FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Harry potter or lord of the rings?

Harry potter or lord of the rings?

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

Now I'm a big fan of both but hands down Harry potter wins every time. Just wondering what other people think?

This isn't ment as a thread to slag off J.K just to air options of which you prefer and why

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *ickshawedCouple  over a year ago

Wolverhampton

Do you mean the books or the films?

By *ixie BeanMan  over a year ago

Wallasey

Harry potter and the wizarding world is nowhere near as complex or intricate as middle earth..in fact I'd say it's not even as complex as the hobbit alone . J r r Tolkien was levels above Rowling ...

He spoke more languages than she's wrote books

By *bi HaiveMan  over a year ago
Forum Mod

Cheeseville, Somerset

My favourite bit in Harry Potter is when Gandalf dies.

A

By *rettyflamingoCouple  over a year ago

Where the flamboyance of flamingos live

Never got Harry Potter and I don’t rate the author with any talent. JRR Tolkien on the other hand a genius . Love Lord of them rings.

Both really because each has the pros and cons

I can completely agree with this but as a kid I dreamed that letter would drop on my doormat

Wallasey

"Both really because each has the pros and cons "

Movies don't compare either .

Peter Jackson made a trilogy that won't ever be surpassed to me .

By *gent CoulsonMan  over a year ago

Secret hideaway in the pennines

Film and book wise Lord of the rings all day long

I feel the fellowship was pure genius and the others never lived up

By *..ranger5891Man  over a year ago

London

Shit or shit

What's your fandom?

Wolverhampton

Film wise it's LOTR. Those films are beautifully done. Plus I hate the Harry Potter films. I watched the first couple and gave up. The acting was bad and they missed out too much of the books.

Book wise it's trickier to say. LOTR is an epic story, but Harry Potter is so easy to read and want to keep reading. It's a really good story, even if the writing isn't always brilliant.

Wolverhampton

Oh, and OP, press reply + quote so we know who you're replying to

"Oh, and OP, press reply + quote so we know who you're replying to "

Thank you! Surprisingly never seen that before

Wallasey

If go as far as saying that if not for the creation of middle earth ..fantasy stories like harry potter wouldn't even exist ... Late 19 century early twentieth century Britain helped produce some of the forerunners and greatest fantasy authors of all time

Rudyard Kipling

George Orwell

J.r.r Tolkien

C.s Lewis

Lewis carol

Mind-blowing. Given the size of our homeland ..Britain has produced some of the most elite, best selling authors ever.

By *adMerWoman  over a year ago

Sandwich

I adore Harry Potter, but they really don’t compare with Tolkien. Or CS Lewis for that matter.

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

At my age we just get to Potter Ring

"If go as far as saying that if not for the creation of middle earth ..fantasy stories like harry potter wouldn't even exist ... Late 19 century early twentieth century Britain helped produce some of the forerunners and greatest fantasy authors of all time

Rudyard Kipling

George Orwell

J.r.r Tolkien

C.s Lewis

Lewis carol

Mind-blowing. Given the size of our homeland ..Britain has produced some of the most elite, best selling authors ever.

"

I do love C.s Lewis and Lewis carol can't lie

I am an absolute Potter head, just finished my Burrows tattoo today! The books will always be superior t9 the films but both got me through a really difficult time in my life and therefore hold a special place in my heart.

I love LOTR too, visually stunning and an epic bit of storytelling.

By *J GeminiTV/TS  over a year ago

Northumberland

Big Lord of the rings fan. Recorded the radio series when it first broadcast, now got it on CD.

Loved the books and thought the films were great.

Be careful though, the radio play and films are not true to the books, close but not strictly true,

Xx

"I am an absolute Potter head, just finished my Burrows tattoo today! The books will always be superior t9 the films but both got me through a really difficult time in my life and therefore hold a special place in my heart.

I love LOTR too, visually stunning and an epic bit of storytelling. "

Couldn't agree more

Wallasey

"If go as far as saying that if not for the creation of middle earth ..fantasy stories like harry potter wouldn't even exist ... Late 19 century early twentieth century Britain helped produce some of the forerunners and greatest fantasy authors of all time

Rudyard Kipling

George Orwell

J.r.r Tolkien

C.s Lewis

Lewis carol

I do love C.s Lewis and Lewis carol can't lie"

Considering how small population wise we are , I'd be interested to know who has sold more copies of their books .English authors or American authors ... We definitely have some bigger names but they have some masters of the craft too

Stephen king especially ..the man writes about seven books in a morning

Harry Potter is just Star Wars with wands.

Important orphan is hidden by bearded gent so evil forces won't find him. Grows up not knowing he's important but wishing he was.vAh, but his adopted parents totally know his secret, the swines! Old friends of his real parents come to help him find his destiny. Meets female companion on the way who's way more badass than him, you think she'll hook up with him but she gets with his funny mate instead.

Orphan meets up with the old bearded gent who becomes his father figure and helps him learn the ways of ancient magic with big wands. Orphan finds he has a natural gift for important things despite no training. Bearded father figure faces down bad guy in a battle of red and blue lasers. Father figure is killed, but it's for the greater good.

Orphan finds out baddy has a personal connection with him. Orphan faces big, electric-firing baddy in hand-to-hand combat - he wins, and everyone is happy.

By *aitonelMan  over a year ago

Liverpool

They are two completely different writing styles and while both fantasy, within that two very different sub genres and audiences.

Both shine in their own domains. Tolkien lived for literature and languages.

Rowling not so much.

The Hobbit written as nothing more than a story for his own children which evolved in to an entire world, language and beyond.

Potter was born while waiting for a delayed train,which evolved in to a very good story that allowed its original target audience (8 year old or so) to grow with the story and characters - it got darker and more mature as it went on.

The mythos for the wizarding world is also mostly expanded very much hollywoodised at this point. Warner Bro's do the majority of world building now and its poor. The books themselves are very good, though run the issues of just having wtf moments in terms of coexisting with "muggle world", made even worse by the movies themselves (especially the fantastic beasts stuff).

Very few, if any, books/literary worlds will ever come close to competing with Tolkien and Middle Earth.

Rudyard Kipling

George Orwell

J.r.r Tolkien

C.s Lewis

Lewis carol

Considering how small population wise we are , I'd be interested to know who has sold more copies of their books .English authors or American authors ... We definitely have some bigger names but they have some masters of the craft too

Stephen king especially ..the man writes about seven books in a morning "

not a big fan of alot of America authors, Stephan king is good but his books are kinda boring these days

By *itonthesideWoman  over a year ago

Glasgow

"I feel the fellowship was pure genius and the others never lived up"

Agree with this

But i could choose between HP or LOTR … live them both in different ways for different reasons … besides you van never have too many fantasy worlds to lose and afternoon in

I love all the opinions im getting guys thanks

Liverpool

"I feel the fellowship was pure genius and the others never lived up"

And yet Two Towers is by far the best of the trilogy.

Glasgow

"I feel the fellowship was pure genius and the others never lived up

Agree with this

But i could choose between HP or LOTR … live them both in different ways for different reasons … besides you van never have too many fantasy worlds to lose and afternoon in "

*couldn’t

Glasgow

And yet Two Towers is by far the best of the trilogy. "

See it i had a gun to my head to let one go entirely it would be two towers. As someone who is there for the fantasy with a bit of battle, it felt more like a war movie with some fantasy characters to me

LOTR, no question about it

Wallasey

"They are two completely different writing styles and while both fantasy, within that two very different sub genres and audiences.

Very few, if any, books/literary worlds will ever come close to competing with Tolkien and Middle Earth. "

The silmarillion is almost biblical ..canon ..to some it is akin to a religion. there really is not alot that can compare to middle earth.

You write well and explained that in a way I'd never contemplated ..I have to give more credit to Rowling as she did certainly darken her topics with the aging of her target audience and that's obviously very smart, however I just feel that the majority of written techniques that rowling employed were all adapted from Tolkien with no exceptions . .the reluctant hero , the old man/wizard representing ultimate good and omnipotence/omniscience..the death of said character..

These types of plot devices didn't exist in literature prior to Tolkien .except in the holy texts they'd never been conceived or utilised by writers before and then all of a sudden in a short space of time we have authors using them everywhere .such was Tolkien's prowess

"Harry potter and the wizarding world is nowhere near as complex or intricate as middle earth..in fact I'd say it's not even as complex as the hobbit alone . J r r Tolkien was levels above Rowling ...

He spoke more languages than she's wrote books "

In terms of creating a whole new world, full of intricacies and complexities, George R R Martin's mind is brilliant too. The way all of his plot lines intertwined, across a while world of different cultures and languages., And the way he develops his characters is superb.

It's just a shame he's a truly awful writer. Some of the wording he uses,to the way he structures sentences etc.....just awful. If he could write as well as he can think, he'd be right up there

By *alandNitaCouple  over a year ago

Scunthorpe

I enjoy them both, but comparing them is like comparing a Ferarri and a bag of Mini Cheddars

Cal

Wallasey

Rudyard Kipling

George Orwell

J.r.r Tolkien

C.s Lewis

Lewis carol

Stephen king especially ..the man writes about seven books in a morning not a big fan of alot of America authors, Stephan king is good but his books are kinda boring these days "

His horror stuff is relatively dull now adays . But the tower series was excellent fantasy and obviously classics like stand by me show how versatile and broad his penmanship was.

By *mateur100Man  over a year ago

nr faversham

Lord of the rings

Glasgow

"They are two completely different writing styles and while both fantasy, within that two very different sub genres and audiences.

Very few, if any, books/literary worlds will ever come close to competing with Tolkien and Middle Earth.

The silmarillion is almost biblical ..canon ..to some it is akin to a religion. there really is not alot that can compare to middle earth.

You write well and explained that in a way I'd never contemplated ..I have to give more credit to Rowling as she did certainly darken her topics with the aging of her target audience and that's obviously very smart, however I just feel that the majority of written techniques that rowling employed were all adapted from Tolkien with no exceptions . .the reluctant hero , the old man/wizard representing ultimate good and omnipotence/omniscience..the death of said character..

These types of plot devices didn't exist in literature prior to Tolkien .except in the holy texts they'd never been conceived or utilised by writers before and then all of a sudden in a short space of time we have authors using them everywhere .such was Tolkien's prowess "

Do you really think Dumbledore represented ultimate good? I think by the end he was exposed as planning to sacrifice Harry for the greater good. And the Ariana backstory and extra wizarding world stories about him and grindlewald show him as pretty flawed

By *obajxMan  over a year ago

Cheshire

LOTR is crap

David Moyes lookalike whinging and running round after a brass hoop

By *wisted999Man  over a year ago

North Bucks

LOTR for me. In books and film.

God that Amazon series was shite though.

Wallasey

None of the movies are better than the other and only an absolute scoundrel would dare to watch them separately..what heathen would do this ???.. one day a year must be set aside for a film binge festival of appreciation ??

LOTR for me. I grew up reading all 7 of the Narnia books over and over. I enjoyed HP, but CS Lewis and Tolkien books have more depth.

Liverpool

And yet Two Towers is by far the best of the trilogy.

See it i had a gun to my head to let one go entirely it would be two towers. As someone who is there for the fantasy with a bit of battle, it felt more like a war movie with some fantasy characters to me "

Return of the king would go for me, and I absolutely love (favourite movie scene ever) Ride of the Rohirrim. However the use of the army of the dead... Shit all over the movie, pushing it to 3rd place for me. It was pure Hollywood inspired shite (the army as a device, not the movie) in an otherwise great movie.

By *isaB45Woman  over a year ago

Fabville

Harry Potter was great to get a young generation into reading, particularly boys. It was relatable due to its modern setting.

However, Lord of the Rings (which must always include The Hobbit) was far more complex, and the characters were richer.

I am currently re-reading The Hobbit - the very copy that I was given as a child. There's something very special about the brown and musty pages..

Never seen any of them

By *bi HaiveMan  over a year ago
Forum Mod

Cheeseville, Somerset

"Harry Potter is just Star Wars with wands.

Important orphan is hidden by bearded gent so evil forces won't find him. Grows up not knowing he's important but wishing he was.vAh, but his adopted parents totally know his secret, the swines! Old friends of his real parents come to help him find his destiny. Meets female companion on the way who's way more badass than him, you think she'll hook up with him but she gets with his funny mate instead.

Orphan meets up with the old bearded gent who becomes his father figure and helps him learn the ways of ancient magic with big wands. Orphan finds he has a natural gift for important things despite no training. Bearded father figure faces down bad guy in a battle of red and blue lasers. Father figure is killed, but it's for the greater good.

Orphan finds out baddy has a personal connection with him. Orphan faces big, electric-firing baddy in hand-to-hand combat - he wins, and everyone is happy.

"

So Dobbie is R2D2 and Hagrid is Chewbacca?

Fucking hell. You're on to something here.........

A

Fabville

". one day a year must be set aside for a film binge festival of appreciation ??

"

Movie binge day... great idea for this miserable time of year!

Wallasey

These types of plot devices didn't exist in literature prior to Tolkien .except in the holy texts they'd never been conceived or utilised by writers before and then all of a sudden in a short space of time we have authors using them everywhere .such was Tolkien's prowess

Do you really think Dumbledore represented ultimate good? I think by the end he was exposed as planning to sacrifice Harry for the greater good. And the Ariana backstory and extra wizarding world stories about him and grindlewald show him as pretty flawed "

Maybe not ultimate good . But certainly good. A flawed hero so to speak but both gandalf and dunbledore sacrificed the main character for the greater good of humanity.

By *etcplCouple  over a year ago

Gapping Fanny

Hairy Rings?

Liverpool

"

To be fair though, there is far more complexity and additional plot points in the Harry Potter books than there is in not only the original trilogy but the prequel trilogy combined.

And I say that as a star wars nerd.

By *liceinwanderlust101Woman  over a year ago

Cambridge/London

HP

Fabville

" for the greater good of humanity.

"

The greater good..

Wallasey

"

Lotr predates them both mate . Tolkien didn't just inspire the genre . He basically invented it.. but the plot devices have been around since the days of god knows when ...they stem from Indian Vedas which probably stem from some other ancient texts and Greek mythologies and Roman deity's and all of those plot devices are all much older than star wars ..but every good story/novel/fantasy script uses them in some capacity .

Fabville

^^ and Norse mythology?

"Hairy Rings?"

LOL, as I found out earlier jokes in this thread don't work as we are amongst those who really care

Glasgow

"Hairy Rings?

LOL, as I found out earlier jokes in this thread don't work as we are amongst those who really care "

Yes you are deep in fantasy nerd territory here … us middle earthers and potter heads do tend to be pretty enthusiastic

Wallasey

The greater good.."

I apologise, i did not mean to discriminate against the races/sexes/genders of the "people's" of fantasy lands.. I guess even calling them people's would offend the ents ...poor guys .im Surprised there's no ents on here seeking a good moot off an ent wife

By *erces LetiferMan  over a year ago

Somewhere off the edge of the map... 'ere there be monsters

Books and Films it's The Lord of the Rings, easily. Harry Potter is great and all, but LotR is on an entirely different level.

A shame about The Hobbit movies. An even bigger shame about Rings of Power... oh well. At least we'll always have the books and Jackson's original LotR trilogy.

Fabville

The greater good..

I apologise, i did not mean to discriminate against the races/sexes/genders of the "people's" of fantasy lands.. I guess even calling them people's would offend the ents ...poor guys .im Surprised there's no ents on here seeking a good moot off an ent wife

"

Have you been drinking the Ent draughts again?!

"Hairy Rings?

LOL, as I found out earlier jokes in this thread don't work as we are amongst those who really care

Yes you are deep in fantasy nerd territory here … us middle earthers and potter heads do tend to be pretty enthusiastic "

Oh there's nothing better than enthusiasm. shame I'm too old for you as I enthusiastically like your profile

By *eroLondonMan  over a year ago

Mayfair

J.R.R. Tolkien. Every time.

His legendarium is unsurpassed.

LOTR - easy decision

By *agmattMan  over a year ago

Saffron Walden

LOTR by a country mile!