FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > The problem with weight watchers.

The problem with weight watchers.

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *hagTonight OP   Man  over a year ago

From the land of haribos.

I watched a fun video from coach greg, here it is https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cS9evFXGl-Q

Whilst weight watchers is good in general, he reviewed a video from joe rogan who interviews joey diaz about weight watchers and how calories are not the same from bananas, depending on what form it comes in, joe was also surprised and said what.

That is, eating fruit and consuming it blended is 2 different things, if you eat fruit it is going to help you to lose weight, is 0 points, but if you put a banana into a blender you are going to gain weight. I agree with greg, you cant break the law of thermodynamics, what is your view of it?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

How does it change by being in a blender?

Do I have to just deep throat bananas whole without chewing?

By *ittle_brat_evie!!Woman  over a year ago

evesham

The theory they use is one ...you make thesigars more Accessible by breaking down the fibre available when you simply chew it. Fibre slows the absorption of carbohydrates. Two.....in the case of say fresh orange juice....you would not sit there and eat 3 oranges in one sitting but a pint glass of orange juice will have that amount or more in. Again, missing the dietary fibre.

I dunno if it's bollocks or not. Particularly the chewing Vs blending part.

For some it works and stays off, for others it works and then goes back on again because they haven't dealt with the psychological aspect of over eating, they've just applied the mathematical equation that most people think is all you need.

By *aomilatteCouple  over a year ago

Midlands

"How does it change by being in a blender?

Do I have to just deep throat bananas whole without chewing?"

Page 1 on hot pics?

Taking notes there

Yes, it seems abit confusing doesnt it

Do I have to just deep throat bananas whole without chewing?

Page 1 on hot pics? "

Fab my banananananana.

(It's a long one)

evesham

Oh and when you chew food the mastication will start the breakdown of the sugars due to enzymes in your saliva. This won't happen when you simply blend food ergo the sugars reach the guy in a far more in tact form than usual.

Science

evesham

Gut not guy

By *uke olovingmanMan  over a year ago

Gravesend

spit ..don't swallow them

By *ohn KanakaMan  over a year ago

Not all that North of North London

Very few people who use weighteatchers or slimming world maintain their weightless. As a business plan, people sustaining their weightless isn't great for them.

A lot of what they say is bollocks,I've worked with people using both, and it seems nutrition isn't a consideration, similarly exercise isn't seem as a necessity.

I think that sums them up

By *inaTitzTV/TS  over a year ago

Titz Towers, North Notts

"Very few people who use weighteatchers or slimming world maintain their weightless. As a business plan, people sustaining their weightless isn't great for them.

"

I love the typo with weightless - I've now got this lovely vision of all of these people there floating about the room like extras from Moonraker

Sounds like a bog standard approach to use bad science to achieve questionable results that encourage worse advice.

evesham

"Very few people who use weighteatchers or slimming world maintain their weightless. As a business plan, people sustaining their weightless isn't great for them.

A lot of what they say is bollocks,I've worked with people using both, and it seems nutrition isn't a consideration, similarly exercise isn't seem as a necessity.

"

In fact you are repeatedly told that exercise will not aid your weight loss, it wil simply tone you up. Which is odd because slimming world used to have body magic where you could claim reward stickers for consistent activity.

By *dy-ukTV/TS  over a year ago

Alcester

Similar reason too why rare steak is more healthy than well cooked steak.

Rarer steak isn't destroyed and takes more effort for the body to digest and break down.

Well done has lost most of its integrity and easy to break down.

I love my meat pink and juicy

By *om and JennieCouple  over a year ago

Chams or Socials

"I watched a fun video from coach greg, here it is https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cS9evFXGl-Q

Whilst weight watchers is good in general, he reviewed a video from joe rogan who interviews joey diaz about weight watchers and how calories are not the same from bananas, depending on what form it comes in, joe was also surprised and said what.

That is, eating fruit and consuming it blended is 2 different things, if you eat fruit it is going to help you to lose weight, is 0 points, but if you put a banana into a blender you are going to gain weight. I agree with greg, you cant break the law of thermodynamics, what is your view of it? "

This is what we were told when I followed slimming world. Stick to raw where possible

By *rHotNottsMan  over a year ago

Dubai & Nottingham

"

Very few people who follow any diet maintain changes long term. The industry is designed around the yo-yo effect, motivation and momentum only lasts so long, you can’t live your life relying on it. Look at these people years even decades later they are struggling with the exact same problems. I would say the same for “super healthy” people who count and control everything, they too have an eating disorder.

In fact you are repeatedly told that exercise will not aid your weight loss, it wil simply tone you up. Which is odd because slimming world used to have body magic where you could claim reward stickers for consistent activity. "

I have a friend who was banned from slimming world meetings because at the time she joined she started couch to 5km, ultimately she ran some more than respectable half marathons and a marathon but her attending meetings to monitor weightless having hit her target was discouraged and then banned because she was too enthusiastic about the benefits of exercise and wasn't considered to be 'on brand'. It's madness.

In my opinion, I feel that diet plans are a sort of short circuit suggestion for what could work for you. I think the only way to fully understand what works for you, is by just observing what you eat and see the way it effects you. Do you feel bloated after, do you feel satisfied after, etc.

evesham

In fact you are repeatedly told that exercise will not aid your weight loss, it wil simply tone you up. Which is odd because slimming world used to have body magic where you could claim reward stickers for consistent activity.

I have a friend who was banned from slimming world meetings because at the time she joined she started couch to 5km, ultimately she ran some more than respectable half marathons and a marathon but her attending meetings to monitor weightless having hit her target was discouraged and then banned because she was too enthusiastic about the benefits of exercise and wasn't considered to be 'on brand'. It's madness."

That's madness! My group leader was always very encouraging of my exercise at the time but very keen to explain that I was doing my own thing when it came to exercise and that not everyone had to do it.

"The theory they use is one ...you make thesigars more Accessible by breaking down the fibre available when you simply chew it. Fibre slows the absorption of carbohydrates. Two.....in the case of say fresh orange juice....you would not sit there and eat 3 oranges in one sitting but a pint glass of orange juice will have that amount or more in. Again, missing the dietary fibre.

I dunno if it's bollocks or not. Particularly the chewing Vs blending part.

For some it works and stays off, for others it works and then goes back on again because they haven't dealt with the psychological aspect of over eating, they've just applied the mathematical equation that most people think is all you need. "

Yes, the theory and logic behind it, is a strange one isnt it?

"Sounds like a bog standard approach to use bad science to achieve questionable results that encourage worse advice. "
Yes and it also sounds like "trust the science" approach there.

Very few people who follow any diet maintain changes long term. The industry is designed around the yo-yo effect, motivation and momentum only lasts so long, you can’t live your life relying on it. Look at these people years even decades later they are struggling with the exact same problems. I would say the same for “super healthy” people who count and control everything, they too have an eating disorder. "

Eating disorders in men as well as women are definitely a signoficant problem ajd one thst isn't talked about enough.

Like most things in life, and as you say, the extremities are really not healthy.

By *orny PTMan  over a year ago

Peterborough

Do I have to just deep throat bananas whole without chewing?Yes, it seems a bit confusing doesn't it "

Not really.

Have you ever seen a box of tablets that say "Do not chew, swallow"?

This is to basically pace the dosage: which if released instantly may cause an overdose or just not work very well.

Now imagine setting fire to your petrol tank which is now full (I vaguely remember having that!).

Kabooooom!

Very soon it will be empty and you will not travelled very far, unless you were flung out of the burning wreckage.

Very destructive and not at all desirable.

So if your food is liquidised, then the surface area of said banana is increased and the absorption rate of those nutrients is taken up with so much speed, that the body just can't cope with this and either react badly with, sugar spikes, eliminate the fibre, via the bowels or just store it as fat.

Liquid foods are great for ill people, who can't chew or need to recover at an accelerated pace.

Smoothies tend to be full of sugars/fructose, where soups tend to be full of salts from savoury foods, meat, fish, poultry, grains and other starch based sources.

Sugar, so sweet and yet so deadly.

Peterborough

I have a friend who was banned from slimming world meetings because at the time she joined she started couch to 5km, ultimately she ran some more than respectable half marathons and a marathon but her attending meetings to monitor weightless having hit her target was discouraged and then banned because she was too enthusiastic about the benefits of exercise and wasn't considered to be 'on brand'. It's madness."

This sounds like big business/big pharma in the States: we don't like being beaten by the amateurs.

Some facts to back this up would be good.

Peterborough

There are certain foods that should never, ever be eaten raw.

Kidney beans (Remember the Esther Rantzen campaign)

are one example.

As for raw eggs and raw milk. If you're immunocompromised, then it's best avoided. Americans tend to have their eggs washed and refrigerated, before they buy them: hence the need for fridges to little plastic egg trays.

Eggs over here are not washed, hence the outer layer is not compromised and they can be sold as an ambient product. (Remember the Edwina Currie egg scandal),

Moral here experts and politicians can and do get it wrong.

Look at the Atkins diet.

Do I have to just deep throat bananas whole without chewing?Yes, it seems a bit confusing doesn't it

Not really.

This is to basically pace the dosage: which if released instantly may cause an overdose or just not work very well.

Now imagine setting fire to your petrol tank which is now full (I vaguely remember having that!).

Kabooooom!

Very soon it will be empty and you will not travelled very far, unless you were flung out of the burning wreckage.

So if your food is liquidised, then the surface area of said banana is increased and the absorption rate of those nutrients is taken up with so much speed, that the body just can't cope with this and either react badly with, sugar spikes, eliminate the fibre, via the bowels or just store it as fat.

Liquid foods are great for ill people, who can't chew or need to recover at an accelerated pace.

Smoothies tend to be full of sugars/fructose, where soups tend to be full of salts from savoury foods, meat, fish, poultry, grains and other starch based sources.

"

That is also right, although the calories would still be the same whether it is in hard or liquid form

evesham

Do I have to just deep throat bananas whole without chewing?Yes, it seems a bit confusing doesn't it

Not really.

Kabooooom!

That is also right, although the calories would still be the same whether it is in hard or liquid form "

It's almost as if it's not just calories that we need to consider but also the other bits and bobs in the food

Peterborough

Not really.

Kabooooom!

That is also right, although the calories would still be the same whether it is in hard or liquid form

It's almost as if it's not just calories that we need to consider but also the other bits and bobs in the food "

Time is key here.

By *ornycougaWoman  over a year ago

Wherever I lay my hat

Hocus pocus. Eat/drink less. Move more. Ideally both. Simples

Weight watchers isn't too bad and can be quite helpful in losing weight. Slimming world on the other hand is terrible. No portion control and it's all about sugar intake and not calories.

Not really.

Kabooooom!

It's almost as if it's not just calories that we need to consider but also the other bits and bobs in the food

Time is key here."

Yes, it seems so doesnt it, that it is other bits too lol

evesham

"Hocus pocus. Eat/drink less. Move more. Ideally both. Simples"

Deal with psychological demons and other medical issues such as hormone imbalances and medications that fuck your brain chemicals up as well!

Not so simples

By *ophieslutTV/TS  over a year ago

Central

Hundreds of thousands of years of human evolution, means that we're trying to outpace a seasoned competitor, who will adapt, change and switch things about, in a bid to outsmart what we're trying to impose on ourselves via dieting.

Some weight loss is possible by many means but it's only the sustained weight loss that's valuable. I don't think WW, etc fare that well with this.

By *phroditeWoman  over a year ago

(She/ her) in Sensualityland

"Hocus pocus. Eat/drink less. Move more. Ideally both. Simples

Deal with psychological demons and other medical issues such as hormone imbalances and medications that fuck your brain chemicals up as well!

Not so simples "

Agreed - if it were that simple there would not be so many people struggling.

evesham

Not so simples

"

I absolutely agree that it should be a simple math equation and at its core it is but the whole issue is so much more.

Not so simples

"

I guess simple doesn't mean easy. The hunger drive is one of the core drives and one that is most easily fed (excuse the pun)

To OP:

I don't immediately buy the thermodynamic argument. It assumes that we are 100pc.l effeicent in converting calories in food. We aren't. So it's not calories in that matters. But calories absorbed.

I'd also say that there's something in the non calorific properties of unblended bananas. Namely the ability to create a feeling of fullness.

Go and have a look at what's in a large bottle of innocent. Now, I could easily drink that bottle in one sitting. I don't reckon it would be as easy to do that with the raw fruit. I'd eat less.....

Peterborough

"Hocus pocus. Eat/drink less. Move more. Ideally both. Simples"

don't get polycystic ovaries or any other hormonal problem.

Peterborough

Not so simples

I guess simple doesn't mean easy. The hunger drive is one of the core drives and one that is most easily fed (excuse the pun)

To OP:

I don't immediately buy the thermodynamic argument. It assumes that we are 100pc.l effeicent in converting calories in food. We aren't. So it's not calories in that matters. But calories absorbed.

I'd also say that there's something in the non calorific properties of unblended bananas. Namely the ability to create a feeling of fullness.

Go and have a look at what's in a large bottle of innocent. Now, I could easily drink that bottle in one sitting. I don't reckon it would be as easy to do that with the raw fruit. I'd eat less..... "

Swallowing fluids is far more efficient than biting, chewing and then swallowing, less muscle ache.

By *unfriendly 123Man  over a year ago

boston

Fat club is good

I've lost 14 kgs

evesham

don't get polycystic ovaries or any other hormonal problem."

Very refreshing to see!

By *ex HolesMan  over a year ago

Up North

Weight watchers meetings should be held up a really tall mountain that’s only available by foot which takes at least 4hrs to get there.

That’ll out the wannabes from the serious ones

Peterborough

Very refreshing to see!"

and very horrible to have.

evesham

Very refreshing to see!

and very horrible to have."

Oh I know! Insulin resistance, hirsutism, apple shape that makes me look like a chuppa chup Lolly

By *den-Valley-coupleCouple  over a year ago

Cumbria

No problem with diets it's the people not doing what they know will help them lose weight.

By *inky_couple2020Couple  over a year ago

North West

"Weight watchers meetings should be held up a really tall mountain that’s only available by foot which takes at least 4hrs to get there.

That’ll out the wannabes from the serious ones "

Well, that's me out then

By *mily36CWoman  over a year ago

Bedford (or anywhere beginning with B..!?)

Surely if any 'diet' plan company actually worked, then ultimately they'd go out of business as every one would reach their 'goal' and never need them...??!

By *red333Man  over a year ago

Dorchester

"I watched a fun video from coach greg, here it is https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cS9evFXGl-Q

That is, eating fruit and consuming it blended is 2 different things, if you eat fruit it is going to help you to lose weight, is 0 points, but if you put a banana into a blender you are going to gain weight. I agree with greg, you cant break the law of thermodynamics, what is your view of it? "

I believe that whatever you believe is good for you is good for you

The problem with weight watchers is they don't include a Macdonald's in their daily meal plan.

By *red333Man  over a year ago

Dorchester

"The problem with weight watchers is they don't include a Macdonald's in their daily meal plan. "
egg muffin mmmmm

"Surely if any 'diet' plan company actually worked, then ultimately they'd go out of business as every one would reach their 'goal' and never need them...??! "
Yes, company diets would then go out of business if it did work, so they design it this way to keep them comming back.

Peterborough

Majorie Dawes "You'll never run out of fatties" "large donner with large chips and everything and no bleedin' salad!"

"Fat club is good

I've lost 14 kgs "

Well done .

"No problem with diets it's the people not doing what they know will help them lose weight."
That is right and also, usually the problem is that people dont stick long enough on a diet to see it work, they want instant results

"Fat club is good

I've lost 14 kgs Well done ."

Yes me too. With fasting.

I have tried the all, ww, slimming world, unislim, lipotrim, slim fast etc

And I've lost weight gained weight, lost it gained it

The diet industry is the most successful unsuccessful business ever

I'm now 48, on hrt and the penny has dropped

I've rejoined slimming world for the support, the weekly weigh in.

I've lost a stone in 8 wks but I'm combining exercise with healthy eating , I'm watching how I cook and prepare my food , portion sizes having a treat ( even though I'm trying not to use this word)

And its working I've accepted its a lifestyle change not just a quick fix

I'm a comfort eater and I'm also working on the mental side of my weight loss

Way I see it do what works for you, everyone is different

Yup

Greg is good but his voice can be a bit grating after a while

[Removed by poster at 19/10/22 20:50:50]

"Fat club is good

I've lost 14 kgs Well done .

Yes me too. With fasting. "

Yes, well done to you too

"Fat club is good

I've lost 14 kgs Well done .

Yes me too. With fasting. Yes, well done to you too "

Thank you Shag Tonight

"I have tried the all, ww, slimming world, unislim, lipotrim, slim fast etc

I've lost a stone in 8 wks but I'm combining exercise with healthy eating , I'm watching how I cook and prepare my food , portion sizes having a treat ( even though I'm trying not to use this word)

Way I see it do what works for you, everyone is different "

Well done and yes, there are a lot of diets out there and yes, it is just a matter of finding the one that suits

By *ust RachelTV/TS  over a year ago

Horsham

"

Slimming world is great for kick starting your weight loss, but I read somewhere that long term it doesn't work.

By *rs mischiefWoman  over a year ago

Manchester

Not so simples "

This!

By *rs mischiefWoman  over a year ago

Manchester

"I have tried the all, ww, slimming world, unislim, lipotrim, slim fast etc

Way I see it do what works for you, everyone is different "

This sounds alot like me. ????

boston

Simply eat less calories than u burn

Since May I have reduced my belly by 8 inches

By *ungry CatCouple  over a year ago

Belfast

Have an opinion on it, but would prefer to actually participate tomorrow so tagging myself into this.

Missus

I love it when thermodynamics raises its head in these threads. It's a red herring.

If you stick a banana in a bomb calorimeter (the machine that measures calories) and then a banana that's had violence done to it in a blender, you'll get the same answer out.

The key is that, whole, the banana's fibre isn't broken down so the CALORIC AVAILABILITY is lower than blitzed banana. Other factors also come into play, like the length of your long intestine and your gut microbiome (and other stuff). It's this kind of thing that dictates how many calories your body extracts from food. Then there's how it's used, but that's another story ...

C.

That is, eating fruit and consuming it blended is 2 different things, if you eat fruit it is going to help you to lose weight, is 0 points, but if you put a banana into a blender you are going to gain weight. I agree with greg, you cant break the law of thermodynamics, what is your view of it?

This is what we were told when I followed slimming world. Stick to raw where possible "

Yes and also when some blends it, they might add more ingredients.

This is what we were told when I followed slimming world. Stick to raw where possible Yes and also when some blends it, they might add more ingredients."

boston

14 kgs down since May

Peterborough

There is one elephant in the room and that's not being overweight, its being underweight.

Why is there NOBODY, looking after cancer patients, bulimics and anorexics?

Their weight is alway being self watched and they need to stop their weight loss and rebuild their correct body mass.

Yes, I do know about the high fat and protein based MacMillan cookery book and it's a great idea.

"Don't use skimmed or smi skimmed milk, use full fat or Jersey milk."

These people are getting sidelined by the anti obesity industry. They need our help too.

Cafes and the like need to know this.

By *adCherriesCouple  over a year ago

Cheshire/Northwest

"There is one elephant in the room and that's not being overweight, its being underweight.

Their weight is alway being self watched and they need to stop their weight loss and rebuild their correct body mass.

Yes, I do know about the high fat and protein based MacMillan cookery book and it's a great idea.

These people are getting sidelined by the anti obesity industry. They need our help too.

Cafes and the like need to know this."

Underweight people who have a diagnosed illness, get high calorie protein shakes from the nhs and get a Dietitian- so I'm not sure why you assume nobody is helping them?

The problem with weight watchers Is that it’s a cult.

Sorry. Carry on.

Peterborough

"There is one elephant in the room and that's not being overweight, its being underweight.

Cafes and the like need to know this.

Underweight people who have a diagnosed illness, get high calorie protein shakes from the nhs and get a Dietitian- so I'm not sure why you assume nobody is helping them?"

That's great to here but is watching weight watcher ads on telly helping? Is only having semi skimeed in almost every coffee shop/eatery helping?

It's the people outside of the healthcare that are not helping.

"Greg is good but his voice can be a bit grating after a while "
Yes. I like gregs voice and the rants he have as well

Coach Greg is the GOAT

"Taking notes there "
That is good

By *astle321Man  over a year ago

pershore

I get most of my calories in the form of alcohol.

Surely not a bad thing ?

» Add a new message to this topic