FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Church

Church

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *urls and Dresses OP   Woman  over a year ago

Somewhere near here

I went to church today for Remembrance Sunday where my son was parading.

The songs were slow, I knew none of the words, the language old. The religious side to the service was dull bearing in mind there were 8 pews filled with children in their respective organisations. There was a toddler running around and the scowls he got from the band master and him telling the toddler to shush several times whilst the parents clearly trying to entertain the child while attempting to join in with the service.

I grew in the church, it was much livelier, very much focused on the children and I had a great time until I became the age to realise I didn’t fit in with Christianity.

During the service I got thinking, should the church move more into the 21st century or should it keep with the traditions? How can the church increase congregation sizes? How welcomed do you feel when you go to church?

Reply privately (closed, thread got too big)

By *yron69Man  over a year ago

Fareham

Fuck the church.

By *EAT..85Woman  over a year ago

Nottingham

"I went to church today for Remembrance Sunday where my son was parading.

The songs were slow, I knew none of the words, the language old. The religious side to the service was dull bearing in mind there were 8 pews filled with children in their respective organisations. There was a toddler running around and the scowls he got from the band master and him telling the toddler to shush several times whilst the parents clearly trying to entertain the child while attempting to join in with the service.

I grew in the church, it was much livelier, very much focused on the children and I had a great time until I became the age to realise I didn’t fit in with Christianity.

During the service I got thinking, should the church move more into the 21st century or should it keep with the traditions? How can the church increase congregation sizes? How welcomed do you feel when you go to church?"

I have exactly the same experience as you. I grew up a member of the church until I chose to leave at 15.

I also went to my son's cub rememberence parade this morning and the mini service at church at the end was painful. But equally the number of people that said the lord's prayer was as minimal as the number of people that sang the national anthem

Some churches have definitely moved with the times and some are on their last breath.

By *icecouple561Couple  over a year ago
Forum Mod

East Sussex

I don't go to church but my father does. They're very welcoming, check in on him at various times in the week, run social events once a fortnight and at various other times. There's a prayer meeting every Wednesday and they are what I feel a church should be.

If the church wants to increase congregations it has a *lot* of work to do to make itself relevant to people today.

There are individuals within the church who are doing excellent work but the 'church' as a whole isn't relevant to many people.

Somewhere near here

During the service I got thinking, should the church move more into the 21st century or should it keep with the traditions? How can the church increase congregation sizes? How welcomed do you feel when you go to church?

I have exactly the same experience as you. I grew up a member of the church until I chose to leave at 15.

I also went to my son's cub rememberence parade this morning and the mini service at church at the end was painful. But equally the number of people that said the lord's prayer was as minimal as the number of people that sang the national anthem

Some churches have definitely moved with the times and some are on their last breath. "

Same today, very few sang, said the Lord’s Prayer etc, looking around it was elderly people doing it all. The service lasted nearly an hour and wasn’t until the last 10 minutes where it really felt that we were remembering.

I’m certainly no Christian and I have my own thoughts about the church but I can’t see how it’ll survive in the next 10-20 years. But then I live in a rural area so maybe what I’m seeing is a little blinkered.

Somewhere near here

"I don't go to church but my father does. They're very welcoming, check in on him at various times in the week, run social events once a fortnight and at various other times. There's a prayer meeting every Wednesday and they are what I feel a church should be.

If the church wants to increase congregations it has a *lot* of work to do to make itself relevant to people today.

There are individuals within the church who are doing excellent work but the 'church' as a whole isn't relevant to many people."

I completely agree in that it does help a lot of people but I do feel some groups don’t feel that they would get that support. From my own personal perspective, it’s for the elderly, the support and activities are geared towards the elderly, as a 36 year old I can’t see me fitting in if I chose to go.

By *inky_couple2020Couple  over a year ago

North West

Remembrance Sunday does generally lend itself more to the traditional Church services (i.e. older hymns, full Book of Common prayer stuff etc). You might find a pretty different experience on a regular Sunday. Most Churches don't do Sunday School on Remembrance Sunday too, but have everyone stay in the main service. That was the same when I was a child.

Having spent almost every Sunday in a traditional Protestant Church service as a child/teen etc, I can recite the Book of Common Prayer service, with all the responses etc from memory, so although I've not been to Church in a while, I'd be able to join in still.

Nottingham

Some churches have definitely moved with the times and some are on their last breath.

Same today, very few sang, said the Lord’s Prayer etc, looking around it was elderly people doing it all. The service lasted nearly an hour and wasn’t until the last 10 minutes where it really felt that we were remembering.

I’m certainly no Christian and I have my own thoughts about the church but I can’t see how it’ll survive in the next 10-20 years. But then I live in a rural area so maybe what I’m seeing is a little blinkered."

Rural is possibly your problem. There are some fantastic, lively, young, mixed churches around. They're not dying out as a religion, only the individual churches that don't evolve with the times.

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

If the church moved into the 21st century it would cease to exist.

It's whole philosophy is permanently stuck in the middle ages.

By *yron69Man  over a year ago

Fareham

God is not proportional to the known Universe.

By *uer MalusMan  over a year ago

Narnia

I have a real problem with the Muslim faith. Inciting atrocious acts, more misogynistic than the rest of the monotheistic faiths, totally intolerant and fuck all respect for free speak. The only people who irritate me more are the politically correct fuck-tards who defend them.

If people of “faith” can’t live and let live, suggest that blasphemy is a crime (see what happened to Salman Rushdie and at Batley Grammar School) and consider themselves somehow morally superior, they can fuck off.

By *Jones19Man  over a year ago

Evesham, Worcester, Pershore

I left the church in my late teens. But the church I went to was great. It ran youth clubs, 2 separate Sunday schools, organised stuff for school holidays and took a group to youth festivals. But there was a contingent of the congregation that was not overly accepting of the younger members of the church. Especially those who's families didn't attend. Which is the reason I ended up leaving. Cliques.

I think as a whole, the wider church is stuck in its traditions. Part of which I feel is growing mainly through families already in the church. Thats not sustainable when your not keeping up with modern life and teen culture, minimising retention.

North West

"I have a real problem with the Muslim faith. Inciting atrocious acts, more misogynistic than the rest of the monotheistic faiths, totally intolerant and fuck all respect for free speak. The only people who irritate me more are the politically correct fuck-tards who defend them.

If people of “faith” can’t live and let live, suggest that blasphemy is a crime (see what happened to Salman Rushdie and at Batley Grammar School) and consider themselves somehow morally superior, they can fuck off.

"

Thank you for this ridiculous rant. How on earth is it connected to the original post?

By *eedsmale36Man  over a year ago

Leeds

Dam, though this post was about Charlotte Church getting spitroasted !

Forum Mod

East Sussex

"I don't go to church but my father does. They're very welcoming, check in on him at various times in the week, run social events once a fortnight and at various other times. There's a prayer meeting every Wednesday and they are what I feel a church should be.

There are individuals within the church who are doing excellent work but the 'church' as a whole isn't relevant to many people.

I completely agree in that it does help a lot of people but I do feel some groups don’t feel that they would get that support. From my own personal perspective, it’s for the elderly, the support and activities are geared towards the elderly, as a 36 year old I can’t see me fitting in if I chose to go."

I wouldn't choose to go but I have the same impression that you do.

I also have a big problem with 'the church' as an institution but respect for a lot of people within it.

By *ehindHerEyesCouple  over a year ago

SomewhereOnlyWeKnow

"I have a real problem with the Muslim faith. Inciting atrocious acts, more misogynistic than the rest of the monotheistic faiths, totally intolerant and fuck all respect for free speak. The only people who irritate me more are the politically correct fuck-tards who defend them.

"

One that couldn't be more further than the truth about Islam, and two what relevance is it to the OP's thread

Tg x

Somewhere near here

"I left the church in my late teens. But the church I went to was great. It ran youth clubs, 2 separate Sunday schools, organised stuff for school holidays and took a group to youth festivals. But there was a contingent of the congregation that was not overly accepting of the younger members of the church. Especially those who's families didn't attend. Which is the reason I ended up leaving. Cliques.

I think as a whole, the wider church is stuck in its traditions. Part of which I feel is growing mainly through families already in the church. Thats not sustainable when your not keeping up with modern life and teen culture, minimising retention."

I could have wrote that first paragraph myself, that’s what church was like for me as a children. I learnt to play trombone at the age of 8, I sang in the choir, we traveled the country, we had youth groups, camping trips etc. But the older members of the church didn’t like it at all. But I grew up in the Salvation Army, not a more “traditional” church

By *tooveMan  over a year ago

belfast

"Dam, though this post was about Charlotte Church getting spitroasted ! "

No you didn't.

Somewhere near here

"

I think your rant has gone waaaaaay beyond my post, this isn’t connected to my questions

Somewhere near here

"Dam, though this post was about Charlotte Church getting spitroasted ! "

Apologies for the disappointment

By *entleman JayMan  over a year ago

Wakefield

I go to my local (modern) church service once a year. Musicians on stage. Multi media stuff going on.

I’m not sure you can “sex up” a Remembrance Day service. You need to cut them some slack.

By *mp411Man  over a year ago

chester

"

I agree

North West

I agree "

It's a load of cobblers and totally irrelevant to the OP

Somewhere near here

"I go to my local (modern) church service once a year. Musicians on stage. Multi media stuff going on.

I’m not sure you can “sex up” a Remembrance Day service. You need to cut them some slack. "

It wasn’t necessarily ramping up the remembrance service, but services as a whole. But then in the same breath, remembrance is one of the services where congregations are much larger and have groups in that wouldn’t normally go to church and groups that aren’t of the Christian faith so maybe mindful that this is their opportunity to potentially increase numbers. Maybe I’m also overstepping the mark, but like I said further up, only 10 minutes of the service felt it had relevance to remembrance

Somewhere near here

I completely agree in that it does help a lot of people but I do feel some groups don’t feel that they would get that support. From my own personal perspective, it’s for the elderly, the support and activities are geared towards the elderly, as a 36 year old I can’t see me fitting in if I chose to go.

I wouldn't choose to go but I have the same impression that you do.

I also have a big problem with 'the church' as an institution but respect for a lot of people within it."

I too have problems with “the church” and the faith itself so I’m perhaps a little skewered in my views.

Admittedly I do love church buildings, if walls could talk

North West

"I go to my local (modern) church service once a year. Musicians on stage. Multi media stuff going on.

I’m not sure you can “sex up” a Remembrance Day service. You need to cut them some slack.

It wasn’t necessarily ramping up the remembrance service, but services as a whole. But then in the same breath, remembrance is one of the services where congregations are much larger and have groups in that wouldn’t normally go to church and groups that aren’t of the Christian faith so maybe mindful that this is their opportunity to potentially increase numbers. Maybe I’m also overstepping the mark, but like I said further up, only 10 minutes of the service felt it had relevance to remembrance"

Like I said above, most Churches go to the traditional service formats and hymns for things like Remembrance Sunday. You might find that the full traditional service is only sung/said once a month and a more pared down format is used 3/4 Sundays. Some Churches put the "traditional" service at an earlier time or do it for evensong.

chester

The Church especially Catholic has had its day its a dying organisation like all religions from antiquity woke, climate change, are the new religious cults wars will be faught over them probably quite soon

By *avexxMan  over a year ago

cheshire

im a catholic i was bored out of my head during mass..

chester

I agree

It's a load of cobblers and totally irrelevant to the OP "

irrelevant yes but not a load of "old cobblers" Islam and the followers have committed more atrocities from suicide bombers, beheadings, sexual assaults on women and children,(grooming gangs) openly hostile to all other people who don't follow Islam the list is overwhelming

Nottingham

I agree

It's a load of cobblers and totally irrelevant to the OP irrelevant yes but not a load of "old cobblers" Islam and the followers have committed more atrocities from suicide bombers, beheadings, sexual assaults on women and children,(grooming gangs) openly hostile to all other people who don't follow Islam the list is overwhelming "

Many religions have extremists interpreting their faith to the detriment of others. History is downing in the blood of religious acts. Right now you've probably just read to many biased The Sun articles and are sounding rather Islamophobic.

Somewhere near here

I agree

It's a load of cobblers and totally irrelevant to the OP irrelevant yes but not a load of "old cobblers" Islam and the followers have committed more atrocities from suicide bombers, beheadings, sexual assaults on women and children,(grooming gangs) openly hostile to all other people who don't follow Islam the list is overwhelming "

Please, feel free to make your own thread on this subject and see how that goes down. But it’s irrelevant for here

Sounds a lot like the dreary services I used to get dragged to as a kid.

Am an Atheist now, so no more boring church for me

By *a LunaWoman  over a year ago

South

A good Vicar/Priest makes all the difference. If they’ve got a bit of wit about them and they actually get out and about and visit their parishioners.

Clubs and stuff for the more mature members and also the younger members.

But essentially, if you have a good Vicar/Priest then word gets out and the flock flock in.

I still remember our Vicar who carried out a family funeral for us. He was lovely, and an absolute sweetheart.

Hymns are Hymns. A good organist/pianist is also a blessing.

To be fair Remembrance Sunday is meant to be a time of quiet reflection, not a karaoke night.

By *Jones19Man  over a year ago

Evesham, Worcester, Pershore

"I left the church in my late teens. But the church I went to was great. It ran youth clubs, 2 separate Sunday schools, organised stuff for school holidays and took a group to youth festivals. But there was a contingent of the congregation that was not overly accepting of the younger members of the church. Especially those who's families didn't attend. Which is the reason I ended up leaving. Cliques.

I think as a whole, the wider church is stuck in its traditions. Part of which I feel is growing mainly through families already in the church. Thats not sustainable when your not keeping up with modern life and teen culture, minimising retention.

I could have wrote that first paragraph myself, that’s what church was like for me as a children. I learnt to play trombone at the age of 8, I sang in the choir, we traveled the country, we had youth groups, camping trips etc. But the older members of the church didn’t like it at all. But I grew up in the Salvation Army, not a more “traditional” church"

My church was a more modern style. But there was still that older traditional contingent. It was just frustrating experience towards the end. Wanted to be there, but was just an uphill fight as my world started changing.

By *atnip make me purrWoman  over a year ago

Reading

I think we are done with that particular mythology.

By *ubcup2Couple  over a year ago

London

I did wonder where this OP was going but as a person brought up in a strict Catholic family I thought it was going to be about sex in church.

I'm very open minded but even that would be a step too far for me.

I believe in it but probably because I don't want to be damned to hell.

Too difficult to explain on a forum.

By *ames-77Man  over a year ago

milton keynes

During the service I got thinking, should the church move more into the 21st century or should it keep with the traditions? How can the church increase congregation sizes? How welcomed do you feel when you go to church?"

Sounds like a Church of England, Methodist or Catholic Church .. there are Christian churches born again that are far more with the times play music and dance

By *aughty masonMan  over a year ago

nowhere

I totally agree!

"Fuck the church."

Totally agree

milton keynes

"Fuck the church."

Fuck the Royal family

"Fuck the church.

Fuck the Royal family "

That escalated quickly

milton keynes

"Fuck the church.

Fuck the Royal family

That escalated quickly "

In what way

"Fuck the church.

Fuck the Royal family

That escalated quickly

In what way "

It was a flippant throw away comment on my part.

But if you want to dig into it.

It went from a discussion on the church and wider religions, to bringing the royal family into it.

Did I really need to explain it?

Hope that helps

By *ensual-dominant-passionMan  over a year ago

sheffield

I agree "

you have just generalised the entire Muslim

Population.. I bet you used to on those EDL marches…. Can’t blame fuck-tards trying to defend “them” against nutters like you

By *penbicoupleCouple  over a year ago

Northampton

I never go to church, but there are plenty of churches more up-beat, contemporary, etc.

Yet, personally, I'd be more interested in their views on abortion, homosexuality, other religions, hell, etc. than whether the music was fast tempo.

Northampton

"I have a real problem with the Muslim faith. Inciting atrocious acts, more misogynistic than the rest of the monotheistic faiths, totally intolerant and fuck all respect for free speak. The only people who irritate me more are the politically correct fuck-tards who defend them."

It's not about being PC. It's about being accurate.

Are you really not aware of any atrocities committed by Christians?

I agree

It's a load of cobblers and totally irrelevant to the OP "

Really? You seem to have a different opinion?

By *ensual-dominant-passionMan  over a year ago

sheffield

I agree

Where are you getting your statistics on this… Tommy Robinson? You seem like you have a hidden agenda to generalise an entire population who follows a religion..

milton keynes

"Fuck the church.

Fuck the Royal family

That escalated quickly

In what way

It was a flippant throw away comment on my part.

But if you want to dig into it.

It went from a discussion on the church and wider religions, to bringing the royal family into it.

Did I really need to explain it?

Hope that helps "

And if you say fuck the church you might as well say fuck the royal family as they are connected ..

milton keynes

"Fuck the church."

I don't normally Care what people say on here but to say this is low .. no Matter what my beliefs I wouldn't disrespect a religion in this way

"Fuck the church.

I don't normally Care what people say on here but to say this is low .. no Matter what my beliefs I wouldn't disrespect a religion in this way "

Religions have been disrespecting people for centuries. They can handle it.

Churches vary so much. Some are old school where you sing the old Thee and Thou, many verse hymns and others are upbeat and lively with shorter songs rather than hymns. Some welcome children being children, some don't.

Most big services today, I would guess were held in the larger old school churches because they could fit everyone in.

I don't go to church, but was brought up in a Strict Baptist Church home. The focus was on both the children and adults alike.

If anyone is thinking about finding a church, my advice would be to try different ones until you find the one that you feel at home in.

"I never go to church, but there are plenty of churches more up-beat, contemporary, etc.

Yet, personally, I'd be more interested in their views on abortion, homosexuality, other religions, hell, etc. than whether the music was fast tempo."

Same here. That's what the church side of my family look at when they're needing to find a church.

Even upbeat, lively churches have slower, quieter songs too.

Northampton

"Fuck the church.

I don't normally Care what people say on here but to say this is low .. no Matter what my beliefs I wouldn't disrespect a religion in this way "

I disagree. Firstly, I think you would disrespect a religion if you found it's practices abhorrent. And you should.

Secondly, I don't think we should necessarily equate Christianity with 'the church.' The way the terms are often used these days, Christianity is the religion, whist the church is its current cultural expression. (That's not a biblical distinction, but perhaps a helpful one.)

Northampton

"I don't go to church, but was brought up in a Strict Baptist Church home."

Strict and Particular? I was a Baptist (Union) pastor for 9 years. If they could see me now!

milton keynes

"Fuck the church.

I don't normally Care what people say on here but to say this is low .. no Matter what my beliefs I wouldn't disrespect a religion in this way

I disagree. Firstly, I think you would disrespect a religion if you found it's practices abhorrent. And you should.

Secondly, I don't think we should necessarily equate Christianity with 'the church.' The way the terms are often used these days, Christianity is the religion, whist the church is its current cultural expression. (That's not a biblical distinction, but perhaps a helpful one.)"

Agreed

By *aptain Caveman41Man  over a year ago

Home

I don't go to church but I do my prayers and the graveside of my family who have passed on

I'm not religious. It holds no place in my life, and it's not for me. However, I greatly believe in the power of it, and the comfort of folk that do. And I would absolutely never knock it as that

"I don't go to church, but was brought up in a Strict Baptist Church home.

Strict and Particular? I was a Baptist (Union) pastor for 9 years. If they could see me now! "

Very particular. You'd probably be surprised how many people connected or once connected to church are on here.

By *aptain Caveman41Man  over a year ago

Home

Strict and Particular? I was a Baptist (Union) pastor for 9 years. If they could see me now!

Very particular. You'd probably be surprised how many people connected or once connected to church are on here."

someone should start a church group oh im going to hell for that

Northampton

"You'd probably be surprised how many people connected or once connected to church are on here."

Well... no.

I've been to a literal (ex)vicars and (ex)nuns party! Let's just say, lots of pent-up passion and restraint was released!

SomewhereOnlyWeKnow

I agree

What absolute twaddle! A minority in a large religion that people instantly tar them all woth the same brush..... Ever heard of the crusades and what christianity did all them years ago to anyone who refused to convert? what the Romans did in the name of Christianity? Crucifixion anyone?

Go start your own bigoted thread and leave this one alone

Tg

"You'd probably be surprised how many people connected or once connected to church are on here.

Well... no.

I've been to a literal (ex)vicars and (ex)nuns party! Let's just say, lots of pent-up passion and restraint was released! "

I can imagine!

SomewhereOnlyWeKnow

Back to the OP, I think it depends on the branch of the church really, I was brought up and attended Catholic Mass and CofE (opposing faith parents ) I certainly had more enjoyment at the latter griqing up and my local church definitely trys to stay with the times and make them more interesting rather than a droll experience for those that attend x

Tg x

I agree

It's a load of cobblers and totally irrelevant to the OP irrelevant yes but not a load of "old cobblers" Islam and the followers have committed more atrocities from suicide bombers, beheadings, sexual assaults on women and children,(grooming gangs) openly hostile to all other people who don't follow Islam the list is overwhelming

What absolute twaddle! A minority in a large religion that people instantly tar them all woth the same brush..... Ever heard of the crusades and what christianity did all them years ago to anyone who refused to convert? what the Romans did in the name of Christianity? Crucifixion anyone?

Go start your own bigoted thread and leave this one alone

Tg "

SomewhereOnlyWeKnow

It has also taken to carrying on the live streaming that they did during covid to appeal to those that want to attend but not attended the actual church if you get what I mean, to make it more accessible to all

Tg x

Very welcome getting very busy now thanks to imagration love traditional churches

By *9alMan  over a year ago

Bridgend

Very particular. You'd probably be surprised how many people connected or once connected to church are on here."

I was brought up as a Quaker have attended Church of England a bit but dont any more, I think the church is irrelevant to most people today , it has failed to move with the times Islam & Christianity are trying to enforce medieval views & morals on a very different world

I see large growth in our church

Northampton

"Islam & Christianity are trying to enforce medieval views & morals on a very different world "

I'm just going to edit that to say, *some* Muslims and *some* Christians are trying to enforce their medieval views and morals.

Christianity and Catholicism are more than just religions. They are major corporations that own huge chunks of real estate. They have the financial clout to be able to cancel all 3rd World debt and put an end to poverty, yet they don't.

No one has pick up on them or tried to cancel them for their part of funding and profiting from the sl@v3 trade. They denied Aficans their indigenous religions and forced their beliefs onto them, through sl@v3ry and missionary indoctrination. Yet no one speaks out against it. Christianity is flourishing in Black communities.

Don't even get me started on the Catholic child sex scandals or abuse of girls in Magdalen laundries.

But that's just my opinion.

Northampton

"Christianity and Catholicism are more than just religions. They are major corporations that own huge chunks of real estate. They have the financial clout to be able to cancel all 3rd World debt and put an end to poverty, yet they don't.

No one has pick up on them or tried to cancel them for their part of funding and profiting from the sl@v3 trade. They denied Aficans their indigenous religions and forced their beliefs onto them, through sl@v3ry and missionary indoctrination. Yet no one speaks out against it. "

Ummmm... as a former pastor, LOADS of people have picked them up on it.

We could also include weird things like them making money from top-selling albums. The issue is not that no one picks them up on it. It is that no one cares!

"Christianity and Catholicism are more than just religions. They are major corporations that own huge chunks of real estate. They have the financial clout to be able to cancel all 3rd World debt and put an end to poverty, yet they don't.

No one has pick up on them or tried to cancel them for their part of funding and profiting from the sl@v3 trade. They denied Aficans their indigenous religions and forced their beliefs onto them, through sl@v3ry and missionary indoctrination. Yet no one speaks out against it.

Ummmm... as a former pastor, LOADS of people have picked them up on it.

We could also include weird things like them making money from top-selling albums. The issue is not that no one picks them up on it. It is that no one cares! "

Not pulling down churches they way they were statues though.

Somewhere near here

"I never go to church, but there are plenty of churches more up-beat, contemporary, etc.

Yet, personally, I'd be more interested in their views on abortion, homosexuality, other religions, hell, etc. than whether the music was fast tempo."

Oh trust me, I have such thoughts, but I’d have the longest forum post if I wrote about other aspects

Somewhere near here

"I'm not religious. It holds no place in my life, and it's not for me. However, I greatly believe in the power of it, and the comfort of folk that do. And I would absolutely never knock it as that "

I completely agree, many people use it for so much and that is amazing. But from what I had seen (and other church services in my adult life) they don’t seem quite with the times therefore some groups of people don’t feel so welcomed

Are some religions more welcoming than others? Are some more lively?

I'd expect some to be sombre and dull and others to be entertaining.

I'm not sure it would feel right for them to be advertising to attract more people.

By *idnight RamblerMan  over a year ago

Pershore

"

The irony of labelling Muslims 'intolerant' in this post is sublime.

By *bi HaiveMan  over a year ago
Forum Mod

Cheeseville, Somerset

Just read the whole thread and bar the WTF moment when it temporarily became a Muslim bashing piece here's my 2p on modernisation.

I grew up in a religious family and most of them still are. I got out of attending church via sport (thanks god for Sunday rugby) and as I got older became disillusioned with organised religion to a serious level.

I don't care if people want to follow and religion of their choice. What gets my goat is the 'holier than thou' attitude (pun intended) of many religious people. You don't have to follow a book written by people in order to assert control to be a good person. You don't have to adhere to any written guidelines to live a good life and be a decent human being. Organised religion has always been more about control than anything else - it sells itself on an external image of compassion, charity and caring, yet threatens 'damnation' to those not sticking to the rules.

To the guy who bemoaned Muslims and threw them all into the same bucket...I give you the Catholic Church, which has a long standing history of abuse and whilst it's paid lip service to the issues it has, has done little to investigate it's internal abusers. Add in it's views on contraception and abortion and it's been responsible for helping cause untold suffering to children across the world for decades.

The CofE is sitting on billions, owns 200,000 acres in the UK and has the opportunity to help society far more than it does now. It's a huge money making machine that could do so much more to help people, but doesn't.

If, as is always claimed, religion is a personal thing between an individual and their God, then why do these organisations (may as well call them businesses truth be told) need to continue their preoccupation with grand buildings, gold crosses, outrageously lavish properties and fleecing their followers for cash week in, week out.

If the church and any religion wants to appeal to the youth market in order to survive, it needs to shed the traditional ideologies and reliance on bricks and mortar, stop telling people how to live based on thousands of years old text and start doing more for society with its assets and wealth. Promote better behaviour and responsibility not just because there's a threat of eternal damnation if you don't, but because it's the right thing to do. If religions worked with the non-religious for the benefit of the masses they'd probably get far more support and lose the 'them and us' image they currently have with many.

I'll never be religious. But I'd gladly work with those that are if they didn't continually try and preach to me, tell me how wrong some of my non-religious views are and just accept that I'll never be converted.

Sadly my experience so far tells me that's unlikely.

A

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman  over a year ago

King's Crustacean

"The Church especially Catholic has had its day its a dying organisation like all religions from antiquity woke, climate change, are the new religious cults wars will be faught over them probably quite soon "

'from antiquity woke' ...... amazing phrase i'm going to slot it into every conversation I have today. Just for the hell of it really.

King's Crustacean

I agree

They should be careful! One day they are going to draw equal to all the evil committed by Christians.

Given that, in evolutionary terms, the concept of a god and a religion to follow is a relatively new phenomena I would give it some time to find its feet.

That said being a lapsed left footer I will return to the church when it elects a female ( lady, woman etc) lesbian pope.

By *inaTitzTV/TS  over a year ago

Titz Towers, North Notts

The church is between a rock and a hard place.

A lot of doctrine is out of touch with our age and indeed, progress in general. However, if that doctrine is amended or treated more flexibly, then are they being true to the main tenets of their faith and if not, then what's the point of it all?

The church is looking more like a social club.

Forum Mod

Cheeseville, Somerset

"The church is between a rock and a hard place.

A lot of doctrine is out of touch with our age and indeed, progress in general. However, if that doctrine is amended or treated more flexibly, then are they being true to the main tenets of their faith and if not, then what's the point of it all?

The church is looking more like a social club."

Wouldn't be a bad thing tbh, given that many religious views are massively outdated, exclusionist, offensive and immoral.

A

By *ty31Man  over a year ago

NW London

Regarding Christianity, the type of service often depends on the denomination. For example Catholic Mass is very traditional and reverential and follows a set order. A Gospel Church is much more lively and musical.

The Catholic Church I attend follows the traditional Mass but I find it interesting as the priest is very good at explaining the days Bible reading and how it relates to the modern world and us as people and how we should interact.

To an extent I do agree that Religious services need to adapt to modern society and explain how a 2000+ year old text relates and is still relevant to the challenges and problems faced today.

By *inaTitzTV/TS  over a year ago

Titz Towers, North Notts

"The church is between a rock and a hard place.

The church is looking more like a social club.

Wouldn't be a bad thing tbh, given that many religious views are massively outdated, exclusionist, offensive and immoral.

A"

Too right. The whole thing is rotten.

King's Crustacean

What I am getting from this thread is that it's not the ideologies people are concerned about it's the delivery.

A bit like buying any old shit if it's wrapped up in a fun way.

Christmas and Gangster Rap .... it's all good stuff.

I guess any old cult will do if it plays good songs.

"What I am getting from this thread is that it's not the ideologies people are concerned about it's the delivery.

A bit like buying any old shit if it's wrapped up in a fun way.

Christmas and Gangster Rap .... it's all good stuff.

I guess any old cult will do if it plays good songs."

Faith of our fathers by Snoop Dog is a fabulous choone

"Regarding Christianity, the type of service often depends on the denomination. For example Catholic Mass is very traditional and reverential and follows a set order. A Gospel Church is much more lively and musical.

The Catholic Church I attend follows the traditional Mass but I find it interesting as the priest is very good at explaining the days Bible reading and how it relates to the modern world and us as people and how we should interact.

To an extent I do agree that Religious services need to adapt to modern society and explain how a 2000+ year old text relates and is still relevant to the challenges and problems faced today."

The very fact that you need the bible explaining to you is somewhat sinister.

By *ackformore100Man  over a year ago

Tin town

"Fuck the church."

Necessary?

"Fuck the church.

Necessary? "

He obviously thought so?

Forum Mod

East Sussex

I suppose also it depends what the church means to an individual and what the purpose of the church is.

I'm very far from being a biblical scholar and obviously being born and brought up with government approved C of E I can only really talk about my experience of that. But

For where two or three are gathered together in my name, there am I in the midst of them.” (Matt. 18:19–20.)

If this is what the church originally was it's already a million miles from its origins.

Forum Mod

East Sussex

"Regarding Christianity, the type of service often depends on the denomination. For example Catholic Mass is very traditional and reverential and follows a set order. A Gospel Church is much more lively and musical.

To an extent I do agree that Religious services need to adapt to modern society and explain how a 2000+ year old text relates and is still relevant to the challenges and problems faced today.

The very fact that you need the bible explaining to you is somewhat sinister."

The Bible in the King James version is difficult to understand. My dad was always telling me

'sufficient in unto the day is the evil thereof '

He needed to explain what it meant to me because I couldn't work it out.

Forum Mod

East Sussex

Damn and then I misquoted

'sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof '

The Bible in the King James version is difficult to understand. My dad was always telling me

He needed to explain what it meant to me because I couldn't work it out."

I thought the bible was by Matthew mark Luke and John

"Damn and then I misquoted

'sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof '"

Sounds a bit scary?

Leviticus 18:22 You shall not lie with mankind, as with womankind: it is abomination

From the good book written in Greek circa 100 years after the death of a bloke who built MFI wardrobes for a living................it’s of no relevance in today’s world.

North West

I thought the bible was by Matthew mark Luke and John "

You missed out Genesis, Exodus, Leviticus, Numbers, Deuteronomy et.al.

By *ackbydemandMan  over a year ago

Leicester

Remembering the fallen from wars should be exactly that, it seems to have vectored to a religious ceremony first and foremost and less about remembering them.

I thought the bible was by Matthew mark Luke and John "

No that was Abby Road I think

I thought the bible was by Matthew mark Luke and John

You missed out Genesis, Exodus, Leviticus, Numbers, Deuteronomy et.al."

So it’s a Netflix series?

Forum Mod

Cheeseville, Somerset

"What I am getting from this thread is that it's not the ideologies people are concerned about it's the delivery. "

Nope.

It's both for me.

Any religion that exclusions or has specific rules based on gender or sexuality is wrong.

How many have different guidance for men vs women? How many are intolerant of any non-heterosexual?

The ideologies are the root of any religion and that's what needs to change. The delivery is second to that. The 'rules' and guidance are based on text written in another time, where control was the aim and scare tactics and punishments were the tools.

Why should religion be allowed to peddle doctrines that are abhorrent to much of modern society just because some group of men wrote some words on paper a long time ago claiming it to be the words of prophets and gods?

If someone had a time machine, went back and swapped the bible for the hitchhikers guide to the galaxy the world would be a very different place. They're just books, written by people with an agenda.

A

The Bible is divided into two major divisions: The Old Testament and the New Testament. The Old Testament consists of thirty-nine books and the New Testament is made up of twenty-seven books, a total of sixty-six books all together.

There you go!

I always remember the gospel reading that was entitled St Paul’s first letter to the Corinthians.

Warning them that Brian was not the messiah but a very naughty boy!

"

n

Not sure your points are exclusive to just that faith . Extremism is in all faiths but unfortunately the media highlight that one the most . Now a post about racism being on fab is clearly appropriate and well timed

North West

"The Bible is divided into two major divisions: The Old Testament and the New Testament. The Old Testament consists of thirty-nine books and the New Testament is made up of twenty-seven books, a total of sixty-six books all together.

There you go!

I always remember the gospel reading that was entitled St Paul’s first letter to the Corinthians.

Warning them that Brian was not the messiah but a very naughty boy!"

My party trick is that I can recite all the books of the Bible from beginning to end. Alpha to omega. I memorised them to win a prize in the first year of senior school and have never forgotten

"The Bible is divided into two major divisions: The Old Testament and the New Testament. The Old Testament consists of thirty-nine books and the New Testament is made up of twenty-seven books, a total of sixty-six books all together.

There you go!

My party trick is that I can recite all the books of the Bible from beginning to end. Alpha to omega. I memorised them to win a prize in the first year of senior school and have never forgotten "

All 66 of them?

There you go!

My party trick is that I can recite all the books of the Bible from beginning to end. Alpha to omega. I memorised them to win a prize in the first year of senior school and have never forgotten "

All 66 of them?

"

Ya why can't they just fuck kids and cover it up like a normal religion

I think the old perspective churches held of themselves as an authority over the congregation is a non-starter in modern times.

People want a community, equality and support in life not lectures and shame and fear mongering.

We all know where we are and where we ought to be or would hope to get to. It's the social, the emotional, the practical and every other way you can think of that people need lifted up to thrive not worn down to obey and revere.

I'm a dyslexic Atheist....

I don't believe there's a Dog.

I'm a dyslexic, agnostic insomniac.

I stay awake all night, whist wondering if there's a dog.

Tin town

"I think the old perspective churches held of themselves as an authority over the congregation is a non-starter in modern times.

People want a community, equality and support in life not lectures and shame and fear mongering.

We all know where we are and where we ought to be or would hope to get to. It's the social, the emotional, the practical and every other way you can think of that people need lifted up to thrive not worn down to obey and revere.

"

Huge assumption that we all know where we are, and where we ought to be or would hope to get to. I certainly don't. However agree churches can help focus communities to thrive and provide support. I'm a 4 wedding and a funeral church goer and in fairness never heard any sermon demanding congregants demand and obey anyone.

North West

There you go!

My party trick is that I can recite all the books of the Bible from beginning to end. Alpha to omega. I memorised them to win a prize in the first year of senior school and have never forgotten

All 66 of them?"

Yep. All 66. One day, it might get me a mega prize on a quiz or something

North West

[Removed by poster at 14/11/22 13:53:41]

"I think the old perspective churches held of themselves as an authority over the congregation is a non-starter in modern times.

Huge assumption that we all know where we are, and where we ought to be or would hope to get to. I certainly don't. However agree churches can help focus communities to thrive and provide support. I'm a 4 wedding and a funeral church goer and in fairness never heard any sermon demanding congregants demand and obey anyone. "

Well clearly my experience of the church and life differs to yours

By *ister_ee_1981Man  over a year ago

Paphos

The last time I went to church was a few years ago for a christening. The church was bright, well maintained, there was a toy corner for children to amuse themselves. The (vicar?) chap leading things was a likeable bloke, humorous and very welcoming (as were the rest of the congregation, wasn't a separate service)

I am not a church person at all, but this place could really me and as others have said, churches need to adapt or fall (just as Darwin told...)

By *alcon43Woman  over a year ago

Paisley

It was a Remembrance Service. I haven’t been to church for a while but our services (Church of Scotland) has a praise band as well as an organist and the services are uplifting.

Remembrance Sunday has many older hymns as it is a day of reflection and mourning. It should not be a celebratory service.

By *alcon43Woman  over a year ago

Paisley

A ‘church’ is the people not the building that it is in. There’s something for everyone if you look for it.

Northampton

"A ‘church’ is the people not the building that it is in. There’s something for everyone if you look for it.

"

In traditional English usage, it is both. It is also the 'organisstion.'

In the New Testament, it is a local congregation of believers and also the whole universal 'body' of believers.

Tin town

Huge assumption that we all know where we are, and where we ought to be or would hope to get to. I certainly don't. However agree churches can help focus communities to thrive and provide support. I'm a 4 wedding and a funeral church goer and in fairness never heard any sermon demanding congregants demand and obey anyone.

Well clearly my experience of the church and life differs to yours"

It happens.

Tin town

There you go!

Isn't that a sign of a misspent youth? Or is that snooker?

North West

There you go!

Isn't that a sign of a misspent youth? Or is that snooker? "

It's a sign of doing your homework and wanting to get loads of credits (house points) I was 11 but it's stuck in my brain.

Tin town

There you go!

It's a sign of doing your homework and wanting to get loads of credits (house points) I was 11 but it's stuck in my brain. "

School does have its purpose after all.

By *hGlobbitsMan  over a year ago

Liverpool

"Fuck the church."

What - all of them?!

Tin town

"Fuck the church.

What - all of them?!"

A song by NWA?

By *eedsmale36Man  over a year ago

Leeds

"I'm not religious. It holds no place in my life, and it's not for me. However, I greatly believe in the power of it, and the comfort of folk that do. And I would absolutely never knock it as that "

In the words of Kelly Jones : you can find yourself a God, believe in which one you want !

There you go!

It's a sign of doing your homework and wanting to get loads of credits (house points) I was 11 but it's stuck in my brain. "

We didn’t have house points in my school and the motto on the badge was ut ea ante te.

By *rHotNottsMan  over a year ago

Dubai & Nottingham

There are individuals within the church who are doing excellent work but the 'church' as a whole isn't relevant to many people."

I used to go to Trent Vineyard with friends - mostly for the women and music it is full of young single people rocking out on a Sunday night, but the message was very relevant too. These kinds of churches in city centres and around universities are growing so fast that they keep splitting and building new buildings.

There are at least 5 super churches now in nottingham

I don’t know what it’s like now but Abundant Life in Bradford got so big about 10 years ago - over 2000 people per service - you had to book in advance and they ran 3 services each Sunday.

North West

There you go!

It's a sign of doing your homework and wanting to get loads of credits (house points) I was 11 but it's stuck in my brain.

We didn’t have house points in my school and the motto on the badge was ut ea ante te.

"

We went to a state school. Of CofE ethos

Catholic.........

Northampton

"There are at least 5 super churches now in nottingham. "

Any of them LGBTQ+ friendly?

"There are at least 5 super churches now in nottingham.

Any of them LGBTQ+ friendly?"

Doesn’t god love all her/ his children?

Northampton

Doesn’t god love all her/ his children?"

It's not him/her/it I'm bothered about. It's more those who claim to represent him but preach that homosexuality is a sin.

I'm not impressed by trendy churches that still perpetuate the ugly outdated beliefs of days gone by.

Tin town

It's not him/her/it I'm bothered about. It's more those who claim to represent him but preach that homosexuality is a sin.

I'm not impressed by trendy churches that still perpetuate the ugly outdated beliefs of days gone by."

Which ones still preach homosexuality is a sin?

I'm not impressed by trendy churches that still perpetuate the ugly outdated beliefs of days gone by.

Which ones still preach homosexuality is a sin? "

Catholicism and Islam are not terribly keen?

Northampton

Which ones still preach homosexuality is a sin? "

Any affiliated to the Evangelical Alliance, any that are part of the Baptist Union, many Anglican churches, most Catholic, Methodist, United Reformed, almost all Pentecostal, Vineyard churches, New Frontiers, almost all charismatic restorationist churches (e.g. the aforementioned Abundant Life Bradford).

Most of the trendy ones (e.g. Trent Vineyard) are clever enough not to preach it too publicly these days. Some are so hateful that they can't resist doing so.

Tin town

Any affiliated to the Evangelical Alliance, any that are part of the Baptist Union, many Anglican churches, most Catholic, Methodist, United Reformed, almost all Pentecostal, Vineyard churches, New Frontiers, almost all charismatic restorationist churches (e.g. the aforementioned Abundant Life Bradford).

Most of the trendy ones (e.g. Trent Vineyard) are clever enough not to preach it too publicly these days. Some are so hateful that they can't resist doing so."

Catholic churches don't

Northampton

"Catholic churches don't "

Don't what?

Most of the trendy ones (e.g. Trent Vineyard) are clever enough not to preach it too publicly these days. Some are so hateful that they can't resist doing so.

Catholic churches don't "

I think you will find that they still follow the teachings of Levictus?

Northampton

"Catholic churches don't

I think you will find that they still follow the teachings of Levictus?"

Their official position is that homosexuality (as an orientation) is not a sin in and of itself. Yet, homosexual acts are.

"Catholic churches don't

I think you will find that they still follow the teachings of Levictus?

Their official position is that homosexuality (as an orientation) is not a sin in and of itself. Yet, homosexual acts are. "

Administered by a male dominated conclave who supposedly abstain from all forms of sex?

North West

Catholic churches don't "

Has the Pope changed his mind on homosexuality, contraception etc?

Catholic churches don't

Has the Pope changed his mind on homosexuality, contraception etc?"

I rather think not.......

North West

Catholic churches don't

I rather think not......."

Indeedy. The Catholic aficionados I know are very much still of the belief that the aforementioned things are a sin.

Tin town

Catholic churches don't

Indeedy. The Catholic aficionados I know are very much still of the belief that the aforementioned things are a sin. "

That's not the same as being preached to that it is though is it?

North West

Catholic churches don't

Indeedy. The Catholic aficionados I know are very much still of the belief that the aforementioned things are a sin.

That's not the same as being preached to that it is though is it? "

The head of the Catholic church states these things. I think that's pretty conclusive. Not that the Catholic church is any better/worse than any other.

Tin town

Catholic churches don't

Indeedy. The Catholic aficionados I know are very much still of the belief that the aforementioned things are a sin. "

As for Pope Francis. Have a look at the human rights campaign website (I can't link it here.. But it's easy enough to find) and see what he has actually said. Rather than the very old trope about it.

Tin town

Catholic churches don't

That's not the same as being preached to that it is though is it?

The head of the Catholic church states these things. I think that's pretty conclusive. Not that the Catholic church is any better/worse than any other. "

He absolutely does not state those things... Or if he does. Please provide the evidence.

An example quote here..

"Let's start off with one of the most decisive moments in Francis' papacy for LGBTQ people. When asked about gay priests during a spontaneous exchange with the press, he responded, "If they [gay priests] accept the Lord and have goodwill, who am I to judge them? They shouldn't be marginalized. The tendency [same-sex attraction] is not the problem... they're our brothers."1

The fact that Pope Francis made such a comment – and used the word "gay" in English – was radical, and helped propel significant conversations in parishes and dioceses on LGBTQ equality to this day. But more importantly, his comment set the tone and approach to talking about LGBTQ issues outside of the liberal-conservative axis."

Northampton

"He absolutely does not state those things... Or if he does. Please provide the evidence."

The evidence is that he is the Pope. Unless he openly asserts for reversal of official Catholic doctrine and changes to the catechism, he is affirming it.

The quote you provided merely echoes the official church doctrine I expressed above - that orientation is not a sin. However, he still teaches that gay "behaviour" is.

If you read all of the quote on the HRC page, you'd see that it's not all good.

North West

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-56402096

But not enough tolerance to "permit" same sex unions. The general view from the Vatican seems to be "it's okay to be gay, just don't act on your urges and be celibate". Which isn't a sensible or acceptable stance.

And it only tolerates contraception if it helps avoid HIV, e.g. mainly relies on men to use condoms. Methods women can use to control their own fertility don't prevent HIV.

Etc.

By *icketysplitsWoman  over a year ago

Way over Yonder, that's where I'm bound

I went to mass on Sunday too. It's not a church I know. It was quite full, and I got the feeling that those of us there just for the Remembrance service were a small minority (about a pew and half).

It had a little choir, which kept the music going when the screens froze and no one knew where they were for that hymn. Everything was on screens!

I was a little shocked at one of the readings, it wasn't very focussed on Remembrance.

The last time I went to church was in March. On a whim I felt the need for mass and had the most uplifting experience in a tiny church, that was packed. They were very welcoming to me as a stranger. All the music for the hymns came from the vicar's phone.

Northampton

In March 2021, the Vatican's orthodoxy office, issued a statement ordering priests not to offer blessings for same-sex couples. The reason given is that God cannot bless sin. Pope Francis approved the decree.

He presents a very pleasant image to the cameras, yet doesn't follow-through with any change and allows the homophobia to continue (putting it mildly).

Tin town

"He absolutely does not state those things... Or if he does. Please provide the evidence.

The evidence is that he is the Pope. Unless he openly asserts for reversal of official Catholic doctrine and changes to the catechism, he is affirming it.

The quote you provided merely echoes the official church doctrine I expressed above - that orientation is not a sin. However, he still teaches that gay "behaviour" is.

If you read all of the quote on the HRC page, you'd see that it's not all good. "

You may know much more about it than I. I know very little. I have very few gay friends. The ones I do know are strangely enough all Catholic and supported by their church. That's pretty much the limit of my experience of Catholicism and gay folks.

"

So Christians were little angels during the Crusades and never tortured or butchered anyone who didn't bow to the nailed god?

All religions should be abolished, they are just mass control through fear, fear of what will happen to you "after" if you don't bow down and behave.

By *elvet RopeMan  over a year ago

by the big field

Change the dreary music to some techno, get some lights and smoke machines in, replace that body of christ biscuit bollocks with some LSD, change the hymn numbers board to a lottery (give away some of the churches obscene wealth)-maybe a few kinky half naked nuns lying seductively on the alter....its all sounding a lot better already

Northampton

"You may know much more about it than I. I know very little. I have very few gay friends. The ones I do know are strangely enough all Catholic and supported by their church. That's pretty much the limit of my experience of Catholicism and gay folks. "

I was a missionary for 2 years, seminarian for 2 and pastor for 9. So, unfortunately, it's been a big part of my life!

Individual congregations can be "secretly" LGBTQ+ friendly. And there have been many bi and gay priests who oppose the Vatican. There have even been "splitter" groups creating a non-Vatican version of Catholicism.

However, official teachings are that homosexual acts are sinful.

why not go along and get involved and change it from the inside. Why wait until others do it for you?

Northampton

"Change the dreary music to some techno, get some lights and smoke machines in, replace that body of christ biscuit bollocks with some LSD, change the hymn numbers board to a lottery (give away some of the churches obscene wealth)-maybe a few kinky half naked nuns lying seductively on the alter....its all sounding a lot better already "

You might want to google 'The 9 O'Clock Service'! I was at a Christian festival where they handed out condoms during the eucharist.

Surprisingly similar to what you describe. But did not end well.

North West

"Change the dreary music to some techno, get some lights and smoke machines in, replace that body of christ biscuit bollocks with some LSD, change the hymn numbers board to a lottery (give away some of the churches obscene wealth)-maybe a few kinky half naked nuns lying seductively on the alter....its all sounding a lot better already

You might want to google 'The 9 O'Clock Service'! I was at a Christian festival where they handed out condoms during the eucharist.

Surprisingly similar to what you describe. But did not end well."

The Condom of Christ?

Tin town

"why not go along and get involved and change it from the inside. Why wait until others do it for you?"

Now there's an idea. Wisdom.

Tin town

"You may know much more about it than I. I know very little. I have very few gay friends. The ones I do know are strangely enough all Catholic and supported by their church. That's pretty much the limit of my experience of Catholicism and gay folks.

I was a missionary for 2 years, seminarian for 2 and pastor for 9. So, unfortunately, it's been a big part of my life!

Individual congregations can be "secretly" LGBTQ+ friendly. And there have been many bi and gay priests who oppose the Vatican. There have even been "splitter" groups creating a non-Vatican version of Catholicism.

However, official teachings are that homosexual acts are sinful. "

Ha OK... I was right... You know a bit more than me about it. What made you leave that behind?

Somewhere near here

"why not go along and get involved and change it from the inside. Why wait until others do it for you?"

Because I’m not a Christian

By *elvet RopeMan  over a year ago

by the big field

"Change the dreary music to some techno, get some lights and smoke machines in, replace that body of christ biscuit bollocks with some LSD, change the hymn numbers board to a lottery (give away some of the churches obscene wealth)-maybe a few kinky half naked nuns lying seductively on the alter....its all sounding a lot better already

Surprisingly similar to what you describe. But did not end well.

The Condom of Christ? "

Obviously for the second cumming

Northampton

"Ha OK... I was right... You know a bit more than me about it. What made you leave that behind? "

I lost my faith in the middle of a sermon - that I was preaching.

True story!

"Ha OK... I was right... You know a bit more than me about it. What made you leave that behind?

True story! "

And no doubt that most of if not all religions in all its manifestation are complete and utter bollocks.

The fact that someone would even think they can preach to others is just bizarre! If you want proof of just what nonsense this is tune in to God Tv and have your credit card details ready.

Tin town

"Ha OK... I was right... You know a bit more than me about it. What made you leave that behind?

True story! "

Holy crap (see what I did there?) did you manage to finish it or was it a mic drop and exit the stage half way through type thing?

True story! "

A seminal moment perhaps?

North West

True story!

A seminal moment perhaps?"

Seminal? Did he spaff into the Condom of Christ from the pulpit?

In

"sIn "

You are forgiven.

True story!

Seminal? Did he spaff into the Condom of Christ from the pulpit?"

Seminal - strongly influencing later developments not spaff.........

"sIn

You are forgiven. "

Thank you father bloom.

North West

True story!

Seminal - strongly influencing later developments not spaff........."

The seminal vesicle produces the majority of the gunk that makes up what's spaffed out. One shall not spill one's seed upon the ground

True story!

The seminal vesicle produces the majority of the gunk that makes up what's spaffed out. One shall not spill one's seed upon the ground "

You would get house points for that

North West

True story!

The seminal vesicle produces the majority of the gunk that makes up what's spaffed out. One shall not spill one's seed upon the ground

You would get house points for that "

I give out house points for stuff like that nowadays

Good religion everyone

True story!

You would get house points for that

I give out house points for stuff like that nowadays "

Only in the house of the rising sun ......New Orleans way

A remembrance service is going to be different to a normal Sunday service, I suggest you go a few times for different occasions and then form an opinion.

My Mum was a Sunday School teacher so the Church was a familier place, and my School was CofE, I remember us Children being welcomed and we would have Sunday School before a service specifically for Children.

Of course there were behavioural expectations, more so at solemn occasions such as remembrance services.

I don't follow a Christian path, but I appreciate it. I used to take my boys to Church, Harvest, Remembrance and Christmas especially, being a young family we were always welcomed and the boys enjoyed it. We still go to Midnight Mass at Christmas and I find there is something comforting in the Church confines.

Like I say, I don't follow Christianity but I appreciate it and appreciate what it can mean to other when their faith in their religion is all they have