FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Food Banks

Food Banks

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *eavy Metal Ballz OP   Man  over a year ago

Birmingham

Is it right that in this day and age people are having to resort to food banks?

More and more communities and charities are setting them up.

What's your _iews?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *atisfy janeWoman  over a year ago

Torquay

We donated enough Hot Chocolate mix to make over Three hundred cups to the Exeter Salvation Army appeal this week.

It's a disgrace that the numbers of homeless people in the UK has risen by over a quarter since the last election....but not a surprise.

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago
Forum Mod

There was a really interesting programme about food banks recently

Some of the stories were heartbreaking and it was shocking to see how people can so quickly get to a point in theor lives where they need this support,its like we're a hidden third world country,some clearly needed the support and others blatently abused the good nature of the system and make me sick with disgust when they were found out

Birmingham

Agree with you about the rising homelessness rates Jane, but it's not just the homeless who are surviving on them.

Sad thing is its only going to get worse as the social welfare cuts kick in.

By *iamondsmiles.Woman  over a year ago

little house on the praire

No its not right, it never is right. However, i do think those of us that are fortunate enough not to have to really on them can afford an extra tin of beans with our shopping

Birmingham

"There was a really interesting programme about food banks recently

Some of the stories were heartbreaking and it was shocking to see how people can so quickly get to a point in theor lives where they need this support,its like we're a hidden third world country,some clearly needed the support and others blatently abused the good nature of the system and make me sick with disgust when they were found out"

I saw that program HPC, it's been on our local news tonight. It's true that there does seem to be a hidden third world community.

Also I was reading about how a lot of families and households are two wage packets away from being in real trouble. Amazing!

Heard a guy from a charity which provides food banks talking on the radio a couple of weeks back. In two years they've seen a 600% increase in the banks they have set up and can't keep up with demand.

We really haven't made any social advance at all in the last 100 years when you look at what's happening. Been deluding ourselves....

its an utter disgrace that this country should have food banks opening up all over the country and the demand from poor and homeless ppl is shockingly high . the government should hang there head in shame utterly disgusting.austerity is not working it is crippling families and sending them to the wall

The charity was The Tressell Trust. Just googled it.

"its an utter disgrace that this country should have food banks opening up all over the country and the demand from poor and homeless ppl is shockingly high . the government should hang there head in shame utterly disgusting.austerity is not working it is crippling families and sending them to the wall "

"its an utter disgrace that this country should have food banks opening up all over the country and the demand from poor and homeless ppl is shockingly high . the government should hang there head in shame utterly disgusting.austerity is not working it is crippling families and sending them to the wall "

By *ucsparkMan  over a year ago

dudley

Over the last few years they seem to be quite a few around here setting up. Local media are on about people walking miles to get food from them because they can not afford transport cost to get there

By *ezebelWoman  over a year ago

North of The Wall - youll need your vest

Every supermarket Ive been in in the last 2 weeks is collecting donations for local foodbanks, and our local news has been running reports most days.

Shows just how much some people are struggling.

"Every supermarket Ive been in in the last 2 weeks is collecting donations for local foodbanks, and our local news has been running reports most days.

Shows just how much some people are struggling."

Wonder if Gideon Osborne will be queuing up at his local food bank with his family this Christmas?

After all, "we're all in it together".... eh Gideon..... ?????

By *hérieWoman  over a year ago

North Wales

Total disgrace and a sorry state of affairs.

The so called powers that be should be made to live a YEAR in the life of a homeless person to qualify to make the terrible decisions they make.

By *ezebelWoman  over a year ago

North of The Wall - youll need your vest

"Every supermarket Ive been in in the last 2 weeks is collecting donations for local foodbanks, and our local news has been running reports most days.

Wonder if Gideon Osborne will be queuing up at his local food bank with his family this Christmas?

"

Well as he's my MP Ill let you know if I see him making his donations

Forum Mod

What really gets me,especially at this time of year is that the children of those families that are struggling for food,won't have a very merry christmas at all,I hate the thought of any child waking up on christmas morning with no present to open

Well as he's my MP Ill let you know if I see him making his donations "

You have my pity, having that twat as an MP......

Some of the stories were heartbreaking and it was shocking to see how people can so quickly get to a point in theor lives where they need this support,its like we're a hidden third world country,some clearly needed the support and others blatently abused the good nature of the system and make me sick with disgust when they were found out"

Some families with both parents working are on the bread line as well as the unemployed and homeless .... I could weep when I see billions donated to other countries whenever/wherever a disaster or famine hits, yet we are sitting in collapsing houses, streets and roads being swept away by floods.

Insurance companies refusing to pay out compensation or re-insure devastated homes, where is the aid for Britain?

Charity should begin at home .......

Maybe we should be less quick to bail out other countries and look after our own for a change.

Birmingham

Some of the stories were heartbreaking and it was shocking to see how people can so quickly get to a point in theor lives where they need this support,its like we're a hidden third world country,some clearly needed the support and others blatently abused the good nature of the system and make me sick with disgust when they were found out

Some families with both parents working are on the bread line as well as the unemployed and homeless .... I could weep when I see billions donated to other countries whenever/wherever a disaster or famine hits, yet we are sitting in collapsing houses, streets and roads being swept away by floods.

Insurance companies refusing to pay out compensation or re-insure devastated homes, where is the aid for Britain?

Maybe we should be less quick to bail out other countries and look after our own for a change. "

You know Gloria, I've alway been an outward/forward thinking person regards foreign aid and development but really starting to question that _iew recently.

Confused of Brum.

Maybe we should be less quick to bail out other countries and look after our own for a change. "

I quite agree with you here, there are families in this country that need more support, even with two wage packets there are a fair few families struggling to pay all their bills and feed them selfs!!

The cost of living has increased considerably, but the pay packets haven't! It's not right in this day and age for anyone to rely on food parcels, or for the elderly to sit at home worried about how they are going to pay the heating bill!

By *winkletoes80Woman  over a year ago

redditch

[Removed by poster at 06/12/12 21:34:11]

redditch

This year has been the worst ever for me , lost my job , house , husband ! So I moved in with my dad who also lost his job , I've never wanted to claim benefits and hope not to be on them long but how they expect you to live its a joke ! I'm starting to struggle to keep me , my dad and daughter going especially with Christmas coming up . I can see why people are using these food banks . The government need to blinking close the gates to this country so there's jobs for us British people

By *he Happy ManMan  over a year ago

Merseyside

In this day and age it is disgusting we have people so poor they need to go to food banks. The minimum wage should be £10 not £6.19.

Torquay

"In this day and age it is disgusting we have people so poor they need to go to food banks. The minimum wage should be £10 not £6.19."

If the minimum wage was £10 half the small businesses in the country would fold within a few months and the unemployment figures would swell massively...

Torquay

"This year has been the worst ever for me , lost my job , house , husband ! So I moved in with my dad who also lost his job , I've never wanted to claim benefits and hope not to be on them long but how they expect you to live its a joke ! I'm starting to struggle to keep me , my dad and daughter going especially with Christmas coming up . I can see why people are using these food banks . The government need to blinking close the gates to this country so there's jobs for us British people "

British people wouldn't do half the jobs that many immigrants do....that's the harsh truth.

For years that we had abundant gas n oil and what did the gov do with it? Not to mention all the national assets that were sold off during the same period.

redditch

"This year has been the worst ever for me , lost my job , house , husband ! So I moved in with my dad who also lost his job , I've never wanted to claim benefits and hope not to be on them long but how they expect you to live its a joke ! I'm starting to struggle to keep me , my dad and daughter going especially with Christmas coming up . I can see why people are using these food banks . The government need to blinking close the gates to this country so there's jobs for us British people

British people wouldn't do half the jobs that many immigrants do....that's the harsh truth."

Well I would ! Can't comment for the rest though ,

I hate the old "if they shut the gates" comments, and they keep getting trotted out.

I work in HR.

I live in a rural area with alot of fields and food factories.

FACT - British people we see for inter_iews refuse to do that kind of work and CHOOSE to sit home and claim benefits.

FACT - Migrants add alot to our country and do alot of the hard graft that British people won't do.

FACT - the small minority give the rest a bad name.

There ARE jobs out there, it just depends how fussy you are.

redditch

"I hate the old "if they shut the gates" comments, and they keep getting trotted out.

I work in HR.

FACT - British people we see for inter_iews refuse to do that kind of work and CHOOSE to sit home and claim benefits.

FACT - Migrants add alot to our country and do alot of the hard graft that British people won't do.

There ARE jobs out there, it just depends how fussy you are. "

I'm speaking for myself ! I'm not fussy I'm desperate to find a job

"I hate the old "if they shut the gates" comments, and they keep getting trotted out.

I work in HR.

There ARE jobs out there, it just depends how fussy you are. .

I'm speaking for myself ! I'm not fussy I'm desperate to find a job "

And you are a small minority.

Honestly the amount of British people I hear day in day out who tell me it's because of the migrants that they don't have jobs.

It's ridiculous and drives me insane.

I will employ the best person for the job, irrespective of where they come from.

By *phroditeWoman  over a year ago

(She/ her) in Sensualityland

I work in HR.

I'm speaking for myself ! I'm not fussy I'm desperate to find a job "

Dont give up - hope you find something suitable soon!

As for the food banks - it is the same in other European countries, a couple of my relatives help out in the distribution and some of the genuine poverty they see on a daily basis was unimaginable only a few years ago. It is not unique to Britain.

redditch

I work in HR.

I'm speaking for myself ! I'm not fussy I'm desperate to find a job

And you are a small minority.

Honestly the amount of British people I hear day in day out who tell me it's because of the migrants that they don't have jobs.

It's ridiculous and drives me insane.

I will employ the best person for the job, irrespective of where they come from."

I can see your point don't get me wrong , I m finding it so hard I've been out of work for 4 months I hate it with a passion but can't find Anythink , yes it doesn't help I'm a single mum so limited to what hours I can do

Its sickening that this happens a close friend of mine has used food banks i have helped where i can but still he need them just to survive.

The coalition are aware of the impact their policies are having and believe me this will become more and more of an issue.

When you contrast this with starbucks saying out of goodness of their hearts they will pay 20 mill in tax even though legally not obliged to it says a lot about government priorities they know full well which multi nationals do not pay yet do fuck all to reign them in yet folk have to struggle just to survive.

Ive had to use the food bank a couple of times when ive been really struggling. What makes me sick is the government expect me and many others to live on £56.25 a week and pay heating costs, food, council tax and buy other basic items needed while the mp's have an obscene salary and bonuses and have the life of riley. I for one wouldnt mind swapping places for a day, see how many of them bleat that the system is unfair then x

"Is it right that in this day and age people are having to resort to food banks?

More and more communities and charities are setting them up.

What's your _iews?"

As long as the right people get the food great. There was an expose a little while back when this wasn't the case though.

By *nnyMan  over a year ago

Glasgow

"In this day and age it is disgusting we have people so poor they need to go to food banks. The minimum wage should be £10 not £6.19.

If the minimum wage was £10 half the small businesses in the country would fold within a few months and the unemployment figures would swell massively..."

That's what was threatened when the National Minimum Wage was first introduced and what has been said every time its been increased and it hasn't happened yet.

Increase people's disposable income and they'll spend some of it. They might even spend some of it with small businesses.

I visited one the other day and made a withdrawal at the mash point machine.

Glasgow

"Ive had to use the food bank a couple of times when ive been really struggling. What makes me sick is the government expect me and many others to live on £56.25 a week and pay heating costs, food, council tax and buy other basic items needed while the mp's have an obscene salary and bonuses and have the life of riley. I for one wouldnt mind swapping places for a day, see how many of them bleat that the system is unfair then x"

An MPs salary is a bit under £66,000. Not exactly poverty wages but hardly obscene.

It's a crap job. In the public eye 24x7? 3-4 nights a week away from home? Up for sacking every 4-5 years? Working with people you wouldn't allow in your house?

No wonder it only attracts second raters.

"

Increase people's disposable income and they'll spend some of it. They might even spend some of it with small businesses."

I would support that idea

By *lums121Couple  over a year ago

nottingham

there by the grace of god its a disgrace

and we lead the world what a sham makes me sick to see our own starving

"Ive had to use the food bank a couple of times when ive been really struggling. What makes me sick is the government expect me and many others to live on £56.25 a week and pay heating costs, food, council tax and buy other basic items needed while the mp's have an obscene salary and bonuses and have the life of riley. I for one wouldnt mind swapping places for a day, see how many of them bleat that the system is unfair then x

An MPs salary is a bit under £66,000. Not exactly poverty wages but hardly obscene.

It's a crap job. In the public eye 24x7? 3-4 nights a week away from home? Up for sacking every 4-5 years? Working with people you wouldn't allow in your house?

No wonder it only attracts second raters."

They do get healthy allowances though, massive pensions even if they only do one term and a number of job offers when they leave. Saying that I wouldn't choose to be one as all the others are obnoxious people.

"there by the grace of god its a disgrace

"

I believe that anyone of us could be in that situation within the space of a few months. It makes me kind of humble as nothing is secure anymore, it could happen to anybody!

Glasgow

" ...An MPs salary is a bit under £66,000. Not exactly poverty wages but hardly obscene.

They do get healthy allowances though, massive pensions even if they only do one term and a number of job offers when they leave. Saying that I wouldn't choose to be one as all the others are obnoxious people."

The pension isn't exactly massive. MPs pay contributions for the time they're in post and the House matches it. Lose your seat after one term and you only get that amount commensurate with both contribution.

Merseyside

"In this day and age it is disgusting we have people so poor they need to go to food banks. The minimum wage should be £10 not £6.19.

If the minimum wage was £10 half the small businesses in the country would fold within a few months and the unemployment figures would swell massively..."

All the businesses were saying that when the minimum wage first came out. It never happened. How anyone can live on £6.19 an hour I don't know. A lot of people in this country are vastly underpaid. Food banks prove that as it now just the homeless and unemployed who use them.

Merseyside

"Ive had to use the food bank a couple of times when ive been really struggling. What makes me sick is the government expect me and many others to live on £56.25 a week and pay heating costs, food, council tax and buy other basic items needed while the mp's have an obscene salary and bonuses and have the life of riley. I for one wouldnt mind swapping places for a day, see how many of them bleat that the system is unfair then x

No wonder it only attracts second raters."

Before Blair got in an MP got paid much less money. Blair gave them all a nice pay rise. There was a reason a MP was not paid a lot of money before Blair got in. It was so people did not go into politics for how much money they could earn.

Merseyside

"

Increase people's disposable income and they'll spend some of it. They might even spend some of it with small businesses."

Precisely. If people get paid a decent wage they have money to spend. That money gets spent back into the economy on things like going out for a meal, drinks, buying clothes, going to concerts, buying gadgets etc. Thus helping the economy. Pay people minimum wage they don't have much money to spend. Thus hurting the economy.

Businesses have got far too greedy. In the 1970's the really big boss would earn about 20 times more than his workers. Today he earns 80 times more.

What gives with them smoking cigs at the food bank. They can afford fags but not food so have to scrounge. Genuine its good for but half are out for what they can get.

"What gives with them smoking cigs at the food bank. They can afford fags but not food so have to scrounge. Genuine its good for but half are out for what they can get."

That maybe so but if they have kids you can't let them starve.

If anyone is looking for reasons as to why we have got to such a position in what appears to be a relatively short period of time, I'll give you a statistic that might put things in perspective.

We all need somewhere to live, yes? And we really need that place to live to be at as low a cost as possible as it is, inevitably, the largest chunk out of our earnings.

Let's go back to 1982. Then, the average salary was approx £8,500pa. The average house price was £23,000. In other words, the cost of a place to live was approx 2.7 times the average annual salary.

By 1997 (just about the peak of the housing market) the average salary was, by then, also £23,000pa. But... the average house price by then was......

£192,000.

In other words, in 25 years we had gone from 2.7 times multiple, to OVER 8 TIMES multiple (8.348 to be pedantic).

So, in other words, the average - AVERAGE - 'chunk' being paid out of the average salary just for 'somewhere to live' had increased by... 3.09 TIMES.

Is it any wonder people are running out of money for food..???

Heard a guy on the radio a week or so ago who was predicting the income:place to live cost ratio would continue like this for another TEN years until it corrects itself.

Looks like Food Banks are going to become more and more commonplace....

"there by the grace of god its a disgrace

I believe that anyone of us could be in that situation within the space of a few months. It makes me kind of humble as nothing is secure anymore, it could happen to anybody! "

Very true

By *ap AdgeMan  over a year ago

Wirral

no it not right there are lots of genuine folks struggling single parents do donate everyone

I wander if some of todays problems are the way we spend. If u think back to the days of rationing people adapted and people also made a lot of food from scratch, people mended and made do. Children only had sweets as a very rare treat and only had a few toys.

I prefer to donate to children's charities myself that look after the kids. Food banks are not a bad thing but they are often unregulated and there has been a lot of media exposes about how they are abused.

By *kip123Man  over a year ago

Barry

It pisses me off when the goverment spend anything up to £500,000 on keeping some twat in the country because the human rights brigade say that if he is returned to his own country he will be executed for terrorism. And all the while some poor bloody kid down the road will get sod all for xmas or another poor kid can't have dialasis because the hospital can't afford the nursing staff. How the hell did this country sink to the level of having to have charity food banks. It is bloody digusting

By *ctavius StuntMan  over a year ago

london

"This year has been the worst ever for me , lost my job , house , husband ! So I moved in with my dad who also lost his job , I've never wanted to claim benefits and hope not to be on them long but how they expect you to live its a joke ! I'm starting to struggle to keep me , my dad and daughter going especially with Christmas coming up . I can see why people are using these food banks . The government need to blinking close the gates to this country so there's jobs for us British people

British people wouldn't do half the jobs that many immigrants do....that's the harsh truth."

err sorry but who did the jobs before we allowed mass immigration ? I hate this insult to british workers who through history have achieved incredible things.It would be interesting to know how many jobs we have lost to technology, mostly working class jobs it would seem. Robots now replaced many low to medium skilled jobs and we have things now like self checkouts in supermarkets. with regard to eastern euro migration and the building trade all that achieved was push down wages and massively lower the quality of workmanship. Not forgetting that as much of the money as possible migrants earn is sent home which takes it out of our economy.

"It pisses me off when the goverment spend anything up to £500,000 on keeping some twat in the country because the human rights brigade say that if he is returned to his own country he will be executed for terrorism. And all the while some poor bloody kid down the road will get sod all for xmas or another poor kid can't have dialasis because the hospital can't afford the nursing staff. How the hell did this country sink to the level of having to have charity food banks. It is bloody digusting "

i hardly think people need charoty is a new thing :/

for years people used to approach their local church for handouts when times were tough

British people wouldn't do half the jobs that many immigrants do....that's the harsh truth. err sorry but who did the jobs before we allowed mass immigration ? I hate this insult to british workers who through history have achieved incredible things.It would be interesting to know how many jobs we have lost to technology, mostly working class jobs it would seem. Robots now replaced many low to medium skilled jobs and we have things now like self checkouts in supermarkets. with regard to eastern euro migration and the building trade all that achieved was push down wages and massively lower the quality of workmanship. Not forgetting that as much of the money as possible migrants earn is sent home which takes it out of our economy."

the problem is we have given so many rights and unions to the british worker that attitudes have changed! now we the british are blaming the immigrants for being harder workers.. all we do is sit and demand our rights and they get on and do the job.. maybe their is a lesson to be learnt!

British people wouldn't do half the jobs that many immigrants do....that's the harsh truth. err sorry but who did the jobs before we allowed mass immigration ? I hate this insult to british workers who through history have achieved incredible things.It would be interesting to know how many jobs we have lost to technology, mostly working class jobs it would seem. Robots now replaced many low to medium skilled jobs and we have things now like self checkouts in supermarkets. with regard to eastern euro migration and the building trade all that achieved was push down wages and massively lower the quality of workmanship. Not forgetting that as much of the money as possible migrants earn is sent home which takes it out of our economy.

the problem is we have given so many rights and unions to the british worker that attitudes have changed! now we the british are blaming the immigrants for being harder workers.. all we do is sit and demand our rights and they get on and do the job.. maybe their is a lesson to be learnt!"

oh and ur phrase "most british workers wouldnt do half the jobs they do" is prime example! why wouldnt we? someone has to clean the loo! we should be more grateful to earn money

By *xodussxMan  over a year ago

sheffield

Even in my background country in africa, we don't need a food bank, there is no benefit system and nobody struggle like what i see here.

Here's another 'harsh truth' for you...

When I worked my local taxi rank a few years back, we all knew a regular customer who I'll call Gary.

He worked in London doing building restoration and maintenance work on some of the best properties in Mayfair, Westminster etc. He did something of everything: plastering, chippying etc. He was doing quite well in his game, earning between £150-180 a day. Whenever Gary came up to the rank off his train, he was always clean and tidy, despite having what could be a dirty job at times. He was a good laugh amd told all of us about his wife, kids and what he was doing this weekend to renovate the house he had bought (and stretched himself a bit to buy) a year or so before.

Then, one day we all realised none of us had 'cabbed' Gary in months. No one knew what had become of him.

About six months later, one Friday evening a grubby looking guy in a hoodie and trakkie bottoms came up to the rank, put his head in the front cabs window and asked if he could take him home for about 25% under the right fare. The driver was about to tell him to go and do one, but then he recognised him - it was Gary.

He told him to get in (as he'd always been a good customer and tipped well) and on the way to his 'home' he asked him where he had been.

Gary told him that about 9 months earlier, he had gone into work one Monday morning, they were all gathered together and told that on Friday they were ALL out of a job - over 50 guys. The owner of the company had 'arranged' 50 guys from one of the new Eastern European countries (I don't know which one) who were coming over the next weekend to take over their jobs - at just £60 a day.......

Despite their protestations, neither the owner of the company, nor the landlords they worked for were interested. On the Friday they were paid-up and out on their ears...

In the nine months that followed, Gary lost EVERYTHING - family, marriage, house etc. He was now living in a 'bed-house' - a former 5 bed det house where the rooms have been split in two to creat 10 very small ones - as that is all he could afford on benefits.

And did the boss of his former company pass on the savings to the landlord??? Did he f***!!!! He just sat back and made around £5,000 a day EXTRA profit.

That is the harsh reality - the average working man (and woman!) has been exploited YET AGAIN by bosses who just see bringing in immigrant workers as a way of making yet more profit. Forget the effect on the economy - that is ALL they are interested in... Profit.

Glasgow

"...........

Well as he's my MP Ill let you know if I see him making his donations "

The only donation Osborne will be making to ordinary folk is to piss on them from a great height.

By *ucky_LadsCouple (MM)  over a year ago

Kidderminster+ surrounding areas.

it is not really a new thing is it these food banks?,i mean they have not just appeared this year but have been building up over the past 10 years that i know of.

Torquay

If the minimum wage was £10 half the small businesses in the country would fold within a few months and the unemployment figures would swell massively...

That's what was threatened when the National Minimum Wage was first introduced and what has been said every time its been increased and it hasn't happened yet.

You haven't got a clue....increasing the wage bill over night by over 60% WOULD force many small businesses over the edge within a very short time.

How many people do you yourself employ in your own business?.....not the business you work for or manage, but the business you own?

It doesn't just end with the basic hourly rate...overtime, holiday pay, NI contributions etc etc...

I pay around 25% above the minimum wage to my lot, a near £4 an hour increase would simply make me close my small business down as I, like many tens of thousands of other small business owners just wouldn't bother any more.

Come back to me when you are in the position of employing people for your own small business and tell me otherwise.....I won't hold my breath

By *iewMan  over a year ago
Forum Mod

Angus & Findhorn

[Removed by poster at 07/12/12 18:15:04]

By *iewMan  over a year ago
Forum Mod

Angus & Findhorn

yes it is very sad that some people have to use these to survive

very sad.

and a few could however cut back on fags, sky subscription & mobiles.... to feed themselves.

note: a few

By *ucky_LadsCouple (MM)  over a year ago

Kidderminster+ surrounding areas.

Before Blair got in an MP got paid much less money. Blair gave them all a nice pay rise. There was a reason a MP was not paid a lot of money before Blair got in. It was so people did not go into politics for how much money they could earn. "

cheap acccomadatio,(paid for by us!),free car and travel,(paid for by us!)subsidised meals and fines wines,(subsidised by us!)the MPs have all done rather well out if phoney blairs period in power and they wont need to rush down to the food banks as they settle down to the house of commons where mps of ALL partis sit for christmas dinner with fine expensive wines from the well stocked cellars whilst they call for cheap booze to be stoppped for us the general public and a high tariff per unit of alcohol to be applied to stop binge drinking and to stop you and i from being able to afford a few drinks after a hard weeks work,yes we are ALL in this together!.

By *isscheekychopsWoman  over a year ago

The land of grey peas and bacon

I guess I have seen 2 sides to the story...

I have jad no money and slept on the streets...

To now having a decent job (though not safe) and having a roof over my head.. I promised myself though I'd never sleep on the streets again...

Glasgow

Increase people's disposable income and they'll spend some of it. They might even spend some of it with small businesses.

You haven't got a clue....increasing the wage bill over night by over 60% WOULD force many small businesses over the edge within a very short time.

How many people do you yourself employ in your own business?.....not the business you work for or manage, but the business you own?

It doesn't just end with the basic hourly rate...overtime, holiday pay, NI contributions etc etc...

I pay around 25% above the minimum wage to my lot, a near £4 an hour increase would simply make me close my small business down as I, like many tens of thousands of other small business owners just wouldn't bother any more.

Come back to me when you are in the position of employing people for your own small business and tell me otherwise.....I won't hold my breath"

You're making the basic mistake of looking at this from the position of how doing this would affect you if only YOU had to do it.

We're talking about a situation where ALL employers had to to do and the consequences for the circular flow of income and the marginal propensity to spend.

london

Come back to me when you are in the position of employing people for your own small business and tell me otherwise.....I won't hold my breath"

£7 per hr 40 hr week is £280 per week, less deductions is ...... ?

£100 for rent.

council tax.......?

Travel expenses to and from work ....?

Food........ ?

Fuel bill......

I wonder what that leaves ?

I dont know if it leaves anything for

clothing, telephone, tv licence, dentist bill, prescription charges a social life.

Are there to many people working who have to be susidised by the tax payer in the form of housing benefit, council tax and the like ?

How many small business owners do very nicely out of this arrangement ?

Should the profit made by small business be taken into account when setting wages ?

Torquay

Come back to me when you are in the position of employing people for your own small business and tell me otherwise.....I won't hold my breath

You're making the basic mistake of looking at this from the position of how doing this would affect you if only YOU had to do it.

We're talking about a situation where ALL employers had to to do and the consequences for the circular flow of income and the marginal propensity to spend."

I cannot worry about other businesses, only for my own....I just did a rough calculation, increasing my basic from the current £7.75 an hour to £10.00, together with the increase in the overtime bill and the increase in NI contributions, holiday pay etc.....

Would cost my small business around £39,000-£43,000 a year based on this tax year to date.

I wouldn't have the luxury of waiting for the trickle down change it would make to the general economy, that wouldn't be an overnight knock on effect and it would not come soon enough for my small business.....or tens of thousands (if not more) of other UK small businesses.

The reality is that Tax credits and other benefits increase the hourly rate an awful lot closer to £10.00 an hour than you imagine.

You don't get growth in a struggling economy by killing off thousands of small businesses and adding countless numbers to the unemployment figures...

Glasgow

" .........

I cannot worry about other businesses, only for my own..............

................."

And that is why the country is going to hell in a handcart.

Torquay

" .........

And that is why the country is going to hell in a handcart."

So how many people do YOU employ?

YOU can make a change.....start a business, at your own risk, employ Seven previously unemployed people as I do, pay them week in week out regardless of the production workload, pay NI contributions, pay them holiday and sick pay, personally take less of a wage than your highest earning employee does every week so the business can grow, come home every night and do the accounts and paperwork you can't manage during the day, put even more of your own personal savings into the small business in 2013 so it can grow faster....then, and only then, lecture me about the country going to hell in a handcart.

london

" .........

YOU can make a change.....start a business, at your own risk, employ Seven previously unemployed people as I do, pay them week in week out regardless of the production workload, pay NI contributions, pay them holiday and sick pay, personally take less of a wage than your highest earning employee does every week so the business can grow, come home every night and do the accounts and paperwork you can't manage during the day, put even more of your own personal savings into the small business in 2013 so it can grow faster....then, and only then, lecture me about the country going to hell in a handcart."

ever considered you might not be suited to running a business ?

Torquay

" .........

YOU can make a change.....start a business, at your own risk, employ Seven previously unemployed people as I do, pay them week in week out regardless of the production workload, pay NI contributions, pay them holiday and sick pay, personally take less of a wage than your highest earning employee does every week so the business can grow, come home every night and do the accounts and paperwork you can't manage during the day, put even more of your own personal savings into the small business in 2013 so it can grow faster....then, and only then, lecture me about the country going to hell in a handcart.

ever considered you might not be suited to running a business ?"

Maybe you should lend me some expert advise on the matter?

london

" .........

Maybe you should lend me some expert advise on the matter?"

well im sorry your business is such a burden to you, but did anyone force you into it ? Besides this thread is about food banks not your business.

Maybe you should run your business as a cooperative making all your employees share holders and splitting the responsibility and profits equally between you all. This has been a very succesful ploy when a business has failed and is taken over by the former employees.

By *Ryan-Man  over a year ago

In Your Bush

Dying for a wee, but don't want to miss anything

Glasgow

"Dying for a wee, but don't want to miss anything "

It'll all still be here once you shaken the last drips off

In Your Bush

"Dying for a wee, but don't want to miss anything

It'll all still be here once you shaken the last drips off "

Ok no one swear before I get back

By *illycarrolCouple  over a year ago

n/cle on tyne

and even now the ISPA who advise on MPs wages are recommending 20/25% increase in the parasites wages whilst condeming poor folk to cuts, the worst of cuts have yet to kick in its heartbreaking

london

"and even now the ISPA who advise on MPs wages are recommending 20/25% increase in the parasites wages whilst condeming poor folk to cuts, the worst of cuts have yet to kick in its heartbreaking "

80% of proposed cuts have not been implemented yet.

" .........

Maybe you should lend me some expert advise on the matter?"

I will offer one piece of advice, speaking as someone who does run a small business and who has run a number of other businesses before.

The HARDEST thing any businessman or woman has to face is the decision as to whether the business is VIABLE.

Everyday, as an entrepreneur, you put your heart and soul into something which you plan, prey and hope will turn into something successful.

The sad fact is MOST DON'T. And in the painful process of finding out that that business idea was not viable, people have, do and will continue to lose their entire world (in terms of 'things) and it is without question THE hardest fact to accept that you could not 'make a go of it'.

At any one time, two thirds of businesses are technically 'not viable' - that is an awful position to put employees in who are relying on you for their livelihoods.

It is the easiest thing in the world to blame your own staff for wanting to be paid 'regardless of productivity' - but you offered the positions..? If you didn't offer them on the condition of them being linked to productivity, I am afraid you have only one person to blame.... and it is not your employees, is it....?

I have had to shut down two businesses in my working life - one involved 'letting go' over 40 staff. Second only to seeing my Dad's funeral, it is easily the most crushing thing to have to do with people - but that's the risk you take when you take the plunge with any business venture.

Torquay

" .........

I will offer one piece of advice, speaking as someone who does run a small business and who has run a number of other businesses before.

The HARDEST thing any businessman or woman has to face is the decision as to whether the business is VIABLE.

Everyday, as an entrepreneur, you put your heart and soul into something which you plan, prey and hope will turn into something successful.

The sad fact is MOST DON'T. And in the painful process of finding out that that business idea was not viable, people have, do and will continue to lose their entire world (in terms of 'things) and it is without question THE hardest fact to accept that you could not 'make a go of it'.

At any one time, two thirds of businesses are technically 'not viable' - that is an awful position to put employees in who are relying on you for their livelihoods.

It is the easiest thing in the world to blame your own staff for wanting to be paid 'regardless of productivity' - but you offered the positions..? If you didn't offer them on the condition of them being linked to productivity, I am afraid you have only one person to blame.... and it is not your employees, is it....?

I have had to shut down two businesses in my working life - one involved 'letting go' over 40 staff. Second only to seeing my Dad's funeral, it is easily the most crushing thing to have to do with people - but that's the risk you take when you take the plunge with any business venture.

"

Regardless of Productivity....as in still paying them full wages for Nine days when plant is down....

As in still paying them when I send them home early because a run has finished early....

Hope that clears that up for you

Torquay

" .........

well im sorry your business is such a burden to you, but did anyone force you into it ? Besides this thread is about food banks not your business.

Maybe you should run your business as a cooperative making all your employees share holders and splitting the responsibility and profits equally between you all. This has been a very succesful ploy when a business has failed and is taken over by the former employees. "

You assume too much with your ...

Sorry to dissapoint you, as you clearly love to gloat, but the busines, although still in it's infancy, is doing very well and growing strongly despite the recession....

"Regardless of Productivity....as in still paying them full wages for Nine days when plant is down....

As in still paying them when I send them home early because a run has finished early....

Hope that clears that up for you"

With respect, that would suggest that the terms on which they are employed do not sufficiently reflect the 'needs of the business' (sorry - no flippin italics on here!).....? Is remunerating by time (eg hourly, daily, weekly, monthly) what suits The Business..?? Don't know what it is you manufacture (sounds like some form of batch production?), but the little you have said makes me wonder if a larger element of piece-work would suit The Business better...?

Just an observation....

In Your Bush

" .........

Regardless of Productivity....as in still paying them full wages for Nine days when plant is down....

Hope that clears that up for you"

Jane

Have you considered putting them on an annualised hours contract? This may help you get over the unstable production issue. Will also help reduce your overtime bill

Torquay

You are confusing me for someone that has never had their own business before....which is far from the truth.

Having previosuly built a business from scratch and then sold it as a very succesful going concern....and now supplying that same business with the goods we manufacture and wholesale.

My argument still stands, a 60% rise in the minimum wage would cripple tens of thousands of small businesses, because as you should know it doesn't just end with the basic wage....it has knock on effects regarding overtime, NI and work related benefits.

london

" .........

And that is why the country is going to hell in a handcart."

Glasgow

"...........

My argument still stands, a 60% rise in the minimum wage would cripple tens of thousands of small businesses, because as you should know it doesn't just end with the basic wage....it has knock on effects regarding overtime, NI and work related benefits.

"

To reiterate. Not if it applied to everyone.

The trouble with the UK and world economies is lack of demand. Put a bit more money in everyone's pockets and they'll spend some (OK, not all) of it.

They'll spend it in different ways. Some will piss it up against a wall. Others will get their hair cut a bit more often. A few will pay down their mortgage.

Some will save for the deposit for a home.

Unless you pump money into the economy, you can have the best business in the country, making the best product or supplying the best service in that field, employing the most motivated employees in the area - people won't be able to afford to buy those goods or services.

By *hattyman80Man  over a year ago

stockport

Having worked in funding in the past I know that food banks are popping up everywhere. There are 3 in the Birmingham area each feeding 20 families per week currently

Glasgow

Getting back to food banks. I don't think they've gone away since the Victorian era. They've just become more obvious recently.

They were always there, hidden below the surface.

By *isscheekychopsWoman  over a year ago

The land of grey peas and bacon

I'd happily set up a food bank.. I work in homelessness and there are familes that can't support themselves.

With the help of the present government we seem to be going backwards.

charity shops are very well used , yet when i was a young nipper, you only ever saw a cpl.

And now food banks.

Its disgraceful and it will only get worse.

Mind you....the big supermarkets could help more by donating the good stuff they throw away daily. Now thats a disgrace in its self.

Glasgow

I got captured by a food bank a couple of years back.

I was walking back from the post office on a dreich day, collar up against the rain, bunnet pulledd firmly down, looking a bit unshevelled and (I confess) unshaven that day.

An older guy outside a church stopped me and invited me in for a coffee. It was just what I could have used at that moment.

I sat for twenty minutes, coffee in hand blethering to the others. A group of guys down on their luck who'd obviously been skippering for some time. A selection of respectable ladies who were connected to the congregation. A smattering of Chinese students from the local halls of residence and a few singletons with little in common.

As I rose to leave I looked round for a donations box to leave a few coppers as thanks and someone came up to me and handed me a supermarket bag full of food.

It was all I could do to convince him he could find a better home for it.

» Add a new message to this topic