FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Runners Rant

Runners Rant

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *ice But Very Naughty OP   Couple  over a year ago

Swansea

So, when you see pedestrians on a narrow lane as you whizz along in your 1500kg metal box it really is no effort to slow to a safe speed as you pass, having a large lump of steel pass at speed is unnerving to say the least, not to mention deadly if you misjudge its size - and keys be honest, at least half of the drivers out there appear to me fucking useless at that.

Her ladyship has had her hand smacked by a wing mirror 8n this situation so I refuse to allow it. I will stay wide until the driver slows to a safe speed. Today I had a mix of drivers, a couple slowed and waited till I could pull onto a gateway, one didn't slow until they realised I wasn't going to move and had to brake sharply.

The last driver though did something I've never experienced before and hope never to again. On an extra narrow section there were two work vans parked leaving enough room fir a car but not a car and pedestrian. I was already level with the first van when a car appeared around the bend shortly ahead, instead of the driver slowing they continued directly toward me. As it clearly wasn't safe for them to squeeze through I moved out to signal that they would need to wait - just as they would if I were able oncoming vehicle or horse rider. At this point the driver put their foot down, the sound of the engine changed and they literally drove at me forcing me to jump into the hedge and smacking their wing mirror in.

The car then pulled up and a mouthful of abuse was shouted as I jogged back towards them. I must admit screaming at me not to threaten them when I told them if they did that to me again I'd haul them out the car and tear them a new arsehole was slightly hypocritical given they'd just aimed a vehicle at me but hey ho.

So please, pedestrians, cyclist, horseriders are not street furniture. You may be happy to whizz past a lamppost but these are people - it's fucking scary. Plus, unlike street furniture, people are moving, they can slip or stumble or step around a bramble that you've not noticed. That 6 inches you think you have clear may not be there and a car doing 30mph does a lot of damage.

Mr

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *ohn KanakaMan  over a year ago

Not all that North of North London

I've never had an experience that bad running but have had very similar on my bike. It amazes me how motorists willing to risk my life to save a few seconds will then stop to start a fight with me. That level of aggression and impatience is a scary combination

By *ust RachelTV/TS  over a year ago

Horsham

As a cyclist we get used to it.

Personally, I think it is about time people started doing something about these idiots.

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

"I've never had an experience that bad running but have had very similar on my bike. It amazes me how motorists willing to risk my life to save a few seconds will then stop to start a fight with me. That level of aggression and impatience is a scary combination"

The last motorist that did that to us, got the shock of his life. A mate pulled a multitool knife on him, that made the idiot get back in his car and drive off.

Swansea

"I've never had an experience that bad running but have had very similar on my bike. It amazes me how motorists willing to risk my life to save a few seconds will then stop to start a fight with me. That level of aggression and impatience is a scary combination"

Exactly this. Have enough time to slow afterwards to shout abuse, but not to slow beforehand avoid the incident.

I have come to expect aggression on the bike but I've never experienced someone deliberately driving head on at me before running or cycling. I guess on the bike it's more often a punishment pass from behind so you see it less.

Mr

"I've never had an experience that bad running but have had very similar on my bike. It amazes me how motorists willing to risk my life to save a few seconds will then stop to start a fight with me. That level of aggression and impatience is a scary combination

The last motorist that did that to us, got the shock of his life. A mate pulled a multitool knife on him, that made the idiot get back in his car and drive off."

Oops . Nice way to get arrested for threatening behaviour

Swansea

[Removed by poster at 10/08/22 21:03:14]

Wtf? That’s horrendous .

Mind you, I got chased down the road on a horse, because a lorry just wouldn’t stop, he panicked, and we were cantering along the road.

I got the last laugh because I rang the owner of the companies, and his daughter ride horses too.

Swansea

I was so tempted to take the keys out of the ignition and launch them over the hedge or kick every panel on the car if I'm honest but given the rage I was getting back decided that it would make no difference

Mr

"So, when you see pedestrians on a narrow lane as you whizz along in your 1500kg metal box it really is no effort to slow to a safe speed as you pass, having a large lump of steel pass at speed is unnerving to say the least, not to mention deadly if you misjudge its size - and keys be honest, at least half of the drivers out there appear to me fucking useless at that.

Her ladyship has had her hand smacked by a wing mirror 8n this situation so I refuse to allow it. I will stay wide until the driver slows to a safe speed. Today I had a mix of drivers, a couple slowed and waited till I could pull onto a gateway, one didn't slow until they realised I wasn't going to move and had to brake sharply.

The last driver though did something I've never experienced before and hope never to again. On an extra narrow section there were two work vans parked leaving enough room fir a car but not a car and pedestrian. I was already level with the first van when a car appeared around the bend shortly ahead, instead of the driver slowing they continued directly toward me. As it clearly wasn't safe for them to squeeze through I moved out to signal that they would need to wait - just as they would if I were able oncoming vehicle or horse rider. At this point the driver put their foot down, the sound of the engine changed and they literally drove at me forcing me to jump into the hedge and smacking their wing mirror in.

The car then pulled up and a mouthful of abuse was shouted as I jogged back towards them. I must admit screaming at me not to threaten them when I told them if they did that to me again I'd haul them out the car and tear them a new arsehole was slightly hypocritical given they'd just aimed a vehicle at me but hey ho.

So please, pedestrians, cyclist, horseriders are not street furniture. You may be happy to whizz past a lamppost but these are people - it's fucking scary. Plus, unlike street furniture, people are moving, they can slip or stumble or step around a bramble that you've not noticed. That 6 inches you think you have clear may not be there and a car doing 30mph does a lot of damage.

Mr"

Were you jogging on the road?

"I've never had an experience that bad running but have had very similar on my bike. It amazes me how motorists willing to risk my life to save a few seconds will then stop to start a fight with me. That level of aggression and impatience is a scary combination

Exactly this. Have enough time to slow afterwards to shout abuse, but not to slow beforehand avoid the incident.

I have come to expect aggression on the bike but I've never experienced someone deliberately driving head on at me before running or cycling. I guess on the bike it's more often a punishment pass from behind so you see it less.

Mr"

I've had it a few times on my bike, usually commuting on suburban roads and passing a line of parked cars, it's ridiculous.

By *den-Valley-coupleCouple  over a year ago

Cumbria

To be fair I find cyclists less considerate than car drivers where I tend to run.

Cumbria

The last motorist that did that to us, got the shock of his life. A mate pulled a multitool knife on him, that made the idiot get back in his car and drive off."

A whole new level of stupid

By *inky_couple2020Couple  over a year ago

North West

Wheelchairing in the road is a new level of knicker soiling sometimes

I was about to post a motorway driving related rant this evening actually, having observed morons deciding they couldn't wait for literally 2min to get to a junction and using the hard shoulder instead. An ambulance needed to get by but was obstructed by said morons! Urgh

Swansea

"To be fair I find cyclists less considerate than car drivers where I tend to run.

"

Can't argue with your experience, though I'd suggest being inconsiderate is slightly less of an issue than using a lethal weapon to attempt to kill or maim someone.

Mr

Swansea

"Wheelchairing in the road is a new level of knicker soiling sometimes

I was about to post a motorway driving related rant this evening actually, having observed morons deciding they couldn't wait for literally 2min to get to a junction and using the hard shoulder instead. An ambulance needed to get by but was obstructed by said morons! Urgh "

I genuinely believe there is a significant lack of training for drivers on the UK.

Mr

I have had similar experiences cycling to and from London. Normally white vans thinking it’s funny to force me into the rear of a parked vehicle. There’s a lot of strange minded individuals out there. Be safe and dont tempt them into your safe world.

By *rg4Man  over a year ago

hunktown

Are runners supposed to be on the road ?

Cumbria

"To be fair I find cyclists less considerate than car drivers where I tend to run.

Can't argue with your experience, though I'd suggest being inconsiderate is slightly less of an issue than using a lethal weapon to attempt to kill or maim someone.

Mr"

maybe..

"Are runners supposed to be on the road ? "

If there's no footpath where else do we go?

hunktown

"Are runners supposed to be on the road ?

If there's no footpath where else do we go? "

Good point

Swansea

"Are runners supposed to be on the road ? "

Supposed? They're not supposed to be anywhere. There are some roads where they are not allowed ie motorways and roads with a round sign showing a pedestrian in a red circle. Anywhere else they have a much right to be there as a motorist and the only 'supposed' is that a motorist is supposed to not use their car as a weapon.

On a country lane like the one I was on pedestrians are supposed to walk such face oncoming traffic (except on the approach to a blind bend where it is safer and gives drivers more warning if they cross over).

I hope that answers your question. I also hope that you don't drive given you felt the need to ask it.

Mr

hunktown

No need to be so defensive it was just a question lol thought they were supposed to run on the pavement.

By *lex46TV/TS  over a year ago

Near Wells

I'm not criticising the Op but if I thought I was unsafe or a danger to myself while running or cycling I'd find somewhere safer to run etc.

I know that seems unfair but it's not worth getting injured or worse for

Swansea

"No need to be so defensive it was just a question lol thought they were supposed to run on the pavement. "

I'm not being defensive. I'm quite bloody offensive. If you don't know this you shouldn't be driving full stop. I'm also questioning the mentality of your response. Let's assume you are correct, runners are supposed to be on a pavement and are actually banned from roads without one. Do you believe that would that make the slightest bit of difference to the legality of deliberately driving a car at them?

Mr

"I'm not criticising the Op but if I thought I was unsafe or a danger to myself while running or cycling I'd find somewhere safer to run etc.

I know that seems unfair but it's not worth getting injured or worse for "

No don't be critical of the op he may rip you a new arse hole

By *emorefridaCouple  over a year ago

La la land

"I'm not criticising the Op but if I thought I was unsafe or a danger to myself while running or cycling I'd find somewhere safer to run etc.

Some of us live in rural areas and have to walk on roads as there are no pavements directly outside our houses. Seems like madness to have to drive to area with a pavement to take a walk or run

Swansea

It's a fair comment. If I go to the top of the road past our estate I have a choice of three directions. Two of them are roads without pavements. To create a loop away from the town means using one of them. It seems a bit pointless to live right on the edge of the countryside and only run through town. Besides, I refuse to be a victim and become too afraid to do the things I love

I think that's called victim blaming...

Swansea

No don't be critical of the op he may rip you a new arse hole "

No, it was a polite comment, not attempted murder. I react differently to the two.

Mr

Near Wells

Some of us live in rural areas and have to walk on roads as there are no pavements directly outside our houses. Seems like madness to have to drive to area with a pavement to take a walk or run "

I also live in a country village, on a narrow lane , no footpaths and on a hill.

The runner's and cyclists either struggle to get up the hill, so the drivers take more risks to get by or the cyclists bomb down the hill at about 40 mph and I'm surprised there hasn't been any incidents.

I'm not saying you're wrong but I just wouldn't put myself in danger. It doesn't matter who's in the wrong if it's you that's in a hospital bed.

No, it was a polite comment, not attempted murder. I react differently to the two.

Mr"

Really attempted murder.

I take it you have reported it to the police then

North West

Where are you supposed to go if there are no pavements or pavements are blocked? Where are mobility equipment users supposed to go if they cannot get on/off the pavements, i.e no dropped kerbs? I push in the road frequently, because otherwise I'd be able to go absolutely nowhere on this estate.

Near Wells

Where are you supposed to go if there are no pavements or pavements are blocked? Where are mobility equipment users supposed to go if they cannot get on/off the pavements, i.e no dropped kerbs? I push in the road frequently, because otherwise I'd be able to go absolutely nowhere on this estate. "

I wasn't talking about mobility users who obviously have to use those roads.

Runners and cyclists can choose to go somewhere safer if they want.

North West

Where are you supposed to go if there are no pavements or pavements are blocked? Where are mobility equipment users supposed to go if they cannot get on/off the pavements, i.e no dropped kerbs? I push in the road frequently, because otherwise I'd be able to go absolutely nowhere on this estate.

Runners and cyclists can choose to go somewhere safer if they want."

But what about the safety of mobility impaired people who have to go in the roads? We also get persecuted by twattish drivers who can't wait for two minutes (while I'm taking my daughter to school, she's 5....) It's absolutely no different if someone needs to use a wheelchair, walk, jog or skip in the road. Twats shouldn't try to run them over, period.

Also, please don't park on* pavements, people. Please and thank you

*I mean totally ON. Round here, people put all 4 wheels on the pavement and completely block them.

Runners and cyclists can choose to go somewhere safer if they want."

Or, and this is aa crazy idea, motorists could just try and not kill vulnerable road users?

Near Wells

But what about the safety of mobility impaired people who have to go in the roads? We also get persecuted by twattish drivers who can't wait for two minutes (while I'm taking my daughter to school, she's 5....) It's absolutely no different if someone needs to use a wheelchair, walk, jog or skip in the road. Twats shouldn't try to run them over, period.

*I mean totally ON. Round here, people put all 4 wheels on the pavement and completely block them."

Not sure how you want me to reply to that. There isn't a lot you can do. There have always been and always will be bad and inconsiderate driver's and they won't take a blind bit of notice what you say on a forum

North West

*I mean totally ON. Round here, people put all 4 wheels on the pavement and completely block them.

Not sure how you want me to reply to that. There isn't a lot you can do. There have always been and always will be bad and inconsiderate driver's and they won't take a blind bit of notice what you say on a forum "

I'm just confused at the very different attitude to two groups of vulnerable road user. People running in the road (where there's no pavement or blocked pavement) is just as valid as me pushing in it. I'm also pointing out that the type of person to try and drive a runner off the road is probably the same type who won't wait for a wheelchair to go past or cross or whatever. It's irrelevant as to the nature of the vulnerable road user.

And I made a statement about pavement blocking because it's a big issue for lots of people. If the pavement was available, I'd imagine people wouldn't walk/run/push in the road.

Swansea

Mr

Really attempted murder.

I take it you have reported it to the police then "

I would have if I'd not been so shaken I didn't take her number plate so beyond 'small white car' I had nothing to report.

What would you call deliberately driving a tonne of steel at a person? If I'd not jumped clear and had been hit what do you think the result would be? Again, I'm left hoping you don't drive. A car is a lethal weapon. People get killed when they're hit by one.

Perhaps this copy and paste will help, its from Oakwood solicitors.

"Clearly some road rage incidents are much more serious than others. In May 2017, a cyclist in Rochester was airlifted to safety with serious head injuries following a road rage incident with a motorcyclist and a woman in North London was sentenced for ramming a cyclist who had kicked her wing mirror. In April 2017, a motorcyclist was charged with the road rage murder of a 74-year-old"

If there's no footpath where else do we go? "

If there’s no footpath then you’re supposed to walk/run/jog against the traffic, not with it…

your mate pulled a multi tool knife on a driver & you call him an idiot?! I’d say the idiot was your “mate”

"I've had it a few times on my bike, usually commuting on suburban roads and passing a line of parked cars, it's ridiculous.

"

If you are passing parked cars on your side of the road, & there’s a car coming towards you, if there’s not enough room then you need to wait until it’s clear to allow the car have right of way, just like any driver would have to do the same. This is what pisses me off… cyclists want the same priority as drivers but they don’t want to play by the rules…. Red light…what red light? Parked cars on their side, still expect the car coming towards them is actually coming “at” them, even though that car has right of way!

I have nothing against cyclists so long as they don’t ride like fannies. This include joggers who don’t look where they’re going, if you have to get off the pavement for whatever reason at least look behind you so you don’t jump in front of a car. We can’t get the blame all of the time!

"I've had it a few times on my bike, usually commuting on suburban roads and passing a line of parked cars, it's ridiculous.

If you are passing parked cars on your side of the road, & there’s a car coming towards you, if there’s not enough room then you need to wait until it’s clear to allow the car have right of way, just like any driver would have to do the same. This is what pisses me off… cyclists want the same priority as drivers but they don’t want to play by the rules…. Red light…what red light? Parked cars on their side, still expect the car coming towards them is actually coming “at” them, even though that car has right of way!

I have nothing against cyclists so long as they don’t ride like fannies. This include joggers who don’t look where they’re going, if you have to get off the pavement for whatever reason at least look behind you so you don’t jump in front of a car. We can’t get the blame all of the time! "

I'm not convinced by "I have nothing against cyclists"

I have nothing against cyclists so long as they don’t ride like fannies. This include joggers who don’t look where they’re going, if you have to get off the pavement for whatever reason at least look behind you so you don’t jump in front of a car. We can’t get the blame all of the time!

I'm not convinced by "I have nothing against cyclists"

"

And? I don’t have anything against them, if they are going to ride on the roads then they need to abide by the rules of the road just like every other road user does. Oh and it would be helpful if they knew which lane to be in too

I've seen someone run into a large stream in a place called Rockbourne when a driver heading towards me at over the 30 limit chose to not slow down and make the runner jump off the road. I'll add that I stopped as I saw him coming at me and he had enough time and space to do likewise.

Swansea

I have nothing against cyclists so long as they don’t ride like fannies. This include joggers who don’t look where they’re going, if you have to get off the pavement for whatever reason at least look behind you so you don’t jump in front of a car. We can’t get the blame all of the time! "

Did anyone say anything about cyclists (or runners) being on the wrong side of the road or is that just your assumption? My experience as a cyclist is that I do abide by the rules of the road but don't get treated the same as any other road user.

However, we digress. This post isn't about the rights and wrongs of cyclists or runners. 0I was legally using the road, I was on the side to face oncoming traffic and I was already in the narrow section before the car came around the bend ahead. This post isn't even about bad drivers misjudging their speed or the size of their vehicle, nor a standoff where the driver refused to give way nor even a driver playing chicken. This is about a driver who faced with a pedestrian decided to drive deliberately at them and accelerate whilst doing so. The driver made no last second attempt to brake or swerve, they simply drove straight at me.

I think people are missing this point. I've had years of running and cycling covering many thousands of miles, I've had countless instances of car drivers deliberately swerving close to me, cutting me up, refusing to give way, playing chicken and a whole host of other cuntish behaviour. I've been knocked off my bike, I've been clipped by a car, I've been dragged down the road by a lorry. I am used to this kind of stuff, I often come home and rant about it to her ladyship, whinge about it in work - the usual moany old man stuff. This was very very different. It is the first time I've had someone deliberately try to ram me off the road like some kind of action film. All the discussions about whether or not I should have been there are irrelevant, nothing I had done, or even could have done, justifies a driver using their vehicle as a weapon in a way that had I not reacted fast enough would have seen me smashed into.

Mr

Did anyone say anything about cyclists (or runners) being on the wrong side of the road or is that just your assumption? My experience as a cyclist is that I do abide by the rules of the road but don't get treated the same as any other road user.

However, we digress. This post isn't about the rights and wrongs of cyclists or runners. 0I was legally using the road, I was on the side to face oncoming traffic and I was already in the narrow section before the car came around the bend ahead. This post isn't even about bad drivers misjudging their speed or the size of their vehicle, nor a standoff where the driver refused to give way nor even a driver playing chicken. This is about a driver who faced with a pedestrian decided to drive deliberately at them and accelerate whilst doing so. The driver made no last second attempt to brake or swerve, they simply drove straight at me.

I think people are missing this point. I've had years of running and cycling covering many thousands of miles, I've had countless instances of car drivers deliberately swerving close to me, cutting me up, refusing to give way, playing chicken and a whole host of other cuntish behaviour. I've been knocked off my bike, I've been clipped by a car, I've been dragged down the road by a lorry. I am used to this kind of stuff, I often come home and rant about it to her ladyship, whinge about it in work - the usual moany old man stuff. This was very very different. It is the first time I've had someone deliberately try to ram me off the road like some kind of action film. All the discussions about whether or not I should have been there are irrelevant, nothing I had done, or even could have done, justifies a driver using their vehicle as a weapon in a way that had I not reacted fast enough would have seen me smashed into.

Mr"

I don’t think any driver would deliberately drive “at” someone coming from the opposite direction, for them to do that they would need to cross the white line in the road.

It seems to me that if you’ve been in that kind of scenario a few times, perhaps you would be best off the road regardless who was at fault. I hope you can still walk at 80. Jogging/running is not good for the joints.

Swansea

Mr

I don’t think any driver would deliberately drive “at” someone coming from the opposite direction, for them to do that they would need to cross the white line in the road.

It seems to me that if you’ve been in that kind of scenario a few times, perhaps you would be best off the road regardless who was at fault. I hope you can still walk at 80. Jogging/running is not good for the joints. "

What? A pedestrian on a road without footpath should be facing the oncoming traffic - on the same side in other words so it skittish involve crossing the road. A narrow country lane has no white lines, that particular section is already narrow anyway, today there were two vans parked on the opposite side of the road leaving only just enough room for a car or small van to squeeze past.

I wouldn't believe a driver would deliberately drive at someone either. Strangely enough I found it quite shocking too - hence the post.

Thank you for your answer though, I'll bear that in mind if ever we're discussing something in the forums again, it's pointless telling you about my experiences because without even being there you know better than me what happened. Maybe you can explain the dull ache in my left wrist from hitting the cars wing mirror?

Perhaps you should try a bit of cycling and running to understand what it is actually like, the fact I have a list of bad experiences is not unusual at all. Talk to any road cyclist and they'll have a long list of similar bad experiences with other read users. In 2020 141 cyclists were killed, over 4000 seriously injured and nearly 12,000 recieved 'minor' injuries At the same time, insurance statistics show cyclists who drive make half the number of claims on their car insurance that the general public do. Being a vulnerable road user teaches you to be aware, to pay attention, to be alert. As a driver you see cyclists as nuisances that get in your way. As a cyclist I see car drivers as dangerously uncaring and potential accidents. I was 10 when I was dragged by a lorry. The driver tried to squeeze past under a railway arch where the road was narrow, he caught my handle bar in the bars between his wheels. I was 15 when I was knocked off, a car pulled out of a side street straight into me. I was lucky, I survived and learnt at a very young age to be on the look out for idiots. I've clocked up roughly a 1000 running miles each year for a while now, no idea how many miles I've cycled since being a teen but since 15 I've not been hit by another car until today. That's not just good luck.

Mr

Mr

It seems to me that if you’ve been in that kind of scenario a few times, perhaps you would be best off the road regardless who was at fault. I hope you can still walk at 80. Jogging/running is not good for the joints. "

Love the way you manage to blame the runner in several different ways as well as suggest he's lying about the incident.

That sounds such a scary experience, and what a pity you aren't able to report them as that's criminal behaviour! Many drivers behave as if they own the road and don't treat runners, cyclists or pedestrians with sufficient respect. (I drive but don't cycle or ride)

" Jogging/running is not good for the joints. "

Bollocks

But apart from that you enjoyed the jog?

Mr

You di know some roads, certainly a lot of the ones I ride on dont have a white line down the middle? Plenty are single carriageway...

" Perhaps you should try a bit of cycling and running to understand what it is actually like, the fact I have a list of bad experiences is not unusual at all."

Cycling - yep done that in the 80s but that was before drivers in “metal boxes” became road killers.

Jogging/ running do you suggest that to all disabled people?

However I have a lot of experience of riding horses on roads (they have right of way) which is way more scarier than riding a bike on the road. Horses put their trust in the rider and if they think for any second that it’s not going well they will overrule the riders decision. And typically it’s not the cars that frighten them but mute cyclists - most said excuse by cyclists when asked why they didn’t let me know they were behind me was “I don’t have a bell…” no, but you have a voice that god gave you!

As for your long list of injuries - you must still be in good health and recovered from your injuries if you are still jogging? You should try being crushed by a 500lb horse…. Between the horse and the ground from a height. Me, 30 years ago that was and still on hospital consultants lists…..

I’m sorry you were tapped by a car wing mirror, and hopefully your wrist is still in one piece. But I just like to point out that entire spiel that you raged on was actually someone else I was replying to who was CYCLING on a narrow road with parked cars on his side, which a car approaching on the opposite side, the car had right of way, not the cyclist, just as it would be if he were in a car not on a bike. The only time he’d have right of way is if he was already half way past the parked cars, then the car would have had to stop. It’s not all about you.

Cyclists say that car drivers hate cyclists, I thought it’s fair to say that cyclists hate car drivers even more even if they are a driver themselves

" Perhaps you should try a bit of cycling and running to understand what it is actually like, the fact I have a list of bad experiences is not unusual at all.

Cycling - yep done that in the 80s but that was before drivers in “metal boxes” became road killers.

Jogging/ running do you suggest that to all disabled people?

However I have a lot of experience of riding horses on roads (they have right of way) which is way more scarier than riding a bike on the road. Horses put their trust in the rider and if they think for any second that it’s not going well they will overrule the riders decision. And typically it’s not the cars that frighten them but mute cyclists - most said excuse by cyclists when asked why they didn’t let me know they were behind me was “I don’t have a bell…” no, but you have a voice that god gave you!

As for your long list of injuries - you must still be in good health and recovered from your injuries if you are still jogging? You should try being crushed by a 500lb horse…. Between the horse and the ground from a height. Me, 30 years ago that was and still on hospital consultants lists…..

I’m sorry you were tapped by a car wing mirror, and hopefully your wrist is still in one piece. But I just like to point out that entire spiel that you raged on was actually someone else I was replying to who was CYCLING on a narrow road with parked cars on his side, which a car approaching on the opposite side, the car had right of way, not the cyclist, just as it would be if he were in a car not on a bike. The only time he’d have right of way is if he was already half way past the parked cars, then the car would have had to stop. It’s not all about you.

Cyclists say that car drivers hate cyclists, I thought it’s fair to say that cyclists hate car drivers even more even if they are a driver themselves "

Yeah you're "I have nothing against cyclists unless they ride like fannies" comment really isn't ageing well

The most depressing thing about this thread is the inevitability it was always going to become victim blaming.

Motorists can and do kill vulnerable road users or leave them with life changing injuries, thousands of people a year. The solution is not telling vulnerable road users not ti be on the road.

And the example of mine, to expand on it, i was passing a line of parked cars, the length of the road probably 200 metres plus, I was following a car and an oncoming car had waited and let them pass and then drive straight at me they'd have had to wait another 5 seconds at most. Given that I was already passing the obstruction I'm pretty sure I had right of way...

By *ea monkeyMan  over a year ago

Manchester (he/him)

I’m sorry that you experienced this and as a runner, I can completely understand the frustration and anger that comes from these situations of personal endangerment.

In my mind the issue is that car users see the road as ‘theirs’. It’s designed for them, they feel that they should travel at the speed limit for the entirety of their journey and woe betide anything or anyone that impedes that. The fact that the road is for anyone to use and that car users have a legal duty of care to other road users is lost on the vast majority.

By *W ChapMan  over a year ago

Swindon

I'm a runner, cyclist and a driver. If it was me, I'd chose a more suitable run route. I know we all have the same rights, but I'd prefer to run where the risks of being hit, either accidently or maliciously are reduced.

North West

I've been out on horse back this morning, on single track, rural paths with the odd stretch on rural lanes (single track). We had one car insist on continuing to come towards us (a group of 8 people all on large horses, in single file), despite going past a passing place. The car then got sort of stuck as it tried to continue past the group. All people on horseback had to push their horses on past the driver's side of this car, with the wing mirror folded in and some of the riders had to move their leg to avoid striking the car.

The car could have stopped at the passing place and we'd have been gone and past them in about 2 minutes.

Why did they insist on continuing???

"I've been out on horse back this morning, on single track, rural paths with the odd stretch on rural lanes (single track). We had one car insist on continuing to come towards us (a group of 8 people all on large horses, in single file), despite going past a passing place. The car then got sort of stuck as it tried to continue past the group. All people on horseback had to push their horses on past the driver's side of this car, with the wing mirror folded in and some of the riders had to move their leg to avoid striking the car.

The car could have stopped at the passing place and we'd have been gone and past them in about 2 minutes.

Why did they insist on continuing??? "

Because drivers are knobs and have no idea how to drive when it’s horses they are taking on

North West

"I've been out on horse back this morning, on single track, rural paths with the odd stretch on rural lanes (single track). We had one car insist on continuing to come towards us (a group of 8 people all on large horses, in single file), despite going past a passing place. The car then got sort of stuck as it tried to continue past the group. All people on horseback had to push their horses on past the driver's side of this car, with the wing mirror folded in and some of the riders had to move their leg to avoid striking the car.

Why did they insist on continuing???

Because drivers are knobs and have no idea how to drive when it’s horses they are taking on "

It's only luck that all 8 of the horses are incredibly good on roads, none are bothered by cars or other vehicles (but one hates puddles!) Some of the younger riders found it quite anxiety inducing because they literally had to squish the horse down the side of the car.

Mr

You’re a horse rider, you must be aware of how badly people drive?

I’ve had people deliberately do dangerous things when I’ve been out on a horse….

By *ewrocksWoman  over a year ago

button moon

I got beeped at by a car behind me yesterday, because I slowed right down rather than try to squeeze past a cyclist, when there were cars parked on both sides of a narrow road. As soon as past the half doesn't cars, the cyclist tucked in and both my self and beeper went past. Added maybe 10 seconds to the journey. I was in a rush, but nowt worth risking lives for.

Mr

It seems to me that if you’ve been in that kind of scenario a few times, perhaps you would be best off the road regardless who was at fault. I hope you can still walk at 80. Jogging/running is not good for the joints.

You’re a horse rider, you must be aware of how badly people drive?

I’ve had people deliberately do dangerous things when I’ve been out on a horse…."

To be fair I have had the odd eejit but on the whole most drivers were pretty good. Especially the guy who was behind my pal and I (we were riding abreast) past the army barracks when the Gurkhas started practising bagpipes, cue one elderly horse sidestep into the other horse who then danced across the road, driver behind us slammed his breaks on and yelled through his window, “rider em cowboys” but he did keep his distance while we got them back under control. Not a good way to find out your 27 yr old horse doesn’t like bagpipes. Another time when I was working at a riding school, had out a hack of 25 beginners, in woods, where off road bikes also play…. Kudos to them, not only did they stop, but they turned the engines off, got off and removed their helmets.

I actually had more problems with screaming kids than I ever did with cars behaving badly

By *otMe66Man  over a year ago

Terra Firma

The car / person / cyclist / horse that arrives at the obstruction (parked cars) first should continue their journey. Being on the other side of the road does not give you right of way

Swansea

"I got beeped at by a car behind me yesterday, because I slowed right down rather than try to squeeze past a cyclist, when there were cars parked on both sides of a narrow road. As soon as past the half doesn't cars, the cyclist tucked in and both my self and beeper went past. Added maybe 10 seconds to the journey. I was in a rush, but nowt worth risking lives for."

Thank you.

In all honesty the majority of drivers are kind and considerate. Every run along that lane will have one or two drivers that pull to the side to let me past or wait patiently fir a wide enough stretch to pass without me climbing into the hedge. It is only a handful that are arseholes. Sadly as there are so many drivers on the roads even 5% bad ones means a good chance of having an issue.

As you say, a few seconds delay. The car behind wouldn't have beeped at you for queuing for several minutes behind a bunch of cars but for some reason pedestrians, cyclists and horses riders that actual cause far far less delays than other drivers are the ones that make people irate

As above, I didn't intend this post to be a dig at bad drivers. Maybe if I'd said the driver got out and ran at me with a knife that would have made the difference clearer. Yesterday wasn't bad driving, it wasn't careless or inconsiderate driving it was a deliberate attempt to hit me with a car.

Mr

By *ictoria_1976TV/TS  over a year ago

Newquay

See below for pedestrians/runners:

"If there is no footway or footpath, use the right-hand side of the road so you can see oncoming traffic. You should take extra care and:

be prepared to walk in single file, especially on narrow roads or in poor light

keep close to the side of the road"

Right hand side is the right hand side regardless of road markings /single lane / double lane - note the single file bit too.....

Swansea

"See below for pedestrians/runners:

"If there is no footway or footpath, use the right-hand side of the road so you can see oncoming traffic. You should take extra care and:

be prepared to walk in single file, especially on narrow roads or in poor light

keep close to the side of the road"

Right hand side is the right hand side regardless of road markings /single lane / double lane - note the single file bit too..... "

Thank you for clarifying that. I am sure I must have done something wrong and the correct response for a driver is to attempt to hit a pedestrian with their car. Rule number 23.a

By *icolerobbieCouple  over a year ago

walsall

The car / person / cyclist / horse that arrives at the obstruction (parked cars) first should continue their journey. Being on the other side of the road does not give you right of way "

Incorrect. Only if the parked car can be passed without causing the oncoming vehicle to change speed or direction.

If your side of the road is blocked you should give way.

With you 100%, as a runner and cyclist I’ve had a few close calls and on two occasions I’ve had a stand up fight with the driver (coming off best in both)

By *otMe66Man  over a year ago

Terra Firma

The car / person / cyclist / horse that arrives at the obstruction (parked cars) first should continue their journey. Being on the other side of the road does not give you right of way

Incorrect. Only if the parked car can be passed without causing the oncoming vehicle to change speed or direction.

If your side of the road is blocked you should give way."

That is what I said... If you arrive before, meaning you are not going to obstruct by continuing.

Also there is no right of way as the op said.

By *unner6969Man  over a year ago

Cambs

"So, when you see pedestrians on a narrow lane as you whizz along in your 1500kg metal box it really is no effort to slow to a safe speed as you pass, having a large lump of steel pass at speed is unnerving to say the least, not to mention deadly if you misjudge its size - and keys be honest, at least half of the drivers out there appear to me fucking useless at that.

Mr"

I run on trails and paths, avoiding roads wherever possible. Safer, more scenic and better for your balance, strength and joints. Certainly avoid busy roads where there aren’t any paths, or verges.

I’m with OP on this. The following scenarios arose from my run last night, and occur quite often:

1. Pedestrians walking 2-3 abreast and don’t move out of the way even when I’m gesturing to move to one side as I run towards them;

2. Cyclists on trail / joint cycle and walking paths not keeping to one side;

3. Car drivers pulling out when you’re already mid way across the junction before they arrive.

I blame Piers Morgan and his covid rant at runners.

By *dwalu2Couple  over a year ago

Bristol

Also runners, please stop running wearing massive closed back headphones. Switch to bone conduction or just leave them at home.

By *ust RachelTV/TS  over a year ago

Horsham

Supposed? They're not supposed to be anywhere. There are some roads where they are not allowed ie motorways and roads with a round sign showing a pedestrian in a red circle. Anywhere else they have a much right to be there as a motorist and the only 'supposed' is that a motorist is supposed to not use their car as a weapon.

On a country lane like the one I was on pedestrians are supposed to walk such face oncoming traffic (except on the approach to a blind bend where it is safer and gives drivers more warning if they cross over).

I hope that answers your question. I also hope that you don't drive given you felt the need to ask it.

Mr "

They don't pay road tax, so why should they use the roads

» Add a new message to this topic