FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Money saving advice for the coming 'winter'

Money saving advice for the coming 'winter'

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

As auld fart I've a bit of experience...

Learn how your thermostat works.

Thermal curtains.

Keep doors closed to rooms you don't use.

Using heaters costs more than central heating as it takes longer to heat the same space

Get a slow cooker, they literally cost pennies to run.

And learn how to make soup from scratch.

An onion, carrots, lentils and some stock. Easiest base ever and tastes far better and is far better than tinned.

You can fry it all off and stick it in a slow cooker.

You'll end up with a decent amount for pennies.

Reply privately (closed, thread got too big)

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

"Thermal curtains."

Great female username

By *idnight RamblerMan  over a year ago

Pershore

Turn the heating down, and wear thermal underwear. I learned this as an ex-pat Wintering in other countries.

"As auld fart I've a bit of experience...

Thermal curtains.

Using heaters costs more than central heating as it takes longer to heat the same space

An onion, carrots, lentils and some stock. Easiest base ever and tastes far better and is far better than tinned.

"

A slow cooker will cost on average 10.3 pence per hour, An oven on a low temperature will cost about 14 pence per hour so there isn't really that much in it.

Save heating costs and spend as much time as possible in bed with one or more others to share body heat

By *bi HaiveMan  over a year ago
Forum Mod

Cheeseville, Somerset

Thermal curtains.

A slow cooker will cost on average 10.3 pence per hour, An oven on a low temperature will cost about 14 pence per hour so there isn't really that much in it. "

About 40%

But then the oven will also warm the whole kitchen whereas the slow cooker won't..........

A

Thermal curtains.

A slow cooker will cost on average 10.3 pence per hour, An oven on a low temperature will cost about 14 pence per hour so there isn't really that much in it.

About 40%

But then the oven will also warm the whole kitchen whereas the slow cooker won't..........

A"

Not sure why you felt that was funny it's literally 4 pence more expensive on average which is hardly Going to save very much money.

By *bi HaiveMan  over a year ago
Forum Mod

Cheeseville, Somerset

Thermal curtains.

About 40%

A

Not sure why you felt that was funny it's literally 4 pence more expensive on average which is hardly Going to save very much money.

"

You said there's 'not much in it'. One is 40% more expensive than the other, which is a fair bit dearer.

Never mind.........

A

By *irtuousBullMan  over a year ago

puerto pollença

What a mess we're in as a country, where is the prime minister to implement policy during a time of crisis? *Facepalm*

By *icolerobbieCouple  over a year ago

walsall

Thermal curtains.

About 40%

A

"

Look after the pennies and the pounds will look after themselves…

Pershore

Thermal curtains.

About 40%

A"

Comparison:-

Cooker 2 hours @ 3000w = 6,000kwh

Slow cooker 8 hours @ 250w = 2,000 kwh

So only one third the energy for a comparable meal. Agree?

"

A slow cooker will cost on average 10.3 pence per hour, An oven on a low temperature will cost about 14 pence per hour so there isn't really that much in it. "

Can I ask your source on that? 1.3 kW for 8 hours versus 2.3kw an hour is all I can find...

"Thermal curtains.

Great female username "

Great recipe for thrush too...

"

Can I ask your source on that? 1.3 kW for 8 hours versus 2.3kw an hour is all I can find..."

British gas.

walsall

I’ll be getting a slow cooker, they sound ideal. What else can you cook in them besides stews & soups?

"I’ll be getting a slow cooker, they sound ideal. What else can you cook in them besides stews & soups?"

I have a slow cooker and they are absolutely brilliant, I prepare the food the night before, Pop it in the fridge then put the slow cooker on in the morning and I don't have to do another thing other than eat the lovely hot food in the evening.

You can even make cakes in a slow cooker. The BBC good food website has some really good Slow cooker recipes.

By *olf and RedCouple  over a year ago

Nr Cardiff or at Chams Darlaston

Change to low energy lightbulbs

Turn items off standby

Use a draught excluder

Check your insulation is sufficient, sometimes there are grants for this.

Red

"I’ll be getting a slow cooker, they sound ideal. What else can you cook in them besides stews & soups?"

There's a few slow cooker pages on Facebook.

I've done a self saucing chocolate cake and bread too

Thermal curtains.

About 40%

A

"

Surely 5 hours to cook something at 10p per hour costs more that 30mins for the same thing in am oven at 14p per hour

Or am I just crap at maths?

Thermal curtains.

About 40%

A

Surely 5 hours to cook something at 10p per hour costs more that 30mins for the same thing in am oven at 14p per hour

Or am I just crap at maths? "

Well that's what I figured too.

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman  over a year ago

King's Crustacean

Thermal curtains.

About 40%

A

You said there's 'not much in it'. One is 40% more expensive than the other, which is a fair bit dearer.

Never mind.........

A"

40% is hefty. If it isn't then everyone take 40% of what's yours and send it to me pls...... ta

Thermal curtains.

About 40%

A

Never mind.........

A

40% is hefty. If it isn't then everyone take 40% of what's yours and send it to me pls...... ta "

But it doesn't work out like that though because if you cook something in the slow cooker for 4 hours then it's the same price if not cheaper. Even if you do save 4 pence an hour let's say you save 20 pence A-day A basic slow small slow cooker Will cost you at least 15 pounds so you would have to use it a hell of a lot to make any kind of savings. I'm not against slokers I love mine but it is not going to save people very much money unless they already have one.

King's Crustacean

Thermal curtains.

About 40%

A

Not at maths wonko but probably at cooking.

I wouldn't be doing many things in 30 mins in the oven. It would be raw.

Slow cookers are for foods that can take a slow cook not for loads of other stuff.

By *ora the explorerWoman  over a year ago

Paradise, Herts

Thermal curtains.

About 40%

A

On average It’s about 14p for the 8 hours a slow cooker would be on and 14p an hour for an oven so much cheaper to use a slow cooker.

King's Crustacean

The kw per hour need to be taken into account of each appliance too.

Also are you talking leccy ovens or gas ovens ?

Much cheaper in a slow cooker.

Doesn't matter to me either way I don't like the consistency of food from a slow cooker.

Paradise, Herts

"The kw per hour need to be taken into account of each appliance too.

Also are you talking leccy ovens or gas ovens ?

Much cheaper in a slow cooker.

Doesn't matter to me either way I don't like the consistency of food from a slow cooker. "

It’s odd I can’t eat chicken breast from a slow cooker as it tastes awful. The rest I’m ok with. I do joints of meat in it and all sorts but chicken breasts just no!

Maybe the cost of slow cooking v using an oven argument is for another thread? This one is about tips for saving money this winter

"

It’s odd I can’t eat chicken breast from a slow cooker as it tastes awful. The rest I’m ok with. I do joints of meat in it and all sorts but chicken breasts just no!"

I do a pulled chicken

Stands back for the jokes....

Chicken breasts, bbq sauce, when the chicken is ready, pull it apart with a couple of forks. Add peppers, onions etc and some grated cheese,etc it cook for another hour or so

Paradise, Herts

"Maybe the cost of slow cooking v using an oven argument is for another thread? This one is about tips for saving money this winter "

Yes sir sorry sir. I tend to read threads backwards. I shall do better in future

Pershore

Thermal curtains.

About 40%

A

Slow cookers are for foods that can take a slow cook not for loads of other stuff."

Aren't the numbers something like this;-

Cooker 2 hours @ 3kw = 6kwh

cf

Slow cooker 8 hours @ 0.25kw = 2kwh

gives a 67% saving in energy.

Paradise, Herts

"

It’s odd I can’t eat chicken breast from a slow cooker as it tastes awful. The rest I’m ok with. I do joints of meat in it and all sorts but chicken breasts just no!

I do a pulled chicken

Chicken breasts, bbq sauce, when the chicken is ready, pull it apart with a couple of forks. Add peppers, onions etc and some grated cheese,etc it cook for another hour or so"

Ffs I really want to comment about my pulled pork but I’m too scared to now!

"Maybe the cost of slow cooking v using an oven argument is for another thread? This one is about tips for saving money this winter "

Thank you x

"

I do a pulled chicken

Chicken breasts, bbq sauce, when the chicken is ready, pull it apart with a couple of forks. Add peppers, onions etc and some grated cheese,etc it cook for another hour or so

Ffs I really want to comment about my pulled pork but I’m too scared to now! "

Do it....

By *etcplCouple  over a year ago

Gapping Fanny

Advice from the UK gov is to get a better paying job or a second/third job!

King's Crustacean

The 'deeper analysis' IS about saving money for the winter.

What's your tip for today ?

"Maybe the cost of slow cooking v using an oven argument is for another thread? This one is about tips for saving money this winter

Yes sir sorry sir. I tend to read threads backwards. I shall do better in future "

Make sure you do

Draught excluders are a good idea as is getting some of the insulating foam that goes inside the door frame. Plugging gaps to stop heat loss.

As well saving money, putting things you don't need anymore on Facebook Marketplace or eBay can earn a little extra to help out.

King's Crustacean

"Advice from the UK gov is to get a better paying job or a second/third job! "

Apparently that is easier for us men than it is for women

"Maybe the cost of slow cooking v using an oven argument is for another thread? This one is about tips for saving money this winter

What's your tip for today ? "

I get that but people might start reading the thread, see a handful of people arguing about the cost of a slow cooker and then not bother to read any further thereby missing out.

Tips added previously

"Advice from the UK gov is to get a better paying job or a second/third job! "

That actually sounds sensible...coming from our government...

Paradise, Herts

Yes sir sorry sir. I tend to read threads backwards. I shall do better in future

Make sure you do

Draught excluders are a good idea as is getting some of the insulating foam that goes inside the door frame. Plugging gaps to stop heat loss.

As well saving money, putting things you don't need anymore on Facebook Marketplace or eBay can earn a little extra to help out."

I like that one. I’ve never ever had a draught excluder. I may get one of those

By *eavenscentitCouple  over a year ago

barnstaple

I doubt the MP's are having these conversations

Thermal curtains.

according to a expert on BBC said yesterday microwave cost .75 p per min elec oven 4 p gas 3.3 air fryer 1.2 same for slow cooker all per minute hope it helps some.

"

I do a pulled chicken

Chicken breasts, bbq sauce, when the chicken is ready, pull it apart with a couple of forks. Add peppers, onions etc and some grated cheese,etc it cook for another hour or so"

But the point is unless you already have a slow cooker it won't save you very much money so it is relevant to the thread.

King's Crustacean

I get that but people might start reading the thread, see a handful of people arguing about the cost of a slow cooker and then not bother to read any further thereby missing out.

Tips added previously "

How warm do I get if I chase the post police around a thread slowly for for five hours instead of quickly for one hour ?

Cola beef is great in the slow cooker

By *ilverjagMan  over a year ago

swansea

lambs hearts are delicious in a slow cooker, or on a low heat in a conventional oven. I've served them to guests with a port wine sauce, accompanied with pork, based stuffing, and I've waited days before telling them what they'd eaten, and nobody has kicked off about it yet. Also offal is so cheap and you can do a hell of a lot with it such as Venetian liver, or liver Valencia which when cooked that way has no strong taste to it, thus saving on the weekly food budget while you're at it. If your mixer has a mincer attachment, you can put cheap cuts of meat together with offal, freeze it down, and use it in lasagne and other mince based dishes such a mousaka, all done at knock down prices.

Pershore

Tips added previously "

I see your point, but the problem with 'tips' is that they often lack hard evidence. Drilling down to the facts helps put things in perspective.

King's Crustacean

Make sure you do

As well saving money, putting things you don't need anymore on Facebook Marketplace or eBay can earn a little extra to help out.I like that one. I’ve never ever had a draught excluder. I may get one of those "

Nora. Stuff your old stockings with your old clothes n stick em at the bottom of the doors through the winter.

Don't buy them.

King's Crustacean

Tips added previously

I see your point, but the problem with 'tips' is that they often lack hard evidence. Drilling down to the facts helps put things in perspective. "

Correct mr. thinker. I appreciated your kw and 67% but cba copying and pasting.

King's Crustacean

"I’ll be getting a slow cooker, they sound ideal. What else can you cook in them besides stews & soups?

Cola beef is great in the slow cooker "

Christ Joey if they can afford the beef and cola they don't need to save the extra 4p

By *ad NannaWoman  over a year ago

East London

Thermal curtains.

About 40%

A

Slow cookers are for foods that can take a slow cook not for loads of other stuff."

Nothing I've made in my slow cooker tasted great.

I mostly use mine to keep stews and curries warm after I've cooked them on the hob.

"Bypass the meter, if the board is close do it properly and only bypass something smart like the shower or storage heaters

Electric heaters are basically 100% efficient, but gas is much cheaper. Don’t be fooled by advertising. It’s cheaper to heat your home with gas, and if you don’t have gas, that’s super expensive “ultra efficient” electric heaters are a rip off, they all heat the same

You can still dry cloths outside, even when it’s cold, as long as there’s a breeze

If you don’t want to do that, invest in a heated airer. Very cheap to run and dried stuff quick. Keep it in the bathroom to help with humidity as dehumidifiers cost a lot to run and moisture build up in a bedroom/living room won’t end well

Learn to eat cheap. That might mean giving up some mouth pleasure, but if your actually hungry everything tastes good. Rice beans meat is your friend. Huge batch of chilli for the week. Potatoes are good but consider the cooking time. Rice is cheaper

Bypassing the metre is illegal and will get you into a massive amount of trouble. Not something anybody should consider it is also very dangerous to start messing with electrics. "

least then you'll get 3 meals a day and keep warm not great but some will be thinking about it.

King's Crustacean

Agreed Nanna!

Scouse done in the pan = soft spuds and carrots , tender meat n lovely thick sauce.

Scouse done in a slow cooker = Looks the same as it went in but now looks like brown veg in bovril.

"Bypass the meter, if the board is close do it properly and only bypass something smart like the shower or storage heaters

Electric heaters are basically 100% efficient, but gas is much cheaper. Don’t be fooled by advertising. It’s cheaper to heat your home with gas, and if you don’t have gas, that’s super expensive “ultra efficient” electric heaters are a rip off, they all heat the same

You can still dry cloths outside, even when it’s cold, as long as there’s a breeze

If you don’t want to do that, invest in a heated airer. Very cheap to run and dried stuff quick. Keep it in the bathroom to help with humidity as dehumidifiers cost a lot to run and moisture build up in a bedroom/living room won’t end well

Learn to eat cheap. That might mean giving up some mouth pleasure, but if your actually hungry everything tastes good. Rice beans meat is your friend. Huge batch of chilli for the week. Potatoes are good but consider the cooking time. Rice is cheaper

Bypassing the metre is illegal and will get you into a massive amount of trouble. Not something anybody should consider it is also very dangerous to start messing with electrics. least then you'll get 3 meals a day and keep warm not great but some will be thinking about it."

And have to pay a massive fine and all the money back.

Thermal curtains.

A slow cooker will cost on average 10.3 pence per hour, An oven on a low temperature will cost about 14 pence per hour so there isn't really that much in it. according to a expert on BBC said yesterday microwave cost .75 p per min elec oven 4 p gas 3.3 air fryer 1.2 same for slow cooker all per minute hope it helps some."

So in order of ascending energy use - Microwave, Slow Cooker, Air Fryer, Oven. That's useful to know.

Pershore

Tips added previously

I see your point, but the problem with 'tips' is that they often lack hard evidence. Drilling down to the facts helps put things in perspective.

Correct mr. thinker. I appreciated your kw and 67% but cba copying and pasting. "

c & p what?

East London

"Agreed Nanna!

Scouse done in the pan = soft spuds and carrots , tender meat n lovely thick sauce.

Scouse done in a slow cooker = Looks the same as it went in but now looks like brown veg in bovril. "

I think cook books and YouTubers lie.

"Agreed Nanna!

Scouse done in a slow cooker = Looks the same as it went in but now looks like brown veg in bovril. "

I got rid of mine as kids wouldn't eat anything cooked in it. Works well for meat based dishes but...I'm less able to afford meat as prices rise. And doesn't work for the veggies in my family.

East London

Thermal curtains.

A slow cooker will cost on average 10.3 pence per hour, An oven on a low temperature will cost about 14 pence per hour so there isn't really that much in it. according to a expert on BBC said yesterday microwave cost .75 p per min elec oven 4 p gas 3.3 air fryer 1.2 same for slow cooker all per minute hope it helps some.

So in order of ascending energy use - Microwave, Slow Cooker, Air Fryer, Oven. That's useful to know. "

You forgot sandwiches. They don't use any energy

Tips added previously

I see your point, but the problem with 'tips' is that they often lack hard evidence. Drilling down to the facts helps put things in perspective. "

Fair enough - 175 posts debating the kwh usage of a slow cooker will massively help save those bills.

Have at it folks

East London

"Agreed Nanna!

Scouse done in a slow cooker = Looks the same as it went in but now looks like brown veg in bovril.

I got rid of mine as kids wouldn't eat anything cooked in it. Works well for meat based dishes but...I'm less able to afford meat as prices rise. And doesn't work for the veggies in my family. "

I think you have to fry the life out of them first, and I don't like oily veg in soups.

Thermal curtains.

A slow cooker will cost on average 10.3 pence per hour, An oven on a low temperature will cost about 14 pence per hour so there isn't really that much in it. according to a expert on BBC said yesterday microwave cost .75 p per min elec oven 4 p gas 3.3 air fryer 1.2 same for slow cooker all per minute hope it helps some.

So in order of ascending energy use - Microwave, Slow Cooker, Air Fryer, Oven. That's useful to know.

You forgot sandwiches. They don't use any energy "

They use my energy.

East London

Tips added previously

Fair enough - 175 posts debating the kwh usage of a slow cooker will massively help save those bills.

Have at it folks "

I'm charging my phone on the bus later.

That's another money saving tip right there

East London

Thermal curtains.

You forgot sandwiches. They don't use any energy

They use my energy. "

Yea, but you eat the sandwich and get it back

King's Crustacean

Tips added previously

Have at it folks "

People have stopped that now.

They are doing recipes.... yum.

King's Crustacean

Tips added previously

Have at it folks

That's another money saving tip right there "

I charge mine in coffee shops, library in fact anywhere I want Never on a bus though ........ how do you do that ?

James. This is a money saving tip okay ?

King's Crustacean

"Agreed Nanna!

I think cook books and YouTubers lie. "

Jamie Oliver lies.

King's Crustacean

Tips added previously

Correct mr. thinker. I appreciated your kw and 67% but cba copying and pasting.

c & p what? "

The very long post to quote you.

walsall

"Advice from the UK gov is to get a better paying job or a second/third job!

That actually sounds sensible...coming from our government... "

They don’t however recommend that you go on strike to get a fair pay packet for the job you do though.

Maybe they are trying to get long term workers off their contracts and onto modern zero hours versions?

What about bulk buying certain items? Rice is the most obvious as can be purchased in large sacks. I'm looking for pasta as we do eat a lot - biggest I've found is 3KG. I will try my local independent shop and also buy lentils and dried beans. I appreciate that some aren't able to store large amounts nor can they pay the extra price at the outset. But it may help some?

I’d actually suggest an electric pressure cooker over a slow cooker! It cooks things much faster than a conventional oven and the cost to run is also significantly lower!

It’s perfect for cheaper cuts of meat too!

By *JB1954Man  over a year ago

Reading

As I live on my own. To save on fuel . Use electricity to cook. I luckily can buy large roasting joints from wholesaler. Most times one beef and one pork. Cook both and slice up . Then once cold put in freezer for future use. When using sliced meat. Cook say roast potato’s and veg for two days. Second day only use micro wave to heat up. Same if using slow cooker. Bulk cook and freeze in containers for single meals.So saving on electricity.

East London

Tips added previously

Have at it folks

That's another money saving tip right there

I charge mine in coffee shops, library in fact anywhere I want Never on a bus though ........ how do you do that ?

James. This is a money saving tip okay ?"

Being from The Nam we have special buses with USB charging ports on the back of the seats.

Free energy

East London

"Advice from the UK gov is to get a better paying job or a second/third job!

That actually sounds sensible...coming from our government...

They don’t however recommend that you go on strike to get a fair pay packet for the job you do though.

Maybe they are trying to get long term workers off their contracts and onto modern zero hours versions?"

They'll be telling people to work 25 hours a day soon.

Paradise, Herts

"What about bulk buying certain items? Rice is the most obvious as can be purchased in large sacks. I'm looking for pasta as we do eat a lot - biggest I've found is 3KG. I will try my local independent shop and also buy lentils and dried beans. I appreciate that some aren't able to store large amounts nor can they pay the extra price at the outset. But it may help some? "

I do this. I do a big monthly shop on line (usually Asda) for the big stuff (drinks, jars, pasta, cleaning stufff etc) then a small weekly shop at Tesco’s for the fresh stuff. I find it cheaper that way.

"I’d actually suggest an electric pressure cooker over a slow cooker! It cooks things much faster than a conventional oven and the cost to run is also significantly lower!

It’s perfect for cheaper cuts of meat too! "

Good shout...although they terrify me...traumatised when I was kid and my gran's ended up decorating her kitchen ceiling

walsall

F have a bath fully clothed and instead of expensive toiletries use simple washing powder.

Hey presto clean clothes and a clean you…

By *oodmessMan  over a year ago

yumsville

It's probably worth mentioning vampire devices again. Things like stereo's, cookers, washers, TV's, computers, lights, microwaves, chargers, routers etc.

Most are single use or periodic use and not needing to be turned on until meal times or set times during the day or week. Turning them off at the mains or having them on a timer (like your TV and router), stops that small daily draw that over the week, month and year does add quite a lot.

King's Crustacean

"F have a bath fully clothed and instead of expensive toiletries use simple washing powder.

Hey presto clean clothes and a clean you… "

This is such a good idea. Even better , bath with a friend or the entire family.

Bring back neighbourhood spirit and have bath nights in peoples swimming pools.

Genius !

By *he Queen of TartsWoman  over a year ago
Forum Mod

My Own Little World

It costs almost double the amount to boil a pint of water in an electric kettle than is does on a gas stove top.

"It costs almost double the amount to boil a pint of water in an electric kettle than is does on a gas stove top. "

I read this on a previous thread and now we fill a thermos every morning for my eldest to have his constant cuppas.

By *ack688Man  over a year ago

abruzzo Italy (and UK)

"I’d actually suggest an electric pressure cooker over a slow cooker! It cooks things much faster than a conventional oven and the cost to run is also significantly lower!

It’s perfect for cheaper cuts of meat too! "

If you’re looking into buying one or either if you don’t have one at all then look into the Instant Pot type products as they act as both slow cookers and pressure cookers in one.

By *2000ManMan  over a year ago

Worthing

My microwave has a convection fan oven function so not needed the larger oven for years.

Insulate your loft with 270mm mineral wool insulation, grants are available for those on low incomes. It’s a quick win

Insulate cavity walls if not done.. again grants are available.

Turn your thermostat down to 19-20 degrees

Check the temp/flow rate on your boiler most are set too high.

Draft excluders

The energy trust is a good source of information.

Act on Energy is a midlands based energy charity which can advise on grants available and general energy advice.

Low energy lighting but turn off lights when not in use.

"F have a bath fully clothed and instead of expensive toiletries use simple washing powder.

Hey presto clean clothes and a clean you… "

A return to the Sunday night where the whole family shares the bathwater?...shudder

By *RANDMRSJAECouple  over a year ago

chester

Almost everything!!! Whole chicken, no waste and can make at least 2 meals.

I use mine more for convenience than anything but slow cooker recipes online are fab

It is not advised when very cold to light your farts as a replacement for the fire place you will burn out your insides and also its not family friendly for the family to all sit around an anus while watching tv unless its a boris press conference

abruzzo Italy (and UK)

General ideas on being more frugal

Look at all of your monthly outgoings in terms of subscription services and be realistic about which of them you actually need and do away with the rest.

Bulk buying of dried products is good if you have the space, then also bulk cook, so make large quantities of any meal you’re cooking and freeze the excess, it actually helps keep the cost of running your freezer down if it’s as full as possible too.

Stop buying ready meals, take aways, and make as much from scratch as possible, even things like your own bread, mayonnaise, hummus, stock, pate etc. Only buy foods in season as they are much cheaper also local foods are often cheaper although not always. Be realistic about whether that particularly expensive food you like is worth the money.

If you are using the hob to cook things then try to find meals that only need one ring on, or use a steamer with stacked levels to cook multiple things simultaneously.

Shop at cheaper supermarkets and buy own brand products where possible. You might think you can ‘taste the difference’, but you won’t for long.

Stop going to coffee shops and spending a fortune there unless you plan to buy one drink and spend several hours there charging your laptop or whatever and keeping warm. If you want to meet friends do it at someone’s home instead.

Libraries are great places to spend time in somewhere warm during the day with no expectation of having to spend money

Shut off rooms you don’t use and turn the radiators off in those rooms.

Dress slightly warmer and turn the thermostat down a little and try to keep the heating on for the minimum time to make the house comfortable for the rest of the evening.

An electric blanket is much cheaper than heating a bedroom, so if you only use the bedroom to sleep in (or have vigorous exercise that will warm you up anyway) then turn the heating off in that room and just use the blanket. If you have teenagers who want to spend all their time in their rooms requiring extra heating then try to encourage and even reward them to use more family rooms whenever possible to reduce room heating needs.

Do away with the gym membership and go for a regular brisk walk, it gets your metabolism going and keeps your body at a generally warmer temperature.

Turn appliances (tv, computers etc) off rather then simply putting them on standby, a tv on standby is still using power.

abruzzo Italy (and UK)

"General ideas on being more frugal

Look at all of your monthly outgoings in terms of subscription services and be realistic about which of them you actually need and do away with the rest.

Bulk buying of dried products is good if you have the space, then also bulk cook, so make large quantities of any meal you’re cooking and freeze the excess, it actually helps keep the cost of running your freezer down if it’s as full as possible too.

Stop buying ready meals, take aways, and make as much from scratch as possible, even things like your own bread, mayonnaise, hummus, stock, pate etc. Only buy foods in season as they are much cheaper also local foods are often cheaper although not always. Be realistic about whether that particularly expensive food you like is worth the money.

If you are using the hob to cook things then try to find meals that only need one ring on, or use a steamer with stacked levels to cook multiple things simultaneously.

Shop at cheaper supermarkets and buy own brand products where possible. You might think you can ‘taste the difference’, but you won’t for long.

Stop going to coffee shops and spending a fortune there unless you plan to buy one drink and spend several hours there charging your laptop or whatever and keeping warm. If you want to meet friends do it at someone’s home instead.

Libraries are great places to spend time in somewhere warm during the day with no expectation of having to spend money

Shut off rooms you don’t use and turn the radiators off in those rooms.

Dress slightly warmer and turn the thermostat down a little and try to keep the heating on for the minimum time to make the house comfortable for the rest of the evening.

An electric blanket is much cheaper than heating a bedroom, so if you only use the bedroom to sleep in (or have vigorous exercise that will warm you up anyway) then turn the heating off in that room and just use the blanket. If you have teenagers who want to spend all their time in their rooms requiring extra heating then try to encourage and even reward them to use more family rooms whenever possible to reduce room heating needs.

Do away with the gym membership and go for a regular brisk walk, it gets your metabolism going and keeps your body at a generally warmer temperature.

Turn appliances (tv, computers etc) off rather then simply putting them on standby, a tv on standby is still using power. "

Also, unless something major has happened to your body shape, you don’t need any more clothes, try and go for a year without buying any new clothes. Especially avoid the sales!

By *imi_RougeWoman  over a year ago

Portsmouth

Gammon in brown sugar is lovely.

You can do cakes.

I've done cheese and bacon bread in mine... So many things!

buying a tent and a sleeping bag is my genius idea. A bit of indoor camping is always fun.

By *tsalwaysthequietonesCouple  over a year ago

Lancs

Buy from charity shops.

Reduce, reuse, recycle.

Make cards / gifts for people.

Buy from approved foods and too good to go online shops for massive savings.

Dropped our thermostat down to 18*c.

Must be wearing socks, slippers and jumpers in the house.

Extra throws on the sofa and beds.

Use tealight candles instead of lamps.

Sharing bath water

Jam butties are cheap and cheerful and super tasty.

Slow cooker stews.

[Removed by poster at 27/08/22 00:36:07]

Any single ladies can move in with us to split the bills

By *layTimeEssexCouple  over a year ago

Stansted

Move to another country where the increases are much less because they have a competent government that does something and a currency that hasn't been battered by Brexit.

By *asycouple1971Couple  over a year ago

midlands

How about we remember not to vote for the Tory when its the next GE?

"How about we remember not to vote for the Tory when its the next GE? "

Labour would not be performing any better.

Labour did not future proof our energy needs when in power and this is a result of bad planning wrt to energy needs,

Covid response (labour would have had us locked down harder & longer) and Ukraine/Russia has exacerbated it all.

It’s not a one party political problem

By *den-Valley-coupleCouple  over a year ago

Cumbria

Turn off all the electrical rubbish you do not need like Amazon Alexa all your Wi-Fi plugs and lights always make sure you take your phone charger to work and fully charged there also always poo at work turn radiators down or even off in Low use rooms set your washing machine to come on overnight likewise with dryer make sure you do not have any outgoing payments that you no longer use like gym more music subscriptions.

By *icecouple561Couple  over a year ago
Forum Mod

East Sussex

Basically people live like Scrooge and be happy about it.

"What a mess we're in as a country, where is the prime minister to implement policy during a time of crisis? *Facepalm*"

Pardon me if I am being stupid but isn’t the solution as simple as returning the cap to where it was at last year? I really aren’t an economist so no doubt I am missing the point

By *herryEatersCouple  over a year ago

East Cheshire

Keep all doors and windows shut when cold. Buy big rugs to cover hard flooring.

Don't leave devices on standby or lights on in unoccupied rooms. ALWAYS switch off at the mains ! (TV, mobile phone chargers, microwaves with clocks etc). Reduces the risk of fire too.

Check the wattage of your most used lights and reduce as far as possible. Some led bulbs only use 1W !. You can now buy LED replacements for power hungry florescent tubes too (like fitted in some kitchens), they include a replacement starter too, you MUST fit this at the same time.

If you have an immersion heater check the controller, some are on all night when would give the same result only on for one hour early morning ! (switching off just before you'd first use it in the morning).

On Economy7 ?, check what times it switches over (you sometimes hear a click in the cupboard). Some have just two periods per 24 hours, others have 3 or 4 !. Check your immersion heater timing and reduce as much as possible, try reducing in stages till the water isn't warm enough then go back a step. Do what you can while on the low rate (washing, drying, having a shower etc).

Try 8 hour tealights for a little extra heat but beware the fire risk. Shop around and buy for as little as 7.7p each (bulk buying).

You have switches with neon indicators ? (they sometimes flicker and fade or fail in time). Replace these switches with ones without glowing lights, they can use 3-5w just for the damn neon !.

By *ong-leggedblondWoman  over a year ago

Next Door

Air frier vs pressure cooker vs slow cooker.

Which is more economical?

I boil a full kettle of water and put the boiling water into thermos to use later for my coffee.

I've usually keep my heating on constantly over winter at 16c, i doubt I will this year. Gloves while typing (i work from home), extra blankets .

Pershore

"Air frier vs pressure cooker vs slow cooker.

Which is more economical?

I boil a full kettle of water and put the boiling water into thermos to use later for my coffee.

I've usually keep my heating on constantly over winter at 16c, i doubt I will this year. Gloves while typing (i work from home), extra blankets ."

The way to analyse this is to look for the device on Amazon and note the Kw rating e.g. 2Kw. Then think how long the device will be om each use e.g. 2 hours. That is 2kw x 2 hrs = 4Kwh. That is how much energy you will use and get charged per use.

By *allySlinkyWoman  over a year ago

Leeds

I am curious why 'winter' in the thread title is in inverted commas

Get a spooning partner.

Forum Mod

East Sussex

Will any of the money saving tips here save enough to counteract the energy price rise let alone inflation in food etc?

It's cheaper to keep the house warmer than it is to turn the heating off and then heat it from cold. Turn the thermostat down to 15 or 16, and put on another jumper. Turn off all lights if you aren't in the room. You can actually watch TV in the dark! Insulate your loft-400mm.

By *ebjonnsonMan  over a year ago

Maldon

Claim to be an asylum seeker. You’ll get put in a nice warm hotel and given £175 per week .

By *lex46TV/TS  over a year ago

Near Wells

Cook more than one meal at a time. I usually cook enough for two meals at once. Eat one, microwave the other the next day.

Saves money and time.

By *allySlinkyWoman  over a year ago

Leeds

"Will any of the money saving tips here save enough to counteract the energy price rise let alone inflation in food etc?"

I have unplugged my smart meter as it uses electricity !

By *allguynowMan  over a year ago

durham

So the energy companies are absolutely raking it in. Literally billions in profits and we have people in genuine financial difficulties because of this. The already rich are getting richer because they tend to have shares and dividends in these companies but ordinary Joe is having to come up with ingenious ways of trying to save a few quid. Doff cap, tug forlock. We're back to victoriana times. Soup kitchens next. We put up with far too much from our incompetent politicians. Broken, brexit Britain. RIP.

By *izandpaulCouple  over a year ago

merseyside

Thermal curtains.

About 40%

A

You can also buy much cheaper cuts of meat as they are delicious if slow cooked.

Our boiler died last year, had no heating for 4 days, it was brilliant.

Lay on sofa with a duvet, big socks and bobble hat. Bliss.

By *naswingdressWoman  over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

"So the energy companies are absolutely raking it in. Literally billions in profits and we have people in genuine financial difficulties because of this. The already rich are getting richer because they tend to have shares and dividends in these companies but ordinary Joe is having to come up with ingenious ways of trying to save a few quid. Doff cap, tug forlock. We're back to victoriana times. Soup kitchens next. We put up with far too much from our incompetent politicians. Broken, brexit Britain. RIP. "

Well, we already have food banks - look at the explosion of the need for them since 2010.

What happened in 2010? Hmm.

Forum Mod

East Sussex

Thermal curtains.

About 40%

A

Slow cookers are for foods that can take a slow cook not for loads of other stuff.

You can also buy much cheaper cuts of meat as they are delicious if slow cooked.

Our boiler died last year, had no heating for 4 days, it was brilliant.

Lay on sofa with a duvet, big socks and bobble hat. Bliss."

Four days without heating is very different to six months.

By *olly_chromaticTV/TS  over a year ago

Stockport

Have a nice warming bonfire by burning down the houses of parliament... The government have done fuck all work the entire summer, so obviously don't need the place themselves.

Manchester (she/her)

"Have a nice warming bonfire by burning down the houses of parliament... The government have done fuck all work the entire summer, so obviously don't need the place themselves. "

By *olly_chromaticTV/TS  over a year ago

Stockport

"Have a nice warming bonfire by burning down the houses of parliament... The government have done fuck all work the entire summer, so obviously don't need the place themselves.

"

Whenever the flames start getting low, just chuck another cabinet minister on the fire.

Manchester (she/her)

"Have a nice warming bonfire by burning down the houses of parliament... The government have done fuck all work the entire summer, so obviously don't need the place themselves.

Whenever the flames start getting low, just chuck another cabinet minister on the fire."

I suspect with all the bullshit spewed, we'll heat the entire nation just on bullshit (no need to damage Westminster or harm any people) until 2035.

I was looking at electric throws for keeping warm on the sofa when I can't put the heating on.

..... It's fucking ridiculous. It's 2022 not 1822. I'm not going to spend the whole winter under a duvet.

Going to be walking round shops to keep warm, looking for cheap cabbage to make soup.

Stupid 2022!!!

Forum Mod

East Sussex

Apart from cooking everything in a slow cooker, wearing a bobble hat and turning all the lights off what can we do that will make a significant and meaningful difference but allow us some level of comfort?

Do I keep my “ thermal curtains” open or closed?

Forum Mod

East Sussex

"I was looking at electric throws for keeping warm on the sofa when I can't put the heating on.

..... It's fucking ridiculous. It's 2022 not 1822. I'm not going to spend the whole winter under a duvet.

Going to be walking round shops to keep warm, looking for cheap cabbage to make soup.

Stupid 2022!!!"

You can have bread with it on Sunday

Forum Mod

East Sussex

"Do I keep my “ thermal curtains” open or closed? "

Agree 100%

Mind you the incoming poor man’s Maggie Thatcher tribute band is awful too…

By *arlomaleMan  over a year ago

darlington

Reduced my phone contact to the minimum instead of £60 per month I’m paying £10 didn’t bother with an upgrade also I’ve changed all my bulbs to energy saving led bulbs but my biggest thing to save money on was using the tumble drier intend to peg out my washing where I never bothered before I suppose it will save me a few £££

Manchester (she/her)

"Apart from cooking everything in a slow cooker, wearing a bobble hat and turning all the lights off what can we do that will make a significant and meaningful difference but allow us some level of comfort?"

Probably very little.

I read once (ages ago) that something like 70% of global carbon emissions come from a handful of companies. So billions of us are being asked to change the world, majorly inconveniencing ourselves for a trillionth of one percent of a difference each, while big companies are causing the damage.

This feels like that. We'll go uphill both ways in the blazing snow, suffer in all sorts of ways, for very little overall benefit.

Manchester (she/her)

"Reduced my phone contact to the minimum instead of £60 per month I’m paying £10 didn’t bother with an upgrade also I’ve changed all my bulbs to energy saving led bulbs but my biggest thing to save money on was using the tumble drier intend to peg out my washing where I never bothered before I suppose it will save me a few £££"

Airers are fairly inexpensive - I'm in an apartment so I can't hang outside. I only ever tumble dry towels.

Forum Mod

East Sussex

"Apart from cooking everything in a slow cooker, wearing a bobble hat and turning all the lights off what can we do that will make a significant and meaningful difference but allow us some level of comfort?

Probably very little.

I read once (ages ago) that something like 70% of global carbon emissions come from a handful of companies. So billions of us are being asked to change the world, majorly inconveniencing ourselves for a trillionth of one percent of a difference each, while big companies are causing the damage.

This feels like that. We'll go uphill both ways in the blazing snow, suffer in all sorts of ways, for very little overall benefit."

Agreed. There will be no significant savings for us financially either. We can make ourselves utterly miserable saving a few quid a month bit compared to the price increases it will only make a tiny difference. If your energy bill goes up by 2.5 times turning your lights off and eating lentil soup still means you can't have the heating on anywhere near as frequently.

Manchester (she/her)

"Apart from cooking everything in a slow cooker, wearing a bobble hat and turning all the lights off what can we do that will make a significant and meaningful difference but allow us some level of comfort?

Probably very little.

This feels like that. We'll go uphill both ways in the blazing snow, suffer in all sorts of ways, for very little overall benefit.

Agreed. There will be no significant savings for us financially either. We can make ourselves utterly miserable saving a few quid a month bit compared to the price increases it will only make a tiny difference. If your energy bill goes up by 2.5 times turning your lights off and eating lentil soup still means you can't have the heating on anywhere near as frequently. "

It's yet another example of why "personal responsibility" doesn't solve every problem it's supposed to.

(Yes, I'm twisting my own life to save pennies here and there as well, because I don't think meaningful help will be forthcoming)

darlington

"Reduced my phone contact to the minimum instead of £60 per month I’m paying £10 didn’t bother with an upgrade also I’ve changed all my bulbs to energy saving led bulbs but my biggest thing to save money on was using the tumble drier intend to peg out my washing where I never bothered before I suppose it will save me a few £££

Airers are fairly inexpensive - I'm in an apartment so I can't hang outside. I only ever tumble dry towels. "

I’ve never really thought about having to cut down and watch the pennies but my fixed rate has just come to an end and I’ve only a short period left on my mortgage and can’t get a decent deal due to the short time remaining so I’ve looked into other ways and the biggest saving so far is my phone contract also I’ve shopped about for different insurance on my car and van I’m surprised at the money I’ve saved so far

Forum Mod

East Sussex

I do think a lot of people will realise how much money they're spending that they don't need to. Butt I have yet to see a set of suggestions that will allow most of us to maintain anywhere near a warm house this year by saving on gym membership and eating soup

Manchester (she/her)

"Reduced my phone contact to the minimum instead of £60 per month I’m paying £10 didn’t bother with an upgrade also I’ve changed all my bulbs to energy saving led bulbs but my biggest thing to save money on was using the tumble drier intend to peg out my washing where I never bothered before I suppose it will save me a few £££

Airers are fairly inexpensive - I'm in an apartment so I can't hang outside. I only ever tumble dry towels. I’ve never really thought about having to cut down and watch the pennies but my fixed rate has just come to an end and I’ve only a short period left on my mortgage and can’t get a decent deal due to the short time remaining so I’ve looked into other ways and the biggest saving so far is my phone contract also I’ve shopped about for different insurance on my car and van I’m surprised at the money I’ve saved so far "

Growing up in Australia (more sun etc) air drying my clothes is my norm. I picked up a £5 fold up airer from Ikea as a student in 2009 (obviously it won't be £5 now, if it exists). Still going strong. It's probably paid for itself a couple of times, lol.

For me it was habit rather than cost saving, tbh.

darlington

"I do think a lot of people will realise how much money they're spending that they don't need to. Butt I have yet to see a set of suggestions that will allow most of us to maintain anywhere near a warm house this year by saving on gym membership and eating soup"
unfortunately I don’t think you can save in regards to heating you’re home depending on how well insulated or how efficient you’re boiler is it’s hard it probably comes down to being sensible I was always told to keep the boiler running all day on a low setting

Forum Mod

East Sussex

"I do think a lot of people will realise how much money they're spending that they don't need to. Butt I have yet to see a set of suggestions that will allow most of us to maintain anywhere near a warm house this year by saving on gym membership and eating soup unfortunately I don’t think you can save in regards to heating you’re home depending on how well insulated or how efficient you’re boiler is it’s hard it probably comes down to being sensible I was always told to keep the boiler running all day on a low setting "

It no longer comes down to being sensible though, it is going to come down to a stark choice between heating on or off. If you previously heated your house for six hours a day you might be able to afford two hours or six at a very low temperature.

Manchester (she/her)

"I do think a lot of people will realise how much money they're spending that they don't need to. Butt I have yet to see a set of suggestions that will allow most of us to maintain anywhere near a warm house this year by saving on gym membership and eating soup unfortunately I don’t think you can save in regards to heating you’re home depending on how well insulated or how efficient you’re boiler is it’s hard it probably comes down to being sensible I was always told to keep the boiler running all day on a low setting "

Being in apartment (boiler is only for hot water, not heating), I can save money on heating.

I call this sorcery "being cold".

By *AFKA HovisMan  over a year ago

Sindon Swingdon Swindon

Whenever the flames start getting low, just chuck another cabinet minister on the fire."

witches don't burn tho

Manchester (she/her)

Whenever the flames start getting low, just chuck another cabinet minister on the fire.witches don't burn tho"

darlington

"I do think a lot of people will realise how much money they're spending that they don't need to. Butt I have yet to see a set of suggestions that will allow most of us to maintain anywhere near a warm house this year by saving on gym membership and eating soup unfortunately I don’t think you can save in regards to heating you’re home depending on how well insulated or how efficient you’re boiler is it’s hard it probably comes down to being sensible I was always told to keep the boiler running all day on a low setting

Being in apartment (boiler is only for hot water, not heating), I can save money on heating.

I call this sorcery "being cold"."

my friend has a flat and I’m sure her heating and the other flats is provided by steam and it heats all the flats in the block via a big boiler house probably a good idea when they built them in the 1970s

By * and R cple4Couple  over a year ago

swansea

I buy frozen veg as fresh don’t really last very long and in the winter I’m going to have a whiskey every night and plenty of sex to keep myself warm.

By *inky_couple2020Couple  over a year ago

North West

"Apart from cooking everything in a slow cooker, wearing a bobble hat and turning all the lights off what can we do that will make a significant and meaningful difference but allow us some level of comfort?"

Move to the equator?

Forum Mod

East Sussex

Move to the equator?"

Excellent idea! Where do I sign?

By *AFKA HovisMan  over a year ago

Sindon Swingdon Swindon

Move to the equator?

"

air con isn't cheap either.

North West

Move to the equator?

"

I believe you can obtain fairly low cost housing in equatorial parts of the world. Availability of water may be iffy, but beggars can't be choosers

Manchester (she/her)

"I do think a lot of people will realise how much money they're spending that they don't need to. Butt I have yet to see a set of suggestions that will allow most of us to maintain anywhere near a warm house this year by saving on gym membership and eating soup unfortunately I don’t think you can save in regards to heating you’re home depending on how well insulated or how efficient you’re boiler is it’s hard it probably comes down to being sensible I was always told to keep the boiler running all day on a low setting

I call this sorcery "being cold". my friend has a flat and I’m sure her heating and the other flats is provided by steam and it heats all the flats in the block via a big boiler house probably a good idea when they built them in the 1970s "

Mine is circa 2000. Electric storage heaters.

Last winter worked out that turning *only* the hall heater on, on minimum, makes showers warm enough that they're not physically painful, and my clothes dry on the airer.

Start knitting

Forum Mod

East Sussex

Move to the equator?

air con isn't cheap either. "

Yeah but I wouldn't have to wear a bobble hat

Forum Mod

East Sussex

Move to the equator?

I believe you can obtain fairly low cost housing in equatorial parts of the world. Availability of water may be iffy, but beggars can't be choosers "

Darn there's always a fly in the ointment

Manchester (she/her)

Tbh I've also bought a hand crank LED torch and USB charger. Because Boris says there definitely won't be blackouts. (Some of my rooms don't have windows)

East London

"buying a tent and a sleeping bag is my genius idea. A bit of indoor camping is always fun."

I'm seriously thinking of buy a one person sleeping bag to lay in on my sofa.

The dogs can keep the blanket.

North West

Move to the equator?

I believe you can obtain fairly low cost housing in equatorial parts of the world. Availability of water may be iffy, but beggars can't be choosers

Darn there's always a fly in the ointment "

Take a suitcase full of Evian

East London

"Start knitting "

I knit.

Would you like a willy warmer or tea cosy?

Forum Mod

East Sussex

"buying a tent and a sleeping bag is my genius idea. A bit of indoor camping is always fun.

The dogs can keep the blanket. "

That's a good idea. We're planning on going to bed early and watching telly. We're also going to live mostly in one room.

By *ea wangMan  over a year ago

scunthorpe

Layer up and fuck fully clothed lol

"Start knitting

I knit.

Would you like a willy warmer or tea cosy?"

First one sounds ideal.

By * kiss like morphineMan  over a year ago

The gravelly bit next to the shed

Connect my wrist to the mains and power wank for Britain.

My eyesight will be shot but should get nice Luke warm brew out of it.

By *ea wangMan  over a year ago

scunthorpe

"Start knitting

I knit.

Would you like a willy warmer or tea cosy?"

wouldn't a willy warmer need to measured for size and fit x

I’m fine as have plenty of candles have real fire and wood burners also have a woodfired oven etc

By *ryandseeMan  over a year ago

Yorkshire

Those working from home, pensioners and those that stay mainly at home for health or mobility issues will be hit harder. A minimum of an extra 8 to 10 hours of heating on certain days can prove very costly. I bet some people who liked working from home but don't have to, will be asking their employers to let them work back in the office.

Manchester (she/her)

"Connect my wrist to the mains and power wank for Britain.

My eyesight will be shot but should get nice Luke warm brew out of it."

I've been trying to find a USB kettle or water heater, but apparently this is not all that possible. (In the event of blackouts that definitely aren't going to happen, a cup of tea or hot water bottle might help. Lol)

Manchester (she/her)

"Those working from home, pensioners and those that stay mainly at home for health or mobility issues will be hit harder. A minimum of an extra 8 to 10 hours of heating on certain days can prove very costly. I bet some people who liked working from home but don't have to, will be asking their employers to let them work back in the office. "

I'll take freezing my tits off over ever working in an office again.

North West

"buying a tent and a sleeping bag is my genius idea. A bit of indoor camping is always fun.

That's a good idea. We're planning on going to bed early and watching telly. We're also going to live mostly in one room. "

When our boiler died in that mega freezing -15°C winter of 2010/11, we bought a double sleeping bag and all three of us piled in, plus jumpers etc. We survived, but it was pretty grim!

North West

"Those working from home, pensioners and those that stay mainly at home for health or mobility issues will be hit harder. A minimum of an extra 8 to 10 hours of heating on certain days can prove very costly. I bet some people who liked working from home but don't have to, will be asking their employers to let them work back in the office. "

I WFH with blankets round my legs, sat in a sleeping bag or even sat in bed, unless I'm needing to put my camera on. Heating doesn't go up any higher than if the house was empty. I shut all the doors into the room I'm working in and just make do.

Manchester (she/her)

"Those working from home, pensioners and those that stay mainly at home for health or mobility issues will be hit harder. A minimum of an extra 8 to 10 hours of heating on certain days can prove very costly. I bet some people who liked working from home but don't have to, will be asking their employers to let them work back in the office.

I WFH with blankets round my legs, sat in a sleeping bag or even sat in bed, unless I'm needing to put my camera on. Heating doesn't go up any higher than if the house was empty. I shut all the doors into the room I'm working in and just make do. "

Yeah, last winter I found my desktop to be adequate heating for my office with the door closed. (I think a realtor might call it a double bedroom - it'd fit a double bed and nothing else. It's also got more external walls than any other room in my house)

North West

"Those working from home, pensioners and those that stay mainly at home for health or mobility issues will be hit harder. A minimum of an extra 8 to 10 hours of heating on certain days can prove very costly. I bet some people who liked working from home but don't have to, will be asking their employers to let them work back in the office.

I WFH with blankets round my legs, sat in a sleeping bag or even sat in bed, unless I'm needing to put my camera on. Heating doesn't go up any higher than if the house was empty. I shut all the doors into the room I'm working in and just make do.

Yeah, last winter I found my desktop to be adequate heating for my office with the door closed. (I think a realtor might call it a double bedroom - it'd fit a double bed and nothing else. It's also got more external walls than any other room in my house)"

I WFH in the living room, mainly because it's most practical but it's also the warmest downstairs room. I think I'm going to start using a Thermos rather than boiling the kettle because I do put it on quite a bit. I'll probably also just have cold lunches, no fish finger butties or reheated pasta.

Forum Mod

East Sussex

That's a good idea. We're planning on going to bed early and watching telly. We're also going to live mostly in one room.

When our boiler died in that mega freezing -15°C winter of 2010/11, we bought a double sleeping bag and all three of us piled in, plus jumpers etc. We survived, but it was pretty grim!"

I bet it was. I'm not seeing much understanding of the reality a lot of us will be facing.

We honestly thought the conditions we experienced as children wouldn't be repeated in our lifetime at least but here we are

Manchester (she/her)

Check charity shops - including eBay charity shops - for blankets and throws, if you need them. A few months ago I got a superking pure merino wool blanket from the British Heart Foundation for less than £20 including delivery - in my favourite colour to boot. Used but near perfect condition.

Yorkshire

Yeah, last winter I found my desktop to be adequate heating for my office with the door closed. (I think a realtor might call it a double bedroom - it'd fit a double bed and nothing else. It's also got more external walls than any other room in my house)"

Do you mean your desktop computer? Wow, I would not have thought it would be producing adequate heating. I have to try it

By *icketysplitsWoman  over a year ago

Way over Yonder, that's where I'm bound

"Basically people live like Scrooge and be happy about it. "

That's what I am looking at. It just makes me want to go out and buy a treat now on the basis that it will be harder later and denying myself now isn't going to help that much.

I have been looking at heated throws (and the poncho version) and not putting on the heating at all (anyone who has been here in winter knows I don't put it on much anyway). I've been working for over 40 years. It's a ridiculous position to be in.

Manchester (she/her)

Yeah, last winter I found my desktop to be adequate heating for my office with the door closed. (I think a realtor might call it a double bedroom - it'd fit a double bed and nothing else. It's also got more external walls than any other room in my house)

I WFH in the living room, mainly because it's most practical but it's also the warmest downstairs room. I think I'm going to start using a Thermos rather than boiling the kettle because I do put it on quite a bit. I'll probably also just have cold lunches, no fish finger butties or reheated pasta. "

Absolutely. I know I'm fortunate to have a dedicated room.

Thermos is a good idea, and I'll probably do the same.

Manchester (she/her)

When our boiler died in that mega freezing -15°C winter of 2010/11, we bought a double sleeping bag and all three of us piled in, plus jumpers etc. We survived, but it was pretty grim!

I bet it was. I'm not seeing much understanding of the reality a lot of us will be facing.

We honestly thought the conditions we experienced as children wouldn't be repeated in our lifetime at least but here we are "

I probably don't understand properly due to my relative youth and... Family knowledge of "cold winters" that are like British summers

I'm trying to prepare as best I can, and hope it's overkill.

Forum Mod

East Sussex

"Basically people live like Scrooge and be happy about it.

That's what I am looking at. It just makes me want to go out and buy a treat now on the basis that it will be harder later and denying myself now isn't going to help that much.

I have been looking at heated throws (and the poncho version) and not putting on the heating at all (anyone who has been here in winter knows I don't put it on much anyway). I've been working for over 40 years. It's a ridiculous position to be in.

"

It is.

North West

We honestly thought the conditions we experienced as children wouldn't be repeated in our lifetime at least but here we are "

I was brought up a lot of the time by my Grandparents. The house didn't have proper central heating and mainly open fires so it was jolly cold in the winter. I've experienced that quite extensively as a child but I'd prefer to be warmer, definitely. I might start showering at work or the gym because a) they have proper disabled access showers and b) it's one less electric shower episode in a house of 4 adults and 1 child and only the one shower (no bath).

Forum Mod

East Sussex

We honestly thought the conditions we experienced as children wouldn't be repeated in our lifetime at least but here we are

I probably don't understand properly due to my relative youth and... Family knowledge of "cold winters" that are like British summers

I'm trying to prepare as best I can, and hope it's overkill."

I don't think it's possible to understand the long term effects of living in a cold house, physically or mentally. I reckon you're well prepared both practically and in attitude. However if we get a really hard winter we're all fucked and that isn't a word I use often

By *ophieslutTV/TS  over a year ago

Central

If you use a kettle, just add enough water for your drink egc, don't heat a fuller kettle.

Immediately you've made your drink, refill it to the same level, so the heat in the kettle warms the water a little, instead of radiating out into the room. Next time's boiling should be slightly cheaper. You could put a tea cosy on the kettle, I suppose, too

Manchester (she/her)

Do you mean your desktop computer? Wow, I would not have thought it would be producing adequate heating. I have to try it "

Yes, I work on a desktop computer. Double bedroom (about 3m by 2m - I'm not measuring the diagonal bit for you) with 1.5 external walls and a small window. With the door fully closed, even when I had a broken window during a snowstorm last year (in a different room), it was warm enough to not have to layer myself ridiculously.

Yorkshire

Do you mean your desktop computer? Wow, I would not have thought it would be producing adequate heating. I have to try it

Yes, I work on a desktop computer. Double bedroom (about 3m by 2m - I'm not measuring the diagonal bit for you) with 1.5 external walls and a small window. With the door fully closed, even when I had a broken window during a snowstorm last year (in a different room), it was warm enough to not have to layer myself ridiculously. "

thanks

By *trideMan  over a year ago

Plymouth

All of my power supply as electric – no gas, no oil, no stoves, etc.

My ANNUAL power cost is less than £300. That’s an average of less than £6 per week. Give me your email address and I’ll send you a copy of my latest bill.

I have a fan heater in the loo, an electric blanket, and a water heater which is switched on 30 minutes before I have a shower, and off after it. They are all I need to keep ME warm. No way do I heat walls!

I use a kettle once a day for a flask of tea, and heat two meals each day in a microwave oven.

I never use a fridge. All of my food is tinned or dried. I haven’t eaten ANY portions of fresh fruit or vegetables for probably more than 30 years. But I do spend quite a lot on food supplement pills.

I’m retired and live in one room – like a bed-sitter. The walls, ceiling and door are lined with sheets of 10 cm polystyrene foam, with an extra layer over the window – the double glazing only REDUCES heat loss, it doesn’t stop it by a very long way. The temperature in this room never drops below 15C (60F). In the olden days, the Office, Shops and Railway Premises Act stipulated a minimum temperature of 64F.

My only extravagances are a 6 foot fluorescent tube over my desk, and a hot living room on Christmas day.

It’s all about what you’re used to!