FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Strange question

Strange question

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

If you saw something made from shapes and lights that your brain couldn't comprehend would it become invisible or would your brain create the best possible image so you can see it?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *inky_couple2020Couple  over a year ago

North West

If our brains don't recognise something, we generally try to create an image that we do recognise. Brains are excellent at lying to us and filling in the gaps with something that makes sense.

It's why people who witness crimes and who are adamant they've seen XYZ can often be very wrong but without meaning to be. E.g. they might have clocked the skin colour and gender correctly but not the clothing, so our brains tell us something plausible/logical to fill in our recollection.

A lot of childhood "memories" aren't really memories, it's what you've been told by others, seen in photos etc.

"If our brains don't recognise something, we generally try to create an image that we do recognise. Brains are excellent at lying to us and filling in the gaps with something that makes sense.

It's why people who witness crimes and who are adamant they've seen XYZ can often be very wrong but without meaning to be. E.g. they might have clocked the skin colour and gender correctly but not the clothing, so our brains tell us something plausible/logical to fill in our recollection.

A lot of childhood "memories" aren't really memories, it's what you've been told by others, seen in photos etc."

That's actually very interesting wow I never new that but so in this situation what would happen? Would our brain try and fill in the gaps? Because it would be colors and shapes you can't comprehend

North West

"If our brains don't recognise something, we generally try to create an image that we do recognise. Brains are excellent at lying to us and filling in the gaps with something that makes sense.

A lot of childhood "memories" aren't really memories, it's what you've been told by others, seen in photos etc.

That's actually very interesting wow I never new that but so in this situation what would happen? Would our brain try and fill in the gaps? Because it would be colors and shapes you can't comprehend "

Almost certainly your brain would connect to the closest thing(s) that matched and you would then try to describe the new thing in those terms. E.g. "it was kinda like a squared shaped circular dodecahedron with sky-blue pink stripey lights...."

That's actually very interesting wow I never new that but so in this situation what would happen? Would our brain try and fill in the gaps? Because it would be colors and shapes you can't comprehend

Almost certainly your brain would connect to the closest thing(s) that matched and you would then try to describe the new thing in those terms. E.g. "it was kinda like a squared shaped circular dodecahedron with sky-blue pink stripey lights....""

Huh, very interesting thanks

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Have you seen a ufo?

By *lephantisMan  over a year ago

Oxford

This IS interesting, but we don't need to treat it in the abstract. There is plenty of historical evidence for what happens when, for example, hunter-gatherer peoples see a plane for the first time, and have no conceptual category for it. They fit it as best they can, using what they have.

"Have you seen a ufo?"

When coming back from mu ex's ones yea

[Removed by poster at 22/01/23 00:51:25]

"This IS interesting, but we don't need to treat it in the abstract. There is plenty of historical evidence for what happens when, for example, hunter-gatherer peoples see a plane for the first time, and have no conceptual category for it. They fit it as best they can, using what they have."

No wait, but you can understand the shape and colour of that I'm talking about seeing something you literally can't comprehend like trying to explain what the smell of pink is like to a blind person while using flesh cards

North West

Have a look at "confabulation" and separately, "source amnesia".

You could also Google "how the brain lies to us" to bring up some interesting cognitive neuroscience and psychology articles that we can't link to on here (rules n shizz).

"Have a look at "confabulation" and separately, "source amnesia".

You could also Google "how the brain lies to us" to bring up some interesting cognitive neuroscience and psychology articles that we can't link to on here (rules n shizz)."

I wish I had time to really deep dive into this but i can't but its an interesting thought. I guess it's like seeing something from the 4 dimension how would you describe it if you don't even know how to start understanding it

North West

You could also Google "how the brain lies to us" to bring up some interesting cognitive neuroscience and psychology articles that we can't link to on here (rules n shizz).

I wish I had time to really deep dive into this but i can't but its an interesting thought. I guess it's like seeing something from the 4 dimension how would you describe it if you don't even know how to start understanding it"

My Dad (who has dementia) tells us some marvellous stories about what he's been up to, because he can't actually remember and his brain just pulls random things out of his long term memory. The short term memory is non existent now. We, the family, know it's confabulation because his stories include people long dead or he's driven himself in a car (which he doesn't have). However, it's irritating because often the stories are plausible if you don't know the facts and so he "passes" with his GP or whoever. He's told them all about his sister, for example. Who was born and died before he was born, she died as an infant. Yet, the doc believed him..... Dangerous stuff, the brain.

I wish I had time to really deep dive into this but i can't but its an interesting thought. I guess it's like seeing something from the 4 dimension how would you describe it if you don't even know how to start understanding it

My Dad (who has dementia) tells us some marvellous stories about what he's been up to, because he can't actually remember and his brain just pulls random things out of his long term memory. The short term memory is non existent now. We, the family, know it's confabulation because his stories include people long dead or he's driven himself in a car (which he doesn't have). However, it's irritating because often the stories are plausible if you don't know the facts and so he "passes" with his GP or whoever. He's told them all about his sister, for example. Who was born and died before he was born, she died as an infant. Yet, the doc believed him..... Dangerous stuff, the brain. "

I look after some people with dementia it's interesting but sad

» Add a new message to this topic