ago

Carisbrooke, Isle of Wight

It's not just footballers though is it? The whole "entertainment" industry is geared up to relieving Joe public of their hard earned cash to pay so called stars obscene amounts for their work.

The culture of all this is sadly fed by the gullible customer who create the demand and more often than not they can't afford to fund it.

By *ir SupremacyMan  over a year ago

Bolton

My Sky sports was cancelled over a year ago highlights for me .

Fortunately people have the choice to donate or not. "

Of course, it is a choice.

But I'm suggesting it shouldn't be a choice.

Meaning, that it should be a non-negotiable pat of the contract.

Player X get's his millions of pounds in wages, and ALL bonuses (mainly the goal scoring ones) go to charity.

It makes no difference to the clubs as they're still forking out the cash anyway.

The incentive to score is still there as what player doesn't want to be the one who's making thousands for charity?

And of course, the charities benefit too.

Plus, the fans wouldfeel good with the knowledge that some of the money they've paid for their tickes is going to good causes, not just the players bank accounts.

"It's not just footballers though is it? The whole "entertainment" industry is geared up to relieving Joe public of their hard earned cash to pay so called stars obscene amounts for their work.

The culture of all this is sadly fed by the gullible customer who create the demand and more often than not they can't afford to fund it.

"

I think footballers wages are slightly more transparent than TV/movie celebrities wages.

By *untington 999Man  over a year ago

Nottingham

Who cares what other people earn. Fair play to them. Do you give your bonus to charity?

The C.E.Os of most charities, are millionaires themselves. If they were that bothered about doing good, they'd donate some of their own wages. Footballers get what they deserve, with it being a short profession. Film stars however, can work until they're 80+ and still make a tidy sum from a movie.

By *amieLDN22Man  over a year ago

London

I really can't stand when people moan about what footballer earn. Stinks of Daily Mail nonsense to me. Who are we to dictate what another person earns or should do with their money? That's between the clubs and players. These are players who sacrificed a lot to reach the top of the tree and earn the big bucks. Good luck to them. I'm not jealous at all.

They bring in a lot of money for their bosses and hence their pay reflects that. A lot of them are actually under paid.

I mean...I dont see the same rags moaning about how much actors or musicians earn nor what they do with their bonuses. I always found this argument nonsensical. Leave these footballers alone.

By *alandNitaCouple  over a year ago

Scunthorpe

"It's not just footballers though is it? The whole "entertainment" industry is geared up to relieving Joe public of their hard earned cash to pay so called stars obscene amounts for their work.

"

Not the "whole" entertainment industry, just a tiny part of it. The majority in the entertainment industry are on relatively small pay and are the very origins of "The Gig Economy". They only get paid for the gigs they have and there is no sick pay, holiday pay or pensions included. There are many within the entertainment industry who need an alternative source of income to make ends meet.

Cal

By *alandNitaCouple  over a year ago

Scunthorpe

"

Also, for "stars" the money they are paid is not wages, but more of an incentive to do a job. People who make shows and films, want the "stars" who will attract the audience... and hence make them money. Paying out the "big bucks", more often than not, is an investment that guarantees a big return.

Cal

By *agneto.Man  over a year ago

Bham

I think arguing about where people spend their wages and where their wages should go is absolutely ridiculous.

These young men would often face a life of low paid, menial jobs, or outright poverty if from poorer countries, if it weren't for their talent so fair fucks to them.

They don't have a long career and they get very well paid for being at the top of thier sport.

By *oeBeansMan  over a year ago

Derby

I bet a lot of them do donate a small percentage of their wage to a charity of their choosing but don't broadcast it in public.

As far as what they earn, it's a case of revenue and demand. It's always going to be there and the money from that just trickles down to the players.

By *ellhungvweMan  over a year ago

Cheltenham

"Who cares what other people earn. Fair play to them. Do you give your bonus to charity?"

Exactly. I think anyone who feels other people should do something should lead by example.

By *rHotNottsMan  over a year ago

Dubai & Nottingham

What is their bonus as a percentage of their annual salary.

It my sector 25,50 even 100 & 200 and in rare cases 500 percent is fairly normal for top performance.

Bonus is simply a way to stop the salary bill from being ridiculous for accounting , but still pay it if people do their job and grow the business beyond expectation

By *instonandLadyAstorCouple  over a year ago

Not where we seem to be...

Am I the only one who thinks the OP earns too much for what he does for a living and should give more to charity?

Winston

"The C.E.Os of most charities, are millionaires themselves. If they were that bothered about doing good, they'd donate some of their own wages. Footballers get what they deserve, with it being a short profession. Film stars however, can work until they're 80+ and still make a tidy sum from a movie."

I've heard that arguement before, about players only having a short profession so have to earn as much as possible.

I dismiss it.

When your career ends at 30-something or whatever, get another job.

So that 75 grand is nothing more than pocket change to them."

How do you know they don't?

Have you seen the bank accounts of every single player?

Also, no, I don't think anyone has the right to dictate how anyone else spends their money.

Derby

"The C.E.Os of most charities, are millionaires themselves. If they were that bothered about doing good, they'd donate some of their own wages. Footballers get what they deserve, with it being a short profession. Film stars however, can work until they're 80+ and still make a tidy sum from a movie.

I've heard that arguement before, about players only having a short profession so have to earn as much as possible.

I dismiss it.

When your career ends at 30-something or whatever, get another job."

Would you if you had the option?

By *ackformore100Man  over a year ago

Tin town

Interesting concept. But. Why only footballers? What about others paid a lot? Bankers? Actors? Musicians? Lawyers? Corporate management? And so on.?

"What is their bonus as a percentage of their annual salary.

It my sector 25,50 even 100 & 200 and in rare cases 500 percent is fairly normal for top performance.

Bonus is simply a way to stop the salary bill from being ridiculous for accounting , but still pay it if people do their job and grow the business beyond expectation

"

So doing your job and helping to grow the business resultsin big bonuses?

Fine, I'll accept that.

But surly that implies that if someone does something to hurt said business, then the opposite of a bonus should apply?

Meaning, a fine.

I don't hear about any cases of footballers who score own goals or doing something on the pitch that negatively impacts the club, getting fined for it.

Short of doing a Cantona.

By *rHotNottsMan  over a year ago

Dubai & Nottingham

"The C.E.Os of most charities, are millionaires themselves. If they were that bothered about doing good, they'd donate some of their own wages. Footballers get what they deserve, with it being a short profession. Film stars however, can work until they're 80+ and still make a tidy sum from a movie."

CEO/COO are recruited by boards of trustees to do a specific job, they didn't start the charity and are usually distanced from things like reserves policy and vision/objectives.

No one needs to explain or justify what they earn and how much of it they give away not even CEO of global charities.

Also, no, I don't think anyone has the right to dictate how anyone else spends their money.

"

If footballers were giving substantial amounts to charity, trust me, if they themselves didn't shout about it, their agents certainly would.

"Am I the only one who thinks the OP earns too much for what he does for a living and should give more to charity?

Winston "

Firsty, I do give what I can, when I can. And so does my 84yo mother, who regularly gives to animal charities despite only recieving her state pension.

And secondly, if I was paid 7 figures or more every year, I'd like to think I'd give substantially more to charitable causes.

As for those who ask if I'd turn down that sort of money...of course I wouldn't.

This thread is about the unneccessary bonuses.

I don't think there should be many here who weren't outraged about MP's bonuses, so are most of you seemingly so accepting of footballers bonuses?

Derby

Interesting concept. But. Why only footballers? What about others paid a lot? Bankers? Actors? Musicians? Lawyers? Corporate management? And so on.? "

Because all they do is kick a ball around hurr durr durr

If footballers were giving substantial amounts to charity, trust me, if they themselves didn't shout about it, their agents certainly would."

I don't trust strangers, sorry.

By *ohn KanakaMan  over a year ago

Not all that North of North London

Cam you substantiate "the CEOs of most charities are millionaires" claim?

Or the assumption that those working on the charity sector don't actively support charities?

By *ananaman41Man  over a year ago

Dublin

Fortunately people have the choice to donate or not.

Of course, it is a choice.

But I'm suggesting it shouldn't be a choice.

Meaning, that it should be a non-negotiable pat of the contract.

Player X get's his millions of pounds in wages, and ALL bonuses (mainly the goal scoring ones) go to charity.

It makes no difference to the clubs as they're still forking out the cash anyway.

The incentive to score is still there as what player doesn't want to be the one who's making thousands for charity?

And of course, the charities benefit too.

Plus, the fans wouldfeel good with the knowledge that some of the money they've paid for their tickes is going to good causes, not just the players bank accounts."

Ok well then clubs will just stop paying bonuses then and players/agents will stop negotiating for them as they are no longer a financial incentive for them

Derby

"What is their bonus as a percentage of their annual salary.

So doing your job and helping to grow the business resultsin big bonuses?

Fine, I'll accept that.

But surly that implies that if someone does something to hurt said business, then the opposite of a bonus should apply?

Meaning, a fine.

I don't hear about any cases of footballers who score own goals or doing something on the pitch that negatively impacts the club, getting fined for it.

Short of doing a Cantona."

Clubs have their own internal way of fining players if they don't meet the standards of the club. This ranges from being late to team meetings/training to wearing the wrong attire and the bigger the club, the higher the fines.

Dublin

"Am I the only one who thinks the OP earns too much for what he does for a living and should give more to charity?

Winston

Firsty, I do give what I can, when I can. And so does my 84yo mother, who regularly gives to animal charities despite only recieving her state pension.

And secondly, if I was paid 7 figures or more every year, I'd like to think I'd give substantially more to charitable causes.

As for those who ask if I'd turn down that sort of money...of course I wouldn't.

I don't think there should be many here who weren't outraged about MP's bonuses, so are most of you seemingly so accepting of footballers bonuses?"

MPs are public servants. Footballers are not. Hence why we dont, nor should, care

The problem isn't just with footballers - there are people in other industries paid way more than footballers.

Look at the rich lists - Cristiano Ronaldo was paid around $115M last year. Kevin Hart was paid for his role in the Jumanji movies, but also negotiated to receive a percentage of the box office takings from them to - he raked in around $400M in 2022.

Footballers earn a lot for what they do, but by no means are they the only ones

By *astandFeistyCouple  over a year ago

Bournemouth

These threads do make me

Private business is private business. Why should we be able to tell people how to spend their earnings?

By *UGGYBEAR2015Man  over a year ago

BRIDPORT

"

If footballers were giving substantial amounts to charity, trust me, if they themselves didn't shout about it, their agents certainly would."

Are you aware of the substantial charity contributions that are made by footballers OP.

Is it something you have actually knowledge of ?

I know a chap who works for an organisation in the educational field.

Vast majority of the work is funded by Premier and ex Premier League footballers and sportsmen and women from other disciplines.

There are Funds and Charity’s set up by people wishing to pay something back to the communities they have earned a living in.

I knew nothing of these things until he told me what he does.

They don’t shout it from the rooftops, they just get on with it.

Not everyone is as vacuous as you think.

I think the level of pay in football is silly but good luck to anyone who can command that sort of pay day.

By *ohn KanakaMan  over a year ago

Not all that North of North London

Football is a mess with huge amounts of money involved. It's obscene. But it is also a huge global entertainment industry so it is what it is.

Do I think that salaries are huge, the sponsorship deals obscene and the ticket prices too much for normal people to afford? Yes.

Do I think that their are huge societal issues around footballers that probably need addressing? Also yes.

Do I think making them give bonuses to charity will change any of that? Not a chance

Winston

I don't think there should be many here who weren't outraged about MP's bonuses, so are most of you seemingly so accepting of footballers bonuses?"

Who are you/we to determine what an "unneccessary bonus" is.

Everything about threads like this have a whiff of envy about them.

Winston

By *ouple in LancashireCouple  over a year ago

in Lancashire

Winston

MPs bonuses?

Please elaborate..

Also it's simply your opinion as to whether it's 'unnecesary'..

Some do lots in the community, some don't but to be honest no one has the right to dictate what others choose to spend their income on..

Not in this country..

By *ou only live onceMan  over a year ago

London

I'm not sure you can force anyone to donate part of their wages (and bonuses will be agreed as part of their contract). In the same way you or I can't be told by our employer what to spend our salary on. But I think a voluntary scheme where anyone - footballer or otherwise - could sign up to give a %age of their salary to good causes is a good idea (but would need HMRC to manage it!)

Actually lots of footballers already do loads for charity, including donating bonuses (I know Ronaldo reportedly has done this, for example) but I don't think it gets that much coverage.

By *ny1localMan  over a year ago

READING

Re footballer wages, I've often thought wouldn't the matches be more entertaining if the players were paid by the result..eg full pay for a win,half pay for a draw, no pay for a loss.

Tin town

I have no facts to back this up at all..so someone will correct me I'm sure. And I'm certainly no football fan. But I suspect football players and clubs as a group probably do a lot more for their communities than most groups who have the wealth to do so.

By *icecouple561Couple  over a year ago
Forum Mod

East Sussex

A lot of footballers donate to charity without being required to.

"Re footballer wages, I've often thought wouldn't the matches be more entertaining if the players were paid by the result..eg full pay for a win,half pay for a draw, no pay for a loss. "

When results are determined by crap refereeing and VAR decisions those wouldn't be practical.

Winston

Tin town

"Re footballer wages, I've often thought wouldn't the matches be more entertaining if the players were paid by the result..eg full pay for a win,half pay for a draw, no pay for a loss.

When results are determined by crap refereeing and VAR decisions those wouldn't be practical.

Winston "

He said VAR

"Re footballer wages, I've often thought wouldn't the matches be more entertaining if the players were paid by the result..eg full pay for a win,half pay for a draw, no pay for a loss.

Winston

He said VAR"

Yeah I said it!!!

Winston

By *ny1localMan  over a year ago

READING

Winston "

maybe I'm having a senior moment here, but can't understand why that would make it impractical..making players play properly, instead of turning out just to pose for 90mins must be an improvement.

Winston maybe I'm having a senior moment here, but can't understand why that would make it impractical..making players play properly, instead of turning out just to pose for 90mins must be an improvement. "

Shit Refereeing/VAR decision denies the team a winning goal. No win payment.

Players being sent off for poor decisions.

Players out injured so the club cant field its best first 11.

Hardly the teams fault they didn't win.

Look at the shit VAR decisions last weekend that changed match results.

Winston

By *izzy RascallMan  over a year ago

Cardiff

How do you know this? Do you have a link you can post so I can read up about it.

Thank you

Winston

So when you hypothetically donate these large sums to charity will you be publicly making a show of it?

I expect your answer will be no, so why should you not believe that of a footballer?

By *ora the explorerWoman  over a year ago

Paradise, Herts

Who is anyone to tell people what to do with their money or question them?!

Rubbish

By *aitonelMan  over a year ago

Liverpool

"Who is anyone to tell people what to do with their money or question them?!

Rubbish "

While I don't agree with the amount of money they do make (that's the world we live in though), I agree with Nora, it is their money that they earned, some of them who will have come from nothing at all. They could waste it all on beer, hookrs, and blackjack - I won't approve of that but I'd never tell somebody what they can, can't or should spend their own money on.

By *otMe66Man  over a year ago

Terra Firma

Ryan is that you? I told you football was an expensive hobby

By *hismMan  over a year ago

Ballygonowhere

How do any of us know what footballers or other sports personalities do for charities?

They may contribute vast amounts,we don't need to know everything they do.

To say they must donate bonuses is one of the stupidest statements I have read.

By *ora the explorerWoman  over a year ago

Paradise, Herts

Rubbish

While I don't agree with the amount of money they do make (that's the world we live in though), I agree with Nora, it is their money that they earned, some of them who will have come from nothing at all. They could waste it all on beer, hookrs, and blackjack - I won't approve of that but I'd never tell somebody what they can, can't or should spend their own money on. "

Aw most people precede with “I’m sorry but” when they say they agree with Nora

Hate these threads that attack just football players earnings. Here are some facts.

1. There are 275 million football players in the world, there are 128,983 players that do it professionally. This means that 0.00047% of all players in the world are professionals.

2. Average salaries in England are

Premier League: £3.2m

The Championship: £164,000

League One: £41,000

So a very small amount of players earning the fortunes is skewing the perception of football players earnings. The footballers at the top, are the elite of the elite in their field.

If you want to change the worlds inequalities. The looking at football players earnings is a diversion.

If you accept capitalism, then you have to accept earnings in any industry as a outcome of market forces. So either vote for change or vote with your money. I cancelled my Sky sports subscription 12 years ago.

There a theory that the media gaslight football players salaries, because most players are from poor or working class backgrounds. That the snobs in the press can't stand people from this part of society doing better than them.

Also the footballer is a guy who kicks a ball around once or twice a week for his millions.

No one knows what sacrifices these players and families made to reach the top. Training while their mates are on nights out. Mohamed Salah, travelled 9 hours every day in a bus to train with his first team in Egypt.

Tin town

Rubbish

While I don't agree with the amount of money they do make (that's the world we live in though), I agree with Nora, it is their money that they earned, some of them who will have come from nothing at all. They could waste it all on beer, hookrs, and blackjack - I won't approve of that but I'd never tell somebody what they can, can't or should spend their own money on. "

As George best once infamously said. "I spent a lot of money on booze, birds, and fast cars. ...the rest I squandered"

Here's an example of some good some football players do with their money.

Sadio Mane wins Socrates Award for charity work.

Sadio Mane has received France Football's inaugural Socrates Award, in recognition of his charity work in his native Senegal.

Mane, 30, is accustomed to writing headlines on the pitch, but it's his continued efforts off it that are making the biggest difference. The Bayern Munich forward has built a public hospital and funded schools and families in his home village of Bambali in recent years, and also donated to the Senegalese National Committee to help fight the Covid-19 pandemic.

By *iscean_dreamMan  over a year ago

Port talbot

Entitled to your opinion OP but lots of players donate to charity already and I disagree they should be made to donate their bonuses.

It's part of their contract to get bonuses for scoring goals and clean sheets etc, it's called added incentive to perform well.

By *amierebelMan  over a year ago

nae danger.

You are the only 1

By *rhugesMan  over a year ago

Cardiff

If you're a fan, you're part of the problem. If noone brought sky or by sport it paid rediculas amounts of money to see a match, salaries would have to come down.

By *obajxMan  over a year ago

Cheshire

I'm a life long Manchester City supporter and I understand football's money is obscene , but when compared to top actors who receive 20/30/40m for starring in a film, is it?

And on the subject of my club and the recent financial allegations, I've just found out that our mananger from 2009- 2013 was earning £1.5m PA and received a £4m bonus when we won the Premier league in 2012

Cardiff

"If you're a fan, you're part of the problem. If noone brought sky or by sport it paid rediculas amounts of money to see a match, salaries would have to come down."

I don't reckon tv subscriptions are where their income comes from anymore. We wouldn't have so many foreign owners if that was the issue. Unless of course the audience in Asia, Middle East and America are the ones buying a subscription to watch on TV.

I don't think the British are subscribing in the numbers they used to.

By *oiluvfunMan  over a year ago

Portsmouth

"I'm a life long Manchester City supporter and I understand football's money is obscene , but when compared to top actors who receive 20/30/40m for starring in a film, is it?

And on the subject of my club and the recent financial allegations, I've just found out that our mananger from 2009- 2013 was earning £1.5m PA and received a £4m bonus when we won the Premier league in 2012"

If you’re going to use the term ‘actor’, then surely Mr Grealish falls in to this category (no pun intended)

By *amierebelMan  over a year ago

nae danger.

"If you're a fan, you're part of the problem. If noone brought sky or by sport it paid rediculas amounts of money to see a match, salaries would have to come down."

What if you're a movie or TV fan?

Football is no different to any other commercial enterprise. It’s value driven. Market dictates what they get paid. What they do with their bonuses is their own business, as it is with anybody else. It’s the obscene amounts that makes people uncomfortable not the principle. If I had the opportunity to get a bonus for turning up or just doing my job, I’d take it.

By *obajxMan  over a year ago

Cheshire

"I'm a life long Manchester City supporter and I understand football's money is obscene , but when compared to top actors who receive 20/30/40m for starring in a film, is it?

And on the subject of my club and the recent financial allegations, I've just found out that our mananger from 2009- 2013 was earning £1.5m PA and received a £4m bonus when we won the Premier league in 2012

If you’re going to use the term ‘actor’, then surely Mr Grealish falls in to this category (no pun intended) "

There are much worse!

I do sometimes wonder if half the Premier league players were extras in the opening scenes of Saving Private Ryan

Tin town

If you’re going to use the term ‘actor’, then surely Mr Grealish falls in to this category (no pun intended)

There are much worse!

I do sometimes wonder if half the Premier league players were extras in the opening scenes of Saving Private Ryan"

Luckily var sorts them out..

Love it when people climb on their high horses in these forums, like whatever they say is right and no one else is allowed any sort of opinion. The actual topic is pointless, nobody will be forced to give money to charity regardless of occupation. No need to get shirty over it.

"These threads do make me

Private business is private business. Why should we be able to tell people how to spend their earnings?"

Very true, it's a private business.

But a private business that rakes in masses of money from fans at the turnstile and club shops.

Like most jobs, the money that pays employees comes from the public in some form or another.

Work for Tesco? Then your wages come from the very people who buy their products.

My brother works for Airbus and his wages come from the airlines who buy their planes, who in turn get that money from the people who fly on their planes.

I work in a factory and ultimately my wages come from ordinary people like yourselves.

While I understand that my situation is the same as a footballer on a basic level (paid with money from the public), the difference is the scale of that pay.

The Ronaldo's of this world may indeed work for a private company, but he's paid by the very people who watch him play.

If these guys had any respect whatsoever, they would voluntarily have all their bonuses given to those who actually need it.

I certainly would.

"Love it when people climb on their high horses in these forums, like whatever they say is right and no one else is allowed any sort of opinion. The actual topic is pointless, nobody will be forced to give money to charity regardless of occupation. No need to get shirty over it. "

While I do think I'm correct in what I say, the only reason I respond to comments is to try and refute the counter arguements.

However, if I do come across as a bit shirty, I apologise.

It's an issue which does annoy me quite a lot, despite not being a footie fan.

By *asterful_ManMan  over a year ago

MM

People question why footballers with an identifiable talent earn money but don't question why people like Gemma Collins are a waste of oxygen.

By *den-Valley-coupleCouple  over a year ago

Cumbria

It's an Entertainment Business you don't see people moaning about Angelina Jolie or Brad Pitt's earnings like they do footballers.

Dublin

"Love it when people climb on their high horses in these forums, like whatever they say is right and no one else is allowed any sort of opinion. The actual topic is pointless, nobody will be forced to give money to charity regardless of occupation. No need to get shirty over it.

While I do think I'm correct in what I say, the only reason I respond to comments is to try and refute the counter arguements.

It's an issue which does annoy me quite a lot, despite not being a footie fan."

OP, as i said earlier, if you make it compulsory for them to give away their bonuses, then they'll just stop negotiating for them as no financial for them anymore and clubs will then stop paying them.

So how exactly do you propose to get around this then?

Private business is private business. Why should we be able to tell people how to spend their earnings?

But a private business that rakes in masses of money from fans at the turnstile and club shops.

Like most jobs, the money that pays employees comes from the public in some form or another.

Work for Tesco? Then your wages come from the very people who buy their products.

My brother works for Airbus and his wages come from the airlines who buy their planes, who in turn get that money from the people who fly on their planes.

I work in a factory and ultimately my wages come from ordinary people like yourselves.

While I understand that my situation is the same as a footballer on a basic level (paid with money from the public), the difference is the scale of that pay.

The Ronaldo's of this world may indeed work for a private company, but he's paid by the very people who watch him play.

If these guys had any respect whatsoever, they would voluntarily have all their bonuses given to those who actually need it.

I certainly would."

Again, you're assuming that footballers don't donate to charity.

Again, your assuming all footballers earn obscene wages.

Winston

By *ouple in LancashireCouple  over a year ago

in Lancashire

"Love it when people climb on their high horses in these forums, like whatever they say is right and no one else is allowed any sort of opinion. The actual topic is pointless, nobody will be forced to give money to charity regardless of occupation. No need to get shirty over it.

It's an issue which does annoy me quite a lot, despite not being a footie fan."

Wasted energies then?

Considering there's no way you can influence changes if indeed they are needed..

Cumbria

I certainly would."

For £1 you donate 60p goes directly to the administration of the charity just a form of self-tax ridiculous people should withdraw from it whenever possible.

Give time to making their community better.

By *hil most chillMan  over a year ago

London & Europe

It's the system that's messed up, so I don't blame the athletes. More at fault are the owners in my view

Some players donate more to charity in a week than any of us will in our lifetimes. Some have foundations set up and others do loads for local food banks.

Allan Saint-Maximin was giving out watches to fans and went to a toy shop in Gateshead and bought toys for every child in there. A lot of what they do will go unreported too.

Cardiff

OP - you may well have missed my first reply to you, or even chosen not to answer my questions.

Do you have a link please to these figures?

Cumbria

"Some players donate more to charity in a week than any of us will in our lifetimes. Some have foundations set up and others do loads for local food banks.

Allan Saint-Maximin was giving out watches to fans and went to a toy shop in Gateshead and bought toys for every child in there. A lot of what they do will go unreported too."

Yes, also Sadio Mane built a hospital for his local community.

By *mbatman2021Man  over a year ago

Southampton

Next the op will be dictating which charity's they should donate it to.

Tin town

"Some players donate more to charity in a week than any of us will in our lifetimes. Some have foundations set up and others do loads for local food banks.

Allan Saint-Maximin was giving out watches to fans and went to a toy shop in Gateshead and bought toys for every child in there. A lot of what they do will go unreported too."

Lovely gesture. Not much of a news story though. Better to report what an overpaid lazy etc footballer he is...

Allan Saint-Maximin was giving out watches to fans and went to a toy shop in Gateshead and bought toys for every child in there. A lot of what they do will go unreported too.

Lovely gesture. Not much of a news story though. Better to report what an overpaid lazy etc footballer he is... "

Yup. You only have to look at the stick Raheem Sterling took in some sections of the media for being "flash" and "throwing his money round" when he bought his mother a house. Personally I think, if you have money, making sure your nearest and dearest are cared for is the bare minimum, and in no way being "flash"

Like everything in life , there are players that donate Millions of pounds over their Career to charity, start foundations , wether schools, Hospital's, or children with needs and you will never hear of that simply because they don't want any limelight, yes some are humble others not so much , when HM was taken in to custody in Greece he said to the guard " do you know who l am ? " ..what a fucking asshole.

"Like everything in life , there are players that donate Millions of pounds over their Career to charity, start foundations , wether schools, Hospital's, or children with needs and you will never hear of that simply because they don't want any limelight, yes some are humble others not so much , when HM was taken in to custody in Greece he said to the guard " do you know who l am ? " ..what a fucking asshole."

Roy Keane said the same thing to a nurse in A&E once when he was told he had to wait like everyone else

"OP - you may well have missed my first reply to you, or even chosen not to answer my questions.

Do you have a link please to these figures?"

If you google 'footballer bonuses', look for the besoccer.com link. There's a piece there that talks about Alexis Sanchez.

Some numbers I had from there, others were ones I heard about from other sources.

Cardiff

"OP - you may well have missed my first reply to you, or even chosen not to answer my questions.

Do you have a link please to these figures?

If you google 'footballer bonuses', look for the besoccer.com link. There's a piece there that talks about Alexis Sanchez.

Some numbers I had from there, others were ones I heard about from other sources."

Thank you. I went and had a look. First thing that struck me is the article is 4 years old. So you could say those bonuses are higher now, or perhaps lower due to a drop in income during covid.

Same with other professions that reward a bonus though.

I've been in a situation where I've seen players discuss contract offers and it was 20 years ago approx, league 1 equivalent and there's a tonne of stuff chucked in that never make an article. Cars, houses, holiday homes. Plus the freebies from tech firms and all they ask for is a tweet or such in return.

But so what? Don't hate on them for it. Why expect them to refuse it. The agents job is to get the best deal for the players he represents, he gets his own bonus out of it too.

To slightly balance your views and to back others in what they have told you, go to Google and search 'Gareth Bale NHS Donation,' read any of the links provided to see what he did during the pandemic.

He never advertised it. They don't tend to, they just do these things.

» Add a new message to this topic