FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > So now the genre rules have been blurred...

So now the genre rules have been blurred...

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

... Would a woman feel comfortable being in a state of undress if men started usingand undressing in the ladies changing rooms? Like at the gym, swimming baths ect, no point asking the reverse of men!

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Any background here? Something in the news? A change in the law, or are you meaning just socially?

Have you been to a public swimming pool recently?

By *hePerkyPumpkinTV/TS  over a year ago

Bristol

At Uni all the toilets are gender neutral and no one seems to mind... people aren't getting undressed in them though.

I'm sure some would and some wouldn't. Are women allowed to have that choice?

By *penbicoupleCouple  over a year ago

Northampton

What rules have blurred?

By *antra MassageMan  over a year ago

Wicklow

In lots of leisure centres, its shared changing rooms, with separate shower rooms.

I was coming through the airport recently and saw signs on the toilets (both male and female) saying:

"These facilities are cleaned by both male and female personnel"

So obviously it's only trans people who are the danger because the media didnt tell us to be afraid of the people whole clean the toilets...right?

Absolutely not.

Too many weirdos.

Miss S x

By *adyJayneWoman  over a year ago

Burnleyish (She/They)

"... Would a woman feel comfortable being in a state of undress if men started usingand undressing in the ladies changing rooms? Like at the gym, swimming baths ect, no point asking the reverse of men! "

I lived in Germany. My local swimming pool changing room was one big unisex room with no cubicles, mixed showers (and noone showered in swimwear - that is as unclean as wearing swimwear in a sauna)

So personally I'd be completely unphased.

"... Would a woman feel comfortable being in a state of undress if men started usingand undressing in the ladies changing rooms? Like at the gym, swimming baths ect, no point asking the reverse of men! "

I wouldn’t feel uncomfortable , but I would do if a male starts leering & making stupid remarks , then my inner voice would come out

I think genre rules have been blurred for ages. Science fiction thrillers, historical murder mysteries etc.

If it bothers you just avoid libraries and book shops

[Removed by poster at 18/01/23 15:39:16]

By *ohn KanakaMan  over a year ago

Not all that North of North London

I'm not entirely sure what you mean about gender rules being blurred?

Buy I feel that your use of the words "no point asking men" is telling because it highlights a behaviour you assume all men display?

By *inger_the_NinjaMan  over a year ago

Frome

Hmmmm, this is inflammatory innit. Is genre the word you meant to use?

I think everyone thinks this thread is about gender

It’s about genre dammit/

I feel Die Hard movie blurred the genre of a Xmas movie .

"... Would a woman feel comfortable being in a state of undress if men started usingand undressing in the ladies changing rooms? Like at the gym, swimming baths ect, no point asking the reverse of men!

Buy I feel that your use of the words "no point asking men" is telling because it highlights a behaviour you assume all men display?

"

Nah it's more likely that he forgot that trans men exist!

By *ittlebirdWoman  over a year ago

The Big Smoke

"I think everyone thinks this thread is about gender

It’s about genre dammit/

I feel Die Hard movie blurred the genre of a Xmas movie ."

^^ I see what you did there

And it’s the best Christmas film. Fact

By *bi HaiveMan  over a year ago
Forum Mod

Cheeseville, Somerset

"... Would a woman feel comfortable being in a state of undress if men started usingand undressing in the ladies changing rooms? Like at the gym, swimming baths ect, no point asking the reverse of men!

"

I assumed 'genre' was a typo.

I've been abroad where changing areas are unisex but cubicle based. Way back when I was at uni the toilets and showers in my hall were all unisex and again separate rather than open.

I've never seen a mixed changing area where its open plan and you're just expected to strip in front of anyone.

Sorry if that doesn't suit any agenda you had OP but it's perfectly possible to have a mixed space and maintain personal privacy.

A

I also very much disagree with this part of the OP.

"no point asking the reverse of men!"

If the changing room was entirely open, with no cubicles, "females" would also include young girls. I would not be at all comfortable taking my clothes off in front of potentially vulnerable female children, and be accused of "leering" at them when that would be the last thing I would ever do. Saying that though, a public swimming baths would be in my top ten list of "my personal hell". I never have been to one and certainly never will.

I assumed 'genre' was a typo.

I've been abroad where changing areas are unisex but cubicle based. Way back when I was at uni the toilets and showers in my hall were all unisex and again separate rather than open.

I've never seen a mixed changing area where its open plan and you're just expected to strip in front of anyone.

Sorry if that doesn't suit any agenda you had OP but it's perfectly possible to have a mixed space and maintain personal privacy.

A"

I would say it’s a cultural issue of UK versus Europe. We see nakedness as a sexual perhaps.

Look how many behave when see a breastfeeding mother in a coffee shop.

The UK isn’t ready to evolve in having mixed changing rooms.

By *inky_couple2020Couple  over a year ago

North West

We went to the Netherlands for a visit and considered going to a hotel spa nearby. The information stated it was a no-swimwear zone as a rule, with one Thursday a month as a "covered up" day. The local swimming baths similarly had daily nude swim sessions as a standard thing.

By *ananaman41Man  over a year ago

Dublin

I think a distinction has to be drawn between a changing area that's unisex but with cubicles and cubicle showers, and a changing /shower area thats open plan.

I would imagine most women would have a big problem with the latter if men started using them

There's no way that I would use a changing room with just an open area that men could also use

But I can imagine that not all men would like this either. Not all men are looking for an excuse to see a woman half dressed and would probably feel awkward themselves, and also not all men would feel comfortable if a woman walked in on them half dressed (especially if they had confidence issues)

By *ouple in LancashireCouple  over a year ago

in Lancashire

"Have you been to a public swimming pool recently?

"

This..

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman  over a year ago

King's Crustacean

This.."

That

By *naswingdressWoman  over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

This reminds me very much of "if we allow men to marry each other, then what next, cats marrying dogs, the world will end!"

I just looked out the window and it was very unfortunate that the sweet canine -feline wedding at the church across the road was interrupted by that giant fireball. All those same sex marriages. Doom!

I have no problem using facilities for people who identify as women alongside those who identify as women, using the resources we already have if someone decides that they want to take the piss. (I have no idea how enbys fit in here, I suppose that's a problem with our system of categorisation)

North West

This..

That"

But don't shake it all about. That might provoke consternation

Manchester (she/her)

This..

That

But don't shake it all about. That might provoke consternation "

If you call it the hokey pokey rather than what it's called in this country, your whole message might get through on Fab

Dublin

"There's no way that I would use a changing room with just an open area that men could also use

But I can imagine that not all men would like this either. Not all men are looking for an excuse to see a woman half dressed and would probably feel awkward themselves, and also not all men would feel comfortable if a woman walked in on them half dressed (especially if they had confidence issues)"

I would imagine most women would share your view on this also

Similarly, a lot of men, myself included, would also share that view for the reverse scenario

There's a current thread on guys checking eachother out at the urinal and fun it leads to.

Yet guys say going for a trip to the loo isn't a sexual behaviour or risk.

Can't cry foul and deny the risk to vulnerable people of sharing these environments and then have people describing and horning over that very behaviour in the next breath. (By vulnerable people I refer to ALL factors of age old&young, gender, generational, ability, etc.)

The risk exists and it's important that all voices are heard and given respect.

Dublin

"There's a current thread on guys checking eachother out at the urinal and fun it leads to.

Can't cry foul and deny the risk to vulnerable people of sharing these environments and then have people describing and horning over that very behaviour in the next breath. (By vulnerable people I refer to ALL factors of age old&young, gender, generational, ability, etc.)

The risk exists and it's important that all voices are heard and given respect."

Sorry, i dont follow the relevance to this thread?

"There's a current thread on guys checking eachother out at the urinal and fun it leads to.

Sorry, i dont follow the relevance to this thread? "

Well I put it simply enough, not sure where you're struggling.

I think these things tend to be one sided.

Take carers for example.

Any home visits by carers to a man, can be either male or female, but if the person needing care is female, then it will be a female carer visiting.

Unless someone here knows otherwise.

With regards to your examples, I think all men seem to be regarded as potential or actual perverts, so it won't ever happen.

By *ealitybitesMan  over a year ago

Belfast

Years ago the local pool had separate changing rooms that didn't have cubicles.

When I was changing one evening a woman walked in with her 8 or 9 year old son and proceeded to get him undressed. It caused uproar with the 15 or so men in the room and they told her to get out but she was adamant she had a right to protect her son.

One man went and complained to staff but they said they could ask her to leave but were powerless to remove her.

The man said that was fine but he was just going to pop into the ladies changing rooms to check on his young daughter and was immediately told they would call the police if he did so.

The woman was ignorant and entitled but neither option was acceptable then and still shouldn't be.

North West

Take carers for example.

Any home visits by carers to a man, can be either male or female, but if the person needing care is female, then it will be a female carer visiting.

With regards to your examples, I think all men seem to be regarded as potential or actual perverts, so it won't ever happen."

I don't know if it's different in nursing homes, but my Grandma was definitely cared for by male staff.

Take carers for example.

With regards to your examples, I think all men seem to be regarded as potential or actual perverts, so it won't ever happen."

I’m a care manager and that’s not strictly true. People are asked if they would prefer a carer of the same gender or if they don’t mind.

MOST men don’t mind, MOST women seem to prefer a female carer.

But all are offered the option. It comes under safeguarding. A care company forcing a resident to accept a male or female carer for personal care when they have specifically requested the other is seen as sexual abuse and CQC would not look kindly on it.

Forum Mod

Cheeseville, Somerset

"

I don't think the two are comparable.

You're talking about a forum discussion on a swingers website that 'some' men have commented on related what could be described as inappropriate behaviour, alongside a situation an normal life.

I'm not supporting those that said they openly perve on people that haven't given consent in a male only urinal environment.

But that bears no relation at all to any discussion on people using communal changing areas in a public gym, pool or spa.

For 99.9% of men going to the loo is just that - going to the loo.

You'll always get the odd one or two discussing behaviour that the majority, whether swingers or not, would deem inappropriate. It's the same with the 'flashing truckers' threads.

A

Manchester (she/her)

You're talking about a forum discussion on a swingers website that 'some' men have commented on related what could be described as inappropriate behaviour, alongside a situation an normal life.

I'm not supporting those that said they openly perve on people that haven't given consent in a male only urinal environment.

But that bears no relation at all to any discussion on people using communal changing areas in a public gym, pool or spa.

You'll always get the odd one or two discussing behaviour that the majority, whether swingers or not, would deem inappropriate. It's the same with the 'flashing truckers' threads.

A"

Or surprising the pizza delivery guy

Forum Mod

Cheeseville, Somerset

A

Or surprising the pizza delivery guy"

Or the plumber.

I mean....I could start a thread discussing why women have to go to the loo in pairs in bars and clubs. We all know it's just for a gossip but hey - they could easily just be perving on eachother surely?

A

*I'm not being serious of course. It's definitely just to gossip.....

Manchester (she/her)

A

Or surprising the pizza delivery guy

Or the plumber.

I mean....I could start a thread discussing why women have to go to the loo in pairs in bars and clubs. We all know it's just for a gossip but hey - they could easily just be perving on eachother surely?

A

*I'm not being serious of course. It's definitely just to gossip.....

"

I strongly disagree. And you don't have to agree with me either.

It's been stated by many many people that entering a place where clothes are either removed or undone makes them feel vulnerable and in reality they are made vulnerable.

These statements are rebutted by people saying 'oh you are scaremongering that all men use lavatories for sex' to use an absolute to try and cancel the facts. But that's ignoring the reality that SOME definitely do.

So how does a person know to feel safe or not? They don't. Those wishing to do harm do not advertise it.

Knowing that SOME do see the venue as a place away from prying eyes to act in a way that would be unacceptable to most is reason enough to prevent it.

There is a very clear duty of care in government to make reasonable accommodations for ALL and to protect the rights of ALL be they the minority or the majority. Those who are comfortable, go to a mixed one. Those who are not, go to a single sex one.

By *olly_chromaticTV/TS  over a year ago

Stockport

Personally I feel that all changing areas should have plenty of private cubicles and showers for those that want to use them, whether male or female. With separate access to them, rather then having to walk through the shared changing area to get to cubicles. This would ensure that anybody that wants privacy to get changed can have it, and they are also not forced to walk past people in a state of undress. So that

- if you don't want to be seen changing, you can be private

- if you want to make sure that you don't see anyone else changing, you can be private.

Myself, I neither want anyone to see me changing, nor want to have to look at anyone else changing.

The very first swimming baths that I went to, when I was a kid, had private cubicles all along both of the long sides of the pool. There were no gender segregated changing areas, everyone just used a private cubicle. A male could use a cubicle next door to a female, but the walls were full length, so privacy was preserved. If this system was good enough 50 years ago, it should be good enough now...

"Personally I feel that all changing areas should have plenty of private cubicles and showers for those that want to use them, whether male or female. With separate access to them, rather then having to walk through the shared changing area to get to cubicles. This would ensure that anybody that wants privacy to get changed can have it, and they are also not forced to walk past people in a state of undress. So that

- if you want to make sure that you don't see anyone else changing, you can be private.

Myself, I neither want anyone to see me changing, nor want to have to look at anyone else changing.

The very first swimming baths that I went to, when I was a kid, had private cubicles all along both of the long sides of the pool. There were no gender segregated changing areas, everyone just used a private cubicle. A male could use a cubicle next door to a female, but the walls were full length, so privacy was preserved. If this system was good enough 50 years ago, it should be good enough now..."

^^ exactly.

This is debated like the solution needs to be either / or.... its not rocket science to just cater for all. Add options. People simply want to choose according to their situation and their preference.

I lived in Germany. My local swimming pool changing room was one big unisex room with no cubicles, mixed showers (and noone showered in swimwear - that is as unclean as wearing swimwear in a sauna)

So personally I'd be completely unphased. "

I think many countries are much more liberal about these than the UK is, especially about being naked in front of other people..

I'll still hide behind my towel though

Dublin

"Personally I feel that all changing areas should have plenty of private cubicles and showers for those that want to use them, whether male or female. With separate access to them, rather then having to walk through the shared changing area to get to cubicles. This would ensure that anybody that wants privacy to get changed can have it, and they are also not forced to walk past people in a state of undress. So that

The very first swimming baths that I went to, when I was a kid, had private cubicles all along both of the long sides of the pool. There were no gender segregated changing areas, everyone just used a private cubicle. A male could use a cubicle next door to a female, but the walls were full length, so privacy was preserved. If this system was good enough 50 years ago, it should be good enough now...

^^ exactly.

This is debated like the solution needs to be either / or.... its not rocket science to just cater for all. Add options. People simply want to choose according to their situation and their preference. "

Thats easier said than done. Lots of clubs, gyms etc just wont have the room or resources to fit out their places like this.

Theyve traded upto now with a womans changing room and a mans changing room, why should they now have to cater to all this just because people are deciding to identify as the opposite sex?

Manchester (she/her)

The very first swimming baths that I went to, when I was a kid, had private cubicles all along both of the long sides of the pool. There were no gender segregated changing areas, everyone just used a private cubicle. A male could use a cubicle next door to a female, but the walls were full length, so privacy was preserved. If this system was good enough 50 years ago, it should be good enough now..."

That's far too sensible. Cut the culture warriors off at the knees and let people get on with it.

It'll never be allowed, there's huge money in making people angry and hate each other.

By *itonthesideWoman  over a year ago

Glasgow

^^ exactly.

This is debated like the solution needs to be either / or.... its not rocket science to just cater for all. Add options. People simply want to choose according to their situation and their preference.

Thats easier said than done. Lots of clubs, gyms etc just wont have the room or resources to fit out their places like this.

Theyve traded upto now with a womans changing room and a mans changing room, why should they now have to cater to all this just because people are deciding to identify as the opposite sex? "

I think this desire for privacy isn’t just a new thing or soley related to gender identity.

For years ive gone to gyms with a large communal changing room (im talking about female but assume male set up is similar) and maybe only 2 tiny private cubicles somewhere in the middle. The cubicles would be constantly full with others then waiting to use them. Lots of people just want privacy to change no matter even if its just their own gender around

North West

It would be nice if communal changing was returned to cubicles because it might stop people from occupying the disabled changing room (usually just the one exists) when they don't need it. Sometimes, disabled changing is the only private space, depending on the facilities. It would also be nice if more than one disabled changing room was made available - so many times I've sat freezing my tits off, soaking my wheelchair cushion through, waiting for the one changing room.

Dublin

^^ exactly.

Theyve traded upto now with a womans changing room and a mans changing room, why should they now have to cater to all this just because people are deciding to identify as the opposite sex?

I think this desire for privacy isn’t just a new thing or soley related to gender identity.

For years ive gone to gyms with a large communal changing room (im talking about female but assume male set up is similar) and maybe only 2 tiny private cubicles somewhere in the middle. The cubicles would be constantly full with others then waiting to use them. Lots of people just want privacy to change no matter even if its just their own gender around"

Yes they do, but currently a place can trade if can at least provide communal male and communal female facilities. Having to install cubicles for everyone just isnt going to be feasible

By *iren!Woman  over a year ago

leeds

As a woman I like to have my own space

It's a situation where no-one will be happy.

At the moment we have male and female changing areas, seperate.

However, we now have trans people or those wishing to identify as the opposite gender becoming more vocal about wanting to access changing areas of the gender they live/identify as.

There's a case to be made for allowing fully transitioned persons to access the facilities they want.

But, if you are TV or merely identify as the opposite sex, in my opinion, things stay the way they are. Penis in the male changing area, vagina in the female changing area.

Non gender specific is a different problem entirely.

By *penbicoupleCouple  over a year ago

Northampton

My favourite example of genre bending is the film 'Hero' with Jet Li. Talk about subverting a genre!

I would feel incredibly uncomfortable sharing a changing room with men - in my old gym there were 4 individual cubicles (teeny) in addition to the three communal changing rooms

I don't even like using the one with the kids in, but thsts mostly because they are irritating

Take carers for example.

With regards to your examples, I think all men seem to be regarded as potential or actual perverts, so it won't ever happen.

I’m a care manager and that’s not strictly true. People are asked if they would prefer a carer of the same gender or if they don’t mind.

MOST men don’t mind, MOST women seem to prefer a female carer.

But all are offered the option. It comes under safeguarding. A care company forcing a resident to accept a male or female carer for personal care when they have specifically requested the other is seen as sexual abuse and CQC would not look kindly on it. "

By *ayna20Couple  over a year ago

Kent

[Removed by poster at 19/01/23 06:29:44]

By *ayna20Couple  over a year ago

Kent

"In lots of leisure centres, its shared changing rooms, with separate shower rooms. "

My local is communal showers too

Not naked obviously

By *atricia ParnelWoman  over a year ago

In a town full of colours

Yes I would be fine, but I am a naturist so am more used to being around naked strangers. I would however treat any inappropriate behaviour by anyone, like we do at the beach. With a few chosen words

By *lephantisMan  over a year ago

Oxford

Genre rules have been blurred for ages, OP. Is Frankenstein horror, SF, fantasy? Romantic comedy has been around since at least Jane Austen. King Lear's official title is 'The tragicall Historie'. I might go on...

Aristotle would disagree, the silly goat-bothering old pedant, but I think genre-blurring is here to stay, and I for one welcome it and its Rabelaisian, carnivalesque riot of blended tropes.

By *red333Man  over a year ago

Dorchester

I used to be a member of a gym that had mixed changing rooms it worked there but always somebody who oversteps the mark I'm afraid, so not a great idea, in fact the new owners abolished it, seperate changing rooms.

^^ exactly.

For years ive gone to gyms with a large communal changing room (im talking about female but assume male set up is similar) and maybe only 2 tiny private cubicles somewhere in the middle. The cubicles would be constantly full with others then waiting to use them. Lots of people just want privacy to change no matter even if its just their own gender around"

"I think everyone thinks this thread is about gender

It’s about genre dammit/

I feel Die Hard movie blurred the genre of a Xmas movie ."

As did Fatman (Mel Gibson) I was surprised by how much I enjoyed it to be honest.

I don't think this has anything to do with gender blurring.

It's about our societal view of nudity, sex and vulnerability.

We fear that of its mixed men will perv and kids will be at risk. That's on us. And men fear they will be accused. That's on all of us.

And it's on all of us that we feel we can't shut down the exceptions.

For me, it's telling that we can't be naked in a group without sexualisation. That's sad imo.

» Add a new message to this topic