FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > National Insurance

National Insurance

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *reelove1969 OP   Couple  over a year ago

bristol

wud u opt out of the national health system if u cud ?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *ittle_brat_evie!!Woman  over a year ago

evesham

nope

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

"wud u opt out of the national health system if u cud ?

"

No as paying in benefits others who need it. Its a safety net for me and I would hate it to be like the US was in the past.

No coz the last time I was in hospital the service and care was fantastic. Can't thank the nursing staff enough

By *acciWoman  over a year ago

leeds

Not a chance with my heart problems it would cost me a fortune

After paying it for all these years no chance.

By *xodussxMan  over a year ago

sheffield

Why would someone do that??? Even if I've never have ( yet ) to get any treat from NHS I am happy to pay my share. Think of solidarity

I would yes, i have private health insurance for me and my kids so i never use the NHS, i took it out so my daughter could get a op done that the NHS said she needed yet over 10 years later she was still waiting for it due to several medical fuck ups that kept putting the dates back and back, i realised the only way this op was going to get done was if i paid for it msyelf, yet i still have to pay into the NHS regardless of the fact i dont use it

By *nnyMan  over a year ago

Glasgow

The thread title is about National Insurance and NI is about providing a lot more than access to the NHS.

Even those with private medical care quite often use their local General Practitioner.

evesham

"I would yes, i have private health insurance for me and my kids so i never use the NHS, i took it out so my daughter could get a op done that the NHS said she needed yet over 10 years later she was still waiting for it due to several medical fuck ups that kept putting the dates back and back, i realised the only way this op was going to get done was if i paid for it msyelf, yet i still have to pay into the NHS regardless of the fact i dont use it"

When i used to work on the phones for a certain private medical company they wouldnt cover emergency care so if someone rang up saying they had just broken their leg we would tell them to go to the local NHS A&E so paying for private care doesnt always mean you avoid the NHS altogether.

Also, do you see a GP on private medical cover or is it just for referals?

"I would yes, i have private health insurance for me and my kids so i never use the NHS, i took it out so my daughter could get a op done that the NHS said she needed yet over 10 years later she was still waiting for it due to several medical fuck ups that kept putting the dates back and back, i realised the only way this op was going to get done was if i paid for it msyelf, yet i still have to pay into the NHS regardless of the fact i dont use it"

I would too. Also have private medical care, not yet needed to use NHS services for any kind expensive treatment. I'd rather have national insurance money in my bank and use private cover if I need to.

"The thread title is about National Insurance and NI is about providing a lot more than access to the NHS.

Even those with private medical care quite often use their local General Practitioner.

"

Well said!

And I bet they'll also be drawing their state pension too...

"I would yes, i have private health insurance for me and my kids so i never use the NHS, i took it out so my daughter could get a op done that the NHS said she needed yet over 10 years later she was still waiting for it due to several medical fuck ups that kept putting the dates back and back, i realised the only way this op was going to get done was if i paid for it msyelf, yet i still have to pay into the NHS regardless of the fact i dont use it

When i used to work on the phones for a certain private medical company they wouldnt cover emergency care so if someone rang up saying they had just broken their leg we would tell them to go to the local NHS A&E so paying for private care doesnt always mean you avoid the NHS altogether.

Also, do you see a GP on private medical cover or is it just for referals?"

This wasnt a broken leg tho this was a OP that was said was needed when she was 3 year old yet when she was 15 was still waiting

You policy determines what cover you get, you can pay for A&E care and for a privaye GP, my policy also covers private dental care and opticians, i had to take full comp insurance that covered everything as i was after a operation that had already been diagnosed before i took the policy out, it depends what policy you take out

saying that i can only speak for the company i use

But i knew it was the only way my daughters problem would get sorted so as a mother i did it

Glasgow

"The thread title is about National Insurance and NI is about providing a lot more than access to the NHS.

Well said!

And I bet they'll also be drawing their state pension too... "

.... and out of work benefits, maternity allowance and bereavement benefits.

By *atisfy janeWoman  over a year ago

Torquay

The direct correlation between NI contributions and the NHS have long gone....

It's all part of the National Tax pot in the modern age

Well said!

.... and out of work benefits, maternity allowance and bereavement benefits."

the question was would you opt out of national health care tho not would you opt out of paying towards everything

I think the thread title dont fit the question

Im not saying i wouldnt want to pay for anything, i just would opt out of playing towards the NHS if i could as i dont use it

By *histler21Man  over a year ago

Ipswich

Think my son's op and stay in hospital would have used up most of my contributions over the years

By *ouple in LancashireCouple  over a year ago

in Lancashire

" i just would opt out of playing towards the NHS if i could as i dont use it "

does your private cover also give you 24 / 7 emergency response by paramedics with an A&E also waiting ..?

Torquay

" i just would opt out of playing towards the NHS if i could as i dont use it

does your private cover also give you 24 / 7 emergency response by paramedics with an A&E also waiting ..? "

And that is the crux of the matter....

Glasgow

" i just would opt out of playing towards the NHS if i could as i dont use it

does your private cover also give you 24 / 7 emergency response by paramedics with an A&E also waiting ..?

And that is the crux of the matter...."

No doubt those who'd opted out of NI contributions would insist on being left lying in the road until an ambulance provided and paid for by their private provider arrived.

in Lancashire

'They' the private health providers also dont have intensive care i believe..

when things go pear shaped you the 'client' are straight to your local NHS hospital..

Glasgow

"'They' the private health providers also dont have intensive care i believe..

when things go pear shaped you the 'client' are straight to your local NHS hospital.."

What! In amongst common people? Surely not.

in Lancashire

when things go pear shaped you the 'client' are straight to your local NHS hospital..

What! In amongst common people? Surely not."

afraid so..

Glasgow

afraid so.."

Do the private folks get a refund?

evesham

What! In amongst common people? Surely not."

just because they pay for private health care doesnt mean they think they are posher than anyone else

Glasgow

just because they pay for private health care doesnt mean they think they are posher than anyone else "

Of course not

Torquay

just because they pay for private health care doesnt mean they think they are posher than anyone else "

Particularly as many get Private Health care benefits as part of their work contract,it's becoming very common as an added perk for many employees

By *enithWoman  over a year ago

closer than you think

I've had my fair share of treatment from the NHS so don't begrudge my NI contributions.

Was once told by a cardiologist that private healthcare was ok for fixing varicose veins quickly but if you needed life saving treatment, you can't beat NHS

.... found this to be very true when I suffered a heart attack and had a brilliant response from the ambulance service, paramedics and Harefield Hospital.

Well said!

.... and out of work benefits, maternity allowance and bereavement benefits.

the question was would you opt out of national health care tho not would you opt out of paying towards everything

I think the thread title dont fit the question

Im not saying i wouldnt want to pay for anything, i just would opt out of playing towards the NHS if i could as i dont use it "

With all due respect, you do use it. your situation is unfortunate but when you don't contract measels mumps, TV, small pox, scarlet fever or any of the other communicable diseases which were conquered by the work done by the nhs (I know small pox across the world was WHO but in the UK it was nhs), them I use the service.

When other people use the nhs, u benefit (eg by not having to retraining people to replace the ones who keep dieing)

The nhs runs or funds public heath laboratories so that a lid can be kept on legionella, cholera, salmonella or c.dificille outbreaks. They also run schools of tropical medicine trying to prevent the contraction and spread of things like malaria or ebola.

Lets not forget the advertising on things like 5 a day or stop smoking or breast, prostate or cervical cancer screening let alone sexual health clinics which u may not use but benefit you and everyone else directly and indirectly.......

Glasgow

just because they pay for private health care doesnt mean they think they are posher than anyone else

Particularly as many get Private Health care benefits as part of their work contract,it's becoming very common as an added perk for many employees"

Instead of paying a decent wage.

Torquay

Particularly as many get Private Health care benefits as part of their work contract,it's becoming very common as an added perk for many employees

Instead of paying a decent wage."

I am covered for Private Health through my husbands work contract.....he gets that on top of his VERY decent salary.

Sorry to dissapoint

Glasgow

"............

I am covered for Private Health through my husbands work contract.....he gets that on top of his VERY decent salary.

Sorry to dissapoint"

I'm seldom disappointed.

Get him to ask how much more 'decent' his wage would be if he didn't take the private health care.

By *icketysplitsWoman  over a year ago

Way over Yonder, that's where I'm bound

I wouldn't opt out. I still remember the call from the hospital my mother was rushed to in Texas to ask us to send the original insurance documents. As she was having difficulty breathing it was a little disconcerting to be told she would have no treatment until they had the original documentation and not a copy or my credit card information.

As has been stated above NI covers much more than the NHS.

Torquay

"............

Sorry to dissapoint

I'm seldom disappointed.

Get him to ask how much more 'decent' his wage would be if he didn't take the private health care."

He won't feel the need to, he's very happy in his career and more than happy with the renumeration he receives.

His PH cover is in recognition of the position he has attained after a long time served in his chosen career.

He would chuckle at your remark if I told him.....being the very positive person that he is

Glasgow

It ain't just the US. Try getting help in the EU without an EHIC.

Just bear in mind there's any number of chancers out there who'd seek to charge you for an EHIC.

Don't fall for it.

Glasgow

"............

Sorry to dissapoint

I'm seldom disappointed.

Get him to ask how much more 'decent' his wage would be if he didn't take the private health care.

He won't feel the need to, he's very happy in his career and more than happy with the renumeration he receives.

His PH cover is in recognition of the position he has attained after a long time served in his chosen career.

He would chuckle at your remark if I told him.....being the very positive person that he is"

Ah. A wage slave.

Glasgow

"............

Sorry to dissapoint

I'm seldom disappointed.

He would chuckle at your remark if I told him.....being the very positive person that he is"

Ah. A wage slave.

Torquay

"............

Sorry to dissapoint

I'm seldom disappointed.

He would chuckle at your remark if I told him.....being the very positive person that he is

Ah. A wage slave."

No....a hard worker, who started at the very bottom rung of the ladder and is enjoying the benefits a long career brings.

Glasgow

[Removed by poster at 12/12/12 00:37:22]

Glasgow

"

Ah. A wage slave.

No....a hard worker, who started at the very bottom rung of the ladder and is enjoying the benefits a long career brings.

"

As you wish.

By *abioMan  over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

"

i think the NHS would be very high on the list of things most brits would be proud of...

Torquay

i think the NHS would be very high on the list of things most brits would be proud of...

"

One of the greatest achievements of this country I should think, I know that my family have a lot to be grateful for regarding the NHS.

"

Most wouldn't know what is was they were being proud of. Turning up at A&E and being seen, eventually, after a 4 hour wait, by some foreign speaking doctor who's been on shift for 72 hours isn't something I'd be proud of.

Having another hospital give my neice FIVE dates for a vital operation to save her sight and cancelling them hours before the op was scheduled isn't something to be proud of either.

Just because it's free (which it isn't of course) doesn't make it a wonderful system of healthcare.

Scrap the NHS and ensure that the portion of N.I. contribs that goes to the NHS is diverted and let's have a system where everyone pays for decent govt assisted healthcare so that the rich pay for their care and poor get a similar subsidised service. And while we're at it we should put a stop to the hordes of medical tourists that flood into the UK because it's free (for them, not us).

Quote "wud u opt out of the national health system if u cud ?"

It tends to be forgotten that this contribution pays for more than the NHS it also pays for your state pension and benefits (if your lucky) if you are sick or unemployed. With the growing number of immigrants/ single mothers and those with no desire to work also those working the system it is being milked and not being used for what it was intended, hence cut backs wether right or wrong

"

Scrap the NHS and ensure that the portion of N.I. contribs that goes to the NHS is diverted and let's have a system where everyone pays for decent govt assisted healthcare so that the rich pay for their care and poor get a similar subsidised service. "

What.. You mean like the NHS? We have one of the best healthcare systems in the world. And if it weren't for foreign medical staff it would fall apart completely. The 'rich' do pay for their healthcare, they pay NHS doctors to do it, and jump the queue, pushing NHS waiting lists!

» Add a new message to this topic