FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Swining etymology

Swining etymology

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *icketysplits OP   Woman  over a year ago

Way over Yonder, that's where I'm bound

Why is it called swinging?

I'm just getting used to some of the terms used but every other post throws up a new one.

What are the origins of these terms?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

God lord! Swinging etymology. Not swining. If there is swining I'm not sure I want to know about it.

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman  over a year ago

King's Crustacean

Oink ..... soooooooo eeeeeeeee pig pig pig pig !

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

"Oink ..... soooooooo eeeeeeeee pig pig pig pig !"

Granny Dolittle.

"Oink ..... soooooooo eeeeeeeee pig pig pig pig !"

You swine. I'd better eat some lunch and get my spelling back into gear. Sausages anyone?

By *issHottieBottieWoman  over a year ago

Kent

I think it's just a thing that went back to the swinging sixties when people were more sexually liberated x

Isn't it because you swing from sexual partner to another ?

"Isn't it because you swing from sexual partner to another ? "

I might drive between them but I'm not on a trapeze.

"I think it's just a thing that went back to the swinging sixties when people were more sexually liberated x "

Maybe.

"Isn't it because you swing from sexual partner to another ?

I might drive between them but I'm not on a trapeze."

Swing as in go back and forth.

Maybe back in the day it was prudent to use a simple word which also had socially acceptable connotations too……

after-all, I don’t think all hospitals were fully equipped to cope with a raised eyebrow pandemic back then……

"Isn't it because you swing from sexual partner to another ?

I might drive between them but I'm not on a trapeze.

Swing as in go back and forth. "

I get that.

"Maybe back in the day it was prudent to use a simple word which also had socially acceptable connotations too……

after-all, I don’t think all hospitals were fully equipped to cope with a raised eyebrow pandemic back then…… "

I had raised eyebrows when I used the term recently. So everyone was just dancing to a type of music back then.

It goes back to American Air force bases, and there was so much hanky panky going on with wives while husbands were away etc etc, that the phrase was the backdoors were being used so much they were always swinging....

Hence....

By *isscheekychopsWoman  over a year ago

The land of grey peas and bacon

"It goes back to American Air force bases, and there was so much hanky panky going on with wives while husbands were away etc etc, that the phrase was the backdoors were being used so much they were always swinging....

Hence....

"

What just the AF....

"Maybe back in the day it was prudent to use a simple word which also had socially acceptable connotations too……

after-all, I don’t think all hospitals were fully equipped to cope with a raised eyebrow pandemic back then……

I had raised eyebrows when I used the term recently. So everyone was just dancing to a type of music back then."

Yes back in the day, every women wore stocking and spoke like the queen and every man used brylcreem to tame his unruly pubes......

"It goes back to American Air force bases, and there was so much hanky panky going on with wives while husbands were away etc etc, that the phrase was the backdoors were being used so much they were always swinging....

Hence....

"

I assume you mean the wooden back door ?

That one makes sense too.

I had raised eyebrows when I used the term recently. So everyone was just dancing to a type of music back then.

Yes back in the day, every women wore stocking and spoke like the queen and every man used brylcreem to tame his unruly pubes...... "

Is that what the Brylcreem bounce was about? Now I know why my father got through so much Brylcreem.

By *issHottieBottieWoman  over a year ago

Kent

I've just read another airforce related thing that apparently so many service men were away/bring killed/going missing that the available men were required to look after the wives emotionally and sexually!

But it looks like similar practices were documented centuries ago, no mention of where the actual word came from tho x

By *atasha_DavidCouple  over a year ago

Slough

It appears to be black slang from the southern states of america, circa 1920, meaning what today would equate to cool, fashionable, sexy. Possibly also used as a euphemism for fucking but no specific references quoted. It was also associated with swing music often big band dance music which was freer, less inhibited and hence more sexual than the restrained white jazz and formal dance music.

Frank Sinatra et al from the Rat Pack were seen as cool swinging cats lol The American cultural invasion of British youth culture created by the presence of American servicemen, including black soldiers who would have been a rare sight in many UK communities at that time would have seen the term introduced over here.

A morphing of the term seems to have occurred during the sixties to apply it to anybody who was actively fashionable and different including being sexually liberated i.e. multi-party and non heterosexual sex.

And it has been with us ever since

"It appears to be black slang from the southern states of america, circa 1920, meaning what today would equate to cool, fashionable, sexy. Possibly also used as a euphemism for fucking but no specific references quoted. It was also associated with swing music often big band dance music which was freer, less inhibited and hence more sexual than the restrained white jazz and formal dance music.

Frank Sinatra et al from the Rat Pack were seen as cool swinging cats lol The American cultural invasion of British youth culture created by the presence of American servicemen, including black soldiers who would have been a rare sight in many UK communities at that time would have seen the term introduced over here.

A morphing of the term seems to have occurred during the sixties to apply it to anybody who was actively fashionable and different including being sexually liberated i.e. multi-party and non heterosexual sex.

And it has been with us ever since

"

Cool!

By *eakcoupleCouple  over a year ago

peak district

We thought it referred to the swinging 60s when 'free love' hippy communes started up in California. Obviously, people have been doing this since humanity began and there's evidence it was quite normal in Pagan cultures before xtianity came along to make everyone feel guilty. When we both had our first group experiences in the early 70s nobody thought of it as 'swinging' just fun sex.

Interesting quote...

According to Terry Gould's The Lifestyle: a look at the erotic rites of swingers, swinging began among American Air Force pilots and their wives during World War II. The mortality rate of pilots was high, so, as Gould reports, a close bond arose between pilots that implied that pilot husbands would care for all the wives as their own—emotionally and sexually—if the husbands were away or lost. Though the origins of swinging are contested, it is assumed American swinging was practiced in some American military communities in the 1950s. By the time the Korean War ended, swinging had spread from the military to the suburbs. The media dubbed the phenomenon wife-swapping

» Add a new message to this topic