FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Employing the over 50's

Employing the over 50's

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *ools and the brain OP   Couple  over a year ago

couple, us we him her.

Despite law's against age discrimination seems it's still alive and thriving within the employment market.

Hardworking and people who have valuable experience are being left on the shelf in favour of cheap inexperienced staff.

Is this right or wrong?

Are you a "fuck the over 50's" type

Or a

"You can't buy that experience and knowledge utilize them to their maximum capabilities " type

Are you over 50 and struggling to find employment in your given field?

It's a discussion not an opinion.

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

I used to be the general manager of a London Hotel, employing around 600 staff (including casuals)

I found that the majority of staff that phoned in sick, or turned out to be generally unreliable, were the over fifties

Luckily I've been blessed with opportunity, but I think you're right.

Is it due to changes in qualifications and educational requirements maybe?

You may find somebody with years of experience in a sector but they may not have completed the most recent training etc?

It's a funny age....you feel young and capable with energy, so not old. Yer starting to feel slightly out of touch with newer thinking and methods.

Everyone can bring something to the table in the right environment?

By *arahb67TV/TS  over a year ago

Hoylake

I think it depends on what sector you work in.

In my sector,, it only us fossils that know our trade

Younger people are easier to idealize then dyed-in-the-wool older people. I am a shade over 50 and have just gone ack to work and it is tougher now. The demands placed on you are stricter than years ago and of course the benefits have dried up. But it keep me fit for perving though

Despite huge increases in higher education and immigration Britain somehow has shortages of both labour and skills. We need to maximise the opportunities for those of all ages who want to work and enable life long learning. If this does not include the over 50s and 60s then our economy will be even more fucked than it is !

By *itonthesideWoman  over a year ago

Glasgow

Now you mention it, we recruited 3 times in the last 6 months. No ages on CVs , i would guess the oldest candidate i interviewed was mid 40s

It wasn’t a conscious decision i just dont think we had any older candidates. Perhaps its not that they are not being offered new jobs, maybe the are not applying for them

By *2000ManMan  over a year ago

Worthing

I am not quite there yet but the last office I.T. job was a little bit of a pain at times. Lack of planning among the younger project managers was quite common. Very nice people but time and time again I was required to "pick up the slack". Glad I am freelance now!

By *ohn KanakaMan  over a year ago

Not all that North of North London

Something I've seen is that people who have retired young got a nice fat pension waiting for them and take a job in their 50s ti fill the time til they claim the pension are lazy amd lack commitment.

Not sure if this is specific to having worked with a lot of ex coppers

By *ayHaychMan  over a year ago

Leeds (Home) / Sheffield (Work)

In my field you’re in a strong steady position by 30-40. Being in your 50s is not considered old at all and the ones who are in their 70s+ either retire or can’t let go so continue to do valuable consultancy or supervision work. They get paid handsomely for it too.

My field wouldn’t survive without people in their 50s+

Any work place should have a mix of ages, talents, sexes etc. We all have a part to play.

Interesting responses.

In the 'department' i work in, i find the youngsters (the under 30's) to be the laziest and the most likely to phone in sick.

And less likely to help team mates out.

A lot do the absolute minimum amount of time required where we are, and apply for a cushy easy number in an office doing 9-5, the first chance they get.

There seems to be a lack of wanting to be professional too.

Im the oldest on my team by 10yrs. And as much as i still love my job, its now starting to tire me.

25yrs of shiftwork, sometimes doing 7 shifts with different start and finish times, takes its toll.

By *rHotNottsMan  over a year ago

Dubai & Nottingham

So the roles I hire are never anticipated for more than 2-3 years, people should see projects as stepping stones , so 50s are fine if they have the energy and enthusiasm to learn.

In fast paced sectors , attitude and potential to make an impact is often as important than experience, not all experience is good. This can sometimes put older people at a disadvantage if they come with the wrong attitude

By *inky_couple2020Couple  over a year ago

North West

My team consists of newly qualified young staff, upto staff in their early 70s. I think my attitude to age should be clear - it's irrelevant, I just want someone qualified and able/willing to do the job.

By *ealitybitesMan  over a year ago

Belfast

I changed jobs aged 54 but lost that job as a direct result of covid lockdowns. I was lucky though as I had a friend who needed help with his business so there were no concerns about finding employment.

I have found though in various management and supervisory roles that laziness and finding ways to buck the system isn't age related. The only difference is that older people are slightly more subtle.

I've refused to employ people of all ages because of their lack of interest during interviews but when I've had a choice to make I've always gone with experience over potential.

By *agerMorganMan  over a year ago

Canvey Island

nah, I don’t understand companies that discriminate based on age. If you have the knowledge, expertise, experience that they’re looking for, why wouldn’t you bring them in?

There was one interview where I knew I had been discriminated against because of race (well known Charity)

» Add a new message to this topic