FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Last ditch attempt to save my computer - advice appreciated

Last ditch attempt to save my computer - advice appreciated

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *partharmony OP   Couple  over a year ago

Ruislip

PC question for the techies out there.

I loaded some old software onto my new laptop during the week and I now have a permanent Blue Screen of Death.

I have investigated and I know exactly what the problem is. It's caused by a particular driver. If I could delete that file it would all work again.

Unfortunately I can't run a command prompt or start in safe mode without my Bitlocker key. I didn't know I needed it and never had any warnings to save it in advance so I don't have it. If I could log in to my Microsoft account then I could get it but I only use it on that laptop and have no idea what the login details are. I didn't set any system restore points.

As far as I can see, I can't get round the Bitlocker issue so I'll have to reinstall it, which will be a major ball-ache. Does anybody know any ways of me being able to delete the driver file without my Bitlocker key? Otherwise I know what I'll be doing this afternoon.

I think it's a bit shit that Microsoft have barred me from my own computer and need more than my regular password without even mentioning to me to do this thing while the computer was working.

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *ad boy maverickMan  over a year ago

basildon

Feeling your pain. Have you tried starting the computer and as it starts to boot you press f1 and it goes into doss screen. You.might be able to do something from there ?

By *anBerksMan  over a year ago

Berkshire

Best I can do is “turn it off and turn it on again” but I’m sure someone will be able to offer some more practical advice, I hope you get it sorted

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Suggest you find a local pc service guy / company and give it to them to sort.

The Microsoft account itself will have password recovery options. You maybe able to send a recovery email to the email address you linked to it.

Ruislip

"Feeling your pain. Have you tried starting the computer and as it starts to boot you press f1 and it goes into doss screen. You.might be able to do something from there ?"

Yes, but as I said, it won't let me run a command prompt without my Bitlocker key. To be more precise, it does let me do it on the backup partition but won't allow me to touch my C: drive with a command prompt without my Bitlocker key.

By *rHotNottsMan  over a year ago

Dubai & Nottingham

Jusr search local data recovery. There are companies who recycle / refurb laptops who do this all the time. I pay about £30 to recover a laptop , a bit more if lots of data need copying

Ruislip

"The Microsoft account itself will have password recovery options. You maybe able to send a recovery email to the email address you linked to it."

Yes, but as I said, I don't know what that account is. I never used it outside of that computer. I set it up months ago and forgot about it.

[Removed by poster at 27/08/22 07:12:37]

Buy a new laptop

By *ad boy maverickMan  over a year ago

basildon

"Feeling your pain. Have you tried starting the computer and as it starts to boot you press f1 and it goes into doss screen. You.might be able to do something from there ?

Yes, but as I said, it won't let me run a command prompt without my Bitlocker key. To be more precise, it does let me do it on the backup partition but won't allow me to touch my C: drive with a command prompt without my Bitlocker key. "

Ah sorry I was hoping that would bypass it

If you have access to another pc/laptop and usb stick then Microsoft let you download and create a rescue boot usb device for your operating system, usually with this you can boot into the memory stick and it can attempt to repair your installation or restore to an earlier restore point before you installed the last piece of software before it bsod'd if you have a restore enabled.

I don't knowif that will help you around bitlocker if you haven't saved the recovery key to a file on a memory stick, saved to a linked Microsoft account or printed it

By *teveuk77Man  over a year ago

uk

"The Microsoft account itself will have password recovery options. You maybe able to send a recovery email to the email address you linked to it.

Yes, but as I said, I don't know what that account is. I never used it outside of that computer. I set it up months ago and forgot about it. "

When you installed Windows did you create a new MS account? Are you saying your forgot this?

Is there a way on MS to find forgotten account? Quite often on website you get forgotten passwords option but also forgotten username.

As part of the sign up process you may have provided another email address as back up.

So, basically, can you retrieve your MS account username, then the password, the get bitlocker ?

Ruislip

"The Microsoft account itself will have password recovery options. You maybe able to send a recovery email to the email address you linked to it.

Yes, but as I said, I don't know what that account is. I never used it outside of that computer. I set it up months ago and forgot about it.

When you installed Windows did you create a new MS account? Are you saying your forgot this?

Is there a way on MS to find forgotten account? Quite often on website you get forgotten passwords option but also forgotten username.

As part of the sign up process you may have provided another email address as back up.

So, basically, can you retrieve your MS account username, then the password, the get bitlocker ?"

This is one possible route, but I set up the account several months ago and I have no idea what the login details are. I presume the password is the same as the password I use for logging in but I don't know the username because I haven't seen it written down for months.

uk

So, basically, can you retrieve your MS account username, then the password, the get bitlocker ?

This is one possible route, but I set up the account several months ago and I have no idea what the login details are. I presume the password is the same as the password I use for logging in but I don't know the username because I haven't seen it written down for months. "

https://account.live.com/username/recover

You can recover username from here as long as you provided another email address that you use. Perhaps a text if phone provided. You get sent a code for recovery.

uk

This is one possible route, but I set up the account several months ago and I have no idea what the login details are. I presume the password is the same as the password I use for logging in but I don't know the username because I haven't seen it written down for months.

You can recover username from here as long as you provided another email address that you use. Perhaps a text if phone provided. You get sent a code for recovery."

I tried using phone number and was sent a code.

By *awk90Man  over a year ago

Hamburg, Germany

Hey, I'm late to the party maybe, but I would make a live boot Ubuntu USB, then boot from that. Then you should be able to reach your hard drive and delete the offending file!

Ruislip

"Hey, I'm late to the party maybe, but I would make a live boot Ubuntu USB, then boot from that. Then you should be able to reach your hard drive and delete the offending file!"

Ooh I like that idea! I might need a lesson though.

Ruislip

"Hey, I'm late to the party maybe, but I would make a live boot Ubuntu USB, then boot from that. Then you should be able to reach your hard drive and delete the offending file!

Ooh I like that idea! I might need a lesson though. "

Having said that, I think the drive will still be encrypted, won't it?

Ruislip

You can recover username from here as long as you provided another email address that you use. Perhaps a text if phone provided. You get sent a code for recovery."

I went to this page and it asked me for the alternative account. I put in the one I would have used as a backup. It told me it already existed (even though it's not a page for creating an account) and told me I should sign in with it. I did that and now I can see no way of retrieving my username, password or Bitlocker key.

By *razysexymale22Man  over a year ago

andover

Alas yes that is the point of bitlocker - to encrypt it so people can’t recover the data.

Your only option at this point is to try and contact Microsoft support and see if you can get access to the account registered to your phone. Not guaranteed they’ll have the key, but that’s how I managed to recover drive for someone else.

By *razysexymale22Man  over a year ago

andover

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/finding-your-bitlocker-recovery-key-in-windows-6b71ad27-0b89-ea08-f143-056f5ab347d6

By *avexxMan  over a year ago

cheshire

get youself a chromebook so fast,, admit cant do as much as windows laptop,, but great surfing internet,,

By *trideMan  over a year ago

Plymouth

Buy a HIREN’s bootable rescue memory stick or three (Google it).

Each stick has a mini-Windows operating system on it. You boot to the stick by repetitively pressing the F12 button after switching your computer on.

Your hard drive operating system will remain dormant.

Once your computer is running from the stick, you can do anything you like to the hard drive data, including the operating system. In your case, you will be able to use the stick’s Explorer to delete the offending file.

Each stick has a large number of useful “tools” in addition to the operating system. I use DriveImage XML to backup my computers every month. By “backup” I don’t mean the ridiculous Micros-off version. I mean a complete backup of absolutely everything on the hard disc. I’ve used “Partition Magic” to split my hard drive into two partitions, C: and D:. C is the boot partition, and D is for my extensive film collection. They back up separately.

I have never used any sort of anti-malware software. If I ever have a virus attack, it will take me less than 30 minutes to restore the latest backup, and the copies of every file that I have changed since I made it.

I have half a dozen Hiren’s bootable sticks – they are the best investments that I have ever made!

Ruislip

"Buy a HIREN’s bootable rescue memory stick or three (Google it).

Each stick has a mini-Windows operating system on it. You boot to the stick by repetitively pressing the F12 button after switching your computer on.

Once your computer is running from the stick, you can do anything you like to the hard drive data, including the operating system. In your case, you will be able to use the stick’s Explorer to delete the offending file.

Each stick has a large number of useful “tools” in addition to the operating system. I use DriveImage XML to backup my computers every month. By “backup” I don’t mean the ridiculous Micros-off version. I mean a complete backup of absolutely everything on the hard disc. I’ve used “Partition Magic” to split my hard drive into two partitions, C: and D:. C is the boot partition, and D is for my extensive film collection. They back up separately.

I have never used any sort of anti-malware software. If I ever have a virus attack, it will take me less than 30 minutes to restore the latest backup, and the copies of every file that I have changed since I made it.

I have half a dozen Hiren’s bootable sticks – they are the best investments that I have ever made!

"

This sounds great, but the C: drive partition is encrypted using Bit locker. Would this allow me access to that partition?

Plymouth

Sorry, I don't know, but a Hiren's stick would be a cheap way to find out!

By *alandNitaCouple  over a year ago

Scunthorpe

This sounds great, but the C: drive partition is encrypted using Bit locker. Would this allow me access to that partition? "

The simple answer is that outside of Windows, "nothing" will allow you to access your HDD without the Bitlocker Key.

As you mentioned SafeMode, do you get the Menu to pick Safemode from? If so, can you pick advanced options and "Last Known Configuration that Worked"?

Cal

By *hesterfieldman79Man  over a year ago

chesterfield

Hirens wouldn't work, the drive is encrypted. You would need the bitlocker key.

Best idea is to reset your pin via email. Since you don't know the password for the Microsoft account you would need to reset this, then access the email on another device.

Hirens/Linux wouldn't work due to encryption. You need the pin

Scunthorpe

This sounds great, but the C: drive partition is encrypted using Bit locker. Would this allow me access to that partition?

The simple answer is that outside of Windows, "nothing" will allow you to access your HDD without the Bitlocker Key.

As you mentioned SafeMode, do you get the Menu to pick Safemode from? If so, can you pick advanced options and "Last Known Configuration that Worked"?

Cal"

Actually, forget that... the last known good option was removed years ago.

I honestly don't think that there is anyway sensible solution to save your data without the Bitlocker Key.

uk

You can recover username from here as long as you provided another email address that you use. Perhaps a text if phone provided. You get sent a code for recovery.

I went to this page and it asked me for the alternative account. I put in the one I would have used as a backup. It told me it already existed (even though it's not a page for creating an account) and told me I should sign in with it. I did that and now I can see no way of retrieving my username, password or Bitlocker key. "

Did you try your phone number? If you have a phone number associated with the windows account you should get send a code. You enter that code and should be able to retrieve your account details.

By *hil most chillMan  over a year ago

South East

Cal

Actually, forget that... the last known good option was removed years ago.

I honestly don't think that there is anyway sensible solution to save your data without the Bitlocker Key."

Agreed. The idea of bitlocker is it encrypts your data and only you have the key to decrypt it. When it displayed the key on setup, it would have said to make a note of it and keep it safe, for occasions like this

By *ig_eric_tionMan  over a year ago

IPSWICH

If you have another computer can you connect the two and access the broken one as an external drive.

Also when I had an issue once I installed a second copy of Windows and I could access all the existing files.

Just a thought.

uk

"If you have another computer can you connect the two and access the broken one as an external drive.

Also when I had an issue once I installed a second copy of Windows and I could access all the existing files.

Just a thought. "

It's got bitlocker on it. That won't work.

Ruislip

Here is the latest. I managed to use the recovery link somebody above provided. I signed in using my phone number as per somebody's suggestion. The information I have read says that will take Mr to my key, but it tells me I have no recovery keys saved there.

By *heaspieswingerMan  over a year ago

Peak District

If you don’t know your bitlocker key, and the drive is indeed encrypted, you’re basically fucked. Sorry man.

I doubt MS have a way of recovering it even using your account. The whole point of encryption is that nobody can get to it without the correct credentials.

Reinstall and lose everything is likely your only option.

Plymouth

Wow!

Do-it-to-yourself ransomware without the payment option!

Isn’t Microsoft software marvellous?

Ruislip

"If you don’t know your bitlocker key, and the drive is indeed encrypted, you’re basically fucked. Sorry man.

I doubt MS have a way of recovering it even using your account. The whole point of encryption is that nobody can get to it without the correct credentials.

Reinstall and lose everything is likely your only option."

I'm currently trying to do exactly that. But when I run the reinstall procedure, guess what it needs? That's right. The Bitlocker key.

This is insane. I never had any warning when the computer was working that I should get this key. The only advice I'm getting from Microsoft and places like that is what I should have done. I suppose I should have guessed that I needed to do this. I have a technical issue which I am being prevented from fixing because of security software when I don't have a security issue. Complete madness.

I spoke to the people I bought it from and they gave me a number for Microsoft saying they would have it. I spoke them and they said they don't have it but the manufacturer would. I can't get hold of the manufacturer until after the bank holiday weekend.

This is stark raving mad.

The lesson from all of this is if you have a Windows computer, get the Bitlocker key while you have a chance.

Ruislip

"Wow!

Do-it-to-yourself ransomware without the payment option!

Isn’t Microsoft software marvellous?

"

It's not even ransom ware because you can't even pay them for it. It's just a ticking time bomb they keep information about to themselves.

Sorry if it's already been mentioned but if you signed into Windows with a Microsoft account then you can login to that account on another device to access your recovery key.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/finding-your-bitlocker-recovery-key-in-windows-6b71ad27-0b89-ea08-f143-056f5ab347d6

"Here is the latest. I managed to use the recovery link somebody above provided. I signed in using my phone number as per somebody's suggestion. The information I have read says that will take Mr to my key, but it tells me I have no recovery keys saved there. "

If your system is backed up with OneDrive then you'll be able to restore your desktop, documents and pictures so there's always that option if you need to wipe the drive.

I fix computers for a living & assure you that without the Bitlocker key nothing & nobody is getting the OS to boot.

The OS is decrypted automatically in most cases where a TPM chip is installed in the computer. This also prevents the hard drive from being moved to another device. No OS tools are useful in this scenario.

It’s harsh but this is not Microsoft’s fault. I imagine there’d be plenty of corporate haters also decrying them if their encryption tool was easily defeated.

We’ve had personal computers now for long enough to know we should be backing up critical data. ReInstalling the OS is a trivial matter but losing data is not.

I would seriously invest your time recovering the Bitlocker key. It is possible provided you can navigate the recovery process.

[Removed by poster at 27/08/22 23:06:47]

Ruislip

"Sorry if it's already been mentioned but if you signed into Windows with a Microsoft account then you can login to that account on another device to access your recovery key.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/finding-your-bitlocker-recovery-key-in-windows-6b71ad27-0b89-ea08-f143-056f5ab347d6"

Unfortunately I can't because when I logged in it said there were no Bitlocker keys saved there.

Ruislip

"I fix computers for a living & assure you that without the Bitlocker key nothing & nobody is getting the OS to boot.

The OS is decrypted automatically in most cases where a TPM chip is installed in the computer. This also prevents the hard drive from being moved to another device. No OS tools are useful in this scenario.

It’s harsh but this is not Microsoft’s fault. I imagine there’d be plenty of corporate haters also decrying them if their encryption tool was easily defeated.

We’ve had personal computers now for long enough to know we should be backing up critical data. ReInstalling the OS is a trivial matter but losing data is not.

I would seriously invest your time recovering the Bitlocker key. It is possible provided you can navigate the recovery process.

"

I don't mind do much that Bitlocker is on there. I just hate the fact that when my computer was working there wasn't any hint at all that I should get the key. I think that's dreadful planning on their part. If they are prepared to cripple my computer then they should make it clear what I should do in advance, not just tell me afterwards what I should have done.

By *owerbridgegirlCouple  over a year ago

london

I no nothing about computers but I do have a questionably mine lol

My laptop is old it has window 7 on it

And now windows don't do updates etc for window 7

Is there anyway I can update windows to anther version for free

Also it's so slow need to speed it up a bit

Sorry for jumping on ur question

By *olly_chromaticTV/TS  over a year ago

Stockport

"I no nothing about computers but I do have a questionably mine lol

Sorry for jumping on ur question"

You should look at switching to linux. It's free. It runs faster than windows particularly on older computers. There are lots of different user interface variants available, there is almost certainly one somewhere that would give you a very similar user experience to your windows 7. Updating to a newer windows version would make your computer run like a slug, and be so different to use that it would be like starting again from scratch. With the prospect of having to repeat the whole nausea again in only a year or two.

Most linux variants ("distributions") provide excellent support for all models of computer from 25 years old right up to the latest systems, and give easy upgrade routes when new software versions arrive.

It's difficult to give specific advice in just a few words here, what you really need to do is find and cultivate a linux geek in your local area.

By *rKeefyMan  over a year ago

Ashton

[Removed by poster at 28/08/22 08:48:09]

Plymouth

[Removed by poster at 28/08/22 10:14:19]

Plymouth

Updates etc. aren’t provided because they aren’t needed anymore. The software is as good as it can get, and hackers concentrate on later versions of Windows.

The only way to update to a later version for free is to have a friend who will do it for you.

Later versions of Windows will run slower than 7 because they are designed for use on machines that are faster than yours.

To speed-up your machine is easy, but takes a lot of step-by-step instructions, so I’ve sent them to you by PM.

As Polly Chromatic said, any Linux operating system is vastly superior to Micros-off’s appallingly bad offerings. But you could have problems with associated software like word processors or spreadsheets. I have to use Windows because most clients use Windows and the associated Microsoft Office spreadsheets. I would not be able to run “Windows” stupidly illogical formulae on “Linux” spreadsheets.

By *oodmessMan  over a year ago

yumsville

"I no nothing about computers but I do have a questionably mine lol

Sorry for jumping on ur question"

I know little about computers but mine was upgraded to win 10 last year for £45. It's had an ssd in for years so best bet is to send it to a reputable pc shop, ask them to do both upgrades. SSD might be around £70 or so. Their time might be another £40-60

By *teveanddebsCouple  over a year ago

Norwich

"

The lesson from all of this is if you have a Windows computer, get the Bitlocker key while you have a chance. "

I think the lesson is don't encrypt your drive and lose the Bitlocker key.

It won't be encrypted as a default setting, you have to choose it.

South East

"

The lesson from all of this is if you have a Windows computer, get the Bitlocker key while you have a chance.

It won't be encrypted as a default setting, you have to choose it."

This is it

By *ad NannaWoman  over a year ago

East London

"

This is it "

Do you get a key if it's not been encrypted? I found my key after seeing this thread and I haven't chosen to encrypt my new PC.

By *d59michelleTV/TS  over a year ago

walsall

"get youself a chromebook so fast,, admit cant do as much as windows laptop,, but great surfing internet,,"

Check when the support for that model expires before buying as they only last so long

South East

"

This is it

Do you get a key if it's not been encrypted? I found my key after seeing this thread and I haven't chosen to encrypt my new PC.

"

Some modern laptops automatically encrypt, and if they do, they automatically save the bitlocker key to your Microsoft account first

Sorry might be a dumb suggestion but couldn't you buy a new hard drive with fresh windows on it.

"

This is it

Some modern laptops automatically encrypt, and if they do, they automatically save the bitlocker key to your Microsoft account first"

In fifteen years of supplying & fixing computers I’ve never yet come across a drive encrypted out of the box!

South East

"

This is it

Some modern laptops automatically encrypt, and if they do, they automatically save the bitlocker key to your Microsoft account first

In fifteen years of supplying & fixing computers I’ve never yet come across a drive encrypted out of the box!"

Me neither, I got that info from the Microsoft website

Scunthorpe

"Sorry might be a dumb suggestion but couldn't you buy a new hard drive with fresh windows on it. "

I think the issue is more that they don't want to lose their data and programs from the existing drive. They can install a fresh copy of Windows on the existing drive, but they'll lose everything that's already there.

Cal

Didn't read all of the above so not sure if it's been asked but do you want to retrieve the data on there? If not it's a pretty easy fix, if you do then as most people have already confirmed it's going to be getting that bit locker key or nothing really.

You could try booting into Ubuntu from a USB, retrieving files then formatting the drive and doing a clean install. All depends on what you need to save from there.

By *nobyMan  over a year ago

Dorchester

I’ve managed similar years ago under linux booted from a usb drive, BUT my drive was NOT encrypted. However if you are really adventurous:

https://www.easyuefi.com/bitlocker-for-linux/resource/how-to-unlock-bitlocker-drive-in-linux.html

By *arkjackMan  over a year ago

West Cork

If you knew the precise location of the file then you can put the Linux OS on a bootable USB stick and navigate the filesystem to purge it, but this only works if the disk is not secured.

By *arkjackMan  over a year ago

West Cork

"I’ve managed similar years ago under linux booted from a usb drive, BUT my drive was NOT encrypted. However if you are really adventurous:

https://www.easyuefi.com/bitlocker-for-linux/resource/how-to-unlock-bitlocker-drive-in-linux.html"

Great minds!

By *nobyMan  over a year ago

Dorchester

"I’ve managed similar years ago under linux booted from a usb drive, BUT my drive was NOT encrypted. However if you are really adventurous:

https://www.easyuefi.com/bitlocker-for-linux/resource/how-to-unlock-bitlocker-drive-in-linux.html

Great minds! "

By *pYaMan  over a year ago

whereever you are…

Boot to save mode, then you can remove the offending item

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/start-your-pc-in-safe-mode-in-windows-92c27cff-db89-8644-1ce4-b3e5e56fe234

"If you knew the precise location of the file then you can put the Linux OS on a bootable USB stick and navigate the filesystem to purge it, but this only works if the disk is not secured."

Not sure if this is a safe approach tbh. You could be removing something that is part of a cipher for the encryption for example, then you are truly screwed. If it was that simple, encryption would be pointless

"Boot to save mode, then you can remove the offending item

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/start-your-pc-in-safe-mode-in-windows-92c27cff-db89-8644-1ce4-b3e5e56fe234"

Again, if it was this simple encryption would be pointless

By *pYaMan  over a year ago

whereever you are…

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/start-your-pc-in-safe-mode-in-windows-92c27cff-db89-8644-1ce4-b3e5e56fe234

Again, if it was this simple encryption would be pointless "

As long as you know the password for BitLocker, which as you can get a windows blue screen is known, you should be able to get to safe mode.

Not my area of expertise, but I imagine the encryption cipher will most likely be on the bitlocker key. If it's more than 16 bit encryption, brute force attack would take too long. It's probably at least 2 factor authentication as well, so I highly doubt booting from another device and simply deleting a file is going to do much except corrupting the boot sequence

Again, if it was this simple encryption would be pointless

As long as you know the password for BitLocker, which as you can get a windows blue screen is known, you should be able to get to safe mode.

"

Think the issue is he doesn't know it

By *teveanddebsCouple  over a year ago

Norwich

"

You could try booting into Ubuntu from a USB, retrieving files then formatting the drive and doing a clean install. All depends on what you need to save from there."

That won't work, the drive is encrypted.

» Add a new message to this topic