FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Wild camping/photography wales

Wild camping/photography wales

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *heirry84 OP   Man  over a year ago

Midlands

Hey all,

So after moving from the city to a more rural area I've found a love for wild camping. This is mainly due to me being a photographer and found it's a very good way to get sunrise or sunset shots and find hidden locations.

So, my question is are there any locations in wales people would recommend? Are there any folk who would be up for exploring as a group? Not really interested in playing, more to meet like minded people who enjoy similar activities.

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *hromosexualsCouple  over a year ago

Near Abercynon

It depends on which part of Wales. We work (and so mostly live) in South Wales and are still blown away by the beauty of the Brecon Beacons.

Midlands

"It depends on which part of Wales. We work (and so mostly live) in South Wales and are still blown away by the beauty of the Brecon Beacons."

Yeah i love the beacons and I'm right in the middle of it. It's where I've explored most and like you have found it to be stunning. Was saying all of Wales because after exploring a bit of Pembrokeshire and Snowdonia I realised there's so much beauty to see in rural Wales. Plus I'm hoping to get some advice off locals as all the best advice I've got on South Wales has come from people in my town who grew up here

By *rHotNottsMan  over a year ago

Dubai & Nottingham

I would highly recommend Cadair iris summit in winter, this time of year is perfect. The best sunsets and sunrises I’ve ever shot , I’m gutted I fiddly take full frame up and a proper manfrotto geared head but I was limiting weight.

You will need snow spikes , and an ice pick just to be safe, there’s some steep drop offs but with a decent head torch it’s very safe to climb

It can get cold -10 to -20 in wind but you will not be disappointed . There is a little cave thing to sleep if if you don't carry wind protection. I just used single hoop bivi, thermorest & 4 season bag and was fine at minus 14

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Bala

Midlands

"I would highly recommend Cadair iris summit in winter, this time of year is perfect. The best sunsets and sunrises I’ve ever shot , I’m gutted I fiddly take full frame up and a proper manfrotto geared head but I was limiting weight.

You will need snow spikes , and an ice pick just to be safe, there’s some steep drop offs but with a decent head torch it’s very safe to climb

It can get cold -10 to -20 in wind but you will not be disappointed . There is a little cave thing to sleep if if you don't carry wind protection. I just used single hoop bivi, thermorest & 4 season bag and was fine at minus 14

"

That view does looks amazing! Thanks for sharing! Not sure I would want to be climbing to summits needing spikes with all my kit though. I primarily shoot on a pentax 67ii and looking to buy a large format for landscapes so my camera bag in itself is heavy as.

Plus, I hate the cold and even though I have the kit to brave it, I much prefer to shoot during spring and summer time

Midlands

"Bala "

Thanks very much! It does look lovely! Definitely somewhere I'd like to shoot

By *rivateshooter2Man  over a year ago

Stoke

If you don't want a heart-pounding treck, then try Merthy Campsite nr Harlech for stunning views of Snowdon Range and the LLeyn. Also very handy for naughtiness in the dunes at Morffa Duffryn !

By *iscean_dreamMan  over a year ago

Port talbot

If you follow the river Neath there's some really nice spots for photos, it's where I take most of my nature shots

By *elisandre300Woman  over a year ago

dontbefuckingnosey

"I would highly recommend Cadair iris summit in winter, this time of year is perfect. The best sunsets and sunrises I’ve ever shot , I’m gutted I fiddly take full frame up and a proper manfrotto geared head but I was limiting weight.

"

I can agree with this.

I live a few miles away from Cadair, regularly walk to the peak with my brother and it’s glorious any time of the year.

But taken many photos… usually just with my phone… but the walk up and surrounding area is beautiful… but I am biased too as it’s my home

By *idnight RamblerMan  over a year ago

Pershore

There is a Shangri-la valley South of Hay-on-Wye, with LLanthony Abbey in it. Farmers are happy with wild camping, but get permission first. It follows the course of Offa's Dyke and is the setting of the superb book On the Black Hill by Bruce Chatwin.

Midlands

"If you don't want a heart-pounding treck, then try Merthy Campsite nr Harlech for stunning views of Snowdon Range and the LLeyn. Also very handy for naughtiness in the dunes at Morffa Duffryn !"

Thanks very much. Not heard of either so will add to the list

Midlands

"If you follow the river Neath there's some really nice spots for photos, it's where I take most of my nature shots "

Ahh OK excellent! That runs from near me to Swansea so definitely accessible. Looks bloody long though... Will need the bike for this one

Midlands

"There is a Shangri-la valley South of Hay-on-Wye, with LLanthony Abbey in it. Farmers are happy with wild camping, but get permission first. It follows the course of Offa's Dyke and is the setting of the superb book On the Black Hill by Bruce Chatwin. "

Another one that's close. Always go the other way into the beacons so would make a change to go hay way instead.

Thanks a lot!

Midlands

I can agree with this.

I live a few miles away from Cadair, regularly walk to the peak with my brother and it’s glorious any time of the year.

But taken many photos… usually just with my phone… but the walk up and surrounding area is beautiful… but I am biased too as it’s my home "

OK will have to check this one then. The cold did put me off but guess there are some places where the uncomfortableness is outdone by the beauty

By *iscean_dreamMan  over a year ago

Port talbot

"If you follow the river Neath there's some really nice spots for photos, it's where I take most of my nature shots

Ahh OK excellent! That runs from near me to Swansea so definitely accessible. Looks bloody long though... Will need the bike for this one

"

31km so yes bike if you wanted to go along the whole thing in one go

» Add a new message to this topic