FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Physicists To Test If Universe Is A Computer Simulation!

Physicists To Test If Universe Is A Computer Simulation!

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

Physicists have devised a new experiment to test if the universe is a computer.

A philosophical thought experiment has long held that it is more likely than not that we're living inside a machine.

The theory basically goes that any civilisation which could evolve to a 'post-human' stage would almost certainly learn to run simulations on the scale of a universe. And that given the size of reality - billions of worlds, around billions of suns - it is fairly likely that if this is possible, it has already happened.

And if it has? Well, then the statistical likelihood is that we're located somewhere in that chain of simulations within simulations. The alternative - that we're the first civilisation, in the first universe - is virtually (no pun intended) absurd.

Fuck me I’m TRON!

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Neo.

By *ady4ladyWoman  over a year ago

liverpool

I think therefore I am ! ( I think )

By *icketysplitsWoman  over a year ago

Way over Yonder, that's where I'm bound

I thought it was the mice.

I thought it was a joke but no we are all in one big xbox or they are going to test to see if we are!

I actually believe something along the lines of this already.

Hold on, just have to answer the phone...

liverpool

Beggers belief that money can be wasted on this when there are so many needy causes in the world. What are they going to do if they find out its true? tell us? I dont think so !

By *isscheekychopsWoman  over a year ago

The land of grey peas and bacon

you been watching to much big bang theory...

It never ceases to amaze me that some humans think we're so special that there has to be more to the Universe than it simply existing. We are not someone else's experiment, nor are we a programme a la Matrix that is rerun each time it malfunctions.

Mankind is nothing more than a set of chemicals, protons, electrons and atoms that have somehow managed to fuse together to create the environment needed to create life and sentience. I absolutely refuse to believe that my life has been designed by someone or something else as it implies that everything I say or do, or have said and done, or will say and do has been preordained before I came into existence.

By *ngel Devil69Couple  over a year ago

Manilva

The question is? Do we really give a shit???

liverpool

My head hurts, cant i just be me?

"The question is? Do we really give a shit??? "

We can't if its all a simulation!

By *ezebelWoman  over a year ago

North of The Wall - youll need your vest

Just hope no bugger presses Ctrl Alt Delete in that case

"you been watching to much big bang theory... "

No its not a Sheldon theory as it happens though it could be.

By *icketysplitsWoman  over a year ago

Way over Yonder, that's where I'm bound

"My head hurts, cant i just be me? "

Of course you can, in fact to be otherwise might skew the results of the experiment.

"My head hurts, cant i just be me?

Of course you can, in fact to be otherwise might skew the results of the experiment."

Not if its a virtual head

By *ngel Devil69Couple  over a year ago

Manilva

"The question is? Do we really give a shit???

We can't if its all a simulation! "

So were not really having sex either???

Ok we'll just pretend we are!!

"The question is? Do we really give a shit???

We can't if its all a simulation!

So were not really having sex either???

Ok we'll just pretend we are!!"

Its virtual sex but its good virtual sex

This isnt anything new to be honest, and it was proposed before the likes of the matrix films.

Was only last nite I was watching a stephen hawking programme, and while answering nothing exactly new..its good to see some things on the screen , rather than reading from a journal/book

the life experiment 'the game of life'- basically shows a simple algorithm based on a small amount of data can become complex in physical and behavioural ways.

the physicists will never be able to mathematically prove the existence of a super computer(or being), particularly not at this stage in our short time in existence itself.

I believe, If we are a running simulation, well indeed what we are is the lifeforce of that system itself..and that would mean that free thought is the crux of the universe existing in the first place...whether its from an unknown past or an alien source..there MUST have been something before us in these 13 billion years.

Not to forget that we have so many levels of reality that unless we managed to convert ourselves to be able to exist in that dimension, we will never actually know if they just arent as complex or containing 'life' like our own environment.

"It never ceases to amaze me that some humans think we're so special that there has to be more to the Universe than it simply existing. We are not someone else's experiment, nor are we a programme a la Matrix that is rerun each time it malfunctions.

Mankind is nothing more than a set of chemicals, protons, electrons and atoms that have somehow managed to fuse together to create the environment needed to create life and sentience. I absolutely refuse to believe that my life has been designed by someone or something else as it implies that everything I say or do, or have said and done, or will say and do has been preordained before I came into existence."

Well, that's just as likely, as not?

By *ce WingerMan  over a year ago

P.O. Box DE1 0NQ

Then the dude that is playing this computer game, a futuristic hippie, would bear more than a striking resemblance to Jesus

"Then the dude that is playing this computer game, a futuristic hippie, would bear more than a striking resemblance to Jesus "

We are in the shagworld add on package here I think.

Watch the fairly new film from the Alien and Predator films called Prometheus ....

That will show you where we all came from lol

"This isnt anything new to be honest, and it was proposed before the likes of the matrix films.

Was only last nite I was watching a stephen hawking programme, and while answering nothing exactly new..its good to see some things on the screen , rather than reading from a journal/book

the life experiment 'the game of life'- basically shows a simple algorithm based on a small amount of data can become complex in physical and behavioural ways.

the physicists will never be able to mathematically prove the existence of a super computer(or being), particularly not at this stage in our short time in existence itself.

I believe, If we are a running simulation, well indeed what we are is the lifeforce of that system itself..and that would mean that free thought is the crux of the universe existing in the first place...whether its from an unknown past or an alien source..there MUST have been something before us in these 13 billion years.

Not to forget that we have so many levels of reality that unless we managed to convert ourselves to be able to exist in that dimension, we will never actually know if they just arent as complex or containing 'life' like our own environment."

The theoretical potential that we are in one isn't new but they have only just come up with a way of testing it in the last few months although I think many wouldn't want to know. Maybe its what 21/12/2012 is all about.

"Watch the fairly new film from the Alien and Predator films called Prometheus ....

That will show you where we all came from lol"

lol doesnt answer where they came from or where who before them came from etc etc...think deeper lol

"Watch the fairly new film from the Alien and Predator films called Prometheus ....

That will show you where we all came from lol

lol doesnt answer where they came from or where who before them came from etc etc...think deeper lol"

Its simple we all evolved out of a pool of gush!

By *ensualtouch15Man  over a year ago

ashby de la zouch

It is absolute fact that we are not within a conventional computer simulation . The experiment has been done its all about reasoning with data . People need to deal with reality I feel before the need to explore fiction

oh sex is good to but always a state of mind x

is the mind a computer if so what e see and think is a computer simulation x

He he love this game

Paddy you have to wait for the second film... dont be so impatient all will be revealed

By *ngieandMrManCouple  over a year ago

hereford

So this is all just a computer simulation? Hmmm I wonder... I wonder if I can hack into the program and make my cock a bit bigger

"So this is all just a computer simulation? Hmmm I wonder... I wonder if I can hack into the program and make my cock a bit bigger "

shhh I said nothing

love,

Neo

Oh yes.

"So this is all just a computer simulation? Hmmm I wonder... I wonder if I can hack into the program and make my cock a bit bigger

shhh I said nothing

love,

Neo"

U say it best when you say nothing at all

By *aceytopWoman  over a year ago

from a town near you

if you watch an insect in the garden it realy has no concept that you are there watching it,so methinks there coul be something so much bigger than us that we dont realise its watching us

Haha Ronan Keeting getting bought into the nerd convo?

By *arambarMan  over a year ago

swindon

No one would have believed in the last years of the nineteenth century that this world was being watched keenly and closely by intelligences greater than man's and yet as mortal as his own; that as men busied themselves about their various concerns they were scrutinised and studied, perhaps almost as narrowly as a man with a microscope might scrutinise the transient creatures that swarm and multiply in a drop of water.

"if you watch an insect in the garden it realy has no concept that you are there watching it,so methinks there coul be something so much bigger than us that we dont realise its watching us"

they actually see more than we do..as do most animals...basically we have lost many senses that we only have a narrower intake of things..

of course being aware of oneself is possibly never going to be a trait of an insect...especially if we measure the ability to reason with our reality as being how many neurons we have firing away in our brains.

*and thats part of the problem with the anthropic principle,the universe only exists by its conscious observers...which is only known to be us humans(and possibly very few other species), so either humankind has been around a verrrry long time...or there has/is other sentient lifeforms out there.

"Haha Ronan Keeting getting bought into the nerd convo? "

yes it annoyed me into a hatewank.. that Be Nice isnt very nice!

At least they can get all the answers from this thread.

Isaac Newton supposedly never had sex ever. (But he did have a single male profile on Fab)..

By *ust_for_laughsCouple  over a year ago

Hinckley

"So this is all just a computer simulation? Hmmm I wonder... I wonder if I can hack into the program and make my cock a bit bigger

shhh I said nothing

love,

Neo"

13 bit binary...very unusual

By *ce WingerMan  over a year ago

P.O. Box DE1 0NQ

"Then the dude that is playing this computer game, a futuristic hippie, would bear more than a striking resemblance to Jesus

We are in the shagworld add on package here I think. "

Is Yul Brynner included or do you mean Rimmerworld

shhh I said nothing

love,

Neo

13 bit binary...very unusual "

its my backwards compatible quantabit code

It's an unlikely theory. Not as unlikely as big white beardy men in the sky though...

There are no real answers as to what reality is...

There are only interpretations based on estimations, with sprinklings of imagination...

Another expression of mental masturbation.

Mmm I wanna live in The Sims then, and mod myself a Gerard Butler o'like, wouldn't wanna live in any other games we play.

By *londeCazWoman  over a year ago

Arse End of the Universe, Cumbria

"It never ceases to amaze me that some humans think we're so special that there has to be more to the Universe than it simply existing. We are not someone else's experiment, nor are we a programme a la Matrix that is rerun each time it malfunctions.

Mankind is nothing more than a set of chemicals, protons, electrons and atoms that have somehow managed to fuse together to create the environment needed to create life and sentience. I absolutely refuse to believe that my life has been designed by someone or something else as it implies that everything I say or do, or have said and done, or will say and do has been preordained before I came into existence."

I knew you were gonna say that Wishy...all bow down before Caz the Creator...mwahahahahahaha

The question isn't "why am i here?"

it's "am i here at all?"

"The question isn't "why am i here?"

it's "am i here at all?""

I suppose I also wonder what a persons reality is during stressing times..most peoples first instinct when they see and hear something dreadful happening is to shut their eyes and cover their ears.- the event still exists..however the 'stronger' the persons will at the time may help them build their own fantasy world where horrible things dont happen.

From a quantum perspective its like not being accountable for observing the given reality at the time and returning to a pre-birth state.Of course this cant be beneficial to the person or others can it?- or is it a feeling if they can observe it, they should be able to change it?

By *mm_n_ZedCouple  over a year ago

Fareham

Well, whoever is in charge of the computer programme could have had the decency to simulate me thinner. And a bit taller. B*stards!

surely someone would have switched it off and back on again by now

hereford

"surely someone would have switched it off and back on again by now"

I tried that but still my cock didn't get any bigger

hereford

"Well, whoever is in charge of the computer programme could have had the decency to simulate me thinner. And a bit taller. B*stards! "

Your're not short and wide, it's the vision of everyone else with a programming glitch in their aspect ratio

By *amschwingerzCouple  over a year ago

West

"Physicists have devised a new experiment to test if the universe is a computer.

A philosophical thought experiment has long held that it is more likely than not that we're living inside a machine.

The theory basically goes that any civilisation which could evolve to a 'post-human' stage would almost certainly learn to run simulations on the scale of a universe. And that given the size of reality - billions of worlds, around billions of suns - it is fairly likely that if this is possible, it has already happened.

And if it has? Well, then the statistical likelihood is that we're located somewhere in that chain of simulations within simulations. The alternative - that we're the first civilisation, in the first universe - is virtually (no pun intended) absurd.

Fuck me I’m TRON! "

Im afraid experiments like this get filed in my 'who gives a fuck folder'...

Theres men women and children dying all over this fine planet of ours yet some countries and especially America seem hell bent on spunking billions up the wall on shit like this and life on mars or boring holes in the Antarctic to find out what life was like millions of years ago!!..

In the words of the anti nowhere League song...'So Fucking What'!?!?!?!?!?...

Feed the people on this planet before worrying about little green men and big bangs etc..

"Im afraid experiments like this get filed in my 'who gives a fuck folder'..."

Sounds like you do!

Isn't it because people are interested in why we are what we are that we're also concerned to preserve life? If not we'd have never looked beyond our own back yards in the first place.

Mere assertion of a fact does not make it true. The population of the planet could all fanatically believe that turnips tasted.like chocolate. It doesn't mean that they do.

Also, it's a thought experiment, thinking costs no money, try it!

I happen to refute the theory of the simulated universe, the observers would need to exist within the simulation to observe it, them knowing that it's a simulation would make the Sim fail. Also, if one were to create a simulation of a universe it souls require the resources of an entire universe to provide the computational power to manage and another to record the data generated at each temporal quanta, unlikely in the extreme.

"Physicists have devised a new experiment to test if the universe is a computer.

Fuck me I’m TRON!

Im afraid experiments like this get filed in my 'who gives a fuck folder'...

Theres men women and children dying all over this fine planet of ours yet some countries and especially America seem hell bent on spunking billions up the wall on shit like this and life on mars or boring holes in the Antarctic to find out what life was like millions of years ago!!..

In the words of the anti nowhere League song...'So Fucking What'!?!?!?!?!?...

Feed the people on this planet before worrying about little green men and big bangs etc..

"

the who gives a fuck folder that u owe much of ur modern way of life to?

Dont make out that because we cant still think of the wonder that our universe offers that we dont care about people here and now...

but without the visionaries, forward thinkers,those wishing to see a sense of purpose and unity ( YES THAT INCLUDES LITTLE GREEN MEN), we most likely wouldnt be communicating at all over the internet etc...never mind asking whats going to be happening in 50-100yrs time..

As a former elementry partical physicist I hesitate to mention that this thread is a distraction from the core purpose of this site, which is to promote communal fucking!

But most interesting things in life are a distraction so perhaps it is good! Anyway interesting reading the collection of muses!

"The question is? Do we really give a shit??? "

Haha:

To shit or not to shit? THAT, is the question.

If life for us is someone's "game", shouldn't we play this game and have some fun?

"So this is all just a computer simulation? Hmmm I wonder... I wonder if I can hack into the program and make my cock a bit bigger "

Lmfao!

If we are nought but a bunch of algorithms running on an endless loop on a vast cosmic hard drive I have one query I'd like to SQL - would anyone like to run a compatibility enhancement upgrade with me?

By *amschwingerzCouple  over a year ago

West

"

Dont make out that because we cant still think of the wonder that our universe offers that we dont care about people here and now...

but without the visionaries, forward thinkers,those wishing to see a sense of purpose and unity ( YES THAT INCLUDES LITTLE GREEN MEN), we most likely wouldnt be communicating at all over the internet etc...never mind asking whats going to be happening in 50-100yrs time..

"

Im not 'making out' that we dont care here on earth..what I am saying is there are more important things to address then stargazing or sending people to Mars..

Ok technology has gained over because of certain experiments etc..but there are still people living in cardboard boxes, starving in third world countries and generally haven't a bit of a shit life here..

Lets sort our own out first..

"

Im not 'making out' that we dont care here on earth..what I am saying is there are more important things to address then stargazing or sending people to Mars..

Ok technology has gained over because of certain experiments etc..but there are still people living in cardboard boxes, starving in third world countries and generally haven't a bit of a shit life here..

Lets sort our own out first..

"

if ur that concerned get off the internet and go help out lol...sorry to be really blunt, I just hate the attitude that these experiments are 'useless', why doesnt EVERY celebrity, royals, oil barons etc etc..start helping out? as far as I see, they sit back and use science for commercial gains..just remember the pioneers of today when u sit back, or ur kids sit back and marvel at a greater sense of understanding...thats something that people have lost...everything has to be utterly concrete and close to them..its just not that simple..and thankfully so.

why do u think its important to search for new life, habitable planets etc etc?...our future in the long run as a species depends on it ultimately

By *ornyHorwichCpl aka HHCCouple  over a year ago

horwich

You should all read Armageddon the Musical. The answer is all there!

"You should all read Armageddon the Musical. The answer is all there! "

sounds like galaxy quest lol..anyway..i dont read novels

"You should all read Armageddon the Musical. The answer is all there!

sounds like galaxy quest lol..anyway..i dont read novels"

ok it doesnt lol...

To a small extent I can understand that this particular experiment seems a bit far fetched - but on the other hand we live on a big ball that was dominated by giant lizards.

What I can't make sense of is the ridiculously simplistic argument that not doing that sort of thing would solve hunger around the world - I mean how?!

If we're a computer simulation the cost of the extended warranty must be horrendous

"To a small extent I can understand that this particular experiment seems a bit far fetched - but on the other hand we live on a big ball that was dominated by giant lizards.

What I can't make sense of is the ridiculously simplistic argument that not doing that sort of thing would solve hunger around the world - I mean how?!

"

i think its about the money being spent, it costs huge amounts of money just doing the smashing of atoms together..some opeople think thats a huge waste of time..as the reults arent concrete...at the end of it, it does just give us more theories..

however as I'm pointing out, with the advances of computer technology etc, we may find some new practical applications..after all...splitting the atom was only a theory wasnt it...look at whats happened with that!

I dont see it really that far away to imagine anti-gravity devices etc..yup..ppl can laugh as its only sci-fi...but thats how we've been progressing really...what we imagine, tends to be coming true...might take 100's of years

I agree (not with the money is the solution part) but yes obviously pursuing new thinking leads to all sorts of advances, not least allowing us to know when and where people are starving and how to help them.

If we're bothered personally about other peoples hunger we can (as I think you suggested earlier) do plenty about that ourselves - starting with only taking our fair share!

Anyway for some reason 'Virtual Valerie' has just popped in my mind - what was that?

"I agree (not with the money is the solution part) but yes obviously pursuing new thinking leads to all sorts of advances, not least allowing us to know when and where people are starving and how to help them.

If we're bothered personally about other peoples hunger we can (as I think you suggested earlier) do plenty about that ourselves - starting with only taking our fair share!

Anyway for some reason 'Virtual Valerie' has just popped in my mind - what was that?

"

its a double edged sword with feeding the 3rd world.Too much greed(in the 3rd world too by those with power), then people dont want to make genetically engineered plants, they dont want genetically engineered people...its all about ethics...rightly and wrongly so.. but if we were thinking about 50years time, 100 years time..as some are doing anyway..its a plan of bettering the world on the whole...however like almost everything if it has commercial value..then it makes anything sound great!

as for 3d virtual babes check:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g8TVNgcZST4

lol I went away and googled Valerie I think it was brought up at college as pushing the boundaries somehow at the time - it probably was for that particular lecturer..

» Add a new message to this topic