FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Ingredients for the perfect pub

Ingredients for the perfect pub

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *ull English with tea OP   Man  over a year ago

London

Okay, so we all have our favourite boozer - be that our local or somewhere we’ve visited.

But if you were creating the perfect pub what would your prerequisite components be?

I’ll start off…

- A gruff, grumpy landlord who has questionable dress sense. You never know where you stand with him and there is a rumour that he’s ex special forces

- A roaring open fire that is on constantly (only reluctantly not used in the summer)

- bar snacks limited to 3 types of crisps (a cheap brand you’ve never heard of), KP nuts that are on one of those cards behind the bar that everytime one is bought it reveals a scantily clad model in swimwear, and pork scratchings

- a busty peroxide blonde barmaid that wears low cut tops and flirts outrageously

- bad patten carpets that have not been cleaned since the mid 80’s

- a resident cat / dog that sits under your table

- hanging baskets on the outside

- a TV that is only turned on for major events and even then reluctantly

Over to you to create the perfect British pub…

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *wingin CatMan  over a year ago

London

Decent bitter, and not the "craft beer" crap that gets passed off as "pale ale" and the like these days, when it's really glorified lager.

By *NL Social SpurschickWoman  over a year ago

Social Zone

[Removed by poster at 24/11/22 11:55:27]

By *NL Social SpurschickWoman  over a year ago

Social Zone

I know a place just like that minus the tv & fireplace.

Add in the old men regulars, who you have the same conversation with every time; and a place decorated by the landlords obsessive collective ways, but is a trip down memory lane.

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Sometimes you want to go

Where everybody knows your name

And they're always glad you came

You want to be where you can see

Our troubles are all the same

You want to be where everybody knows your name

Regular live music. Pubs were the breeding ground of so many great bands but that world has mostly gone now.

By *red333Man  over a year ago

Dorchester

I tend to go in pubs depending where I'm working but my favourite pub is owned by 5 beautiful sisters.

It has a beautiful pint for £4.70

Which of course is £1.71 dearer than the local spoons.

It sells expensive food but good wholesome food nonetheless.

It's always open where some are not (seasonal)

Parking is available on the road but that's a bonus because the town you have to pay no matter what the time.

Did I mention its owned by 5 beautiful sisters.

It has a pool table and beer garden.

Their dad unfortunately died in a diving accident but the pub is dedicated to him...... The Divers Arms

Dorchester

"Sometimes you want to go

Where everybody knows your name

And they're always glad you came

You want to be where you can see

Our troubles are all the same

You want to be where everybody knows your name"

cheers

By *iddlesticksMan  over a year ago

My nan’s spare room.

Listen to a song by Toby Keith called I love this bar.

I swear I’ve been to exactly the bar he’s singing about.

My favourite pub is a lovely little village pub not far from us.

Has a little log fire, clean & modern, polite staff and does the best Sunday dinner.... I only go in to eat so good food is a must

Mrs C

By *annaPlayABCCouple  over a year ago

Bacup

Not too fussy about decor,but 2 'must haves' for me are a decent quality pool table,maintained well and couple of decent fruit machines,shame 95% of slots anywhere now have gone digital,taken all fun out of playing them..remember getting a pint for less than £2 and enjoying a good session with your change,and if lucky your night ended up being a 'freebie'

No smarts devices, great views that’s aesthetically pleasing, beautiful landscapes, jukebox, quiet area for intimate conversations and dance floor

By *ornycougaWoman  over a year ago

Wherever I lay my hat

I worked in one when I was at school/home from uni. If anyone has seen This Country it was just like the bowls club that Kurtin worked at. Everyone had their own tankards and their own seats and there was a bloody riot if a newcomer sat in a regulars seat or you got the wrong tankard. Every round someone said "and one for yourself" which usually meant a gin or vodka so I'd go home at the end of the night steaming, money in my pocket and having felt like I'd had a night out!

My kinda pub

By *dventurous biMan  over a year ago

tesside

The Moon Under Water defines the perfect pub

By *ot-AshMan  over a year ago

London

A busty bar maid.

Someone who will shout get out of my pub if there is any trouble.

A good quiz night.

Decent food.

No gambling machines with flashing lights.

Nice music but not too loud.

By *ife NinjaMan  over a year ago

Dunfermline

Good food, comfy atmosphere, good company and good food. Job done

If someone knows of such place in London or nearby, please let me know, I miss a fireplace

By *anilla-sinCouple  over a year ago

lancs

I refer you to George Orwell...

My favourite public-house, the Moon Under Water, is only two minutes from a bus stop, but it is on a side-street, and d*unks and rowdies never seem to find their way there, even on Saturday nights.

Its clientele, though fairly large, consists mostly of ‘regulars’ who occupy the same chair every evening and go there for conversation as much as for the beer.

If you are asked why you favour a particular public-house, it would seem natural to put the beer first, but the thing that most appeals to me about the Moon Under Water is what people call its ‘atmosphere’.

To begin with, its whole architecture and fittings are uncompromisingly Victorian. It has no glass-topped tables or other modern miseries, and, on the other hand, no sham roof-beams, ingle-nooks or plastic panels masquerading as oak. The grained woodwork, the ornamental mirrors behind the bar, the cast-iron fireplaces, the florid ceiling stained dark yellow by tobacco-smoke, the stuffed bull’s head over the mantelpiece — everything has the solid, comfortable ugliness of the nineteenth century.

In winter there is generally a good fire burning in at least two of the bars, and the Victorian lay-out of the place gives one plenty of elbow-room. There are a public bar, a saloon bar, a ladies’ bar, a bottle-and-jug for those who are too bashful to buy their supper beer publicly, and, upstairs, a dining-room.

Games are only played in the public, so that in the other bars you can walk about without constantly ducking to avoid flying darts.

In the Moon Under Water it is always quiet enough to talk. The house possesses neither a radio nor a piano, and even on Christmas Eve and such occasions the singing that happens is of a decorous kind.

The barmaids know most of their customers by name, and take a personal interest in everyone. They are all middle-aged women—two of them have their hair dyed in quite surprising shades—and they call everyone ‘dear,’ irrespective of age or sex. (‘Dear,’ not ‘Ducky’: pubs where the barmaid calls you ‘ducky’ always have a disagreeable raffish atmosphere.)

Unlike most pubs, the Moon Under Water sells tobacco as well as cigarettes, and it also sells aspirins and stamps, and is obliging about letting you use the telephone.

You cannot get dinner at the Moon Under Water, but there is always the snack counter where you can get liver-sausage sandwiches, mussels (a speciality of the house), cheese, pickles and those large biscuits with caraway seeds in them which only seem to exist in public-houses.

Upstairs, six days a week, you can get a good, solid lunch—for example, a cut off the joint, two vegetables and boiled jam roll—for about three shillings.

The special pleasure of this lunch is that you can have draught stout with it. I doubt whether as many as 10 per cent of London pubs serve draught stout, but the Moon Under Water is one of them. It is a soft, creamy sort of stout, and it goes better in a pewter pot.

They are particular about their drinking vessels at the Moon Under Water, and never, for example, make the mistake of serving a pint of beer in a handleless glass. Apart from glass and pewter mugs, they have some of those pleasant strawberry-pink china ones which are now seldom seen in London. China mugs went out about 30 years ago, because most people like their drink to be transparent, but in my opinion beer tastes better out of china.

The great surprise of the Moon Under Water is its garden. You go through a narrow passage leading out of the saloon, and find yourself in a fairly large garden with plane trees, under which there are little green tables with iron chairs round them. Up at one end of the garden there are swings and a chute for the children.

On summer evenings there are family parties, and you sit under the plane trees having beer or draught cider to the tune of delighted squeals from children going down the chute. The prams with the younger children are parked near the gate.

Many as are the virtues of the Moon Under Water, I think that the garden is its best feature, because it allows whole families to go there instead of Mum having to stay at home and mind the baby while Dad goes out alone.

And though, strictly speaking, they are only allowed in the garden, the children tend to seep into the pub and even to fetch drinks for their parents. This, I believe, is against the law, but it is a law that deserves to be broken, for it is the puritanical nonsense of excluding children—and therefore, to some extent, women—from pubs that has turned these places into mere boozing-shops instead of the family gathering-places that they ought to be.

The Moon Under Water is my ideal of what a pub should be—at any rate, in the London area. (The qualities one expects of a country pub are slightly different.)

But now is the time to reveal something which the discerning and disillusioned reader will probably have guessed already. There is no such place as the Moon Under Water.

That is to say, there may well be a pub of that name, but I don’t know of it, nor do I know any pub with just that combination of qualities.

I know pubs where the beer is good but you can’t get meals, others where you can get meals but which are noisy and crowded, and others which are quiet but where the beer is generally sour. As for gardens, offhand I can only think of three London pubs that possess them.

But, to be fair, I do know of a few pubs that almost come up to the Moon Under Water. I have mentioned above ten qualities that the perfect pub should have and I know one pub that has eight of them. Even there, however, there is no draught stout, and no china mugs.

And if anyone knows of a pub that has draught stout, open fires, cheap meals, a garden, motherly barmaids and no radio, I should be glad to hear of it, even though its name were something as prosaic as the Red Lion or the Railway Arms.

Evening Standard, 9 February 1946

By *ife NinjaMan  over a year ago

Dunfermline

"If someone knows of such place in London or nearby, please let me know, I miss a fireplace "

You need to come North. You're most welcome

Dorchester

Two lovely pubs in Mile end set back from main road I immediately felt at home

By *urls and DressesWoman  over a year ago

Somewhere near here

I love my local village pub for the people that go in there. We have all sorts of events in there for example beer and carols in a couple of weeks. Whenever I walk in I’m hugged, insistence of a gin bought for me and everyone in there is involved in conversation.

However, the landlord is a grumpy douche and the decor is weird, for the atmosphere you’d expect a beautiful log burning country pub

London

"I refer you to George Orwell...

My favourite public-house, the Moon Under Water, is only two minutes from a bus stop, but it is on a side-street, and d*unks and rowdies never seem to find their way there, even on Saturday nights.

Its clientele, though fairly large, consists mostly of ‘regulars’ who occupy the same chair every evening and go there for conversation as much as for the beer.

If you are asked why you favour a particular public-house, it would seem natural to put the beer first, but the thing that most appeals to me about the Moon Under Water is what people call its ‘atmosphere’.

To begin with, its whole architecture and fittings are uncompromisingly Victorian. It has no glass-topped tables or other modern miseries, and, on the other hand, no sham roof-beams, ingle-nooks or plastic panels masquerading as oak. The grained woodwork, the ornamental mirrors behind the bar, the cast-iron fireplaces, the florid ceiling stained dark yellow by tobacco-smoke, the stuffed bull’s head over the mantelpiece — everything has the solid, comfortable ugliness of the nineteenth century.

In winter there is generally a good fire burning in at least two of the bars, and the Victorian lay-out of the place gives one plenty of elbow-room. There are a public bar, a saloon bar, a ladies’ bar, a bottle-and-jug for those who are too bashful to buy their supper beer publicly, and, upstairs, a dining-room.

Games are only played in the public, so that in the other bars you can walk about without constantly ducking to avoid flying darts.

In the Moon Under Water it is always quiet enough to talk. The house possesses neither a radio nor a piano, and even on Christmas Eve and such occasions the singing that happens is of a decorous kind.

The barmaids know most of their customers by name, and take a personal interest in everyone. They are all middle-aged women—two of them have their hair dyed in quite surprising shades—and they call everyone ‘dear,’ irrespective of age or sex. (‘Dear,’ not ‘Ducky’: pubs where the barmaid calls you ‘ducky’ always have a disagreeable raffish atmosphere.)

Unlike most pubs, the Moon Under Water sells tobacco as well as cigarettes, and it also sells aspirins and stamps, and is obliging about letting you use the telephone.

You cannot get dinner at the Moon Under Water, but there is always the snack counter where you can get liver-sausage sandwiches, mussels (a speciality of the house), cheese, pickles and those large biscuits with caraway seeds in them which only seem to exist in public-houses.

Upstairs, six days a week, you can get a good, solid lunch—for example, a cut off the joint, two vegetables and boiled jam roll—for about three shillings.

The special pleasure of this lunch is that you can have draught stout with it. I doubt whether as many as 10 per cent of London pubs serve draught stout, but the Moon Under Water is one of them. It is a soft, creamy sort of stout, and it goes better in a pewter pot.

They are particular about their drinking vessels at the Moon Under Water, and never, for example, make the mistake of serving a pint of beer in a handleless glass. Apart from glass and pewter mugs, they have some of those pleasant strawberry-pink china ones which are now seldom seen in London. China mugs went out about 30 years ago, because most people like their drink to be transparent, but in my opinion beer tastes better out of china.

The great surprise of the Moon Under Water is its garden. You go through a narrow passage leading out of the saloon, and find yourself in a fairly large garden with plane trees, under which there are little green tables with iron chairs round them. Up at one end of the garden there are swings and a chute for the children.

On summer evenings there are family parties, and you sit under the plane trees having beer or draught cider to the tune of delighted squeals from children going down the chute. The prams with the younger children are parked near the gate.

Many as are the virtues of the Moon Under Water, I think that the garden is its best feature, because it allows whole families to go there instead of Mum having to stay at home and mind the baby while Dad goes out alone.

And though, strictly speaking, they are only allowed in the garden, the children tend to seep into the pub and even to fetch drinks for their parents. This, I believe, is against the law, but it is a law that deserves to be broken, for it is the puritanical nonsense of excluding children—and therefore, to some extent, women—from pubs that has turned these places into mere boozing-shops instead of the family gathering-places that they ought to be.

The Moon Under Water is my ideal of what a pub should be—at any rate, in the London area. (The qualities one expects of a country pub are slightly different.)

But now is the time to reveal something which the discerning and disillusioned reader will probably have guessed already. There is no such place as the Moon Under Water.

That is to say, there may well be a pub of that name, but I don’t know of it, nor do I know any pub with just that combination of qualities.

I know pubs where the beer is good but you can’t get meals, others where you can get meals but which are noisy and crowded, and others which are quiet but where the beer is generally sour. As for gardens, offhand I can only think of three London pubs that possess them.

But, to be fair, I do know of a few pubs that almost come up to the Moon Under Water. I have mentioned above ten qualities that the perfect pub should have and I know one pub that has eight of them. Even there, however, there is no draught stout, and no china mugs.

And if anyone knows of a pub that has draught stout, open fires, cheap meals, a garden, motherly barmaids and no radio, I should be glad to hear of it, even though its name were something as prosaic as the Red Lion or the Railway Arms.

Evening Standard, 9 February 1946"

Wow, love this. Not sure about the liver sausages sandwiches though!

If you’ve not read his book ‘Down and out in Paris and London’ then I’d recommend…

"If someone knows of such place in London or nearby, please let me know, I miss a fireplace

You need to come North. You're most welcome "

That's very kind of you, thanks, but I was looking for something a bit more local

By *ack688Man  over a year ago

abruzzo Italy (and UK)

Walking distance

No tv

Good music, sensible volume

Good food

Great wine and cocktails list and bar staff who actually know how to make them properly

Somewhere that women would feel comfortable walking into by themselves and anyone hassling them gets turfed out

Loud groups of lads get told to calm it down or leave

No sporting event involvement

No ‘fun pub’ events

A fire in a ‘quiet room’ with very comfy armchairs so you can sit and read undisturbed with a drink if you want.

I don’t want much really

London

I’ll also throw in a pub that does a Ploughman’s for lunch, seems rare these days.

And a good roast on a Sunday (without being tight on the gravy).

By *elvet RopeMan  over a year ago

by the big field

No sky sports on 27 TV’s covering any flat surface

No loud MOR music or shitty juke box

No chavs or gobshites

No children

Dogs are welcome though and we’ll catered for

Decent range of lager (czech/Belgian/Italian and a local brand or two I’ve never tried is good- Carling/Carlsberg etc is just coloured water)

Barstaff that know how to mix a choice of decent cocktails- not just a pina colada with cheap juice or the ubiquitous pornstar martini

Beer garden or patio for summer - fire for winter

Decent pub food, not half a portion of pretentious nonsense, lost in the middle of a gigantic plate or a roof tile, with some unidentified fluid artistically wiped in to a shape that resembles the ego of some prat whose paying an idiot tax, so they post a picture of it on instabook to impress other muppets.

Decent pisser that doesn’t smell like a tramps sock is always a bonus

By *ad NannaWoman  over a year ago

East London

"Okay, so we all have our favourite boozer - be that our local or somewhere we’ve visited.

But if you were creating the perfect pub what would your prerequisite components be?

I’ll start off…

- A gruff, grumpy landlord who has questionable dress sense. You never know where you stand with him and there is a rumour that he’s ex special forces

- A roaring open fire that is on constantly (only reluctantly not used in the summer)

- bar snacks limited to 3 types of crisps (a cheap brand you’ve never heard of), KP nuts that are on one of those cards behind the bar that everytime one is bought it reveals a scantily clad model in swimwear, and pork scratchings

- a busty peroxide blonde barmaid that wears low cut tops and flirts outrageously

- bad patten carpets that have not been cleaned since the mid 80’s

- a resident cat / dog that sits under your table

- hanging baskets on the outside

- a TV that is only turned on for major events and even then reluctantly

Over to you to create the perfect British pub…"

You just describe my local back in the 90s

East London

The old geezer who sits in the corner nursing a pint of mild and bitter, who occasionally chats about the war and other adventures.

East London

I want a pub with a diverse range of patrons; all chatting to each other and get along swimmingly.

Occasionally a crowd of rugby supporters would bust in, singing away, and liven the place up.

Toilets would be on the ground floor.

By *yron69Man  over a year ago

Fareham

History, traditional decor, a landlord or landlady. A cellar, a ghost, a few locals, a great Sunday lunch and bar snacks. Decent beer.

London

"I want a pub with a diverse range of patrons; all chatting to each other and get along swimmingly.

Occasionally a crowd of rugby supporters would bust in, singing away, and liven the place up.

Toilets would be on the ground floor."

I guess the last point rules out most Weatherspoons where you need an oxygen mask to get up to the loos!

People

-Wobbly stools and tables

-Old brass work hanging from stone walls and ceiling beams, -old farming tools hanging on chimney breast,

-Old jamjar beer glasses

By *hePerkyPumpkinTV/TS  over a year ago

Bristol

Smoking indoors

East London

"I want a pub with a diverse range of patrons; all chatting to each other and get along swimmingly.

Toilets would be on the ground floor.

I guess the last point rules out most Weatherspoons where you need an oxygen mask to get up to the loos! "

The climb of doom.

I use the disabled toilets; even the one positioned right underneath the television showing the rugby

East London

"Smoking indoors"

You really wouldn't want that.

Coming home with your hair stinking of cigarettes was not a good night out.

By *anilla-sinCouple  over a year ago

lancs

"Wow, love this. Not sure about the liver sausages sandwiches though!

If you’ve not read his book ‘Down and out in Paris and London’ then I’d recommend…"

Yeah, Love everything written by Orwell.. I think his essays are among his best work.. imho

A pub by a station.

A good selection of craft beers, ciders and gins.

Non clique bar staff who can multi task and remember without picking out their mates first. But can flirt and have a conversation with.

At least two female gothic/ emo pale skinned type tattooed staff wearing regulation low cut tops and arse skimming skirts.

Sunday roast. Note, no attempts to modernize it with coloured carrots or kale etc. Its not natural.

Sports on TV and pool tables at one end away from families.

A good beer garden with a good playground for the kids.

Music tastes varied but not too loud to drown a conversation.

Live music on a Friday night.

Quiz on a Monday,

Open for brunch for the mummy mafia to let the babies and toddlers enjoy their freedoms while the mum's have a gossip food and drink.

By *an4funMan  over a year ago

london

A large selection of draught stouts and porters. Open until 6am on a Friday with an acid house dj playing tunes

» Add a new message to this topic