FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Procrastinating

Procrastinating

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

Help. I’m here in the forums, no motivation to do any of my work, work that definitely needs doing, barely any to read the contents of my inbox on here, even…ughhhh. Why can’t I get on and achieve more with my days?!

Does anyone else feel like this, attention span of a goldfish, no desire to do things, despite knowing it’ll only come back and bite you later?

And if not, what do you do to keep focused?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *bi HaiveMan  over a year ago
Forum Mod

Cheeseville, Somerset

Yep.

Been thinking of starting a thread on this very subject for months now, just never got round to it.

A

By *eroLondonMan  over a year ago

Mayfair

This is a trap I often fall into a few times a week. I'm an infallible procrastinator, lacking any verve to focus on work. I take timed intervals to actually do some work (as opposed to the other way around!) and it helps. Because otherwise I would neglect work totally to the detriment of my job. It's a recent thing: over the last six months, and not something I've experienced before.

By *enrietteandSamCouple  over a year ago

Staffordshire

It’s a procrastinating kind of day here too.

Wet and cold outside so we’re sofa bound!

Don’t beat yourself up about it but maybe set yourself some time limit goals.

Another good way is to earn your time by doing as much as you can before logging on, set yourself tasks to do and don’t stop until you’ve done.

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

I'll update later when i get around to it if I can be bothered

By *rincess peachWoman  over a year ago

shits creek

On the daily.

I know I'd feel "better" if I achieved but part of me wonders if its a form of self harm. A subconscious head fuck.

Tell myself I've earned the rest or doing fuck all on my days off is self care coz I've exhausted myself at work, but in reality I do feel shit for it.

Do this all the time.

Tends ti be on boring tasks. Or stuff I don't really want to do (often because im not quite sure what I'm going to do)

No real solutions other than adult up and eat your Brussel sprouts.

By *red333Man  over a year ago

Dorchester

"Help. I’m here in the forums, no motivation to do any of my work, work that definitely needs doing, barely any to read the contents of my inbox on here, even…ughhhh. Why can’t I get on and achieve more with my days?!

Does anyone else feel like this, attention span of a goldfish, no desire to do things, despite knowing it’ll only come back and bite you later?

And if not, what do you do to keep focused?"

you need me to keep you motivated it's the only way

By *rHotNottsMan  over a year ago

Dubai & Nottingham

I’ve never relied on how I feel , motivation , positive thinking or any other pop psychology to get things done. Even if it works at the start it’s short lived.

Design your environment & life for the outcomes you truly want. Design in some ‘friction’ to stop yourself doing the wring things! and a bit of ‘lubricant’ to make the right things a little easier…. Structure determine results more than your will

I struggle with this, too. Sometimes I get a power hour where I sort the whole house out, usually at midnight

It’s been recommended to me, to try a timer, in particular, one that you turn and can see.

Set it to 10 minutes. Make it into a game, how much can you get done? It’s meant to help with dopamine.

I should really buy a timer, instead of procrastinating on the forums lol

By *ou only live onceMan  over a year ago

London

Yes! I can be a terrible procrastinator, especially if I don't consider something important. At work, it's worse the less busy I am/more time I have for a task. I think I need the pressure to focus the mind.

Not sure I have any particular advice though - I just tend to ride it out as I know I'll eventually get going again...

By *weet and SpiceCouple  over a year ago

Around the Midlands

Quite often and to be honest fab doesn't help as it's so easy to put those other tasks off and get on this!

Oh well!

"Help. I’m here in the forums, no motivation to do any of my work, work that definitely needs doing, barely any to read the contents of my inbox on here, even…ughhhh. Why can’t I get on and achieve more with my days?!

I do this at times. Other times I'm on it.

I found timing myself for certain jobs can help me. Once I know how long they take I tell myself 'it'll only take me (insert time here) then I can do what I want'. Then a reward... Like a cup of tea or a snack, or something else I like doing.

Or I write a to do list and just get pure satisfaction from crossing out what I've done and watching the list disappear knowing once it's done I can go on strike legitimately.

Other times I wonder off and go do something I want to achieve that isn't a priority and then rush round doing the other essential stuff after.

Always start with the hardest or worst job first just to get it out of the way. It usually drags down the motivation but once it's clear your motivation will go up again.

Put your phone in a another room and tell yourself you can go get it at a certain time. In the meantime see how many jobs you can complete between now and then.

Failing that go give yourself an orgasm, that works for me quite often.

T

I’m curious, have any if you looked into ADHD? X

By *thfloorCouple  over a year ago

Hove

"I’ve never relied on how I feel , motivation , positive thinking or any other pop psychology to get things done. Even if it works at the start it’s short lived.

Design your environment & life for the outcomes you truly want. Design in some ‘friction’ to stop yourself doing the wring things! and a bit of ‘lubricant’ to make the right things a little easier…. Structure determine results more than your will "

Some practical examples of err friction and lubricant?

I do a cheeky workout when I'm feeling demotivated and usually sets me back on track but yeah, cold winter days are easy to just want to snuggle up to!

I'd entertain you redfordanger!

"I’ve never relied on how I feel , motivation , positive thinking or any other pop psychology to get things done. Even if it works at the start it’s short lived.

Design your environment & life for the outcomes you truly want. Design in some ‘friction’ to stop yourself doing the wring things! and a bit of ‘lubricant’ to make the right things a little easier…. Structure determine results more than your will

Some practical examples of err friction and lubricant? "

I know a few natural healthy cheap remedies there!

By *thfloorCouple  over a year ago

Hove

"I struggle with this, too. Sometimes I get a power hour where I sort the whole house out, usually at midnight

It’s been recommended to me, to try a timer, in particular, one that you turn and can see.

Set it to 10 minutes. Make it into a game, how much can you get done? It’s meant to help with dopamine.

I should really buy a timer, instead of procrastinating on the forums lol"

..or use the timer on your phone? To try it out at least.

"I struggle with this, too. Sometimes I get a power hour where I sort the whole house out, usually at midnight

I should really buy a timer, instead of procrastinating on the forums lol

..or use the timer on your phone? To try it out at least."

Yeh or Alexa. I think the point was, if it’s out of site, it’s out of mind. If you can see something ticking, it can help with motivation. So I’m told haha I have none!!

Yep thats daily life a dog chasing cars

By *imi_RougeWoman  over a year ago

Portsmouth

Yes... I'm terrible for this. I just find things overwhelming some days.

Today all I've done is have a shower, get dressed, and made some cheese scones. That's me done for the day.

There's a whole heap of stuff I could be doing while I'm stuck indoors.

It's not for everyone, but I find writing lists helps, then at least if I tick one thing off that list, I've achieved something!

Also going out for a walk first, then doing any essential chores the minute I get in helps, before I sit down and relax.

By *hePerkyPumpkinTV/TS  over a year ago

Bristol

Yes, wholeheartedly, all the time

"Yes... I'm terrible for this. I just find things overwhelming some days.

Today all I've done is have a shower, get dressed, and made some cheese scones. That's me done for the day.

It's not for everyone, but I find writing lists helps, then at least if I tick one thing off that list, I've achieved something!

Also going out for a walk first, then doing any essential chores the minute I get in helps, before I sit down and relax. "

I’ve heard that keeping your shoes on, can help, too. Again, not tried it!

By *ad NannaWoman  over a year ago

East London

I prioritise.

What has to be done gets done.

Mundane tasks first, if it's on a PC.

Physical stuff is prioritised by who needs what first.

By *odgerMooreMan  over a year ago

Carlisle

Normally the catastrophes that occur every day tend to keep me focussed. I thought today would be a lovely ease Into the week… was wrong again. chaos… from order with out doing anything it all turns to crap.

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

Also going out for a walk first, then doing any essential chores the minute I get in helps, before I sit down and relax. "

That’s a really good word for how I feel too - overwhelmed. I know I won’t do things well, so I don’t even start. And I feel SO bad about it.

Also going out for a walk first, then doing any essential chores the minute I get in helps, before I sit down and relax.

That’s a really good word for how I feel too - overwhelmed. I know I won’t do things well, so I don’t even start. And I feel SO bad about it."

Don't be so hard on yourself you are absolutely not alone!

And I'm sure you would do those things well, whatever you mean by that. If it's work related, ask for help! It's 2022 we are entitled to it!

Hard work and effort might pay off later. Who knows. Procrastination pays off RIGHT NOW.

» Add a new message to this topic