FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Fat but want to run

Fat but want to run

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

Hello all,

I have really let myself go and want to get fit and healthy. I have downloaded couch to 5k, bought a sports bra and feeling determined.

Has anyone else been in a similar situation? How did you get on? Any advice?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

If anyone has the answer I’d love to know myself. Dieting is the hardest thing I’ve ever done

By *eliWoman  over a year ago

Hello Op.

I was doing it before I fell over a twig in a very dramatic fashion. Probably going to start again soon. The best thing to do is start small and make sure you're prepared. Like get what you need ready the day before so there's no excuse. Tomorrow I'm going to the gym in the morning. I've already got my outfit sorted and a playlist to help. The fridge is filled with fresh fruit and salad but things I enjoy eating.

Do you know what really motivates me? Being in a good place. If my mind is more at ease with me, I'm more likely to want to deal with my shell. And my friends and a couple of good men in my life.

I've got two stones to lose and then I'll be at my smallest weight since I was 18 (I've changed the age slightly so this can stay up!).

And seek help and support from friends. Celebrate the little victories. I wore a size 18 dress on Saturday. Me. And I felt okay. I looked kind of cute. Don't beat yourself up about who you are now, accept it and try and be better. For You. No one else. x

"Hello all,

I have really let myself go and want to get fit and healthy. I have downloaded couch to 5k, bought a sports bra and feeling determined.

"

Couch to 5k is a great start, Good Luck OP

By *ohn KanakaMan  over a year ago

Not all that North of North London

Couch to 5km is brilliant. Follow it, if you think you ate struggling repeat a week. Dint look at the plan fkrcweek 6 abd worry you'll never get there, focus on the week you are doing.

Consider parkrun too even whole doubg couch to 5km, as they've now started parkwalk and we're seeing lots more walkers turn up

Also consider proper running shoes

To loose weight the key thing is 100% diet and getting your eating in check and balanced.

Thats a big subject.

Second is exercise.

Don't mistake fitness for fat loss.

The very best exercise to loose weight is simply walking.

Low impact especially if you are a little on the heavy side? It's sustainable.

It uses predominantly fat for fuel.

Reality check

It's very hard

It takes a long time.

It's not linear, you will have ups and downs

To be successful you must be committed to a long term life style change.

If you need more help PM me and I will be happy to assist

I am a PT

By *acavityMan  over a year ago

Redditch

Couch to 5k is good.

Parkrun is good

Running with other people is good (in my case, stops me from skipping a run, if I have to let others down)

By *eembuckMan  over a year ago

heathrow area

I spent the past year going from no running to completing the London Marathon.

My recommendation is to start with 30 minute walk, then walk as fast as you can.. keep doing this for a few days.

Then start to jog 100 metres and walk..for 500 m

after that feels a bit more comfortable slowly increase the jog and reduce the walk..

It's not about being fast just covering the distance.

I would also highly recommend some weight work. to help build stability and some strength in the hips and legs.

Could go on for hours on this subject so please feel free to DM me anytime.

All the very best and great job, starting the process!

By *handlerMonicaCouple  over a year ago

Leicester

Support from family & friends certainly helps, but ultimately you have to find it within yourself to get out there day after day, when it's cold & wet and dark, and you'd rather snuggle up with a slab of dairy milk. Keep reminding yourself of why you're doing what you're doing, and what your outlook is if you don't do it. It will be hard at first for sure, but if you persist, you will soon start to see results, which should motivate you to keep going. Good luck!

By *ocopops1962Man  over a year ago

Glasgow / Lindon

"Hello Op.

I was doing it before I fell over a twig in a very dramatic fashion. Probably going to start again soon. The best thing to do is start small and make sure you're prepared. Like get what you need ready the day before so there's no excuse. Tomorrow I'm going to the gym in the morning. I've already got my outfit sorted and a playlist to help. The fridge is filled with fresh fruit and salad but things I enjoy eating.

Do you know what really motivates me? Being in a good place. If my mind is more at ease with me, I'm more likely to want to deal with my shell. And my friends and a couple of good men in my life.

I've got two stones to lose and then I'll be at my smallest weight since I was 18 (I've changed the age slightly so this can stay up!).

And seek help and support from friends. Celebrate the little victories. I wore a size 18 dress on Saturday. Me. And I felt okay. I looked kind of cute. Don't beat yourself up about who you are now, accept it and try and be better. For You. No one else. x "

Kind of cute - drop dead gorgeous more like Meli !

OP yea I understand your trepidation - it’s small steps I’m sure you will receive lots of encouragement on here whatever course you choose x

"

Running with other people is good (in my case, stops me from skipping a run, if I have to let others down)"

Yes a lot of clubs regularly run a beginners course based on couch to 5km which can be excellent for beginners

"Has anyone else been in a similar situation? How did you get on? Any advice?

"

Yeah, stop procrastinating and get on with doing something.

In the time taken to ask advice you could have put your trainers on and got out the door for a jog.

Eat less, eat better, stop snacking. Book into local classes that appeal to you and meet like minded people in the same situation.

By *egoMan  over a year ago

Preston

Great advice here already.

My input from being crippled to jogging and strongman competitions.

Walk everyday and listen to your body.

Get to the point on your walk you feel like a little jog and naturally progress from there.

Sharp pain, stop, dull aches then fight through it.

Do a 30min follow along Pilates/yoga session weekly.

Best of luck

By *inky_couple2020Couple  over a year ago

North West

"Has anyone else been in a similar situation? How did you get on? Any advice?

Yeah, stop procrastinating and get on with doing something.

In the time taken to ask advice you could have put your trainers on and got out the door for a jog.

Eat less, eat better, stop snacking. Book into local classes that appeal to you and meet like minded people in the same situation. "

Tough love doesn't work for everyone and it's certainly not an approach I'd use on a forum where you don't know a person and their issues. I find this comment quite presumptuous and rude to be honest.

To the OP - I know that my local road running club offers Couch to 5k sessions with run leaders who motivate you and help with pacing etc. I'd see if there's a club nearby who you could join. I found my club very inclusive. I can't run, but I go out in my wheelchair and wheel around 5k, Parkrun etc instead.

By *oft_SensualTV/TS  over a year ago

Yorkshire

I did the couch to 5k thing and found it took me about 2.5 months to get there.

The main thing I've found is to go steady and find a comfortable pace. Find a safe route and don't overdo it, consider the energy you'll need to run well- don't overlook a decent pair of supportive trainers either.

Find what works for you- do the whole run/walk/run thing as long as you need to. I'm not a natural runner either but I'm doing it! Good luck

2 years ago I decided to try couch to 5k.

I downloaded the app to my phone, got some running shoes and clothing...

Off I went on my chosen start day ..

First error, school start times were staggered ...loads of senior school kids about to witness my feeble attempt

Second error...waist bag was too small for phone...it kept switching offsound

I determinedly carried on though ... holding phone in hand as sound wouldn't stay on in bag.

Then my trousers started falling down ..

So now I am attempting to run around a little park holding my phone in one hand, whilst attempting to keep my trousers up with the other ...

Then my top rode up at the same time as my trousers were falling down, exposing my flabby belly to 2 dog walkers.

I gave up and went home ..

Now I do it on the treadmill.

It's hard work but it's worth it for the sense of achievement it gives you..

North West

Also, running isn't the only option. There's lots of recreational sport you could try, inexpensively. Your local council leisure website will have info and there's usually loads of community groups doing things like netball, rounders, aerobics, etc.

Thank you for all of the responses. It has got me more determined

By *lexV16Man  over a year ago

Welling

"Hello all,

"

Look for local amateur running club. They’ll help you with proper starter program and you’ll have a company that is always better motivation.

By *iamondsmiles.Woman  over a year ago

little house on the praire

I have a friend who is a couple of years younger than me. She started off with the couch potato and then joined a running club

This was about 8 years ago. She's now like a human machine and did a 100 mile run a few months ago and came forth

By *aptainhornpipeMan  over a year ago

manchester

I think the main thing to do is find an exercise you enjoy doing, running is an excellent way to get in shape but no good if like me you find every step excruciating.

Building an exercise into a social thing can be great, there are plenty of open water swimming clubs or cycling clubs.

Lots of running clubs too, then it’s more than just a chore but part of your social life too.

I did C25K at the start of lockdown. I started off weighing 18 stone. The first few weeks were hard but I stuck to it. I made very slight alterations to my diet, cut right back on alcohol consumption but still ate what I wanted. After completing the programme (I did repeat certain weeks once or twice so took me 12 weeks) I weighed 15st2lb. The programme gave me so much confidence and mentally it helped me no end. I now enjoy park run a few times a month.

By *ackformore100Man  over a year ago

Tin town

"Hello all,

"

Firstly. Awesome first steps for you. Yes I've been there and still am. I didn't like couch to 5k as end of the day it advanced too quickly for me. Also for me... Exercise doesn't help body shape... What I put in my food hole does.

By *otsossieMan  over a year ago

Chesterfield

"I have downloaded couch to 5k, bought a sports bra and feeling determined. "

You’ve covered off my first suggestions.

Don’t be afraid to repeat a week, couch to 5k is only a suggestion and we are all different.

Once you’re feeling a bit more confident, try a park run. There will be one local and there will be some folk walking it. You won’t finish last.

I did about a year ago, I reduced my calories to 1500 a day, and walked 12000 steps a day and honestly it just dropped off

North West

"I have downloaded couch to 5k, bought a sports bra and feeling determined.

You’ve covered off my first suggestions.

Don’t be afraid to repeat a week, couch to 5k is only a suggestion and we are all different.

Once you’re feeling a bit more confident, try a park run. There will be one local and there will be some folk walking it. You won’t finish last. "

ParkWalk is a thing now at some Saturday sessions, so the tail walker will stay behind the walkers and encourage/support.

By *erfectman122Man  over a year ago

from somewhere nice

Proper running shoes is a must op

"Hello all,

"

just put your running shoes on and go for it no matter what I guess and people say diet is key

By *andomly FriendlyCouple  over a year ago

Hull

Hey, im fat as well and also started Couch to 5K im now on week 6

Last Friday I run for 20 minutes straight, I didn't think I could but I bloody it easily lol

Along with healthy eating my friend, family and colleagues are telling me how much weight ive lost, personally, I don't see it but most of my clothes don't fit me anymore

The hardest part is getting out and running after a hard day's work! But I feel so much better after the run both mentally and physically

#5Kherewecome

S

By *phroditeWoman  over a year ago

(She/ her) in Sensualityland

"Hello all,

just put your running shoes on and go for it no matter what I guess and people say diet is key "

So true!

Just a couple of comments from me :

1. You cannot out-train a poor diet.

2. Fat and protein are better friends to you than loads of carbs. (not NO carbs but low carb; fat in the form of seeds and nuts)

3. Lots of water

4. Fail to plan = plan to fail - have your food and run plan ready for the week ahead.

5. Do not exclude any food but limit the crappy stuff.

Best of luck - it can be easier than you think especially once you see some success as said on this thread.

I'd think about what kind of lifestyle you'd ideally like to be living and then work out a plan to get there.

Running will get you fitter but it won't necessarily give you a desirable body shape (strength training is better for that).

Also sometimes running can make you have such an appetite that you end up eating more than you've burned! So make sure to carefully monitor how many calories you're eating while you're focusing on weight loss.

By *izandpaulCouple  over a year ago

merseyside

Look for a running group nearby.

I joined one that ran around our local park, all levels welcome and I made it to a charity run.

Never did really enjoy running, bored me stiff so I went along to dancing lessons, love it.

"Look for a running group nearby.

I joined one that ran around our local park, all levels welcome and I made it to a charity run.

Never did really enjoy running, bored me stiff so I went along to dancing lessons, love it."

Maybe not the best advert for a running group then

Worth saying there's all types of running. Some like it on roads, others on trails. Some in groups, some alone. Lots like to enter races, many don't.

Personally we run together on trails. One of our best purchases have been Garmin watches onto which we can create a route and load it onto the watch and just follow it. It's a great way of exploring new places. Although it does sometimes mean we get stuck in overgrown footpaths or surrounded by cows

By *phroditeWoman  over a year ago

(She/ her) in Sensualityland

Never did really enjoy running, bored me stiff so I went along to dancing lessons, love it."

Exactly what I did... not looked back although I do some park runs occasionally but dancing wins everytime.

By *den-Valley-coupleCouple  over a year ago

Cumbria

Hi there I was very attentive then stopped when we had the kids, it's very hard to get started again but feels amazing being fit..

A couple of good apps

My fitness plan for food and help with counting calories (to start with you can do it calorie deficit but the month the week or the day as long as there's a deficit)

Strava to track your runs/walks/workouts.

Both are available for free which is great to start with

Oh spot thinking or waiting for the perfect time as it's now.

You literally could do 20 squats and pushups

By *handlerMonicaCouple  over a year ago

Leicester

Off the back of this thread, I've (C) put an end to literally months of faffing, downloaded the app, and done w1r1 of c25k. Thank you OP for unknowingly giving me a kick up the arse!

merseyside

Never did really enjoy running, bored me stiff so I went along to dancing lessons, love it.Exactly what I did... not looked back although I do some park runs occasionally but dancing wins everytime. "

I absolutely love it, even got Paul to join when he's home, sadly he's become better than me, bastard.

Like many things, it's a lot harder than it looks but with practice you do come on leaps and bounds.

By *uer MalusMan  over a year ago

Narnia

"Hello all,

"

Snap! I have also let myself go. But I got a run in today. My amateur advice is walk/run… do the distant even if you are just walking at pace… see you on the other side with our bums and abs better than they are now!

By *ellhungvweMan  over a year ago

Cheltenham

OP I am not a runner so I can’t comment on running but I walk A LOT and have a few thoughts that work for me.

Walk everywhere and anywhere you can. It is all about the time in your feet. Get off the bus to work ten minutes before you normally do and walk the rest of the way. (Park your car ten mins further away if you drive) That is half a mile. Do it on the way home. That is another half a mile. At lunch walk to a shop that is ten mins further away from the office. That is another half mile plus the extra half mile back again. You can easily afford those extra 10 mins and you have now walked an extra two miles a day. Do the same on the weekend when you go out - that is 14 miles a week.

Do that consistently and you will see a change. You will find you start to walk up the stairs rather than get the lift. And you will find ways to grab an extra 10 mins walking everywhere.

You will start to see yourself as someone who walks and that is the biggest change - it now becomes part of your identity and that habit will stick.

By *ooking Fun!Man  over a year ago

NEWTOWNARDS

Good luck with this ....

Start of walking ... walk so far time it ... rest couple mins then have to walk back in same time or under. Try get further each time.

Can start walking, pick a point then run... pick point walk .. repeat.. soon you'll be able to run more than walk...

Used to train that way when was in army. Done plenty of running/training

merseyside

Good luck OP.

The fact you are thinking about change is a huge step forward, well done, the hardest part is over, well maybe not !!

Try to pick an exercise you enjoy, it makes it ten times easier and if you can get a few people to join you, even better.

Don't worry, if like me, you start using running as exercise and then change to something else, as long as you get moving, get out of puff and have a giggle, it's all good.

Don't be too hard on yourself if gets difficult from time to time.

Wish you the very best of luck.

I’m sure it’s been said, but the short version might be :

Invest in good shoes

Do stretching before and after

Combine it with more care in your diet

Worry about getting into the habit, before getting results. Do the former, the latter follows.

Enjoy it, this may mean doing it with others

By *ooking Fun!Man  over a year ago

NEWTOWNARDS

Change of diet also very important, you can still enjoy everything but in moderation.

You'll have plenty of support on here .. Good luck ??

"Hello all,

"

Always run downhill

By *b72Man  over a year ago

Nottingham

Best advice I can give is hide your scales in the cupboard. Know to many people who get obsessed with the weight side of things.

By *kcplprestonMan  over a year ago

preston

I have a habit of doing no exercise and eating wrong and then will change my habit and start exercising, this cycle happens every couple years.

The hardest part is the first step.

OP- get that first step done and you will be unstoppable.

(Unless you are like me and have to do it again in Two years!but at least you will know you can)

By *heGateKeeperMan  over a year ago

Stratford

Congrats OP. The first step is the hardest

By *heGateKeeperMan  over a year ago

Stratford

Congrats OP. The first step is the hardest

By *reenleavesCouple  over a year ago

North Wales

"I spent the past year going from no running to completing the London Marathon.

My recommendation is to start with 30 minute walk, then walk as fast as you can.. keep doing this for a few days.

after that feels a bit more comfortable slowly increase the jog and reduce the walk..

I would also highly recommend some weight work. to help build stability and some strength in the hips and legs.

All the very best and great job, starting the process!"

This is the advice we would give (both runners here). Start really small and slow. It's always best to underestimate what you can do. Also, invest in adequate shoes early on. That should help you avoid shin splints and injuries from pronation or impact. Asics are our go-to. £60 or so should get you going.

Good luck! The first 2 weeks is the hardest. Your brain will desperately want to make you go sit on the sofa instead. After 2 weeks it starts to get the memo

By *oiluvfunMan  over a year ago

Penrith

"Also consider proper running shoes "

One of the best tips ever; get shoes fitted from a proper sports shop, who will watch you walk/jog in several pairs to ensure you have the best fit for your feet/pronation

By *ady CurvaceousWoman  over a year ago

Kent

I only run for the ice cream man. Any further and I'd die.

Yeah absolutely commit so buy running gear for starters!

If going outside and not at work, start running a little everywhere! That's what I did anyway, so if I was popping to the shops I'd dress up and run to them instead to build up and just get used to it a little!

But couch to 5k is great for giving you little goals. You've got this!

By *oodmessMan  over a year ago

yumsville

If it's not been mentioned already maybe try pool walking. I met a guy who was heavy who did this and all he did was walk widths of the pool, from memory he lost a good five stone but did it gradually and trimmed up his whole body.

The difference between the pool and running/walking is the weight is taken off joints and resistance is upped so your heart rate increases.

By *ackformore100Man  over a year ago

Tin town

Have you had a go yet op?

merseyside

"I spent the past year going from no running to completing the London Marathon.

All the very best and great job, starting the process!

This is the advice we would give (both runners here). Start really small and slow. It's always best to underestimate what you can do. Also, invest in adequate shoes early on. That should help you avoid shin splints and injuries from pronation or impact. Asics are our go-to. £60 or so should get you going.

Good luck! The first 2 weeks is the hardest. Your brain will desperately want to make you go sit on the sofa instead. After 2 weeks it starts to get the memo "

Agree with Asics runners.

Just remember there is a difference between a fashion shoe and a running one.

Maybe try a running shop first before one of the big chains.

For me, it's one finger at the front of the shoe, one at the back. Try to bend them upwards, if they are too stiff to bend, they're no for me.

Absolutely no scientific reason for me to do this but it has worked for me.

I was already but have come down with a chest cold.

Have invested in footwear and once I can move without needing an inhaler, I'm off!

» Add a new message to this topic