FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Devided opinions

Devided opinions

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *ttmcdguy OP   TV/TS  over a year ago

Milton Keynes

Last weekend I drank 1 can of strongbow and drove home

Now during the week I’ve taken a right slating over drink driving

Now my question is

Is blowing 40 on a breathalyser worse than benifit fraud ?

Ps I was not breathaliesd and was not on a public road !! And was definitely not d*unk !

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *acey_RedWoman  over a year ago

Liverpool

I'll have 1 drink if I'm not driving for a few hours.

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

I’m guessing it was a 440ml can and would have been around 2 units. Although it’s always best to avoid drinking when driving I don’t think that would take you over the limit so I wouldn’t worry about it.

By *UNKIEMan  over a year ago

south east

You may well have been over the limit if you were in scotland as the drink drive limit is 20mg instead of the 35 it is here in england ...that being said i have on occasion had 1 pint before driving but its a very rare occurance

To answer your question I think drink driving is worse than benefit fraud. You won’t potentially endanger innocent people with benefit fraud.

Where has benefit fraud come from?

Was that just a distraction argument?

"To answer your question I think drink driving is worse than benefit fraud. You won’t potentially endanger innocent people with benefit fraud."

Exactly this.

I'm thinking this thread won't go the way you hope, OP.

By *ucka39Man  over a year ago

Newcastle

"To answer your question I think drink driving is worse than benefit fraud. You won’t potentially endanger innocent people with benefit fraud."

Totally this

By *rHotNottsMan  over a year ago

Dubai & Nottingham

Literally this ^

By *ou only live onceMan  over a year ago

London

Another "exactly this". There's really no comparison between drink driving and benefit fraud in my mind.

By *ustBoWoman  over a year ago

Somewhere in Co. Down

Yep pretty much this as well

By *naswingdressWoman  over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

Agreed.

By *ananaman41Man  over a year ago

Dublin

Poor bugger is getting hammered now

"Where has benefit fraud come from?

Was that just a distraction argument?"

I found it a strange comparison too!

By *idnight RamblerMan  over a year ago

Pershore

Well legally, driving within the drink-drive limit is within the law, whereas benefit fraud is not. The moral scale is another matter.

"Well legally, driving within the drink-drive limit is within the law, whereas benefit fraud is not. The moral scale is another matter."

40 is over the limit!

"Where has benefit fraud come from?

Was that just a distraction argument?

I found it a strange comparison too! "

I'm thinking it came from a deflective argument.

Yeah but you did this kind of thing.

Usually from someone knowing damn well they're in the wrong

By *ehindHerEyesCouple  over a year ago

SomewhereOnlyWeKnow

Comparing risking peoples lives with benefit fraud

Yeah not up for debate really is it

TG x

By *orthwhile27Man  over a year ago

dark side of the moon

I never drink and drive. That's just me. What everyone else does is their call.

No brainier. Drinking and driving means you might kill someone.. benefit fraud might just piss someone off. I suggest someone deletes this offensive thread. A friend of mine was killed by a d*unk driver.

By *alcon43Woman  over a year ago

Paisley

If you lose your licence how will it affect you? Would it be worth it?

It doesn’t matter how far over the limit you are, losing your licence impacts your whole family.

By *ora the explorerWoman  over a year ago

Paradise, Herts

That’s a very odd comparison

By *luttyLaylaWoman  over a year ago

North West

40 is over the legal limit.

And agree with above. Drink driving WAY worse

By *redwilma666Couple  over a year ago

Kilbirnie

Follow the rules pilots follow

24hrs from bottle to throttle

By *hirleyMan  over a year ago

somewhere

I've drank over the limit very recently, I'm not proud, I won't put myself in that position again i hope... but I think speeding is much worse, there's very many reckless drivers doing so, statistics say that it is too, but that's depending interpretation I think.

Paradise, Herts

"I've drank over the limit very recently, I'm not proud, I won't put myself in that position again i hope... but I think speeding is much worse, there's very many reckless drivers doing so, statistics say that it is too, but that's depending interpretation I think."

Law is the law though. I could pretty much be certain that my instincts after a bottle of wine would still be a lot quicker than an 85 year old Doris dithering along. I wouldn’t do it though. If I’m drinking I don’t have any. Don’t see the point.

Yes is the answer

By *ea monkeyMan  over a year ago

Manchester (he/him)

Whataboutism.

Neither are good. Drink driving is potentially deadly though.

I rarely drink but I definitely won’t if I’m driving, you don’t know how the alcohol may affect you and even a small amount will impairs judgement.

By *ociable-NottmCouple  over a year ago

Nottingham

"I've drank over the limit very recently, I'm not proud, I won't put myself in that position again i hope... but I think speeding is much worse, there's very many reckless drivers doing so, statistics say that it is too, but that's depending interpretation I think.

Law is the law though. I could pretty much be certain that my instincts after a bottle of wine would still be a lot quicker than an 85 year old Doris dithering along. I wouldn’t do it though. If I’m drinking I don’t have any. Don’t see the point. "

Not saying it’s right you have answered the point

Mr

By *hirleyMan  over a year ago

somewhere

"I've drank over the limit very recently, I'm not proud, I won't put myself in that position again i hope... but I think speeding is much worse, there's very many reckless drivers doing so, statistics say that it is too, but that's depending interpretation I think.

Law is the law though. I could pretty much be certain that my instincts after a bottle of wine would still be a lot quicker than an 85 year old Doris dithering along. I wouldn’t do it though. If I’m drinking I don’t have any. Don’t see the point. "

My point was not to try and disperse the legality of those actions, it was my opinion based on the question asked and what I think. I'll reiterate that drink driving isn't as bad as it's made out to be, this is backed up with real life statistics on road incidents. I know the law of course and don't actively try to break it.

By *ehindHerEyesCouple  over a year ago

SomewhereOnlyWeKnow

Law is the law though. I could pretty much be certain that my instincts after a bottle of wine would still be a lot quicker than an 85 year old Doris dithering along. I wouldn’t do it though. If I’m drinking I don’t have any. Don’t see the point.

My point was not to try and disperse the legality of those actions, it was my opinion based on the question asked and what I think. I'll reiterate that drink driving isn't as bad as it's made out to be, this is backed up with real life statistics on road incidents. I know the law of course and don't actively try to break it."

Drink driving isn't as bad as its made out...really? Doesn't matter the statistics you shouldn't bloody do it full stop!

Tg

Paradise, Herts

Not saying it’s right you have answered the point

Mr"

I meant I don’t see the point of having just one, rather not have any. Not that I don’t see the point in the comment.

My point was not to try and disperse the legality of those actions, it was my opinion based on the question asked and what I think. I'll reiterate that drink driving isn't as bad as it's made out to be, this is backed up with real life statistics on road incidents. I know the law of course and don't actively try to break it."

I'm sure the families that have lost members do you irresponsible d*unk drivers would agree that it's 'not that bad'

"Last weekend I drank 1 can of strongbow and drove home

Now my question is

Ps I was not breathaliesd and was not on a public road !! And was definitely not d*unk ! "

The 2 are not comparable tbh

Benefit fraud hurts no one

D*unk driving can potentially kills people if things go wrong

By *imi_RougeWoman  over a year ago

Portsmouth

It should be zero tolerance... Don't drink at all if you want to drive.

Not comparable to benefit fraud. No one's going to die if you claim money you shouldn't.

Manchester (she/her)

By *partharmonyCouple  over a year ago

Ruislip

Now my question is

Ps I was not breathaliesd and was not on a public road !! And was definitely not d*unk ! "

Are you committing benefit fraud as well as driving under the influence?

By *AFKA HovisMan  over a year ago

Sindon Swingdon Swindon

what stats ?

How are the two comparable???

You plan to drive then don't drink

By *ohn KanakaMan  over a year ago

Not all that North of North London

Dronk drivers are scum who should be punished far more than they are.

They wreck lives.

There is no justification for it, it is just selfish and arrogant.

By *ohn KanakaMan  over a year ago

Not all that North of North London

Cam you provide a link to those statistics?

By *inky_couple2020Couple  over a year ago

North West

"No brainier. Drinking and driving means you might kill someone.. benefit fraud might just piss someone off. I suggest someone deletes this offensive thread. A friend of mine was killed by a d*unk driver. "

My aunt (who I never met) was run over outside her college, on a pedestrian crossing, in broad daylight, by a driver who'd been drinking. It happened on my Grandad's birthday (her Dad). She was 16. He had to identify her. Grandad died last year at age 89 and it never left him.

I have absolutely no patience for anyone who drinks and drives. If you are driving or might be driving, you don't drink alcohol. It's very simple.

By *lydeXXXMan  over a year ago

Doncaster

Here's an idea, if you plan on driving a ton plus of metal where other road users are, where pedestrians including children might be then just don't drink before doing so. As for a comparison with benefit fraud, I think the answer to that doesn't need reiterating and I think the op already knows the answer.

As for anyone thinking drink driving isn't as bad as its made out to be do a quick search "David Logan Dalton-in-Furness" a father and his two children out for a fathers day walk with their dog, logan had been drinking mounted the pavement and killed them all. The mother and wife will never get over this her world gone! I dont care for statistics in these situations. More people are probably killed by boy racers actions every year but that's because there are probably less drink drivers on the road because most people know that only a complete twunt does it.

By *ny1localMan  over a year ago

READING

Not condoning drink driving, but I remember statistics once saying, 20% of fatal accidents was caused by d*unk drivers,..this meant that 80% was caused by sober drivers.

"It should be zero tolerance... Don't drink at all if you want to drive.

Not comparable to benefit fraud. No one's going to die if you claim money you shouldn't."

I will have one small drink if I'm driving but will only actually drive if I feel OK.

Other wise I'd leave my car and get a taxi

I dr-nk drove once after an argument with my ex and he kicked me out in the cold. I clearly wasn't thinking straight and thankfully I didn't cause an accident or get pulled over (I would of almost certainly lost my licence) but I felt awful about it for weeks after wards

Would never ever do it again

I don't know how I would live with myself if I hit someone sober never mind if I was dr^nk

Doncaster

"Not condoning drink driving, but I remember statistics once saying, 20% of fatal accidents was caused by d*unk drivers,..this meant that 80% was caused by sober drivers. "

Think about that statement though. Last year an estimated 1560 people were killed in road accidents. You're saying 80% of those were caused by sober drivers. That may well be the case and for varying reasons, errors of judgement, weather conditions, accidental collisions, being as dumb as shit but then there's that 20%, approximately 312 of those deaths were most likely very avoidable had the drivers just said you know what, I'm driving so I'll not drink. That's the difference in that 20%

By *otdave75Man  over a year ago

Chandlers Ford

Everyone is an individual, I would have one drink and drive, others wouldn’t. People are too quick to judge. I have learnt to not listen to the twats in this world, they just bring everyone down. Bet most of those people slating you drive tired and don’t give it a second thought.

"Not condoning drink driving, but I remember statistics once saying, 20% of fatal accidents was caused by d*unk drivers,..this meant that 80% was caused by sober drivers.

Think about that statement though. Last year an estimated 1560 people were killed in road accidents. You're saying 80% of those were caused by sober drivers. That may well be the case and for varying reasons, errors of judgement, weather conditions, accidental collisions, being as dumb as shit but then there's that 20%, approximately 312 of those deaths were most likely very avoidable had the drivers just said you know what, I'm driving so I'll not drink. That's the difference in that 20%"

Not to mention in that 80%, there's likely drug drivers too

"Everyone is an individual, I would have one drink and drive, others wouldn’t. People are too quick to judge. I have learnt to not listen to the twats in this world, they just bring everyone down. Bet most of those people slating you drive tired and don’t give it a second thought."

That comes across very defensive.

Those twats as you put it, well maybe they look at in the same light.

Doncaster

"Not condoning drink driving, but I remember statistics once saying, 20% of fatal accidents was caused by d*unk drivers,..this meant that 80% was caused by sober drivers.

Think about that statement though. Last year an estimated 1560 people were killed in road accidents. You're saying 80% of those were caused by sober drivers. That may well be the case and for varying reasons, errors of judgement, weather conditions, accidental collisions, being as dumb as shit but then there's that 20%, approximately 312 of those deaths were most likely very avoidable had the drivers just said you know what, I'm driving so I'll not drink. That's the difference in that 20%

Not to mention in that 80%, there's likely drug drivers too"

That's a very good point I did think of after posting so I'm glad you mentioned it.

By *ny1localMan  over a year ago

READING

Maybe it would be simpler to have a zero tolerance to drink/drug driving..no drink/drug driving.

By *alcon43Woman  over a year ago

Paisley

It’s not just about driving after a drink that night, many are still over the limit the following morning.

I was at school with a girl who lost her Mum to a d*unk driver. She also had 3 older sisters.

Paradise, Herts

"Maybe it would be simpler to have a zero tolerance to drink/drug driving..no drink/drug driving. "

It would but then what about if it’s still slightly in your system the next day? Do you mean any traces of alcohol at all and you would be done?

Where do you draw the line if not?

By *ittle_brat_evie!!Woman  over a year ago

evesham

Now my question is

Why do they have to be worse than each other?

By *arkus1812Man  over a year ago

Lifes departure lounge NN9 Northamptonshire East not West MidlandsMidlands

I am of an age which remembers the breathalyser being introduced in 1968.

A couple of weeks after it was introduced two friends of mine were killed when their car hit a tree, excess alcohol was the cause.

Since that time I only drink on my birthday and over Christmas when I know I will not be driving.

I keep a well stocked wine cellar and drinks cupboard to cater for visitors but encourage those who are driving not to partake.

By *agerMorganMan  over a year ago

Canvey Island

Yeah, potentially killing someone is less worse than robbing a few quid.

Sometimes this place brings out the real charmers.

"Poor bugger is getting hammered now "

On one can?

By *ttmcdguy OP   TV/TS  over a year ago

Milton Keynes

Just for the record

I had 1 can with friends at their caravan I then drove at less than 10 miles an hour 300yards to my caravan on private land

At no point was I d*unk nor doing a speed that could hurt anyone

I fully aware DD is a no no there is no need to make accusations that I do

The reason I posted is the twat who thought she could take the moral high ground with me over this is committing benefit fraud

The reason I said 40 on a breathalyser is the police can not use the road side breathalyser as evidence

And by the time you have been detained and put on the evidential breathalyser that level will drop below 35 which is the legal limit

"I am of an age which remembers the breathalyser being introduced in 1968.

A couple of weeks after it was introduced two friends of mine were killed when their car hit a tree, excess alcohol was the cause.

Since that time I only drink on my birthday and over Christmas when I know I will not be driving.

I keep a well stocked wine cellar and drinks cupboard to cater for visitors but encourage those who are driving not to partake. "

"Just for the record

I had 1 can with friends at their caravan I then drove at less than 10 miles an hour 300yards to my caravan on private land

The reason I posted is the twat who thought she could take the moral high ground with me over this is committing benefit fraud

The reason I said 40 on a breathalyser is the police can not use the road side breathalyser as evidence

And by the time you have been detained and put on the evidential breathalyser that level will drop below 35 which is the legal limit

"

And so the benefit fraud was a counter argument to distract your own wrong doing? (shrugs)

By *agneto.Man  over a year ago

Bham

I would drive after one drink, especially if I'd had food and other soft drinks.

By *ealitybitesMan  over a year ago

Belfast

35 years ago I tested a breathalyser machine being installed in a nightclub and it told me I was well over the legal limit.

10 years later I was sent a sample of a breathalyser unit that was being about to made available to licensed premises and once again I was over the legal limit.

Following a work related conversation with a police officer in regard to the above he tested me using an official unit and again I was well over the limit. All three units gave virtually the same reading.

My reason for writing this post is that I have never tasted alcohol at any stage in my life. Not a single drop.

Everyone's metabolism is different and the only true method is common sense.

Sindon Swingdon Swindon

"Not condoning drink driving, but I remember statistics once saying, 20% of fatal accidents was caused by d*unk drivers,..this meant that 80% was caused by sober drivers. "
is this a serious argument ?

It's normally used as a joke... But on fab I'm never sure ...

By *ackformore100Man  over a year ago

Tin town

Now my question is

Theres a legal limit for a reason. The legal limit wouldn't allow people to drive whilst impaired now would it? But only you know if one can of cider makes you a better or worse driver.. Or has no effect on you.

Manchester (she/her)

"Maybe it would be simpler to have a zero tolerance to drink/drug driving..no drink/drug driving.

It would but then what about if it’s still slightly in your system the next day? Do you mean any traces of alcohol at all and you would be done?

Where do you draw the line if not? "

In my state of Australia there's an absolute zero limit for new drivers (I think it's learners plus three or four years?). In practice it means no alcohol, down to and including mouthwash, within 48 hours of driving.

By *annaBeStrongMan  over a year ago

w

Stealing a little cash off the government VS d*unkenly mowing down a person and killing then

If your wondering which is worse, check your priorities

w

Also the reason you can’t do a zero limit is because wheat products can ferment in the gut and give you a reading

Source : use to be a high end delivery driver, trained by the police, and this is one of the subjects they covered

Sindon Swingdon Swindon

"Stealing a little cash off the government VS d*unkenly mowing down a person and killing then

If your wondering which is worse, check your priorities "

I'm not defending OP but the comparison is

Definitely stealing a a few pennies off lots and lots of other people (as it's our money, not HMG) VS increasing your risk of mowing down a person and killing then

Sindon Swingdon Swindon

"Just for the record

"

why didnt you walk ?

w

"Stealing a little cash off the government VS d*unkenly mowing down a person and killing then

If your wondering which is worse, check your priorities I'm not defending OP but the comparison is

Definitely stealing a a few pennies off lots and lots of other people (as it's our money, not HMG) VS increasing your risk of mowing down a person and killing then

"

True, but still. Take the pennies please

Actually do neither, but if you’ve gotta choose I’ll give you some pennies

If your wondering which is worse, check your priorities I'm not defending OP but the comparison is

"

Nobody misses the money stolen by benefit fraud. I can’t say the same thing for someone killed by a d*unk driver.

Liverpool

"It’s not just about driving after a drink that night, many are still over the limit the following morning.

"

Not even just the morning. I recently found out in my substance misuse training for work that the reason we believe we don't get hangovers when we're young is because it can take a young person 2 hours to process each unit of alcohol so they're not hungover the next day because they're still d*unk. If they have a heavy night and have say 8 drinks, that's approximately 16 units depending on what they're drinking. That's 32 hours to process. There's also variation between people so it's much harder to predict and many people won't even remember exactly how many drinks they had or know exactly how many units were in each. There's a lot of criticism in here of people having 1 drink if they know they're going to drive but I would argue they're far more aware of the level of alcohol in their system than someone driving in the days following a heavy night of drinking.

Sindon Swingdon Swindon

True, but still. Take the pennies please

Actually do neither, but if you’ve gotta choose I’ll give you some pennies "

like I say, I'm not defending. Nor am I on the side of DUI. Fact is, even with a more fair statement most would say DUI is worse. That says something.

I get the sense this is a running battle the OP is having. And this song the first time they ahvw argued with their neighbour about benefits.

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman  over a year ago

King's Crustacean

Drink Drivers kill people.

Drink Drivers cannot wash themselves clean by throwing shit at benefit fraudsters.

By *rincess peachWoman  over a year ago

shits creek

"Just for the record

"

Buying time then as far as evidence goes?

Medication, metabolism, general health etc etc, many many things will effect how the alcohol will impact. The same person can have no impairment one day, drink the exact same amount another day and most definitely be impaired. Many times people are impairment but don't realise it or be willing to admit it to themselves.

By *eeliciouschaosWoman  over a year ago

Wherever

"Just for the record

"

You could just leave your car there and walk 300 yards, no?

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman  over a year ago

King's Crustacean

"Just for the record

"

If you are comfortable that what you did is fine then stop getting riled by someone with a different opinion.

Jesus.....

If you are happy that you are in the right then don't defend your position. There is no need. And certainly calling someone else out only serves to make you look foolish.

Liverpool

"Also the reason you can’t do a zero limit is because wheat products can ferment in the gut and give you a reading

Source : use to be a high end delivery driver, trained by the police, and this is one of the subjects they covered "

You would also have to avoid cough medicine and vanilla extract before driving.

By * kiss like morphineMan  over a year ago

The gravelly bit next to the shed

It's up to you, but accept the responsibility should the worst happen.

No drink is better than no ban at all.

Drink driving is not even remotely comparable to benefit fraud and I'm not sure why you would think it is.

Your friend who you say is committing benefit fraud is unlikely to cause serious damage or death to someone else.

» Add a new message to this topic