FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Guitar players

Guitar players

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

Any guitar players knocking about on here?

Been playing for a year or two and pretty much flatlined with progress. Any hint/tips?

Also what guitars have you got...

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

"Any guitar players knocking about on here?

Been playing for a year or two and pretty much flatlined with progress. Any hint/tips?

Also what guitars have you got... "

Yep, about 14 years!

As soon as you can play to an extent you're happy with and usually songs you like, you're fine!

Barre chords is the final 'i play guitar' challenge in my opinion. You can then learn crazy solos and sweep picking etc but only if you like that kinda stuff. I can't be assed and you have to rely on effects alot so that's that!

Played since I was about 13. I've had a few over the years, fave was definitely the BC Rich Warlock though

By *cott73Man  over a year ago

brighton

I know what you mean OP. But then, I think it's one of those skills you are constantly learning. I'm sure many playera ever really master it.

Yep, about 14 years!

As soon as you can play to an extent you're happy with and usually songs you like, you're fine!

Barre chords is the final 'i play guitar' challenge in my opinion. You can then learn crazy solos and sweep picking etc but only if you like that kinda stuff. I can't be assed and you have to rely on effects alot so that's that!"

Barre chords are a nightmare!

I can guitar happily play around to a few songs. Campfire guitarist is about my level at the minute haha

Thanks for the replies and appreciate your comments.

Guitarwise I have a Yamaha acoustic I've had since I was young, got a squire strat to jingle on and a gretsch semi hollow that hardly gets played but I love it although it needs setting up

By *ooliganMan  over a year ago

Preston

I have a couple of Les Pauls and a Telecaster. And a Gibson SJ200 acoustic.

I dabbled for years but I'm trying to take it a bit more seriously. I'm learning all the pentatonic positions at the moment - it's like clouds lifting when you realise that almost any tune you've ever heard falls into one of the 5 pent scale patterns.

I'm fine with barre chords so trying to learn the neck so I can play a bit more "by ear".

And I'm doing the daily "spider walk challenge" to get my dexterity improving.

My biggest challenge is finding the right songs to play that are challenging but without being too daunting - sounds daft but boy band stuff is great as it usually has a key change! So plenty of One D and 5SOS!

Wow that is some advanced stuff! Good on you getting that far. Must have took some time and patience

Preston

It's not as complicated as it first appears - just google the pentatonic positions and staet learning them as scales one at a time. Once you know the, ahem, fingering pattern, you can play that scale anywhere on the neck.

Search for the Spider Challenge - you're supposed to do it for 30 days to get your fingers moving independently, but I now use it as a warm-up - it's really helpful

By *iscean_dreamMan  over a year ago

Llanelli

I've been playing since I was 13, used to be much better than I am now but I have joint problems in my hand.

Only have my epiphone acoustic now but it's plenty good enough.

Playing with other people is my best suggestion if you have hit a wall and training your ear so can work out how to play things without needing to see the music/tab

By *rHotNottsMan  over a year ago

Dubai & Nottingham

I play bass , acoustic and a little bit of classical/ flamenco - all very badly.

Playing with others really speeds up learning , I practically learned to play bass by gigging in bars in my teens then again 20 years later . Also learning songs for others - my kids made me learn & teach them Taylor swift songs.

If you can’t join a band or start one, go to open Mic nights - be inspired by others . Good luck

By *ulieAndBeefCouple  over a year ago

Manchester-ish

I play guitar badly. Like Father Ted in the Song For Europe episode. Slightly better on bass. Have a v basic electric guitar, reasonable bass and Fender acoustic. The hub is better than me but we're very much enthusiastic beginners still!

By *EfellaMan  over a year ago

long eaton

Ive been scuffing away for about 8 years, talented is not a way to describe me, but i enjoy it anyway..

As others have said, learn your pentatonic patterns.

Look up what the CAGED system is.

These will with a lot of stuff.

Youtube is your friend, there are tons of lessons, tips, tutorials..

Depends where you are at, but i used to go to these guys..

Andy Guitar - brilliant for beginners.

Marty Schwartz or Justin Sandercoe - those 2 guys must have 1000 lessons between them..

Ive got a few guitars, most of them ornamental value, but my strat is this months go to..

Never give up..

By *odgerMooreMan  over a year ago

Carlisle

Playing over 40 years and you’re right it’s not something you ever finish learning lots of guitars - did it professionally for a long time

Been playing for 20 years now, and I definitely hit that same wall that you have. Just lots of practice on songs that you love to play, and you'll eventually overcome it! I've had a lot of guitars, but mostly sold all of my gear to fund my studies. I kept a Fender Jag-Stang though

Preston

"Youtube is your friend, there are tons of lessons, tips, tutorials..

"

This 100%... Justin Guitar is awesome - I'd advise any beginner to start with his free beginner course and just work through it. Intermediate players can learn an aweful lot from him by watching his song tutorials or advanced lessons.

And Paul Davids (my total man-crush!!) is fantastic and very engaging. His break-downs of complicated songs are excellent and will give you a newfound respect for the players and the music. His Fleetwood Mac's Impossible Song (Never Going Back Again) is wonderful.

By *eneralKenobiMan  over a year ago

North Angus

Been playing now over 20 years. Wouldn’t say I was great but I can handle my instrument (Giggity) I’ve 2 Epiphone Les Pauls, a PRS, a Stratocaster and a couple of other ones lying around and I also use Orange amps

Preston

I got a Spark amp recently - it's brilliant. Loads of training tools on the app, you can play any song from Youtube and it'll tell you the chords in real time.

Start jammin with others. They push you forward.

By *izzmasterzeroMan  over a year ago

Aberdeen

I've been playing since I was about 15, I rarely pick it up these days and when I do I just play the same old songs, it's difficult for me to get in the mood to actually learn something new. This year I plan to sell all my guitars and just have one electric and one acoustic... I'm thinking maybe a telecaster?

Try changing the type of songs youre playing, if you like indie,rock, classical etc try going out your comfort zone and learn something you dont normally listen to for example metal! Some crazy guitar riffs are found in metal!

By *arkandlovelyWoman  over a year ago

South Derbyshire

I'm learning (slowly and badly).

Played (slightly less slowly and badly) in my teens. It's nice getting back into it when time allows. Recently I acquired a Boss ME-80 pedal which has been a fun to tinker with and actually makes me sound almost like I know what I'm doing.

My friend has one of those pedals and the tones you can get out of them with a decent amp is insane

By *affeine DuskMan  over a year ago

Caerphilly

Yeah, since I was 10.

If you're hitting that wall, have a look at changing up your guitar, the feel of a different neck/fret/setup can work wonders.

Also grab a cheapo bass/uke from like a charity shop, same thing, it can respark you to think of things in a different way.

And if you're troubled about progression, I'd go grab a guitar mag that teaches you techniques, songs or even genres that you might not usually play. That naturally makes you start thinking and playing in a new way to add to your bow, so to speak.

"I'm learning (slowly and badly).

Played (slightly less slowly and badly) in my teens. It's nice getting back into it when time allows. Recently I acquired a Boss ME-80 pedal which has been a fun to tinker with and actually makes me sound almost like I know what I'm doing."

All the sexual fantasies about teaching you

Yep, about 14 years!

Barre chords is the final 'i play guitar' challenge in my opinion. You can then learn crazy solos and sweep picking etc but only if you like that kinda stuff. I can't be assed and you have to rely on effects alot so that's that!

Barre chords are a nightmare!

I can guitar happily play around to a few songs. Campfire guitarist is about my level at the minute haha "

You just need to get your fingers used to it! Just Barre and push down until you feel sheer pain but every string rings out. Then do it again and again.

Its actually easier than finger picking a bass. The amount of blisters I had from doing that. My fingers are like rocks from all the blisters healing over!

By *cott73Man  over a year ago

brighton

The other thing about guitar ownership is it doesn't matter how many picks you buy, you can never find one!

» Add a new message to this topic