FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > New Blitz Map

New Blitz Map

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

Has anyone else seen the new online map that shows the exact location of every bomb dropped on London during the blitz?

It's quite shocking when you see just how bad it was and it's also a reminder of how much we owe the generation that lived through it.

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

I saw this on yahoo news before but not had time to investigate it further at the mo

Looks like interesting stuff

Yes, I had a really good look at it today. It is shocking but at the same time it's a phenomenal piece of work.

Who would have though a bomb census was possible? Did you wonder how exactly each single bomb's location was recorded amongst such chaos and devastation?

What's also incredible is when you look at the complete battering that London took - what beautiful city it has remained. Amongst all of the modern bulidings ans structures there are still thousands of intricate places that somehow managed to not get totally destroyed.

You cannot imagine how that was possible when you zoom out of the map and the red dots obliterate the map.

By *he Original TTMan  over a year ago

Brackley, Northants

I have seen this and am not surprised by how thorough it is.

My Grandfather was a member of the London Fire Brigade during the Second World War, and part of their duties was to record where every bomb had fallen.

Amazing considering how hazardous their job was.

He told me once of a time when they got a shout to go to a burning building in the East End, and while there he was manning the pumps. A bomb fell down the road and took out the water main. He had to go into the building to tell the others that the water was gone, came back out and the fire engine was gone - hit by a bomb while he was inside...! Scary stuff, and shows just how dangerous it was.

There was a very good film made in the 50's called 'The Bells Go Down' starring Tommy Trinder (in a rare straight role) that fairly accurately showed what the LFB (and AFS - Auxilliary Fire Service) went through.

We owe them a lot more than they were given credit for, and they are some of the unsung heroes of the war IMHO.

Brackley, Northants

"I have seen this and am not surprised by how thorough it is.

My Grandfather was a member of the London Fire Brigade during the Second World War, and part of their duties was to record where every bomb had fallen.

He told me once of a time when they got a shout to go to a burning building in the East End, and while there he was manning the pumps. A bomb fell down the road and took out the water main. He had to go into the building to tell the others that the water was gone, came back out and the fire engine was gone - hit by a bomb while he was inside...! Scary stuff, and shows just how dangerous it was.

There was a very good film made in the 50's called 'The Bells Go Down' starring Tommy Trinder (in a rare straight role) that fairly accurately showed what the LFB (and AFS - Auxilliary Fire Service) went through.

We owe them a lot more than they were given credit for, and they are some of the unsung heroes of the war IMHO.

"

Actually just realised (cos I checked!) and the film was made in 1943 - still fresh in the memory at the time!

By *rightonsteveMan  over a year ago

Brighton - even Hove!

I've seen it and it's fascinating.

Brackley, Northants

Link to the BBC article http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-20637222

By *icketysplitsWoman  over a year ago

Way over Yonder, that's where I'm bound

Bumping this. It's on the news now in London.

There used to be Blitz walk you could do around London.

If you have seen The London No One Knows (I think that's what it is called), made in the 60s you can still see so much of the devastation. The estate I grew up on was built on a bombsite and the park behind my home used to be a street full of houses.

By *kywatcherMan  over a year ago

Southwick

Thanks for the info on this. My dad's house was destroyed just off the Roman Road whilst he was in Belgium. We had a nostalgic walk round the East end 20 years ago to see where he lived. It was reconstructed in the sixties. I will check out the link when I can get to a computer.

By *ouple in LancashireCouple  over a year ago

in Lancashire

"I have seen this and am not surprised by how thorough it is.

"

agree totally...

By *emmefataleWoman  over a year ago

dirtybigbadsgirlville

Fascinating, i have bookmarked the website ans will be perusing. Jesus they went through some shit didnt they....

By *Ryan-Man  over a year ago

In Your Bush

Apologies as I have not read all the thread, but does it just show London?

By *emmefataleWoman  over a year ago

dirtybigbadsgirlville

"Apologies as I have not read all the thread, but does it just show London? "
yes

By *icketysplitsWoman  over a year ago

Way over Yonder, that's where I'm bound

"Apologies as I have not read all the thread, but does it just show London? yes"

I am sure with just a little bit of pressure the other blitzed areas could be done too.

One of the organisations I used to be involved with acted as the contact point for blitzed out people. Husbands fighting away might not know where their family ended up until returning home. No home there and no information about where they had gone. The archives on this are fascinating as some of the letters seeking displaced people go well into the 50s.

By *ayjay218Man  over a year ago

Aberdeen

"Has anyone else seen the new online map that shows the exact location of every bomb dropped on London during the blitz?

It's quite shocking when you see just how bad it was and it's also a reminder of how much we owe the generation that lived through it. "

By *iamondsmiles.Woman  over a year ago

little house on the praire

Thankyou, ive sent jay the link, he will be in his element. Lots of war stuff coming up on the forums lately

Please don't take this the wrong way but I think the uk wasn't bombed enough. If you take Germany for example it was totaly blitz after the war it got rebuilt new houses factorys everything all the latest tec fairplay. What were wee left with old out dated crap which we couldn't afford to replace. I left school in 1985 started work and the machine I was using was pre war. So it makes you think who won us or them.

By *rightonsteveMan  over a year ago

Brighton - even Hove!

"Please don't take this the wrong way but I think the uk wasn't bombed enough. If you take Germany for example it was totaly blitz after the war it got rebuilt new houses factorys everything all the latest tec fairplay. What were wee left with old out dated crap which we couldn't afford to replace. I left school in 1985 started work and the machine I was using was

pre war. So it makes you think who won

us or them. "

It's a small cost to pay. I'd rather be poor and free than a Nazi slave. I like Germans though, their trains are clean and run on time.

"Please don't take this the wrong way but I think the uk wasn't bombed enough. If you take Germany for example it was totaly blitz after the war it got rebuilt new houses factorys everything all the latest tec fairplay. What were wee left with old out dated crap which we couldn't afford to replace. I left school in 1985 started work and the machine I was using was

pre war. So it makes you think who won

us or them.

It's a small cost to pay. I'd rather be poor and free than a Nazi slave. I like Germans though, their trains are clean and run on time."

I'm not saying be a nazi slave just the germans should have dropped a lot more bombs

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

They would've had they had the capabilty to do so. The only reason Germany got bombed more was simply down to larger aircraft, more of them and because they were losing the war by the time the RAF and USAAF really got into their stride.

Terrible suffering on both sides.

By *ouple in LancashireCouple  over a year ago

in Lancashire

"I'm not saying be a nazi slave just the germans should have dropped a lot more bombs"

you are not seriously suggesting that...???

By *atisfy janeWoman  over a year ago

Torquay

"Please don't take this the wrong way but I think the uk wasn't bombed enough. If you take Germany for example it was totaly blitz after the war it got rebuilt new houses factorys everything all the latest tec fairplay. What were wee left with old out dated crap which we couldn't afford to replace. I left school in 1985 started work and the machine I was using was pre war. So it makes you think who won us or them. "

These forums get more and more weird by the day....

By *exki11enWoman  over a year ago

Bristol

"

I'm not saying be a nazi slave just the germans should have dropped a lot more bombs"

Yeah, around the Bridgend area for a start.....

Jeez if some people would engage their brains before speaking......

» Add a new message to this topic