FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > O.C.D

O.C.D

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

Anyone got an O.C.D?

Personally I have a thing about odd numbers

If I have the TV on the volume has to be set at an even number (60 for example)

I also think it's why I've never been into performing a 69

Seriously though, do you have an OCD?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Give her a 68 and write an iou for the rest.

"Give her a 68 and write an iou for the rest. "

I normally give a 70 and have her indebted to me

By *ilfCrumpet9Man  over a year ago

Wirral

Unfortunately for me yes I have. Its a part of my everyday life. My whole day is structured nothing changes. I also suffer from depression and anxiety so those don't really help.

Everything has to be perfect don't like things out of place. Follow a routine everyday and if this has to change for any reason then the anxiety kicks in.

It's horrible don't really tell anyone so keep it to myself

Wirral

"Anyone got an O.C.D?

Personally I have a thing about odd numbers

If I have the TV on the volume has to be set at an even number (60 for example)

I also think it's why I've never been into performing a 69

Seriously though, do you have an OCD? "

Totally understand the volume scale always has to be even lol

"Unfortunately for me yes I have. Its a part of my everyday life. My whole day is structured nothing changes. I also suffer from depression and anxiety so those don't really help.

Everything has to be perfect don't like things out of place. Follow a routine everyday and if this has to change for any reason then the anxiety kicks in.

It's horrible don't really tell anyone so keep it to myself "

I'm pretty much the same as you

I make a joke of it, but as you know living with it is difficult to say tbe least

By *icecouple561Couple  over a year ago
Forum Mod

East Sussex

"Unfortunately for me yes I have. Its a part of my everyday life. My whole day is structured nothing changes. I also suffer from depression and anxiety so those don't really help.

I make a joke of it, but as you know living with it is difficult to say tbe least "

On a serious note is that why you have a housework routine?

By *ohn KanakaMan  over a year ago

Not all that North of North London

OCD is a lot more than needing put the sound on an even setting.

People constantly misunderstood what OCD is and downplay it.

What you have described is one symptom, no mention of the constant invasive thoughts and bargaining and repetitive behaviour which truly defines the condition

I make a joke of it, but as you know living with it is difficult to say tbe least

On a serious note is that why you have a housework routine? "

Yes exactly that!

Sometimes I go to bed and it's playing on my mind that the bathroom could do with bleaching for example. So I get out of bed and do it, then once back in bed I may think about something else that might need doing. Or get back up to double check the doors and windows are locked and all the plugs out of their sockets etc

"OCD is a lot more than needing put the sound on an even setting.

What you have described is one symptom, no mention of the constant invasive thoughts and bargaining and repetitive behaviour which truly defines the condition"

Believe me I know!

By *izzy RascallMan  over a year ago

Cardiff

My pegs have to match on my washing line, so it's a seasonal O.C.D.

Makes me feel a bit sick if style, colours and material don't match. Next doors washing dont bother me.

It's kind of grown on me and I can't explain it

Forum Mod

East Sussex

Yes exactly that!

Sometimes I go to bed and it's playing on my mind that the bathroom could do with bleaching for example. So I get out of bed and do it, then once back in bed I may think about something else that might need doing. Or get back up to double check the doors and windows are locked and all the plugs out of their sockets etc "

It must be exhausting.

By *imply DeeWoman  over a year ago

Wherever

"OCD is a lot more than needing put the sound on an even setting.

What you have described is one symptom, no mention of the constant invasive thoughts and bargaining and repetitive behaviour which truly defines the condition"

Exactly.

By *adCherriesCouple  over a year ago

Cheshire/Northwest

Yes exactly that!

Sometimes I go to bed and it's playing on my mind that the bathroom could do with bleaching for example. So I get out of bed and do it, then once back in bed I may think about something else that might need doing. Or get back up to double check the doors and windows are locked and all the plugs out of their sockets etc "

I wouldn't class myself as OCD but agitated at small things. For example if I classed myself as ocd I couldn't cope with the herbs behind you not being colour coded, in size order and labels not facing the front but I suppose everyone has their annoyances.

Yes exactly that!

Sometimes I go to bed and it's playing on my mind that the bathroom could do with bleaching for example. So I get out of bed and do it, then once back in bed I may think about something else that might need doing. Or get back up to double check the doors and windows are locked and all the plugs out of their sockets etc

I wouldn't class myself as OCD but agitated at small things. For example if I classed myself as ocd I couldn't cope with the herbs behind you not being colour coded, in size order and labels not facing the front but I suppose everyone has their annoyances. "

Not my house but thanks

OCD is a tough nut to crack.

It's not a flaw, it's your brain on hyper alert guard mode. If it is after trauma or a serious life event or loss or stress or illness it's a natural response. It just needs rebalanced back to a non-urgent state.

It's good to reframe things. Don't see it as a negative force controlling you. See it as your body excelling in one area to the expense of others. Make a friend of it, don't try to kill it off. Use it and direct it's focus. Harness it.

I find that it helps to explore the what ifs. Like throwing on the light to prove there's no boogey man lurking in your wardrobe.

What would realistically, actually happen if...

Is that likely?

Will anything be different if you waited until the morning to do it?

Have you done everything that it is reasonable to do to avoid a bad outcome?

The key word is reasonable. We're human. And there are no 100% guarantees to anything. Just do the best that circumstances allow and use the likes of breathing techniques or writing down a reminder to manage any residual stress from what you can't affect.

You need to find a way to deflate the negative until you can set down and walk away.

Visualisation is good to know it's there but it's addressed and you can pick it back up if or when you are able and ready.

Be patient and find what works for you

By *atricia ParnelWoman  over a year ago

In a town full of colours

Only that I like things in neat boxes, that goes for personal as well as material things. Definitely a control thing, but some friends help me to let it go occasionally and that works for me

By *imi_RougeWoman  over a year ago

Portsmouth

My son was diagnosed with OCD a few years ago, not sure what caused it, but stress of exams brought it out. He has a fear that bad things will happen to people he loves if he doesn't do things a certain way. Washing hands used to be a big issue, couldn't walk over 3 drains, had to walk the same route to school. It's really very distressing.

Forum Mod

East Sussex

I've only known one person who I suspect suffered with ocd. She was highly anxious all the time and often made herself late back from lunch or went missing from her desk for hours because she was compelled to do certain things.

The effects of it impact family, friends and colleagues. It's a horrible thing

"My son was diagnosed with OCD a few years ago, not sure what caused it, but stress of exams brought it out. He has a fear that bad things will happen to people he loves if he doesn't do things a certain way. Washing hands used to be a big issue, couldn't walk over 3 drains, had to walk the same route to school. It's really very distressing."

I used to constantly tell myself that If I didn't do certain things that my mum would die. I just had to do it in case I was to blame if she passed

Thankfully that's gone but other thoughts have taken over

Can't explain it

Cardiff

"I've only known one person who I suspect suffered with ocd. She was highly anxious all the time and often made herself late back from lunch or went missing from her desk for hours because she was compelled to do certain things.

The effects of it impact family, friends and colleagues. It's a horrible thing"

Perhaps maybe I don't have O.C.D then, I've never been diagnosed with it by a professional.

Forum Mod

East Sussex

"I've only known one person who I suspect suffered with ocd. She was highly anxious all the time and often made herself late back from lunch or went missing from her desk for hours because she was compelled to do certain things.

The effects of it impact family, friends and colleagues. It's a horrible thing

Perhaps maybe I don't have O.C.D then, I've never been diagnosed with it by a professional."

I couldn't say but I know that having to have your soul tins all facing forwards and petrol pump read on a number of litres isn't it.

I read a book written by the parent of an ocd sufferer. The things that girl went through were awful

Forum Mod

East Sussex

*soup time

Although if you keep souls in tins I'm not judging

Cardiff

"*soup time

Although if you keep souls in tins I'm not judging"

You keep people's souls in tins don't you? You've said it twice now and quickly try and brush it under the carpet by saying 'soup'.

*do not piss this Moderator off, you will end up in a tin

I've just got this thing with pegs, that's all it is now, just a weird thing (I've mentioned it up near the top) after reading people's knowledge of OCD I will never say, 'yes I have' again

I have a mild form in that even numbers on volume, things in certain places, geting out of bed only on 5 minute increments, certain washing and housework done on particular days.

I have 2 kids so I have learnt to let quite a few things go as they are not tidy people.

Portsmouth

"*soup time

Shhh.... Don't tell anyone about the souls in tins!!

I mean I like things to be a certain way, I'll line things up to be symmetrical etc. Fridge management (when there's food in the fridge) I like to be coordinated and matching with things I wear, but I don't have the dread or fear that goes with it. I just feel really uncomfortable if something is out of place.

Cardiff

"I have a mild form in that even numbers on volume, things in certain places, geting out of bed only on 5 minute increments, certain washing and housework done on particular days.

I have 2 kids so I have learnt to let quite a few things go as they are not tidy people. "

Out of interest, have you been diagnosed as OCD?

"I have a mild form in that even numbers on volume, things in certain places, geting out of bed only on 5 minute increments, certain washing and housework done on particular days.

I have 2 kids so I have learnt to let quite a few things go as they are not tidy people.

Out of interest, have you been diagnosed as OCD?"

I have

Forum Mod

East Sussex

"*soup time

You keep people's souls in tins don't you? You've said it twice now and quickly try and brush it under the carpet by saying 'soup'.

I've just got this thing with pegs, that's all it is now, just a weird thing (I've mentioned it up near the top) after reading people's knowledge of OCD I will never say, 'yes I have' again "

You'll be ok Minestrone er I mean Jizzy .

I like to have matching pegs and tins facing forward and I'm a bit anxious about doors being locked when I go out but I'm nowhere near ocd

"*soup time

Please tell me how you catch the souls in the first place? Do you have a machine like they do in ghost busters?

"after reading people's knowledge of OCD I will never say, 'yes I have' again "

I was hoping it might be quite light hearted, but it took a serious tone, so I did not like to say I have a habit of counting the number of steps it takes me to get from the bus stop home, or around the park, or when climbing steps in an office, or...

could be worse, my little bro when asked to go out and pick tomatoes from the garden when we were kids, used to count the number of tomatoes and tell us how many red ones and how many green ones there were - and forget to pick any.

By *atnip make me purrWoman  over a year ago

Reading

[Removed by poster at 27/01/23 12:21:52]

Forum Mod

East Sussex

"*soup time

Shhh.... Don't tell anyone about the souls in tins!!

"

I don't think they've noticed

Forum Mod

East Sussex

"*soup time

Please tell me how you catch the souls in the first place? Do you have a machine like they do in ghost busters? "

if I told you I'd have to...

Cardiff

I have "

Sorry to hear that Dan but the question was to the lady who said 'mild'.

Out of interest, have you been diagnosed as OCD?"

Not officially no as I don't really see the need to go through the jumping through hoops to get diagnosed. I just roll with it and try not to let it effect other people. This pretty much means mumbling annoyance to myself.

Cardiff

"*soup time

I've just got this thing with pegs, that's all it is now, just a weird thing (I've mentioned it up near the top) after reading people's knowledge of OCD I will never say, 'yes I have' again

I like to have matching pegs and tins facing forward and I'm a bit anxious about doors being locked when I go out but I'm nowhere near ocd"

So what do we say then? Teach me. I'm here to learn.

Is it just a 'weird thing', a 'thing'.

I previously diagnosed myself with OCD and now I have un diagnosed myself, I've been discharged, I've got the all clear.

But the thing I do will be happening again early March I hope so I need to call it something.

I'm ever so sorry for those who struggle with these things, Dan the OP for eg. It's quite a serious subject

Cardiff

Not officially no as I don't really see the need to go through the jumping through hoops to get diagnosed. I just roll with it and try not to let it effect other people. This pretty much means mumbling annoyance to myself. "

I don't really see myself as superstitious so it can't be that that makes me match my pegs but I feel sick if I don't. I can't relax. It's not like butterflies on a date or a dodgy case of Delhi belly. It eats away at me though.

Thank you for your honest answer on such a personal thing

By *oldyoudown41Man  over a year ago

caledonian

Not sure what I have but I’m definitely odd

Forum Mod

East Sussex

"*soup time

I like to have matching pegs and tins facing forward and I'm a bit anxious about doors being locked when I go out but I'm nowhere near ocd

I previously diagnosed myself with OCD and now I have un diagnosed myself, I've been discharged, I've got the all clear.

But the thing I do will be happening again early March I hope so I need to call it something.

I'm ever so sorry for those who struggle with these things, Dan the OP for eg. It's quite a serious subject "

Just call it a 'quirk'. We all have them. My dad for reasons known only to himself will never finish a packet of cheese or bar of soap before opening another. There are always at least three opened identical cheese packets in the fridge and half a dozen soaps in the bathroom.

Portsmouth

"*soup time

I'm ever so sorry for those who struggle with these things, Dan the OP for eg. It's quite a serious subject "

Maybe it's just a coping mechanism, or anxiety. Lots of people have GAD generalised anxiety disorder. Usually a reaction to some sort of trauma.

Cardiff

"*soup time

I'm ever so sorry for those who struggle with these things, Dan the OP for eg. It's quite a serious subject

Just call it a 'quirk'. We all have them. My dad for reasons known only to himself will never finish a packet of cheese or bar of soap before opening another. There are always at least three opened identical cheese packets in the fridge and half a dozen soaps in the bathroom. "

A 'quirk'. YES Thank You.

I've never described myself as 'quirky' maybe I'm not but I do have a quirk now.

It's like going from Aldi to Waitrose, a thing to a quirk

Cardiff

"*soup time

Maybe it's just a coping mechanism, or anxiety. Lots of people have GAD generalised anxiety disorder. Usually a reaction to some sort of trauma."

The part where Dan wrote about how if he doesn't do a particular thing, something may happen to his Mum. That's a mad pressure to live with, a constant inner fight.

Dan, I'm glad your past that now. Leave it there if you can

"So what do we say then? Teach me. I'm here to learn.

"

To me it's a characteristic consistent with a symptom of OCD.

I'm not OCD but I am autistic, a lot of people will say "oh we're all a bit autistic" usually based on display a mild form of one of the symptoms, it doesn't make them autistic though. Amd I think this is the same thing, it's what I meant in my first post on the thread, its way more than liking things done in a certain way

Forum Mod

East Sussex

The person I knew lost a parent at quite a young age. I guess (without being in any way qualified)that's where her problems started

Cardiff

I'm not OCD but I am autistic, a lot of people will say "oh we're all a bit autistic" usually based on display a mild form of one of the symptoms, it doesn't make them autistic though. Amd I think this is the same thing, it's what I meant in my first post on the thread, its way more than liking things done in a certain way

"

Partaking in this thread has reminded me so much of Autism and my only knowledge is a recent online Awareness course, so I'm not that knowledgeable on the subject either.

I do remember though it teaching me your either on the spectrum or not, some people of course show different characteristics of it.

Similar with OCD I suppose.

I'm happy to refer to my peg thing as a quirk as Nicecouple has educated me, it is only that one thing in my life

Partaking in this thread has reminded me so much of Autism and my only knowledge is a recent online Awareness course, so I'm not that knowledgeable on the subject either.

I do remember though it teaching me your either on the spectrum or not, some people of course show different characteristics of it.

Similar with OCD I suppose.

I'm happy to refer to my peg thing as a quirk as Nicecouple has educated me, it is only that one thing in my life"

I absolutely love the reflection on this thread

"*soup time

Maybe it's just a coping mechanism, or anxiety. Lots of people have GAD generalised anxiety disorder. Usually a reaction to some sort of trauma.

The part where Dan wrote about how if he doesn't do a particular thing, something may happen to his Mum. That's a mad pressure to live with, a constant inner fight.

Dan, I'm glad your past that now. Leave it there if you can "

Thank you

It's a terrible thing to think and used to totally dominate my life

Cardiff

"*soup time

Dan, I'm glad your past that now. Leave it there if you can

Thank you

It's a terrible thing to think and used to totally dominate my life "

It's got the makings of a Hollywood blockbuster that has you crying with laughter one minute and crying with upset emotions the next.

It's probably been done already though

By *he_Secret_GardenWoman  over a year ago

Naughty Lane

"My pegs have to match on my washing line, so it's a seasonal O.C.D.

Makes me feel a bit sick if style, colours and material don't match. Next doors washing dont bother me.

It's kind of grown on me and I can't explain it "

You worse than me so... I have a thing about lots of things.

Cardiff

You worse than me so... I have a thing about lots of things."

You got Quirks. I have a Quirk. We are both Quirky.

I genuinely will be updating my profile saying I'm quite Quirky

By *he_Secret_GardenWoman  over a year ago

Naughty Lane

I genuinely will be updating my profile saying I'm quite Quirky "

I always say im a bit of a weirdo...

Cardiff

I genuinely will be updating my profile saying I'm quite Quirky I always say im a bit of a weirdo... "

Same here but the nicest one you could meet

Wirral

On a serious note is that why you have a housework routine? "

My whole life's a routine a lot of things you can't share because folk think you are daft

By *arkandlovelyWoman  over a year ago

South Derbyshire

Ffs. People describing themselves as "a bit OCD" for liking their knife and fork lined up straight or the television volume on an even number make my teeth itch.

» Add a new message to this topic