FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Camera doorbells

Camera doorbells

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *litterbabe OP   Woman  over a year ago

hiding from cock pics.

I'm slightly put off getting one of these as I don't want everyone living in my house notified when someone arrives to visit me at the front door, although I do think it's such a great way to keep a home secure.

I just wonder has anybody else had any issues with keeping a private lifestyle and also having a video camera style doorbell?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *heHertsGuyMan  over a year ago

Hertford

I live alone so not an issue for me but not everyone in the house has to have access to the app and videos.

You have to invite others to access the video footage which is good. At least on the ring one anyway.

By *icecouple561Couple  over a year ago
Forum Mod

East Sussex

We don't have one but wouldn't the other people in your house know you had a visitor anyway.

hiding from cock pics.

I wouldn't necessarily want other family members (who would have access to the app) alerted when they were out.

I believe they still get alerts so they can see people at the door when they are not home.

(This is not a cheating situation btw, my personal situation is not of that nature).

By *red333Man  over a year ago

Dorchester

"I'm slightly put off getting one of these as I don't want everyone living in my house notified when someone arrives to visit me at the front door, although I do think it's such a great way to keep a home secure.

I just wonder has anybody else had any issues with keeping a private lifestyle and also having a video camera style doorbell?"

you film them not them you

Dorchester

"I'm slightly put off getting one of these as I don't want everyone living in my house notified when someone arrives to visit me at the front door, although I do think it's such a great way to keep a home secure.

I just wonder has anybody else had any issues with keeping a private lifestyle and also having a video camera style doorbell?you film them not them you "

ahhhh the app notifications just have them on your phone

Forum Mod

East Sussex

"I wouldn't necessarily want other family members (who would have access to the app) alerted when they were out.

I believe they still get alerts so they can see people at the door when they are not home.

(This is not a cheating situation btw, my personal situation is not of that nature).

"

I understand.

I don't know the answer I'm afraid.

I do know that there has been a spate of attempted burglaries in our area recently and the video doorbell footage of the people thought to be responsible is circulating on Facebook. I'm not sure how I feel about that. I've also seen doorbell footage bon the net that scares the hell out of me

By *atricia ParnelWoman  over a year ago

In a town full of colours

I'd do a delivery man roleplay with one if in that situation

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

You can switch the camera off. It doesn’t notify you unless you go onto the app to check the camera.

By *bi HaiveMan  over a year ago
Forum Mod

Cheeseville, Somerset

We have one and yes you get an alert on the app, so the only way to maintain control is for you to have sole access.

You can also live view at any time and it either records to the cloud or to a local storage device.

Great invention. We only got one as all couriers now just dump stuff without even ringing the bell, so if anything was to go missing we can prove it was nicked.

A

By *entlemanrogueMan  over a year ago

Motherwell

The idea of them is ok in principle, however i heard that amazon have been allowing police ( US) to access owners video footage , without giving the owners prior knowledge. i also feel it is somewhat infringing on the privacy of neighbours, especially if their door is directly facing.

i wont be buying one

Forum Mod

East Sussex

"The idea of them is ok in principle, however i heard that amazon have been allowing police ( US) to access owners video footage , without giving the owners prior knowledge. i also feel it is somewhat infringing on the privacy of neighbours, especially if their door is directly facing.

i wont be buying one"

Yes I'm conflicted when it comes to the privacy aspect. No neighbours would be filmed if we had one though. I'm not 100% happy with posting videos of suspected burglars on Facebook either. It could lead to all sorts of problems, mistaken identity, revenge posts etc

By *ex HolesMan  over a year ago

Up North

Who’s arriving at your door that you don’t want your family to know about OP?

Forum Mod

Cheeseville, Somerset

"The idea of them is ok in principle, however i heard that amazon have been allowing police ( US) to access owners video footage , without giving the owners prior knowledge. i also feel it is somewhat infringing on the privacy of neighbours, especially if their door is directly facing.

i wont be buying one

Yes I'm conflicted when it comes to the privacy aspect. No neighbours would be filmed if we had one though. I'm not 100% happy with posting videos of suspected burglars on Facebook either. It could lead to all sorts of problems, mistaken identity, revenge posts etc"

Sorry - it's a long cut and paste job, but here are the rules on domestic CCTV from the ICO.

"Only keep the footage for as long as you need it – delete it regularly, and when it is no longer needed.

Ensure the CCTV system is only operated in ways you intend and can’t be misused for other reasons. Anyone you share your property with, such as family members who could use the equipment, needs to know the importance of not misusing it.

You also need to make sure you respect the data protection rights of the people whose images you capture. This includes the following things:

Responding to subject access requests (SARs), if you receive any. Individuals have a right to access the personal data you hold about them, including identifiable images. They can ask you verbally or in writing. You must respond within one month and give them a copy of the data.

Deleting footage of people if they ask you to do so. You should do this within one month. You can refuse to delete it if you specifically need to keep it for a genuine legal dispute – in which case you need to tell them this, and also tell them they can challenge this in court or complain to the ICO.

Consider any objection you get now from particular people about capturing their image in the future. Given the nature of CCTV systems, this may be very difficult to do. However, you should again think whether you need to record images beyond your property boundary – particularly if your system is capturing images from a neighbour’s home or garden."

No need to register and unless you are using recordings for ulterior motives you have minimal risk of ever getting in trouble. Never advisable to publish any content online on social media as the only real reason you should be using CCTV is for protection purposes. The only people other than yourselves that should ever see footage are the police or insurance companies.

A

By *ichaelangelaCouple  over a year ago

notts

Ahhh the camera doorbell.

Always nice to see the masked hooded person who’s burgling your home while you’re miles away and can do nothing about it.

Forum Mod

East Sussex

"Ahhh the camera doorbell.

Always nice to see the masked hooded person who’s burgling your home while you’re miles away and can do nothing about it. "

I suppose you could call the police.

Forum Mod

East Sussex

i wont be buying one

Yes I'm conflicted when it comes to the privacy aspect. No neighbours would be filmed if we had one though. I'm not 100% happy with posting videos of suspected burglars on Facebook either. It could lead to all sorts of problems, mistaken identity, revenge posts etc

Sorry - it's a long cut and paste job, but here are the rules on domestic CCTV from the ICO.

"Only keep the footage for as long as you need it – delete it regularly, and when it is no longer needed.

Ensure the CCTV system is only operated in ways you intend and can’t be misused for other reasons. Anyone you share your property with, such as family members who could use the equipment, needs to know the importance of not misusing it.

You also need to make sure you respect the data protection rights of the people whose images you capture. This includes the following things:

Responding to subject access requests (SARs), if you receive any. Individuals have a right to access the personal data you hold about them, including identifiable images. They can ask you verbally or in writing. You must respond within one month and give them a copy of the data.

Deleting footage of people if they ask you to do so. You should do this within one month. You can refuse to delete it if you specifically need to keep it for a genuine legal dispute – in which case you need to tell them this, and also tell them they can challenge this in court or complain to the ICO.

Consider any objection you get now from particular people about capturing their image in the future. Given the nature of CCTV systems, this may be very difficult to do. However, you should again think whether you need to record images beyond your property boundary – particularly if your system is capturing images from a neighbour’s home or garden."

No need to register and unless you are using recordings for ulterior motives you have minimal risk of ever getting in trouble. Never advisable to publish any content online on social media as the only real reason you should be using CCTV is for protection purposes. The only people other than yourselves that should ever see footage are the police or insurance companies.

A"

Thanks for that.

The local Facebook group might do well to read it

By *ichaelangelaCouple  over a year ago

notts

Always nice to see the masked hooded person who’s burgling your home while you’re miles away and can do nothing about it.

I suppose you could call the police. "

And be put on the waiting list

Forum Mod

East Sussex

And be put on the waiting list "

Exactly!

Forum Mod

Cheeseville, Somerset

i wont be buying one

A

Thanks for that.

The local Facebook group might do well to read it "

It's common for people to post them on Facey.

Not advisable as it can affect investigations and the police aren't fans.

Plus you're advertising the fact you have a video doorbell so it's likely to get smashed or nicked.

Some of the footage is so poor quality you can't tell if whoever is on it is a 6ft white woman in her 20's or a 5ft 1" 75 year old black guy with a wooden leg.

A

Forum Mod

Cheeseville, Somerset

Always nice to see the masked hooded person who’s burgling your home while you’re miles away and can do nothing about it. "

You can talk to them live though.

Tell them where all the wife's jewellery is from Elizabeth Duke at Argos and that the Rembrandt on the wall is a fake by a bloke called Dave down the pub.

A

hiding from cock pics.

I believe that you can schedule certain hours for them to be off too, so not everyone in the house needs to be alerted that one of the teenagers has stumbled home the middle of the night, but I guess in some ways, that defeats the purpose of keeping the home secure.

By *.nottsbloke..Man  over a year ago

nottinghamshire

As a delivery driver I hate them. Also dont like them on a fun visit to someones house

Forum Mod

Cheeseville, Somerset

"I believe that you can schedule certain hours for them to be off too, so not everyone in the house needs to be alerted that one of the teenagers has stumbled home the middle of the night, but I guess in some ways, that defeats the purpose of keeping the home secure."

You can activate/deactivate them whenever you want from the app. So if you're expecting company just turn it off before they arrive and on again once they leave.

You don't get a notification when it's switched on/off and no footage will be recorded. An easy solution if you don't want evidence of certain 'visitors' coming and going.

A

Forum Mod

Cheeseville, Somerset

"As a delivery driver I hate them. Also dont like them on a fun visit to someones house "

Surely you should like them? It prevents any false claims that you didn't deliver or just threw someone's package at the door/over a fence?

They protect delivery drivers as much as residents.

A

By *andyfloss2000Woman  over a year ago

ashford

Have one yes others can see whoes at the door! But I'm OK with that! Worse was the 360 app I have for safety! Went to first club near on year ago! And got ousted! But at end of day kids are adults and they must appreciate I have a life! What's left of it anyways lol x

By *r Discreet 75Man  over a year ago

LIVERPOOL

My neighbour has one I've already had issues with her following me and knocking me up at all hours in the morning it's a bit off putting I just hope I don't do something daft when I come home d*unk and she'll have it recorded

"As a delivery driver I hate them. Also dont like them on a fun visit to someones house

Surely you should like them? It prevents any false claims that you didn't deliver or just threw someone's package at the door/over a fence?

A"

They never bloody use them

Delivery drivers knock the door and leg it

ashford

Mind u it doesn't record the things I want to see for some reason! The person yesterday who let their dog shite on the path 6ft away from doorbell camera! Same as my blink kitchen camera never catches the dog taking a dump on floor ! And as have 2 dogs don't know who to tell of! Although have my suspicion which one it is x

Forum Mod

Cheeseville, Somerset

"As a delivery driver I hate them. Also dont like them on a fun visit to someones house

A

They never bloody use them

Delivery drivers knock the door and leg it "

Yep. That's why we got ours. We'll be sat on the sofa and no bell will ring, but we'll get an email saying it's been delievered!

Ours is motion activated so they don't have to push the doorbell for it to record.

A

By *arkandlovelyWoman  over a year ago

South Derbyshire

I have one. My front door is on the street so it's great for listening to the conversations of passers by.

hiding from cock pics.

Are there any particular brands people would recommend or to stay away from, as looking into it there are quite a few available.

I want one that I can control using Google on my android phone, (I use Google I don't have Alexa), I can can set for a certain schedule and I can turn off if needed. I've also seen that some of them need a subscription and I really don't want to pay another subscription for anything, as it seems unnecessary, as there are plenty without a subscription.

Recommendations welcome.

Forum Mod

Cheeseville, Somerset

"Are there any particular brands people would recommend or to stay away from, as looking into it there are quite a few available.

I want one that I can control using Google on my android phone, (I use Google I don't have Alexa), I can can set for a certain schedule and I can turn off if needed. I've also seen that some of them need a subscription and I really don't want to pay another subscription for anything, as it seems unnecessary, as there are plenty without a subscription.

Recommendations welcome."

Blink cameras (even though sold by amazon) can be linked to android phones and if you get the sync module then there's no subscription. You just plug a USB stick in to it for local storage.

On offer at the mo on a black Friday deal.

A

And be put on the waiting list "

A friend on here has one, works away from home. Got an alert, accessed his cameras, some guy trying the door, contacted police in his area and shortly after, the guy was in custody. I got one after trouble with an ex. Gives me great peace of mind. Its set so it only covers my property so not filming neighbours or passers by.

By *ust RachelTV/TS  over a year ago

Horsham

I wonder how good these doorbells and wifi security systems are, when we have a 3 hour power cut?

I know it is illegal, but can a singal blocker stop them from working?

By *eroLondonMan  over a year ago

Mayfair

I have a "Google NEST Hello" WiFi video doorbell (battery).

Caller/visitor announcements are made to your phone and/or a smart speaker. It's very good!

By *ig1gaz1Man  over a year ago

bradford

Camera doorbells are a good thing except when your hit with a privacy take down notice.

Why because your camera covers next door garden/pathway

Remember cameras are supposed to cover your property not anyone elses.

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/uk-news/brits-video-doorbells-installed-incorrectly-21861280

ashford

"I have a "Google NEST Hello" WiFi video doorbell (battery).

Caller/visitor announcements are made to your phone and/or a smart speaker. It's very good!"

My ring bell does this to my phone and alexa! Only annoying thing is it stops what I'm watching on the TV x

By *aul_j80Man  over a year ago

Playa del Inglés

Do a plumber role play, "good afternoon madame I've come to fix your dish washer" but I don't have a dish washer, ok lets bang!

ashford

And the another annoying thing is when a ring doorbell add comes on radio dogs are convinced there's someone at the door x

By *edfred77Couple  over a year ago

warrington

I found if you turn wifi off then turn it back on after your visitor has left..no notifications sent to any phones(the wifes)

By *adyHWoman  over a year ago

South Glos

I’m unfortunately living back with my parents and when they’re away and I have ‘visitors’ I turn the wifi off! Seems to work

Playa del Inglés

Or tell the person not to ring the bell before hand.

ashford

"Or tell the person not to ring the bell before hand."

Still detects and films x

By *d59michelleTV/TS  over a year ago

walsall

"Are there any particular brands people would recommend or to stay away from, as looking into it there are quite a few available.

Recommendations welcome."

Tapo cameras indoor or outdoor ones are quite cheap and often reduced in Argos no contracts

Often thought what's to stop anyone smashing or nicking a door bell camera

South Derbyshire

Recommendations welcome.

Tapo cameras indoor or outdoor ones are quite cheap and often reduced in Argos no contracts

Often thought what's to stop anyone smashing or nicking a door bell camera"

Why steal something with virtually no resale value which literally records you doing it? It's just pointless.

Forum Mod

Cheeseville, Somerset

Recommendations welcome.

Why steal something with virtually no resale value which literally records you doing it? It's just pointless."

Plus it will record whoever is doing it....

A

By *innamon!Woman  over a year ago

no matter

Don’t give anyone else the log in details . I have a few cams around the house but only I have access to them and notifications. My ole man doesn’t

I just wonder has anybody else had any issues with keeping a private lifestyle and also having a video camera style doorbell?"

Yes I just sneak them in the back door

South Derbyshire

Recommendations welcome.

Why steal something with virtually no resale value which literally records you doing it? It's just pointless.

Plus it will record whoever is doing it....

A"

Do I hear an echo?

walsall

[Removed by poster at 20/11/22 07:02:55]

walsall

Was thinking more about the burglar about to rob you removing it rather than anyone just nicking the camera

Most featured on the caught on camera shows tend to cover their faces anyway

By * lolita xWoman  over a year ago

North

"I wouldn't necessarily want other family members (who would have access to the app) alerted when they were out.

"

Switch it off if they are out

Dorchester

Recommendations welcome.

Why steal something with virtually no resale value which literally records you doing it? It's just pointless."

people will steal the clothes off your back

By *it4uMan  over a year ago

Brighton / Eastbourne

It’s what the back door is for

By *aughty Couple ABCCouple  over a year ago

West Bromwich

Our son has bought and fitted one (he still lives here). He has the app and this has seriously hampered our lifestyle!

He'd be able to see who called, and when either of us go out.

HELP!!!

"Or tell the person not to ring the bell before hand.

Still detects and films x"

Only if you set it up to do that and pay the subscription to keep the recording

We have a ring doorbell, it's fantastic. There's only 2 of us in the house, we both have access to it. Sometimes i turn off notifications when i have a sleeping grandchild in the house.

Ours is excellent and when (someone close to us) tried to break in the house and was abusive outside, the footage was given to the police who prosecuted them. We now also have one of the ring cameras in our back garden too.

I find i feel safer because i can check who's at the door before opening it.

I have an arlo doorbell and chime. I share with a friend sometimes but he doesn't have access to the videos he just hears the chime when the bell is pressed so if he isn't in he doesn't get any notifications so it's just me

There’s something called black electrical tape ….

South Derbyshire

I just wonder has anybody else had any issues with keeping a private lifestyle and also having a video camera style doorbell?

It’s what the back door is for "

Only roughties use the back door.

By *adCherriesCouple  over a year ago

Cheshire/Northwest

Turn the camera off via the app or stand in front of it to let the person in, blocking the view.

hiding from cock pics.

"Our son has bought and fitted one (he still lives here). He has the app and this has seriously hampered our lifestyle!

HELP!!! "

Can you share the app and if so would you be able to turn it off when you you were going out until you was on your way, and then again when you arrive home until you are in the door?

ashford

"Or tell the person not to ring the bell before hand.

Still detects and films x

Only if you set it up to do that and pay the subscription to keep the recording "

We don't pay but not sure if she set it up like that daughter who lives home got it for my Xmas pressie last year and son put it up for me x

ashford

"Our son has bought and fitted one (he still lives here). He has the app and this has seriously hampered our lifestyle!

HELP!!! "

Kids eeh? My daughter who lives home bought mine plus 3 blink cameras round house lol! 2 of them I've set to look out to garden front and back the other 1 in the kitchen so I can check on dogs when not home which is handy! I could see them whilst on holiday x

Playa del Inglés

HELP!!!

Kids eeh? My daughter who lives home bought mine plus 3 blink cameras round house lol! 2 of them I've set to look out to garden front and back the other 1 in the kitchen so I can check on dogs when not home which is handy! I could see them whilst on holiday x"

We usually praise modern technology, but I see it can be a double edged sword

» Add a new message to this topic