FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Open water swimming / triathlon

Open water swimming / triathlon

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *h12359 OP   Man  over a year ago

romford

Looking to do a triathlon but not a great swimmer. Who does open water swimming and what advice can you offer??

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

I found a very secluded spot in a river not far from where I live when I can practice.

So I would recommend you to do the same. So you could practise without anyone around. Found it during a bike ride

By *inister_SpinsterWoman  over a year ago

North West

Find a triathlon group and join them.

Get some lessons and practice with others. I found groups in my area helpful.

If you're really new to open water, learn how to keep yourself safe as well as learn to swim outdoors.

I found it a real interesting challenge. Good luck OP.

By *tefe-MartyCouple  over a year ago

Cambs

Start of by becoming more confident in a pool

Then join an open water swimming group.

It's totally different swimming outdoors to a pool. You can't see anything when you look down, no black lines to guide you ect.

You will feel more relaxed in a group who can help you to learn, and have fun

By *ralfanatic123Man  over a year ago

newton abbott

I’d echo the above. Get some coaching in a pool so that you’ve got a reasonable technique, endurance and confidence before you tackle the open water. It need not be expensive either. My local pool did an aqua fit type class which was run by a coach who gave loads of tips and methods as you did the drills.

By *rHotNottsMan  over a year ago

Dubai & Nottingham

Improve your strike in a pool by using a float between your legs and perfecting arms because most people tire out using too much legs.

I swim solo or with a friend for 3-4 hours across a huge lake and back but at first I wouldn’t dare. You have to get your confidence to the point it feels as safe as walking , learn to inflate the sides of your rib cage and breathing from the abdomen so you can stop & float without using any energy treading water. Some people like clubs but we swim naked and they won’t let us join

I also do 400-600m pool 2-3 times a week but it’s completely different experience

By *ohn KanakaMan  over a year ago

Not all that North of North London

We regularly work transition at local triathlons and to be honest a lot of them aren't great swimmers and happily admit thst.

But they have a lot of staff out on kayaks looking out for weaker swimmers and keeping them safe.

There's regular open water swimming at Victoria Dock (by the cable car) that us popular with novice triathletes.

The events at Dorney lakes (there's a few different organisers, I'd suggest Dorney Triathlon because it is a joint venture by 2 of the south east biggest grass roots promoters) are ideal for novices. It's the Olympic rowing lake so lovely to swim in, the bike is on closes roads and it's spectator friendly.

I'd avoid Blenheaim and London Triathlons, although they are huge events and perfect for novices Limelight promotions are increasingly alienating their customer

By *h12359 OP   Man  over a year ago

romford

Thank you all for your comments. I got back in the pool yesterday and have looked up two local ish open water locations that run introductions and lessons so I will see how I get on.

Iron man next year

» Add a new message to this topic