FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Mental health

Mental health

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

Should fab replace the virus section with a mental health section?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

I don’t think they should replace that section. Perhaps create a new one. But leave the virus section for all the people that want to talk about the virus, so it doesn’t spill over to the lounge

By *alandNitaCouple  over a year ago

Scunthorpe

"Should fab replace the virus section with a mental health section? "

No...

You could request a mental health or general health section.

Having this section generally keeps most of the nutjob conspiracy theorists in one place

By *naswingdressWoman  over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

No.

Should we replace the biker section with a surfing section? Seems as connected.

By *ora the explorerWoman  over a year ago

Paradise, Herts

"I don’t think they should replace that section. Perhaps create a new one. But leave the virus section for all the people that want to talk about the virus, so it doesn’t spill over to the lounge "

Agree with this. Perhaps a new section but not to replace the virus one.

"I don’t think they should replace that section. Perhaps create a new one. But leave the virus section for all the people that want to talk about the virus, so it doesn’t spill over to the lounge

Agree with this. Perhaps a new section but not to replace the virus one. "

The virus section is dying...nothing going on there,replace it with a section for well being and mental health posts

By *ormorantMan  over a year ago

Lincolnshire

I’m happy with it here. The more support on offer the better; wouldn’t like to marginalise those who need a hug every now and then.

By *anBerksMan  over a year ago

Berkshire

"I don’t think they should replace that section. Perhaps create a new one. But leave the virus section for all the people that want to talk about the virus, so it doesn’t spill over to the lounge "

Nah, bin it and let it spill onto here. The meltdown argumentative threads are always the most entertaining ones!

Paradise, Herts

"I don’t think they should replace that section. Perhaps create a new one. But leave the virus section for all the people that want to talk about the virus, so it doesn’t spill over to the lounge

Agree with this. Perhaps a new section but not to replace the virus one.

The virus section is dying...nothing going on there,replace it with a section for well being and mental health posts"

Is it? To be honest I don’t venture from the lounge. Think I looked in there once a couple years ago and that was enough

By *ohn KanakaMan  over a year ago

Not all that North of North London

I dint think there should be a spereate mental health section.

I'm not sure putting all the threads together in their own sub sectio fits with reducing the stigma around mental health abd encouraging people to be more open.

I think it's quite powerful and positive and definitely inclusive to see mental health threads popping up amongst the randomness of the lounge

"I’m happy with it here. The more support on offer the better; wouldn’t like to marginalise those who need a hug every now and then."

But surely a dedicated section for help or advice? Thats better isn't?

By *naswingdressWoman  over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

Nah, bin it and let it spill onto here. The meltdown argumentative threads are always the most entertaining ones! "

By *ormorantMan  over a year ago

Lincolnshire

"I’m happy with it here. The more support on offer the better; wouldn’t like to marginalise those who need a hug every now and then.

But surely a dedicated section for help or advice? Thats better isn't?"

I wouldn’t argue against it, but I would never visit it and I guess many wouldn’t so more support would be available here… just my thoughts though..

By *ister CMan  over a year ago

liverpool

"Should fab replace the virus section with a mental health section? "

Absolutely... its fucking terrifying in here. Seriously.

More red flags than a communist party rally...

Coupled with the balance of a heavily intoxicated cow in high heels...

By *olly_chromaticTV/TS  over a year ago

Stockport

"Should fab replace the virus section with a mental health section?

Coupled with the balance of a heavily intoxicated cow in high heels... "

If you find it frightening maybe you should stay outside the door...

By *arcosaMan  over a year ago

London

Having a section offering mental health "advice" is potentially quite dangerous. Anyone needing help for a mental health problem should go and see their doctor.

By *ohn KanakaMan  over a year ago

Not all that North of North London

"I’m happy with it here. The more support on offer the better; wouldn’t like to marginalise those who need a hug every now and then.

But surely a dedicated section for help or advice? Thats better isn't?"

No because mental health shouldn't be shoved in to a corner.

By *ister CMan  over a year ago

liverpool

"Should fab replace the virus section with a mental health section?

Coupled with the balance of a heavily intoxicated cow in high heels...

If you find it frightening maybe you should stay outside the door..."

And let the lunatics run the asylum no ta.

But your inclusive position is noted.

Sadly this isn't the place for it I don't think. It's hard to determine the people who genuinely need help and advice to those just using it as a way into peoples inboxes. I used to try to help people but it doesn't take long for the messages to become sexual. Anyone who needs actual help reach out to family, friends and your GP it's the best way to ensure you will get the right guidance.

Paradise, Herts

"Sadly this isn't the place for it I don't think. It's hard to determine the people who genuinely need help and advice to those just using it as a way into peoples inboxes. I used to try to help people but it doesn't take long for the messages to become sexual. Anyone who needs actual help reach out to family, friends and your GP it's the best way to ensure you will get the right guidance."

I agree. I remember the night I was up half the night with the suicidal man. Was worried sick about him. Other people helping out too with help phone numbers etc some near to him even offering to pop round to him. That turned sexual. Made me feel sick. Never again

"Sadly this isn't the place for it I don't think. It's hard to determine the people who genuinely need help and advice to those just using it as a way into peoples inboxes. I used to try to help people but it doesn't take long for the messages to become sexual. Anyone who needs actual help reach out to family, friends and your GP it's the best way to ensure you will get the right guidance."

this. There's an awful lot of 'experts' on this topic who try to provide advice and direction with no qualifications or understanding of professional boundaries albeit with good intentions.

Normalisation of discussing mental health is great but it could turn into a help line?

Paradise, Herts

But surely a dedicated section for help or advice? Thats better isn't?

No because mental health shouldn't be shoved in to a corner.

"

As much I agree with this. I believe there are plenty people on here with mental health issues/anxiety/depression etc who use fab as an escape from that. Yet they log on to the lounge for some light relief and are hit by a page of these kind of threads (recently I counted 6 on page one) what about those people and how it could affect them? Easy to say “scroll past” but I imagine it’s not that easy.

It’s a difficult one for sure.

By *ellinever70Woman  over a year ago

Ayrshire

The predators would know exactly where to go for the vulnerable prey

By *rHotNottsMan  over a year ago

Dubai & Nottingham

Probably not the best place to go for help if suffering from a mental illness , probably better in most cases to take a dopamine fast rather than constantly spiking it on here

It’s tricky. There is a drive for openness about mental health (or lack of it) but I think that ignores the fairly clear dichotomy in this broad subject.

There are those who need to talk things through, where forums like this can help (as long as people are supportive and “get it”). On the other hand, there are those who need to talk to a mental health professional and seeking advice online may actually detract from the real answer by throwing “I tried this” and “I googled that drug and it is awful” into the mix.

And, before I get shot down, there is a grey zone in the middle where people sort of need both.

Fab is not set up for this type of thing and, although I agree with the premise that mental health is a much bigger problem than COVID, I don’t think a forum here would help as intended.

Paradise, Herts

"It’s tricky. There is a drive for openness about mental health (or lack of it) but I think that ignores the fairly clear dichotomy in this broad subject.

There are those who need to talk things through, where forums like this can help (as long as people are supportive and “get it”). On the other hand, there are those who need to talk to a mental health professional and seeking advice online may actually detract from the real answer by throwing “I tried this” and “I googled that drug and it is awful” into the mix.

And, before I get shot down, there is a grey zone in the middle where people sort of need both.

Fab is not set up for this type of thing and, although I agree with the premise that mental health is a much bigger problem than COVID, I don’t think a forum here would help as intended. "

I got the impression the op meant to move all the threads from the lounge, therefore not really creating a new thing as such. I could be wrong.

By *rHotNottsMan  over a year ago

Dubai & Nottingham

"It’s tricky. There is a drive for openness about mental health (or lack of it) but I think that ignores the fairly clear dichotomy in this broad subject.

Fab is not set up for this type of thing and, although I agree with the premise that mental health is a much bigger problem than COVID, I don’t think a forum here would help as intended. "

I think what you’re describing is the difference between maintaining mental wellbeing and treating mental illness - very different things.

[Removed by poster at 27/08/22 13:18:17]

"The predators would know exactly where to go for the vulnerable prey "

» Add a new message to this topic