FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Sciatica

Sciatica

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *ich12369 OP   Man  over a year ago

Dewsbury

Hey everyone just wondering if anyone knows the best way to relieve the pain caused from sciatica been to doctors and got painkillers but they didn’t agree with me been recommended physio therapy but been told it’s a minimum of 20 week’s waiting time for an appointment.

Any help would me much appreciated

Thanks

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Nurofen-plus really helped me when I suffered, short term use only

"Hey everyone just wondering if anyone knows the best way to relieve the pain caused from sciatica been to doctors and got painkillers but they didn’t agree with me been recommended physio therapy but been told it’s a minimum of 20 week’s waiting time for an appointment.

Any help would me much appreciated

Thanks"

I was in the same boat. You tube exercises for sciatica. Did them for a few weeks daily and worked a treat. I don't envy you. The pain can be excruciating when it's bad...

By *ools and the brainCouple  over a year ago

couple, us we him her.

When laying on your back depending on which side it is place a cushion to one side bend you bad leg and let it rest on the cushion taking the weight of the bent leg, this can help relieve the pressure on the sciatic nerve.

But sciatica is just about the worst pain is unbearable at times.

Maybe contact a private physiotherapy

Good luck

By *ou only live onceMan  over a year ago

London

There are some really effective stretches you can do...have a quick Google as they're quite hard to explain in a comment!

A Tens unit.

By *edplusoneCouple  over a year ago

West Midlands

Counterintuitively it’s best to keep moving to recover from back issues, as pain allows. Sitting and protecting the back will cause it all to tighten up to protect the injury, causing more pain and the cycle goes on. Swimming might help. Alternate hot and cold around the lower back area.

I’d also recommend seeing a sports therapist in your area, nhs physios I have seen were unfortunately not worth the wait (sorry for any offence, I’m proud of the nhs).

Go back to your GP and make them aware you are still finding it very difficult to cope and they have to advise you of best remedy. It's what they are there for (get them to bloody do their job and make the necessary referrals to fast track your treatment). Don't let them of in brushing you of with a simple prescription. Health care isn't what it used to be, so you will need to be persistent. Good-luck.

Cbd balm from Holland and barrat

It’s expensive but worth it only use a little

I had it for years and I ended up having 2 steroid injections in my back and it sorted it out completely

By *inky_couple2020Couple  over a year ago

North West

"When laying on your back depending on which side it is place a cushion to one side bend you bad leg and let it rest on the cushion taking the weight of the bent leg, this can help relieve the pressure on the sciatic nerve.

But sciatica is just about the worst pain is unbearable at times.

Maybe contact a private physiotherapy

Good luck "

^^^This. I have sciatica on steroids (aka mega super duper sciatica with bells on) and honestly, nothing helps me.

If you can find a nice warm swimming pool, gentle exercise in the pool might help a bit, but doing things like breaststroke which causes arching of the lumbar spine can be problematic. Just float around supported by pool noodles and do some exercise to mobilise your legs and lower body while supported in the water.

There's limited evidence that any painkillers actually work for sciatic pain, but they reckon NSAIDs like ibuprofen or diclofenac might at least help a bit. Just be careful not to overdo them and take NSAIDs with food and maybe an antacid preparation from your doctor.

It's all well Googling exercises for sciatica but each case is different and some exercises might exacerbate. If you can afford one private physio consultation, it's worth it. Initial consults might be £50-60 but money well spent in my view.

By *ich12369 OP   Man  over a year ago

Dewsbury

Thanks acetone will be looking into all suggestions

20 weeks? That’s excessive! I did a self referral on Friday and I’ve got an appointment on the 17th.

Mrs

By *ad NannaWoman  over a year ago

East London

I had a deep tissue massage years back that helped mine.

My weight and a really uncomfortable chair has triggered it again.

The doctor at A&E prescribed me Diazepam which worked amazingly, I slept for 4 days and it had all but released when I came back around. Not suitable for all but god it worked quick and was such a relief.

An osteopath released my trapped sciatic nerve in two private sessions. Cost 100 quid but the pain relief was immense and almost instant.

Yoga stretches for hips and backs might also help but I'd get professional advice before trying anything like that.

By *a LunaWoman  over a year ago

South

I see a Chiropractor when mine plays up, it massively shortens the time I’m debilitated by it. I was diagnosed with a damaged sciatic nerve a good few years back now and get about two flare ups a year, these days my Dr’s just give me stronger pain killers, tell me to walk it off and that as I’m tall I’m going to be susceptible to back issues anyway.

By *otsossieMan  over a year ago

Chesterfield

Diclofenac (Voltarol), stretching, leg swings, maybe a chiropractor.

My DD has a tens machine... Swears by it. Get a cheap one from ebay

My osteopath fixes mine, takes a couple of days after to be completely pain free while everything settles but the worst of it is sorted pretty instantly.

Pxx

By *ongueandgroove555Couple  over a year ago

Waterford

All of the above plus an MRI scan to see is it a bulging disc pressing on the nerve or is it muscle spasm esp piriformis muscle I suspect a disc.

Pain killers, exercises, heat, tens machine, possibly nerver block and steroid injections (had this done twice works wonders)

Best of luck

By *andyh78Man  over a year ago

manchester

Try a YouTube clip by a yoga instructor called Lindsey samper. She has one called “safe stretches “ I do it whenever I feel my sciatica coming on

By *inky_couple2020Couple  over a year ago

North West

Just a note of caution, where someone has not had a full check up and they don't know if they have disc issues or not, they shouldn't have manual therapy where spinal manipulation takes place. It is dangerous and could lead to cauda equina syndrome. None hands-on therapy and treatment would have to suffice until the case is properly assessed. Physio assessment can give a good indication of whether it's disc related or not, but ultimately, MRI is the gold standard.

» Add a new message to this topic