FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Night terrors

Night terrors

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *ruit OP   Woman  over a year ago

near kings lynn

My little one just had a bad episode of panic with being scared panic walking around and trying to get out the front door.

Only lasted about 4 mins but still horrible.

Now he is sleeping but I am tired awake.

Anyone else got experience of this....advice please.

Fruit (watching son sleep!)

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *londeCazWoman  over a year ago

Arse End of the Universe, Cumbria

I've had night terrors/sleep paralysis since I was reasonably young but don't get them much any more. There's a lot of info online, just google night terrors and follow the links from there...I only look for adults so not sure about youngsters but sure there'll be some info. Give him a good cuddle, that will help xxx

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

sadly ive not experienced this, however my 3yr old is petrified of the dark having always slept in the dark ever since she was a baby. She changed suddenly a few weeks back and now falls asleep with a dimmed light on.

No idea what brought it on

Hope your son can get some sleep and isnt too distressed

give them some whiskey.

soon back to sleep

that must have been upsetting for you. I can't offer any advice i'm afraid, but i hope he gets a good nites sleep now!

Poor pet

My young un went through a phase of this and really i don't think there's anything much you can do

I know how scary it is to witness it but all you can do is make sure the area where the little one sleeps is safe and secure and can do him/her no harm...doors and windows locked etc..

Never wake them up,just do your best to make sure they are ok and gently guide them back to bed... My lad never remembered it and when i used to say it to him the next morning he looked at me like i had 2 heads! Lol

Be patient he/she will grow out of it in time.

Hey Hun, stress is a big cause of night terrors . They are horrid things I know I suffer from them, from time to time. If something happens I guess I can't handle in the real world. Mine started when I was having ivf then when things got bad with my ex hubby, at times he has shaken me to wake me out of it!! It got so bad at one point I had a panic attack in my sleep. Not had one in a couple of years until last month and I seem to be getting them most nights again. Best thing to do is maybe sit him down ask him if things are upsetting him etc children are so honest about stuff like that. Mine all boiled down to my patents breaking up and the feeling of rejection and let down. I hope he's ok and you are xxx

By *horstrollMan  over a year ago

Caprona

Still get them, thankfully they are rare now.

near kings lynn

Cant sleep now as listening to him breathe/smore.

Bad spelling...tired eyes. Stressed mummy.

Its the worry of him trying to get out the door. Going thru what ifs I know isnt going to help me really.

Back in the internet tomorrow I think for morereading.

By *empting Devil.Woman  over a year ago

Sheffield

I suffer from night terrors.

The scariest thing is that you wake up still in the dream.

So don't try to wake your little one, just be there when they wake and be reassuring and calm and let them know it was just a vivid dream.

Oh, and if they want to check under the bed or behind doors let them - the dream is still very real so if it involves something hiding or in their space then seeing that it's not there will help.

Most children grow out of this. It may occur a lot when routines are different or when something has changed or caused some stress. Or even if there are things which disturb sleep like windy nights or noisy neighbours or hard to digest food.

Above all don't worry, it looks scary but it's just that the part of sleep that keeps you still isn't working so you act out whatever you're dreaming. In fact the worse night terrors are the other way around: the part of sleep that keeps you still keeps working even though you're practically awake and you have a bad dream that seems real but can't even move a finger!

And in the daylight it all pales away and is forgotten.

near kings lynn

Pray he grows out of it.

Ok gonna try sleep now.

More research in the morning I guess.

Thanks all x

By *londeCazWoman  over a year ago

Arse End of the Universe, Cumbria

"Cant sleep now as listening to him breathe/smore.

Bad spelling...tired eyes. Stressed mummy.

Its the worry of him trying to get out the door. Going thru what ifs I know isnt going to help me really.

Back in the internet tomorrow I think for morereading."

Can you lock external doors and take keys to bed???? My terrors never took me out of bed (least I don't think so). Is it worth kipping in with him so's you'd hopefully wake if he moved too much? Hope you both get some sleep tonight xxx

By *empting Devil.Woman  over a year ago

Sheffield

"Pray he grows out of it.

Ok gonna try sleep now.

Thanks all x"

I didn't get them as a child!

As others have said just secure doors and windows and keep the keys out of the door.

near kings lynn

He is asleep just a metre away from me. Stopped snoring for a bit too.

Key out of door tho x

By *ll-Knight-longMan  over a year ago

Derby/Notts(Long Eaton)

"Poor pet

My young un went through a phase of this and really i don't think there's anything much you can do

I know how scary it is to witness it but all you can do is make sure the area where the little one sleeps is safe and secure and can do him/her no harm...doors and windows locked etc..

Never wake them up,just do your best to make sure they are ok and gently guide them back to bed... My lad never remembered it and when i used to say it to him the next morning he looked at me like i had 2 heads! Lol

Be patient he/she will grow out of it in time."

my daughter was the same never remembered a thing in the morning and grew out of it ....normally when she was excited or anxious just talk to them and guide them back to bed....a bolt at the top of doors is a good thing too and don't worry too much it's quite common

I've had them, although I wasn't able to get out of bed. I am pinned down by some strange force, and what I can only describe as "demons" swirl around above me. My ex had a son who used to have these walking panics you describe, when he was about 6 or 7. I witnessed them. I have a son with her and I know her other boy, who is 12 or 13 now, no longer has these night traumas, cos I asked her about them.

Try not to worry too much, it's not that unusual, secure the front door and have a gentle chat about it in the morning over the Weetabix and see if he remembers anything about it. Reassure him that you're there and that everything is o.k.

near kings lynn

Little one fine this morning as normal so just hope we dont have any more for a while.

Fruit x

By *issHottieBottieWoman  over a year ago

Kent

"Pray he grows out of it.

Ok gonna try sleep now.

Thanks all x"

Night terrors unlike nightmares aren't remembered in the morning that's the big difference, my son had a spell and I spoke to a sleep clinic for advice as it frightened the life out of me, even if they appear to be awake and are screaming/thrashing around the likelihood is they aren't, just be there to ensure they can't hurt themselves, I had to pick my son out of his cot and just hold him till he calmed down. Eventually they should just come out of it and probably won't even wake up. It's more scary for you than them as they won't remember it the next day, nightmares are different as they can be caused by fear. Being overtired can contribute to night terrors so try to make sure they have a nap in the day if needed or early to bed xxx

By *aris23Woman  over a year ago

France

Fruit - I have PM'd you as my reply is too long for the forum.

By *riskynriskyCouple  over a year ago

Essex.

Two of ours have had them... Eyes wide open screaming for mummy whilst fighting her off. Really horrible, but ours have grown out of them. They didn't last long, but what we did notice was they were very very hot and sweaty. Now that may of been due to the terrors or maybe the overheating caused the night terrors. Maybe something to think about...

Best of luck and stay strong FnR xx

By *innamon!Woman  over a year ago

no matter

Monitor his TV viewing more carefully.. Even cartoons can be scary . This is usually the cause of bad dreams.

near kings lynn

He doesnt watch tv late (he is 7) and nothing unsuitable. When he has his night tertors he isnt too hot or anything.

Thanks for the pm. Going to go back to the doctors to discuss this more.

There seems to be more to it as he also has panic attacks and goes unconcious briefly so being seen by a peaditrition for that but mum mentioned the snoring sleep walking and night terrors.

Waiting to hear more but eeg and ecg all cane back clear.

My cousin has also had epilepsy bad and all the night terrors etc really bad and is in her 40s. So its passed through the family.

See what happens ne t.

Fruit

By *innamon!Woman  over a year ago

no matter

I knew he was young.. not only evening TV that can scare someone.. Even the news can be scary cartoon books and films also..

Looks like he has got issues tho certainly if there is epilepsy in the family.

near kings lynn

I am careful with him not watching the news or anything x

We do have it in the family but so scary when its my child. Just dont want his to be as bad as my cousins tho x

By *ursevampsWoman  over a year ago

bucks

my son get this not oftern he wil come in and start to pee any where in the house as soon as you touch him he screams the place down i have inadvertanty woken him up once never again he freaked out and went in a fit now i just getly talk to ham and grab a bucket i keep handy just in case as when he does ge tin one im reppared but i can hea rhim open his bedroom door when he goes it could be somethign worrying him silly i know but when my beast upset over somethign i know he wil have a episode

near kings lynn

Night terror again just now. Never had 2 nights in a row

» Add a new message to this topic