FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Pissed off and having a rant

Pissed off and having a rant

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

feeling like blowing off steam so you lot are getting it

I've have my bike stolen from outside work today and to say i was naffed off is a slight understatement, i found the locks off it about 2 street away while walking home, they had obviously took the lot and slung the locks when away from the building, both the locks had been tampered with but they had both been cut with what looks like some bolt cutters, it looks like they have had a go picking the locks, failed, gone away and come back with something strong enough to cut thro the locks

I saved a long time for this bike, i do some volantry work with under privileged kids and kids on parole, we take them on weekends away etc and off road biking is one of our biggest hits with them so i bought a decent bike, plus i dont drive and i use my bike daily for work etc so i really wanted something good, i paid £1200 for the bike and have spent about another £800 on ungrades over this year, only 3 weeks ago i spent £300 of a set of wheels, thats not because i have money to throw away its because its my main means of transport and making it as light as possible benifits me, i've had to save for everything i've spent on it, its not a case of oh i have £300 spare this week, so as you can imagine i was gutted and very pissed off, because not only have i wasted nearly £2000 i can also no long do my voluntary work with the kids till i get a new bike with being realistic is going to be after christmas now

Anyway as if that wasnt bad enough, what really shocked me was peoples reactions to this happened, ive been told by 3 people thats its my fault and if i ride round on a expensive bike i should expect to get it pinched

seriously?

is that what the world has come to? that we all have to own crap and if we dont we are actually enticing theifs and only have ourselves to bame if they do steal out property we have worked hard for?

i actually find that attitude really shocking and not sure what pissed me off the most the fact someone stole from me or being told it was my own fault for owning something nice

and breath............

rant over

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *londeCazWoman  over a year ago

Arse End of the Universe, Cumbria

Aw NN, that's a shite thing to happen...can you claim for it on your home insurance?? And as for the folk telling you it's your fault - 2 fingers up to them...

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Really sorry to hear that. Was it covered under your house insurance as a specified item?

By *empting Devil.Woman  over a year ago

Sheffield

My sympathy.

It really pisses me off when others seem happy that nice things get nicked or damaged - bet if it had been their car they'd be suggesting capital punishment for car theives!

need a hug sweetheart? xxxxx

Sorry to hear about the theft NN, and I hope you can recover some of the loss via insurance.

That sucks Naughty....no CCTV i suppose?

Have a word with the parole people as I'm sure if it's something you use in your capacity as an officer with them you can claim tax relief on it and they may even decide to replenish you with a bike you can use while you sort this mess out.

I have to ask why you didn't secure it to an immoveable object with tamper proof hardened steel chains? I can see you invested a lot of money in the bike so I am little confused.

A lot of bikes that get stolen are dumped again not long after. Make sure you report it to the police because despite this there are a lot of honest folk about as well who might find it and let the police know, hope you get it back x

By *nnyMan  over a year ago

Glasgow

It's no consolation but the OP isn't alone.

One downside of the recent upsurge in cycling post Olympics is a huge increase in the number of pushbikes being stolen - out of all proportion to the increase in the number of bikes sold.

By *empting Devil.Woman  over a year ago

Sheffield

"I have to ask why you didn't secure it to an immoveable object with tamper proof hardened steel chains? I can see you invested a lot of money in the bike so I am little confused."

Eeeee! Raymundo, you are a bar steward aren't ya?

Bet she didn't realise.

Btw what do you lock those chains with? Many padlocks are they weak link as they can be cut with bolt cutters.

i have it insured its also police coded so if it is found it will get traced back to me, its kinda like micro chipping for none living things lol

But the chances of me getting it back is pretty slim lets me honest, where i live its most likely been sold for scrap for the price of their next bag of

By *evilwolfCouple  over a year ago

Leicestershire

Buy a £50 ride from your local bike project or charity next time and fit good parts for reliability but keep the shabby chic appearance.

I've made many nice ladies rides out of old ladies raleigh frames with new bars brakes, wheels and drivetrains. There's a zillion miles left in those old bikes.

Flash is good, but flash gets nicked.

Shame to hear it happened anyway...

Wolf

really sorry 2 hear of ur bike being stolen ,,hope they get there cumuppence ,,n deffo not ur fault in any way ,,,,

"I have to ask why you didn't secure it to an immoveable object with tamper proof hardened steel chains? I can see you invested a lot of money in the bike so I am little confused."

there isnt a lock on the market thats 100% theft proof, theres no lock that guarantee this, im not stupid it did had 2 good locks on it but if someone wants something they will get it, it only takes them to have a look, see what they need and go fetch it

That's awful ... I know there is a slim chance, but hope you do get it back

When I was choosing a bike, I opted for a folding bike so that I could carry it in my car, in the hope it would be less attractive as an target. To this day I believe I made the right choice.

By *etitesaraTV/TS  over a year ago

rochdale

Sorry to hear that NN.

As someone who has nice/expensive bikes i understand completely the rage felt when someone thinks you should expect to have it stolen. I currently have £7000 worth sat in my kitchen, won't put them in the garage for purely that reason.

My sympathies

By *icketysplitsWoman  over a year ago

Way over Yonder, that's where I'm bound

That is a sad indictment of our society. I can't remember if it was in London or elsewhere but a police force carried out a recent experiment stealing bikes in front of the general public and it went unchallenged.

"I have to ask why you didn't secure it to an immoveable object with tamper proof hardened steel chains? I can see you invested a lot of money in the bike so I am little confused.

Bet she didn't realise.

Btw what do you lock those chains with? Many padlocks are they weak link as they can be cut with bolt cutters."

Yes I am but then again when I was in a less salubrious area bikes were pinched all the time so many locked them to railings or posts that couldn't be removed.

Bolt cutters of a huge size will get through most things but the Krptonite U-locks are amazing and can save a lot of heartache and theft. I am one more for prevention than a cure.

"That is a sad indictment of our society. I can't remember if it was in London or elsewhere but a police force carried out a recent experiment stealing bikes in front of the general public and it went unchallenged."

I saw that. It's scary that people won't get involved because they don't know if the person they'll be confronting is carrying a knife, or even worse that they end up in court for violating the perp's rights in some way.

"I have to ask why you didn't secure it to an immoveable object with tamper proof hardened steel chains? I can see you invested a lot of money in the bike so I am little confused.

Bet she didn't realise.

Btw what do you lock those chains with? Many padlocks are they weak link as they can be cut with bolt cutters.

Yes I am but then again when I was in a less salubrious area bikes were pinched all the time so many locked them to railings or posts that couldn't be removed.

Bolt cutters of a huge size will get through most things but the Krptonite U-locks are amazing and can save a lot of heartache and theft. I am one more for prevention than a cure. "

ffs noone told me i had to lock the bike to anything i though you just wrapped it round the seat post, wish you'd told me that yesterday

there isnt a lock on the market thats 100% theft proof, theres no lock that guarantee this, im not stupid it did had 2 good locks on it but if someone wants something they will get it, it only takes them to have a look, see what they need and go fetch it"

True nothing is impervious but it sounds like you didn't lock it to anything if they picked it up and walked off with the lot and you subsequently found it 2 streets away. When you get it replaced I would invest in a Kryptonite lock they are not the cheapest but bolt cutter proof and you need an angle grinder to get them off without a key and I think few thief's come equipped with a noisy implement like that to rob bikes.

there isnt a lock on the market thats 100% theft proof, theres no lock that guarantee this, im not stupid it did had 2 good locks on it but if someone wants something they will get it, it only takes them to have a look, see what they need and go fetch it

True nothing is impervious but it sounds like you didn't lock it to anything if they picked it up and walked off with the lot and you subsequently found it 2 streets away. When you get it replaced I would invest in a Kryptonite lock they are not the cheapest but bolt cutter proof and you need an angle grinder to get them off without a key and I think few thief's come equipped with a noisy implement like that to rob bikes. "

no they didnt pick it up and walked off with the lot, the locks was cut, when i said they took the lot i ment after the locks was cut they didnt just take the bike and leave the cut locks they took the locks too then slug then down a couple of streets away, im assuming they didnt leave the cut locks on the floor so anyone who walked into my work wouldnt see them and arise suspicion before they got far enough away, thats only a guess tho, but cant think of any other reason why they would take them and throw them away further down the street

NN I am sooo sorry for the minority pilfering little gits ........ u r not at fault at all ............ hope u get it back

By *isscheekychopsWoman  over a year ago

The land of grey peas and bacon

Awwwww NN I am so sorry...... The thing is thieves are sometimes likes foxes... foxes kill for the fun of it.. thieves steal for the fun of it sometimes...

"need a hug sweetheart? xxxxx"

I need one!!!

"i have it insured its also police coded so if it is found it will get traced back to me, its kinda like micro chipping for none living things lol

But the chances of me getting it back is pretty slim lets me honest, where i live its most likely been sold for scrap for the price of their next bag of "

I suspect the thieves had a buyer lined up, hence the determination to steal the said bicycle. You can pick up a decent GT, Marin, Scott or summat of that quality for under £100 second hand.

"Aw NN, that's a shite thing to happen...can you claim for it on your home insurance?? And as for the folk telling you it's your fault - 2 fingers up to them... "

Wait til they get their cars nicked - wonder if they will feel the same?

Oh dear not nice at all. Had my bike stolen when I was young, they cut the lock off and I had to walk to my dads house to get some money to get home as I was in Cheltenham but lived in Gloucester. Was long before mobile phones so I couldn't ring my mum to tell her why I wasn't following her home

I have a bike in the shed that I don't use with racing speed tyres, basket on the front and panniers, you are very welcome to have it

morning kitten.

hows you lovely xxx

By *iewMan  over a year ago
Forum Mod

Angus & Findhorn

sorry to read this, hope you can claim on your insurance.

all the best

It's not just bikes tho - it's all nice things. In certain areas, people do have a major downer on any1 who isn't a 'have not'

I don't live in the greatest of areas but I do like to have a newish car.

All 3 of my last cars have been vandalised in some way whilst parked outside the house - usually with keys.

Keeping them clean also seems to make them more of a target tho. I came out one evening to find that ketchup and mayo had been emptied all over 1 of them

Why ?

By *ucsparkMan  over a year ago

dudley

there isnt a lock on the market thats 100% theft proof, theres no lock that guarantee this, im not stupid it did had 2 good locks on it but if someone wants something they will get it, it only takes them to have a look, see what they need and go fetch it"

Naughty is right, I had the side of a transit cut into on a high street at ten in the morning

Hope the police find it.

By *ara_and_MJCouple  over a year ago

rochdale

A lot of high-end bikes are now stolen for their parts rather than as a whole bike.

As many bikes are chipped and smart-watered or otherwise recorded the frames can be often unsaleable.

However, a set of decent forks can retail for several hundred pounds 2nd hand on E-bay, likewise wheels/drivetrain/hydraulic brake systems/cockpit etc. I'm on several cycling forums and this is a constant refrain about why bikes are stolen.

Most non-cyclists are aghast when you tell them how much a bike costs when compared to those horrible BSO's* from Tesco et.al.

*Bicycle Shaped Object.

By *inkyguy81Man  over a year ago

Oxford

hey really sorry to hear that. I live in Oxford the heart of bike theft in the UK.

My specialized rockhopper sport was robbed from my place and they took the locks too.

it isn't your fault but i do now always recommend to people that they find a cheap commuter bike on gumtree and secure their decent professional bikes.

also take out insurance. Evans offer it but you MUST buy decent locks. by decent i mean £150+ motorbike locks.

However all might not be lost... regularly search gumtree & ebay. Thieves are thick, they'll try to sell it. Also speak to the local mountain bike community, in Oxford we have a twitter page to list stolen bikes and people report sitings. also speak to the police and give them pics of it.

finally try your household insurance, you never know!!

By *iBlondiWoman  over a year ago

North Cornwall

"A lot of high-end bikes are now stolen for their parts rather than as a whole bike.

As many bikes are chipped and smart-watered or otherwise recorded the frames can be often unsaleable.

However, a set of decent forks can retail for several hundred pounds 2nd hand on E-bay, likewise wheels/drivetrain/hydraulic brake systems/cockpit etc. I'm on several cycling forums and this is a constant refrain about why bikes are stolen.

Most non-cyclists are aghast when you tell them how much a bike costs when compared to those horrible BSO's* from Tesco et.al.

*Bicycle Shaped Object."

Too true! I've got a hybrid and when I mentioned the cost, my bro'a girlfriend was bragging that her new bike cost 160 and I was a fool. I rode hers for 5 minutes and said I'd rather pay 10x that than ever ride hers again.

Harsh maybe but she was being shitty

By *etitesaraTV/TS  over a year ago

rochdale

"A lot of high-end bikes are now stolen for their parts rather than as a whole bike.

*Bicycle Shaped Object.

Too true! I've got a hybrid and when I mentioned the cost, my bro'a girlfriend was bragging that her new bike cost 160 and I was a fool. I rode hers for 5 minutes and said I'd rather pay 10x that than ever ride hers again.

Harsh maybe but she was being shitty "

Haha!

It's amazing the difference when you try isn't it - bikes are overpriced but the difference between a decent bike and a BSO is like night and day.

I would recommend the OP gets a cheapish bike for running around on whilst she waits to replace her pride and joy, Mango bikes on the 'net are pretty good. You can create your own distinctive bike and have it delivered for less than £300 - singlespeed and no suspension but great for a town runabout.

If one of mine went i'd be beside myself

Sorry to hear that NN what bastards!

Hope the insurance doesn't take too long to come through.

Odd story, at my old house, a really good bike was abandoned on my drive.

I phoned the Police and even though I phoned back numerous times asking why they'd not come to get it.

I ended up giving it to charity!

By *ctavius StuntMan  over a year ago

london

sorry to hear of your loss. where i live bike theft is a massive problem. i used to be a very keen cyclist but havnt ridden for 2 years. i have a specialised sport hybrid in very good nick that i would let go for a good cause very cheap. front rear panniers. handle bar bag, mud guards, lights and a granit x lock. its not your fault but it sounds like the locks you had were to cheap for the bike.

By *iewMan  over a year ago
Forum Mod

Angus & Findhorn

"It's not just bikes tho - it's all nice things. In certain areas, people do have a major downer on any1 who isn't a 'have not'

Why ? "

1000% agree

" Evans offer it but you MUST buy decent locks. by decent i mean £150+ motorbike locks.

"

How do you carry a motorbike lock on a bike? Chainlocks are only a use if they are left somewhere permanent...

The only bike lock worth considering is the Kryptoite FAHG but even that is far from impenetrable.

By *acreadCouple  over a year ago

central scotland

Thats a bad loss, ihave had 2 stolen but they were as said above bicycle BSOs (shaped objects)

My brother had a high performance motorbike stolen form his garage and he also had a high quality lock so thought it would be fine he did not have it insured as it was laid up for the winter and he never saw it again.

"

This.

Proper thieves, as opposed to opportunists will strip the bikes. Whole bikes are easily spotted on Ebay, components and wheels far less.

Also, if you find it on gumtree, buy it back and then get the police involved Gumtree ads disappear quick and are far less traceable than bikes sold on ebay.

Sorry to hear that NN hope you get sorted, when you have nice things there's always some scum bag will take it from you .....

Bloody thieves have no idea what damage they do, it will be stripped down and the £300 wheels sold for a fiver

Hope it's entirely covered and you can get a replacement quickly.

Not really helpful unless you replace it, but here is a thought, a lot of motorcyclists who park in the same places regularly leave heavy duty locks that are not easy to carry on lampposts railings etc. perhaps you can buy a heavyweight motorcycle lock and leave it at work?

» Add a new message to this topic