FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Carpal Tunnel Syndrome

Carpal Tunnel Syndrome

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

I have carpal tunnel syndrome, my GP diagnosed it a month or so ago (without seeing me) but i had guessed that's what it was. He presribed naproxen and to ice my wrist and rest it !! It got worse so i was then told to buy a wrist support and try that for a few weeks, if it didn't improve then book with a GP that does steriod injections

After that it's surgery.

So far the (expensive) wrist support has done nothing, the pain, pins and needles etc are getting worse.

I wondered if anyone had experience of this and if so, what helped ?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

I found the specific stretches made a big difference. I’ll see if I can find them

"I found the specific stretches made a big difference. I’ll see if I can find them "

Thank you, I'll look xx

By *uckslut and MCouple  over a year ago

The Attic - Derby.

I had it when pregnant. Gave birth it went away. . Not that my advise will help. - sorry.

But bloody painful and annoying, hope you get it sorted.

By *rightonfranceMan  over a year ago

brighton - chalais france

I've just had an operation for it on my right wrist.. Nice scar, but can now close my hand properly..

By *ora the explorerWoman  over a year ago

Paradise, Herts

I have with both pregnancies. It’s come back again this year. So so painful especially at night. I wear the splint to bed. I’m away for a couple of months at the moment and it hasn’t bothered me hardly at all. I think it’s because I’ve not been on the laptop working so much and on my phone.

Hospital diagnosed carpal tunnel in both wrists last Monday so I await my date for two operations!!!!

Not looking forward to it at all.

T

By *ister CMan  over a year ago

liverpool

Is there a cause of this...

I.e. desk or mouse use... or something else...?

One of my staff has this and a very specific mouse (shark fin) and keyboard sorted it right out.

I wonder how it's caused in pregnancy, very strange

Hubby says mine is caused by using my phone more since I've retired so I've started holding it differently.

I should keep using the wrist support although i hate it

Paradise, Herts

"I wonder how it's caused in pregnancy, very strange

Hubby says mine is caused by using my phone more since I've retired so I've started holding it differently.

I should keep using the wrist support although i hate it "

I’m sure I found out but I can’t remember! I remember it being common in pregnancy though. In my case the phone definitely doesn’t help. When I’m not on it as much the pain isn’t so bad x

By *inky_couple2020Couple  over a year ago

North West

I should keep using the wrist support although i hate it "

In pregnancy, it's most often caused by fluid retention. You get compression of nerves in places where there's already not much room, like wrists and ankles (tarsal tunnel).

By *rMs.NeekCouple  over a year ago

Worcestershire

I should keep using the wrist support although i hate it

In pregnancy, it's most often caused by fluid retention. You get compression of nerves in places where there's already not much room, like wrists and ankles (tarsal tunnel). "

And also to do with the hormones you produce which allow body to stretch. Also allow movement in wrist which causes nerves to get inflamed

By *rMs.NeekCouple  over a year ago

Worcestershire

Ice can help as can reduce the inflammation along with specific stretches.

I believe that acupuncture can also help although I never used it

I swapped the hand i use for my computer mouse.. Maybe a bit extreme for some, but i avoided surgery and its fine now for non-mouse related activities

By *o scandalousWoman  over a year ago

Glasgow

I’ve had the operation in both my hands. The local anaesthetic jags stung like a bitch, but afterwards I’ve had no pins and needles, no waking up screaming in pain at night.

Thank you for all the replies

I understand the waking up at night screaming in pain, it feels like an electric shock at times and i'm so grumpy.

Paradise, Herts

"Thank you for all the replies

I understand the waking up at night screaming in pain, it feels like an electric shock at times and i'm so grumpy."

Does it ease if you get up and walk around. I’m forever walking around the house at night. It’s agony to lie down once it starts!

Glasgow

Make sure you have jars you can open easily after the operation. Douwe Egberts coffee jars are a nightmare. I needed to use a teaspoon to open that. Fastening bras etc is awkward, wiping your backside can be difficult…

"Thank you for all the replies

I understand the waking up at night screaming in pain, it feels like an electric shock at times and i'm so grumpy.

Does it ease if you get up and walk around. I’m forever walking around the house at night. It’s agony to lie down once it starts!"

It does ease if i sit up and move my wrist and fingers

"Make sure you have jars you can open easily after the operation. Douwe Egberts coffee jars are a nightmare. I needed to use a teaspoon to open that. Fastening bras etc is awkward, wiping your backside can be difficult… "

Oh no

Glasgow

"Make sure you have jars you can open easily after the operation. Douwe Egberts coffee jars are a nightmare. I needed to use a teaspoon to open that. Fastening bras etc is awkward, wiping your backside can be difficult…

Oh no "

Practise now while you have the chance!

"Make sure you have jars you can open easily after the operation. Douwe Egberts coffee jars are a nightmare. I needed to use a teaspoon to open that. Fastening bras etc is awkward, wiping your backside can be difficult…

Oh no

Practise now while you have the chance!"

Will do xx

The wife has had both left and right operated on a year apart, she'd wake throughout the night in agony.. both now fine.

I had both of mine done many years ago

I was worried at first as the symptoms matched other things??

And I kept dropping things

Painful

And annoying when trying to sleep

As it was bi lateral

I had them done at the same time

Just two weeks off

And light duty’s for a few months

N xxx

Ok now I’m conflicted because I’m not in pain at all and it’s just uncomfortable if anything so I’m thinking do I knock back on the operation??????

T

"Ok now I’m conflicted because I’m not in pain at all and it’s just uncomfortable if anything so I’m thinking do I knock back on the operation??????

T"

Tony, do have the operation mate, I had it done in april, was using it again preoperly within just a few weeks.. You are awake for the operation and it brings back the use of the hand properly.. Mine was from an accident where teh tunnel got crushed. Its a straight forward operation and an everyday one.. do it!

I had it when pregnant then went away. 5 years ago it came back and messed me up couldn't sleep at night so I had the op and best thing I did. Other hand isn't so bad so decided I'm going to leave that one for now.

"I have carpal tunnel syndrome, my GP diagnosed it a month or so ago (without seeing me) but i had guessed that's what it was. He presribed naproxen and to ice my wrist and rest it !! It got worse so i was then told to buy a wrist support and try that for a few weeks, if it didn't improve then book with a GP that does steriod injections

After that it's surgery.

So far the (expensive) wrist support has done nothing, the pain, pins and needles etc are getting worse.

I wondered if anyone had experience of this and if so, what helped ?"

I have experienced it too. It’s horrid and I didn’t find the wrist support helped at all.

Accupuncture and specific stretches helped me greatly. It’s not gone

I hope it gets better soon for you x

Thank you people.

The stretches/exercises are helping me get more movement without so much pain although it is still painfull etc.

The wrist support is just in the way, I've been looking after a pre schooler for several days and the support makes that impossible

Tonight i have wine as a painkiller

So now, 31 weeks after i started this thread, i'm finally on the list to have surgery within the next 2 months.

I asked for the steriod injection but then my GPs surgery took several months of saying they could or couldn't do the injections. I was very peed off with them. The injection helped at first but no longer. Eventually they have put me on the list for surgery, i had my pre op this week and now just wait, however the doc i saw said that the nerve may be to damaged after waiting so long since i first had it !!

By *otBunsHunWoman  over a year ago

Yorkshire

"I have carpal tunnel syndrome, my GP diagnosed it a month or so ago (without seeing me) but i had guessed that's what it was. He presribed naproxen and to ice my wrist and rest it !! It got worse so i was then told to buy a wrist support and try that for a few weeks, if it didn't improve then book with a GP that does steriod injections

After that it's surgery.

I've had carpel tunnel for almost 15 years, I have phases where it's not too bad and then phases were it gets really painful and affects lots of stuff, I've never opted for surgery as there's no way for me to be able to recover. I found the splints pretty useless. The injections are very helpful though, I get good long lasting relief from them .

By *anae21Woman  over a year ago

Nearer than you think

I had bilateral ops when I was 17. Being 'handless' for a couple of weeks was only possible because I still lived with my parents. Make sure you have help on standby!

After that it's surgery.

I wondered if anyone had experience of this and if so, what helped ? I've had carpel tunnel for almost 15 years, I have phases where it's not too bad and then phases were it gets really painful and affects lots of stuff, I've never opted for surgery as there's no way for me to be able to recover. I found the splints pretty useless. The injections are very helpful though, I get good long lasting relief from them . "

I simply can't have the pain any longer.

"I had bilateral ops when I was 17. Being 'handless' for a couple of weeks was only possible because I still lived with my parents. Make sure you have help on standby!"

Thank you, will do

I had it done last year, the use of you hand comes back quite quickly. in fact they tell you to start using it as soon as possible..

"I had it done last year, the use of you hand comes back quite quickly. in fact they tell you to start using it as soon as possible.. "

That's good news, thank you.

Did you watch them do it ?

OP.. I had the same sort of problem for years.. it turned out to be osteoarthritis of which I’m fucked top to bottom with it..

I can honestly say I feel your pain coz since have the wrist sorted I’ve also had both hips & shoulders replaced because of it..

I really do wish u the best..

"OP.. I had the same sort of problem for years.. it turned out to be osteoarthritis of which I’m fucked top to bottom with it..

I can honestly say I feel your pain coz since have the wrist sorted I’ve also had both hips & shoulders replaced because of it..

I really do wish u the best.."

Thank you.

I also have osteoarthritis in both hands, starting to affect most of my fingers, knees (had 2 replacements) it's not much fun.

I had it and had surgery on 1 hand much better now but decided not to have other hand done now have Dupuytren disease ...bummer ...

After that it's surgery.

I had nerve conduction tests last year which diagnosed carpal tunnel in both hands, I finally had the steroid injections 2 weeks ago then have to have another injection in April, if it hasn’t worked then I have to have the release surgery, the wrist support didn’t help me

I have the date for my surgery now

Has anyone watched while they did the op ?

You're awake, but they put s cover over your arm and side so you can't see.. annoying as I really wanted to see what they were doing too.. was hoping to get a view like something out of terminator but no, just a blue surgical sheet

"You're awake, but they put s cover over your arm and side so you can't see.. annoying as I really wanted to see what they were doing too.. was hoping to get a view like something out of terminator but no, just a blue surgical sheet "

I actually watched mine

I have it in my right hand, the doctor told me when it hurts to position my hand like I’m holding a tennis ball. It goes away straight away

By *wingin CatMan  over a year ago

London

A friend of mine had keyhole surgery for Carpal Tunnel Syndrome on her wrist some years ago, and hasn't suffered from it since.

By *orksguy1965Man  over a year ago

Howden

I have it too, it's so annoying when fingers lock up and painful, I'm waiting for steroid injections but some people say they don't work and there very painful too!

"You're awake, but they put s cover over your arm and side so you can't see.. annoying as I really wanted to see what they were doing too.. was hoping to get a view like something out of terminator but no, just a blue surgical sheet

I actually watched mine "

What was it like ? I'm squemish but obviously seeing inside my own arm might be strange

"I have it too, it's so annoying when fingers lock up and painful, I'm waiting for steroid injections but some people say they don't work and there very painful too!"

I've steriod injection, it wasn't as painful as carpel tunnel is. However it didnt cure it

By *rjamesMan  over a year ago

Sheffield

Was it caused by repetitive strain? I've known a few who have had it, including myself. It was improved without surgery by resting, gentle stretching and avoiding the activities that causes it. The splints are only useful for preventing you from reaggravating the strain, but your hands still need to move otherwise they will seize up in pain.

By *he love catsCouple  over a year ago

South Wales

A few people I have known over the years have had this painful problem, funnily enough they had worked one time or another on checkouts at supermarkets, if this is the case there could be a claim there somewhere.

"Was it caused by repetitive strain? I've known a few who have had it, including myself. It was improved without surgery by resting, gentle stretching and avoiding the activities that causes it. The splints are only useful for preventing you from reaggravating the strain, but your hands still need to move otherwise they will seize up in pain."

I don't know what it's caused by.

I've done all the exercises, stretching, painkillers, supports and injections that i've been told to do. Only surgery left now. Sadly the surgeon said it might not work because i've had it so long due to my GP moving to slow with the treatments

"A few people I have known over the years have had this painful problem, funnily enough they had worked one time or another on checkouts at supermarkets, if this is the case there could be a claim there somewhere."

My other half said people that use a mouse often get it too.

By *cottish guy 555Man  over a year ago

London

I used the wrist supports for a while when sleeping. That really helped

By *ldbutrandyMan  over a year ago

West Midlands

I think repetitive strain is mainly the cause. But not in every case.

I started to suffer with it after using pliers at work. Hour after hour.

It got better when I stopped doing that job.

"I used the wrist supports for a while when sleeping. That really helped "

The wrist support didn't help me, but cost a bloody fortune !

"I think repetitive strain is mainly the cause. But not in every case.

It got better when I stopped doing that job. "

I'm retired now, thought that would help lol

By *ldbutrandyMan  over a year ago

West Midlands

"I think repetitive strain is mainly the cause. But not in every case.

It got better when I stopped doing that job.

I'm retired now, thought that would help lol"

a change of job doesn't mean retirement, does it ?

By *arkandlovelyWoman  over a year ago

South Derbyshire

I had it when I was pregnant and got rid of it by giving birth but I wouldn't recommend it really.

I'm having surgery today, can't wait, i tried everything but longterm i have to have surgery.

By *cottish guy 555Man  over a year ago

London

"I'm having surgery today, can't wait, i tried everything but longterm i have to have surgery. "

Best of luck. I hope that it eases your suffering

Paradise, Herts

"I'm having surgery today, can't wait, i tried everything but longterm i have to have surgery. "

Good luck lovely. I think I’m going to have to go down this route soon x

By *estarossa.Woman  over a year ago

Flagrante

My mum had this surgery and it grestly improved, after. Hope it goes well xx

I had it a year ago and it's made my hand much better.... the op was quick too and you're using your hand very soon afterwards

Thank you kind people, it went well, i was suprised that i'd have a big dressing and bandage on for 14 days ! I can't drive for 14 days !! Although it's good that i can't do any housework, cooking, ironing etc for several months ... i told hubby that anyway

By *eah BabyCouple  over a year ago

Cheshire, Windermere ,Cumbria

My friend suffered this with both hands while pregnant, so they did the operation under local anaesthetic, 20+ years ago and no problems since.

"My friend suffered this with both hands while pregnant, so they did the operation under local anaesthetic, 20+ years ago and no problems since."

"I'm having surgery today, can't wait, i tried everything but longterm i have to have surgery.

Good luck lovely. I think I’m going to have to go down this route soon x"

Nora if i was you i'd ask the GP to refer you for it as soon as it's needed, i tried all the other things and wasted about a year of my life doing that xx

By *ust RachelTV/TS  over a year ago

Horsham

I had it short term after long rides on the motorbike, after a week resting it recovered.

By *eah BabyCouple  over a year ago

Cheshire, Windermere ,Cumbria

"My friend suffered this with both hands while pregnant, so they did the operation under local anaesthetic, 20+ years ago and no problems since.

"

Wishing you a speedy recovery

Glasgow

"I have the date for my surgery now

Has anyone watched while they did the op ?"

I saw it half way through. Was able to wiggle my fingers and see it all moving!

Glasgow

Hope you’re coping well.

By *anforkinkywomenMan  over a year ago

Barwell

After that it's surgery.

Look on YouTube. I used some exercises from there to cure it.

» Add a new message to this topic