FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Kevin Sinfield and MND Charity

Kevin Sinfield and MND Charity

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *ovespuds OP   Man  over a year ago

Swindon

What an amazing man, running from Edinburgh to Manchester on an indirect route in just 7 days.

His aim to raise £777,777.77 for MND Association and other MND charities.

BBC are covering his run and I was reduced to tears to see him with former rugby players that have been struck down by MND.

I made a donation straight away despite being retired due to I'll health myself.

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *ittlemissmistressKCouple  over a year ago

Southampton

Absolutely amazing achievement.. MND is a horrific disease hopefully treatments for it will be found in the near future

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

How hes not a knight il never understand he is the type of man a knighthood should have stood for before all the politics and corruption he fights for his brother his friend and asks for nothing for himself but more people to help his friend

If i were to call any man my hero which iv never done before it would be him

His loyalty is unshakable

By *ittlemissmistressKCouple  over a year ago

Southampton

Well said

By *cloversCouple  over a year ago

Hull

"How hes not a knight il never understand he is the type of man a knighthood should have stood for before all the politics and corruption he fights for his brother his friend and asks for nothing for himself but more people to help his friend "

Spot on. He has never wavered from his friendship with Rob - he is a giant amongst men

By *cloversCouple  over a year ago

Hull

[Removed by poster at 19/11/22 09:26:35]

By *ackformore100Man  over a year ago

Tin town

"What an amazing man, running from Edinburgh to Manchester on an indirect route in just 7 days.

BBC are covering his run and I was reduced to tears to see him with former rugby players that have been struck down by MND.

I made a donation straight away despite being retired due to I'll health myself. "

100 % agree. What a hideous disease. What's so disgraceful (if you watched the rwl world Cup at all) is still the way head injuries are created (by the laws), treated (by ignoring them). We know so much more now and the sports need to change. And as you said... More power to those and their families suffering with this horrendous disease.

By *abs..Woman  over a year ago

He has been an incredible support for his friend and the family, unwavering. Along the way raising so much money and awareness of this horrible condition. He’s a friend to have in your corner for sure

Tin town

"How hes not a knight il never understand he is the type of man a knighthood should have stood for before all the politics and corruption he fights for his brother his friend and asks for nothing for himself but more people to help his friend "

Absolutely... And the likes of Doddie Weir, Carl Weir, Joost van der Westhuizen (sadly passed). Its a brutal disease.

Swindon

His appeal has just gone over the £1 million mark.

The man deserves royal recognition for his efforts.

Arise Sir Kev ...

By *KG12Couple  over a year ago

Burnley

Deserves every accolade he receives. Unbelievable example of selflessness, loyalty, friendship etc

Tin town

Great thread too op. Nice to see.

By *nterblueMan  over a year ago

manchester

What this guy has done for raising awareness of MND, funding and out and out loyalty to his best mate is truly amazing.

Such an inspiration.

Swindon

I'm not a fan of BBC Breakfast TV, but I'm glued for the live updates of Kevin and his teams run.

I don't watch the BBC but I've been reading up on his progress, what a guy,he's an amazing person

This is such an important cause. I do hope that you all donate what you can afford. This mans great effort must not be in vain.

My friend died of this disease in 2021. Just watching it take him bit by bit was horrific. It wasn't instant. They said 5 years and 5 years it was. At the time the last new medication for MND occurred in 1984.

By *ehindHerEyesCouple  over a year ago

SomewhereOnlyWeKnow

He's absolutely amazing in what he is doing! It's a charity that's close to my heart as my colleague's father passed away from mnd and we do all we can to fundraise for it as its not a well known or recognised disease. His highlighting of it is going to help so much!

Tg x

Tin town

Just fyi... Gloucester are playing Leicester in June for the Ed Slater Cup. Another player suffering with MND.

Swindon

Kev Sinfield should be knighted for his amazing charity work.

So many sleeze bags out there that have been knighted simply for being rich arseholes.

Just my opinion

A few years ago I watched doddie weir walk out in murryafield with his sons, then I heard about Rob burrows and saw his documentary a few weeks ago I saw the documentary by Steve Thompson. I sat there tears flowing. I watched all these guys play and cheered for and against them. Rob and Steve are my age both have very young families who weren't old enough to know dad was a star for their clubs and countries. All those kids know is that dad isn't well it's heartbreaking. Kevin Sinfields love of his brother is awe inspiring. I'm looking forward to the rugby league World Cup final today. I'm dreading half time because I know I will be in tears. I love rugby I hate what's happening to its players and seeing the damage it causes. Doddie Weir, Rob Burrows, Steve Thompson were strong men in their careers since they retired they have unwillingly become heroes. Hopefully their stories and the monumental efforts of Kevin Sinfield will have an effect on safety for players in rugby.

Tin town

"Kev Sinfield should be knighted for his amazing charity work.

So many sleeze bags out there that have been knighted simply for being rich arseholes.

Just my opinion "

Absolutely agree.

Tin town

"A few years ago I watched doddie weir walk out in murryafield with his sons, then I heard about Rob burrows and saw his documentary a few weeks ago I saw the documentary by Steve Thompson. I sat there tears flowing. I watched all these guys play and cheered for and against them. Rob and Steve are my age both have very young families who weren't old enough to know dad was a star for their clubs and countries. All those kids know is that dad isn't well it's heartbreaking. Kevin Sinfields love of his brother is awe inspiring. I'm looking forward to the rugby league World Cup final today. I'm dreading half time because I know I will be in tears. I love rugby I hate what's happening to its players and seeing the damage it causes. Doddie Weir, Rob Burrows, Steve Thompson were strong men in their careers since they retired they have unwillingly become heroes. Hopefully their stories and the monumental efforts of Kevin Sinfield will have an effect on safety for players in rugby. "

I hear you brother.

Couldn't have written it better myself. The BBC interview with a crippled and dying Joost opened my eyes to it. A beautiful beast of a man reduced to being barely able to speak.

He said there are two things that we take for granted. 1 is our health and 2 is our time. And eventually we run out of both.

This afternoons matches will see at least 5 players unable to complete the game due to a head injury.

I saw your post about Ed slater. I maybe wrong but Kevin Sinfield said he was doing the run for Rob, doddie and Ed this time. But because of the distance he couldn't manage to get from Murray field and Newcastle for doddie to Leeds and old Trafford for Rob and also get to Gloucester.

After watching the Steve Thompson documentary I couldn't find it in myself to watch rugby for 6 weeks. It was Ireland v sa that I couldn't resist.

"Kev Sinfield should be knighted for his amazing charity work.

Just my opinion "

I cant help thinking that if Kevin Seinfeld had played the other code of Rugby, he might have already been honoured?

But i have no doubt he will be getting honoured very soon. Maybe in the NY's honours list. (Although i know its not something he's too interested in)

"What an amazing man, running from Edinburgh to Manchester on an indirect route in just 7 days.

I made a donation straight away despite being retired due to I'll health myself.

100 % agree. What a hideous disease. What's so disgraceful (if you watched the rwl world Cup at all) is still the way head injuries are created (by the laws), treated (by ignoring them). We know so much more now and the sports need to change. And as you said... More power to those and their families suffering with this horrendous disease. "

Correct me if im wrong, but Rugby isnt the cause of MND, is it??

I thought they had no idea what causes it.

With the exception of it being genetic.

100 % agree. What a hideous disease. What's so disgraceful (if you watched the rwl world Cup at all) is still the way head injuries are created (by the laws), treated (by ignoring them). We know so much more now and the sports need to change. And as you said... More power to those and their families suffering with this horrendous disease.

With the exception of it being genetic."

Genetics play a part as they do in all illnesses and diseases. But there are a lot of studies being done or done that have shown contact sports can be a trigger and/or a cause for earlier onset more aggressive (for want of a better word) forms of mnd, alzheimers etc. It's also not just rugby that is seeing this. Obviously boxing and all martial type sports, American nfl, and also soccer which they believe is related to heading the ball. Alan Shearer did a documentary about this and as a high profile example a lot of England's 1966 team have suffered one form or another of these illnesses. Sport itself isn't the sole reason but it's contributing to it because of lack of knowledge and a lack of player welfare from clubs and unions

Tin town

With the exception of it being genetic.

Genetics play a part as they do in all illnesses and diseases. But there are a lot of studies being done or done that have shown contact sports can be a trigger and/or a cause for earlier onset more aggressive (for want of a better word) forms of mnd, alzheimers etc. It's also not just rugby that is seeing this. Obviously boxing and all martial type sports, American nfl, and also soccer which they believe is related to heading the ball. Alan Shearer did a documentary about this and as a high profile example a lot of England's 1966 team have suffered one form or another of these illnesses. Sport itself isn't the sole reason but it's contributing to it because of lack of knowledge and a lack of player welfare from clubs and unions "

Tbh.. The authorities are dancing around the issue.. And have been for 20 years. Its disgraceful.

By *he Running Man 2022Man  over a year ago

Shipley, Bradford

As everyone else has said, he's a legend and should be nailed on for a knighthood.

7 ultras in 7 days is just mindblowing.

I'm running the Leeds Marathon, in 2023 for Rob Burrow and MND, and that's daunting enough. I cant even comprehend running 7 consecutive ultra marathons

"As everyone else has said, he's a legend and should be nailed on for a knighthood.

I'm running the Leeds Marathon, in 2023 for Rob Burrow and MND, and that's daunting enough. I cant even comprehend running 7 consecutive ultra marathons "

Good on you. Hope it goes well

By *he Running Man 2022Man  over a year ago

Shipley, Bradford

"As everyone else has said, he's a legend and should be nailed on for a knighthood.

I'm running the Leeds Marathon, in 2023 for Rob Burrow and MND, and that's daunting enough. I cant even comprehend running 7 consecutive ultra marathons

Good on you. Hope it goes well "

Thank you. Need to start training next month

By *ull English with teaMan  over a year ago

London

The man is a total legend - I was at the RL World Cup final yesterday and he came out at half time and gave an amazing speech, was very emotional.

By *cidcassual88Man  over a year ago

Glasshoughton

"

Correct me if im wrong, but Rugby isn't the cause of MND, is it isn't

With the exception of it being genetic."

No its not that coursed with impacted when been tackled say at 25mph and a 20st prop running at you,

MND Is Genetic, there is about is it 4 or 5 diffrent version of it you can have, And it is linked to a few things as there is on one answer to what starts it,

experience, including:

A stressful lifestyle or particularly stressful events

Diet

Exposure to chemicals (especially in agricultural work and on food, but also when working as a firefighter and installing industrial machinery)

Exercise, sport and sports injuries

Other injury (including head injuries and leg injuries)

Previous chemotherapy and surgery

Medication for depression

Amalgam teeth fillings

Throat infections, viruses

Lyme disease

Genetics

Frequent travelling (including muscle cramps caused by sitting still for long periods).

By *ickdasterdly51Man  over a year ago

Lingfield

I also had the privilege of seeing him at half time yesterday, for me it was the highlight of the afternoon. Incredible man and a fantastic ovation from everyone in the ground. Put everything else into perspective.

» Add a new message to this topic