FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > spelling test

spelling test

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *am123 OP   Man  over a year ago

essex chelmsford

why are some on here obsessed with spelling mistakes. i can spell but when your posting or messaging its not my top agenda to get right, its not a spelling bee ffs. does it really matter. thoughts!

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

It is important to me , I dislike bad spelling or grammar as it smacks of laziness to me .

Besides I profess to be a bit sticky at spelling sometimes and the spell checker sorts that or buggers it up completely !.

By *issHottieBottieWoman  over a year ago

Kent

I don't pay much attention to actual spelling in the forums. I do have a little mutter to myself over the their, they're, there thing and other similar ones but that's just me. Haha. Xx

I dont mind about spelling on here, its fun not an application form for a job!

The one thing I do hate is txt spk

By *kywatcherMan  over a year ago

Southwick

For me it is important to spell correctly and to be concise in my grammar. I do wince at poor spelling that completely changes what a poster is attempting to say. Everyone to their own though.

Although inwardly I may cringe a little at times, I have enough about me to realize I fall short in many things and would hate to be publicly humiliated over them... and I don't feel the need to do that to other people ...very often

By *Ryan-Man  over a year ago

In Your Bush

Spelling mistakes do not bother me it the poster has made an effort. You can't all be good at everything.

I find it more annoying, the people who can spell, that don't bother to read what they have written before hitting the post message button.

essex chelmsford

"I dont mind about spelling on here, its fun not an application form for a job!

The one thing I do hate is txt spk "

all good points, but tex speak then does it really matter, in the scheme of things. people are so quick to judge isn't this just meant to be a fun place to be, i know its a personal bug bare but is it really worth worrying about. behind the bad grammar u may find some wonderful people u never know

By *icketysplitsWoman  over a year ago

Way over Yonder, that's where I'm bound

"Spelling mistakes do not bother me it the poster has made an effort. You can't all be good at everything.

I find it more annoying, the people who can spell, that don't bother to read what they have written before hitting the post message button. "

There's no time to read the blather before hitting the post message button - someone might get there first.

By *ce WingerMan  over a year ago

P.O. Box DE1 0NQ

I like to spell correctly and punctuate properly, so I tend to proof read before I post. I have a dictionary at hand also which means I sometimes get sidetracked learning new words!

I don't mind if others can't spell but as someone else has stated, txt spk is awful, especially on a profile.

By *rightonsteveMan  over a year ago

Brighton - even Hove!

The one thing I do hate is txt spk "

Pmsl lol!

Southwick

[Removed by poster at 23/12/12 20:09:42]

In Your Bush

"Spelling mistakes do not bother me it the poster has made an effort. You can't all be good at everything.

I find it more annoying, the people who can spell, that don't bother to read what they have written before hitting the post message button.

There's no time to read the blather before hitting the post message button - someone might get there first."

I don't think you have to worry about it. I don't believe you suffer with sausage syndrome

Southwick

The one thing I do hate is txt spk all good points, but tex speak then does it really matter, in the scheme of things. people are so quick to judge isn't this just meant to be a fun place to be, i know its a personal bug bare but is it really worth worrying about. behind the bad grammar u may find some wonderful people u never know "

Was "bug bare" deliberate?

Forum Mod

Im not too bothered with the odd spelling mistake,I make enough of them myself,postng from a phone is a nightmare sometimes too

There are certain styles of grammar that I don't like but im never going to get myself in a rage worrying about it,nor will I ever put anyone down on here regarding their spelling or grammar,I find it rude and needlessly picky when people to that to others

By *iewMan  over a year ago
Forum Mod

Angus & Findhorn

not fussed

To be honest it doesn't bother me I hav an iPhone n sometimes the predictive text make me sound like an idiot anyway so I tend to put it down to that

"why are some on here obsessed with spelling mistakes. i can spell but when your posting or messaging its not my top agenda to get right, its not a spelling bee ffs. does it really matter. thoughts!"

It's 'you're' not 'your'.

essex chelmsford

"why are some on here obsessed with spelling mistakes. i can spell but when your posting or messaging its not my top agenda to get right, its not a spelling bee ffs. does it really matter. thoughts!

It's 'you're' not 'your'. "

exactly my point who cares !

essex chelmsford

"Im not too bothered with the odd spelling mistake,I make enough of them myself,postng from a phone is a nightmare sometimes too

There are certain styles of grammar that I don't like but im never going to get myself in a rage worrying about it,nor will I ever put anyone down on here regarding their spelling or grammar,I find it rude and needlessly picky when people to that to others"

On the flip-side, there are posters here at Fabs who really are a delight to read! My fave is Iconic, she can write reams of stuff without me having to slope off with a headache. Every post is perfectly punctuated so can be read with ease and understanding.

I can be a bit slow on the uptake, so something that is clearly written makes life so much easier.

Southwick

"why are some on here obsessed with spelling mistakes. i can spell but when your posting or messaging its not my top agenda to get right, its not a spelling bee ffs. does it really matter. thoughts!

It's 'you're' not 'your'. exactly my point who cares !"

I do

essex chelmsford

The one thing I do hate is txt spk all good points, but tex speak then does it really matter, in the scheme of things. people are so quick to judge isn't this just meant to be a fun place to be, i know its a personal bug bare but is it really worth worrying about. behind the bad grammar u may find some wonderful people u never know Was "bug bare" deliberate? "

lol well spotted

sometimes my spelling mistake are down to using a wireless keyboard which cannot keep up with my typing speed.

but i know i should read it back before posting.

essex chelmsford

It's 'you're' not 'your'. exactly my point who cares ! I do "

and that says alot to me about you, i just to think theirs more to a person then picking on how they spell

Southwick

It's 'you're' not 'your'. exactly my point who cares ! I do and that says alot to me about you, i just to think theirs more to a person then picking on how they spell "

It says a lot to me about you too. Your last post was atrocious 4/10 and that's being generous!

I should never pass a spelling test . Even with my spell cheek as i never know which one to pick , When i get a word wrong it gives me a list to pick from .

Brighton - even Hove!

Trouble is, with poor use of grammar, is that it can change the meaning of your post and make you sound like an idiot even if you're not. The occasional spelling mistake I usually ignore due to typing speed / lousy spell check etc, I don't like txt speak. Save it for texting.

essex chelmsford

It's 'you're' not 'your'. exactly my point who cares ! I do and that says alot to me about you, i just to think theirs more to a person then picking on how they spell It says a lot to me about you too. Your last post was atrocious 4/10 and that's being generous! "

just a 4 im hurt!

"Trouble is, with poor use of grammar, is that it can change the meaning of your post and make you sound like an idiot even if you're not. The occasional spelling mistake I usually ignore due to typing speed / lousy spell check etc, I don't like txt speak. Save it for texting. "
lol if only it was that .... life would be better for me and my kids ..

Well I always say if someone don't like my spelling then tough titties!

Myself though I see through someone's bad spelling as there is far better qualities to find than ones education.

"Trouble is, with poor use of grammar, is that it can change the meaning of your post and make you sound like an idiot even if you're not. The occasional spelling mistake I usually ignore due to typing speed / lousy spell check etc, I don't like txt speak. Save it for texting. "
Is that not text ?

the odd spelling mistake is acceptable,but constant mistakes and text speak makes people look stupid.

Well... The English language is rich in irony and with so many double meaning words.... I do luv sometimes the way some people rite the way they speek.. Kind of makes sense. If ewe no wot I meen?

At the end of the day it's fun on here unfortunately frustrating for others.. This is coming from ex Basic Skills tutor! Happy swinging folks!

By *enithWoman  over a year ago

closer than you think

I find it more annoying, the people who can spell, that don't bother to read what they have written before hitting the post message button. "

lol someone not bother to read it before posting?

By *ENGUYMan  over a year ago

Hull

Right!

I'm a trained Proofreader, so with the Mods permission, you can all send your messages in to me and I will check them for you for all errors before they are posted onto the Forum pages!

My terms are reasonable! Lots of extra Xmas money coming my way!

Brighton - even Hove!

"Trouble is, with poor use of grammar, is that it can change the meaning of your post and make you sound like an idiot even if you're not. The occasional spelling mistake I usually ignore due to typing speed / lousy spell check etc, I don't like txt speak. Save it for texting. Is that not text ? "

Yes! Doh! I've forgiven myself...,.

Thing i find funny is people running on about spelling when they make mistakes themselves. No ones perfect here.And time and time again see posts here in the forums about it and when i put my spell cheek on there letter 9/10 something wrong .I don't clam to be the best at spelling i never will be.

"Right!

I'm a trained Proofreader, so with the Mods permission, you can all send your messages in to me and I will check them for you for all errors before they are posted onto the Forum pages!

My terms are reasonable! Lots of extra Xmas money coming my way! "

You mean mod's permission?

Brighton - even Hove!

"Thing i find funny is people running on about spelling when they make mistakes themselves. No ones perfect here.And time and time again see posts here in the forums about it and when i put my spell cheek on there letter 9/10 something wrong .I don't clam to be the best at spelling i never will be. "

Mine was more grammatical in nature....

By *ENGUYMan  over a year ago

Hull

"Right!

You mean mod's permission?"

No, your interpretation is incorrect. What you have suggested is to read the Mod's as, the 'Mod is'

By *ig jugsWoman  over a year ago

somewhere

Have you ever thought some people may be dyslexic (I am) and that is why they can sometimes spell things wrong? Does not mean to say you are stupid.Text speak on the other hand is just plain lazy

"Have you ever thought some people may be dyslexic (I am) and that is why they can sometimes spell things wrong? Does not mean to say you are stupid.Text speak on the other hand is just plain lazy"
I am too and tell them in my profile .I just do my best here.

By *phroditeWoman  over a year ago

(She/ her) in Sensualityland

Spelling mistakes dont bother me anywhere near as much as text speak; I hate to have to decipher text speak and tbh I dont usually bother reading or replying to them.

Forum Mod

Angus & Findhorn

how many of the anti text speak people type in full

laugh out loud

laughing my arse off

pissing my self laughing

In Your Bush

But is text speak any different to using acronyms or slang?

"Spelling mistakes dont bother me anywhere near as much as text speak; I hate to have to decipher text speak and tbh I dont usually bother reading or replying to them.

"

tbh ?????

Oops!

Spelling doesn't bother me so much but lack of punctuation will lead me to skipping over the entire post completely.

Brighton - even Hove!

"how many of the anti text speak people type in full

laugh out loud

laughing my arse off

pissing my self laughing

"

WTF?

"Spelling mistakes dont bother me anywhere near as much as text speak; I hate to have to decipher text speak and tbh I dont usually bother reading or replying to them.

tbh ?????

Oops! "

haha... nice one although tbh is not considered text speak anymore than eg, ie and wtf...

Text speak in my books is "wen u luk 4 it"...

tbh ?????

Oops!

haha... nice one although tbh is not considered text speak anymore than eg, ie and wtf...

Text speak in my books is "wen u luk 4 it"..."

soz! wz onli jking!

Some people pick up on spellings solely to put others down, trying to establish themselves as superior to the other.

I am not bothered by the spelling particularly. I for example am quite good at spelling, I read a lot, I have a career whereby I need good communication skills.

When I post on the forum I am switched off mentally to a degree. If I write their instead of there, it doesn't mean I'm an uneducated slob, it means I've just typed a work without any thought. I'm not going to go back and change it because a post on a swingers forum does not necessitate a high level of perfection.

Maybe it does show laziness but to be honest I couldn't give a hoot

tbh ?????

Oops!

Text speak in my books is "wen u luk 4 it"...

soz! wz onli jking! "

And just like I said... I wont be replying to this...;-)

"Some people pick up on spellings solely to put others down, trying to establish themselves as superior to the other.

I am not bothered by the spelling particularly. I for example am quite good at spelling, I read a lot, I have a career whereby I need good communication skills.

When I post on the forum I am switched off mentally to a degree. If I write their instead of there, it doesn't mean I'm an uneducated slob, it means I've just typed a work without any thought. I'm not going to go back and change it because a post on a swingers forum does not necessitate a high level of perfection.

"

I would agree with you - I am pretty good at spelling, know most of the time where my commas should be and generally pay attention to getting it right. On the forums (not just Fabs) I am more relaxed about formalities and dont worry or double check...

Southwick

"Right!

No, your interpretation is incorrect. What you have suggested is to read the Mod's as, the 'Mod is'

"

Sorry Gen Guy but you're wrong. The apostrophe in this case is a possesive one, not denoting a missing letter. So it could be "Mod's permission" (singular) or "Mods' permission" (plural).

"Right!

Sorry Gen Guy but you're wrong. The apostrophe in this case is a possesive one, not denoting a missing letter. So it could be "Mod's permission" (singular) or "Mods' permission" (plural). "

You are very handy to have around as you are spot on Mr Handyman

By *hetalkingstoveMan  over a year ago

London

laugh out loud

laughing my arse off

pissing my self laughing

"

Er...it's quite possible to exist on line without needing to use any of these phrases in any form.

"Right!

Sorry Gen Guy but you're wrong. The apostrophe in this case is a possesive one, not denoting a missing letter. So it could be "Mod's permission" (singular) or "Mods' permission" (plural). "

I was just about to reply with the same, thank ye kindly.

Forum Mod

Angus & Findhorn

laugh out loud

laughing my arse off

pissing my self laughing

Er...it's quite possible to exist on line without needing to use any of these phrases in any form."

not sure I said it wasn't... just some of the people who post on the anti text speak stuff use them..

so I make the assumption using one or two text abbreviated words is ok.. but not a full message.

hope that's ok

Southwick

"Right!

Sorry Gen Guy but you're wrong. The apostrophe in this case is a possesive one, not denoting a missing letter. So it could be "Mod's permission" (singular) or "Mods' permission" (plural).

I was just about to reply with the same, thank ye kindly."

You are welcome. I wondered if you would come back on it. A proofreader can't be wrong surely?

essex chelmsford

"Some people pick up on spellings solely to put others down, trying to establish themselves as superior to the other.

Maybe it does show laziness but to be honest I couldn't give a hoot "

"It is important to me , I dislike bad spelling or grammar as it smacks of laziness to me .

Besides I profess to be a bit sticky at spelling sometimes and the spell checker sorts that or buggers it up completely !."

Had you thought it might not be laziness as you put it but dyslexia and yes I suffer from dyslexia and the spell checker on my phone works well for me at times lol

Southwick

"Right!

Sorry Gen Guy but you're wrong. The apostrophe in this case is a possesive one, not denoting a missing letter. So it could be "Mod's permission" (singular) or "Mods' permission" (plural). You are very handy to have around as you are spot on Mr Handyman "

I try my best...not always good enough though.

A dunt no whi al tha fuss bout it iz

[Removed by poster at 23/12/12 22:06:35]

"A dunt no whi al tha fuss bout it iz "

I Love it!

"Right!

I was just about to reply with the same, thank ye kindly. You are welcome. I wondered if you would come back on it. A proofreader can't be wrong surely? "

Of course, I hate being told I am wrong, especially when I know I am right!

» Add a new message to this topic