27 killed in US school shooting

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

Terrible the frequency of these.

Condolences to the families

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *isscheekychopsWoman  over a year ago

The land of grey peas and bacon

I just saw that... they said about 18 were kids... I mean who does this?? To the run up to Christmas...

By *iewMan  over a year ago
Forum Mod

Angus & Findhorn

how very tragic for all lost and their families xx

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Shock horror , my heart goes out to all families

Remember it's not guns that kill people, but the person behind the trigger

But if there weren't the guns in the first place .....

Unfortunately the gun lobby and industry in the US are just too powerful for there ever to be a reduction i.m these sad events

They say it was one of the pupil father that did this... He died at the scene..

By *ewtoit1Couple  over a year ago

lucan

absolutly terrible all between 5-10

GOD help their families

By *imply_SensualMan  over a year ago

warrington

It is just outrageous how the US can continue to turn a blind eye to the gun laws they have and the reform that is required over there. Whats worse is that they wont even debate it!!

Come on Obama, you have a new term, you cannot do another under the US constitution, so have that debate - you no longer need votes, just some common sense.

I dont subscribe to the argument that guns dont kill people, the person behind the trigger does...... if the guns werent readily available, the trigger happy ones wouldnt get the opportunity as easily.

"It is just outrageous how the US can continue to turn a blind eye to the gun laws they have and the reform that is required over there. Whats worse is that they wont even debate it!!

Come on Obama, you have a new term, you cannot do another under the US constitution, so have that debate - you no longer need votes, just some common sense.

I dont subscribe to the argument that guns dont kill people, the person behind the trigger does...... if the guns werent readily available, the trigger happy ones wouldnt get the opportunity as easily."

+1

our thought's are with the victim's family's at this very sad time, this is just horrible,

By *ouple in LancashireCouple  over a year ago

in Lancashire

"It is just outrageous how the US can continue to turn a blind eye to the gun laws they have and the reform that is required over there. Whats worse is that they wont even debate it!!

I dont subscribe to the argument that guns dont kill people, the person behind the trigger does...... if the guns werent readily available, the trigger happy ones wouldnt get the opportunity as easily.

+1

"

just how bad does it have to get before they feckin wake up...

so very very sad ..

By *els_BellsWoman  over a year ago

with the moon n stars somewhere in gtr manc

So sad to hear this. May they rest in peace

Tragic

By *kywatcherMan  over a year ago

Southwick

"I just saw that... they said about 18 were kids... I mean who does this?? To the run up to Christmas... "
At any time of the year it would be a tradgedy. Terrible news.

Southwick

*tragedy*

By *icketysplitsWoman  over a year ago

Way over Yonder, that's where I'm bound

Awful. When I first heard it was just the shooter that was dead, then 12. I didn't know the number had been increased again. So sad.

I hope the pro-firearm lobbyists sleep that little bit better in their beds tonight knowing that another bunch of people have paid the ultimate price for their right to bear arms!

A gun only has one purpose regardless of whose hands it is in.

18 children among the dead now.

By *andtsurreyCouple  over a year ago

Torbay

Totally and utterly heartbreaking

By *heWolfMan  over a year ago

warwickshire

"I hope the pro-firearm lobbyists sleep that little bit better in their beds tonight knowing that another bunch of people have paid the ultimate price for their right to bear arms!

A gun only has one purpose regardless of whose hands it is in."

Yeah, they will, this only justifies their assertion that a CCW (concealed carry) permit is a necessity - they will imagine, however unlikely it may be, that they could have stopped the killer in his tracks if they'd been there.

They also believe that if gun ownership were outlawed overnight in the USA, they, the law-abiding citizen, would be at a distinct disadvantage, and there would still be plenty of shootings, you can't put the genie back in the bottle.

I know exactly what the pro-gun lobby will be saying right now - whatever this gunman's problem was, it almost certainly wasn't a random act. Someone, somewhere knew he was on the edge, pissed off, and that it will be their fault for not recognising and dealing with this person before it got to this.

The sad thing is, it won't change a thing...

Southwick

The gunman has been named as 24 year old Ryan Lanza and his motherand father are amongst the dead.

Apparently the principle was the intended target but why do it in the first place.

Why so many innocent lives wasted over a silly disliking of one person

Thoughts go out tho the families.

"The gunman has been named as 24 year old Ryan Lanza and his motherand father are amongst the dead."

Only 1 of his parents is dead but they haven't revealed which one yet

By *xodussxMan  over a year ago

sheffield

Hence I never fancy live there. Very sad. It comes to same thing again: gun

"The gunman has been named as 24 year old Ryan Lanza and his motherand father are amongst the dead.

Only 1 of his parents is dead but they haven't revealed which one yet "

The 18 kids were in his mother's class so one can assume his mother is one of the adult victims. The gunman's girlfriend is missing in New Jersey along with another girl so who knows what's happened to them.

By *am123Man  over a year ago

essex chelmsford

" Hence I never fancy live there. Very sad. It comes to same thing again: gun"
its not the gun its person who has it guns dnt kill people , people kill people we banned hand guns and now theres more on the street then ever in the wrong hands case in point!

and gunman's brother found dead, CNN are now reporting.

Southwick

"The gunman has been named as 24 year old Ryan Lanza and his motherand father are amongst the dead.

Only 1 of his parents is dead but they haven't revealed which one yet "

Not according to Radio 5. Father found dead at the family home and mother at the school.

essex chelmsford

"I hope the pro-firearm lobbyists sleep that little bit better in their beds tonight knowing that another bunch of people have paid the ultimate price for their right to bear arms!

A gun only has one purpose regardless of whose hands it is in."

abs rubbish!!

" Hence I never fancy live there. Very sad. It comes to same thing again: gun its not the gun its person who has it guns dnt kill people , people kill people we banned hand guns and now theres more on the street then ever in the wrong hands case in point! "

So you' re arguing that a proliferation of weapons will make us safer ?

Bless them all.

abs rubbish!!"

I'm sorry? Are you saying a gun has another purpose other than to kill? Like what? To stir the jelly as it sets? To dig potatoes up?

Can a sad fucked up loser go nuts in a school armed with a knife? He may get one or two but he won't get 28.

If you are not a soldier, a specially trained police marksman or someone involved in animal control you do NOT need a gun.

By *ouple in LancashireCouple  over a year ago

in Lancashire

sadly inevitable but is there any need to engage in an argument about the why's and wherefores of gun law on thi thread...?

essex chelmsford

abs rubbish!!

I'm sorry? Are you saying a gun has another purpose other than to kill? Like what? To stir the jelly as it sets? To dig potatoes up?

Can a sad fucked up loser go nuts in a school armed with a knife? He may get one or two but he won't get 28.

If you are not a soldier, a specially trained police marksman or someone involved in animal control you do NOT need a gun."

a gun can do all of those things bt not on its own only wth help of a human, u see if someone wants to kill some people theres many ways dnt hav to be wth a gun. could of just got in a vehicle and gone mad in the playground so wht bann cars aswell

I don't think this thread is the place to argue about gun laws.

abs rubbish!!

If you are not a soldier, a specially trained police marksman or someone involved in animal control you do NOT need a gun.

a gun can do all of those things bt not on its own only wth help of a human, u see if someone wants to kill some people theres many ways dnt hav to be wth a gun. could of just got in a vehicle and gone mad in the playground so wht bann cars aswell"

Sure, someone can go nuts in a car, or find another couple of dozen ways to take out a bunch of innocent people, but when guns are so easy to come by in the U.S. why go to the trouble of devising more complex methods of killing dozens of people.

We don't have routine gun carrying in this country and the UK is one of the safest countries in the world in which to live.

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

"I don't think this thread is the place to argue about gun laws.

"

+1

Changing the law will not bring these people back

essex chelmsford

its people like this that got handguns banned in this country, and theres more shootings and handguns on the street then ever before and the main weapon of choice the hand gun, its not the legaly held guns that do the killing in this country ok america is an extreme wth the rite to bare arms maybe that cld be looked at but banning guns is NOT the answer at all and its been proven here!

judging obamas reactionand the fact he is in his last term.gun control is on the way and rightly so.

the gun lobby do not have a leg to stand on now.

assault weapons are needed by the forces only and america is waking up to the fact.

the nra may be powerful but the families of the kids with the president behind them are far more powerful

very sad,just glad my daughter lives in the uk where guns are rare and deaths are even more rare

essex chelmsford

"judging obamas reactionand the fact he is in his last term.gun control is on the way and rightly so.

the gun lobby do not have a leg to stand on now.

assault weapons are needed by the forces only and america is waking up to the fact.

the nra may be powerful but the families of the kids with the president behind them are far more powerful

very sad,just glad my daughter lives in the uk where guns are rare and deaths are even more rare"

i do agree nobody needs asault weapons only army or guns so easy to come by, so a look into ther lapse laws isnt a bad thing and we over here have it pretty well sorted bt shooting in this country is the fastest growing sport wth many millions doing it every weekend safely, so yeah guns are for many reasons nt just killing people

"its people like this that got handguns banned in this country, and theres more shootings and handguns on the street then ever before and the main weapon of choice the hand gun, its not the legaly held guns that do the killing in this country ok america is an extreme wth the rite to bare arms maybe that cld be looked at but banning guns is NOT the answer at all and its been proven here! "

you are never going to win that argument

stats prove that when guns are freely available,gun crime is far higher.

we are lucky in this country that politicians are not in the pockets of nra type organisations.politicians here were more concerned with making us safer.

By *aucy3Couple  over a year ago

glasgow

So sad,but not surprising,in a country where it's easier to buy a gun,than it is to buy a beer.

rip.

" Hence I never fancy live there. Very sad. It comes to same thing again: gun its not the gun its person who has it guns dnt kill people , people kill people we banned hand guns and now theres more on the street then ever in the wrong hands case in point!

So you' re arguing that a proliferation of weapons will make us safer ? "

No, he's saying that tightening the gun laws in this country did nothing to reduce the number of illegal guns on the streets and in the hands of the wrong people.

He's correct.

Criminals, for some reason, don't pay much attention to gun laws.

However, this is a side issue to this thread since the tragedy involved occurred in an area with little gun control. As already pointed out, this is not the right thread on which to debate it.

It's extremely sad news and my thoughts are with everyone involved.

many millions of people shooting???

no,i think you have your numbers mixed up with x factor _iewing figures

shotguns are not the type of weapon to cause a mass killing like this.

im not even open to listening to a defense of guns after what happened today.there is NO defense.

guns kill people fact

essex chelmsford

"its people like this that got handguns banned in this country, and theres more shootings and handguns on the street then ever before and the main weapon of choice the hand gun, its not the legaly held guns that do the killing in this country ok america is an extreme wth the rite to bare arms maybe that cld be looked at but banning guns is NOT the answer at all and its been proven here!

you are never going to win that argument

stats prove that when guns are freely available,gun crime is far higher.

we are lucky in this country that politicians are not in the pockets of nra type organisations.politicians here were more concerned with making us safer.

"

exactly my point hand guns in this country were banned, and now the main weapon of choice to commit crime is the hand gun, and there more shootings here, and murders then ever before wen it was legal to own one. so its not me just arguing its a proven point maybe not the case in america, as u can buy a gun there as easy as a packet of crisps, and from the same place which is quite ridiculas. my point is stopping the legal ownwership of guns or banning them will not stop idiots from shooting people period, it just wont, and its been proven in our own country. if u new anything about guns and ownership of them ud know that.

essex chelmsford

"many millions of people shooting???

no,i think you have your numbers mixed up with x factor _iewing figures

shotguns are not the type of weapon to cause a mass killing like this.

im not even open to listening to a defense of guns after what happened today.there is NO defense.

guns kill people fact"

yes millions see u dont even know ur facts yet argue the toss ignorance is bliss

essex chelmsford

" Hence I never fancy live there. Very sad. It comes to same thing again: gun its not the gun its person who has it guns dnt kill people , people kill people we banned hand guns and now theres more on the street then ever in the wrong hands case in point!

So you' re arguing that a proliferation of weapons will make us safer ?

No, he's saying that tightening the gun laws in this country did nothing to reduce the number of illegal guns on the streets and in the hands of the wrong people.

He's correct.

Criminals, for some reason, don't pay much attention to gun laws.

However, this is a side issue to this thread since the tragedy involved occurred in an area with little gun control. As already pointed out, this is not the right thread on which to debate it.

It's extremely sad news and my thoughts are with everyone involved."

agreed then im saying no more and im sorry for the loss of life today that clearly wasnt in question rip

By *awkeye and HotlipsCouple  over a year ago

Takeley

When will man realise the precious gift of life. We can only imagine what the parents and loves ones are going through. We just feel empty.......our thoughts and prayers are with you xx

oh dear oh dear

the reason hand guns are used for most crimes is because of their size,not because they are illegal

making guns illegal in this country has saved lives.

i have used and owned guns guns since i was 15 so i know enough about them,

ive googled the amount of people who own guns licenses and its not millions.

i can see we have a uk member of GOP here,stat avoiding,climate change denying right winger.

By *innamon!Woman  over a year ago

no matter

Sad times just little children.

God Bless them.

Guns bring death plain and simple.

As a kid/early teen I used to carry them for the older gang members as we couldn't be sentenced for it as they could and I've seen the devastation they can cause.

I could never bring myself to shoot another person (apart from if i was ever on the frontline).

By *ig jugsWoman  over a year ago

somewhere

I remember the Dunblane massacre in Scotland where Thomas Hamilton walked in and killed 16 little 5 yr old.I lived near there at the time and it was an awful time for all.So my heart goes out to these families,xx

I am here in the US watching this unfold in real time. Two days ago there was a mass shooting at a shopping Mall in Portland. Every day there are killings attributable to firearms.

There are more than three hundred and fifty million legally held firearms - these get discharged in petty disagreements like road rage and neighbour squabbles and there are estimated to be at least as many again illegal weapons.

This guy was carrying 4 guns, at least one of which was an assault weapon and the casualty rate so far stands at 27 including 20 children, 6 adults and another adult in a remote location.

There is no talk yet on any news channels about gun control but about the reaction of children and teachers and the killers mental state.

Notwithstanding, the coverage is being universally labelled as horrific.

".......... as u can buy a gun there as easy as a packet of crisps, and from the same place which is quite ridiculas. "

And not true

By *els_BellsWoman  over a year ago

with the moon n stars somewhere in gtr manc

Does it have to turn into a slanging match about gun laws everytime?

I know it may be seen as relevant but some poor innocent lives have been taken too early.

Even without the same gun laws as the US there are still shootings here near enough every day.

essex chelmsford

"oh dear oh dear

the reason hand guns are used for most crimes is because of their size,not because they are illegal

i can see we have a uk member of GOP here,stat avoiding,climate change denying right winger

"

im not that at all, thats just rude, and ther are between 1.8 million and 2million legaly held guns in the uk, and if u googled it u know that already. so id call it millions, no? and its the fastest growing sport of this country, and ud know that too if googling and ur point of hand guns being small yep ur rite, bt u also contradict urself as my point is banning hand guns did not do anything to reduce the use of them in crime, u said banning guns solves the problem, and clearly u dont think that if u say ther still used because of ther size, nothing to do wth size in the 70s and 80s the weapon of choice was the sawn off shot gun prob no longer than a foot easily hidden and the shot gun is the most owned weapon of all in this country legaly bt hardly ever used now its the ilegal hand gun that is the give

away being the ilegal option still easily obtained u obviously dont read or understand wht im saying on this subject

essex chelmsford

".......... as u can buy a gun there as easy as a packet of crisps, and from the same place which is quite ridiculas.

And not true"

and yes it is true in certain states of america ive been ther enough times too no. i couldnt buy one bt if ur an american it is as easy as that if we wer america tescos wld sell guns

Southwick

Only 1 of his parents is dead but they haven't revealed which one yet Not according to Radio 5. Father found dead at the family home and mother at the school."

Press are now saying it was 20 year old Adam Lanza who was carrying his 24 year old brother's identity - hence the confusion. The brother is in custody.

I have rights to reside in the US... but I am quite content staying here

"Sad times just little children.

God Bless them."

By *abioMan  over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

gun control is one of those "3rd Rail" subjects in US politics that people will only touch if they have nothing to lose... because some people and groups hold the 2nd amendement (the right to bare arms) to such a standard.. and the NRA (national rifle association) are such a powerful lobby group that any person who proposes anything tends to have millions spent against them in elections...

there are simple stuff that could happen, for example... no same day gun sales (make people wait months to get them) limit the amount of guns, limit the amount of ammo, ban automatics, ect ect ect... which would all make sense.. but are always fought against....

maybe it will and has taken a us version of "dunblane" to happen before it shakes people into saying something has to be done... but i fear that barn door is well to far open to be finally closed

yeah _abio

they should ban the sale of all ammo,so they can still bear arms but not do anything with them.

Newcastle and Gateshead

"yeah _abio

they should ban the sale of all ammo,so they can still bear arms but not do anything with them."

its not even that.... i'll give you an example..

one of this "mass shooting incidents" the person who did it had a couple of extended magazine rounds... so instead of it shooting 10 bullets... this one shot 30.

so what situation would you need the 20 extra bullets?

and it is even sensible suggests like to ban those, where the NRA kick up a huge fuss...

and body armour.anything military grade should not be in the hands of the public.

some states allow .50 cal rifles! they would drop an elephant from a mile.

"oh dear oh dear

i can see we have a uk member of GOP here,stat avoiding,climate change denying right winger

im not that at all, thats just rude, and ther are between 1.8 million and 2million legaly held guns in the uk, and if u googled it u know that already. so id call it millions, no? and its the fastest growing sport of this country, and ud know that too if googling and ur point of hand guns being small yep ur rite, bt u also contradict urself as my point is banning hand guns did not do anything to reduce the use of them in crime, u said banning guns solves the problem, and clearly u dont think that if u say ther still used because of ther size, nothing to do wth size in the 70s and 80s the weapon of choice was the sawn off shot gun prob no longer than a foot easily hidden and the shot gun is the most owned weapon of all in this country legaly bt hardly ever used now its the ilegal hand gun that is the give

away being the ilegal option still easily obtained u obviously dont read or understand wht im saying on this subject "

Thought you weren't saying anything more on the subject.

".......... as u can buy a gun there as easy as a packet of crisps, and from the same place which is quite ridiculas.

And not true"

yes you can, wallmart sell them you just need ID. pawnbrokers sell them too, they dont give a shit about your id its all money to them

People also sell them from the boot of thier car at gun shows, do you think they ask for id?

canada has lots of guns in it, but canadians dont feel the need to shoot each other, people kill , not guns,

I say put him in front of a firing squad and shot him first in the ankle and very slowly work their way up, Make him suffer so bad for every one of those children and adults. I was trying to explain to my 15yr old daughter why people do these things because she was in tears.. But what could i say???

Southwick

"I say put him in front of a firing squad and shot him first in the ankle and very slowly work their way up, Make him suffer so bad for every one of those children and adults. I was trying to explain to my 15yr old daughter why people do these things because she was in tears.. But what could i say??? "
Who? He is not alive.

America changing the gun laws is the definitive "Stable door after the horse has bolted" scenario in my opinion.

It is far too ingrained into their society, in fact...because of this horror there are already lobbyists saying TEACHERS should carry guns! WTF?!

This is tragic, it really is and when I try to imagine what those parents are going through it turns my stomach but I seriously don't believe there is an answer.

On the same day, a man in China ran into a school with a knife and attacked 22 people (That seems to have been missed by most news channels).. It's the twisted and sick that do the damage, if there was no device of one sort at hand, there'd be another.

Newcastle and Gateshead

And not true"

Actually ... Yes it is!

2 of the easiest things to do you will here over the next few days are buying guns over the Internet which allows for no checks to be done, and the gun show loophole which allows anyone to buy a gun at a gun show without any checks being done at all...

These two things account for about 40-45% of all sales

And not true

Actually ... Yes it is!

2 of the easiest things to do you will here over the next few days are buying guns over the Internet which allows for no checks to be done, and the gun show loophole which allows anyone to buy a gun at a gun show without any checks being done at all...

These two things account for about 40-45% of all sales "

I was in the states recently on business. I went into Walmart to get some bits and bobs and was approached by a lobbyist on behalf of the National Rifle Association. They had a stand in Walmart next to the toys section on which they paraded the most leathal looking rifles and hand guns I have ever seen. When they knew I was a Brit they lost interest but the litreture on the stand was mad. The NRA gives millions of dollars to politicians who support the gun lobby so the status Quo will remain until there is a political will to withdraw weapons from everyday use. I fear incidents like this will happen in the future as even in a sane country like dear old UK we have our nuts too as was tragically evidenced in Dunblane.

There should be a total world wide ban on private gun ownership with legislation in each country handing out 10 year jail sentences for those who posses illegal fire arms.

And not true

Actually ... Yes it is!

These two things account for about 40-45% of all sales I was in the states recently on business. I went into Walmart to get some bits and bobs and was approached by a lobbyist on behalf of the National Rifle Association. They had a stand in Walmart next to the toys section on which they paraded the most leathal looking rifles and hand guns I have ever seen. When they knew I was a Brit they lost interest but the litreture on the stand was mad. The NRA gives millions of dollars to politicians who support the gun lobby so the status Quo will remain until there is a political will to withdraw weapons from everyday use. I fear incidents like this will happen in the future as even in a sane country like dear old UK we have our nuts too as was tragically evidenced in Dunblane.

There should be a total world wide ban on private gun ownership with legislation in each country handing out 10 year jail sentences for those who posses illegal fire arms."

Unfortunately it comes down to the same old story MAN = GREED

Just watched a News report of one of the fathers speaking about his daughter….so sad…..so very very sad.

By *hetalkingstoveMan  over a year ago

London

The rate of murder by shooting in the US is 2.97 per 100,000.

In England & Wales it's 0.07

why do people think its too soon to talk about gun control?

surely its too late!

ironic how america go around trying to disarm countries yet hasnt got the bollocks to sort its own people out.

"ironic how america go around trying to disarm countries yet hasnt got the bollocks to sort its own people out."

I hadn't looked at it that way but you're right. It is a tad hypocritical of them to wade into assorted middle east countries a'blastin n a'hollerin yet it refuses to disarm it's own citizens.

[Removed by poster at 16/12/12 18:05:07]

essex chelmsford

"ironic how america go around trying to disarm countries yet hasnt got the bollocks to sort its own people out.

I hadn't looked at it that way but you're right. It is a tad hypocritical of them to wade into assorted middle east countries a'blastin n a'hollerin yet it refuses to disarm it's own citizens."

oh no nt u again lol

By *ctavius StuntMan  over a year ago

london

Terrible tragedy.

But when i look at the USA and the example it sets to its citizens and people around the world of its "might is right" attitude then its hardly surprising when these things happen

The media and politicians will be talking about how terrible this incident is at the same time as ignoring the collosal loss of lives of both young and old of which the USA is responsible around the world.

Bottom line in America is money comes first not people.

Far too many make money from guns, that's all that matters to them.

Right to bear arms my arse, that should have gone when Apaches stopped lifting hair and Billy the Kid got killed.

Its big business greed and public paranoia that keeps guns on the streets in the US.

XXXX

[Removed by poster at 16/12/12 21:31:01]

essex chelmsford

"Bottom line in America is money comes first not people.

Far too many make money from guns, that's all that matters to them.

Right to bear arms my arse, that should have gone when Apaches stopped lifting hair and Billy the Kid got killed.

Its big business greed and public paranoia that keeps guns on the streets in the US.

XXXX

"

By *he-Hosiery-GentMan  over a year ago

Older Hot Bearded Guy

Moved me to tears when I heard..

Awful. Just awful

It's a tad ironic that one shoe bomber tries to blow up a plane and nowe everyone has to take their shoes off at an airport yet there have been 27 multiple shootings since the Columbine massacre but Americans still want the right to bear arms.

» Add a new message to this topic